PDA

View Full Version : How do you get/stay fit?

ChildrenofSodom
10-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Thank you Pavo for creating this!!!!!

So, we've talked about it before, but lets start up the discussion again: what do you do to stay fit?

I do Insanity and P90x, as many of you know. I also play basketball, jog, and bike on occasion. This winter, I'm taking a Yoga class and possibly joining the Yoga club.

makethemsuffer12
10-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Over this past summer I did a lot of running, and lost a good 10-15 pounds in the process. I just started to do P90X, so hopefully that'll lead to some good results.

SomewhereInTime72
10-26-2010, 02:09 PM
For me it's: eat good, run regularly (near daily, at least 3 miles), and regular visits to the gym (never followed a real routine just tried to cover the muscles that don't get love in everyday life). Was never really into playing sports, so frisbee is all I ever did aside from that, and using biking or walking instead of vehicles when possible.

Of course, I haven't really followed that outline in a while... which explains why I also haven't bee 155 pounds in a while. :snivel:

Derelict
10-26-2010, 02:21 PM
My brother, a former USMC Sniper, moved in with me last November after he got out. We went to the gym daily and did cardio and weights, which inspired me to eat better/cut my alcohol intake. I'm down about 40 lbs, would like to lose another 20 by mid-January.

My other inspiration was looking at my Germany vacation pix from 2009 and being embarassed to show them to people since i was so fat.

DethMaiden
10-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Well, right now I'm doing the Insanity workout, and it's tough as balls especially on a tight schedule but I think it's been valuable. When I'm not doing a scripted workout, I like to jog/run, play basketball/football/baseball, and do situps and crunches because the belly is the area of my body I am most terrified of being fat in - even now at a good weight I have some belly, it's just how us Sanders are built, I guess.

And for the record, I weighed 161 this morning, and I was 220 at high school graduation, so I'm happy. :party:

EDIT: I forgot, I LOVE taking long bike rides, but at the end of last summer, I bused a tire and never replaced it, and I don't plan on bringing a bike to England. Not sure when the cycling will start back up... :snivel:

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-26-2010, 10:02 PM
About 6 months ago I stopped drinking sodas. I've dropped about 25-30 lbs without even trying. I don't even miss them.

TonyD
10-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Taco Bell diet.

ChildrenofSodom
10-27-2010, 05:14 AM
About 6 months ago I stopped drinking sodas. I've dropped about 25-30 lbs without even trying. I don't even miss them.

I did that in March. No more pop or Gatorade, and I try to avoid sugary juices. Mostly water and milk for me (a few beers here and there.) And you're right, I don't really miss it at all.

DethMaiden
10-27-2010, 06:28 AM
You lucky fuckers. The Pepsi and Coca Cola companies of America hooked me on their sugary goodness from a young age and I'll never totally stop. :snivel:

ravenheart
10-27-2010, 06:44 AM
I don't, in short. I used to do it by playing a lot of basketball, but no longer.

I will be taking up cycling soon, once my bike arrives.

Problem is I hate the repetitive stuff like gyms and running. It's just too boring. Plus gym culture here is very little to do with actually keeping fit. It's just the trendy thing for employed people to spend their money on.

I like sport, but the sports I play no one else does in this country, especially basketball. I can't play football because of old knee injuries, and that's the only thing everyone here plays.

Therefore, B-rad, it's your responsibility to embarass me on the court when you get here and get me fit. Kthanksbye!

zgodt
10-27-2010, 08:37 AM
Indoor soccer two nights a week.

DethMaiden
10-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Therefore, B-rad, it's your responsibility to embarass me on the court when you get here and get me fit. Kthanksbye!

:fist: Your wish is my command.

ChildrenofSodom
10-27-2010, 08:48 AM
I really want to join an indoor soccer league. And a softball team.

DethMaiden
10-27-2010, 09:02 AM
Yeah, I'm putting a lot of eggs into the intramural baseball basket right now. I need to spend more time in the batting cage but I am improving, and my fielding and throwing is solid enough.

Natrlhi
10-27-2010, 10:43 AM
I do a lot of things, depending on the time of year, how much time I have on my hands, whether I'm trying to lose weight, increase flexibility, increase strength or just have fun.

I lift weights a lot - I have ever since I was in high school. I've been somewhat overweight at times, but I've always had decent muscle mass ever since I started lifting. That has never been a problem. These days I try to work on flexibility a lot, and I've found yoga to be an absolute fucking blast (and it's tough as fuck, too - especially if you do it right). I've enjoyed active hobbies such as mountain biking, water skiing, SCUBA, basketball and many others at various stages of my life. I still do swim a lot - especially from January to March or April, when I'm getting ready for my annual Swim for Diabetes, in which I've managed to improve pretty much every year since I started (about ten years ago). The last few years, I've managed to complete about a three-mile swim in just under two hours (straight through, without stopping). Just prior to my swim training last year, I did the P90X program, and lost about 25 pounds. It felt great. I learned a lot from that program, and I'm planning to do it again in about a month, I think.

I always try to eat right, but that sometimes comes and goes with the seasons, holidays, whether I'm feeling good about what I weigh at the time, whatever. Sometimes I'll go through a phase where I ease up on the discipline for a while, if I've really done well recently. Sometimes those phases last longer than they should. :D I generally avoid fatty foods. I never eat potato chips, but I do have a weakness for ice cream. I really try to watch my carb intake, unless I'm planning on being active immediately thereafter. I try to eat fruit, low-fat / low-sugar yogurt and other healthy snacks, several times a day and eat smaller meals in general. I try not to eat late at night. Pretty much, the only fast food I eat is the Burrito Bol at Chipotle (or the equivalent at another burrito place, if a Chipotle isn't around), and I skip the guac and sour cream, get chicken instead of beef or pork, and black beans instead of pinto. Simple choices sometimes make all the difference when it comes to diet. I don't drink alcohol (anymore), but I do have a weakness for Diet Pepsi and Coke Zero. Sometimes I phase them out, but so far I've always found my way back into their cold, fizzy embrace. :D The bottom line for me is, I can't be perfect, but if I do some things right, a lot of the time, and try harder when I need to make up ground that I've lost, things seem to work out well. I know that hard work and discipline pay dividends, so now I have no excuses for being out of shape and feeling like shit. When I put in the work, I get results. When I don't, I don't. It's that simple.

Oh, and one more thing that most people don't think about - especially when they're young (myself included) - rest. I need to get at least six hours of sleep a night (preferably seven or eight) on a regular basis, or all the work I do just ends up being over-training, and then I get injured and / or sick. Speaking of injuries and rest, if I get hurt or sick, I have to fucking take a break and let my body heal. I always want to be in there doing something to make me stronger or faster or leaner, but sometimes the answer is to just slow down or even stop for a while. I'm bad at this, but I'm learning.

TonyD
10-27-2010, 10:55 AM
Are pinto beans that much worse than black? I just avoid refried.
And no way I'm giving up alcohol at 20, but other than that I don't drink anything with sugar or artificial sweeteners.

Natrlhi
10-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Are pinto beans that much worse than black? I just avoid refried.They're cooked with bacon (at least at Chipotle).

ChildrenofSodom
10-27-2010, 01:37 PM
I have food regret because I ate two star bursts in class today. So much sugar...I never really liked candy in the first place, so I don't feel bad about never having it. The chocolate flavored protein shake, maple oatmeal, and chocolate soymilk is good enough for my sweet tooth.

And I can't really say I mind not drinking alcohol. At least in the short term, since I have a specific weight loss goal, I don't feel bad about cutting things out of my diet. I don't "need" alcohol, and I'm not in a situation where abstaining would be socially destructive (I'm a loser in college.)

DethMaiden
10-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Took a desperate measure today and made giant wall posters advising me how to live my life and basically reminding me that this body is the only one I've got. I just find it way too easy to get complacent and reward myself with food/soda. When I was eating Taco Bell tonight, I realized that there was no goddamn reason I was in Taco Bell. So yeah, I'm satisfied with my weight range, but I'm going to make the most of it instead of being a 165 pound sack of fried meat and high fructose corn syrup. Sorry for the mini-rant.

treghet
10-31-2010, 01:14 AM
I realized that there was no goddamn reason I was in Taco Bell.

There is never a reason to be in Taco Bell. I don't know why, but anything I've tried at Taco Bell makes me feel very nauseous. I wish all fast food made me feel that way, actually... it would help me out a lot.

MPF
10-31-2010, 01:18 AM
From my Sophomore year of High school to today, Halloween I went from 340lbs down to 220lbs. All I did was two things.

1.) Play drums and gig
2.) Quit fucking eating so much.

I also must add that I'm 6ft 4in, so right now I'm not too shabby.

ChildrenofSodom
10-31-2010, 10:09 AM
So, on Friday I ate well all day and worked out. That night, I decided to splurge a little have have a "Buckeye" Milkshake, which is basically a chocolate shake with peanut butter. I knew I was going to have food guilt, but hey, the first milkshake I've had in 5.5 months...it's not going to kill me.

Fast forward to now: EDIT - Nevermind. :D

ShatteredFlame
10-31-2010, 10:55 AM
I actually have an eating disorder that prevents me from eating big portions and my stomach is usually weak against greasy food. So I mostly eat fish, chicken, pizza, fruits and granola bars. I don't drink any alcohol at all and just stick to ginger ale and water mostly.

I also have scoliosis so I can't bench too much so for my workout I actually have a bunch of 2x4's in my garage and I use a handsaw to cut 2 pieces with each of my arms every night. And then... 10 pull ups, 200 situps, 30 pushups, lift a 15lb weight 100 times on each arm, and 100 times on each arm on those rubber stretch things.

My body is toned but not big at all. I was fat when I was 14(17 now) but ever since high school I've started slimming down to a twig, but just the beginning of this year all these stomach problems started occurring. So since the summer I've been really getting in shape and I'm loving it. My younger brother who just started high school was already toned, so now we just compete for who has the better 6 pack. He probably will wind up becoming bigger than me though since he works out for football and doesn't have any scoliosis or stomach problems.

Seventhzealot
11-30-2011, 12:14 AM
I had weight issues while growing up and over the past year I made sweeping changes in my diet and lifestyle thus losing around 50 pounds in the process and putting on some decent muscle too. I'm a lean 148 pounds now.

The major changes I made were split up my meals into six small meals spread out across the day so I never feel too hungry and hence never binge and also my energy levels stay up. I do an intense work-out regime everyday bar one, focusing on one body part a day followed by an equally intense but short burst of cardio.

christopher
11-30-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm 5'8" and I used to weigh 210 lbs. I went vegan and worked out daily. I would run for a good hour and lift weights. After about 8 months, I lost about 75 lbs. Over the last year, I've been eating too much fast food and drinking too much beer. I went back to being a non vegan just cause I was done with it. After eating a lot of unhealthy food and drinking too much beer, I gained about 30 lbs back. I'm getting back into working out and cutting down on the bad food. I'm curious to how well P90X worked out for people who used it? I'm considering doing that myself

dcmetal108
11-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Honestly for me, I just stopped eating. I ran the course of over a month working two jobs every night of the week so it was get home from school then work till midnight and I would eat just one big night mean. No lunch or dinner and over the course of the month lost like 15 pounds. Sure its not healthy but my energy stayed the same and I never felt that sick.

Natrlhi
11-30-2011, 01:38 PM
I'm curious to how well P90X worked out for people who used it? I'm considering doing that myselfP90X fucking rocks. I'm about to start it again. I just have to decide how I'm going to alter the workout schedule because I go to yoga class on Wednesdays and the instructor is great and a frriend of mine, so I don't want to skip his class - but yoga is on Thursday in P90X. I want to make sure I make the adjustments in the ideal way, because the order of the workouts throughout the week is deliberate and well-thought-out, and I don't want to fuck with what worked so well for me the first time.

By the way, I was very religious with the workouts, pretty dedicated with the diet, and took my own supplements (whey protein, mainly). Those factors helped out a lot. I lost about 30 pounds and a few inches around my waist, while boosting my cardio and energy levels - as well as lean muscle mass - a great deal.

I recommend P90X without reservation to anyone - just make sure you do the pre-program fitness test to make sure you're able to handle the workouts, or you might get hurt if you try to bite off more than you can handle (pun not intended).

Div
11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
watching what foods i eat is number 1, aside from that i do this navy seal workout video twice a week, i got it off a torrent site. its some pretty intense shit but once u get used to it youll be invincible. i suppose its not too much different from crossfit or p90x (tho ive never tried them) i just prefer the strict military style over the club lights and techno music. running seems to be popular but i never really got into it.

christopher
11-30-2011, 04:20 PM
P90X fucking rocks. I'm about to start it again. I just have to decide how I'm going to alter the workout schedule because I go to yoga class on Wednesdays and the instructor is great and a frriend of mine, so I don't want to skip his class - but yoga is on Thursday in P90X. I want to make sure I make the adjustments in the ideal way, because the order of the workouts throughout the week is deliberate and well-thought-out, and I don't want to fuck with what worked so well for me the first time.

By the way, I was very religious with the workouts, pretty dedicated with the diet, and took my own supplements (whey protein, mainly). Those factors helped out a lot. I lost about 30 pounds and a few inches around my waist, while boosting my cardio and energy levels - as well as lean muscle mass - a great deal.

I recommend P90X without reservation to anyone - just make sure you do the pre-program fitness test to make sure you're able to handle the workouts, or you might get hurt if you try to bite off more than you can handle (pun not intended).

I want to get it but I definitely do not want to spend $140 on it:hecho: Has anyone torrented it yet?

ChildrenofSodom
11-30-2011, 04:46 PM
I have done 2 full rounds of P90X, and I use it on and off for my usual workouts. I highly recommend it. It helped me lose my 110 lbs since June 2010. I also like Insanity,and I'm getting P90X2 for Christmas. Also recommend Rushfit and The Pit.

Update on my weight situation: I was diagnosed in September with hypothyroidism and low testosterone. All summer long my energy was shot, I couldn't really workout, and I had violent mood swings. I'm now getting (shitty) treatment and I'm due to see an endocrinologist in a few weeks. My metabolism is basically dead, I'm too tired to exercise, and I'm always low-energy. I also can't "keep" muscle, no matter how much I lift and eat protein. It really sucks. :(

I quit weighing myself in September. I had lost 10 lbs eating according to the primal/paleo diet, which I still follow as close as possible. But due to my medical issues, I've decided to stop stressing about actively losing more weight. Once I get that shit figured out, I'd like to lose another 20 lbs. At this stage, I just want to be able to workout again. I miss the "high" and the pump. The fat loss comes with it, but I just miss how it made me feel. Sitting around feeling fat and tired isn't fun.

ChildrenofSodom
11-30-2011, 05:33 PM
WOAH! Can't post torrents dude. Do it in a private message.

christopher
11-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the links! I'm going to download them now. If you want to edit them out so you don't get in trouble, I already clicked on them. Thanks again for the help :D

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 02:51 AM
Dancing, which can lead to more physical activity if you find the right person to dance with. ;P

Look at the ingredients on the food I eat, If I it sounds like it's not natural it's not going in my body.

TonyD
12-12-2012, 02:16 PM
Anybody still into this bullshit?

Dextrimental
12-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Anybody still into this bullshit?

Yup. I work out at least twice a week.

DethMaiden
12-12-2012, 02:29 PM
:lol:

I'm only as "into" it as I ever was, which is to say I'm trying to combat the kind of lethargy that makes me get fat, getting to the gym as often as possible, playing basketball when it's warm, and eating not-horrible things.

christopher
12-12-2012, 02:36 PM
I kind of fell out of working out so often and eating a lot of fast food late at night. I'm currently working on not eating out and cooking healthy meals and trying to work out as often each week as I can. I want to lose 30 pounds.

rjturtle9
12-12-2012, 03:01 PM
I just finished day 3 of insanity. I want to get toned and build a little muscle. Then it's p90x to really bulk up!

powerslave_85
12-12-2012, 03:05 PM
I do thirty minutes (usually about two miles) on the treadmill 3 times a week. I've been running since August and I've lost at least 30 pounds. I've relaxed my healthy eating a bit for the holidays because I'm only human, but I try not to go overboard.

ShatteredFlame
12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I was only 144lbs and very skinny when I entered college and now I am 170lbs 3 semesters later and have become a lot more muscular. Feels awesome.

John The Drummer
12-13-2012, 09:46 AM
I haven't had much time to do my push up/sit up routine for a while, but I've been drumming for 2-3 hours nearly everyday. I guess that makes up for it :D

IrritatedTrout
12-20-2012, 10:01 AM
I do HIIT sprints every morning and usually do 120 chin-ups with 17 pounds on my back (in sets of 10 rotating between 3 different grips) and 170 pushups in sets varying from 15 to 30 most days. When I work evenings I usually only have time for one of those strength exercises.

So I suppose I'm into it.:lol:

adamclark52
07-05-2013, 06:19 PM
I've just cut out snacking, been drinking a lot of water and been eating brown bread diet-wise. And smaller portions. As far as "working out", I try to get on the treadmill every day but it's usually more like four times a week. A half hour each time, at a speed of 3.5 mph, an incline of 7 (whatever that is) and speeding up to 6 mph every four minutes for thirty seconds.

So far I've dropped seventeen pounds in about three months. But more importantly I feel really good after I'm done.