PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen -- Des Moines, IA -- May 26th, 1986

JudasPriest89
11-13-2010, 08:25 AM
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/van-halen/1986/veterans-memorial-auditorium-des-moines-ia-6bd7fe92.html

01.You Really Got Me (The Kinks)
02.There's Only One Way To Rock (Sammy Hagar)
03.Summer Nights
04.Get Up
05.Alex Van Halen Drum Slo
06.Dreams :party:
08.Michael Anthony Bass Solo
09.Panama
10.Best Of Both Worlds
11.Love Walks In :rocker:
12.Good Anough
13.Eddie Van Halen Guitar Solo :eek: :rocker:
14.I Can't Drive 55 (Sammy Hagar)
15.Ain't Talking 'Bout Love
------------------------
16.Make It Last (Montrose)
17.Why Can't This Be Love
18.Rock 'N' Roll (Led Zeppelin)

snowdog2112
11-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Gezz I remember going to that and saying what a shit concert I just saw

girnny777
11-13-2010, 12:39 PM
So mediocre.

And what a crap encore.

Kapper
11-13-2010, 03:44 PM
awful setlist! Firstly the fact that they're playing songs of Hagar's before he joined VH is lame, and they closed with a Led Zeppelin cover? What, isn't 'Jump' a good enough closer? Or even 'Hot For Teacher', 'Unchained'... man I'd be furious if I saw this live!

Sanitarium78
11-13-2010, 05:07 PM
awful setlist! Firstly the fact that they're playing songs of Hagar's before he joined VH is lame, and they closed with a Led Zeppelin cover? What, isn't 'Jump' a good enough closer? Or even 'Hot For Teacher', 'Unchained'... man I'd be furious if I saw this live!

This show took place 2 months after 5150 was released. Also, how exactly are they gonna play songs that Hagar wrote all the lyrics to before he was even in the band? Still kind of a lame set when you're doing too many covers and not more of your own material. But it was 24 years ago so bitching about it now is really invalid.

I like both Roth and Hagar eras. In fact I like them a bit better with Hagar. He brought some maturity to the band and wrote some really great stuff with them. I'm not sure why so many people have this fascination with the Roth era though. The material was good but nowhere near as good as the annoying Roth fanboys make it out to be.

makethemsuffer12
11-13-2010, 05:16 PM
This show took place 2 months after 5150 was released. Also, how exactly are they gonna play songs that Hagar wrote all the lyrics to before he was even in the band? Still kind of a lame set when you're doing too many covers and not more of your own material. But it was 24 years ago so bitching about it now is really invalid.

I like both Roth and Hagar eras. In fact I like them a bit better with Hagar. He brought some maturity to the band and wrote some really great stuff with them. I'm not sure why so many people have this fascination with the Roth era though. The material was good but nowhere near as good as the annoying Roth fanboys make it out to be.

I believe he was referring to the Hagar solo material in the set.

The reason for the small amount of DLR songs is because Sammy didn't like singing them. I'm sure the other guys in the band had some sort of resentment against Dave aswell, so that could have something to do with it.

I'll always like the Roth-era better than Van Hagar, but I'm starting to like the Hagar stuff more than I used to. Dreams is an amazing song, probably because I remember it being in the Power Rangers movie years ago. :lol:

ijwthstd
11-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Was this a part of Iowa Jam? That took place on the same day with Aerosmith, Metallica, Ted Nugent, Armored Saint and I think Dokken.

Kapper
11-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Haha, yeah I was - you'd probably think that most of the people going to see Van Halen would prefer to see VH songs as opposed to covers.

Sanitarium78
11-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Haha, yeah I was - you'd probably think that most of the people going to see Van Halen would prefer to see VH songs as opposed to covers.

Ok, sorry I misenterpreted what you meant. The reason I didn't think that much about them doing TOOWTR was because during Hagar's first run with VH that song became a staple at shows. I know 'Where Eagles Fly' and 'Give To Live' became regulars to during the FUCK tour and the tour they did to support the live album they came out with after that which I saw them on:D

JudasPriest89
11-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Goddamn, am I the only one who thinks Sammy Hagar is better than David Lee Roth. Both solo AND Van Halen?!?!

Beaner666
11-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Gezz I remember going to that and saying what a shit concert I just saw

+1

I didn't see that exact IA show, but I saw them at Alpine Valley (East Troy, WI aka Milwaukee/Chicago) in what must've been almost the very same weekend and the set list seems the same.

Given all the bad blood with DLR at the time they had actually announced they were going to go light on the Roth songs, but only 3 DLR songs - one of which was a cover anyway was bad enough. Then doing just as many Hagar solo songs plus a Zep cover was like rubbing salt in an open wound:mad:.

Kapper
11-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Goddamn, am I the only one who thinks Sammy Hagar is better than David Lee Roth. Both solo AND Van Halen?!?!

Yes. If you look in the dictionary under the word 'frontman', it should have a photo of Diamond Dave.

rjmartinez91
11-14-2010, 01:54 AM
Damn.
I wasn't even a fetus or a thought when this show happened :lol:

bigguytoo9
11-14-2010, 07:55 AM
the guitar tone for "why cant this be love" is pretty awesome

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-14-2010, 10:06 AM
I saw them about 2 months later at the Texxas Jam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texxas_Jam). I don't remember a whole lot about the show, though. They played last and I was suffering through a case of dehydration.

God damn. Who thought it was a good idea to host an all-day outdoor concert in Texas in the middle of summer?

JRA
11-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Yea any new singer who makes the band he's in play his solo stuff is a fucking tool.

Sanitarium78
11-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Yea any new singer who makes the band he's in play his solo stuff is a fucking tool.

Did Hagar really just step in and immediately become the bands leader and make them play his stuff live? I always figured the rest of the guys liked his solo songs so that's why they decided to do some of them.

JLRedWing13
11-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Meh, I like DLR Van Halen better.

Nick_to_the_face
11-15-2010, 07:19 AM
Damn.
I wasn't even a fetus or a thought when this show happened :lol:

:lol: same here

Beaner666
11-15-2010, 07:45 PM
Did Hagar really just step in and immediately become the bands leader and make them play his stuff live? I always figured the rest of the guys liked his solo songs so that's why they decided to do some of them.

It was a combination of three things:

1) The VH guys totaling hating DLR at the time
2) Lack of material due to #1
3) The VH guys liking Sammy's solo material

I'm an old timer so I remember all of the press of the time. They pretty much always publicly admitted #1 & #3 at the time, and #2 is fairly obvious since they were doing a two hour show back then with only 1 CD of new material so they needed to pad out their live set.

Fe Maiden
11-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Goddamn, am I the only one who thinks Sammy Hagar is better than David Lee Roth. Both solo AND Van Halen?!?!You are not alone in thinking that!

This is in the wrong forum though I believe

Indestructible
11-17-2010, 11:05 AM

I think Sammy is way better than David Lee Roth. I honestly don't get the obssession with DLR

Maiden33
11-17-2010, 12:29 PM

Agreed, 100%.