PDA

View Full Version : Marrow of the spirit

hb420
11-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Just got ahold of it great so far

ShatteredFlame
11-03-2010, 05:07 PM
What can I say, these guys just simply cannot create anything less than a masterpiece. One listen through and I was deeply impressed by so many moments. A lot of parts remind me of something Godspeed You! Black Emperor would do, which is just fantastic. I also love the rawer black metal sound they went with this one, that mixed with the incredible soundscapes they created is just amazing. Seriously one of my favorites of the year in just one listen!

I just wish it leaked in higher quality, this transcode sounds awful on some parts. But I'm definetely buying this badboy! :party:

NecroRob
11-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I just wish it leaked in higher quality, this transcode sounds awful on some parts. But I'm definetely buying this badboy! :party:

This.

I'm starting my journey right now :D

idrinkwine732
11-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Excited, just started.

Just FWI, this is Jackie Perez Gratz on dat cello in "They Escaped the Weight of Darkness."

EDIT: Into the Painted Grey's quality is so bad it's nearly unlistenable.

Div
11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Div
11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Agalloch have transcended music, they no longer are on the same plane as other melodic sounds but instead orbit far beyond the outer realms of pitch and frequency.

MPF
11-05-2010, 01:32 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

Agalloch have transcended music, they no longer are on the same plane as other melodic sounds but instead orbit far beyond the outer realms of pitch and frequency.

+666

This is simply one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. It might take another listen or two, but I may have found my new favorite album of 2010. And I still gotta hear Atheist's Jupiter tonight. :eek:

idrinkwine732
11-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Has a high quality leak come out?

idrinkwine732
11-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Album sounds 300x better from the HQ stream on NPR.

IrritatedTrout
11-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Looking forward to hearing this one but I'll wait until I get a physical copy.

larvtard
11-16-2010, 05:59 PM
My friend just burned me this CD (This was my first taste of Agalloch, mind you). Honestly, I found it kind of boring. That's not to say they're bad musicians or anything, but I gotta tell you, they would be SO much better if they sang. I can just imagine it :drool:

Yeah, the black metal vocals don't belong here. They just don't work for me.

IrritatedTrout
11-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Actually, there are clean vocals on all their other albums. Really good ones at that.

idrinkwine732
11-16-2010, 06:40 PM
The Mantle has very little blackened vocals.

larvtard
11-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Actually, there are clean vocals on all their other albums. Really good ones at that.

Yeah, my brother told me that they're prevalent on The Mantle especially. I'll have to check their other stuff out then.

The Mantle has very little blackened vocals.

Confirmed. :D

idrinkwine732
11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
I think you'll also like Ashes Against the Grain too, because the vocals fit a lot more with the more metallic sound.

Div
11-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Ashes was very progressive sounding, I'm glad they combined their older styles with that on their new album because it sounds really unique.

As for the vocals, I hate it when people hate on growling just because it doesnt sound clean. Clean vocals wouldn't totally kill this album, but it would take away heavily from the mood the band was going for. I mean listen to that haunting screaming in the middle of Black Lake Nidstang, if it was sung in a clean voice then that part wouldn't even stand out or have any emotion in it. Clean vocals in dark atmospheric music just don't make sense.

larvtard
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
As for the vocals, I hate it when people hate on growling just because it doesnt sound clean. Clean vocals wouldn't totally kill this album, but it would take away heavily from the mood the band was going for. I mean listen to that haunting screaming in the middle of Black Lake Nidstang, if it was sung in a clean voice then that part wouldn't even stand out or have any emotion in it. Clean vocals in dark atmospheric music just don't make sense.

To me it sounded like the mood on this album called for singing, not black metal screaming, which is funny because this is apparently their most black metal-sounding album :confused:

Anyways, that's just my opinion regardless. I'll give Ashes a listenn to, thanks wine.

Akumu
11-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Yeah, the black metal vocals don't belong here. They just don't work for me.

I haven't heard this one yet, but you're not alone in this. Theoretically, Agalloch's one of those bands that I should adore... but their vocalist drives me up the wall every time he growls, and arrrgh. I don't hate harsh vox - it's just something about his harsh vox that completely ruin the band for me. :/

To make this post slightly relevant, I'll give them another shot - streaming this on the NPR site now. So far, the cello is lovely.

larvtard
11-18-2010, 04:19 PM
I haven't heard this one yet, but you're not alone in this. Theoretically, Agalloch's one of those bands that I should adore... but their vocalist drives me up the wall every time he growls, and arrrgh. I don't hate harsh vox - it's just something about his harsh vox that completely ruin the band for me. :/

To make this post slightly relevant, I'll give them another shot - streaming this on the NPR site now. So far, the cello is lovely.

I'm not a fan of his harsh vox either, but that's not what I was saying exactly. If Agalloch were a pure black metal band, I would be fine with the vox. But they're not, and so I'm not.

ShatteredFlame
11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
You guys are weird. Although I do agree that if they only had harsh vox they probably wouldn't be as interesting, as I think the clean vocals really work, but they just wouldn't be the same without the harsh vox. Listen to the song Bloodbirds. The instrumental build up leading into the harsh vox coming at the very end of the song is completely crushing.

Akumu
11-19-2010, 06:15 AM
@loganarchy: Gotcha. I can't really pinpoint my issue with them, strangely enough, apart from "I don't like it." But that's the way things are sometimes, I guess.

@ShatteredFlame: I remember hearing Bloodbirds at one point and thinking it was good until the vox came in. I'm completely aware that I'm in the minority, though.

However... I listened to a good chunk of the new album last night, and I have to say that "Black Lake Nidstang" is pretty amazing. The music is definitely right up my alley. I think I'll try this again later... and I honestly did not know that The Mantle had mostly clean vox, so I'll give that a listen, too.

Div
11-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Does anyone have the lyrics to this album? I cant find them anywhere

idrinkwine732
11-19-2010, 09:00 AM
@loganarchy: Gotcha. I can't really pinpoint my issue with them, strangely enough, apart from "I don't like it." But that's the way things are sometimes, I guess.

@ShatteredFlame: I remember hearing Bloodbirds at one point and thinking it was good until the vox came in. I'm completely aware that I'm in the minority, though.

However... I listened to a good chunk of the new album last night, and I have to say that "Black Lake Nidstang" is pretty amazing. The music is definitely right up my alley. I think I'll try this again later... and I honestly did not know that The Mantle had mostly clean vox, so I'll give that a listen, too.

Agalloch are perhaps my favorite band making music right now, and I think that the black vocals are absolutely perfect when they're there, and the same goes for the cleans. I don't think they really create a mismatch very often, except for this one really weird moment in Pale Folklore.

Does anyone have the lyrics to this album? I cant find them anywhere

Album isn't out yet, so the lyric booklet isn't out with it.