PDA

View Full Version : Summer Abroad Recommendations?

DethMaiden
11-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Hey team. As you may know, I'll be doing an internship program that has me living in London from May 7th to July 2nd next year. We're there for eight weekends, during six of which our time is our own. Naturally I'm going to want to stay in England for several of those to see touristy sites and museums and Stonehenge, but I definitely want to travel around Europe a bit as well, maybe go to three different cities.

I'm locked in on Berlin, because I'm seeing Maiden there, but what other European cities can you guys recommend that are a) interesting, b) not terribly far from London (so no Moscow ;)), c) relatively inexpensive to travel to and relatively inexpensive while you're there?

I'm looking at Dublin and Madrid most seriously right now, but I'm hoping people can tell me things about their experience in those cities before I pull the trigger, and also tell me about lots of other cities. Thanks for the help guys!

Dextrimental
11-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Dublin would be cool for a weekend, it would be cheap and theres enough there for you to fill it with.. Plus if you do I could show you the sites, I live an hour away like :)

I recommend Brussels in Belgium, fantastic city, the architecture alone is IMMENSE.

Div
11-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Personally speaking I would go to italy if I could. My family is from rome & naples, so thats made me always want to go there and check it out. Obviously language is an issue, but otherwise I think it would be pretty cool.

ChildrenofSodom
11-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Don't know about the cost, but Stockholm is cool.

Derelict
11-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Out of everywhere I've been, Copenhagen (Denmark) and Gothenburg (Sweden) would make a nice weekend trip, especially in the summer. They are only a few hours apart by train.

EDIT: Anything I can help with, let me know - I've been through German, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Switzerland, Russia, Lithuania, Lativa, and Estonia.

idrinkwine732
11-19-2010, 09:32 AM
You really can't go wrong with Amsterdam or Brussels for a quick weekend too.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-19-2010, 09:37 AM
I've only been to Germany and France, but Munich was pretty cool. I only went to Strasbourg in France. I really wanted to see Paris but it was a six hour drive from where we were, so we passed.

DethMaiden
11-19-2010, 09:38 AM
You really can't go wrong with Amsterdam or Brussels for a quick weekend too.

I know this will be the top choice of all the college students I'm going with. :hecho: I'll probably pass.

idrinkwine732
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I know this will be the top choice of all the college students I'm going with. :hecho: I'll probably pass.

The city is a blast even if you don't want weed or hookers. I had a ton of fun and I was only fifteen at the time when I went there.

ravenheart
11-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Personally I've been to Dublin, Stockholm, Oslo, Prague, Copenhagen and Milan... I couldn't honestly recommend any of them :|

Well, Stockholm is cool. That would fill a weekend. And I liked Prague when I was there, but that was over seven years ago and I understand it's become a lot less pleasant in that time.

All of these places are cheap to get to if you book early enough. I can recommend cheap-ish accommodation in Milan, Copenhagen and Stockholm.

Derelict
11-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Personally I've been to Dublin, Stockholm, Oslo, Prague, Copenhagen and Milan... I couldn't honestly recommend any of them :|

Well, Stockholm is cool. That would fill a weekend. And I liked Prague when I was there, but that was over seven years ago and I understand it's become a lot less pleasant in that time.

All of these places are cheap to get to if you book early enough. I can recommend cheap-ish accommodation in Milan, Copenhagen and Stockholm.

Is there anywhere you do like, you miserable Englishman?

JRA
11-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Wherever the prostitutes are legal and the least likely to be kidnap victims.

mankvill
11-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Too bad you aren't staying there a few weeks more. The festival I want to go to most, Obscene Extreme, is July 7 - 9.

DethMaiden
11-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Too bad you aren't staying there a few weeks more. The festival I want to go to most, Obscene Extreme, is July 7 - 9.

I'll settle for Maiden and Rush. ;)

ravenheart
11-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Is there anywhere you do like, you miserable Englishman?

There's nowhere I've been to so far which lives up to its reputation, put it that way.

I include London in that statement.

larvtard
11-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I've been to Italy and that's it for Europe. Milan is horrible, don't go there. It's JUST like New York- fashion and business capital, extremely fast pace of life, people that live there are rude assholes. Only difference is that New York is awesome :D I mean, there's really nothing to do or see in Milan. HOWEVER, if you're a fan of churches, you need to go just for their Duomo. My absolute favorite church of all the ones I saw in Italy :cool:

Rome is cool, but a bit overrated. Florence sucks.

treghet
11-19-2010, 09:38 PM
There's nowhere I've been to so far which lives up to its reputation, put it that way.

Oslo has a reputation for being one of the worst cities in Norway (in terms of crime rate and run down areas), so it would be good if it didn't live up to that. :tongue: You should have gone to Bergen instead though.

idrinkwine732
11-20-2010, 02:16 AM
Rome is cool, but a bit overrated. Florence sucks.

Whoa whoa whoa. I could spend a whole month in Rome, the most fascinating city in Europe for sure. So much religious and Roman Empire history there to make me go crazy. I love Rome. :D

I do agree Florence sucks though.

Also, if you ever get the chance, go to Venice. It's what I thought Paris would be, but it's better than Paris because Paris has French people.

London isn't really as interesting as it's cut out to be from a tourist's standpoint, but the small but very noticeable contrast from America to Britain made living there fucking awesome.

es156
11-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Also, if you ever get the chance, go to Venice. It's what I thought Paris would be, but it's better than Paris because Paris has French people.

:lol:

larvtard
11-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Whoa whoa whoa. I could spend a whole month in Rome, the most fascinating city in Europe for sure. So much religious and Roman Empire history there to make me go crazy. I love Rome. :D

I do agree Florence sucks though.

I set my expectations too high :mad: Great city for sure, but my mind just had to be a manipulative asshole.
When we were initially planning the trip, none of us wanted to go to Venice (really touristy), but then after the trip was over, we realized we should've gone to Venice :hmm:

illuminatus917
11-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I'd go to Cartagena, Columbia. Beautiful city on the coast, lots of jungle, rolling mountains... plus you can take a day or two to get involved with the drug trade and make a quick buck.

zgodt
11-24-2010, 05:31 AM
Florence is spectacular.

ravenheart
11-24-2010, 06:55 AM
I'd go to Cartagena, Columbia. Beautiful city on the coast, lots of jungle, rolling mountains... plus you can take a day or two to get involved with the drug trade and make a quick buck.

Not quite in Europe though, is it? ;)

illuminatus917
11-24-2010, 10:48 AM
Not quite in Europe though, is it? ;)

Ah. Just read the title of the thread. I'd say stay out of the Balkans. For beauty, you can't go wrong with Austria. Vienna, Graz, Salzburg... all absolutely beautiful and natural. I'd also recommend Switzerland. Coolest cities in Italy would be Venice and Rome, should you make it this far south.

DethMaiden
11-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Ah. Just read the title of the thread. I'd say stay out of the Balkans. For beauty, you can't go wrong with Austria. Vienna, Graz, Salzburg... all absolutely beautiful and natural. I'd also recommend Switzerland. Coolest cities in Italy would be Venice and Rome, should you make it this far south.

I've been to Vienna and Salzburg. I wish I had gone after I took a course on Mozart, but hey, they were still cool.

I think Berlin is out now that Maiden fell through just because I've been there before, great city though it is. Now leaning toward Madrid, Dublin, and Budapest (I have a friend there).

Italy has never much interested me, my apologies to this thread full of apparent Italy lovers. :lol:

Derelict
11-26-2010, 09:44 PM
I'll be in Budapest next June, would be funny if we were there at the same time

DethMaiden
11-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I'll be in Budapest next June, would be funny if we were there at the same time

If it turns out we're gonna be we'll have to grab a beer or something. I'll keep you posted. :fist:

Derelict
11-26-2010, 09:49 PM
If it turns out we're gonna be we'll have to grab a beer or something. I'll keep you posted. :fist:

Oh hells yeah.

DethMaiden
03-20-2011, 08:15 AM
Hey all, resurrecting this thread:

Plans appear to be Dublin, Barcelona/Valencia, and Budapest/Stockholm/Paris/Rome right now, leaning Dublin, Valencia, Budapest. What I need to know now is what the cheapest flight booking website is for European travel? My usual Expedia is kind of a ripoff for international.

ravenheart
03-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Try RyanAir and EasyJet first. If they fly to your locations they are always the cheapest two.

brutal_descent
03-20-2011, 08:36 AM
b) not terribly far from London (so no Moscow ;))

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If you come, I'll promise I'll have Russian bears with beautiful women and vodka waiting for you.

+ Potatoes and meat for breakfast in the limo.

DethMaiden
03-20-2011, 03:49 PM
:lol: :lol:

idrinkwine732
03-20-2011, 03:52 PM
If youre traveling Europe on a tight budget, EasyJet is the way to go. Haven't ever flown RyanAir, though.

DethMaiden
03-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Shit, I just checked out a flight from London to Dublin on RyanAir and it was 9.98. :eyes: :eyes:

That...that isn't how flying works in America.

ravenheart
03-21-2011, 03:15 AM
Shit, I just checked out a flight from London to Dublin on RyanAir and it was 9.98. :eyes: :eyes:

That...that isn't how flying works in America.

Told you.

EasyJet are the slightly better line, but they don't fly everywhere. In fact, there are barely any destinations that both RyanAir and EasyJet fly to. I'm sure that's intentional. So if you want to go somewhere, check EasyJet first, and if they don't fly there, go for RyanAir. I've used both, frequently.

Natrlhi
03-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Wherever the prostitutes are legal and the least likely to be kidnap victims.Definitely Amsterdam, then. Plus, most of them are surprisingly hot. :eek:

Whoa whoa whoa. I could spend a whole month in Rome, the most fascinating city in Europe for sure. So much religious and Roman Empire history there to make me go crazy. I love Rome. :DThis. Rome fucking rules from a historical point of view. The people are...not exactly rude, but they pretty much keep to themselves and aren't very friendly. There's so much to see there, though, it's just disgusting. Be sure to take a good camera with you if you go.

Try RyanAir and EasyJet first. If they fly to your locations they are always the cheapest two.This. Just realize that EasyJet (and maybe RyanAir, too?) will charge you extra for a bunch of shit, including each and every bag - so be sure to go through the entire booking process - stopping just short of clicking the "Confirm" button, of course - on their web site before you compare prices.

My wife and I flew EasyJet from Amsterdam to Rome and back, and it was a pretty good deal. One other thing, though - GET THERE EARLY. The check-in lines for that airline can be fucking horrendous, and you could miss your flight. I would recommend queueing up about an hour before check-in time...no shit. We got there about thirty minutes before check-in and almost got screwed.

EDIT: Also, Wine was right about Amsterdam. There's a lot more to do than hookers and weed. The Van Gogh Museum was awesome. The Rijksmuseum was cool, too. My wife and I also took a bus tour which included the International Flower Auction in Alsemeer (cooler than you might think :)), the Delft pottery factory, Madurodam (a miniature model of the entire Netherlands that you can walk through - very cool), and several other sights. It's a pretty cool country with a very laid back bunch of people living in it. Plus, there might be a good metal show to go to while you're there! :metal:

Dextrimental
03-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Gimme heads up if you are heding to Dublin, I live just an hour from there :)

DethMaiden
03-21-2011, 08:09 AM
Dublin is a certainty. All we know we're doing there for sure is the Guinness tour.

Dextrimental
03-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Dublin is a certainty. All we know we're doing there for sure is the Guinness tour.

Cool cool! What dates are you coming over for?

DethMaiden
03-21-2011, 04:32 PM
Cool cool! What dates are you coming over for?

No idea yet. When I know you'll know.

ravenheart
03-21-2011, 04:42 PM
This. Just realize that EasyJet (and maybe RyanAir, too?) will charge you extra for a bunch of shit, including each and every bag - so be sure to go through the entire booking process - stopping just short of clicking the "Confirm" button, of course - on their web site before you compare prices.

My wife and I flew EasyJet from Amsterdam to Rome and back, and it was a pretty good deal. One other thing, though - GET THERE EARLY. The check-in lines for that airline can be fucking horrendous, and you could miss your flight. I would recommend queueing up about an hour before check-in time...no shit. We got there about thirty minutes before check-in and almost got screwed.

Check-in queue? What century are you living in grandad? ;) Check-in on line, then you just have to turn up in time to get through security. Fuck, I turned up 20 minutes before take-off once ;)

RyanAir charge for more than EasyJet do. As you're only going on weekend trips, just take a single piece of hand luggage. Then you won't have any baggage charges, they both only charge for large bags in the hold.

Speaking of EasyJet... really should book my flights to Sweden Rock...

idrinkwine732
03-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Dublin is a blast! I was going to apply to Trinity there but the amount of stuff I'd have to get done is craazy.

EasyJet is king for Europe travel. You can travel really cheap, it's great.

ravenheart
03-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Dublin is a blast! I was going to apply to Trinity there but the amount of stuff I'd have to get done is craazy.

Dublin disappointed me. It was just like London, but less interesting. If I go back to Ireland at any point I'll go somewhere more rural, I think.

EasyJet is king for Europe travel. You can travel really cheap, it's great.

Unless you want to go somewhere EasyJet don't fly, then you have to default to RyanAir, who probably do.

idrinkwine732
03-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Dublin disappointed me. It was just like London, but less interesting. If I go back to Ireland at any point I'll go somewhere more rural, I think.

Unless you want to go somewhere EasyJet don't fly, then you have to default to RyanAir, who probably do.

Rural Ireland is great too, but Dublin had a charm to it that London didn't. Everyone I met there was nice as hell and the attitude around the place just felt good.

Derelict
03-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Completely unrelated, but I think I'm hitting Iceland/Norway this June/July.

Natrlhi
03-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Check-in queue? What century are you living in grandad? ;) Check-in on line, then you just have to turn up in time to get through security. Fuck, I turned up 20 minutes before take-off once ;)We did check in online, but we still had to check bags in at the check-in counter. We were in Europe for ten days...couldn't fit all of our stuff into a backpack exactly. :rolleyes: ;)

treghet
03-22-2011, 10:21 AM

That should be a good time. Don't spend time in Oslo though. Bergen is a lot nicer.

Derelict
03-22-2011, 12:01 PM
That should be a good time. Don't spend time in Oslo though. Bergen is a lot nicer.

Flying in/out of Oslo, so I'm probably going to do a day or two there at the beginning, head to Bergen, then try to get as far north as I can.

larvtard
03-22-2011, 12:39 PM

Nice, I definitely want to go to Iceland. Norway too.

ravenheart
03-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Don't spend time in Oslo though

This.

ravenheart
03-22-2011, 01:00 PM
We did check in online, but we still had to check bags in at the check-in counter. We were in Europe for ten days...couldn't fit all of our stuff into a backpack exactly. :rolleyes: ;)

Well if you're gonna be a girl about it.

Natrlhi
03-23-2011, 10:50 AM
Well if you're gonna be a girl about it.Well, I'm not a girl, but the last time I checked, my wife is. Obviously, you know very little about traveling with women. :lol:

...and for the record, my wife is pretty low-maintenance (one of the many things I love about her), but asking any female to tour Amsterdam and Rome for over a week and pack everything she is going to need into a backpack - and a small one at that, because a large one would have to be checked - is like asking the Pope to become a fucking Hindu.

IT'S NOT GONNA FUCKING HAPPEN.

www.chicks-r-so-silly.com

DethMaiden
03-23-2011, 10:53 AM
I can do a weekend in a backpack no question, hell, I just did a week in one. As a rule I don't check luggage unless I'm going to be gone multiple weeks.

Natrlhi
03-23-2011, 10:55 AM
I can do a weekend in a backpack no question, hell, I just did a week in one. As a rule I don't check luggage unless I'm going to be gone multiple weeks.TL/DR: Brad is (probably) not a chick.

powerslave_85
03-23-2011, 10:57 AM
As long as you're not one of those douchebags who brings their huge suitcase on the plane and takes five minutes to cram it into the overhead :bouville:

DethMaiden
03-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Don't most airlines make you measure your bag before you get on so that can't happen? I've never really run into that problem.

powerslave_85
03-23-2011, 11:06 AM
I rarely see it enforced. Ever since they started charging for the first checked bag, people have gone from bringing purses and backpacks to full-blown suitcases. That's why it takes like 20 fucking minutes to get off the plane when you land.

In case you can't tell, I hate flying :lol:

Derelict
03-23-2011, 11:40 AM
As long as you're not one of those douchebags who brings their huge suitcase on the plane and takes five minutes to cram it into the overhead :bouville:

i used to hate those people, then it cost an extra $25 to check your first bag.

larvtard
03-23-2011, 12:39 PM
i used to hate those people, then it cost an extra $25 to check your first bag.

same, my family and I usually just bring our suitcases on the plane along with many other carry-ons. Blow me:cool:

DethMaiden
04-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Alright, folks. I've booked everything. Here's the weekends I'll be spending where. All other days between May 7th and July 2nd will be spent in London. If you're going to be there, or in any of these cities on the same weekend as me, let's get a drink:

Paris - May 28-30
Dublin - June 11-13
Madrid - June 25-27

ChildrenofSodom
04-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm going to have some flag patch catching up to do.

Derelict
04-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Alright, folks. I've booked everything. Here's the weekends I'll be spending where. All other days between May 7th and July 2nd will be spent in London. If you're going to be there, or in any of these cities on the same weekend as me, let's get a drink:

Paris - May 28-30
Dublin - June 11-13
Madrid - June 25-27

Looks pretty solid man

evildeadjedi
04-06-2011, 12:20 PM
So, is your lady friend tagging along?

DethMaiden
04-06-2011, 12:42 PM
So, is your lady friend tagging along?

Unfortunately not. :snivel:

evildeadjedi
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately not. :snivel:

Poor little Bradley :violin:

Just keep yourself busy and avoid hotel bars at all costs!

DethMaiden
04-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, I'm not so worried. ;) Fortunately I'm sharing a flat with three of my best friends, all of whom also have significant others back home, so we're going to keep each other honest. :tongue:

ravenheart
04-06-2011, 01:23 PM
If you're going to be there, or in any of these cities on the same weekend as me, let's get a drink

I won't be in any of them.

ChildrenofSodom
04-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, I'm not so worried. ;) Fortunately I'm sharing a flat with three of my best friends, all of whom also have significant others back home, so we're going to keep each other honest. :tongue:

:snivel:

Dextrimental
04-06-2011, 04:15 PM

Paris - May 28-30
Dublin - June 11-13
Madrid - June 25-27

Thats my birthday weekend bro, Journey are paying Dubin the 11th too, which is my actual birthday, so may very wel call you on that drink :D

Natrlhi
04-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Madrid - June 25-27Looks like you're missing Russian Circles / Boris by one day (they're playing Madrid on 6/24). Maybe you should adjust your itinerary. :snivel: