PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 5 Favourite Drummers

El Gordo
11-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm sure this has probably been done before, but not since I've been here, so have at it. I'm not talking about the BEST drummers necessarily, but your favourites.

DISCLAIMER - I am not a drummer. I have no formal or technical knowledge of drumming, percussion, etc. My best friend is a drummer and played in a band with me for 10+ years. I berated him constantly. As a guitarist it was my right. That said, I have mucho respect for the skinsmen.

1. Dave Lombardo (Slayer, Testament, Grip Inc., Fantomas, etc.) - Some ridiculously fast hands, and a master of the snare fill in a genre that generally relies on said fill a hell of a lot.

2. Neil Peart (Rush) - I'm assuming he'll be on a lot of lists. The flow, the technique, the super-serious unchanging face. He has it all and is seriously the best rock drummer ever.

3. Igor Cavalera (Sepultura) - Made a song as shitty as Roots Bloody Roots almost interesting. But seriously, Mass Hypnosis.

4. Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) - Did a hell of a lot with all those open spaces created by Iommi and Butler's riffage. Example: The Wizard.

5. Krzysztof "Doc" Raczkowski (Vader) - Maybe nothing spectacular as far as death metal drummers go, but he did some damn fine work on my favourite death metal tunes from my favourite death metal band. RIP.

daimonos
11-21-2010, 08:21 PM
I'll have to think really hard about this.

Sepultura69
11-21-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm sure this has probably been done before, but not since I've been here, so have at it. I'm not talking about the BEST drummers necessarily, but your favourites.

DISCLAIMER - I am not a drummer. I have no formal or technical knowledge of drumming, percussion, etc. My best friend is a drummer and played in a band with me for 10+ years. I berated him constantly. As a guitarist it was my right. That said, I have mucho respect for the skinsmen.

1. Dave Lombardo (Slayer, Testament, Grip Inc., Fantomas, etc.) - Some ridiculously fast hands, and a master of the snare fill in a genre that generally relies on said fill a hell of a lot.

2. Neil Peart (Rush) - I'm assuming he'll be on a lot of lists. The flow, the technique, the super-serious unchanging face. He has it all and is seriously the best rock drummer ever.

3. Igor Cavalera (Sepultura) - Made a song as shitty as Roots Bloody Roots almost interesting. But seriously, Mass Hypnosis.

:fist:

I was expecting to either here Niel or Dave the moment I clicked on this. Both Excellent Drummers. When Niel does his drum solos during rush's concert set...:drool:

Sepultura69
11-21-2010, 08:50 PM
I wouldn't necessarily call this a top five but here are 5 of my favorite drummers *

1. Dave Lombardo

2.Paul Bostaph

3.Neil Peart

4. Mick Harris :rocker:Its a shame he left Napalm Death in 91, his Drumming work on Harmony Curroption is incredible

5.Danny Carey

Honorable Mentions
* Mike Portonoy, Vinnie Paul, Mike Smith, Bill Ward, Igor Cavalera, Joey Jordison, Sean Kinney too many to name..:(

MPF
11-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Top 5:

Mike Portnoy *Musically, no longer professionally* *Dream Theater, A7X, Transatlantic, etc*
Gene Hoglan *Dark Angel, Testament, Strapping Young Lad, Feat Factory etc*
Richard Christy *Iced Earth, Death, Charred Walls Of The Damned*
Jean Paul Gaster *Clutch*
Dino Campenella *dredg*

Honorary Mentions:

Neil Peart *Rush*
Gavin Harrison *Porcupine Tree, OSI*
Jerry Gaskill *King's X*
Zach Hill *Hella*
Vinnie Paul *Pantera, Damageplan, Hellyeah*

powerslave_85
11-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Janet Weiss
Ben Koller
Dave Lombardo
Dave Grohl
Brann Dailor

ravenheart
11-22-2010, 03:02 AM
My favourites, and the ones I think are the best, are slightly different lists.

Best:

Igor Cavalera, Bill Ward, Jerry Gaskill, John Bonham, Mike Terrana

Favourite:

Bill Ward, Mike Terrana, Jean Paul Gaster, Ron Lipnicki, John Tempesta

Special mention:

Ivan de Prume, Mikkey Dee.

Indestructible
11-22-2010, 05:17 AM
1. Neil Peart(Rush)
2. Mike Portnoy(Dream Theater)
3. Van Williams(Nevermore)
4. Bill Ward(Black Sabbath)
5. Lars Ulrich(Metallica)

mastodon421
11-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Favorite Drummers in no particular order
Brann Dailor
Inferno
Blake Richardson
Dave Lombardo
Shannon Lucas

Maiden33
11-22-2010, 07:53 AM
-Bobby Jarzombek (Halford, Riot, Spastik Ink, etc)
-Mike Portnoy (ex Dream Theater)
-Mark Zonder (Fates Warning)
-Jason Rullo (Symphony X)
-Thomen Stauch (ex Blind Guardian)
-Nicko McBrain (Iron Maiden)
-Stian Kristoferson (Pagan's Mind)
-John Macaluso (Ark)
-Aquiles Priester (ex Angra)

smearCampaign
11-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Neil Peart
Danny Carey
Brann Dailor
Jean Paul Gaster
Shannon Lucas

no particular order.

Natrlhi
11-22-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm limiting this to five only, and citing personal favorites as opposed to some other deciding factor:

Danny Carey
Tomas Haake
Dave Lombardo
Marco Minnemann
Neil Peart

...in alphabetical order - not by preference.

Honorable Mentions:
Igor Cavalera
Brann Dailor
Aaron Harris
Gene Hoglan
Inferno
Des Kensel
Flo Mournier
Mike Portnoy
Sean Reinert
Pete Sandoval

IrritatedTrout
11-22-2010, 10:08 AM
1. Nicko McBrain
2. Brann Dailor
3. Neil Peart
4. John Bonham
5. Dave Lombardo

Indestructible
11-22-2010, 10:44 AM
1. Dave Lombardo (Slayer, Testament, Grip Inc., Fantomas, etc.)

I never knew Dave did anything with Testament.

SomewhereInTime72
11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Bill Bruford

5 times

ravenheart
11-22-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm limiting this to five only

Are you doing that because the thread title says "top 5"? ;)

makethemsuffer12
11-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Come on dude... really?

Indestructible
11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Come on dude... really?

What's wrong with Lars?

powerslave_85
11-22-2010, 03:03 PM
The fact that he fucking sucks?

PowerMaiden
11-22-2010, 03:12 PM

:lol::lol:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
11-22-2010, 03:22 PM
As big of a Metallica fan as I am Lars would never make my top 5 drummers. He's not as bad as some make him out to be though. He's decent at what he does and plays to the music well enough but when it comes to overall skill he's nothing that special.

makethemsuffer12
11-22-2010, 03:44 PM
What's wrong with Lars?

He is easily the most mediocre professional musician I can think of. I have nothing against the guy whatsoever, but his performances have really been lacking lately. I have nothing wrong with his actual beats (they're simplistic, but they fit with Metallica's music. I couldn't imagine anyone else drumming for them.), but his laziness/sloppiness live is just unexcusable. Just listen to them playing "Battery" at Download in '04 with Dave Lombardo and compare it to any of Lars' recent performances.

Sepultura69
11-22-2010, 03:58 PM
He is easily the most mediocre professional musician I can think of. I have nothing against the guy whatsoever, but his performances have really been lacking lately. I have nothing wrong with his actual beats (they're simplistic, but they fit with Metallica's music. I couldn't imagine anyone else drumming for them.), but his laziness/sloppiness live is just unexcusable. Just listen to them playing "Battery" at Download in '04 with Dave Lombardo and compare it to any of Lars' recent performances.

I remember that!. He is a fucking beast in that show!!! I think he also played another song(4 horsemen was it?) then Joey from Slipknot took over and played the rest of the set. Forgot the songs but I remember beautifully the "Battery/Lombardo" one...fuckin' epic :drool:

ravenheart
11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Lars on S&M = top 10
Lars the rest of the time = top 100

makethemsuffer12
11-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Lars on S&M = top 10

I don't know if I'd go that far. His performance is good, but not that good.

Indestructible
11-22-2010, 04:51 PM
I find nothing wrong with Lars, old or new Metallica.

El Gordo
11-22-2010, 05:33 PM
I never knew Dave did anything with Testament.

Really? Dude. The fucking Gathering.

What's wrong with Lars?

Replace Lars with any professional metal drummer and Metallica improves. Lars used to be competent, if unspectacular. He is a joke now.

maidenpriest
11-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Neil Peart
Mike Portnoy
Dave Lombardo
Van Williams
Danny Carey

honorable mentions:
Mark Zonder
Thomen Stauch
Jason Rullo
Charlie Benante
Paul Bostaph

JRA
11-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Neil
Keith
Alex Van Halen
Gene Hoglan
Bill Ward

evildeadjedi
11-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Gene Hoglan
Neil Peart
Dave Lombardo
Igor Calavera
Jean Paul Gaster

DethMaiden
11-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Alright, I used to have a standard list when I was in like 9th grade but I haven't thought about it in a long time, so let's give it a shot:

Neil Peart and Danny Carey are kind of on their own plane, but after them:

Jean-Paul Gaster
Steve Flynn
Phil Collins
Martin Lopez
Brann Dailor

JRA
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Just listen to them playing "Battery" at Download in '04 with Dave Lombardo and compare it to any of Lars' recent performances.

This is complete horseshit. Lombardo sucked balls on that performance. Why? Because he played it in exactly the same way that Lars did. He's "too humble" to actually play it his way and give the song some actual power. Fuck you Lombardo.

Also, I couldn't remember who Steve Flynn was so I looked him up on wikipedia and the first thing that came up was South states wrestling.

Derelict
11-23-2010, 06:50 PM
the dude in the middle

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/31/l_a7c103cec91db0a3e9553732b28cfc67.jpg

makethemsuffer12
11-23-2010, 07:15 PM
This is complete horseshit. Lombardo sucked balls on that performance. Why? Because he played it in exactly the same way that Lars did. He's "too humble" to actually play it his way and give the song some actual power. Fuck you Lombardo.

How about the fact that he actually played the double bass? To say he sucked on the performance is just straight up stupid. Yeah, he didn't add much of his own flavor to it, but he was just playing it how it was recorded. I don't see the need to be a dipshit and badmouth him just because he played the fucking song how it was originally done. You're talking like he kicked your kitten and had sex with your mom or some shit.

Indestructible
11-23-2010, 07:35 PM
I don't get the problem people have with Lars, even some Metallica fans are saying he isn't that good. His drumming is fine old and new Metallica, listen to Justice and Death Magentic.

Derelict
11-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Lars isn't terrible per se, he's just nothing special, and along for the ride

MPF
11-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Lars...

Put it this way. Both Mike Portnoy and Gene Hoglan are roughly Lars' age. Lars has no excuse to be as shitty has he has become other then the fact that he doesn't want to practice.

makethemsuffer12
11-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't get the problem people have with Lars, even some Metallica fans are saying he isn't that good. His drumming is fine old and new Metallica, listen to Justice and Death Magentic.

You do realize a lot of the drum tracks on those albums were pieced together in the studio, right? He rarely ever pulls that stuff off live.

ADD
11-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Brian Downey
Aesop Dekker
Frank Beard
Danny Carey
Nicko McBrain
John Bonham
Bill Ward
Mitch Mitchell
Dave Lombardo
Neil Peart
Jean Paul Gaster
Ben Koller
Bill Stevenson
Chris Hakius
Brant Bjork
Mario Rubalcaba
Scott Asheton
Chris Reifert
Gene Hoglan
Philthy Animal Taylor
Ian Paice
Billy Cobham
Buddy Miles
Cozy Powell
Des Kensel

That's enough for now :eyes:

JRA
11-24-2010, 01:18 PM
How about the fact that he actually played the double bass? To say he sucked on the performance is just straight up stupid. Yeah, he didn't add much of his own flavor to it, but he was just playing it how it was recorded. I don't see the need to be a dipshit and badmouth him just because he played the fucking song how it was originally done. You're talking like he kicked your kitten and had sex with your mom or some shit.

Lars always played the double bass on that song. I can't ever remember a time when he didn't do that for Battery.

maidenpriest
11-24-2010, 01:38 PM

i am a pretty big metallica fan and even i think Lars is easily one of the laziest drummers in Metal. first night of the death magnetic tour and he was the most disappointing of the 4. he didnt even bother doing the big double bass in fight fire with fire. it was sad.

makethemsuffer12
11-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Lars always played the double bass on that song. I can't ever remember a time when he didn't do that for Battery.

Well he doesn't do it well. Listen to any of their recent live recordings, you can't hear fucking shit from the bass drums during the part right after the solo and at the end. So even if he is doing it there's no power to it whatsoever.

Indestructible
11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
He rarely ever pulls that stuff off live.

I know there are a few songs from Justice he can't pull off live. I saw them last November and he did fine with the drumming.

rjturtle9
11-25-2010, 12:52 AM
I really like Lars' drumming on the first 4 albums, especially on justice, even though it was pieced together in the studio like a Frankenstein kinda thing. I've seen them four times, and he was horrible each time. Then went back and listened to the live recordings from the website. Even worse. If you watch any behind the scenes footage of Lars (Some Kind of Monster, Guitar Hero Footage, Big Four dvd of the practice room... just to name a few of my examples) he has trouble playing, and complains about it, even on his own songs. See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_i1ztxovqc

Well onto my list:

Neil Peart - The greatest ever! Seeing him play live is worth a Rush ticket alone.

Dave Lombardo - God of thrash drumming. He seems so into it live too. Better live then on album, even when the rest of the band sucks (inb4sepultura69bitching)

Bassil Silver - Yeah, that guy from Powerglove. Try to do what he does, I dare you! it's hard as shit. Even my drummer friend who doesn't like the band said the guy is insane.

Joey Jordison - Yeah, Slipknot was my first metal band, and Joey is still one of my favorites. He's a badass live, headbanging and windmilling, making everything look easy.

Dani - The little guy behind the drums in ChthoniC. With only a four piece, the guy does amazing fills that would make him seem to be behind a monstrous kit.

These are all from my head, but I'm sure is pretty accurate. Will list honorable mentions later if I remember any needed to be mentioned.

Sepultura69
11-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Dave Lombardo - God of thrash drumming. He seems so into it live too. Better live then on album, even when the rest of the band sucks (inb4sepultura69bitching)

:cool:

zgodt
11-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Zach Hill *Hella*

That dude is fucking ridiculous.

He actually drives me up a wall a bit. He doesn't know how to scale back. Nonstop frenzy.

zgodt
11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
1. Janet Weiss
2. John Wright
3. Bill Ward
4. Martin Lopez
5. Brann Dailor

I guess it's just me, but I hate the way both Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy play. Drum machines have more soul.

powerslave_85
11-29-2010, 08:11 PM
2. John Wright
NoMeansNo?

treghet
11-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Gavin Harrison is my favorite drummer by far. No one amazes me as much as him.

zgodt
11-29-2010, 09:54 PM
NoMeansNo?

Yep. Dude is fantastic. And his brother Rob is one of the best bassists on the planet as well.

JRA
11-29-2010, 10:45 PM
I guess it's just me, but I hate the way both Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy play. Drum machines have more soul.

Oh ADD, I have your first victim ready for beheading...

The Colonel
02-20-2011, 01:32 AM
My personal faves:

Dave Lombardo (Slayer/Fantomas/Testament)
Danny Walker (Intronaut/Exhumed/Murder Construct/Phobia)
Bryan Fajardo (Noisear/Gridlink/Phobia/Kill The Client)
Sean Reinert (Cynic/Death)
Dino Sommesse (Dystopia/Asunder/Ghoul)

Shadowswillfall414
02-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Mike portnoy-Dream theater
Neil peart-Rush
Joey jordison-Slipknot/Rob zombie
Ray luzier-Korn
Chris adler-Lamb of god

slapguitarer
02-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Neil Peart - Rush
Brann Dailor - Mastodon
Blake Richardson - BTBAM
Danny Carey - Tool
Danny Walker - Intronaut

HandOfDoom
02-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Danny Carey
Brann Dailor
Bill Ward
John Bonham
Dave Lombardo

ravenheart
02-20-2011, 01:18 PM
I've concluded I can't really name a list of the best drummers because I'm growing more and more certain that the best drummers around play in bands I don't listen to.

That said, I'm in total agreement with those who picked out Brann Dailor and Jean Paul Gaster. I also highly rate Martin Axenrot, Bobby Jarzombek, Joey Jordison, Igor Cavalera (still the best live drum solo I've ever seen and it was seven years ago), Ian Paice and Mikkey Dee.

After that, probably my favourite drumming performance of all time on record is one which can't really be backed up because it's his only one, and therefore it's hard to place him in any "best" lists due to lack of proof, but Ivan DePrume on White Zombie's 'La Sexorcisto' was outstanding.

ravenheart
02-20-2011, 01:40 PM
I take it back, De Prume has been pretty active and he still sounds awesome.

El Gordo
02-20-2011, 11:26 PM
I've concluded I can't really name a list of the best drummers because I'm growing more and more certain that the best drummers around play in bands I don't listen to.

That said, I'm in total agreement with those who picked out Brann Dailor and Jean Paul Gaster. I also highly rate Martin Axenrot, Bobby Jarzombek, Joey Jordison, Igor Cavalera (still the best live drum solo I've ever seen and it was seven years ago), Ian Paice and Mikkey Dee.

After that, probably my favourite drumming performance of all time on record is one which can't really be backed up because it's his only one, and therefore it's hard to place him in any "best" lists due to lack of proof, but Ivan DePrume on White Zombie's 'La Sexorcisto' was outstanding.

It's not a list of BEST drummers... it's a list of your FAVOURITE drummers... talent, skill, etc. really has no bearing, unless of course those are things that you care about.

hb420
02-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Martin Lopez
Gene Hoglan
Hanes Grossman
Frost
Richard Cristy
Steve Flynn
Tony Laurno
Mario Duplantier

ravenheart
02-21-2011, 02:30 AM
It's not a list of BEST drummers... it's a list of your FAVOURITE drummers... talent, skill, etc. really has no bearing, unless of course those are things that you care about.

Not only are they, they should be for every one else as well :p