ENCORE
15. Colors
16. Watching Over Me
17. My Own Savior
18. Iced Earth

I bootlegged the whole set, here's what I have on youtube so far
Burning Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ei81YdKoIo
Declaration Day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz_WsNEQprA

I don't have the Sons Of Liberty set because I got there during their 2nd to the last song but I'm sure it's the same set as the one they played in Chicago. Well at least the last 2 songs were the same.

MPF
09-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Wow such a great setlist. Such a shame it's only a 4 date tour.

maidenpriest
09-26-2010, 08:47 PM
should let me know when Travel in Stygian and Last December are up! :) i wanna hear how those sound these days.

darkguardian50
09-26-2010, 11:46 PM
I don't get why they keep doing Declaration Day, that song sits right in the middle of the break in Matt's voice and he really doesn't sound good singing it until the end. The majority of the song just sits in exactly the wrong spot for him and really continuing to sing it is just going to mess up his voice in the long run. You can really hear him straining. And contrasting he sounds fucking amazing on Burning Times. I think they probably are better off just staying away from the Ripper material aside from the ones Matt covered in the studio. Though I think he could probably do a really good job on Attilla and Red Baron. Definitely Attilla.

I think its interesting that this setlist has no songs from either of the last two albums. I find that rather odd. Good to see them doing Colors though.

ricky4502
09-27-2010, 07:42 AM
should let me know when Travel in Stygian and Last December are up! :) i wanna hear how those sound these days.

Last December is up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqD1hDekbvM

Sanitarium78
09-27-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't get why they keep doing Declaration Day, that song sits right in the middle of the break in Matt's voice and he really doesn't sound good singing it until the end. The majority of the song just sits in exactly the wrong spot for him and really continuing to sing it is just going to mess up his voice in the long run. You can really hear him straining. And contrasting he sounds fucking amazing on Burning Times. I think they probably are better off just staying away from the Ripper material aside from the ones Matt covered in the studio. Though I think he could probably do a really good job on Attilla and Red Baron. Definitely Attilla.

I think its interesting that this setlist has no songs from either of the last two albums. I find that rather odd. Good to see them doing Colors though.

I haven't heard Barlow do Declaration Day but he should be able to pull off everything from TGB because from what I know they had that album recorded with him on vocals before he decided to leave the band. Then they hired Ripper and just re-recorded everything.

Yes, Atilla would be awesome it fits Matt's voice perfectly.

darkguardian50
09-27-2010, 10:24 AM
Jon said that but if you listen to most of that album I don't buy it. I can see some of the songs but I just don't believe there is any possible way the Gettysburg trilogy was written for Matt's voice. He REALLY struggles on that. About 75% of those 3 songs as with Declaration Day lay right in that same break in his voice. Problem is Matt is pretty much a baritone and Ripper is a tenor. Its gonna be problematic for alot of the stuff that was very comfortable for Ripper to sing.

Yea Attila its funny cause when I heard that song I thought it was written clearly for Matt because Ripper sounded kinda toothless doing it. I'd love to hear Matt do that because I really love that song and he would do a better job than Ripper on it.

kAiN
09-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't have the Sons Of Liberty set because I got there during their 2nd to the last song but I'm sure it's the same set as the one they played in Chicago. Well at least the last 2 songs were the same.

It is the same set list, ricky4502. By the way, I think I remember you recording the show. Were you wearing an Iced Earth (2008 or 2004 tour) shirt?

01. Jekyll Island
02. Don't Tread On Me
03. False Flags
04. Indentured Servitude
05. Tree Of Liberty
06. Feeling Helpless
07. We The People

Sons of Liberty Line-up:

Vocals: Jon Schaffer
Guitar: Troy Seele
Guitar: Matt O'Rourke*
Bass: Freddie Vidales
Drums: Brent Smedley

I had to ask the sound engineer for his name.

ricky4502
09-27-2010, 04:56 PM
It is the same set list, ricky4502. By the way, I think I remember you recording the show. Were you wearing an Iced Earth (2008 or 2004 tour) shirt?
[/I]

Actually no that wasn't me... I was wearing a maiden final frontier tour shirt and it was my 1st time seeing iced earth

kAiN
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Was there a guy going wild right in front of you? :blaze: I can hear him in your videos.

It was my first time too. I haven't seen them in Brazil, so I couldn't miss this opportunity, right? Hahahahahaha.

maidenpriest
09-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Last December is up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqD1hDekbvM

thanks a lot :)

and i do agree with darkguardian, i think Glorious Burden does really well for the Ripper more. Barlow didnt sound the best on High Water Mark imo even though he did nail the last high note.

darkguardian50
09-27-2010, 09:18 PM
thanks a lot :)

and i do agree with darkguardian, i think Glorious Burden does really well for the Ripper more. Barlow didnt sound the best on High Water Mark imo even though he did nail the last high note.
Yea Matt has no problem with the high stuff, its the normal stuff that Ripper sings effortlessly (and man is he a great live singer) that Matt has trouble with, understandably. There aren't to many baritone's in metal and certainly not many with the range that Matt has, but he has his limits. Last December is awesome. I'm glad Jon has decided to be magnanimous enough to play something from many IE fan's favorite album even if he has some wierd sort of aversion to it. There are a couple songs on that album that aren't just boring, they are terrible but most of the album is really fantastic.

maidenpriest
09-27-2010, 11:37 PM
well i saw an interview on Metal-rules.com where Jon said that he doesn't like playing a whole lot off the album because its the lowest selling record or some bull...idk. but yeah Burnt Offerings imo is definitely one of the most underrated IE cds

darkguardian50
09-28-2010, 12:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/ricky4502#p/a/u/0/l436ljDdD-E

Damn!
Matt really killed it. I've never seen them do Stygian live, hope I get to eventually. Never seen them do Question of Heaven live either..

ricky4502
09-28-2010, 10:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/ricky4502#p/a/u/0/l436ljDdD-E

Damn!
Matt really killed it. I've never seen them do Stygian live, hope I get to eventually. Never seen them do Question of Heaven live either..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGb0Zqm5a4

darkguardian50
09-29-2010, 07:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPGb0Zqm5a4

:party:

Looks like you skipped Colors on your upload. As good as Matt does with Iced Earth (the song) I gotta say Ripper I think does it a just a bit better.

Grayfox
09-29-2010, 09:10 AM
^ Nonsense.

As the guy behind me at the Hollywood show screamed:

"I know one thing! Ripper fucking sucks!!"

:D

ricky4502
09-29-2010, 01:20 PM
:party:

Looks like you skipped Colors on your upload. As good as Matt does with Iced Earth (the song) I gotta say Ripper I think does it a just a bit better.

Nope, I recorded it and when I stopped it my cam said "memory card error" so i took it out and put it back in several times, same shit. When I got home the fucking card started falling apart. Luckilly Colors was the the only song on that card.

darkguardian50
09-29-2010, 04:06 PM
Damn that sucks, that was one of the ones I really wanted to hear. Ah well, thanks for bootlegging this. It may be awhile before I get to see them again and last time I don't feel was a fair way to judge Matt's live performances because he was sick as a dog that show and sounded terrible.

Ripper is awesome, this whole shitkicking match with IE fans over which was better is stupid in my opinion. Both are great (and obviously very different) singers.

Sanitarium78
09-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Ripper is awesome, this whole shitkicking match with IE fans over which was better is stupid in my opinion. Both are great (and obviously very different) singers.

That's always gonna happen when a band switches a major member, especially a singer. The man who is seen as the voice of the band. I like Barlow better but Ripper did a great job in IE. Since Schaffer writes all the stuff the material will never suffer due to line up changes and he can get any capable singer, as he proved on NOTSR to sing the stuff. As long as the material is great and the singer can pull it off it's not that big of an issue for me.

Grayfox
09-30-2010, 12:45 AM
I agree with you, but the problem for me was that Ripper couldn't exactly pull it off, at least not the old stuff. What he did on The Glorious Burden and Framing Armageddon was good, but when I saw IE in 2004, hearing Ripper sing songs like Burning Times, Dracula and Violate did absolutely nothing for me, especially Dracula. There's a lot of emotion in Matt's voice during the intro for Dracula and in my opinion, emotion is what Ripper lacks the most. He sounds like some crazy falsetto robot. The guy can scream like hell, which is great, but him singing the lower register stuff in IE wasn't very good. It just didn't suit him.

I don't really participate in the Barlow/Ripper wars to be honest. The last post was just me disagreeing that Ripper sings 'Iced Earth' better than Matt. I mean, I greatly prefer Barlow, but I still listened to IE when Ripper was in the fold. However, the conclusion that I have come to is that the Ripper fanboys are much worse than the Barlow fanboys. Check out the comments in any IE-related post on Blabbermouth and you'll see what I mean. There are such great gems as "Iced Earth isn't shit without Ripper!!" It's great stuff. Thought provoking even. Riveting.

DethMaiden
11-22-2010, 08:24 AM
Necromanced thread, sorry.

Those bootlegs are godly. I wish I could have seen this tour. :(

darkguardian50
11-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Interestingly enough I was listening to the Ripper sung "Burning Times" that is going to be on their upcoming DVD and I almost thing he does it better than Matt. Which is rare for me. I think generally I prefered Matt on all of his era stuff and all the early stuff except for Iced Earth, Path I Choose and Angel's Holocaust.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
11-22-2010, 07:55 PM
I'd like to hear Ripper sing Wolf. One of my favorite IE songs.

darkguardian50
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
I'd like to hear Ripper sing Wolf. One of my favorite IE songs.

He would massacre it. Even Matt had a tough time with that one live. The lower register stuff and the numerous register changes would be really tough for him. Ripper has a nice tenor and a really good upper register but he sounded pretty bad anytime he tried to sing stuff around Matt's most comfortable register. Hence why quite a bit of Matt's stuff sounded really bad coming from him. Ever here him try and sing Jack? Horrific.