PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Grand Theft Auto???????

Sepultura69
11-09-2010, 12:39 PM
For me it easily goes to GTA III

It was the one that started it all....the first of its kind....YES YES YES There have been tons of sanbox games out before this but no game was ever made in the way GTA 3 was made...it set the record straight and would soon start a wide array of so called CARBON COPY CATS to follow its footsteps.......

Not only that But i really liked all the characters and loved the "gritty urban griminess" that it held....

Vice City and San Andreas are amazing games but GTA 3 will always hold a special place for me in my gamer days....

I would assume a good 90 percent here are probably going to say San Andreas.:cool:

El Gordo
11-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Vice City will always be my favourite GTA game. It's the first one I played and let me tell you, I played THE SHIT out of it! San Andreas was good, but the amount of shit you could/had to do was kind of overwhelming, almost made it RPG-like. III was also good and probably my second favourite. I haven't played enough of GTA IV to give a solid opinion on it.

Sepultura69
11-13-2010, 10:21 AM
Vice City will always be my favourite GTA game. It's the first one I played and let me tell you, I played THE SHIT out of it! San Andreas was good, but the amount of shit you could/had to do was kind of overwhelming, almost made it RPG-like. III was also good and probably my second favourite. I haven't played enough of GTA IV to give a solid opinion on it.

Your very right about GTA San Andreas. its considered one of the biggest games ever made....LITERALLY......The games world is bigger then most RPGs put together!!! I remember it took me hours of driving in "Country" area alone just to get a mission done!..

as for Vice City....Good Choice....I remember I played the living shit out of that too. I remember it took me a month to realized I had to buy mansions and shit in order to progress through the game once you killed what his face, I forgot his name:tp:

evildeadjedi
11-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Vice City in my opinion has been the best one so far as much as I loved GTA III, the characters and soundtrack in Vice City were awesome! Ray Liotta voicing my character and all the other actors and actresses voicing characters really made this one feel like a movie. I actually own the limited edition cd set of all the radio stations from Vice City. The one thing that I have always thought was weird though is. why did Rockstar choose to put three music tracks from the movie "Scarface" on GTA III instead of Vice City? Vice City oozed "Scarface" in fact there was an eastern egg of the infamous hotel in the game.
Not to mention the huge mansion's inside looks very much like Tony Montona's from "Scarface".

San Andreas was neat with the huge area and more thing to do but, I guess I'm just more into the Mafia and organized crime story lines than "west coast gangstas".

Here is how I would rank the 3D open world GTA games.

Vice City
GTA III, GTA IV (tie) For all the hate GTA IV gets I bought the game at midnight at my local Gamestop and it was worth every penny imho.
San Andreas

Other GTA games:

GTA Chinatown Wars (DS)
GTA II (pc)
GTA Liberty City Stories
GTA Vice City Stores
GTA I (pc)

Note: I have not played the episodes from Liberty City yet.

Sepultura69
11-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Vice City in my opinion has been the best one so far as much as I loved GTA III, the characters and soundtrack in Vice City were awesome! Ray Liotta voicing my character and all the other actors and actresses voicing characters really made this one feel like a movie. I actually own the limited edition cd set of all the radio stations from Vice City. The one thing that I have always thought was weird though is. why did Rockstar choose to put three music tracks from the movie "Scarface" on GTA III instead of Vice City? Vice City oozed "Scarface" in fact there was an eastern egg of the infamous hotel in the game.
Not to mention the huge mansion's inside looks very much like Tony Montona's from "Scarface".

San Andreas was neat with the huge area and more thing to do but, I guess I'm just more into the Mafia and organized crime story lines than "west coast gangstas".

Here is how I would rank the 3D open world GTA games.

Vice City
GTA III, GTA IV (tie) For all the hate GTA IV gets I bought the game at midnight at my local Gamestop and it was worth every penny imho.
San Andreas

Other GTA games:

GTA Chinatown Wars (DS)
GTA II (pc)
GTA Liberty City Stories
GTA Vice City Stores
GTA I (pc)

Note: I have not played the episodes from Liberty City yet.

The thing that I loved about GTA III the most was the whole "Scareface" sountrack that they put in III. PUSH IT TO THE LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WALK ALONG THE RAZORS EDGE!!!! shes on fire, fire!!!!! ahahahahhahah I fucking loved those tunes :party:

evildeadjedi
11-13-2010, 11:14 AM
The thing that I loved about GTA III the most was the whole "Scareface" sountrack that they put in III. PUSH IT TO THE LIMITS!!!!!!!!!!!!! WALK ALONG THE RAZORS EDGE!!!! shes on fire, fire!!!!! ahahahahhahah I fucking loved those tunes :party:

Hell yes! I used to always listen to Flashback FM in that game, the only other station I would listen to was Lazlo's talk radio one due to the crazy ass people who would call in to talk to him. I remember a few times I went careening off a bridge into the water because I was cracking up.

One other thing I will say about Vice City was the game was definitely frustrating at times. A friend of mine got so pissed at the final mission he snapped a practically brand new dualshock 2 in half!

Sepultura69
11-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Hell yes! I used to always listen to Flashback FM in that game, the only other station I would listen to was Lazlo's talk radio one due to the crazy ass people who would call in to talk to him. I remember a few times I went careening off a bridge into the water because I was cracking up.

One other thing I will say about Vice City was the game was definitely frustrating at times. A friend of mine got so pissed at the final mission he snapped a practically brand new dualshock 2 in half!

My memory is a bit vague so work with me:cool:

I just remember in Vice City somehwere in the middle of the game you and lance kill that one fool and take over his Mansion. The bald guy with the hawain shirt. I havent played the game in years, let alone I dont own anymore consoles unfortunately. Anyways, after you kill him I had no idea you are suppose to start purchasing places and buying shops in order to progress the story....I know pretty pathetic but it was so goddamn frustrating for :(

powerslave_85
11-13-2010, 12:11 PM
San Andreas for sure. Slogging through the story missions and side stuff got a little tedious, but it's by far the best "do whatever the hell you want" GTA game.

evildeadjedi
11-13-2010, 12:32 PM
My memory is a bit vague so work with me:cool:

I just remember in Vice City somehwere in the middle of the game you and lance kill that one fool and take over his Mansion. The bald guy with the hawain shirt. I havent played the game in years, let alone I dont own anymore consoles unfortunately. Anyways, after you kill him I had no idea you are suppose to start purchasing places and buying shops in order to progress the story....I know pretty pathetic but it was so goddamn frustrating for :(

No problem, the guy was Ricardo Diaz and by taking him out Tommy and Lance become VC's new cocaine kingpins. Certain places were required to purchase others were optional if I remember correctly.

mankvill
11-13-2010, 01:33 PM
Love GTAIII for sure, but it's gotta be San Andreas for me, easily. And I've played Vice City, but not a whole lot and I never beat it, so I can't really judge how good that one is. GTA2 on Dreamcast was fantastic, too.

Dextrimental
11-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Gotta be San Andreas, the laughs that game produced for me and my friends, as well as the downright annoyances some of the missions produced, really made it a great game to play. GTA 3 and San Andreas still get regular plays when Im pissed off, nothin like going on a rampage in those games :D

DethMaiden
11-13-2010, 02:33 PM
I had more fun playing GTA 2 on PS1 than any of the games since, to be honest.

And Red Dead Redemption is like if Grand Theft Auto was way, way better, so you should really just be playing that. :cool:

mankvill
11-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Oh, if you like GTA2, Chinatown Wars on DS is awesome.

Sepultura69
11-13-2010, 03:02 PM
I take it no one here is a big fan of GTA IV

mankvill
11-13-2010, 03:14 PM

It was fun, but not the crazyfun type that San Andreas was.

Sepultura69
11-13-2010, 03:47 PM
It was fun, but not the crazyfun type that San Andreas was.

Definitely! San Andreas was HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember that country side part of the game. The drives from point a to b was like 30 minutes alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

evildeadjedi
11-13-2010, 04:24 PM

It's tied with GTA III in my book. I still need to play the episodes.

El Gordo
11-14-2010, 09:29 AM
I had more fun playing GTA 2 on PS1 than any of the games since, to be honest.

And Red Dead Redemption is like if Grand Theft Auto was way, way better, so you should really just be playing that. :cool:

Red Dead IS pretty kick-ass, but in a different way. You can't really take a horse off of huge jumps which was how I spent probably 30% of my time playing any GTA game -- finding a crotch-rocket, searching for new jumps and taking those jumps over and over again lol

jerry1013
11-14-2010, 11:26 AM
San Andreas for sure. Slogging through the story missions and side stuff got a little tedious, but it's by far the best "do whatever the hell you want" GTA game.

Agreed, I played the hell out of that game.

SomewhereInTime72
11-14-2010, 12:03 PM
My favorite was III, probably because I didn't fall in love with the formula. So while I loved III, it led to me getting somewhat bored with the following games. Also NYC > other cities ;).
Oh, if you like GTA2, Chinatown Wars on DS is awesome.

I've been super interested in this game and will probably check it out if I ever ever have free time.

Sanitarium78
11-14-2010, 12:28 PM
GTA 3 for me. I lost 6 months of my life playing that one. I've been playing video games since I had an atari back when I was a little kid and up to that point I never saw a game like GTA 3. The format of the game and the way they did everything was like nothing i'd seen before and it really blew me away and hooked me for a long time.

I was working at a KB Toys store when GTA 3 came out and under no circumstances were we to sell it to any kid under 17. If we had any doubts about the age we asked for an ID or ask them to have a parent or somebody old enough to buy it for them. That made the game even a bigger deal than it already was. Parents would come in and want to buy it for their kids without having a clue what the game was. Unfortunately we had to inform them what the game had in it before they made the purchase. Some parents would pass after finding out, while others didn't care at all. It didn't matter if they decided not to get it because the game was selling so well we weren't losing any money when some did that.

Vice City was cool especially with the 80s theme to it. San Andreas was fun for about a week or two but I gave up on that not too long after I started it. For whatever reason it didn't do that much for me. I haven't been paying attention lately so I don't know if they've come out with any other ones since San Andreas.

Sepultura69
11-14-2010, 12:40 PM
GTA 3 for me. I lost 6 months of my life playing that one. I've been playing video games since I had an atari back when I was a little kid and up to that point I never saw a game like GTA 3. The format of the game and the way they did everything was like nothing i'd seen before and it really blew me away and hooked me for a long time.

I was working at a KB Toys store when GTA 3 came out and under no circumstances were we to sell it to any kid under 17. If we had any doubts about the age we asked for an ID or ask them to have a parent or somebody old enough to buy it for them. That made the game even a bigger deal than it already was. Parents would come in and want to buy it for their kids without having a clue what the game was. Unfortunately we had to inform them what the game had in it before they made the purchase. Some parents would pass after finding out, while others didn't care at all. It didn't matter if they decided not to get it because the game was selling so well we weren't losing any money when some did that.

I agree with every statement you made! When i got GTA III back in 2001/2002 for my ps2...JUST LIKE YOU, I was totally blown away by everything the game had to offer. I use to be a hardcore video game nerd. I ain't no Atari old school Cat like you but I started my early young years with Sega Genesis, Super Nintendo the whole nine yards....and up till 2001 I had never played anything like this game before.....Which is why GTA III is my favorite out of the entire series.

Basicly its like this

GTA III :eek:

Every other game after GTA III, Such as Vice City or San Andreas :cool:

GTA III blew my mind away, everything else that came out I was just well prepared and ready to have some fun with it.

Oh yeah did I mention when I got GTA III back in the day, I also got it with my PS2 with no MEMORY CARD....so for the the next 2 months I would get as far as I could and then turn the game off and go on with my day...each day I got farther and farther....sadly I had no memory card so I always had to start from scratch untill I finally fucking got one :cool:

It did get a little frustrating having to beat the first island and then getting to the 2nd after killing Salvetoria Leon only to turn off my game and and re play that whole damn scenario :flame:

Epidemic Reign
03-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Vice City was my favorite... after that, it all went to shit.

Actually, I don't care for anything Rockstar has put out in the last 5 years or so. Even Red Dead Redemption I found to be incredibly boring. Not up to par with the current generation of gaming.

brutal_descent
03-05-2011, 12:38 AM
Uh, the one where you steal cars, kill people, and have an obscene number of weapons in your pant pockets? :eyes:

MPF
03-05-2011, 12:58 AM
Uh, the one where you steal cars, kill people, and have an obscene number of weapons in your pant pockets? :eyes:

Which one is that??? :confused:

*I'm not Indestructible, please know I'm joking*

brutal_descent
03-05-2011, 01:16 AM
Which one is that??? :confused:

*I'm not Indestructible, please know I'm joking*

:lol:

El Gordo
03-05-2011, 11:52 AM
Vice City was my favorite... after that, it all went to shit.

Actually, I don't care for anything Rockstar has put out in the last 5 years or so. Even Red Dead Redemption I found to be incredibly boring. Not up to par with the current generation of gaming.

Seriously? I thought RDR was one of the best games I've ever played. I couldn't put the fucking controller down. But hey, different strokes.

adamclark52
03-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I liked Vice City the best because:

1. the music
2. It was the first GTA I ever played, aside from the very first one which wasn't that great.
3. The map was a perfect size, big enough where you could explore but still get familiar with it
4. the scene where you get a private dance and Obsession by Animotion is playing, classic
5. I always liked that cheat where you could spawn that tank and the only real was to die was stop and get out. The other games had a "super vehicle" to spawn but they could still get shot down, not that one, or at least I never did.

I'd say it's followed by San Andreas but I agree that there was just too much and it got overwhelming. IV would have probably been my favorite if the soundtrack was better. Nothing beat driving around to Bark at the Moon or Midlife Crisis, instead IV had all this music I'd never heard. Not that was a problem, just after the previous two got me so used to driving around to all that music I loved I came to expect it and when it wasn't there I was really dissapointed.

I can see why so many people love III, it pretty much broke the mold and set the standard for the last ten years. I never got too far into it though. After I played both Vice City and San Andreas for pretty much six straight months I tried playing III, but I had overdosed on GTA and had to stop ten hours in. Even when IV came out two years later I only managed about 40 hours before I had to put it away, I was just at the point where it was unenjoyable.