PDA

View Full Version : Megadeth -- Phoenix, AZ -- November 6th, 2010

andrew_metalhead
11-07-2010, 01:46 AM
*I'm gonna have to write the "official" review seperately, but this is more of a personal story (along with the set list of course)*

Wow I haven't been on this website in a while. Even had to reset my password just to get in.

Anyway, so on Thursday, my friend Chad asked me the coolest thing anyone has ever asked. He goes, 'Hey man, I have an extra ticket to the Megadeth show in Phoenix and no one to go with. Do you want to go?' I was like fuck yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we left LA at 9 AM, just stopped twice on the way for gas and food and were doing 80 almost all the way through. Got to the venue by 3 o' clock and found the right entrance by 3.30. It wasn't a long wait at all, specially because we met my buddy who lives in Phoenix itself. He had saved a spot for us. They patted us down at 5 o clock and let us in at 5.30.

Megadeth went on at 7 o clock. NO OPENING BANDS. Fucking beautiful. When I saw the Endgame stage setup, I knew they weren't gonna do RIP in entirety. Add to that the fact that I saw cameras and stage mics, which meant we were being filmed. The camera guy took plenty of shots of me going mental, plus I got Shawn Drover's wrist band at the end and after that a lady walked up to me with Dave Mustaine's white wrist band and goes, 'Here, I think you want this'. And of course I took it gleefully. Fucking flipped out crazy when they did "Wake Up Dead", "Angry Again" and "Sweating Bullets", and enjoyed every minute of the show in general. Front row and center. Best Megadeth show of my life.
FYI the ticket price was just 24 bucks each for the GA floor, all fees included.

My pictures from the show (not professional this time but still some of them came out great since I had such a good spot):

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=243271&id=628232132&l=edfc24b679

Set list:
1. Wake Up Dead
2. In My Darkest Hour
3. She Wolf
4. Skin O' My Teeth
5. Holy Wars
6. Hangar 18
7. Five Magics
8. Poison Was The Cure
9. Tornado Of Souls
10.Trust
11.Angry Again
12.How The Story Ends
13.Headcrusher
14.A Tout Le Monde
15.Sweating Bullets
16.Symphony Of Destruction
17.Peace Sells
18.Holy Wars (Reprise)

treghet
11-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Woo Wake Up Dead! :horns: I wish my friends would ask me to go to shows for free. :lol:

Also, glad to see you around here again, Andrew. I missed your show reviews.

andrew_metalhead
11-07-2010, 01:55 AM
Woo Wake Up Dead! :horns: I wish my friends would ask me to go to shows for free. :lol:

Also, glad to see you around here again, Andrew. I missed your show reviews.

Oh thank you :)

Maideneer
11-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Time for a clean slate. Time to eliminate the following for at least 5 tour cycles...

1. Wake Up Dead
2. In My Darkest Hour
3. She Wolf
4. Skin O' My Teeth
5. Holy Wars
6. Hangar 18
9. Tornado Of Souls
10.Trust
13.Headcrusher
14.A Tout Le Monde
15.Sweating Bullets
17.Peace Sells
18.Holy Wars (Reprise)

andrew_metalhead
11-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Time for a clean slate. Time to eliminate the following for at least 5 tour cycles...

1. Wake Up Dead
2. In My Darkest Hour
3. She Wolf
4. Skin O' My Teeth
5. Holy Wars
6. Hangar 18
9. Tornado Of Souls
10.Trust
13.Headcrusher
14.A Tout Le Monde
15.Sweating Bullets
17.Peace Sells
18.Holy Wars (Reprise)

????

Then what do you want them to play? Risk from start to finish?

The_jman
11-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Nice Review Andrew.

LIVEtoROCK86
11-07-2010, 08:30 AM

1. Wake Up Dead
2. In My Darkest Hour
3. She Wolf
4. Skin O' My Teeth
5. Holy Wars
6. Hangar 18
9. Tornado Of Souls
10.Trust
13.Headcrusher
14.A Tout Le Monde
15.Sweating Bullets
17.Peace Sells
18.Holy Wars (Reprise)

COMPLETELY AGREE dude. Apparently Andrew Metalhead doesn't know enough Megadeth...Risk start to finish? Come on. Megadeth has a huge repetoire. Here's some songs I really think they should rotate into their set more:

The Conjuring
High Speed Dirt
99 Ways To Die
The Skull Beneath The Skin
Mary Jane
Hook In Mouth
Kick The Chair
Train Of Consequences
Elysian Fields
Architecture Of Agression
Last Rites/Loved To Deth (GREAT opener I think)
My Last Words
Take No Prisoners
Rust in Peace..Polaris

There is no reason to always give us the hits and the crowd favorites. I mean keep those in there to please the new fans, but throw in some gems to keep everything fresh and interesting. We all know it man, if we heard something like Last Rites/Loved to Deth at a show, we'd all be buggin out and going nuts!!

bigguytoo9
11-07-2010, 08:30 AM
????

Then what do you want them to play? Risk from start to finish?

CRUSH EM'

treghet
11-07-2010, 08:36 AM
Apparently Andrew Metalhead doesn't know enough Megadeth...Risk start to finish? Come on.

Sarcasm, bro. He's just logical enough to realize that Dave would never do that. If they put "Looking Down the Cross" in their set for a whole tour I'm pretty sure most of us would have eargasms, but what are the chances of that these days?

PowerMaiden
11-07-2010, 09:03 AM

1. Wake Up Dead
2. In My Darkest Hour
3. She Wolf
4. Skin O' My Teeth
5. Holy Wars
6. Hangar 18
9. Tornado Of Souls
10.Trust
13.Headcrusher
14.A Tout Le Monde
15.Sweating Bullets
17.Peace Sells
18.Holy Wars (Reprise)

maybe not all of them but I agree with you for the most part

I like Livetorock86 list plus squeeze in, Dread & The Fugitive Mind, A Secret Place & Fucking Countdown To Extinction ...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
11-07-2010, 10:04 AM

1. Wake Up Dead
2. In My Darkest Hour
3. She Wolf
4. Skin O' My Teeth
5. Holy Wars
6. Hangar 18
9. Tornado Of Souls
10.Trust
13.Headcrusher
14.A Tout Le Monde
15.Sweating Bullets
17.Peace Sells
18.Holy Wars (Reprise)

Well let's see here, WUD, IMDH, SW, SOMT and SB were not played at all on Megadeth's most recent tour with Slayer and Anthrax. So those songs did get a rest. I agree Trust could be dropped any time now. Headcrusher is new so i've got no problem that staying in. As far as dropping HW, Hangar, SOD and Peace Sells it's never happening. It would be like Metallica dropping S&D, MOP, One and ES from their set.

Also, even suggesting that they drop stuff like HW, Hangar, PS and Symphony just shows ignorance and lack of knowlegde as to how important these songs are to Megadeth's history and what they mean to most of their fans.

Good to see you back Andrew. I miss your gig reviews but I understand that life gets busy and stuff starts happening so there isn't always time to come around like you used to.

IrritatedTrout
11-07-2010, 10:06 AM
11.Angry Again
12.How The Story Ends

Would love to hear these two live sometime.

LIVEtoROCK86
11-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Sarcasm, bro. He's just logical enough to realize that Dave would never do that. If they put "Looking Down the Cross" in their set for a whole tour I'm pretty sure most of us would have eargasms, but what are the chances of that these days?

Yea I was sort of being sarcastic too. And yes, the chances are very low for hearing songs like Looking Down The Cross, but that's exactly why Dave should throw that in. It will make the crowd go nuts and come back for more every time. It's the whole "what are they gonna do tonight??!!" Mentality. I don't agree with playing the same set list for a whole tour. It's boring. I'd go to multiple shows if bands were to change up their sets.

treghet
11-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Yea I was sort of being sarcastic too. And yes, the chances are very low for hearing songs like Looking Down The Cross, but that's exactly why Dave should throw that in. It will make the crowd go nuts and come back for more every time. It's the whole "what are they gonna do tonight??!!" Mentality. I don't agree with playing the same set list for a whole tour. It's boring. I'd go to multiple shows if bands were to change up their sets.

Yeah, that would be awesome. I wish more bands would change up their sets night to night. And it would work well for Megadeth, since they have quite a bit of material that fans would want to hear.

rjturtle9
11-07-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't like the set very much. Playing all the RIP songs like that? Why not just play the whole album. They should do a proper headlining set next year. And please put Holy Wars back at the end, cause I'm tired of that stupid reprise.

Sepultura69
11-07-2010, 01:39 PM
COMPLETELY AGREE dude. Apparently Andrew Metalhead doesn't know enough Megadeth...Risk start to finish? Come on. Megadeth has a huge repetoire. Here's some songs I really think they should rotate into their set more:
The Conjuring

THIS!!! I would love to hear The Conjuring, that is my all time favorite Megadeth Tune. Too bad Dave will never ever EVER play it again especially with his new found christian faith and all:tp:

ThrashManiac
11-07-2010, 01:45 PM
they need to play killing in it's entirety..!
never gonna happen but if they tour next year they should tone down RIP a bit thats for sure.

rjturtle9
11-07-2010, 02:13 PM
they need to play killing in it's entirety..!

THIS! Minus These Boots though...

JudasPriest89
11-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Opening with "Wake Up Dead"? Meh, not the best idea they've done.

& Seriouslly if they're gonna play "Holy Wars" that's not the closure, they should close with something else. Alot of people are probablly getting sick of the "Reprise".

Othrwise, nice set.

elturtleboy
11-07-2010, 04:14 PM
THIS! Minus These Boots though...

no

LIVEtoROCK86
11-07-2010, 05:22 PM
They need to not play any album in it's entirety, or if they do, just do it a few times. Don't do it for a full tour. It's too much, too predictable, too boring after a while. Just play a set that rotates songs from your WHOLE repetoire. I don't get what's so tough about that. You wrote these songs, why not play ALL of them.

Sepultura69
11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
They need to not play any album in it's entirety, or if they do, just do it a few times. Don't do it for a full tour.
Yeah I thought it was a bit tiring....they came to my town 3 times this year(in march, august and october)and played RIP in its entirety with the bonus addition of the same 4-5 predictable songs with the addition of maybe ONE NEW SONG....the first time was awesome...2nd eh its good but now you should stop!! There is no need for a 3rd run....The only exception I can make for something like that is "Peace sells....But Whos Buying?".....That album is just GODLY...they should tour for that album for as long as they can:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Unfortunately I am not too crazy for Rust IN Peace(it doesn't even come close to Peace sells)....but it does have its moments *Dawn Patrol always comes to mind*:rocker::rocker::rocker:

mankvill
11-07-2010, 06:18 PM
RIP > Peace Sells.

People bitching about the RIP/SITA tours. I never thought I'd see the day.

Indestructible
11-07-2010, 06:53 PM
RIP > Peace Sells.

Rarley does this happen, but I agree with you.

Travis The Dragon
11-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Are they doing a new headlining tour without Slayer? Because I didn't see any new dates mentioned.

makethemsuffer12
11-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Are they doing a new headlining tour without Slayer? Because I didn't see any new dates mentioned.

It was one-off show at an Arizona state fair.

Sepultura69
11-07-2010, 08:27 PM
RIP > Peace Sells.

No ones bitching. I attended the SITA/RIP Tour twice this year and enjoyed it immensely...Its just a bit tiring when a band you like comes to your hometown and plays three times in one year and plays the same exact setlist.....and also mankvill

PEACE SELL> Rust in Peace:cool:

darkguardian50
11-07-2010, 08:39 PM
I think Peace Sells has a few songs that will beat most any song on RIP but as a whole RIP is definitely the stronger record. Its just lame as hell that Dave refuses to play The Conjuring and Good Mourning/Black Friday cause of some bullshit religious excuse. Its a fucking song not a way of life. Also would definitely love to hear Looking Down the Cross, Sleepwalker and Hook in Mouth played with more regularity. Though to be fair they HAVE been playing Hook in Mouth, just not enough in my opinion :)

Travis The Dragon
11-07-2010, 08:44 PM
I wish they would do a tour fully supporting the new album and do at least 5 songs from it.

Travis The Dragon
11-07-2010, 08:45 PM
It was one-off show at an Arizona state fair.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

LIVEtoROCK86
11-07-2010, 10:09 PM
RIP > Peace Sells.

Kinda sad you wanna see the same predictable show over and over...all we want is diversity.

TonyD
11-07-2010, 10:12 PM
I was stoked to see this wasn't another RIP set, but it's the same fucking set they've been playing for the past 4-5 years. I wouldn't say eliminate all of those songs from the next bunch of tours, but other than not playing as much crap nobody wants to hear like Metallica, Megadeth doesn't rotate or even change tour to tour nearly enough.

PlaysWithKnives
11-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Bitching about doing RIP live? I can't believe that. Some people just aren't happy with anything. I understand some other songs. Like the boner for Trust or A toue le monde. Those songs can go anytime. Dave does need more diversity in their sets. But id be pissed if I didn't get at least holy wars, tornado and hangar 18 live. Maybe well get lucky and get a 25th anniversary tour for Peace Sells. Wouldent that be sweet?

PlaysWithKnives
11-08-2010, 07:44 AM
THIS!!! I would love to hear The Conjuring, that is my all time favorite Megadeth Tune. Too bad Dave will never ever EVER play it again especially with his new found christian faith and all:tp:
I know. "Finding the lord" just takes the fun out of everyrhing
:D

andrew_metalhead
11-08-2010, 09:36 AM
In case you guys didn't catch my official review on Megadeth's website or social networks, here it is:

http://metalassault.com/Live_Reviews/110610_Megadeth.php

Sepultura69
11-08-2010, 11:13 AM
In case you guys didn't catch my official review on Megadeth's website or social networks, here it is:

nice review, just finished reading it!
WOW you are a true fan!!! You guys drove 6 hours for this show!!!!
:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:
RIGHT ON BROTHER....

mankvill
11-08-2010, 12:15 PM
I wish they would do a tour fully supporting the new album and do at least 5 songs from it.

They have! (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=12040)

davidis138
11-09-2010, 12:13 AM

wow great review dude. Sounds like it was one of those nights that you can't describe but YOU described it :lol: Nice one!

andrew_metalhead
11-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Pics from the show: http://metalassault.com/Pictures/Megadeth/110610.php

Chad is the guy who drove me to Phoenix and gave me the concert ticket, and considering that he had to deal with a head banging lunatic (me) being next to him for the whole show, he did an amazing job with these pictures \m/

JLRedWing13
11-12-2010, 10:06 PM
The setlist is fine. They'll probably throw more Endgame in the set next year.