PDA

View Full Version : The 7 Drummers Who Auditioned For Dream Theater: Part 1

MPF
11-21-2010, 09:08 PM
First drummer announced: Charlie Zeleny!

*Former drummer of Behold...The Arctopus and Blotted Science*

According to Charlie Z on his Twitter, these are the 3 songs he had to to learn to audition:

The Dance Of Eternity:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAcR3-4zYcQ

Metropolis Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Q9jXzHhW0

A Nightmare To Remember:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqfi23j8Inc

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUTyNAjmKjo

MPF
11-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Apparently I was wrong:

Wow, I really appreciate all the love with the comments on the Dream Theater videos but everyone seems to be misinterpreting what I've been saying. I just got wind of the audition tunes and put them up myself on my YouTube for everyone to see. DT saw them but I was not asked down to audition live. I wish whoever gets the drum chair in DT the best of luck and have a good idea of who it is. I personally don't think I am a drummer who is big enough or popular enough to fill the shoes of a drumming legend like Mike Portnoy. But I really appreciate all the support and love everyone has been giving me. I definitely have a busy New Year to try to keep anyone who has checked me out on the Dream Theater scene into things I do and hope to continue to make music and videos people like. Thanks everyone!

ravenheart
11-22-2010, 01:29 AM
To conclusions, you jumped.

MPF
11-22-2010, 12:41 PM
To conclusions, you jumped.

Yes. But when he made his Twitter comment saying He was unable to say if he auditioned or not, then posted these 3 videos, it's really hard not to jump to that conclusion.

MPF
11-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Virgil Donati *Auditioned, but didn't get the gig*
Peter Wildoer *Mentioned he did not audition*

So right now:

1. Virgil Donati

Travis The Dragon
12-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Guitarist John Petrucci of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER has issued the following update:

"Hey, everyone. Wanted to quickly let you all know what's been happening lately.

"I know that the big question is 'Who is the new DREAM THEATER drummer?' I also realize that some people are getting frustrated waiting for the news.

"Well, auditions went great and we do have someone but we are spending some time getting everything in order before making an official announcement. Let me just say that we are all incredibly excited about our choice and just bursting at the seams to let the world know!SOURCE (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=150660)

Hmmmmm, I wonder who it is.

gilpdawg
12-10-2010, 12:58 AM
My money is on Mike Mangini.

ravenheart
12-10-2010, 01:17 AM
My money is on Mike Mangini.

Good shout. Wouldn't mind that.

snowdog2112
12-10-2010, 01:41 AM
Thomas Lang?

Maiden33
12-10-2010, 06:45 AM
Mike Mangini is the guy rumored for it, because he just canceled all his lessons for next year, haha.

MPF
12-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Come on Fonz, you should know that I made a thread about the DT drummer situation already...but then again...

I've been hearing lots of rumors of potential drummers.

Mangini is one of them. So is Chris Maitland (ex Porcupine Tree). Peter Wildoer tired out and didn't get it, same as Virgil Donati, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Travis The Dragon
12-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I know MPF, but an official announcement deserves its own thread.

TonyD
12-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Of course it does, Fonz

ravenheart
12-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Man I would have loved Donati to get it.

ChildrenofSodom
12-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Steve Lombardo.

TonyD
12-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Steve Lombardo.

NO WHY WOULD HE LEAVE SLAYER

eyekantspele
12-10-2010, 08:15 PM
NO WHY WOULD HE LEAVE SLAYER

Isn't that Dave Lombardo? Or are you just making a funny?

ChildrenofSodom
12-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Isn't that Dave Lombardo? Or are you just making a funny?

Someone posted a flier from a show where the drummer from Slayer was going to be making an appearance and they called him Steve Lombardo, instead of Dave.

TonyD
12-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I was totally referencing that :eyes:
Yeah but I was just kidding.

ChildrenofSodom
12-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I was totally referencing that :eyes:
Yeah but I was just kidding.

Yeah, I know...it was funny. But this other dude didn't get it, so I let him in on the joke.

eyekantspele
12-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Yeah, I know...it was funny. But this other dude didn't get it, so I let him in on the joke.

Thats a good one! Is there a pic of that flyer somewhere?

MPF
12-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Hmm Steve Lombardo, interesting choice.

Wasn't he on the Slayer album that had Death Angel, Blood Rain, and Guy Who Has Sex with Dead Things?

makethemsuffer12
12-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Hmm Steve Lombardo, interesting choice.

Wasn't he on the Slayer album that had Death Angel, Blood Rain, and Guy Who Has Sex with Dead Things?

Don't you mean "Guy Who is Scared of Death?"

MPF
12-11-2010, 11:32 AM
Don't you mean "Guy Who is Scared of Death?"

One would think, but I wanted to end on a funnier name for a different song.

MPF
12-20-2010, 01:55 AM
Just for the record, this is indeed true..

Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives...(plus I know how much it meant to alot of the fans...)

I figured it was still possible to try and save us because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer...but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did...they didn't even tell me themselves....)

Sorry gang, I honestly gave it my all...
So now the fans on my twitter and facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DT...I tried, and the door is now shut...the ball is now in their court, not mine...

PS - I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this...I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys...no BS, no spins, nothing to hide...and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is...

I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of "looking for attention or media coverage" or "looking for sympathy", but it's honestly none of the above...I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans...always have, always will...it is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DT....

This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about...here on MY message board on MY website....if it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a "press release"....

Anyways, onward and upward...
I've got alot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010...bring on 2011!

MP

Well at least you can't say he didn't try coming back.

Sanitarium78
12-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Well at least you can't say he didn't try coming back.

True. I don't blame anyone in the band for not speaking directly to him and for not going for any reconciliation yet. Portnoy is the one that screwed Dream Theater over and left them hanging and they own him absolutely nothing right now.

Now that Portnoy has gotton his cheesy arena rock fix with A7X he wants back in Dream Theater now. Well, the guys are doing the right thing by not leting him back in and giving him time to think about what he did to them when he made that decision.

Derelict
12-20-2010, 07:46 AM
I used to have no real opinion on Portnoy, because I have no real opinion on Dream Theater - but man, what a little bitch this guy is.

JLRedWing13
12-20-2010, 08:20 AM
True. I don't blame anyone in the band for not speaking directly to him and for not going for any reconciliation yet. Portnoy is the one that screwed Dream Theater over and left them hanging and they own him absolutely nothing right now.

Now that Portnoy has gotton his cheesy arena rock fix with A7X he wants back in Dream Theater now. Well, the guys are doing the right thing by not leting him back in and giving him time to think about what he did to them when he made that decision.
I don't think either side was in the right with what happened. The other four didn't exactly want to compromise either. It was Portnoy's band, after all.

Sepultura69
12-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Thats a good one! Is there a pic of that flyer somewhere?

The flier is posted on Blabbermouth.Net but I think they took it off since the show they were advertising was for December 19th which was yesterday(which was actually at a venue 10 minutes away from my pad)

I posted the flier on another thread but here it is since you were curious about what it looks like

http://aka-cdn-ns.adtechus.com/images/496/Ad1319408St1Sz154Sq1754589V0Id1.jpg

BloodoftheKings
12-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Ex-DREAM THEATER drummer Mike Portnoy has revealed that he made a recent attempt to rejoin his former bandmates but was rebuffed by the group he formed and led for 25 years. Writing on his official forum, Portnoy states, "Just for the record, this is indeed true..

"Fairly recently, I reached out to the guys to try and make amends and offered to reconcile for the sake of having peace back in our lives… (plus I know how much it meant to a lot of the fans…)

"I figured it was still possible to try and save us, because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer… but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did… they didn't even tell me themselves….)

"Sorry, gang, I honestly gave it my all…

"So now the fans on my Twitter and Facebook can please stop asking me to go back to DREAM THEATER… I tried, and the door is now shut… The ball is now in their court, not mine…

"I'm not crying or looking for mercy by posting this… I am merely trying to set the record straight as that is always the most important thing about my relationship with you guys… No BS, no spins, nothing to hide… and for better or for worse, I tell it like it is… I've also recently seen some people accuse my online activity of 'looking for attention or media coverage,' or 'looking for sympathy,' but it's honestly none of the above… I merely value having an open and active communication with my fans… Always have, always will… It is the cornerstone of everything I've done since day #1 with DREAM THEATER…

"This was posted here FOR YOU GUYS to know about... here on MY message board on MY website... If it ends up on Blabbermouth or wherever else, that is THEIR choice to spread, I did not request it or send out a 'press release'...

"Anyways, onward and upward...

"I've got a lot of great music and ideas waiting to come out of me and alot of exciting collaborations in the works....so goodbye 2010

SAUCE (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151189)

:lol:

El Gordo
12-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't think either side was in the right with what happened. The other four didn't exactly want to compromise either. It was Portnoy's band, after all.

Was it really Portnoy's band though? I mean, I'm no DT buff - in fact I can't fucking stand them - but didn't Petrucci & Myung start the band with Portnoy in '85? I know Portnoy was considered the 'band leader' or whatever but I'd say Petrucci & Myung have equal ownership over a band they started and never left.

Natrlhi
12-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Already posted earlier today in another thread (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=324415&postcount=25).

The_jman
12-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Already posted earlier today in another thread (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=324415&postcount=25).
so doesn't that mean this thread fails more than portnoy?

idrinkwine732
12-20-2010, 10:46 AM

If not more.

Natrlhi
12-20-2010, 10:53 AM

If not more.I was just waiting for somebody else to say it so I didn't have to get labeled as the dickhead. ;)

300%_Density
12-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Dammit Fonzy!!!! I finally got one!!!!!!!!

idrinkwine732
12-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I was just waiting for somebody else to say it so I didn't have to get labeled as the dickhead. ;)

I somewhat see that as one of my purposes here. :D

Sepultura69
12-20-2010, 10:56 AM
MIKE PORTONY IS REALLY COOL

BloodoftheKings
12-20-2010, 11:09 AM
My bad. Go ahead and delete this thread.

Sanitarium78
12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Was it really Portnoy's band though? I mean, I'm no DT buff - in fact I can't fucking stand them - but didn't Petrucci & Myung start the band with Portnoy in '85? I know Portnoy was considered the 'band leader' or whatever but I'd say Petrucci & Myung have equal ownership over a band they started and never left.

As someone who's a big Dream Theater fan you are correct with your statement. It is just as much everyone else's band as it is Portnoy's at this point. Petrucci and Myung have put in the same time and musical effort as Portnoy has.

James wasn't with them in the begining or on the first album but he's been their singer since 1992 and it's damn sure his band as well. Jordan has been their keyboardist for 11 years and he's just as much a part of the band as everyone else is.

Don't anyone give me any garbage about it being "Portnoy's band" because he's not the only reason the band has been as successful as they've been. Mike will find that out on Dream Theater's next album that they can do it without him. I have complete faith in them.

Dextrimental
12-20-2010, 12:00 PM
As someone who's a big Dream Theater fan you are correct with your statement. It is just as much everyone else's band as it is Portnoy's at this point. Petrucci and Myung have put in the same time and musical effort as Portnoy has.

James wasn't with them in the begining or on the first album but he's been their singer since 1992 and it's damn sure his band as well. Jordan has been their keyboardist for 11 years and he's just as much a part of the band as everyone else is.

Don't anyone give me any garbage about it being "Portnoy's band" because he's not the only reason the band has been as successful as they've been. Mike will find that out on Dream Theater's next album that they can do it without him. I have complete faith in them.

Totally agree.. The only place Dream theater are Portnoys band is in the media, since Portnoy has himself out there the whole time representing them and getting all the press he can for them.. He has definitely helped boost their profile ten-fold, but they'd be in this same spot now that they've been for the last 4/5 years, just may have taken a little longer..

Travis The Dragon
12-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Dammit Fonzy!!!! I finally got one!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :party:

JRA
12-20-2010, 04:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo

davidis138
12-20-2010, 09:55 PM
The Prog Anthrax

TonyD
12-20-2010, 11:18 PM
The Prog Anthrax

:lol: troof

The_jman
12-22-2010, 03:17 PM
:lol: troof
They were once great but now are kind of becoming a joke?

The_jman
12-22-2010, 03:19 PM
I was just waiting for somebody else to say it so I didn't have to get labeled as the dickhead. ;)
that's ok, I can take the label, someone had to say it.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
12-22-2010, 05:01 PM
An idea so crazy it just might work.

Here's what I'd do if I was Portnoy. Since his credibility has taken a huge hit because of all this, He should get together his own band full of Prog-metallers (possibly some other ex-DT members), Make the Dream Theater album he always wanted to but wasn't able to and go out on tour doing only DT songs plus the new ones.

He could call it "Mike Portnoy's Theater of Dreams".

I'm sure the DT fanboys would eat it up.

Hey, it worked for Ozzy.

Who's with me? :eyes:

MPF
12-22-2010, 06:06 PM
I kinda agree. But I have two ideas.

1.) Mike does a solo album featuring some of the best musicians in Metal that he's friends with on various songs *Akerfelt, Wilson, Townsend, Morse, etc*

2.) put together the original version of OSI that was suppose top happen before that butthole Kevin Moore got involved. although not all the original members were announced, this is the lineup I would have loved to have seen and now for 2011 would work perfectly:

Mike Portnoy- Drums*
Daniel Gildenlöw- Lead Vocals/Guitar*
Jim Matheos- Lead Guitar*
Joey Vera- Bass
Derek Sherinian- Keyboards

* = Original Progressive Metal project before OSI

ravenheart
12-23-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm getting bored with it all now. Announce the damn drummer already.

ravenheart
12-28-2010, 03:26 AM
From an end of year Q&A at Roadrunner with John Petrucci:

Q: What’s the biggest lesson you learned this year?

Petrucci: "Don't let your drummer fill in for another band."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DementedX14
12-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Drummer Marco Minnemann (KREATOR, NECROPHAGIST) Rumored To Have Joined DREAM THEATER.

Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151559

TonyD
12-28-2010, 10:29 AM

Haha

MPF
12-28-2010, 10:47 AM

That's been out for a few weeks now but every time I read it, I laugh my ass off.

Drummer Marco Minnemann (KREATOR, NECROPHAGIST) Rumored To Have Joined DREAM THEATER.

Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=151559

I REALLY hope so. 3 was my 3rd choice *Charlie Zeleny and Peter Wildoer being 1 and 2* I like Mike Mangini, but I don't think he'd be a good fit. but Minnemann, he's fucking amazing!

Indestructible
01-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Since Portnoys out does that mean no Twelve-step Suite live?

Maiden33
01-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Since Portnoys out does that mean no Twelve-step Suite live?

Hopefully.

Indestructible
01-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Hopefully.

That would be something I would like to see live.

MPF
01-06-2011, 11:13 AM
That would be something I would like to see live.

Since all 6 songs are about Mike, It's not going to happen unless he is back in the band.

Natrlhi
01-06-2011, 12:05 PM

MARCO MINNEMANN IS A MOTHER FUCKING GOD. THAT IS ALL.

I didn't even click on the source link, I have basically no interest in Dream Theater, and I couldn't care less what happens with this band in the future, but I just had to say that. Necrophagist lost a lot when he departed, even though it was basically amicable from what I've heard. Romain Goulon is no slouch, mind you, but he's also no Marco Minnemann.

MPF
01-13-2011, 11:31 PM
According to Blabbermouth, Marco Minnemann...

You.............

Are.......

NOT THE FATHER!!!

I mean not the drummer of Dream Theater.

MPF
04-21-2011, 11:04 AM
So today Dream Theater released a trailer of sorts on their Facebook Page. I kinda hope they do make it into a full documentary DVD, but only after the reall announcement. But regardless, here is the 7 drummers in order that I recognized them:

1.) Mike Mangini
2.) Marco Minnemann
3.) Virgil Donati
4.) Thomas Lang
5.) Aquilles Priester
6.) Peter Wildoer
7.) Derek Roddy

daimonos
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
So today Dream Theater released a trailer of sorts on their Facebook Page. I kinda hope they do make it into a full documentary DVD, but only after the reall announcement. But regardless, here is the 7 drummers in order that I recognized them:

1.) Mike Mangini
2.) Marco Minnemann
3.) Virgil Donati
4.) Thomas Lang
5.) Aquilles Priester
6.) Peter Wildoer
7.) Derek Roddy

Couldn't see him being the drummer for DT in a million years, but if he got the job that's the best news I've heard in awhile :lol:

kommie
04-21-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't think anything can make this band sound any less depressing. While they're at it they should also get a new singer.

MPF
04-21-2011, 12:14 PM
I don't think anything can make this band sound any less depressing. While they're at it they should also get a new singer.

Because they are making a big deal about getting a new drummer. That is really depressing. :tp:

kommie
04-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Because they are making a big deal about getting a new drummer. That is really depressing. :tp:

I was more or less trying to say this band sounds horribly depressing, can't understand how people like them.

MPF
04-21-2011, 12:25 PM
I was more or less trying to say this band sounds horribly depressing, can't understand how people like them.

No I knew exactly what you were getting at.

It's because they have 10 Studio albums of quality music, with 5 top not musicians playing on every album. Sans the first album. As much hate as James LaBrie gets, he's a fuckload better then Charlie Dominici.

Just because a band has turmoil only shows they are human. Blame Blabbermouth for taking EVERYTHING out of proportion, not the band or Portnoy.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 03:33 PM

1.) Mike Mangini
2.) Marco Minnemann
3.) Virgil Donati
4.) Thomas Lang
5.) Aquilles Priester
6.) Peter Wildoer
7.) Derek Roddy

That's some impressive recognition. I would have got two of those.

And I know which one I want to get the job. I guess we'll see.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 03:35 PM

You've said that before. It was dumb then too.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 03:35 PM
As much hate as James LaBrie gets, he's a fuckload better then Charlie Dominici.

On DT evidence perhaps. Listen to Dominici's solo albums and re-evaluate.

MPF
04-21-2011, 03:54 PM
On DT evidence perhaps. Listen to Dominici's solo albums and re-evaluate.

Dominici's solo work is amazing hard to find. I know he had that 3 album project he did where the first album was acoustic, then the other two were heavy, but I've never been able to find them, let alone buy them at a somewhat reasonable price.

ravenheart
04-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Dominici's solo work is amazing hard to find. I know he had that 3 album project he did where the first album was acoustic, then the other two were heavy, but I've never been able to find them, let alone buy them at a somewhat reasonable price.

The first one is, I didn't think the second and third ones were. I have both, and they're pretty easy to get here for a sensible price (about £8/$13 each).

Maiden33
04-21-2011, 05:12 PM
On the Dominici vs. Labrie argument:

Charlie Dominici at his best still can't touch James Labrie at his best, which to me (and most) is the Images and Words album. When Labrie nails it, he nails it, and I love him. But overall I think the Dominici albums do well to service the quality of Charlie's voice. I gained massive respect for him as a singer and a musician with those albums. Granted, I LIKE When Dream and Day Unite, a lot (4th favorite DT album). But still, he shows very noticeable improvement there, and certainly sounds better than Labrie sounds at times.

Either way, I used to like Labrie a lot less than I do now, and he still would have NO hope of making a "top singers" list of mine based on his overall track record - but I don't in any way hope for his replacement. At this point, after NINE albums with the band, replacing a singer that has as much of a unique voice as Labrie would be impossible/pointless.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2011, 05:30 PM
I just watched the video on their facebook.

Jesus Christ, everything they do, they do too big. So melodramatic and self-absorbed. No one really cares about the journey, just announce a goddamn drummer and move on.

Maiden33
04-21-2011, 05:33 PM
I just watched the video on their facebook.

Jesus Christ, everything they do, they do too big. So melodramatic and self-absorbed. No one really cares about the journey, just announce a goddamn drummer and move on.

Clearly you've never met many hardcore DT fans.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Clearly you've never met many hardcore DT fans.

You're right. There is probably an army of tools out there just eating up all this manufactured drama.

Maiden33
04-21-2011, 06:00 PM
You're right. There is probably an army of tools out there just eating up all this manufactured drama.

Yeah, pretty much, including several friends of mine. It's kinda sickening actually. I mean, I'm not gonna lie, I CARE about the replacement and where they go from here. I consider them one of my top 10 bands, but I'm still about a billion lightyears from the typical hardcore DT fan(boy).

Dissimulate
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Yeah, pretty much, including several friends of mine. It's kinda sickening actually. I mean, I'm not gonna lie, I CARE about the replacement and where they go from here. I consider them one of my top 10 bands, but I'm still about a billion lightyears from the typical hardcore DT fan(boy).
Same here. That list of drummers is the exact same list that Sick Drummer leaked, and they predicted Mangini as the drummer DT decided upon, so that's probably true. The source is likely legit as nobody would have speculated Roddy as a replacement. I could see Roddy if they wanted to go even more metal or if they wanted even more wankey fills, but he's afaik a one-dimensional drummer and that dimension is pretty far removed from DT.

So with Portnoy out, who's going to do the embarrassing tough guy vocals?

Maiden33
04-21-2011, 07:12 PM

Hopefully no one.

Maidenmagic
04-22-2011, 05:45 AM
Hopefully no one.

But sadly that means several songs may have to be retired. (Constant motion, The dark eternal night etc.)

Maiden33
04-22-2011, 08:05 AM
But sadly that means several songs may have to be retired. (Constant motion, The dark eternal night etc.)

No loss whatsoever if you ask me.

daimonos
04-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Same here. That list of drummers is the exact same list that Sick Drummer leaked, and they predicted Mangini as the drummer DT decided upon, so that's probably true. The source is likely legit as nobody would have speculated Roddy as a replacement. I could see Roddy if they wanted to go even more metal or if they wanted even more wankey fills, but he's afaik a one-dimensional drummer and that dimension is pretty far removed from DT.

Can't agree with this. Obviously if you're playing in Death Metal bands your whole career you're not going to have much room to show your versatility, but he actually is a very interesting drummer, and I actually could see him playing Dream Theater like material. But I'd much rather have him playing stuff like Hate Eternal and Nile, like he has been.

treghet
04-22-2011, 02:44 PM
No loss whatsoever if you ask me.

Agreed. I never cared for those vocals whatsoever. And the majority of the songs that have them are nothing too special.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-26-2011, 08:17 PM
http://www.bravewords.com/news/160846

MPF
04-26-2011, 08:25 PM
http://www.bravewords.com/news/160846

No disrespect to you at all *and none of this upcoming rant in directed at you*, but this is the shit I'm talking about.

That's all people are doing now is making posts on Blabbermouth and elsewhere about one sentence Mike makes, then makes it the fucking headline.

Obviously that's all people are going for now. They are milking the whole DT controversy as much as they can because they know it gets people talking and now everyone hates everyone. "I HATE MIKE PORTNOY", "I HATE DREAM THEATER". Blah Blah Blah. Really? you're going to hate a band because the internet made the break up public and more unnecessary media exposure. Give me a fucking break.

It's one thing to say that DT's last few album aren't what they could have been, or hell even call them shitty if you must. But this shit is getting so far out of hand.

And what are both sides suppose to do? Stay out of the media? they both have albums coming out in the near future. They shouldn't have to.

The whole thing is just fucking annoying.

treghet
04-26-2011, 08:33 PM
That's all people are doing now is making posts on Blabbermouth and elsewhere about one sentence Mike makes, then makes it the fucking headline.

Obviously that's all people are going for now. They are milking the whole DT controversy as much as they can because they know it gets people talking and now everyone hates everyone. "I HATE MIKE PORTNOY", "I HATE DREAM THEATER". Blah Blah Blah. Really? you're going to hate a band because the internet made the break up public and more unnecessary media exposure. Give me a fucking break.

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, it's not just websites like Blabbermouth that are causing it. With this whole drummer search "documentary", the band is really taking it too far. Whether or not that's a basis to hate the band or not is just opinion, but they're definitely doing their part in this media uproar.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I couldnt care less about Portnoy or DT. I don't listen to them and I can't stand Labrie's vocals. Just thought some here might find the link of interest.

MPF
04-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I get what you're saying, but at the same time, it's not just websites like Blabbermouth that are causing it. With this whole drummer search "documentary", the band is really taking it too far. Whether or not that's a basis to hate the band or not is just opinion, but they're definitely doing their part in this media uproar.

And I can see what you're saying, but this is exactly what I wanted DT to do.

They documented the 7 drummers who auditioned. As a die hard DT fan, I wanted to see that. I didn't want to just hear about who tried out. this isn't anything radically different then every DVD they put out. They've been documenting themselves since 5 Years In a LIVEtime. I expect no less.

ravenheart
04-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Jesus Christ, they're actually going to release these shitty online videos as a documentary DVD called 'The Spirit Carries On'.

Interesting comment from the director Mike Leonard though: "We filmed with Mike Mangini (STEVE VAI, EXTREME, ANNIHILATOR) the night before his audition and both as a person and as a drummer, he impressed me the most. Mike is such an incredibly genuine and nice guy, just like all the members of Dream Theater. He’s also incredibly meticulous about making sure he does his part and gets all the details right. All of the drummers that we filmed with were incredibly nice and professional, but Mike really made a great impression on me. Then watching him play in real life blew me away – he’s a monster.He plays the most complicated things like they’re nothing, just incredible. I’ll never forget it."

brutal_descent
04-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Jesus Christ, they're actually going to release these shitty online videos as a documentary DVD called 'The Spirit Carries On'.

Interesting comment from the director Mike Leonard though: "We filmed with Mike Mangini (STEVE VAI, EXTREME, ANNIHILATOR) the night before his audition and both as a person and as a drummer, he impressed me the most. Mike is such an incredibly genuine and nice guy, just like all the members of Dream Theater. He’s also incredibly meticulous about making sure he does his part and gets all the details right. All of the drummers that we filmed with were incredibly nice and professional, but Mike really made a great impression on me. Then watching him play in real life blew me away – he’s a monster.He plays the most complicated things like they’re nothing, just incredible. I’ll never forget it."

/facepalm :tp:

treghet
04-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Well I just watched the last part of the audition documentary. It really felt like I was watching the finale of The Bachelor. But now I'm looking forward to seeing what they will do next. I'm still waiting for the "evening with" tour.

kommie
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm still waiting for the "evening with" tour.

I always thought that's all these conceited idiots did? :D

Indestructible
04-29-2011, 10:36 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=157462

TonyD
04-29-2011, 10:50 AM
NO ONE CARES

ravenheart
04-29-2011, 11:16 AM
That's finally over then.

makethemsuffer12
04-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Definitely not surprised with the choice.

To be honest, hate them all you want, but I actually enjoyed the documentary. It was cool to have some insight about the whole process.

ravenheart
04-29-2011, 11:50 AM

To be honest, hate them all you want, but I actually enjoyed the documentary. It was cool to have some insight about the whole process.

I'm watching the videos now for the first time. I agree, they're actually very good. It helps that particularly Petrucci and Rudess are excellent speakers.

Incidentally, is Myung a mute? :eyes:

ravenheart
04-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Haha, the moment they tell Mangini is awesome.

MPF
04-29-2011, 12:37 PM

Damn right. Fuck the haters!

I'm not surprised at all that Mangini is the new drummer. I really wanted Minnemann, but rumor has it he's got a side project with Petrucci and Rudess in the style of LTE in the works. That works for me. :rocker:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/4/29/8dff180b-f57b-495e-8d86-931b9f95c31b.jpg

Maiden33
04-29-2011, 08:01 PM
Yeah, I gotta be honest, I kinda enjoyed watching the videos, it was really cool to see the whole thing go down. And I am VERY confident in their choice, I'm sure Mangini will be a great fit for them. All the bullshit aside, I really hope their next album is the best since Scenes From a Memory, and I hope when they eventually tour again, they return to the "Evening With" format, and play songs aside from the 15-20 they've been playing way too much since 2009.

makethemsuffer12
04-30-2011, 05:51 AM
Damn right. Fuck the haters!

I'm not surprised at all that Mangini is the new drummer. I really wanted Minnemann, but rumor has it he's got a side project with Petrucci and Rudess in the style of LTE in the works. That works for me. :rocker:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2011/4/29/8dff180b-f57b-495e-8d86-931b9f95c31b.jpg

Haha that picture was my thoughts exactly.

Dextrimental
04-30-2011, 05:45 PM
I reckon Rudess and Petrucci will end up doing work with probably all the drummers auditioned, seems their sort of style to do so, and they seemed to enjoy all the auditions. The best thing about that documentary was hearing Myung speak, though around those guys I cant blame him for keeping to himself, Petrucci and Rudess are good speakers, and portray the feelings of the band well. And Labrie is the cheesiest frontman going!

Maiden33
04-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Labrie is the cheesiest frontman going!

"Welcome - to the family"

Ummm, yes - definitely agreed. :lol:

ravenheart
05-12-2011, 02:29 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Apparently Portnoy reconsidered and asked to rejoin the band... AFTER they'd hired Mangini, who had already resigned as a professor at Berkeley.

What a tool.

treghet
05-12-2011, 07:04 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Apparently Portnoy reconsidered and asked to rejoin the band... AFTER they'd hired Mangini, who had already resigned as a professor at Berkeley.

What a tool.

Old news man.

MPF
05-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Old news man.

Very Old News.

But in his defense he didn't know that they already had Mangini when asked to get back in.

Regardless , it's a fucked up situation, and luckily the drama will end when the tour starts up this summer.

ravenheart
05-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Old news man.

That he asked to get back in, yes. That he asked after they'd already chosen a new drummer, no.

JLRedWing13
05-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Just glad the drama is over. Hopefully the new album is good.