PDA

View Full Version : Halford - Made of Metal

ravenheart
09-24-2010, 04:22 AM
http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/halford-made-of-metal/

Not what I was hoping for, but there are some good things here.

jhdeity
09-24-2010, 08:23 AM
I think The Mower had my expectations too high. I've only heard 1 other song, the title track and to say the lyrics are cliche' would be a dramatic understatement. You can literally guess the next line every time he sings a line. Plus it's like reading a Silver Surfer comic while listening to Turbo.

Even with all that I hate to say it but it's kinda catchy. I don't like it but as much as I wanted to hate it for everything it is, you almost find yourself singing along at the end.

I'm hoping there are a few more gems like The Mower or at least nothing else that reminds me of Turbo.

ravenheart
09-24-2010, 05:24 PM
I think The Mower had my expectations too high. I've only heard 1 other song, the title track and to say the lyrics are cliche' would be a dramatic understatement. You can literally guess the next line every time he sings a line. Plus it's like reading a Silver Surfer comic while listening to Turbo.

Even with all that I hate to say it but it's kinda catchy. I don't like it but as much as I wanted to hate it for everything it is, you almost find yourself singing along at the end.

I'm hoping there are a few more gems like The Mower or at least nothing else that reminds me of Turbo.

Yeah, don't get your hopes up. As I said, 'The Mower' is the only screaming metal track on the whole record.

And yeah, the title track is catchy, but not in a good way. I don't find myself wanting to sing at all because as he's singing the lines all I can think is "you sound like a fucking idiot, Rob".

'Till The Day I Die' is easily the best track on there.

MPF
09-24-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, don't get your hopes up. As I said, 'The Mower' is the only screaming metal track on the whole record.

And yeah, the title track is catchy, but not in a good way. I don't find myself wanting to sing at all because as he's singing the lines all I can think is "you sound like a fucking idiot, Rob".

'Till The Day I Die' is easily the best track on there.

So would it be safe to say that The Mower is like Nostradamus, the only heavy track on the album?

I want to get this but I don't want Halford to make another Nostradamus.

ravenheart
09-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Erm, it's not the only heavy track, but it's the only real metal track. Nothing on it is anywhere near as heavy as Crucible or Resurrection. But it's nothing like Nostradamus either - the other tracks actually have guitars in them! ;)

Like I said above, it's more of a rock record than a metal record. The ballad is the second best track...

MPF
09-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Erm, it's not the only heavy track, but it's the only real metal track. Nothing on it is anywhere near as heavy as Crucible or Resurrection. But it's nothing like Nostradamus either - the other tracks actually have guitars in them! ;)

Like I said above, it's more of a rock record than a metal record. The ballad is the second best track...

I'll probably have to pick it up. Halford has only done wrong once *Nostradamus* so I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.

jhdeity
09-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I'll probably have to pick it up. Halford has only done wrong once *Nostradamus* so I gotta give him the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, I'll get it too. Glad my expectations have been lowered though. I really like The Mower and was thinking how great a full album of Halford music like that would be.

ravenheart
09-25-2010, 04:22 PM

Winter Songs is a much bigger "wrong" than Nostradamus.

DethMaiden
09-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Nostradamus is awesome. I don't expect this to be.

But then, I hated The Mower, so if most of this album is radically different, I might love it.

Maiden33
09-25-2010, 10:38 PM
But then, I hated The Mower, so if most of this album is radically different, I might love it.

+1

MPF
09-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Winter Songs is a much bigger "wrong" than Nostradamus.

I actually haven't heard Winter Songs yet, so I can't comment. I actually forgot that album existed. But I actually wouldn't doubt it.

Dissimulate
09-29-2010, 06:13 PM
It's definitely a lot more different than his other albums. I'd say it sounds more like an 80's Priest album than anything. Mostly consisting of rockish metal songs, with a few odd things like a bluesy song and a ballad thrown in. The only full on metal song (like Halford's other solo material) is The Mower. I didn't like it much on the first listen, but I may warm to it eventually.

IrritatedTrout
10-03-2010, 09:34 AM
I got this on Friday and it's just terrible. No memorable riffs, songs that seem to go nowhere, few impressive vocal moments, and godawful lyrics. There are a few decent songs like The Mower, Till The Day I Die, and Undisputed. Overall, I'd give this about a 5. I'm kind of enjoying it because I haven't got any new music in a while but I can see myself completely forgetting about this album for the rest of my life in a week or two.

Indestructible
10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
I only heard a few songs and it is nothing great.The songs seems to be lacking high pitched vocals and really heavy riffs I like to hear on a Halford solo album. I understand if he can't do high pitched vocals anymore,but the album doesn't need to suffer from that.

idrinkwine732
10-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I only heard a few songs and it is nothing great.The songs seems to be lacking high pitched vocals and really heavy riffs I like to hear on a Halford solo album. I understand if he can't do high pitched vocals anymore,but the album doesn't need to suffer from that.

He pulled them off in excellent manner at Ozzfest.

maidenpriest
10-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Definitely not a matter of him unable to hit high notes, he still hits them pretty damn good.

Indestructible
10-15-2010, 03:56 AM
I wish more songs sounded like The Mower. The Mower has the sound that I want to hear on a Halford album.

Maiden33
10-15-2010, 06:08 AM
I wish more songs sounded like The Mower. The Mower has the sound that I want to hear on a Halford album.

The problem is the Mower kinda sucks. Sure, it's got much more of the style of the first 2 Halford records, but it's not very good.

Indestructible
10-15-2010, 06:27 AM
The problem is the Mower kinda sucks. Sure, it's got much more of the style of the first 2 Halford records, but it's not very good.

That's the style I want. The Mower was the first song I hear from the album. It gave me high hopes I thought the rest would be good.

SomewhereInTime72
10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I prefer just about every other song on this to The Mower.

ravenheart
10-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I got this on Friday and it's just terrible. No memorable riffs, songs that seem to go nowhere, few impressive vocal moments, and godawful lyrics. There are a few decent songs like The Mower, Till The Day I Die, and Undisputed. Overall, I'd give this about a 5. I'm kind of enjoying it because I haven't got any new music in a while but I can see myself completely forgetting about this album for the rest of my life in a week or two.

Undisputed is one of the worst sets of lyrics on the disc! Haha.

Till The Day I Die is probably the only track on it I really think is great.

ravenheart
10-15-2010, 12:00 PM

And yet it's still better than most of the other songs on this album. Sad, huh?