PDA

View Full Version : What got you into "harsh" vocals?

Derelict
09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
This is coming from another thread

I'm a little older than a lot of the posters here, so my two are:

Sepultura - "Arise"
Death - "Symbolic"

illuminatus917
09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Melodeath.

larvtard
09-21-2010, 07:29 PM
I've always liked them :D

I'm just that awesome. :allan:

DethMaiden
09-21-2010, 07:30 PM
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Mastodon - Leviathan

I got into metal via Maiden, Megadeth, Sabbath, Metallica, Priest, Slayer, Queensryche, and...Blind Guardian actually in 2003, and by the summer of 2004 I got into Slaughter of the Soul, it became one of my favorite albums of all time at that point, then when Leviathan came out I picked it up right away because of all the positive buzz in zines and online and fucking loved it, still one of my top ten albums of all time.

Derelict
09-21-2010, 07:31 PM
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

don't give a shit what anyone says, this is one of the most perfect albums ever recorded. Seeing most of it live was boner inducing.

DethMaiden
09-21-2010, 07:32 PM
don't give a shit what anyone says, this is one of the most perfect albums ever recorded. Seeing most of it live was boner inducing.

Oh, it's still among my favorite death metal records to this day. It's probably one of the most important albums I've ever heard since it got me into harsh vox, which are on 75% of the shit I listen to nowadays.

Maiden33
09-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Even though I still am not an overall fan of them, there was a time when I would like refuse to listen to anything with them in it. I think the band that finally broke me on accepting growls was Dungeon, via "The Art of War" - generally a thrash song with more aggressive vocals overall, but some really cool growl/clean trade-offs. Mercenary was certainly the band that showed me that it can be used to a decent extent and have me still really like the stuff overall - see: "Lost Reality"

Derelict
Oh, it's still among my favorite death metal records to this day. It's probably one of the most important albums I've ever heard since it got me into harsh vox, which are on 75% of the shit I listen to nowadays.

Prob my most important too, alongside Symbolic. I listen to it now like its a brand new release, and its fifteen fucking years old. Still a relevant album, too.

ChildrenofSodom
Soundtrack to Your Escape. Laugh it up, guys.

idrinkwine732
09-21-2010, 07:36 PM
Early Gojira, Sodom, and At the Gates.

Indestructible
09-21-2010, 07:37 PM

I wont laugh. One of my favorite In Flames album. Reroute to Remain got me into harsh vocals(the very little harsh vocals that i like). It was the first album I heard where I like the screaming.

SomewhereInTime72
09-21-2010, 07:37 PM

YESSSSSSS I was about to post Clayman but someone else was less tr00 than me. :tongue:

treghet
09-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Fear Factory was my gateway. Then my friend introduced me to black metal. :D

JRA
09-21-2010, 08:00 PM
Paul Balloff

smearCampaign
09-21-2010, 09:08 PM
For me personally it was Deftones Adrenaline. Chino does some really interesting vocal stuff that made me begin to look at the vocals as another instrument and not just the words to the song. I couldn't always understand the lyrics during his screaming or even regular singing on that album, but the emotion conveyed brought something else to the songs. That album got me into the heavier side of music in general. Prior to that the 'heaviest' I got was Metallica and Tool, but once I could get into the heavy growls and screams and whatnot the door was open for Sepultura, At the Gates, Napalm Death and the like to show me another side of music.

mankvill
09-21-2010, 10:00 PM
The very first metal band I heard was Anorexia Nervosa (symphonic black metal) and the first batch of metal songs I got from a friend were all black metal/grindcore.

;)

elturtleboy
09-21-2010, 10:33 PM
Defiantly Sepultura,which was my gateway to Death Metal.

powerslave_85
09-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Opeth, Children of Bodom, and Arch Enemy.

Fires Of Sedition
09-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Slipknot back when I was about 12

rjturtle9
09-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Slipknot back when I was about 12

Same here. But I was like 14.

MPF
09-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Opeth- Deliverance

7 years ago, so I was 15.

maidenpriest
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
i used to refuse listening to harsh vocals for like 3 years (discovered Maiden back in 05 and evolved from there) but it was The Drapey Falls by Opeth and Jotun by In Flames that got me into them. still not my preferred vocal style but i can definitely deal.

ravenheart
09-22-2010, 01:18 AM
I still only like a select few "harsh" vocalists. But I couldn't say what the defining quality is. It has to be ones I can understand, for sure, so most death metal is OUT. Haha. And most of the really extreme shit some of you clowns listen to ;)

Probably the first harsh vocals I got into were Pantera, I guess. Unless you count bands like Motorhead and Slayer.

If we're talking proper growlers, then that's harder to pin down... It was probably an Opeth album, but after Damnation I don't remember which one I got first...

xStructualDefect
09-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Children of Bodom for sure back in like '05 or '06. to be honest though i've noticed lately i'm becoming bored and tired of harsh vocals. after awhile a lot of harsh vocalists in a certain genre all start to sound the same. most metalcore, melodeath, black metal, death metal singers sound the same within their genre after awhile. for example many melodeath bands all have At The Gates style of vocals.

ravenheart
09-22-2010, 03:15 AM
i used to refuse listening to harsh vocals for like 3 years (discovered Maiden back in 05 and evolved from there) but it was The Drapey Falls by Opeth and Jotun by In Flames that got me into them. still not my preferred vocal style but i can definitely deal.

:lol: Just noticed the sad face next to your location.

mastodon421
09-22-2010, 03:31 AM
The Black Dahlia Murder-Miasma 5 years ago.

El Gordo
09-22-2010, 04:08 AM
Probably the first Down album really. But it probably also had something to do with the fact that while I was getting heavily into thrash in high school, my best friend (and drummer in my band at the time) was getting heavily into death metal and our tastes inadvertently affected the other's. Naturally we both started getting into bands like Sepultura & Death around the same time.

Div
09-22-2010, 07:53 AM
I was chilling in a hotel room one night with a bottle of wine and I put Heartattack & Vine on...

MetalIsArt
09-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Sepultura: Arise
Opeth: Blackwater Park
Dimmu Borgir: Death Cult Armaggedon
Ancient Rites: Dim Carcosa
Death: The Sound Of Perseverance
Cannibal Corpse: Vile
Children Of Bodom: Follow The Reaper

makethemsuffer12
09-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Bullet For My Valentine and Slipknot were probably the ones that got me into screamed vocals. Then I heard "Make Them Suffer," and the rest is history.

evildeadjedi
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Sepultura - "Arise"
Death - "Symbolic"

Me too :lol:

maidenpriest
09-22-2010, 11:58 AM
:lol: Just noticed the sad face next to your location.

Yeah...it sucks here. lol

Crionics
09-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Children of Bodom, then Death, and now I can tolerate all (or almost all) death growls.

Always liked BM screaming, from day one with Mayhem (Deathcrush).

The_jman
09-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Avenged Sevenfold Waking the Fallen
All that remains -- the fall of ideals
Five finger death punch (shut up)
bands like that then found soilwork which brought me into meladeath which is still my favorite genre with harsh vocals.
I'm still rather picky about my harsh vocals, and have to take them on a singer by singer basis, and very rarely like a harsh vocalist right from the start.
I prefer extreme vocals when mixed with clean vocals
i.e. soilwork, amorphis, opeth
I particularly admire vocalists that can both growl well and sing cleanly too.
that's why I love Opeth and Amorphis's singers for that reason. I highly respect both for their vocal virsatility.

NecroRob
09-23-2010, 02:44 AM
The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal

I got a bunch of songs from a friend of mine and that was on there. I listened to it out of curiosity and it gave me a headache...but I kept going back to it and eventually got hooked. That really wasn't very long ago either, as I've only been into extreme music for a little over a year.

daimonos
09-23-2010, 01:16 PM
The album that really did it for me:

Sanctity - Road to Bloodshed

also
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Amon Amarth - The Fate of Norns

ShatteredFlame
09-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Opeth - Still Life

funny thing, I loved this album but hated Damnation even though I hated any kind of harsh vocals at the time.

But way before that there was Haste the Day - Everything Falls (I think that was the song, never was a fan of anything else by them) where the vocals were like screeching throughout but then during the chorus clean vocals were used.

Fires Of Sedition
09-23-2010, 05:59 PM
The album that really did it for me:

Sanctity - Road to Bloodshed

also
Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Amon Amarth - The Fate of Norns

:lovedup:

daimonos
09-23-2010, 06:36 PM
:lovedup:

Didn't think anyone knew about Sanctity much anymore. It's a shame how they were starting to get attention and Roadrunner threw them out on their asses.

maidenpriest
09-23-2010, 06:38 PM
if i remember correctly i saw them open for Symphony X back in 2007...not positive though. was definitely an interesting bill but they werent bad.

Fires Of Sedition
09-24-2010, 05:40 AM
Didn't think anyone knew about Sanctity much anymore. It's a shame how they were starting to get attention and Roadrunner threw them out on their asses.

I saw them on Gigantour 2006 and just recently bought Road To Bloodshed. They are talented and catchy as tits. I heard their lead guitarist/vocalist quit :(. Hopefully they get signed to a new, better label and get someone to replace him.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-24-2010, 07:47 AM
Well I liked sepultura back in the day but I never considered Max's vocals to be all that "harsh". Carcass was the band that got me listening to Melodic Death metal with Swansong. Never really cared for real Death metal but the music of Melodic DM is what made the vocals tolerable.

daimonos
09-24-2010, 12:39 PM
I saw them on Gigantour 2006 and just recently bought Road To Bloodshed. They are talented and catchy as tits. I heard their lead guitarist/vocalist quit :(. Hopefully they get signed to a new, better label and get someone to replace him.

After their singer left Roadrunner dropped them, and they basically went back to being a local band, then I think the bassist left and they couldn't find replacements and I think the members are all working on different stuff now. I think the days of Sanctity are over :(

makethemsuffer12
09-24-2010, 01:15 PM
After their singer left Roadrunner dropped them, and they basically went back to being a local band, then I think the bassist left and they couldn't find replacements and I think the members are all working on different stuff now. I think the days of Sanctity are over :(

Sanctity have been over. Fortunately I was able to see them open for Machine Head in '07. Such a shame, Road to Bloodshed really was a solid album and they probably would've gotten better from there.