PDA

View Full Version : Metallica writing material for new album

Travis The Dragon
09-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Rob Trujillo suggests that the band “almost have too many great songwriting ideas”. Strong words, indeed!

Rob Trujillo has revealed that Metallica have been writing for their next studio album, though it sounds like a release date could still be some way off. Speaking to 3 News prior to the band’s September 21, 2010 concert at the CBS Canterbury Arena in Christchurch, New Zealand: “All of ‘Death Magnetic’ was written on the ‘St. Anger’ tour in a room like this, on the road, and we’ve been kind of doing the same thing on this tour. I mean, we won’t together and go, ‘Hey, OK. Ready? Let’s write.’ I’m jamming and all of a sudden, you’ve got a great sound and ‘Whoa!’, a riff just appears. There’s a vibe.

“We’ve got lots of material. We don’t dare start going through it, because that just starts the unraveling of it all — it’s like, ‘OK, which is the best riff? We start with that one,’ and blah blah blah.

“We want to get to a place of rest and chill after the tour and then we start writing.

“Every album we wanna write the best stuff we can. And that’s the thread between all the albums. It might sound really extremely different, every album, to the fan that’s out there that doesn’t see what we do from 2010 to 2015, or whatever it’s gonna take… And by no means am I saying it’s coming out in 2015!”

“Five years is a lot of time between the last record and the next record — between touring and the writing and the (whole) thing. A lot things happened in our lives, and we just want to make the best one possible. We don’t know who the producer’ll be even or anything.”

“One thing I can say is… It’s amazing because when we get into a jam environment [at] our little headquarters out in California, it’s like the minute everyone puts on their instruments, you just start having fun. I mean, it’s kind of like being a teenager again, and that magic is still there. Whereas most bands, as they get into a certain place in their careers, they almost lose that drive and that motivation to create, to where sometimes they even have to hire outside writers. But that’s completely nonexistent in this band; it’s almost like sometimes there’s too much great stuff, which is a great blessing to have that, a good fortune. But it’s very exciting for us. I almost feel — at least for me personally — that ‘Death Magnetic’ is kind of a launchpad into what we can be doing and what we will be doing. ‘Cause stuff, to me at least, is already sounding good. This guy right here [turns to Hetfield], he plugs in his guitar, turns the volume knob and he’s got an insane riff. It’s that easy for him. [Laughs]”

Hetfield: “It’s not coming from me, man. It’s powers elsewhere. I’m just the messenger, man, bringing the metal message. [Laughs]”SOURCE (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=146707)

Hopefully they'll go for even more of the sound of their first 4 albums. Death Magnetic had some of that, but at least 75% would be great.

TonyD
09-28-2010, 03:17 PM
This is not news Fonzie

Travis The Dragon
09-28-2010, 03:20 PM
Why do you think that Tony?

Derelict
09-28-2010, 03:33 PM
wgas/wgaf

ravenheart
09-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Why do you think that Tony?

Because there's no information in it. It's just the bass player saying he's been jamming while on tour.

Hammett said the same thing about a week ago. They've actually done nothing, written no songs, recorded nothing.

elturtleboy
09-28-2010, 03:43 PM
After Death Pathetic got my hopes up for nutten,i really hope they just stop makin music and keep touring.

mankvill
09-28-2010, 03:48 PM
After Death Pathetic got my hopes up for nutten,i really hope they just stop makin music and keep touring.

Hey, if they can make an album full of songs like The End Of The Line, All Nightmare Long, The Judas Kiss and My Apocalypse, I'd buy it Day One.

ravenheart
09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Hey, if they can make an album full of songs like The End Of The Line, All Nightmare Long, The Judas Kiss and My Apocalypse, I'd buy it Day One.

+1

Sanitarium78
09-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Another reason this is not news is because most professional musicians have always got song ideas and are usually working on them in some way. Weather it be just jamming on something backstage, during soundcheck, in the hotel/tour bus or whatever. You may as well title the thread "every band everywhere is working on new material".

SomewhereInTime72
09-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Oh hells yes. :cool:
Another reason this is not news is because most professional musicians have always got song ideas and are usually working on them in some way. Weather it be just jamming on something backstage, during soundcheck, in the hotel/tour bus or whatever. You may as well title the thread "every band everywhere is working on new material".

I'm not professional and I'm pretty much constantly working on about two pieces at any given point in time.

Sanitarium78
09-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Oh hells yes. :cool:

I'm not professional and I'm pretty much constantly working on about two pieces at any given point in time.

Exactly. If you're even slightly involved in the music world and you play and instrument you've always got something going on. The only musicians i've ever known have been in local bands and even they eat, breath and sleep their music and are always working on it.

I'd imagine Metallica is very much the same. It's been their life for the better part of 30 years now.

makethemsuffer12
09-28-2010, 05:36 PM

:finger2:

Onioner
09-28-2010, 05:44 PM
I've been waiting to say this!

GODDAMMIT FONZY

darkguardian50
09-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Death Magnetic was by and large awesome. I liked at least 50% of it which is a huge improvement over every album since Justice. All Nightmare Long is one of my fav Metallica songs. So if they can do something as good or better than Death Magnetic then I'll be a happy camper.

JLRedWing13
09-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Big 4 US tour first plz. But I am excited to hear some new stuff. :D

idrinkwine732
09-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Big 4 US tour first plz. But I am excited to hear some new stuff. :D

Don't forget, Dave said it's gonna happen, right before he played My Last Words :cool::finger:

illuminatus917
09-28-2010, 09:58 PM
After Death Magnetic, I would be pleased if Metallica went instrumental.

TonyD
09-28-2010, 10:10 PM

I miiiiight, if it was well produced.

makethemsuffer12
09-29-2010, 07:39 AM
After Death Magnetic, I would be pleased if Metallica went instrumental.

Whaaat? There is nothing wrong with the vocals on DM.

DethMaiden
09-29-2010, 07:52 AM

Meh. I loved Death Magnetic, but there is something wrong with James going from having the best thrash bark on the planet to singing like the redneck that he isn't.

Sanitarium78
09-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Meh. I loved Death Magnetic, but there is something wrong with James going from having the best thrash bark on the planet to singing like the redneck that he isn't.

The issue with that is James was never a singer. Even he has admitted that and says TBA was the first time he ever actually sung anything. I think going from being a barker to a singer actually killed his voice and caused him to lose a lot of his vocal power. That's why he sings like he does now, it may sound funny but he killed his voice by trying to sing.

illuminatus917
09-29-2010, 08:35 AM

Well, it's not necessarily that his voice is horrible, I just felt when listening to that album, given their sound, they may benefit from a purely instrumental album. But I do miss Hetfield's vocals from the early days.

makethemsuffer12
09-29-2010, 08:46 AM

I get that, but there isn't even a bit of the redneck voice on DM.

The_jman
09-29-2010, 10:13 AM
I get that, but there isn't even a bit of the redneck voice on DM.
its the guitar and drumb sound that sucks on DM... production sucks IMO.

makethemsuffer12
09-29-2010, 10:28 AM
its the guitar and drumb sound that sucks on DM... production sucks IMO.

Yeah, that's my main gripe with the album. It sounds so shitty through headphones. Though I must say, it does sound pretty good when played through car speakers.

If Metallica can write songs up to the quality of DM with someone like Bob Rock or Andy Sneap producing, it could easily be one of their best albums.

Onioner
09-29-2010, 01:45 PM
If Andy Sneap produced Metallica, then that would be amazing. Dude seems to be able to bring out the best in thrash bands. The only thing I don't like about his production is his clicky bass drum sound.

makethemsuffer12
09-29-2010, 01:53 PM
If Andy Sneap produced Metallica, then that would be amazing. Dude seems to be able to bring out the best in thrash bands.

Agreed. The metal community would rejoice if Sneap was chosen to produce the next Metallica album. I can't even remember the countless times I've seen people saying that they wanted Sneap to produce them.

Maiden33
09-29-2010, 01:55 PM
Andy Sneap's production on the first couple Blaze albums... :drool:

Fuck, just about everything about those first two albums... :drool:

JRA
09-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Unless all the tracks (except maybe one epic) are under 5 minutes, count me out. Metallica need to remember how to play short bursts of speed metal again.

Also, James was never a "barker," he always sang. His voice just lost balls around 1996. Well everything about him lost balls then but that's not the point.

Maiden33
09-29-2010, 02:41 PM
Andy Sneap's production on the first couple Blaze albums... :drool:

Fuck, just about everything about those first two albums... :drool:

DethMaiden
09-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Also, James was never a "barker," he always sang. His voice just lost balls around 1996. Well everything about him lost balls then but that's not the point.

:confused:

DEAR MOTHER DEAR FATHER
WHAT IS THIS HELL YOU HAVE PUT ME THROUGH
BELIEVER DECEIVER
DAY IN DAY OUT LIVE MY LIFE THROUGH YOU

ravenheart
09-29-2010, 03:31 PM
If Metallica can write songs up to the quality of DM with someone like Bob Rock or Andy Sneap producing, it could easily be one of their best albums.

Bob Rock? Are you kidding?

ravenheart
09-29-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah, that's my main gripe with the album. It sounds so shitty through headphones. Though I must say, it does sound pretty good when played through car speakers.

That had nothing to do with the production.

makethemsuffer12
09-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Bob Rock? Are you kidding?

I'm talking about the actual sound. Besides, I don't think Metallica would put out Load 3 just because Rock was back as the producer, especially with thrash's popularity nowadays. If he did the album it would sound like a monster. Anything would be better than Greg Fidelman fucking up the sound again.

That had nothing to do with the production.

Elaborate.

SomewhereInTime72
09-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Elaborate.

It's more the mastering that sucks donkey balls, rather than the production. Which is also mediocre though, IMO.

ravenheart
09-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Elaborate.

I'm not saying the production was stellar or anything. But it's a widely known issue that the version that was released on CD was not the way it was delivered to the record company. They digitally increased the loudness, which is why it sounds dreadful on headphones.

Google "loudness war". The wiki page on it is uncharacteristically good.

makethemsuffer12
09-29-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm not saying the production was stellar or anything. But it's a widely known issue that the version that was released on CD was not the way it was delivered to the record company. They digitally increased the loudness, which is why it sounds dreadful on headphones.

Yeah I know about the "loudness war" and clipping etc. etc. That's what I was referring to.

darkguardian50
09-29-2010, 05:13 PM
If you have a good hifi system as I do it sounds great. Especially the vinyl. However the production does suck. Lars drum sounds almost as bad as in St. Anger. Well ok maybe not THAT bad but its still horrific. The guitars are a little buzzy and overmixed. Still the songs sound pretty great live. Sneap would do a killer job with Metallica. I've loved his work with Nevermore. They just need to put their foot down about this loudness bullshit. I kinda have a lot of respect for Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth for saying enough is enough about that shit. People said the album wasn't loud enough which is bullshit because yea its not as loud as most metal albums now but you can hear things alot more clearly. If you have a good system and crank it up it sounds really great. Its a shame the album wasn't better though.

JRA
09-29-2010, 05:29 PM
:confused:

DEAR MOTHER DEAR FATHER
WHAT IS THIS HELL YOU HAVE PUT ME THROUGH
BELIEVER DECEIVER
DAY IN DAY OUT LIVE MY LIFE THROUGH YOU

That was singing. Barking to me is completely atonal. There are no notes to it what so ever. See: Paul Balloff

But it's a widely known issue that the version that was released on CD was not the way it was delivered to the record company. They digitally increased the loudness, which is why it sounds dreadful on headphones.

Then it wouldn't matter who produces this next one whether its Bob Rock, Colin Richardson, Mutt Lange or Timberland. The record company is just gonna digitally make it loud again whether the band wants them too or not.

DethMaiden
09-29-2010, 06:00 PM
That was singing. Barking to me is completely atonal. There are no notes to it what so ever. See: Paul Balloff

Ah, sorry I didn't know your completely arbitrary definition of an idiomatic word.

JRA
09-29-2010, 06:04 PM
James might have been "barking" but it was still singing.

JLRedWing13
09-29-2010, 09:16 PM
I highly doubt you will see Metallica get a different producer for this album.

ravenheart
09-30-2010, 04:21 AM
Then it wouldn't matter who produces this next one whether its Bob Rock, Colin Richardson, Mutt Lange or Timberland. The record company is just gonna digitally make it loud again whether the band wants them too or not.

Entirely possible, yes. You've still got to have a decent production base anyway. The loudness problem doesn't completely destroy the original. A great production will simply sound shit. A shit production will sound even worse.

But yes, the differences between the competant producers will be completely lost. A Sneap produced album that's been digitally fucked with after could quite easily end up sound just like a Bob Rock produced one after the same treatment.