PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Rock Operas

BloodoftheKings
10-23-2010, 06:43 PM
By this I mean favorite story, not taking the music into consideration. Mine are.

The Who- Tommy

GWAR- Beyond Hell (the story so bad it's awesome)

GWAR- America Must Be Destroyed (same as above)

And Pretty much every King Diamond album

treghet
10-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory

Wizzbang11
10-23-2010, 06:53 PM
GWAR- America Must Be Destroyed (same as above)

I dunno about that...
Some of the songs definitely go together, but half the album is just random GWAR songs. That said it's my favorite album, so I'll go with it. ;)
GWAR-RagNaRok

King Diamond-Abigal, Them, Conspiracy
Iron Maiden- Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

ravenheart
10-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Little bit of confusion here between "concept album" and "rock opera", I think...

'The Human Equation' (Ayreon) is a rock opera. 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' is not.

BloodoftheKings
10-23-2010, 07:16 PM
I dunno about that...
Some of the songs definitely go together, but half the album is just random GWAR songs. That said it's my favorite album, so I'll go with it. ;)

Well Phallus in Wonderland sequences the songs into a story so I figured it sorta counts.

Wrathchild_84
10-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I'm quite partial to Phantom Of The Paradise.

Wizzbang11
10-23-2010, 07:39 PM
'The Human Equation' (Ayreon) is a rock opera. 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' is not.

How is Seventh Son not a rock opera?

BloodoftheKings
10-23-2010, 09:48 PM
How is Seventh Son not a rock opera?

Seventh Son is more of a concept album the a rock opera

DethMaiden
10-23-2010, 09:50 PM
Are the two different? Besides the fact that concept album sounds pretentious whereas rock opera just sounds gay?

Wizzbang11
10-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Seventh Son is more of a concept album the a rock opera

There is no way in hell you can call any GWAR album a rock opera and not Seventh Son.

I really see no difference between a concept album and a rock opera, if a concept album can be an album that tells a story, where every song relates to said story.

BloodoftheKings
10-23-2010, 10:08 PM
There is no way in hell you can call any GWAR album a rock opera and not Seventh Son.

I really see no difference between a concept album and a rock opera, if a concept album can be an album that tells a story, where every song relates to said story.

Beyond Hell is definetely a rock opera.

Concept Album- an album that is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical.

Rock Opera- a work of rock music that presents a storyline told over multiple parts, songs or sections in the manner of opera.

Wizzbang11
10-23-2010, 10:27 PM
Beyond Hell is definetely a rock opera.

Concept Album- an album that is "unified by a theme, which can be instrumental, compositional, narrative, or lyrical.

Rock Opera- a work of rock music that presents a storyline told over multiple parts, songs or sections in the manner of opera.

So how is Seventh Son not a rock opera by that definition?

Maiden33
10-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Little bit of confusion here between "concept album" and "rock opera", I think...

Exactly.

TonyD
10-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Dayman

mastodon421
10-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Dayman

Fighter Of the Nightman!

BloodoftheKings
10-24-2010, 02:13 PM
I guess you can bring up the concept album argument again but I dont really care anymore.

Macabre- Dahmer

makethemsuffer12
10-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Fighter Of the Nightman!

Champion of the sun!

TonyD
10-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Champion of the sun!

You're a master of...
karate! And...

friendship! For everyone.

daimonos
10-24-2010, 08:50 PM
http://innergeticus.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/ziltoid.jpg?w=320&h=249

Dextrimental
10-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Dark Side of the Moon/The Wall - Pink Floyd
Leviathan - Mastodon
Colors - Between The Buried And Me

I dont care about the difference between rock opera and concept album, since a rock opera is a concpet album by definition anyway as its an album of music unified by a commn theme, being a narrative. Thusly, these are my current favorite concept albums.

Maiden33
10-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Honestly, I think the thing that is the real determining factor between a "Rock Opera" and a Concept Album is multiple singers. If you're gonna have one singer doing the whole thing, without even well-defined characters, it is NOT a Rock Opera. There's no shame in it. I think people are getting defensive, like its taking something away from the album, but no. Most of my favorite albums are concept albums, but none of them are Rock Operas, with the exception of probably Operation:Mindcrime. The rest? No.

Maybe I'll get around to doing this eventually.

Dextrimental
10-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Honestly, I think the thing that is the real determining factor between a "Rock Opera" and a Concept Album is multiple singers. If you're gonna have one singer doing the whole thing, without even well-defined characters, it is NOT a Rock Opera. There's no shame in it. I think people are getting defensive, like its taking something away from the album, but no. Most of my favorite albums are concept albums, but none of them are Rock Operas, with the exception of probably Operation:Mindcrime. The rest? No.

Maybe I'll get around to doing this eventually.

Fair point, that does separate the albums I mentioned from alot of the actual rock operas you would know (due to the style of music you invest most of your time into, you would be alot more familiar with rock operas than I would) but really, rock opera is an offshoot of concept album anyway. but a very defined one which has its own merits.

Indestructible
10-24-2010, 09:37 PM
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Scenes From a Memory- Dream Theater
Operation Mindcrime - Queensryche

Would Bat out of Hell I & II bt Meat Loaf be considered rock operas. Whether they are or not both albums are epic.

JuuKun
10-25-2010, 05:19 AM
Ayreon - The Human Equation

ChildrenofSodom
10-25-2010, 05:38 AM
I always thought Rock Operas were musicals with rock music. Not sure where I got that idea....I was going to say Rocky Horror Picture Show.

But now that I know what it means, I'd say Mindcrime and American Idiot.

zgodt
10-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars