PDA

View Full Version : High On Fire -- San Francisco, CA -- September 29th, 2010

TonyD
09-30-2010, 12:54 AM
What a show. Torche was the standout for me, HOF was killer and sounded as good or better than ever, but this is at least the 7th time I've seen them in about 2 and a half years. The good thing is that I've heard at least one song I haven't heard before every time.

Kylesa wasn't bad but didn't seem on top of their game, it sounded like they were holding their voices back since it was the first night of the tour. Also it wasn't very loud, the drums weren't mic'ed so it was basically at garage band volume. Apparently they're the main hipster band which I don't understand at all, but I definitely saw some fools with Chrome bags and rimmed glasses doing the lazy neck headbang.
Merch included 3-4 shirts at $15-20 and a hoodie, belts, screen prints of the 2 latest albums ($15/30) and a $12 belt.
* indicates all the new songs from Spiral Shadow, out next month.

Kylesa
Hollow Server
Unknown Awareness
Running Red
Tired Climb *
Said and Done
Forsaken *
Only One
? * [edit: pretty sure it was Crowded Road]
This * (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtNGSXqS_A4&feature=related) [edit: Don't Look Back]
Scapegoat

I was a little skeptical about 3 piece Torche live, but my doubts went out the door. The guitar tone was amazing (this is coming off seeing Sleep a few weeks ago fyi), and the guitarist made good use of effects to fill any gaps. I was a little disappointed not to hear at least Healer and a few other songs I thought would be gimmies. I don't think Tarpit Carnivore is the greatest song but it was an awesome closer, how you say... heavy as fuck?

Torche
Pirana
Sandstorm
In Return
Songs for Singles (not in order, I'm pretty sure In Return was in the middle of it somewhere)
?
Charge of the Brown Recluse
Tarpit Carnivore

Somebody fucked up the 2 lousy samples in the whole set, so that The Path was the intro music leading into Turk, which was confusing, then the lead in to Turk played before FFP :wallbang: oh well. Like I said, I'm running out of fingers to count how many times I've seen these guys and they finally play Blessed Black Wings, and it was everything I expected. Silverback was a big surprise too, and it was way more intense live. Zion and FFP were the other standouts, it's kind of sad that songs like Turk and Tiamat are getting old. And I just noticed, no Devilution :D

High On Fire
Turk
Frost Hammer
BLESSED BLACK WINGS
Waste of Tiamat
Blood From Zion [Edit: actually Bahgdad]
Rumors
Bastard Samurai
Fire, Flood & Plague
Eyes & Teeth
Silverback :eek:
Hung, Drawn & Quartered
-
Snakes For the Divine

mankvill
09-30-2010, 02:07 AM
High On Fire
Turk
Frost Hammer
BLESSED BLACK WINGS
Waste of Tiamat
Blood From Zion
Rumors
Bastard Samurai
Fire, Flood & Plague
Eyes & Teeth
Silverback :eek:
Hung, Drawn & Quartered
-
Snakes For the Divine

shitchyeah. Blessed Black Wings just might be my favorite High on Fire song, and Eyes & Teeth, HD&Q and motherfucking Silverback are beasts.

petrovar
09-30-2010, 04:01 AM
While the HOF set is sweet, I wish it was longer. Plus I HAVE to see Speedwolf live. I've seen them 4 times and have never heard it...ARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

mastodon421
09-30-2010, 04:14 AM
Holy shit Silverback:rocker:. I am hopefully going to this show I really,really need to see High On Fire.

MikeConnor123
09-30-2010, 09:28 AM
this is a good set, but why no fury whip?!

TonyD
09-30-2010, 05:56 PM
this is a good set, but why no fury whip?!

Cause they've played it on almost every tour since the song came out.

idrinkwine732
09-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Bummed I couldn't make this one. I really want to see Kylesa.

bobbie solo
10-01-2010, 10:36 PM
really excited for when this comes to NY. should be a crazy show. Never seen of the bands.

DethMaiden
10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
No Grenades or Healer for Torche is a huge bummer.

Natrlhi
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
The Tony,

The mystery song that you posted the link to is "Don't Look Back" - and the opening track is "Hollow Severer".

EDIT: I'll betcha the other new one was the title track from the new album. That song fucking rocks. :fist:

EDIT2:

shitchyeah. Blessed Black Wings just might be my favorite High on Fire song, and Eyes & Teeth, HD&Q and motherfucking Silverback are beasts.This. Exactly. Word for fucking word. :fist:

No Grenades or Healer for Torche is a huge bummer.:agree: Agreed. Also would have been good to see "Speed of the Nail" and / or "Across the Shields". Especially "Shields". Definitely.

TonyD
10-05-2010, 11:34 AM
The Tony,

The mystery song that you posted the link to is "Don't Look Back" - and the opening track is "Hollow Severer".

EDIT: I'll betcha the other new one was the title track from the new album. That song fucking rocks. :fist:

:lol: 2 am typo
And I'm pretty sure it wasn't, I'll try to figure it out soon.

Natrlhi
10-05-2010, 11:54 AM
So, two things:

First, I like all three sets. I would rank them HoF > Kylesa > Torche in terms of awesomeness, for the following reasons:

HoF's set includes all / most of the essentials, except maybe Devilution but then again, they played BLESSED BLACK FUCKING WINGS :rocker:. The Tony, you are a lucky bastard. I've seen them four times now and still haven't heard my favorite song of theirs. Kylesa's set rules simply because they played all the best songs from Static Tensions, plus Hollow Severer (the best track from TWFIW), and several new tracks (I'm liking Spiral Shadow so far). Torche's set comes in last simply because they skipped a few of my favorites, played the entire new EP - which I'm still getting used to (it's just OK to me so far), and they ended with two monumental sludgefests back to back. That must have been one long, molasses-like fucking ending. Heavy, yes, but I mean holy shit already. :eek:

The second thing is, I have a real schedule dilemma for next week. I could see just one of the following:

Triptykon / 1349 / Yakuza for $20 in C-town on a Wednesday night...I've never seen any of the three bands before.
High on Fire / Kylesa / Torche for $15 - same venue, on Friday - but I've seen (HoF x 4) + (Kylesa x 3) + (Torche x 1) before, or...
BLS (fucking yawn) / Bodom / CLUTCH in Shittsburgh, which is about two hours away for about fifty got damn dollars.

I hate to say it, because I reallyreallyreallyreally want to see Triptykon, but it's looking like it might be HoF/Kylesa/Torche. :snivel:

Help!

ADD
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
The second thing is, I have a real schedule dilemma for next week. I could see just one of the following:

Triptykon / 1349 / Yakuza for $20 in C-town on Wednesday...I've never seen any of the three before.
High on Fire / Kylesa / Torche for $15 - same venue, on Friday - but I've seen (HoF x 4) + (Kylesa x 3) + (Torche x 1) before, or...

Triptykon definitely, HOF Kylesa and Torche tour multiple times a year.

Should've gone to this gig, will be at Triptykon though.

Natrlhi
10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
Triptykon definitely, HOF Kylesa and Torche tour multiple times a year.Fuck me, you might be right. Got dammit this is a tough call. I wish I had more interest in 1349 or Yakuza - that might make the difference. I've listened to some of their stuff, and I like it OK, but I'm not dying to see either one.

Shit.

Derelict
10-05-2010, 12:11 PM
What ADD said - you gotta see Tryptikon if its a choice of one of those only - who knows, this could be Tryptikon's only tour, you can see all the others whenever (and for cheaper, with CoB/Clutch)

larvtard
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
High on Fire set could be better, honestly. I need to hear "Death is this Communion" :mad:
Also, WTF no Fury whip?? To Cross the Bridge would be nice as well, but that's fine.
From their new album, they should only be playing the title track and Frost Hammer. and MAYBE Bastard Samuari. but that's it.

I do like Turk and HD&Q, though :) Blessed Black Wings isn't bad either, but I don't get the worship for it or anything.

idrinkwine732
10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Should've gone to this gig, will be at Triptykon though.

Here? Why did I think you live in LA?

moobys37
10-05-2010, 04:37 PM
BLS (fucking yawn) / Bodom / CLUTCH in Shittsburgh, which is about two hours away for about fifty got damn dollars.

Not to mention they booked an outdoor venue for a mid-October show that sucks. Go see Triptykon.

daimonos
10-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Not to mention they booked an outdoor venue for a mid-October show that sucks. Go see Triptykon.

I've been wandering why the hell they're playing at the Ampitheater, but oh well...that's definitely a cool stage to see all three of those bands on.

bigguytoo9
10-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Uhh, like anyone would pick seeing Matt Pike live over seeing TOM WARRIOR?? Triptykon is the best pick for sure. After seeing HOF a few times it gets a bit boring. Plus the new HOF album isnt really all that great aside from Bastard Samurai and Frosthammer.

Derelict
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Uhh, like anyone would pick seeing Matt Pike live over seeing TOM WARRIOR??

for his abs

mankvill
10-05-2010, 06:33 PM
After seeing HOF a few times it gets a bit boring. Plus the new HOF album isnt really all that great aside from Bastard Samurai and Frosthammer.

NOPE.avi

But I'd still choose Triptykon.

TonyD
10-05-2010, 08:04 PM
for his abs

, and teeth.
They should change the title of that song to Abs & Teeth.

Natrlhi
10-06-2010, 08:49 AM
Uhh, like anyone would pick seeing Matt Pike live over seeing TOM WARRIOR??Uhh, it's not just about a choice between those two guys - and even if it were, the selection for me would be tougher than it obviously is for you. It's also about going to a show on a Friday night vs. Wednesday night, seeing three awesome bands on one bill vs. one awesome band and two bands I'm only mildly interested in, and I guess you could also say it's about the HoF show being slightly cheaper, but they're both definitely worth the money, so that's not really a big factor, but it's there. A High on Fire / Kylesa / Torche triple bill is a hard thing to say "no" to, my friend - at least for me.

After seeing HOF a few times it gets a bit boring.So you say. I enjoy myself more each time I go, and I've seen them four times already.

Plus the new HOF album isnt really all that great aside from Bastard Samurai and Frosthammer.Again, so says you. True - I like Blessed Black Wings a lot more, but Snakes is at least as good as - if not better then - Death Is This Communion, which definitely does not suck. Most of the new album is pure awesomeness, and every bit of it is, at the very least, damn good.

(Which reminds me...I need to go and make sure that High on Fire has been added to the "Unfuckwithable Five Album Streaks" thread...it's now official. :fist:)

moobys37
10-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Uhh, it's not just about a choice between those two guys - and even if it were, the selection for me would be tougher than it obviously is for you. It's also about going to a show on a Friday night vs. Wednesday night, seeing three awesome bands on one bill vs. one awesome band and two bands I'm only mildly interested in, and I guess you could also say it's about the HoF show being slightly cheaper, but they're both definitely worth the money, so that's not really a big factor, but it's there. A High on Fire / Kylesa / Torche triple bill is a hard thing to say "no" to, my friend - at least for me.

I take it that you can't just go to both? That would be the ideal choice if it's possible.