PDA

View Full Version : Band Members: Who's Nice and Who's a Dick to Meet

Pages : 1 [2]

Butcher of Birth
07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Jason Bittner and Joey Belladonna are both awesome. It was brief, but within 30 seconds of talking to them I knew they actually cared about what I had to say.

ravenheart
08-09-2012, 07:39 AM
So Blitz Ellsworth is the fucking man.

WOLVERINEKILLS
08-12-2012, 11:00 PM
The best of the best I have met - all super cool, down to earth and was more of a hang out session instead of a brief encounter:

Dimebag
Philip Anselmo
Rex Brown
Down - always cool dudes!!!
Rob Halford
Mastodon - especially Brent, he is hilarious
Dave Mustaine - one time he was very quiet the next time super cool
Joey Belladonna
Rob Zombie
Tommy Victor
Hank 3
Hatebreed - Sean Martin & Wayne Lozinak eras - very nice guys
KsE - Joel & Adam are hilarious
Chris Adler
Misfits - Michael Graves era

Others I've met that were nice but brief encounters:
Megadeth - Broderick era
Kerry King
Deftones
AiC - Duvall era
Korn - Jon Davis was weird, the others very cool, minus Munky
Lacuna Coil
God Forbid
In This Moment
Anthrax minus Dan Spitz
Machine Head
Kingdom of Sorrow
Witchburn
Josey Scott of Saliva
Kittie
Superjoint Ritual
Soilwork
Lamb of God
Shadows Fall
Arch Enemy minus Angela :( but with Gus G :)
Mikael from Opeth
Straight Line Stitch
Psychostick
Goatwhore
Dan Donnegan from Disturbed
Zakk Wylde
Evil J from Otep

slapguitarer
08-13-2012, 07:45 AM
After the Agalloch concert, I can confirm all the Cormorant dudes are super chill, and Haughm from Agalloch is super nice too.

Nater
08-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Sean Z and Mark Hunter from Chimara are both super awesome. Mark is a bit quiet but Sean will talk all night and playing Saints Row 3 with him is kickass

RampinUp46
08-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden was kind of off last night. He was cool enough to pose for a picture and shake hands, but he was a bit rude along with that.

...Maybe I just caught him on an off day.

Onioner
09-18-2012, 06:22 PM
I'm bored so I'll throw in the musicians I've met.

Steve "Zetro" Souza- Met him twice, once at an Armored Saint show in 2010 and at the Death to All show last June. Super nice guy, and happy to talk to fans no matter how nerdy they get (aka me two years ago). Also didn't talk shit about anyone, even when he was baited by some assholes.

Armored Saint- They did a signing at the show mentioned above. I ran into Joey Vera before and he apologized for moving the signing until after the show and was super stoked to see my La Raza LP. All the guys ended up checking it out and talking to me about it at the signing. Gonzo Sandoval even drew a little snare drum on the cover and John Bush happily personalized it even though I had to spell my name letter by letter for him.

Chuck Billy- Met him at a Halford concert two years back. I again fanboyed out because I still hadn't met a lot of musicians yet, but he was being really bugged by some older fans who wouldn't leave him and his wife alone and people baiting him for photos, so he wasn't in that great of a mood. He still talked to me for a little bit though and told me that Dark Roots of Earth (he obviously didn't refer to it by name then) was set to come out in Spring 2011. That obviously didn't happen haha.

Cormorant- I met Arthur at Slim's a couple weeks back and introduced myself as Justin Weis' intern. I think that made him happy to see someone who knew Justin and we talked about him for a bit, then I mentioned that I write for Metal Assault and asked if he would like to do an interview. He said sure and got everyone together after their set (after some Spinal Tap like backstage maneuvering haha). The interview was really fun- it was more like a transcribed conversation than an interview, but I think I managed to answer a lot of lingering questions at the same time. We all then talked about audio engineering, metal journalism, Billy Anderson and Justin Weis for a bit longer and they were all really really cool to me. Arthur's wife is also super sweet and made sure I could fit into the shirt I bought before she took my money.

Don Anderson from Agalloch- Very, very sweet guy. He hung out on the floor minutes after their show in SF last August and signed anything that fans wanted autographed. We talked about Marrow of the Spirit for a bit and about Justin Weis, who mixed and mastered the album. He also pointed me in the direction of Billy Anderson who engineered Faustian Echoes (and a fuckton of other amazing albums like Dopesmoker) and did the live sound on the last tour.

Billy Anderson- Nice guy, but seriously weird as hell. We talked a bit more about Justin (I literally came straight to the show after working at Trakworx that day) and about audio engineering careers and whatnot. He told me not to go to Full Sail University because they would steal all my inheritance. :eyes:

Aesop Dekker from Ludicra/VHOL/Agalloch- Also met him after the Agalloch show. Cool dude, very laid back. We talked about working for Justin, VHOL and Ludicra for a bit. He said I should go say hi to John Cobbett but I got lazy and wanted to go home.

Charlie Benante from Anthrax- I ended up getting to do a drum duel with him and another kid at the Metal Masters Clinic in LA last April. He was very chill and honest with me when I asked him a bunch of Anthrax questions (they're pretty much never gonna play Gung-Ho again :( ) and we talked about Van Halen oddly enough haha.

Dave Ellefson and Chris Broderick from Megadeth- Also at the Metal Masters Clinic. We talked about the American Carnage tour mainly, and about how I was at the SF show where they played My Last Words. Both were real friendly. As we were talking Phil Anselmo walked down and pretended to punch all of us and then said what's up haha.

Dave Lombardo from Slayer/Philm- Met him at the Metal Masters Clinic and also talked to him briefly at Slaughter by the Water. Dude tried to get me a pair of sticks after the drum duel but security booted me out of backstage before he could get me a pair. At SBTW I talked to him about Metal Assault and Andrew Metalhead for a bit, but he was setting up for soundcheck for Philm so he was in a hurry and couldn't really talk a whole lot. I think he's a cool dude to talk to when he isn't occupied with something, but if he's busy he can kind of come off as a jerk. He and Andrew were pretty good friends while he was still in LA so I know he's a good dude.

Lips from Anvil- The first time I met Lips was two years ago after an Anvil show in SF. It was a big crowd so he was super cheery and talkative. I met him again after seeing the band play in LA a year later. The police were blocking the band's van from getting out of the Sunset Strip, so he wasn't in a good mood at all. He still signed stuff for the kids though.

Impaled- The funniest fucking dudes I've ever met. Ross Sewage had a zinger for every question I asked him, and he and Sean McGrath are the perfect comedy duo. I exchanged emails with Raul Varela frequently when we were going over interview stuff and he was super nice and understanding when Metal Assault ran into some hiccups with the interview. I also talked audio engineering stuff with Jason and he had some very kind words to say about the interview when I asked him if there was anything I could improve on a few days afterward.

Death Angel- I met Mark Osegueda before their show in Santa Clara in 2011 and talked mainly about the tour with him. I mentioned that I was the guy he pointed out at their SF show who yelled "chug chug chug" and he got super excited and said he remembered me. My buddy also was doing a paper on the bay area thrash scene for a class and Mark happily gave him a few quotes to use. I talked to Ted Aguilar during one of the opening bands and we talked about the tour and his time in the band, he was also a very cool and laidback dude. I ran into Will Carroll after the show as well and he was super tired and in a hurry to load stuff up, so he didn't really want to talk much. I later met the whole band at a signing in LA before the Anthrax show and they were all super jolly and nice. I reminded Mark about me being the "chug chug chug" guy and everyone started laughing because they all remembered that and got super excited and stoked to see someone from the bay at the show. They all yelled "chug chug chug" as I walked out of the signing area haha. At the show I ran into Damien Sisson like twenty minutes before Death Angel went on. He remembered me from the signing and we talked about how he and Will joined the band and how the tour was going. He was also super outgoing and nice.

Matt Harvey from Exhumed- I ran into him after their set at Summer Slaughter last month. It turns out he and I have both lived in the same area of San Jose so we talked about the area for a bit, talked about the Napalm Death/Municipal Waste tour, a bit about Metal Assault and the current tour (dude said it was a clusterfuck).

Exodus- Gary Holt is at every other show in the Bay when he's not touring, so I used to see him around a lot. He's always been super engaged when I've talked to him and holds nothing back about his opinions. A few of my friends are close with him and his family and he apparently throws crazy parties haha. I've met Tom Hunting a couple times, once at the Bonded By Baloff show last March and again at a AC/DShe and Hell Fire show last Friday. He was super shy when I approached him as a fan, but when we were just hanging out backstage with friends he was really social and happy to talk drums with me for like 20 minutes.

Heathen- Dave White is one of the nicest dudes ever. I met him two years ago after an Exodus/Heathen show and I guess he wasn't used to meeting young fans at the time, so he got really excited and we talked about Heathen for a bit, went out of his way to learn me and my friends' names and what part of the bay we came from to see the show. I later met him again at the Bonded By Baloff show and he actually remembered me from two years ago and signed my Evolution of Chaos LP. He then asked me to be the first to autograph a notebook he bought for his fans to sign! I then ran into Kragen Lum at the merch booth and he was nice as well and pointed me towards Darren Minter and Lee Altus after signing my cover. Darren and I talked drums for a little bit, while Lee was busy with his friends and just signed my cover. A buddy of mine met him at another show and said he was talkative though, and he always invites kids up onstage to play his guitar when Exodus or Heathen do a big jam ending.

Paul Bostaph from Forbidden/Testament/Exodus-Met him at the Bonded By Baloff show. We talked Blackgates (his main project at the time) and his drumming on The Formation of Damnation for a bit. I didn't feel like bugging him for long, so I took off after a couple minutes. He was cool to me when we did talk though.

High On Fire- I met all those guys at a show in Santa Cruz a year ago. Jeff Matz's sister in law was my (awesome) boss for about a year, so we hit it off right away. Des Kensel seemed kind of crabby and just signed my Death is this Communion LP cover and walked off. Matt Pike talked with me and my friends for a little bit about Sleep, guitar and some other stuff and signed my LP cover without me even having to ask. Dude bailed super quick when one fan got really creepy and wouldn't let go of his hand after shaking it haha.

Holy Grail- Eli Santana is super talkative and nice- we chatted about Exodus and Armored Saint from what I remember. James Paul Luna is a lot quieter (I think he does it to save his voice) and didn't really talk a whole lot.

Vektor- I talked drums with Blake Anderson at the LA show in January or February and I interviewed David DiSanto recently. Blake is really nice and David's kind of an oddball haha. He's real nice too though, and posed for photos and signed a ton of stuff after the show.

YOB- I met Aaron Reiseberg and Mike Scheidt after their show in Berkeley a year ago. They're both the sweetest dudes in the world (Mike is a heavy metal wizard teddy bear) and signed all my stuff and talked to me for a good while and made sure to learn my name. My poster with their awesome signatures and doodles is hanging over my computer right now.

I've also met and hung out with a lot of smaller bands over this summer like Hatchet, Fog of War, Hell Fire and Witchaven. When I hung out with Witchaven at a friend's house it was like 4 in the morning and we just got super serious and talked about the economy and life as a working musician. This was all while they were passing around a bong haha. The Hatchet dudes are all buddies of mine and they've always been super chill to hang out with. The Fog of War dudes are all really laid back and fun, and the Hell Fire guys really know how to party haha.

street_burial
09-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Death Angel- I met Mark Osegueda before their show in Santa Clara in 2011 and talked mainly about the tour with him. I mentioned that I was the guy he pointed out at their SF show who yelled "chug chug chug" and he got super excited and said he remembered me. My buddy also was doing a paper on the bay area thrash scene for a class and Mark happily gave him a few quotes to use. I talked to Ted Aguilar during one of the opening bands and we talked about the tour and his time in the band, he was also a very cool and laidback dude. I ran into Will Carroll after the show as well and he was super tired and in a hurry to load stuff up, so he didn't really want to talk much. I later met the whole band at a signing in LA before the Anthrax show and they were all super jolly and nice. I reminded Mark about me being the "chug chug chug" guy and everyone started laughing because they all remembered that and got super excited and stoked to see someone from the bay at the show. They all yelled "chug chug chug" as I walked out of the signing area haha. At the show I ran into Damien Sisson like twenty minutes before Death Angel went on. He remembered me from the signing and we talked about how he and Will joined the band and how the tour was going. He was also super outgoing and nice.

jelly. I'd love to be able to meet them, let alone do all that haha

John The Drummer
09-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Just a quick addition to my list....

Tyr - The singer comes off as an EXTREMELY reserved and anti social guy, at least before they took the stage. I tried talking to him a little bit, but didn't receieve more than a nod or a single word response, oh well. Their drummer on the other hand is a very cool dude who wanted to talk-talk-talk-talk but had to take the stage :lol:

Ken from Abigail Williams is a very awesome and laid back person. I only talked to him for a few minutes since it was getting late, but he told me/my band to hit him up on the Facebooks and keep in touch, (I know musicians say that everyone, but still!) since he is moving to Portland, OR in a couple weeks.

Onioner
09-19-2012, 06:51 PM
jelly. I'd love to be able to meet them, let alone do all that haha

If they come by your town on any tour, you'll definitely be able to meet them if you want to, they're all really social guys. I'll be interviewing one of them next month, it'll be funny if Mark still remembers me at the "chug chug chug" guy haha.

Solarian13
09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Flo Mounier (Cryptopsy) did a free drum clinic here yesterday. He's a super nice guy, totally down to earth, and really inspiring to watch/learn from.

RampinUp46
09-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Goatwhore - All good guys from what I can remember, didn't mind me sitting onstage (had a torn calf - technically shouldn't have gone, but fuck you, it's Goatwhore). Louis in particular was really cool.

Kimberly Freeman (One Eyed Doll) - Really sweet, cares a lot about her fans and takes time with all of them. She even complimented my Opeth shirt (her band was opening for Otep - I was going with a friend and wore the shirt to play off the Otep/Opeth confusion).

The Colonel
01-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Gotta add the dudes from Sacred Reich to the list of super nice guys. Met Phil Rind quite a few times, he's pretty much a fixture at metal shows here in AZ. See the other guys around a bit too, but never officially met any of them until being introduced to Greg Hall at Down last week. Great dudes, and they always seem to be almost surprised that people like their band! Being a young punk/metal kid in Phoenix, Sacred Reich were gods to me back in the day, so meeting them and them being rad people is really cool for me.

ravenheart
03-26-2013, 02:16 AM
Add Udo Dirkschneider to the list of cool guys.

John The Drummer
03-26-2013, 12:30 PM
I didn't personally meet Karl Sanders, but my two guitarists did at the Nile show last week. They went up to him and said "We love your Mashall amps....." and then Karl proceeded to talk about amps with them and was completely cool. One of my guitarists asked if Karl was going to be using one of his guitars that my guitarist LOVES for the show, Karl replied with "No" but then offered to get it off of the tour bus and let my guitarist check it out.

Seemed like a really cool guy! I have heard some stories about him being a dick, so that was nice to hear something good. Also, George Kollias messed something up on his drums and Karl started a "DON'T BREAK YOUR DRUMS GEORGE" chant :lol: :lol: :lol:

christopher
03-26-2013, 06:32 PM
I didn't personally meet Karl Sanders, but my two guitarists did at the Nile show last week. They went up to him and said "We love your Mashall amps....." and then Karl proceeded to talk about amps with them and was completely cool. One of my guitarists asked if Karl was going to be using one of his guitars that my guitarist LOVES for the show, Karl replied with "No" but then offered to get it off of the tour bus and let my guitarist check it out.

Seemed like a really cool guy! I have heard some stories about him being a dick, so that was nice to hear something good. Also, George Kollias messed something up on his drums and Karl started a "DON'T BREAK YOUR DRUMS GEORGE" chant :lol: :lol: :lol:

I met Karl once outside of my first Nile show in 2008 and he seemed really nice.

PVH5150
03-27-2013, 04:48 AM
I can't ever recall meeting anyone that was a dick.
Here's a list of the nice ones I've met.

Doug Aldrich. Met him in 2011 in the parking lot of the Webster Theater in Hartford, CT on the 2nd date of Whitesnake's Forevermore tour. Super nice guy.

Gary Cherone. Met him in 2009 at the Regent Theater in Arlington, MA. Him & his brother, Mark, have a Who tribute band called Slip Kid that do a few local shows a year when Gary is free. I delivered 3 cabs to the venue for Mark's guitar rig. Got to talk with Gary about music for a half hour or so. Another wicked nice dude.

Rex Brown & Vinny Appice. Met them last summer at the Rock Junction in West Greenwich, RI at one of Kill Devil Hill's shows. They were just hanging outside the venue before doors opened. Both were awesome.

Mark Tremonti & Wolfgang Van Halen. Same place as Kill Devil Hill a few weeks later. It was actually the first ever Tremonti show. Wolf was called in as a last minute replacement, so I was stoked about that. Both super nice.

Lita Ford. Met her twice. During last summer, she was opening for Def Leppard & Poison. The afternoon before that show, she did a meet n greet at Guitar Center in Boston. There were maybe only 30 people that showed up, so she spent a few minutes talking to each fan. Such a sweetheart. The day after the Def Lep gig, she did a mini-solo set at the Newbury Comics in Norwood. Picked up her solo album & she and her whole band signed it. Mitch Perry, Pat O'Brien, Gary Hoey & Scotty Coogan are in her current band. All really nice people.

Ace Frehley. Met him at the Rock N Shock convention at the DCU Center in Worcester, MA in 2011. This was a couple weeks before his book, No Regrets, was due to be released. Got the book personalized to me & a picture. I was wearing my Ted Nugent shirt and Ace looks up and goes "Hey, that crazy bastard's a friend of mine." Real nice guy. Good to see Ace staying clean.

Sully Erna. I'd heard horror stories about him being a complete douche so I went not expecting much. Him & his solo band were doing a signing at the now defunct Daddy's Junky Music in Dedham, MA. Must've caught him on a good day. One of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Onioner
03-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Got to meet Joe and Martyn from Orange Goblin the other day. Both were super cheery, jolly and fun. They also kept offering me beer haha.

MetalMaxine
03-29-2013, 08:22 AM
I met Doro and some of the guys from 3iob and Goatwhore. They were all really cool. They all had shows here recently.

The guys from Mastodon were freakin awesome. Even Brent. He could be a dick.

Shadows Fall are cool guys too.

We also caught Zakk Wylde after a show here a couple years ago. Just by chance. My friends and me told him how awesome him and the show was and he said thanks and signed my friends chest. Lol

No dicks really except the drummer from Sepultura. It wasn't directed at me,but he was telling some fans after the show to go F themselves. Maybe they asked him for a kidney or whatever. Lol

We staked out Judas priest bus after a show but no luck. Lol

MetalIsArt
03-29-2013, 08:24 AM
I met Doro and some of the guys from 3iob and Goatwhore. They were all really cool. They all had shows here recently.

The guys from Mastodon were freakin awesome. Even Brent. He could be a dick.

Shadows Fall are cool guys too.

We also caught Zakk Wylde after a show here a couple years ago. Just by chance. My friends and me told him how awesome him and the show was and he said thanks and signed my friends chest. Lol

No dicks really except the drummer from Sepultura. It wasn't directed at me,but he was telling some fans after the show to go F themselves. Maybe they asked him for a kidney or whatever. Lol

We staked out Judas priest bus after a show but no luck. Lol

You mean Igor Cavalera?

Coma323
03-29-2013, 09:22 AM
William DuVall from AiC has always been super nice every time I've met him. The last time I saw AiC he hung out with my friends and I in the hotel lobby until well past 3am just chatting about music and everything else in life.

toolfansat
03-29-2013, 10:05 AM
It sounds like all metal band members should just be hanging out, knitting sweaters and discussing the grandkids!!

MetalMaxine
03-29-2013, 10:09 AM
You mean Igor Cavalera?

No. The guy who replaced him. I don't know his name. They came here last year with Death angel, Havok and I forget who else. Anyway we were just standing by our car and all out of nowhere we hear the yelling. Look over and it was the drummer. Maybe he wasn't actually a dick. I don't know what the guys said him. He just started yelling " get the f out, go f yourselves " Really going to town on them. The guys just walked away. Weird stuff. Lol

MetalIsArt
03-29-2013, 11:23 AM
No. The guy who replaced him. I don't know his name. They came here last year with Death angel, Havok and I forget who else. Anyway we were just standing by our car and all out of nowhere we hear the yelling. Look over and it was the drummer. Maybe he wasn't actually a dick. I don't know what the guys said him. He just started yelling " get the f out, go f yourselves " Really going to town on them. The guys just walked away. Weird stuff. Lol

:D

RampinUp46
04-05-2013, 06:40 AM

Eloy Casagrande?

ravenheart
04-05-2013, 07:40 AM
William DuVall from AiC has always been super nice every time I've met him. The last time I saw AiC he hung out with my friends and I in the hotel lobby until well past 3am just chatting about music and everything else in life.

Probably just too polite to tell you all to fuck off and go home ;)

Epidemic Reign
04-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Met all the guys from Soilwork yesterday. The only one I really had a conversation with was Bjorn (the singer) and he was cool. It was a really small venue so the whole band just hung out throughout the whole show. I'll post a set list and review later if no one beats me to it.

mastodon421
04-25-2013, 10:02 AM
From NEMHF:
Awesome:
Anthony Notarmaso (After the Burial)-fucking awesome dude, up there with Trevor Strnad, Shannon Lucas and Devin Townsend as the nicest musicians I've ever met.

Pretty Cool:
Ronnie Canizaro (Born of Osiris)

So high on some good shit (not talking weed kids) that he seemed confused as to what I was saying:
Cameron Losch (Born of Osiris)

Didn't talk to any of them, but the guys from Battlecross were upstairs for most of the day and they seemed like pretty awesome dudes as well.

RampinUp46
05-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Barney from Napalm Death was badass. My friend and I snuck backstage (accidentally, I swear), and he was more than happy to chat with us and actually said "Nah, they can stay" when a security guard asked if he wanted us removed.

Onioner
05-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Barney from Napalm Death was badass. My friend and I snuck backstage (accidentally, I swear), and he was more than happy to chat with us and actually said "Nah, they can stay" when a security guard asked if he wanted us removed.

Barney's awesome. One of the most polite musicians I've ever met too.

adamclark52
05-15-2013, 12:01 PM
Barney's awesome. One of the most polite musicians I've ever met too.

After a club show in Ottawa a few years back he exited the venue through the crowd and the front doors, signing, taking photos and chatting. And he didn't seem to be bothered to do it one bit. I was going to go get a photo but I lost him in the crowd.

hellawaits77ny
05-16-2013, 04:53 AM
Never met him, but have heard nothing but good things about Barney.

Addicted2metal
04-16-2014, 12:41 PM
All members in Digital Summer are very awesome guys!!!

MPF
04-16-2014, 01:33 PM
I haven't done this in a while:

Mike Mangini of Dream Theater: Very cool guy. A very intense guy when it comes to drums but awesome to talk to.

Hannes Van Dahl of Sabaton: One of the coolest drummers I have met in quite some time. Let me go up on the First Avenue stage and take pics of his drumkit. So I got to live out one of my biggest dreams thanks to him (being on the First Avenuestage behind a drumkit)

Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth- Another intense no bullshit guy. But a guy you gotta respect at least musically. I'll leave politics aside.

Matt Young Of King Parrot- The Henry Rollins of Grindcore. So humble in person and absolutely insane on stage.

Ben Weinman of The Dillinger Escape Plan- Absolutely hilarious and a great guy to hang with.

Jorgen Munkeby of Shining- A very down to earth guy. Has incredible stage presence live but humble and very knowledgeable guy to talk to off stage.

TehBr00tulz
04-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Sven from Aborted is an absolutely hilarious guy to hang out with, and puts on an incredible performance with little to no practice or warming up.

Every member of each band on the Decibel tour were incredibly friendly and really nice guys, especially Jeff Walker from Carcass and Trevor Strnad from Black Dahlia (who was also drunk off his ass, but that's nothing new).

ravenheart
04-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Forgot all about this thread. Add Adrian Vandenberg and Glenn Hughes to the cool guy list. Adrian is just an all round nice guy. Glenn is cool, but you can tell there's a big ego in there.