PDA

View Full Version : DIO monument to be built in Kavarna, Bulgaria

ravenheart
09-26-2010, 11:57 AM
The decision to erect this monument was taken by the municipal administration, with the most active proponents being Kavarna Mayor Tsonko Tsonkov as well as leading journalists, musicians and singers. The monument is to be built in the town park and will mark the creation of the so-called Walk Of Rock. The model of the monument is ready and was displayed during the three-day Kavarna Rock Fest. In the past few years, Dio came to Bulgaria five times to give concerts and took an active part in the campaign for liberating the Bulgarian nurses held in prison in Libya for eight years.

The artists behind the project are sculptors Alexander Petrov and Krasimir Krastev - Lomsky, while the painting is being handled by Ivan Stratiev.

http://www.bravewords.com/static/medias/images/news/147172.jpg

Check out the freakishly long arms and big hands :lol:

Sanitarium78
09-26-2010, 02:36 PM
That statue looks awesome. I want one to put in my yard:lol:

ravenheart
09-26-2010, 04:20 PM
You'll have to make do with this:

http://www.knucklebonz.com/images/artist_all/ronnie_james_dio/dio_3.pnghttp://www.knucklebonz.com/images/artist_all/ronnie_james_dio/dio_4.png

Due late 2010 and yours for the princely sum of $115 plus shipping.

Easily one of their worst yet, I'd say.

Sanitarium78
09-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah that Rock Iconz figure is a bit off in the face. In fact it doesn't even really look like him. The pose and the clothes they put on are fine but that face is just blah.

Also, $115 bucks for that? Are they serious? It should at least come to life and sing a few Dio tunes at that price.

ravenheart
09-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Not sure why they put the price up. The older ones, most of which are better, were $99.

Travis The Dragon
09-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I can see it a little bit in the face, but it still could be much better

I'd like to see the older ones that you refer to, Ravenheart.

makethemsuffer12
09-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Not sure why they put the price up. The older ones, most of which are better, were $99.

Don't you think it's pretty obvious? His death was fairly recent, so they're gonna try and suck as much cash as they can from it. The company's mentality probably is that people will be willing to pay the extra 15 bucks as the statue a tribute to someone who passed recently.

ravenheart
09-26-2010, 06:15 PM
Don't you think it's pretty obvious? His death was fairly recent, so they're gonna try and suck as much cash as they can from it. The company's mentality probably is that people will be willing to pay the extra 15 bucks as the statue a tribute to someone who passed recently.

I don't think that's it. They've increased the price of all of them to $115. Not just this one. My guess would be it's to make up the short-fall on the really shitty ones that aren't selling.

Derelict
09-26-2010, 06:16 PM
Oh cool, i'll see this next time i'm in bulgaria

ravenheart
09-26-2010, 06:19 PM
Oh cool, i'll see this next time i'm in bulgaria

Coz everything should be in your back yard, right? ;)

Derelict
09-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Coz everything should be in your back yard, right? ;)

Joke buddy - just seems random to build a statue there to someone who had no connection to bulgaria, much like the zappa statue in lithuania

Travis The Dragon
09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Ya, that'd be like China building a statue for Bruce Dickinson.

TonyD
09-26-2010, 07:59 PM
Ya, that'd be like China building a statue for Bruce Dickinson.

Yeah what does Dio have to do with Bulgaria?
I guess it's cool regardless. Those rock icon figures are kinda cool, but not worth close to $100 imo. More like 20-30 bucks.

Travis The Dragon
09-26-2010, 08:14 PM
Hell, I have an 18" Somewhere In Time Eddie doll that I paid less than $50 for.

Maiden33
09-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Yeah, for like $30 I'd gladly own a small statue/figure of Dio for shelf display. But $115 is absurd.

ravenheart
09-27-2010, 03:24 AM
Joke buddy - just seems random to build a statue there to someone who had no connection to bulgaria, much like the zappa statue in lithuania

So was mine. Hence: ;)

ravenheart
09-27-2010, 03:26 AM
Yeah what does Dio have to do with Bulgaria?
I guess it's cool regardless.

It's because he was one of the most frequent visitors to Bulgaria in the last few years. It's a country that doesn't get a lot of metal and he was one of the few who toured there.

More importantly for them, he also took part in the campaign to get Bulgarian nurses imprisoned in Afghanistan freed.

It's in that town specifically because that's where the Kavarna Rock Festival is (it's all in the name ;)), which is the country's biggest. I think their mayor is a metal fan too.

Sanitarium78
09-27-2010, 09:38 AM
It's because he was one of the most frequent visitors to Bulgaria in the last few years. It's a country that doesn't get a lot of metal and he was one of the few who toured there.

More importantly for them, he also took part in the campaign to get Bulgarian nurses imprisoned in Afghanistan freed.

It's in that town specifically because that's where the Kavarna Rock Festival is (it's all in the name ;)), which is the country's biggest. I think their mayor is a metal fan too.

Thanks, I was just about to post the explination myself as to why the statue was being put there.

As if all his great music wasn't enough, all these causes Dio was involved with just further his legend and how great of a person he was.:bowdown:

Derelict
09-27-2010, 09:43 AM

Didn't know all that stuff, thats pretty cool

rjmartinez91
09-30-2010, 03:02 PM
I need to visit there. The statue looks epic. :light:

Div
09-30-2010, 04:21 PM
lets be honest, it was only a matter of time before this was built.

Sanitarium78
09-30-2010, 05:06 PM
lets be honest, it was only a matter of time before this was built.

Yeah, Bulgaria just beat me to it, that's all:lol: