PDA

View Full Version : Watain -- Pittsburgh, PA -- November 6th, 2010

daimonos
11-06-2010, 09:17 PM
This was the first night of Watain's US tour with Goatwhore and Black Anvil.

I arrived at the show right before the second local band, Storm King started playing. I checked them out online the other day and was much more impressed with them then than I was tonight. They weren't bad, but they weren't something I would listen to.

Next was Black Anvil. I was looking forward to seeing these guys. I have heard most of Triumvirate and thought that they would be awesome live. They definitely would have been, but the sound was pretty far off. They did put alot of energy into their performance, and they were still really good. I'll probably pick up their album soon, and I hope to see them again when there's some better sound. I don't know what their set was.

Next was Goatwhore. This is my third time seeing them overall, as well as this year. Even though they were great the first two times I saw them, I wasn't really anticipating them that much this time. Well it turns out that they were even better this time than before. They played most of the same songs, but switched up a couple. I was suprised as all hell whenever he said they were playing 'In the Narrow Confines of Defilement'. Great performance.

Goatwhore: (Most likely out of order in the middle)
This Passing Into the Power of Demons
Provoking the Ritual of Death
??? (Something off of the first two albums)
Alchemy of the Black Sun Cult
Razor Flesh Devoured
Carving Out the Eyes of God
The All-Destroying
In the Narrow Confines of Defilement
In Legions, I Am Wars of Wrath
Apocalyptic Havoc

They may have played another older song, but I'm not sure.

And last was Watain. After what I thought was an unnecessarily long wait the intro music to 'Malfeitor' started. I could feel the tension building and a strange presence filled the room. They erupted into 'Malfeitor' and they were fucking awesome. Erik Danielsson was running all over the stage with the mic stand, and the other guys were all playing with equal energy. The crowd seemed like they knew mostly everything too, which was a suprise, but definitely a plus. I was on the rail from when Black Anvil started until the end of the night, and that was an experience, especially for Watain. I couldn't hardly get any decent pictures of Watain because it was dark for alot of their set, and when it wasn't, it was still too dark for my phone. I did expect them to play a set that was a little bit longer, but it was great. The sound also suffered at some points too, with the guitars being buried or the vocals sounding very distorted, but I really can't complain. 'Total Funeral' and 'Stellarvore' were two highlights for me. They also played an encore of 'On Horns Impaled'. Great way to end the night!

Watain:
Malfeitor
Devil's Blood
Satan's Hunger
Reaping Death
Sworn to the Dark
Total Funeral
Stellarvore
Waters of Ain
--------------------
On Horns Impaled

Also, there was no blood.

I didn't really check out Goatwhore or Black Anvil's merch, but all of Watain's shirts were awesome. One had the all of the lyrics to Reaping Death on the back, there was one with the mock of the statue of liberty on the front and tour stops on the back, and another one with the logo on the front and writing on the back, I don't remember what though. There were also two long sleeve shirts, and a zip up hoodie (which I bought) that has a biker style logo on the back that says "Watain Militia", with skulls and knives in the middle. One sleeve says "Lawless Darkness" and the other says "Black Metal Magic".

In the end, I still would have rather seen Behemoth headline and Watain play as direct support, but seeing Watain headline was a great experience. This was a rare occurence of a totally awesome lineup (sans the local bands), and I'm really glad I could make it.

Only two more shows left this year. Next friday is Enslaved (one of my favorite bands) and Blood Red Throne at the Dimmu show, and then The Sword next month.

larvtard
11-06-2010, 09:51 PM
nice goatwhore set, nice review. too bad there was no blood :( Hopefully my pictures will still turn out good

idrinkwine732
11-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Looking forward to Reaping Death a ton.

treghet
11-06-2010, 09:56 PM
Sounds like a good time, even though the Watain set is a bit short. I'm trying to find a way to get to the show here, but it's not looking very likely that I will make it.

idrinkwine732
11-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Sounds like a good time, even though the Watain set is a bit short.

Long songs brosef

treghet
11-06-2010, 10:13 PM
Long songs brosef

I only have two of their albums so I'm not very familiar with their material, but I just checked and the set (without breaks between songs) is about 60 minutes. So, you're right, it's a pretty normal set time. Still would be cool if they played another song though. :D

gargamel66
11-07-2010, 02:19 AM
Sounds like you had a great time Daimonos.

Nice review.

gargamel66
11-07-2010, 02:29 AM
I'm trying to find a way to get to the show here, but it's not looking very likely that I will make it.

Go Go Go.......you cant miss out on Watain.

bigguytoo9
11-07-2010, 07:33 AM
id see this show in Vancouver but I am seeing HALFORD open for Ozzy that night instead.

daimonos
11-07-2010, 08:33 AM
nice goatwhore set, nice review. too bad there was no blood :( Hopefully my pictures will still turn out good

I was using my cell phone to take the pictures, but I'd imagine if you're using an actual camera the pictures will turn out pretty good.

John The Drummer
11-08-2010, 06:04 AM
How did Watain smell this time around?

Bloodcurse
11-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Man I love this band!!!

daimonos
11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
How did Watain smell this time around?

I couldn't notice any smells. They didn't throw any blood around, but I couldn't smell them.

Xivienne
11-11-2010, 05:31 PM
I'm traveling half way across Canada to see this concert, I can't wait! Both of those set lists are awesome.

WATAIN!

:party:

daimonos
11-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Watched an interview with Erik Daniellson and as I guessed, they didn't have the blood or dead animals because it was the first date of the tour and they couldn't get it in time.

Xivienne
11-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Ohhh man, they better not get stuck at the border because of that.. :hecho:

vmetal52
11-14-2010, 07:36 PM
They used dead animals and blood in seattle. their set also had 2 more songs, making their play time around 75-80 minutes with a 10 minute outro.

Edit: 'I Am The Earth' and 'Underneath the Cenotaph' were the 2 extra songs not in the setlist listed here

daimonos
11-14-2010, 07:50 PM
They used dead animals and blood in seattle. their set also had 2 more songs, making their play time around 75-80 minutes with a 10 minute outro.

Edit: 'I Am The Earth' and 'Underneath the Cenotaph' were the 2 extra songs not in the setlist listed here

Oh yeah, that's awesome. I bet the blood and dead animals add to the experience :lol:

Xivienne
11-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Watain played those songs in Vancouver as well, I'd make my own thread but unfortunately I can't remember the song order. They also had blood and about 8 pig heads hung up on the stage, the people around me were quite turned off by the stench, I found their complaints pretty comical. Anyhow, Watains performance was unbelievable; dark, powerful, mysterious and seriously out of this world. Eriks stage presence was very interesting, he occasionally hovered in a hunched over and demonic manner, and had a very distant and unrecognizable look in his eyes. He acted as if he was possessed. I didn't notice any behavior out of the ordinary from any other members.

In interviews I've watched, Erik states he cannot remember most details from a show, and I know he practices Satanism.. they make me question if there truly is a dark force which they, but specifically Erik, somehow channels. What do you guys think? I mean, he is a rather serious and private individual, he doesn't go into details about his lyrics and claims writing takes an emotional toll on him. It just seems very real..

Whatever the case, there is something very special about Watain and I am extremely honored I was able to attend. :bliss:

daimonos
11-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Well, I think anyone thats crazy about any religion can get pretty into it, and if his live shows are one of his ways of practicing his religion, I can understand it.

Xivienne
11-15-2010, 03:46 PM
A friend tells me that his band opened for Watain this past May at the Maryland deathfest, apparently were picking fights with people left and right and are 'scary' as he put it. This interview reveals quite a lot too.. seems they are legit. Hail Watain! :horns:

http://www.mirgilus.com/interviews/watain.html

mankvill
11-15-2010, 04:10 PM
A friend tells me that his band opened for Watain this past May at the Maryland deathfest, apparently were picking fights with people left and right and are 'scary' as he put it. This interview reveals quite a lot too.. seems they are legit. Hail Watain! :horns:

Your friend is in a band that played MDF?

Xivienne
11-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes.

larvtard
11-15-2010, 05:14 PM

yeah, I'm starting to get scared about taking pictures now... Even more so as I've heard that the frontman punched a cameraman in the face before... :eyes::eek:

FYI, I'm not taking phone pics from the pit or anything, I'm actually gonna be walking around with a huge camera trying to get good shots. hence my concern...

Wizzbang11
11-15-2010, 05:42 PM
yeah, I'm starting to get scared about taking pictures now... Even more so as I've heard that the frontman punched a cameraman in the face before... :eyes::eek:

FYI, I'm not taking phone pics from the pit or anything, I'm actually gonna be walking around with a huge camera trying to get good shots. hence my concern...

Yeah. I wouldn't do it. That's also because I'm not physically intimidating at all.
Watain are assholes. That said, I doubt you'd get attacked. Who knows though, they have beaten the shit out of crowd surfers already this tour.

daimonos
11-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Just get a couple pics and get the hell out of their way :lol:

treghet
11-15-2010, 06:04 PM
Who knows though, they have beaten the shit out of crowd surfers already this tour.

Was that posted here or elsewhere? I didn't hear about it.

And loganarchy, I don't know if you read my last post of advice for you (forgot what topic it was in), but I'll repeat myself a little in the case that you didn't. Plan as far ahead as you can. Lighting, exposure, how to arrange them, any props, etc. that way you can finish it as quickly as possible. I assume they won't be very excited about having to take the time to have photos taken, so the faster you get it over with, the better the situation for you. :tongue:

xStructualDefect
11-15-2010, 06:17 PM
damn Watain sound like assholes. i'd be pissed if i saw a band beat the shit out of crowdsurfers.

Wizzbang11
11-15-2010, 06:23 PM

I read about it somewhere, probably NWN or something, I have no doubt it's true.
Here's a video of them beating up a dude from DRI for dancing :bliss::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AewyCRg_h3A&feature=player_embedded

DethMaiden
11-15-2010, 06:30 PM
Not condoning Watain beating crowd surfers, but really, you're crowd surfing at Watain?

SplinterMech
11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Fast forward to the 4 minute 30 second mark of the following video while keeping your attention to the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPnrYIhK9eQ

Wizzbang11
11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Fast forward to the 4 minute 30 second mark of the following video while keeping your attention to the right.

Well there ya go.

xStructualDefect
11-15-2010, 08:26 PM

lame. i wouldn't support a band that hits their fans while they're trying to have fun during a show. if a fan was starting shit with the band then then okay it's probably understandable, but the guy was crowd surfing and trying to have fun.

larvtard
11-15-2010, 08:27 PM

And loganarchy, I don't know if you read my last post of advice for you (forgot what topic it was in), but I'll repeat myself a little in the case that you didn't. Plan as far ahead as you can. Lighting, exposure, how to arrange them, any props, etc. that way you can finish it as quickly as possible. I assume they won't be very excited about having to take the time to have photos taken, so the faster you get it over with, the better the situation for you. :tongue:

I probably read it before, I think I've been going on nonstop about it for months :lol:

that sounds like a good plan. I don't want to piss them off or anything so I'll get the pics over with as quickly as possible.

Wizz, I'm the complete opposite of physically intimidating so I definitely couldn't hold my own in a fight.

Xivienne
11-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Not condoning Watain beating crowd surfers, but really, you're crowd surfing at Watain?

No kidding. People need to understand that Watain take their music and live performances, or 'rituals' as they call them, very seriously. I would never dare to disrespect them by jumping on stage and disrupting their set.

About taking pictures, definitely just get in and out! Rad you have a pass though, I was taking photos with my SLR against the railing and in front of the mosh pit and got some pretty sweet pictures (which I will upload and edit upon arriving home) AND battle wounds.

http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt328/iamchina/snapshot-4.png

In hindsight, I guess it's good that my camera died.. I wouldn't want to irritate them!

What was the turnout like? Some friends of mine (one who somewhat works with the promoters) were saying that about 200 people were there, and it was the same night as Ozzy... So... Well done to them, if so. Interesting tidbit about the stage presence though. Personally, I'm a big fan of music, but I don't really take ideals/lyrics very seriously...

Yeah it was a pretty decent turn out! I would say about 175 people maybe?

The dude that got beat up in the video commented on the youtube page. He sounds like a butt hurt douche-bag, and is clearly the one who knows nothing about Watain. He disrupted their ritual, every blow he received was deserved!

alright obviously you assholes know nothing of black metal, its based on hatred and darkness and death. i was flipping him off and yelling at him like i always do at shows like this. i just happened to get crowd surfed this time. and he didnt actually hit me that hard. he got me once in the eyebrow and once in the side. i dont really consider that getting my ass kicked. go change your tampon if you do.

orlandodavis
11-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Man they're like born again Christians only they're Satanists.

treghet
11-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Man they're like born again Christians only they're Satanists.

So true. :lol:

Dissimulate
11-16-2010, 02:23 PM
The dude that got beat up in the video commented on the youtube page. He sounds like a butt hurt douche-bag, and is clearly the one who knows nothing about Watain. He disrupted their ritual, every blow he received was deserved!
I'm not sure if I'd go that far, but I will say that the theatrical aspects of the performance are a major, if not the biggest, part of their live show and this guy is an ass for interfering with those. This is totally not the band to mosh to.

Blasphemor
11-16-2010, 03:09 PM
lame. i wouldn't support a band that hits their fans while they're trying to have fun during a show. if a fan was starting shit with the band then then okay it's probably understandable, but the guy was crowd surfing and trying to have fun.

But I'm trying to have fun as well and have no tolerance for crowd surfing. I wish more bands would employ this method - maybe it would make jack-offs think before launching themselves onto the heads and necks and backs of people enjoying the show (moshing, head-banging, etc). I hate having to spend more time on the lookout for crowd surfers than watching the band.
If you want to crowd surf, go to a fucking Pearl Jam show.

I saw the Watain show at Studio 7 in Seattle (fucking awesome btw) and noticed the two fools who decided to crowd surf get soundly kicked by band members.:party:

andrew_metalhead
11-18-2010, 09:18 AM
But I'm trying to have fun as well and have no tolerance for crowd surfing. I wish more bands would employ this method - maybe it would make jack-offs think before launching themselves onto the heads and necks and backs of people enjoying the show (moshing, head-banging, etc). I hate having to spend more time on the lookout for crowd surfers than watching the band.
If you want to crowd surf, go to a fucking Pearl Jam show.

I saw the Watain show at Studio 7 in Seattle (fucking awesome btw) and noticed the two fools who decided to crowd surf get soundly kicked by band members.:party:

Agreed 100%.

treghet
11-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I personally have no problem with crowd surfing. Surfing at a Watain concert? Well, that doesn't seem like a good idea... and crowd surfing to a black metal band doesn't really make sense anyway. But in general, it doesn't bother me. Yes, I've had plenty of people land on me, hit me in the head with their boots, and climb up my back to get on top of the crowd, but I see it all in fun. If you want to go crazy to one of your favorite bands, go right ahead. If you're up front for a show, you should realize that you're risking getting landed on. Just as if you're on the side of the pit, you should expect people to run into you at full speed. It's a show.

xStructualDefect
11-18-2010, 02:15 PM
I personally have no problem with crowd surfing. Surfing at a Watain concert? Well, that doesn't seem like a good idea... and crowd surfing to a black metal band doesn't really make sense anyway. But in general, it doesn't bother me. Yes, I've had plenty of people land on me, hit me in the head with their boots, and climb up my back to get on top of the crowd, but I see it all in fun. If you want to go crazy to one of your favorite bands, go right ahead. If you're up front for a show, you should realize that you're risking getting landed on. Just as if you're on the side of the pit, you should expect people to run into you at full speed. It's a show.

THIS 100%

Wizzbang11
11-18-2010, 02:24 PM

My thoughts exactly ;)

larvtard
11-18-2010, 04:16 PM
yeah...well, I generally piss off the whole crowd at every show I go to, because I always drop crowdsurfers or sometime even stagedivers :cool:

I'm really skinny, weak, and uncoordinated, so yeah. :bliss:

jbslice
11-18-2010, 06:49 PM

I've been on both sides of this argument many times, and if you are stupid enough to run full speed at someone at a show you should expect to go home in an ambulance. All rules that apply outside a show apply inside a show. Your paid admission does not excuse you from the laws of nature. Some people are simply not to be bothered no matter what, so mosh and dive at your own risk and retaliate at your own risk. Don't cry or snitch when you have to pick your teeth and blood off the floor for your short sighted impulsive decisions.

Xivienne
11-18-2010, 08:43 PM
That's an excellent first post. Here are some of the photos I got! Best ones I took were of Erik since I was right in the center..

You can see the pig heads hanging upside-down.. :horns:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1195.snc4/154703_501208075249_518750249_7615600_1598467_n.jp g

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1175.snc4/154703_501208080249_518750249_7615601_3316486_n.jp g

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs496.ash2/76925_501214360249_518750249_7615806_4622043_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs563.ash2/148556_501215040249_518750249_7615830_4869427_n.jp g

treghet
11-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Those are some spectacular shots. I'm so jealous of everybody seeing this show.

moobys37
11-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Looking at those photos, it makes me both jealous that other shows on the tour have gotten the full-blown Watain show, yet it's pretty awesome that I saw such a stripped-down version of it that really focused on the music.

NecroRob
11-18-2010, 09:24 PM

I was right behind that guy that got kicked, it was lulzy.

BTW, I was very pleasantly surprised at the turnout for the show. Probably the biggest Seattle crowd I've seen other than Summer Slaughter.

larvtard
11-19-2010, 07:58 PM
That's an excellent first post. Here are some of the photos I got! Best ones I took were of Erik since I was right in the center..

You can see the pig heads hanging upside-down.. :horns:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1195.snc4/154703_501208075249_518750249_7615600_1598467_n.jp g

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1175.snc4/154703_501208080249_518750249_7615601_3316486_n.jp g

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs496.ash2/76925_501214360249_518750249_7615806_4622043_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs563.ash2/148556_501215040249_518750249_7615830_4869427_n.jp g

Holy shit those photos are amazing :eek::eek:

I need your help dude! Give me specs and shit! you said you had a DSLR...did you use extra lenses? If that's the case, then I'm out of luck. I've got a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35. It's technically a point-and-soot but it's the size of a DSLR and I believe that it has manual settings too. Give me the scoop, I don't really know how to use those settings anyway :lol: