PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2010-11 Season

El Gordo
09-14-2010, 04:18 PM
As hockey season is quickly approaching, anybody have any thoughts on what we'll see this year?

I don't think my beloved Blackhawks will repeat this year, but they'll be among the best in the West again. The Leafs will suck only slightly less than last year. My pick for the Cup is Boston -- would be nice to see another Original 6 team take it.

Dissimulate
09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
The fucking Oilers are going to end up last in the league again.

TonyD
09-14-2010, 07:20 PM
So how does a team win a championship and dump all but 1 of it's star players?
Oh well, Sharks ended up with their goalie.

DethMaiden
09-14-2010, 07:23 PM
A bit early, no? Anyway, I'm hoping the Jackets bounce back and make the playoffs like they did year before last. Not holding out much hope to win a series, but I think we did improve in the offseason at least.

mankvill
09-14-2010, 07:24 PM
If KC had a NHL team, I'd go to so many games. I loved going to our IHL team's games.

TonyD
09-14-2010, 07:25 PM
A bit early, no?

Less than a month, breh

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-14-2010, 08:15 PM
Go Stars!

es156
09-14-2010, 08:18 PM
A bit early, no? Anyway, I'm hoping the Jackets bounce back and make the playoffs like they did year before last. Not holding out much hope to win a series, but I think we did improve in the offseason at least.

It was reported that season ticket sales are down 24.5% in Columbus.

DethMaiden
09-14-2010, 08:49 PM
It was reported that season ticket sales are down 24.5% in Columbus.

That's partly because starting a hockey team in Columbus in 2000 when most people were Red Wings fans was stupid, but also because the economy is bad and the Jackets missed the playoffs (badly) last year. I'll still try to make it out to a game or two over Christmas. Rick Nash won't stick around much longer if he doesn't think a Cup is in his future.

Maiden33
09-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I'm hoping the Flyers build on the strengths of last year and have a great season. As usual I'm incredibly skeptical about a number of things - but mostly still upset that they got rid of essentially my favorite player still with the team. :bouville:

maidenpriest
09-14-2010, 09:16 PM
im hoping the Coyotes can build off the success they had last year so maybe we can get past the first round >.<

El Gordo
09-15-2010, 02:27 AM
So how does a team win a championship and dump all but 1 of it's star players?
Oh well, Sharks ended up with their goalie.

All but 1?! Last time I checked, the Hawks still have Toews, Kane, Keith, Sharp, Hossa, Bolland, Seabrook, etc.

Derelict
09-15-2010, 04:53 AM
I'm hoping the Flyers build on the strengths of last year and have a great season. As usual I'm incredibly skeptical about a number of things - but mostly still upset that they got rid of essentially my favorite player still with the team. :bouville:

I'm not quite sure what the flyers were trying to do this offseason - it looked like they were trying to upgrade at goalie, then when that didn't pan out, they tried to upgrade the D as much as possible. I know Gagne was overpaid, but losing him still hurts the team. Curious offseason for a team that made it to game 6 of the finals, thats for sure.

Maiden33
09-15-2010, 08:26 AM
I'm not quite sure what the flyers were trying to do this offseason - it looked like they were trying to upgrade at goalie, then when that didn't pan out, they tried to upgrade the D as much as possible. I know Gagne was overpaid, but losing him still hurts the team. Curious offseason for a team that made it to game 6 of the finals, thats for sure.

I don't really think Gagne was overpaid - he wasn't making nearly as much as Scott Hartnell, who from time to time does absolutely nothing but take penalties.

El Gordo
09-15-2010, 01:58 PM

I don't think the Flyers did too badly this off-season. Gagne missed considerable time again and the improvement of youngsters like Giroux and Van Riemsdyk (and MAYBE Zherdev... lol) should be able to more than make up for his 17 goals from last year. Goaltending is the big question mark and I'm really surprised they didn't even make a pitch at Niemi. At any rate I think they'll be starting the playoffs on home ice, as much as I hate them. ;)

Derelict
09-15-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't think the Flyers did too badly this off-season. Gagne missed considerable time again and the improvement of youngsters like Giroux and Van Riemsdyk (and MAYBE Zherdev... lol) should be able to more than make up for his 17 goals from last year. Goaltending is the big question mark and I'm really surprised they didn't even make a pitch at Niemi. At any rate I think they'll be starting the playoffs on home ice, as much as I hate them. ;)

Well, they had 6 games to see Niemi close up, I think that's why they didn't want him (yes, I know Leighton blew in the finals, but Niemi didn't impress me too much either, outside of game 2). I think they made a pitch at Nabakov, it wasn't happening, so they tried to upgrade the D in front of Leighton. I just hope guys like Hartnell, Giroux, and Leino are able to keep the momentum they had in the playoffs.

Maiden33
09-15-2010, 03:53 PM
I just hope guys like Hartnell, Giroux, and Leino are able to keep the momentum they had in the playoffs.

This is probably my biggest concern. I think I'm more concerned for Hartnell than anyone though.

Derelict
09-15-2010, 04:02 PM
This is probably my biggest concern. I think I'm more concerned for Hartnell than anyone though.

Same here - he seems lazy as shit. The other two i think are up and coming young players that just need the ice time

Maiden33
09-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Same here - he seems lazy as shit. The other two i think are up and coming young players that just need the ice time

Exactly. It seems like he just doesn't give a shit enough to actually play his best when the games aren't very important.

El Gordo
09-16-2010, 02:30 AM
Well, they had 6 games to see Niemi close up, I think that's why they didn't want him (yes, I know Leighton blew in the finals, but Niemi didn't impress me too much either, outside of game 2). I think they made a pitch at Nabakov, it wasn't happening, so they tried to upgrade the D in front of Leighton. I just hope guys like Hartnell, Giroux, and Leino are able to keep the momentum they had in the playoffs.

I agree that Niemi didn't set the world on fire with his play, but he's got a ring and he's better than what the Flyers have now. Considering he was eventually signed for $2 mil, I don't see how they wouldn't want the upgrade.

JLRedWing13
09-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Looking forward to a better regular season for the Winged Wheel this year. Basically the same team as last year with a couple differences (Mike Modano was added at forward, Ruslan Salei on defense), but I expect the Central Division to be much more tightly contested this year. The Blackhawks are the team to beat, but they've taken a step back this offseason.

El Gordo
09-16-2010, 04:44 PM
Looking forward to a better regular season for the Winged Wheel this year. Basically the same team as last year with a couple differences (Mike Modano was added at forward, Ruslan Salei on defense), but I expect the Central Division to be much more tightly contested this year. The Blackhawks are the team to beat, but they've taken a step back this offseason.

I actually like the Wings to take the Central this year, with Hudler returning and the hits to the Hawks roster... so long as Howard doesn't shit the bed.

JLRedWing13
09-17-2010, 10:06 AM
I actually like the Wings to take the Central this year, with Hudler returning and the hits to the Hawks roster... so long as Howard doesn't shit the bed.
I'm not that high on Hudler, he was good in our Cup run in 2008 but then disappeared in 2009 after the Ducks series. Regardless, it is an upgrade because we did struggle to find consistency in our third and fourth lines, and he is a good player on those lines, at the very least.

I think Jimmy Howard will be fine after being thrown into the fire last year. I do expect Ozzie to get more games, however, to spell him.

Overall I think it will be very close between the Hawks and Wings in the Central this year. Personally, I'd rather not have to steal home-ice advantage in the playoffs, especially when it comes to the Sharks or Hawks.

El Gordo
09-18-2010, 03:07 AM
I'm not that high on Hudler, he was good in our Cup run in 2008 but then disappeared in 2009 after the Ducks series. Regardless, it is an upgrade because we did struggle to find consistency in our third and fourth lines, and he is a good player on those lines, at the very least.

I think Jimmy Howard will be fine after being thrown into the fire last year. I do expect Ozzie to get more games, however, to spell him.

Overall I think it will be very close between the Hawks and Wings in the Central this year. Personally, I'd rather not have to steal home-ice advantage in the playoffs, especially when it comes to the Sharks or Hawks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Hudler is the second coming of Stevie Y or anything but the Wings were hit pretty hard with injuries last year if I remember correctly. With Hudler and Modano, they're that much deeper at forward which should help them stay afloat should the injury bug hit again.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the Wings will take the Central with the Hawks a very close second. Doesn't matter though, one of them is going to destroy Vancouver in the second round and meet in the Conference Finals where Chicago will get some revenge for two years ago. :D

PlaysWithKnives
09-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Nice to have some hockey talk here. I have a feeling were going to get another Red Wings and Pens final. The Wings were held back a bit last year from injuries. I can see them getting there again. Of course the Hawks will give them a challenege. I think the Kings and Coyotes will be very good too. Id say the Sharks but they'll just barf themselves in the playoffs like always.
As for the Pens, they already had a good team, obviously, and made a couple decent moves so I think they'll make it back. Philly and Jersey will be good. So will the Caps. And believe or not people should watch out for the Leafs. Along with their fans, they will piss some teams off this year.
As for my beloved Sabres, they made little cheap moves like they always do. There are some good young players coming up, but they still got baggage that will hold them back from going farther. They'll compete for the division because the northeast is wide open. But they won't go much farther until they make a bigger move or two, to get them back where they were a few years ago. Jeez, hockey really gets me started :D Ill stop for now or ill be typing forever. In closing, may the Bruins and Sens burn in hell

JLRedWing13
09-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't think Hudler is the second coming of Stevie Y or anything but the Wings were hit pretty hard with injuries last year if I remember correctly. With Hudler and Modano, they're that much deeper at forward which should help them stay afloat should the injury bug hit again.

As much as I hate to say it, I think the Wings will take the Central with the Hawks a very close second. Doesn't matter though, one of them is going to destroy Vancouver in the second round and meet in the Conference Finals where Chicago will get some revenge for two years ago. :D
The injury situation was by far the worst I have ever seen a single team experience. If Dave Tippett didn't do so well in Phoenix, Mike Babcock should have gotten the Jack Adams as coach of the year. He was outstanding. I'm still very confident in our nucleus and expect to do some damage in the playoffs again. A Wings-Hawks conference final would be fun, always is. :rocker:

powerslave_85
10-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Regular season hockey starts today, bitches!! WHO'S STOKED?! :rocker: :rocker:

Oh yeah: LET'S GO CAPS!!!!!

DethMaiden
10-07-2010, 09:32 AM
http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Columbus+Blue+Jackets+v+Los+Angeles+Kings+JG5vxk4a cqZl.jpg

But seriously, we might be the worst team in the NHL. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

Derelict
10-07-2010, 09:33 AM
i think someone started this thread already, fonz

DethMaiden
10-07-2010, 09:34 AM

It would be easier to find WITH A SPORTS AND FITNESS SUBFORUM!

es156
10-07-2010, 09:46 AM
It would be easier to find WITH A SPORTS AND FITNESS SUBFORUM!

I don't have access to create subforums, but I will ask HTE about creating one.

powerslave_85
10-07-2010, 10:04 AM
You're right. My apologies! Mods, you can close this one.

mankvill
10-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Hockey is my favorite sport to attend and one of my favorites to watch. ;_; Hopefully I see a lot of games this season.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
10-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Go Stars!!!

Maiden33
10-07-2010, 01:53 PM
Really excited, as usual, the summer wait has been excruciating - but maybe I shouldn't bitch because my team made it all the way to the finals, so hockey lasted until early June for me. Flyers play Pittsburgh tonight for the first-ever game at their new arena. If we beat them once this season (which is enough to ask for), let it be this one.

JLRedWing13
10-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Looking forward to coming home tomorrow night and watching the Wings kick off their season against the Ducks.

I believe we can go deep in the playoffs again. I'm excited.

Maiden33
10-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Very happy. Flyers win first game, which was also Pittsburgh's inaugural game at their new arena. Also, rookie goalie Bobrovsky looks fantastic. So early yet to call, but we might have something here.

powerslave_85
10-07-2010, 07:44 PM
So stoked that you guys broke in the new area in style tonight ;)

I'm preparing to Rock The Red tomorrow :metal:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/powerslave_85/backstromjersey.jpg

Derelict
10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Lmfao @ penguins

El Gordo
10-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Boo, the Hawks lost their first game in OT. Yay loser point! :tp:

JLRedWing13
10-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Wings win and Howard gets the shutout. Nice start to the season.

mankvill
10-08-2010, 07:19 PM
so bow bout dat goalie dying

JLRedWing13
10-08-2010, 10:53 PM
so bow bout dat goalie dying
He was in stable condition in the hospital last I heard.

ravenheart
10-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I saw Columbus beat San Jose 3-2 last night in Stockholm. Great first and third periods, both teams went completely to sleep in the second.

Unfortunate result. San Jose battered them throughout the entire third period at 2-2 but Columbus were rescued every time by Steve Mason in goal. Blue Jackets won in over time.

Now, the main point... and possibly one for DethMaiden to answer... why the fuck is the Blue Jackets mascot a kind of wasp/fly mutant thing?

DethMaiden
10-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I saw Columbus beat San Jose 3-2 last night in Stockholm. Great first and third periods, both teams went completely to sleep in the second.

Unfortunate result. San Jose battered them throughout the entire third period at 2-2 but Columbus were rescued every time by Steve Mason in goal. Blue Jackets won in over time.

Now, the main point... and possibly one for DethMaiden to answer... why the fuck is the Blue Jackets mascot a kind of wasp/fly mutant thing?

Blue jacket=blue version of a yellow jacket. Pretty simple. :confused:

Glad you saw the game with the good outcome. ;)

JLRedWing13
10-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Good to see Ozzie get a win last night.

evildeadjedi
10-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Mason is like a cat, sadly the team doesn't seem to keep it together throughout the season.

ravenheart
10-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Blue jacket=blue version of a yellow jacket. Pretty simple. :confused:

Right, that leads to a further question then. Why the fuck do you people call wasps "yellow jackets"? Never heard that one before. Probably because we use the proper words for things ;) Did some really dumb kid many years ago just go "Duurr, Gee Ma, that there buzzy thing looks like it gots a yella jacket on!", and it stuck?

But stupid misnomer aside, why is Stinger green? Blue + Yellow? I hope not... that's dumber than calling a wasp a "yellowjacket"... ;)

ravenheart
10-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Glad you saw the game with the good outcome. ;)

When the jerseys were 1,300 SEK (130/$200), there were no good outcomes.

Even the event t-shirt, which is currently $20 in the NHL.com store, were 300 SEK/30/$45.

DethMaiden
10-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Right, that leads to a further question then. Why the fuck do you people call wasps "yellow jackets"? Never heard that one before. Probably because we use the proper words for things ;) Did some really dumb kid many years ago just go "Duurr, Gee Ma, that there buzzy thing looks like it gots a yella jacket on!", and it stuck?

But stupid misnomer aside, why is Stinger green? Blue + Yellow? I hope not... that's dumber than calling a wasp a "yellowjacket"... ;)

:lol: First of all, we also call them wasps, and I'd say that's a lot more common than yellow jacket, but I'm pretty sure yellow jacket is a direct translation from a Native American word for wasp, which would make sense because most Native American names for things in nature were more descriptions of the thing than true nomenclature. But that's more than you wanted to know. ;)

And I don't know why the stinger is green, but if you think the Blue Jackets' mascot is the dumbest in American sports, you've got another thing coming.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Phillies_Phanatic.jpg/706px-Phillies_Phanatic.jpg

ravenheart
10-10-2010, 03:50 PM
:lol: First of all, we also call them wasps, and I'd say that's a lot more common than yellow jacket, but I'm pretty sure yellow jacket is a direct translation from a Native American word for wasp, which would make sense because most Native American names for things in nature were more descriptions of the thing than true nomenclature. But that's more than you wanted to know. ;)

So the really dumb kid was a Native American? Fair enough ;)

And I don't know why the stinger is green, but if you think the Blue Jackets' mascot is the dumbest in American sports, you've got another thing coming.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f6/Phillies_Phanatic.jpg/706px-Phillies_Phanatic.jpg

Well there's a missed trick if ever I saw one. How did they not make the mascot for the "Phillies" a scantily clad woman?

Also:

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Images/Juniors/Games/Billy.jpg

WIN :D

Derelict
10-10-2010, 03:56 PM
As a lifelong phillies fan, i fucking hate the phanatic

powerslave_85
10-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Caps have looked really good so far. We lost the first game to the Thrashers, but we've won the last three. We absolutely destroyed the Devils, and so far our penalty kill has been 100%. Unfortunately, we've only had one power play goal. The defense looks pretty good, and I'm really happy with Neuvirth between the pipes.

JLRedWing13
10-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Red Wings with another good win tonight. :D

Derelict
11-11-2010, 10:15 AM
The new allstar format is pretty awesome, even if its an excuse for the league to pit Crosby vs Ovechkin yet again.

Natrlhi
11-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Now, the main point... and possibly one for DethMaiden to answer... why the fuck is the Blue Jackets mascot a kind of wasp/fly mutant thing?Speaking of this, I take it you never saw this post (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showpost.php?p=312447&postcount=11).

DethMaiden
11-11-2010, 01:59 PM
Jackets DEMOLISHED the Blues (supposedly the best team in hockey going into the game according to most power rankings) 8-1 yesterday. I'm a happy man. :D

El Gordo
11-11-2010, 03:16 PM
The new allstar format is pretty awesome, even if its an excuse for the league to pit Crosby vs Ovechkin yet again.

Yeah, I like it. It might help the all-star game become relevant again, although they still won't play for blood... so it'll probably be interesting the first time and then back to the same old same old.

I think they should use this Captain-chosen team format but hold the game outdoors and scrap the Winter Classic and the Heritage Classic and whatever other Classic they come up with. If they want the All-Star game to be important, make it outdoors in front of 50,000+.

DethMaiden
11-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Important all-star games are stupid. It should be a spectacle. NBA does it right, makes it a whole weekend party. MLB gets close with home run derby but ruins it by making the game count. Pro Bowl is a giant fucking joke. I think the NHL could have gotten this right but I'll withhold judgment for now.

evildeadjedi
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Jackets DEMOLISHED the Blues (supposedly the best team in hockey going into the game according to most power rankings) 8-1 yesterday. I'm a happy man. :D
I started listening on 97.1 The Fan last night after I left class. Definitely, a strong showing at home I'm starting to get optimistic this year.

El Gordo
11-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Important all-star games are stupid. It should be a spectacle. NBA does it right, makes it a whole weekend party. MLB gets close with home run derby but ruins it by making the game count. Pro Bowl is a giant fucking joke. I think the NHL could have gotten this right but I'll withhold judgment for now.

By important I just meant that people actually want to watch the game. I haven't watched an all-star game in about 15 years. The only part of the all-star weekend I watch is the skills competition because it's the only part that's entertaining. The actual game is usually boring as fuck because the players don't give a shit. Maybe they'll give a shit now, I doubt it, but maybe they will.

Derelict
11-12-2010, 04:07 AM
Man, the flyers are really looking solid.

PlaysWithKnives
11-12-2010, 10:07 AM
I think they should use this Captain-chosen team format but hold the game outdoors and scrap the Winter Classic and the Heritage Classic and whatever other Classic they come up with. If they want the All-Star game to be important, make it outdoors in front of 50,000+.

That's a great idea

PlaysWithKnives
11-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Man, the flyers are really looking solid.

They sure do. Kind of makes the fan of a weaker team jealous

JLRedWing13
11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Wings are looking good. :D So is the Central Division in general. Whoever said the Blues are the best team in the league is crazy, but they are good, along with Columbus, and Chicago is going to find a groove eventually.

El Gordo
11-13-2010, 05:05 AM
Wings are looking good. :D So is the Central Division in general. Whoever said the Blues are the best team in the league is crazy, but they are good, along with Columbus, and Chicago is going to find a groove eventually.

I hope you're right about Chicago. They just haven't found any consistency at all so far. I guess that'll happen when you lose half your roster. As far as I'm concerned, Marty Turco is not the right guy in net -- and neither is Corey Crawford. From what I've seen, they've been out-shooting their opponents most nights, but not getting the big saves when they need them.

Derelict
11-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Holy shit did Jeff Carter get paid. I hope Leino is next so that I cam safely get a jersey.

PowerMaiden
11-18-2010, 11:40 AM
my Bruins are doiing ok, Tim Thomas seems to be right back where he was 2 years ago, but I can't wait to see them with all the injured players back in the line-up

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Derelict
12-15-2010, 04:38 PM
My flyers are looking REAL good after the big win vs the power play all star penguins last night...

Curious what the plan at goalie is, with Leighton coming off injured reserve today.

powerslave_85
01-01-2011, 10:39 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/6a/fullj.f04a0862b9789d392ba0a188cc30a352/f04a0862b9789d392ba0a188cc30a352-getty-102843496jm069_washington_c.jpg

http://images.memegenerator.net/Fuck-Yeah/File/87698/Fuck-Yeah.jpg

JLRedWing13
01-06-2011, 03:05 PM
The injury bug has hit the Wings again, albeit not as severely as last year. Nevertheless, with key contributors like Datsyuk and Cleary out, we need to be able to stay near the top of the West until they come back. Tough, but not impossible.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
01-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Stars are 3rd in the West and 1st in the Pacific Division. :rocker:

JLRedWing13
01-15-2011, 12:13 PM
The injury bug has hit the Wings again, albeit not as severely as last year. Nevertheless, with key contributors like Datsyuk and Cleary out, we need to be able to stay near the top of the West until they come back. Tough, but not impossible.
Nevermind, it's worse than last year. :bouville:

PowerMaiden
02-09-2011, 06:39 PM
anybody catched the Habs\Bruins game, ouf ... it was a dandy !

if not be sure to watch the game recap on sports news

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

DisposableJustice
02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Well my Avs are getting back a legend of hockey in Peter Forsberg...just not sure if I should be going nuts or hoping his hip doesn't break

smokebeer420
02-11-2011, 08:59 PM
My pick for the Cup is Boston -- would be nice to see another Original 6 team take it.-i would love that. I dont know if i can take the bruins going deep into the playoffs then blowing a 3-1 lead again in game 7 :pissed: :barf: .that and we havent had a championship since the red sox and c's won in 08

Maiden33
02-11-2011, 09:01 PM
My pick for the Cup is Boston -- would be nice to see another Original 6 team take it.-i would love that. I dont know if i can take the bruins going deep into the playoffs then blowing a 3-1 lead again in game 7 :pissed: :barf: .that and we havent had a championship since the red sox and c's won in 08

Ah yes, great memories from Round 2 of the Playoffs last year. :D

My personal prediction for Cup Final this year is Vancouver vs. Philadelphia, which would put me in heaven. My favorite team vs. what is probably my second favorite team. Hate to say it, but I could see Tampa Bay in the finals almost as easily as my Flyers. Stamkos is ri-freaking-diculous.

smokebeer420
02-11-2011, 09:28 PM
Ah yes, great memories from Round 2 of the Playoffs last year. great for you fucking horrible for me.it still baffles me that a team can blow a 3-1 series lead and a 3-1 score lead at HOME.It kills me to say that the Bruins are in the same caterogy as the new york yankees :nutkick:

es156
02-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Penguins/Islanders game tonight was crazy! Brent Johnson fought for the second time in the last week except this time he fought a forward instead of another goalie. The Penguins only had 2 skaters on the bench and 4 skaters on the ice at the end of the game. The rest were all kicked out of the game. I think the Islanders had 7 skaters left in the game at the end. Insane!

:boxer:

hellawaits77ny
02-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Penguins/Islanders game tonight was crazy! Brent Johnson fought for the second time in the last week except this time he fought a forward instead of another goalie. The Penguins only had 2 skaters on the bench and 4 skaters on the ice at the end of the game. The rest were all kicked out of the game. I think the Islanders had 7 skaters left in the game at the end. Insane!

:boxer:

Pens only had six left!! I'm a Pens' fan, I knew this was coming. The Pens have dominated the Isles for so long, and w/ Johnson breaking DiPietro's cheek bone last week, you knew something was coming.

Of course, the Isle's go after the Pen's when Pittsburgh has virtually have their regular starters out. Real tough guys they are.

El Gordo
02-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Ah yes, great memories from Round 2 of the Playoffs last year. :D

My personal prediction for Cup Final this year is Vancouver vs. Philadelphia, which would put me in heaven. My favorite team vs. what is probably my second favorite team. Hate to say it, but I could see Tampa Bay in the finals almost as easily as my Flyers. Stamkos is ri-freaking-diculous.

Ugh. If that's the final, I won't be watching a single game. Easily my two most hated teams. I'm a longtime Hawks fan but I have serious doubts about them even making the playoffs this year... My pick at the beginning of the season was Boston for the Cup and I'm sticking with it. I'd like to see a Bruins-Canucks final and see Luongo shit the bed again.

PowerMaiden
03-19-2011, 06:00 PM
My fucking Bruins are awfull :mad: fucking awfull since 2 weeks. The Kaberley trade didn't gave us anything on the pp and worst of all both our goalies are shit lately. Doesn't look good for the playoffs...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

powerslave_85
04-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Ten days till the playoffs :agree:

TonyD
04-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Ten days til the Sharks begin choking.

powerslave_85
04-11-2011, 09:09 AM
AWWWWWWW SHIT IT'S PLAYOFF TIME MOTHERFUCKERS

Here's your first round matchups:

East:
Washington Capitals (1) vs. New York Rangers (8)
Philadelphia Flyers (2) vs. Buffalo Sabres (7)
Boston Bruins (3) vs. Montreal Canadiens (6)
Pittsburgh Penguins (4) vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (5)

West:
Vancouver Canucks (1) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (8)
San Jose Sharks (2) vs. Los Angeles Kings (7)
Detroit Red Wings (3) vs. Phoenix Coyotes (6)
Anaheim Ducks (4) vs. Nashville Predators (5)

Series I'm looking forward to (other than the Caps):
Flyers and Sabres
Bruins and Canadiens
Canucks and Blackhawks

Derelict
04-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Really don't see the Flyers doing well, they've been horrendous the past two months. I think my playoff beard won't be lasting too long.

powerslave_85
04-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I'm pissed that the 'Canes choked and we ended up with the Rangers. Those guys had our number all season (we went 1-3 against them, including 6-0 and 7-0 shutouts :hecho: ). They won't have Callahan, though, so I guess that's a plus.

Derelict
04-11-2011, 10:23 AM
I'm pissed that the 'Canes choked and we ended up with the Rangers. Those guys had our number all season (we went 1-3 against them, including 6-0 and 7-0 shutouts :hecho: ). They won't have Callahan, though, so I guess that's a plus.

Horrible timing (for NYR) on the Callahan injury, i think they had a shot to beat someone in the first round before that.

jhdeity
04-11-2011, 09:15 PM

Totally agree. We don't match up well with them but hopefully it's our year. I just have a feeling...

hellawaits77ny
04-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Really don't see the Flyers doing well, they've been horrendous the past two months. I think my playoff beard won't be lasting too long.

They'll take Buffalo in 7

PowerMaiden
04-12-2011, 03:48 PM
my predictions

Bruins in 6
Flyers in 7
Lightning in 6
Capitals in 6

Canucks in 5
Sharks in 4
Red Wings in 7
Ducks in 7

Go Bruins Go !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

El Gordo
04-12-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm not exactly counting on it, but I'd be so fucking stoked it the Hawks upset those dirty Canucks. What I wouldn't give to see that whiney bitch Luongo sulk off the ice and blame the rest of his team for losing again. Anyway, Nucks are looking good lately and the Hawks aren't, but GO HAWKS GO!!!!!

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Stars rightfully fire Crawford today.

hellawaits77ny
04-12-2011, 08:59 PM
my predictions

Lightning in 6

I hate you!! I'm a Pen's fan :party:

It will go to 7 IMO

jhdeity
04-13-2011, 06:14 AM
I hate you!! I'm a Pen's fan :party:

It will go to 7 IMO

ROCK THE RED!

Ans I'm a fan of whoever is playing Sydney and his drippy vag. Go LIGHTNING!

Derelict
04-13-2011, 06:46 AM
Still unsure if Pronger is playing or not...

powerslave_85
04-14-2011, 09:07 AM
My predictions:

Caps in 6
Flyers in 6
Bruins in 5
Penguins in 4

Canucks in 5
Red Wings in 4
Sharks in 5
Predators in 6

mastodon421
04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
My Predictions:
Caps in 6
Flyers in 7
Bruins in 5
Lightning in 6

Canucks in 5
Red Wings in 5
Sharks in 6
Predators in 7

Maiden33
04-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Might as well get in on the predictions:

Caps in 7
Flyers in 6
Bruins in 5
Lightning in 7

Canucks in 6
Red Wings in 5
Sharks in 5
Predators in 7

Maiden33
04-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Still unsure if Pronger is playing or not...

Day-to-day, no for Game 1 tonight.

hellawaits77ny
04-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Caps in 5
Flyers in 7
Bruins in 6
Pens in 7

Canucks in 6
Sharks in 6
Wings in 6
Preds in 7

powerslave_85
04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
Day-to-day, no for Game 1 tonight.
Isn't Mike Richards hurt too? How long is he out for?

Maiden33
04-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Isn't Mike Richards hurt too? How long is he out for?

I've heard nothing about this. I heard he missed a day of practice recently, but they called it a "Maintenance Day", not because of an injury or anything that would prevent him from playing tonight.

powerslave_85
04-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Ah, okay. I just heard he missed practice, I guess that's it.

Derelict
04-14-2011, 06:39 PM
I've heard nothing about this. I heard he missed a day of practice recently, but they called it a "Maintenance Day", not because of an injury or anything that would prevent him from playing tonight.

The rumor is that he showed up late for practice so they sent him home. Solid showing from your captain.

powerslave_85
04-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Looks like the Bruins are finding out just what a pain in the ass the Habs can be in the playoffs. I have a feeling a lot of the Eastern series are going to turn into goalie duels.

I missed the Kings-Sharks game, but I guess it was a good one. I guess the Kings are doing pretty well even without Kopitar.

The poor Coyotes are probably doomed. The Wings put on quite a show the other day, and will only get better once Zetterberg comes back.

PlaysWithKnives
04-15-2011, 01:26 PM
My predictions even though the playoffs already started:
Eastern Conference
Flyers in 7 (unfortunately :D)
Habs in 7
Caps in 4
Pens in 5

Western Conference
Predators in 7
Kings in 7
Canucks in 6
Red Wings in 5

PowerMaiden
04-16-2011, 06:31 PM
fucking habs

PowerMaiden

powerslave_85
04-17-2011, 09:15 PM
The Caps mostly played like shit today. The thing that killed us was all the stupid penalties, though our PK unit did a nice job of killing that extended 5-on-3. We're gonna need to win one at MSG in order to pull out this series.

smokebeer420
04-18-2011, 11:39 AM
The bruins are pissing me off right now,they are not playing bad they just cant seem to find the back of the net.I think its time to put tukka in and see what he can do maybe that will light a fire to get the bruins going.

Maiden33
04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Regarding the Flyers tonight: Hell yeah. :party:

jhdeity
04-18-2011, 10:46 PM
The Caps mostly played like shit today. The thing that killed us was all the stupid penalties, though our PK unit did a nice job of killing that extended 5-on-3. We're gonna need to win one at MSG in order to pull out this series.

Totally agree. Loving the constant comebacks, penalty kills and ugly goals. They're grinding for sure.

Derelict
04-19-2011, 06:42 AM
Regarding the Flyers tonight: Hell yeah. :party:

Fuckin A man - Briere is so money it's ridiculous

es156
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
fucking habs

PowerMaiden

Every time you post about the Bruins or Canadians I have to laugh. You must catch a ton of grief from your friends/family etc.

:lol:

powerslave_85
04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
No shit. If I were him, I'd fear for my safety. Habs fans riot at the drop of a hat :lol:

PlaysWithKnives
04-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Fuckin A man - Briere is so money it's ridiculous

Fuckin Briere! Even though he's a Flyer, he's still one of my favorite players.We should have never let that guy go. Now he's coming back to bite the Sabres in the ass.

PlaysWithKnives
04-20-2011, 11:07 AM
fucking habs

PowerMaiden

What's it like being a Bruins fan in Montreal? The ridicule must be unbearable

hellawaits77ny
04-20-2011, 08:44 PM
What's it like being a Bruins fan in Montreal? The ridicule must be unbearable

I used to think the same thing. But a buddy of mine from the MTL says there are many. I can't believe it, but he swears its true.

Was hoping for the Rangers to upset the Caps, cause I know my boys (Pittsburgh) can't beat Washington. Not gonna happen after they blew that lead tonight.

Derelict
04-22-2011, 05:50 AM
Fuckin Briere! Even though he's a Flyer, he's still one of my favorite players.We should have never let that guy go. Now he's coming back to bite the Sabres in the ass.

A buddy of mine's kid has a brain tumor, we had a beef and beer benefit for him last year, Briere donated all this signed stuff for him. Really made me like the guy a ton more.

Pretty pumped for game 5 tonight. Pronger playing.

PlaysWithKnives
04-22-2011, 02:00 PM
A buddy of mine's kid has a brain tumor, we had a beef and beer benefit for him last year, Briere donated all this signed stuff for him. Really made me like the guy a ton more.

Pretty pumped for game 5 tonight. Pronger playing.

Yeah. Briere is cool like that. He did a lot of charity stuff when he was here, and I believe he still does a little bit in the offseason. I'm pumped for tonight too. The winner can clinch Sunday. The Flyers seem a little flustered with the Sabres hitting back. They're doing a lot bitching and moaning. I think they'll be distracted. They just reported no Pronger either. Buffalo is gonna win

powerslave_85
04-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Really hoping we can close out the series tomorrow in DC.

Is anyone else gonna laugh REALLY hard if the Canucks blow their series?

mastodon421
04-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Really hoping we can close out the series tomorrow in DC.

Is anyone else gonna laugh REALLY hard if the Canucks blow their series?

Yes, I fucking hate the Canucks. Bruins games last night was epic, I can't believe Ryder stepped up and played so well.

Derelict
04-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Ugh, coming all the way back then losing that in OT was brutal.

PlaysWithKnives
04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Ugh, coming all the way back then losing that in OT was brutal.

Sucks to be a Flyers fan, huh? I hear the Sabres are passing out easter baskets with golf goodies in them :D

Don't mind me. Just got to talk a little trash to a Flyer fan

Maiden33
04-23-2011, 09:45 PM
Frankly the way each team is playing in this series, NEITHER Philly or Buffalo even deserves to make it out of this round, and are most likely going to get completely obliterated in the next one. The teams look like they're playing in mud, it's some of the slowest and sloppiest playoff hockey I've ever seen. And yes, I AM a Flyers fan. But I call them as I see them.

powerslave_85
04-23-2011, 10:21 PM
FUCK YEAH CAPS! :party: :party:

Obviously we won't know for a bit who we're playing in the second round, but it won't be Philly or Boston. I'm hoping for the Pens. I'd rather not get the Habs, but I think any of those other four teams would be a favorable match-up; we were a combined 13-1-4 against them since Feb. 1st.

jhdeity
04-24-2011, 01:43 AM
FUCK YEAH CAPS! :party: :party:

Obviously we won't know for a bit who we're playing in the second round, but it won't be Philly or Boston. I'm hoping for the Pens. I'd rather not get the Habs, but I think any of those other four teams would be a favorable match-up; we were a combined 13-1-4 against them since Feb. 1st.

I'm officially a Buffalo fan! I'd rather see the Caps play them then the winner of the other teams after they beat each other up some more.

If someone can knock Talbot's block off the Pens will be terrible. How about Tampon Bay building a snowman on Pit's home ice? 4 goals against each goalie. That was EPIC!

PowerMaiden
04-24-2011, 06:30 AM
epic game last night in Montreal. fucking EPIC !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Derelict
04-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Frankly the way each team is playing in this series, NEITHER Philly or Buffalo even deserves to make it out of this round, and are most likely going to get completely obliterated in the next one. The teams look like they're playing in mud, it's some of the slowest and sloppiest playoff hockey I've ever seen. And yes, I AM a Flyers fan. But I call them as I see them.

Gotta agree with Jeff here

smokebeer420
04-24-2011, 03:38 PM
with the exception of the caps vs rangers and red wings vs coyotes im suprised at how close these series are.i think sabres beat philly bruins beat habs and pit beats tampa and for west van beats chicago sj beats the kings and ducks come from behind to beat the predators

PowerMaiden
04-24-2011, 03:58 PM
wow Alain Vigneaut took a big decision by not putting Luongo between the pipes tonight

(although I think I would have done the same)

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Derelict
04-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Even if the flyers lose game 7, at least miller has shown himself to be an over rated little bitch. If the flyers had a legit goalie, this series would have been over in 5.

El Gordo
04-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Can't believe the Hawks are on the verge of upsetting the Canucks! This is awesome! I have a feeling Vancouver's gonna pull out a victory in game 7, but I'm happy with the effort from the Hawks. I was so disappointed when it was looking like a sweep.

jhdeity
04-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Even if the flyers lose game 7, at least miller has shown himself to be an over rated little bitch. If the flyers had a legit goalie, this series would have been over in 5.

couldn't agre more on both points. I'm still hoping we draw Buffalo but if Philly has ANY kind of Goalie they'd be tough to beat

Derelict
04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
couldn't agre more on both points. I'm still hoping we draw Buffalo but if Philly has ANY kind of Goalie they'd be tough to beat

I think if the flyers don't allow any cheesy first period goals, we win game 7.

Maiden33
04-25-2011, 05:37 PM
I think if the flyers don't allow any cheesy first period goals, we win game 7.

This.

hellawaits77ny
04-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I'm picking the Flyers in game 7

PlaysWithKnives
04-26-2011, 01:06 PM

Got that right. As a Flyers fan Id be more disturbed. They are so much more talented than the Sabres. Buffalo is young and make mistakes and their defense sucks. Miller has had some clunkers, and the series has still gone 7. The Sabres have had their moments and are resilient, but the Flyers really should have done away with them by now. And I'm a Sabres fan. Game 7 should be great though. It's anyones game.

If I were a Caps fan id want the Sabres too. They won't let the Sabres get away with their sloppy play like Philly has.

Derelict
04-27-2011, 09:24 AM
I guess the flyers felt like showing they were the better team in this series, finally.

powerslave_85
04-27-2011, 09:51 AM
Yeah, and the Sabres did not show up at all.

That was one hell of a game between Vancouver and Chicago last night. Crawford was fucking insane, and that goal by Toews was one of the best of the playoffs. Too bad it was all undone by Campoli's shitty clearing attempt.

I'm rooting for the Bruins tonight, because the Habs are the team I least want the Caps to face in the 2nd round. Well, that's mostly because of Price, but whatever. I'd rather get the Penguins.

PowerMaiden
04-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Yeaaaaaah Horton !!!

Go Bruins Go against Philly

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity
04-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Caps vs. Tampa and Sidney has plenty of time to practice his tango with Heinz Ward on Dancing with the Vag's. EPIC!

Boston vs. Philly is going to be a bloodbath!

hellawaits77ny
04-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Caps vs. Tampa and Sidney has plenty of time to practice his tango with Heinz Ward on Dancing with the Vag's. EPIC!

Boston vs. Philly is going to be a bloodbath!

You seem to rip on Pittsburgh teams. Who may I ask are you a fan of?

Derelict
04-28-2011, 04:36 AM
^^^ Everyone hates the penguins.

jhdeity
04-28-2011, 07:45 AM
^^^ Everyone hates the penguins.

and Pittsburgh for that matter.

powerslave_85
04-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Bring on the Bolts!! :party: :party:

I was pretty happy to see the Penguins blow a 3-1 series lead. Don't really care who wins the Bruins/Flyers series, but it'll be a good one. So will Wings/Sharks.

jhdeity
04-28-2011, 10:49 AM
Bring on the Bolts!! :party: :party:

I was pretty happy to see the Penguins blow a 3-1 series lead. Don't really care who wins the Bruins/Flyers series, but it'll be a good one. So will Wings/Sharks.

yeah I just want the Bruins/Flyers to beat the living snot out of each other.

Got my tix for Friday night. I will be going apeshit Rockin' the Red!

PowerMaiden
04-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Got my tix for Friday night. I will be going apeshit Rockin' the Red!

cool man ! You also like hockey that's nice. In fact I'm pleasently surprise that a lot of metalsetlisters seems to enjoy it too. We always get the feeling up here in Canada that americans don't enjoy it as much... cool !

my predictions for round 2

Bruins in 6
Caps in 6
Canucks in 5
Sharks in 7

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Maiden33
04-28-2011, 12:04 PM
My predictions:

Flyers in 7
Bolts in 6
Red Wings in 5
Canucks in 5

mastodon421
04-28-2011, 12:10 PM
I like the Bruins against the Flyers. I think they matchup really well against them. That being said, it's going to be a tough, dirty series to pull out. I say Bruins in 6.

Other series:
Caps in 7
Sharks in 7
Canucks in 6

Maiden33
04-28-2011, 12:15 PM
Can't believe people are picking the Sharks in that series. They're pretty much known choke artists, and Detroit had the only sweep in round 1, and are looking as fierce and dangerous as ever. To me that may be the most clear-cut of the bunch.

Derelict
04-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Can't believe people are picking the Sharks in that series. They're pretty much known choke artists, and Detroit had the only sweep in round 1, and are looking as fierce and dangerous as ever. To me that may be the most clear-cut of the bunch.

Watched most of that series since the new ladyfriend is a red wings fan...they looked awesome, and Zetterberg didn't even play.

jhdeity
04-28-2011, 02:30 PM
cool man ! You also like hockey that's nice. In fact I'm pleasently surprise that a lot of metalsetlisters seems to enjoy it too. We always get the feeling up here in Canada that americans don't enjoy it as much... cool !

Bruins in 6
Caps in 6
Canucks in 5
Sharks in 7

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Yeah man I have several friends who are season ticket holders. I'll be honest though most of my friends don't seem to get into hockey until the last month of the season but once they get into it, they're rabid.

I only went to 5 or 6 games this year but I'm hoping to go to 5 or 6 playoff games! Watching hockey on tv just doesn't do the sport justice to me.

On tv the rink looks huge and the players look small and in real life it's the exact opposite. The players look HUGE in person. I'm jakked!

PowerMaiden
04-28-2011, 03:18 PM

I know it's an odd pick, just a feeling they will finally overcome their playoffs demons but I wouldn't bet too much money on it

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

hellawaits77ny
04-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Was 7for 8 in the 1st round. Correct # of games in 3.

My 2nd round picks

Canucks in 6
San Jose in 7
Wash in 6
Boston in 7

smokebeer420
04-30-2011, 03:34 AM

Bruins in 6
Caps in 6
Canucks in 5
Sharks in 7

Cheers !
PowerMaidenI think hockey is the most popular sport in america its not a televised as the other major sports at least during the regular seaon

Boston vs. Philly is going to be a bloodbath!This,specially with what happened last year

El Gordo
04-30-2011, 05:55 AM
I think hockey is the most popular sport in america its not a televised as the other major sports at least during the regular seaon

There's no way that statement is correct.

es156
04-30-2011, 08:51 AM
There's no way that statement is correct.

I agree. There is absolutely no way that hockey is the most popular sport in America. More people watch golf in the U.S. than hockey, ha ha.

The Caps/Lightning game last night was a great game. I hope the Caps got the wake up call. The Lightning have a good team but I hope the Caps pull it out. I would like to see them in the finals.

The Bruins and Flyers series should be one of the most physical in recent years. Should be a lot of fun to watch.

In the West, I hate the Red Wings and the Canucks, so I hope the Sharks and Predators can pull off the upsets.

jhdeity
04-30-2011, 03:00 PM
I agree. There is absolutely no way that hockey is the most popular sport in America. More people watch golf in the U.S. than hockey, ha ha.

The Caps/Lightning game last night was a great game. I hope the Caps got the wake up call. The Lightning have a good team but I hope the Caps pull it out. I would like to see them in the finals.

The Bruins and Flyers series should be one of the most physical in recent years. Should be a lot of fun to watch.

In the West, I hate the Red Wings and the Canucks, so I hope the Sharks and Predators can pull off the upsets.

This... across the board. Football is by far the most popular sport in America. I just watched 12 hours of NFL Draft coverage and loved every second of it.

JLRedWing13
05-04-2011, 12:19 AM
FYI, the Sharks beating the Wings would not be an upset....the Sharks are the 2, the Wings the 3 in that conference. And San Jose has showed why so far. Time for my Wings to do something about it if they want to win this series.

Derelict
05-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I think flyers/bruins is just about over...of course, i said that about this time last year, too.

powerslave_85
05-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Getting ready for tonight's game:

http://www.radekaphotography.com/images/Noose-L.jpg

Maiden33
05-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Everyone's brooms are looking to get quite the workout this year.

es156
05-05-2011, 04:08 PM
FYI, the Sharks beating the Wings would not be an upset....the Sharks are the 2, the Wings the 3 in that conference. And San Jose has showed why so far. Time for my Wings to do something about it if they want to win this series.

Detroit has a long history of playoff success and San Jose has a long history of not so much playoff success. That is why I would consider it an upset. And they were only 1 point apart in the standings so it is not like 8 seed vs 1 seed.

(Also, no offense was meant by my "hate the Red Wings" statement. It is purely a sports thing.)

;)

es156
05-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Getting ready for tonight's game:

Yeah, I am somewhat surprised at the sweep. I thought the Lightning would give them a good series because they have been playing well, but I never thought it would be a sweep. The conference finals in the east should be very interesting.

JLRedWing13
05-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Detroit has a long history of playoff success and San Jose has a long history of not so much playoff success. That is why I would consider it an upset. And they were only 1 point apart in the standings so it is not like 8 seed vs 1 seed.

(Also, no offense was meant by my "hate the Red Wings" statement. It is purely a sports thing.)

;)
Well San Jose beat the Wings in 5 last year......and it's cool. Any team that's enjoyed as much success as the Wings have will undoubtedly attract the haters. ;)

This series isn't over yet. If Chicago can take Vancouver to 7, I believe we can take the Sharks to 7. We just need one.

El Gordo
05-05-2011, 05:19 PM
This series isn't over yet. If Chicago can take Vancouver to 7, I believe we can take the Sharks to 7. We just need one.

I'm on the fence about this comment. While I consider the Canucks to be some of the biggest choke artists around, the Sharks are probably considered by most to be the owners of that title. Then again, Niemi has proven he's a pretty good playoff goalie whereas Luongo, aside from the Olympics (which isn't the same thing), has certainly not. I don't think Detroit has much of a chance of taking San Jose down at this point -- Chicago had (and still has imo) a psychological edge against the Canucks that the Wings don't possess in this series.

es156
05-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Well San Jose beat the Wings in 5 last year......and it's cool. Any team that's enjoyed as much success as the Wings have will undoubtedly attract the haters. ;)

Well, to be fair, I am old enough that I hated them when they sucked back in the late 80's/early 90's as well. I just hate them more now that they have been dominant for the last 15 years. :tongue:

JLRedWing13
05-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm on the fence about this comment. While I consider the Canucks to be some of the biggest choke artists around, the Sharks are probably considered by most to be the owners of that title. Then again, Niemi has proven he's a pretty good playoff goalie whereas Luongo, aside from the Olympics (which isn't the same thing), has certainly not. I don't think Detroit has much of a chance of taking San Jose down at this point -- Chicago had (and still has imo) a psychological edge against the Canucks that the Wings don't possess in this series.
We're two bounces from being up 2-1 in this series. No, we don't have a psychological edge, quite the opposite probably, but Philly sure as hell didn't seem to have one last year. It wouldn't take much to swing the series back in our favor though. Hockey is a strange game. Like I said, we just have to start with one.

Maiden33
05-06-2011, 07:30 PM
God, that was almost painful, though completely not surprising. Time to root for Tampa Bay. Simon Gagne has long been one of my favorite players (Flyers or otherwise), and I wanna see him lift the cup, even if it's not with us. Also, they're just a damn good team, I have no complaints about them winning it.

For the Flyers:
-Please get rid of Boucher for good now. Keep Bobrovsky and either send him to the minors or have him as the back-up, and spend the majority of your resources on finding an A-level goaltender, or we're BOUND to be in this same position next season.
-WTF happened to Mike Richards? He's been in a pretty extensive funk for the better part of the last year or year and a half at this point. He's a far cry from the great player and play maker he was back in 2008. I'd seriously suggest stripping him of his C at this point, but the problem is I'm not sure there's even someone better to give it to.
-The future of this organization's offense is in the hands of Giroux, JVR, Leino, and Briere if he's playing up to potential. Please for the love of god, can we get rid of Hartnell? He's slow, can't score, and takes SO many undisciplined penalties. See also, pieces of shit such as Carcillo and Shelley.

es156
05-06-2011, 10:07 PM
God, that was almost painful, though completely not surprising. Time to root for Tampa Bay. Simon Gagne has long been one of my favorite players (Flyers or otherwise), and I wanna see him lift the cup, even if it's not with us. Also, they're just a damn good team, I have no complaints about them winning it.

For the Flyers:
-Please get rid of Boucher for good now. Keep Bobrovsky and either send him to the minors or have him as the back-up, and spend the majority of your resources on finding an A-level goaltender, or we're BOUND to be in this same position next season.
-WTF happened to Mike Richards? He's been in a pretty extensive funk for the better part of the last year or year and a half at this point. He's a far cry from the great player and play maker he was back in 2008. I'd seriously suggest stripping him of his C at this point, but the problem is I'm not sure there's even someone better to give it to.
-The future of this organization's offense is in the hands of Giroux, JVR, Leino, and Briere if he's playing up to potential. Please for the love of god, can we get rid of Hartnell? He's slow, can't score, and takes SO many undisciplined penalties. See also, pieces of shit such as Carcillo and Shelley.

I think the Boston broadcasters mentioned that Richards was injured but trying to play through it. He definitely didn't play up to his normal level during the games that I watched.

Gagne is also injured. I am not sure when he will be back.

Boston vs Tampa should be a great series.

JLRedWing13
05-06-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't think that Flyers team needs much tweaking at all. Unless they can spring a trade for a top-flight goalie, there's not much point in going out and signing a Vokoun or Bryzgalov, who are arguably an upgrade but do not have the playoff experience Boucher or Leighton do. Leighton and Boucher combined to take the Flyers to a Cup final last year, something only a FA goalie like Jean-Sebastian Giguere can claim.

Pronger's absence was huge, and if anything they need to upgrade on the back end. That team is as deep as anyone when it comes to offense, but there were too many defensive lapses when Pronger was out.

I'm only one opinion, but I think the Flyers are only a defenseman or two away, really.

I'm going to be rooting hard for Steve Yzerman's Lightning to beat the Bruins. :D

mastodon421
05-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Boston Vs Tampa is going to be a great series. I really hope the Bruins can pull it out this year, they are playing great right now and it's been far too long since they have won a Stanely Cup.

PowerMaiden
05-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Great win for my Bruins, I was so happy last night, I celebrated with an Amon Amarth virtual show :D

Bergeron is out for good with another concusion, this will hurt us badly, this guy can do everything on a hockey rink. We will really miss him against Tampa. But still, Bruins in 7 !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JLRedWing13
05-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Great win for my Bruins, I was so happy last night, I celebrated with an Amon Amarth virtual show :D

Bergeron is out for good with another concusion, this will hurt us badly, this guy can do everything on a hockey rink. We will really miss him against Tampa. But still, Bruins in 7 !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
He's not necessarily out for good.....

PowerMaiden
05-07-2011, 03:40 PM
He's not necessarily out for good.....

yeah I just saw Peter Chiarelly on the news he said that his condition is evaluated on a day-to-day basis, let's hope the western series last a bit longer, Go Preds and go Wings !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JLRedWing13
05-07-2011, 10:49 PM
yeah I just saw Peter Chiarelly on the news he said that his condition is evaluated on a day-to-day basis, let's hope the western series last a bit longer, Go Preds and go Wings !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden
:agree:

El Gordo
05-08-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't think that Flyers team needs much tweaking at all. Unless they can spring a trade for a top-flight goalie, there's not much point in going out and signing a Vokoun or Bryzgalov, who are arguably an upgrade but do not have the playoff experience Boucher or Leighton do. Leighton and Boucher combined to take the Flyers to a Cup final last year, something only a FA goalie like Jean-Sebastian Giguere can claim.

Pronger's absence was huge, and if anything they need to upgrade on the back end. That team is as deep as anyone when it comes to offense, but there were too many defensive lapses when Pronger was out.

I'm only one opinion, but I think the Flyers are only a defenseman or two away, really.

I'm going to be rooting hard for Steve Yzerman's Lightning to beat the Bruins. :D

The Flyers need a goalie, plain and simple. They have for about as long as I can remember. When was the last time the Flyers had a truly elite goalie? Seriously. Hextall? Lindbergh? Bernie Fucking Parent?!

JLRedWing13
05-08-2011, 03:32 PM
They're going to have to pay up if they want an elite goalie, because no one available through free agency fits that description.

El Gordo
05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Nope. They're gonna have to get creative. They have lots of offensive weapons to use as trade bait.

PowerMaiden
05-13-2011, 05:52 PM
Bruins and Sharks both in 7

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PlaysWithKnives
05-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Fuckin Bruins. I can't stand them. They're going to win the cup though, I think. They have everything a team needs. Fuckin Bruins.

Both conference finals are going to be great series. It'll be fun to watch. I'd kind of like to see Vancouver win. Canada hasn't had a cup for a long time.

Maiden33
05-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Bolts in 7, Sharks in 6.

JLRedWing13
05-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Seeing Joe Thornton touch the Clarence Campbell Trophy or the Cup would make me almost as sick as I was when Crosby won.

Canucks in 6, Bolts in 7.

PowerMaiden
05-17-2011, 07:43 PM
What a game !
Kudos Seguin
Julien has to find him a place in the line up even if Bergeron comes back, he has to !

Go Bruins !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JLRedWing13
05-24-2011, 09:21 PM
Canucks advance on probably the weirdest goal I've ever seen for as long as I've been watching hockey.

es156
05-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Canucks advance on probably the weirdest goal I've ever seen for as long as I've been watching hockey.

Yeah, that sucked. Crappy way to end a series.

JLRedWing13
05-25-2011, 09:41 PM
Yeah, that sucked. Crappy way to end a series.
Indeed, but the Sharks got plenty of that in our series so I'm not too sad. ;) San Jose should have won last night though, Luongo won that game for Vancouver.

Game 7 for the Eastern Conference Final on Friday :D

PowerMaiden
05-27-2011, 03:07 PM
GO BRUINS GO !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

El Gordo
05-27-2011, 03:19 PM
GO BRUINS GO !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

:fist:

JLRedWing13
05-28-2011, 05:27 PM
This series is going to be pretty simple. Either Boston figures out their power play or Vancouver wins it in 4-5 games.

PowerMaiden
06-01-2011, 10:56 AM
This series is going to be pretty simple. Either Boston figures out their power play or Vancouver wins it in 4-5 games.

or refs keep their whistle in their pockets like in game 7 in the east

Go Bruins Go !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
06-10-2011, 08:37 PM
fucking Lapierre, I hate this fucking guy

Maiden33
06-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Vancouver is gonna win this thing. At least I hope so. They were my predicted cup winner months ago.

El Gordo
06-11-2011, 02:59 AM
fucking Lapierre, I hate this fucking guy

THIS. What a fucking classless piece of garbage. I would hate the Canucks a lot less if they weren't composed almost exclusively of whiners and divers. The Canucks obviously have more talent and skill than the Bruins but the Bruins are the type of team that I can actually get behind -- hard-nosed, grinding, team-first players. Fuck, I can't believe Vancouver are a win away from hoisting the Cup.

es156
06-11-2011, 06:34 AM
THIS. What a fucking classless piece of garbage. I would hate the Canucks a lot less if they weren't composed almost exclusively of whiners and divers. The Canucks obviously have more talent and skill than the Bruins but the Bruins are the type of team that I can actually get behind -- hard-nosed, grinding, team-first players. Fuck, I can't believe Vancouver are a win away from hoisting the Cup.

Totally agree. There is no way I would be able to shake hands with Burrows or Lapierre after the series is over. What a disgrace to the game. If they win it in Boston there might be a riot.

JLRedWing13
06-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Totally agree. There is no way I would be able to shake hands with Burrows or Lapierre after the series is over. What a disgrace to the game. If they win it in Boston there might be a riot.
Even their goalie can't keep his mouth shut. Thomas has allowed six goals in five games, but here's Luongo, who's given up over twice as many, bragging that he would have stopped that goal in Game 5. While that may be true, he gave up a shitload of soft goals in Games 3 and 4. I bet he wins the Conn Smythe if the Canucks win the Cup....

es156
06-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Even their goalie can't keep his mouth shut. Thomas has allowed six goals in five games, but here's Luongo, who's given up over twice as many, bragging that he would have stopped that goal in Game 5. While that may be true, he gave up a shitload of soft goals in Games 3 and 4. I bet he wins the Conn Smythe if the Canucks win the Cup....

Ha ha, yeah, Luongo is a major tool. "I haven't heard one nice thing he had to say about me." He is crying about the opposing goalie not stroking his huge ego? What a joke. I wonder if Chara is losing sleep because Bieksa hasn't said anything nice about him lately? :lol:

Northern_Shaman
06-12-2011, 12:17 PM
or refs keep their whistle in their pockets like in game 7 in the east

Go Bruins Go !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

The Bruins have always been one of my favourite teams, and I live in Vancouver. Fuck the Canucks. Before the playoffs even started, I said that I wanted Boston to win the cup in Vancouver, in game 7 overtime. Stoked for that to happen.

:light:

El Gordo
06-12-2011, 06:18 PM

I bet he wins it too, but it's complete bullshit. Win or lose, the only player who should win the Conn Smythe is Tim Thomas. If Boston plays any other goalie in the entire league, they don't reach the finals, end of story. Fucker has let in some softies but all in all he's been a fucking revelation. Fuck, I hate Luongo like I've never hated any athlete. He's such a smug, whiney bastard. I love how he threw his team under the bus after their loss to Chicago last year... and as team 'captain' no less. Only the douches that play for the Canucks would keep playing in front of such a greasy-haired glory whore. :flame:

PowerMaiden
06-13-2011, 07:51 PM
I love youNorthern_Shaman :edwink:

GO BRUINS GO !!!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
06-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Win or lose, the only player who should win the Conn Smythe is Tim Thomas.

this

Go BRUINS !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

mastodon421
06-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Hell Fucking Yes, Bruins win the cup for the first time in 39 years. I'm stoked.

PowerMaiden
06-15-2011, 07:12 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9980/img1898n.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity
06-15-2011, 08:32 PM
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9980/img1898n.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

EPIC! Congrats to the Bruins fans. They truly earned that Win and series. if there is a cooler more bad ass goalie than Tim Thomas I've never seen him play. Major respect for that guy!

powerslave_85
06-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Congrats to Bruins fans, and to Tim Thomas, who very deservedly won the Conn-Smythe. Having to win three 7-game series on the way to the Cup is no easy task.

Northern_Shaman
06-16-2011, 01:23 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/06/15/bc-stanley-cup-fans-post-game-7.html?ref=rss

I just got home from downtown. What a memorable experience. Being in the heart of all of that chaos... Wow.

What I saw tonight:
-Several cop cars on fire/beaten/destroyed
-Tim Hortons windows smashed
-Bank of Montreal windows smashed
-Some jewellery store get broken into and legitimately looted
-Tonnes of fights
-People climbing all the way across the highest traffic lights
-Tear gas canisters fired at rioters, who promptly kicked the things back at the police

Pretty much everything you expect from a riot and more. Had been joking about it for a long time, but I didn't think my city would actually deliver. So, uh, you guys can ask me about it if you want. Was contemplating making this a separate thread. Maybe later.

Disclaimer: I did not participate in the above. I merely observed.

jhdeity
06-16-2011, 06:18 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/06/15/bc-stanley-cup-fans-post-game-7.html?ref=rss

I just got home from downtown. What a memorable experience. Being in the heart of all of that chaos... Wow.

What I saw tonight:
-Several cop cars on fire/beaten/destroyed
-Tim Hortons windows smashed
-Bank of Montreal windows smashed
-Some jewellery store get broken into and legitimately looted
-Tonnes of fights
-People climbing all the way across the highest traffic lights
-Tear gas canisters fired at rioters, who promptly kicked the things back at the police

Pretty much everything you expect from a riot and more. Had been joking about it for a long time, but I didn't think my city would actually deliver. So, uh, you guys can ask me about it if you want. Was contemplating making this a separate thread. Maybe later.

Disclaimer: I did not participate in the above. I merely observed.

The 1st thing I thought when I saw this was why? What's the purpose? Would they have done this if they had won also? The 2nd thing was if any of these same idiots were part of the famous GnR riot back in the 80's?

Northern_Shaman
06-16-2011, 02:52 PM
The 1st thing I thought when I saw this was why? What's the purpose? Would they have done this if they had won also? The 2nd thing was if any of these same idiots were part of the famous GnR riot back in the 80's?

There was no purpose. The riot wasn't really started by hockey fans, I don't think. There were people with ski-masks and balaclavas ready w/ tools at the start of the 3rd period. Using the insane crowds to get it started, really. And then a lot of people joined in once they saw others. I imagine similar things would've happened, but the loss probably pissed a few people off.

Doubt any of them were at the GNR riot. Most recent was actually in 1994, also over a Stanley Cup loss, but again, most of the people rioting were young kids back then. Mostly young people if you look at the pictures.

Irresponsible mayhem, no doubt. I'm glad I went downtown though, just so that I can say I was there when all of this went down. One of many observers.

El Gordo
06-18-2011, 07:18 AM
So happy the Bruins took the Cup home, and so happy the Canucks or "Canada's Team" got their asses handed to them. It also proved what I've been saying about Luongo for years, that he's not one of the best goalies in the league, that he's a choke artist and that the Canucks were foolish to sign him to such a long-term deal. Yes, I know he won the gold with Canada at the Olympics, but I think almost any competent goalie would have done fine once the team woke up after the loss to Russia. Anyway, the good guys won the Cup for the second year in a row and all is well in hockeyland. Except for Vancouver. The rioting was ridiculous, and the people responsible should be ashamed of themselves. Sadly, I don't think most of them are. I'd hate to see if this scenario ever plays out in Toronto. The entire downtown core would be burnt to the ground.

Maiden33
06-18-2011, 07:33 AM
All this series did was prove that at this point in the NHL, you goalie is EVERYTHING. Goalies aside, the Canucks were twice the team the Bruins were - it just so happened Tim Thomas is the best in the world right now and Luongo completely shit the bed.

jhdeity
06-18-2011, 09:20 AM
There was no purpose. The riot wasn't really started by hockey fans, I don't think. There were people with ski-masks and balaclavas ready w/ tools at the start of the 3rd period. Using the insane crowds to get it started, really. And then a lot of people joined in once they saw others. I imagine similar things would've happened, but the loss probably pissed a few people off.

Doubt any of them were at the GNR riot. Most recent was actually in 1994, also over a Stanley Cup loss, but again, most of the people rioting were young kids back then. Mostly young people if you look at the pictures.

Irresponsible mayhem, no doubt. I'm glad I went downtown though, just so that I can say I was there when all of this went down. One of many observers.

I'm never one to promote violence but that douchetool of a couple making out in the street while it was going on should have been Flashbanged just for being worthless fucking humans. I hate shit like that and people who promote it like it was something special. Those are the same people who go to dance studios and practice their 1st dance at their weeding and slap it on youtube. Idiotic Hipster Sheep.

PowerMaiden
06-18-2011, 10:36 AM
, the Canucks were twice the team the Bruins were - .

not in my book. We dominated them in Boston and we were pretty even in game 2 and 5. Dominated them again in game 7. They were on top of us only in game 1 imho. Agree that goaltending is really the most most important part of the game though...

that aside I just took my morning to watch the parade thanks to my NHL.Center ice package. i cried like a little girl

Go Bruins Go !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Maiden33
06-18-2011, 11:50 AM
not in my book. We dominated them in Boston and we were pretty even in game 2 and 5. Dominated them again in game 7. They were on top of us only in game 1 imho. Agree that goaltending is really the most most important part of the game though...

that aside I just took my morning to watch the parade thanks to my NHL.Center ice package. i cried like a little girl

Go Bruins Go !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I don't see how the B's dominated the Canucks in Game 7. Frankly I felt Vancouver outplayed them offensively, hence why they had almost twice as many shots on goal. I don't know if I've ever seen a hockey game where the score so poorly reflected the over play of the game itself. If it wasn't for Luongo's massive failure and Thomas's godlike performance, I think it would've easily been a one-goal game either way.

PowerMaiden
06-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I don't see how the B's dominated the Canucks in Game 7. Frankly I felt Vancouver outplayed them offensively, hence why they had almost twice as many shots on goal. I don't know if I've ever seen a hockey game where the score so poorly reflected the over play of the game itself. If it wasn't for Luongo's massive failure and Thomas's godlike performance, I think it would've easily been a one-goal game either way.

yeah you're maybe right for the first period but still there was no Canucks domination in that series, in fact to me it was the other way around where the best offence & power play of the season was shut down to almost nothing all series long

great victory for my Bruins !

finally I might add !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JLRedWing13
06-18-2011, 09:58 PM
Vancouver was clearly the better team in terms of speed and skill, but Boston's players were physical and grinding enough to wear them down and take them off their game. All in all though, Tim Thomas is far and away the main reason the Bruins have the Cup. Congrats to them.

El Gordo
06-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Vancouver was clearly the better team in terms of speed and skill, but Boston's players were physical and grinding enough to wear them down and take them off their game. All in all though, Tim Thomas is far and away the main reason the Bruins have the Cup. Congrats to them.

Basically this. Grit and toughness is just as important to being a great hockey team as skill and speed though. If Vancouver had spent less time whining and diving and more time crashing, banging and playing solid defensive hockey, the series may have turned out differently.

Northern_Shaman
06-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm never one to promote violence but that douchetool of a couple making out in the street while it was going on should have been Flashbanged just for being worthless fucking humans. I hate shit like that and people who promote it like it was something special. Those are the same people who go to dance studios and practice their 1st dance at their weeding and slap it on youtube. Idiotic Hipster Sheep.

Aaaand you get the award for passing judgment on something without knowing the story at all. Is the hype over the photo retarded? Yes. Is your post about the couple also retarded? Yes. The scumbag riot police actually hit the girl down to the ground and raised their batons to hit her when her boyfriend covered her to try and prevent her from being hurt. I was on the street as it happened. There was no rioting happening on that street. After being trampled by the police, she wasn't exactly able to hop up right away. And no, they didn't stay in the street making out. They kissed once after the police passed over and then he and someone else carried her off.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/06/17/vancouver-kissing-couple.html

And as for the game itself? Once again, GO BRUINS GO. People can say that Vancouver (my city) had a better team, but that's simply untrue. They might have had faster players, but Boston had a lot of attributes that Vancouver lacked. Solid hits and goaltending matter too.

El Gordo
06-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Aaaand you get the award for passing judgment on something without knowing the story at all. Is the hype over the photo retarded? Yes. Is your post about the couple also retarded? Yes. The scumbag riot police actually hit the girl down to the ground and raised their batons to hit her when her boyfriend covered her to try and prevent her from being hurt. I was on the street as it happened. There was no rioting happening on that street. After being trampled by the police, she wasn't exactly able to hop up right away. And no, they didn't stay in the street making out. They kissed once after the police passed over and then he and someone else carried her off.

Indeed. It was well documented like the next day that those two weren't just a couple of hammered sex-fiends, but that the dude was just comforting his girlfriend. Knowing the full story before saying something silly is good. :cool:

jhdeity
06-20-2011, 06:54 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2011/06/17/vancouver-kissing-couple.html

And as for the game itself? Once again, GO BRUINS GO. People can say that Vancouver (my city) had a better team, but that's simply untrue. They might have had faster players, but Boston had a lot of attributes that Vancouver lacked. Solid hits and goaltending matter too.

I've seen them on 4 shows now discussing this and how natural it was. Seriously? Sheep! I don't give a fuck what the story was it was not a heat of the moment moment it was a let's get on Dr. Phil moment and it worked masterfully because people are naive sheep. Don't be fooled Dude. Who does that? Seriously think about it. Would you help your girlfriend up or pick her up and get the fuck out of there or would you look up, see cameras and make a kodak moment? Do you really think they didn't know cameras were there? Really Dude?

As far as the series Vancouver totally dominated in my eyes. They has so many chances to score and anything but the best goalie on the planet lets up at least 3 goals that last game. Thomas was amazing and if he wasn't on a whole nother level, vancouver wins that series all day. He was other worldly! One of the best goaltending performances I've ever seen. My respect level for that guy couldn't possibly be higher right now.

powerslave_85
06-20-2011, 07:55 AM
I've seen them on 4 shows now discussing this and how natural it was. Seriously? Sheep! I don't give a fuck what the story was it was not a heat of the moment moment it was a let's get on Dr. Phil moment and it worked masterfully because people are naive sheep. Don't be fooled Dude. Who does that? Seriously think about it. Would you help your girlfriend up or pick her up and get the fuck out of there or would you look up, see cameras and make a kodak moment? Do you really think they didn't know cameras were there? Really Dude?

As far as the series Vancouver totally dominated in my eyes. They has so many chances to score and anything but the best goalie on the planet lets up at least 3 goals that last game. Thomas was amazing and if he wasn't on a whole nother level, vancouver wins that series all day. He was other worldly! One of the best goaltending performances I've ever seen. My respect level for that guy couldn't possibly be higher right now.
Wow. First off, you need to sit down and take a deep breath if you're that pissed off about a silly photo. Maybe channel that anger to the douchenozzles that trashed the city instead.

Secondly, you can talk about scoring chances all you want, but I can't possibly see how you can say that a team that was outscored 23-8 in the series "dominated." Yes, Tim Thomas was the difference maker, but you can't put everything on the goalies. When you lose 8-1, you have problems that go far beyond goaltending.

jhdeity
06-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Wow. First off, you need to sit down and take a deep breath if you're that pissed off about a silly photo. Maybe channel that anger to the douchenozzles that trashed the city instead.

Secondly, you can talk about scoring chances all you want, but I can't possibly see how you can say that a team that was outscored 23-8 in the series "dominated." Yes, Tim Thomas was the difference maker, but you can't put everything on the goalies. When you lose 8-1, you have problems that go far beyond goaltending.

As far as the photo when I posted my thoughts initially it was more out of disgust that I was going to have to hear the origin and the bullshit story that was going to be sold to the media to get them on every talkshow in North America. Never in a million years did I expect someone to drink the kool aid and buy that idiotic story and defend these assclowns. So when I read that my disgust turned to bewilderment actually.

You can talk goal numbers but the shots on goal and especially QUALITY shots on goal was a total landslide. My point was if Thomas were the Goalie for Vancouver the series might not go 6 games. He made magnificent save after magnificent save. Luongo on the other hand was a total sieve.

powerslave_85
06-20-2011, 12:25 PM
It's pointless to talk up the stats sheet when the team in question gets shut out 4-0. Yes, Thomas was standing on his head. But the Canucks' powerplay was atrocious and they took shitty penalties. They got outplayed, regardless of how many shots they took.

And yes, I can "talk goal numbers," because the last time I checked your name doesn't get engraved on the Cup if you don't score more goals than the other team.

Maiden33
06-20-2011, 12:42 PM
You can talk whatever stats you want, but at the end of the day, the goalies determined the series. If Thomas played for Vancouver and Luongo for Boston, I would bet all my possessions on the outcome being switched. And yes, I know: "HUR DUR Well Boston won, so nitpicking is irrelevant" - but I disagree, there's a LOT more to analyze than who won or lost, or the exact number of goals scored. Truth be told, the way Luongo played through the majority of that series, a good half of the teams in the league would've lit him up.

powerslave_85
06-20-2011, 01:03 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm more sensitive than most to this situation, because the Caps are often in the same boat (in terms of people saying "they dominated the game, even though they lost"). It's slightly different, since goaltending is rarely a serious problem for us, but I think it's a simplistic excuse that ignores more pressing issues and mistakes.

jhdeity
06-20-2011, 02:01 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm more sensitive than most to this situation, because the Caps are often in the same boat (in terms of people saying "they dominated the game, even though they lost"). It's slightly different, since goaltending is rarely a serious problem for us, but I think it's a simplistic excuse that ignores more pressing issues and mistakes.

While I agree totally with Maiden as a Caps fan also it was easy to see why we lost to Tampa. They sinply wanted it more. They skated circles around us, beating us to every loose puck and just looking like they were in total desperation mode the entire series. Ovie needs to stay out of the bars and hopefully next year someone else steps up. So many players vanished during that series that it was sickening to me.

I'm not trying to give 100% of the credit to Tim Thomas but 70% isn't far off. He was beyond incredible. 4-0 doesn't mean much to me when if Vancouver had just scored 1 of those early "incredible save" goals it would have changed the entire flow of the game. Once they got down 2-0 they knew they were done. Just my 2 cents.

JLRedWing13
06-20-2011, 04:01 PM
A goalie can be the difference between losing in the first round and being a Cup champion, and it sure as hell was here. Let's not forget, Boston won two Game 7's prior to the Finals, and against two really good goalies to boot. Thomas outplayed Carey Price in Game 7 of round 1 (Bruins won in OT), then outplayed Dwayne Roloson in the conference finals (Bruins won 1-0).

As a Wings fan, I have seen many, many instances in the playoffs where I thought we were the better team, but their goalie stood on his head and the opponent was opportunistic in their chances to score. Examples include JS Giguere carrying the Anaheim Mighty Ducks from a 7th seed all the way to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2003, Miikka Kiprusoff doing the same thing for the Calgary Flames in 2004, and Dwayne Roloson accomplishing this same feat in 2006, when the Edmonton Oilers were the EIGHTH seed. Your goalie really can steal more than a game for you in the playoffs.

This is what happened in the finals. Hell, Boston almost stole one or both of the first two games in Vancouver. But they kept grinding away and finally got Luongo and the Canucks to crack. Full credit to them. It was a pretty big upset in my eyes.

jhdeity
06-22-2011, 07:10 AM
A goalie can be the difference between losing in the first round and being a Cup champion, and it sure as hell was here. Let's not forget, Boston won two Game 7's prior to the Finals, and against two really good goalies to boot. Thomas outplayed Carey Price in Game 7 of round 1 (Bruins won in OT), then outplayed Dwayne Roloson in the conference finals (Bruins won 1-0).

As a Wings fan, I have seen many, many instances in the playoffs where I thought we were the better team, but their goalie stood on his head and the opponent was opportunistic in their chances to score. Examples include JS Giguere carrying the Anaheim Mighty Ducks from a 7th seed all the way to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals in 2003, Miikka Kiprusoff doing the same thing for the Calgary Flames in 2004, and Dwayne Roloson accomplishing this same feat in 2006, when the Edmonton Oilers were the EIGHTH seed. Your goalie really can steal more than a game for you in the playoffs.

This is what happened in the finals. Hell, Boston almost stole one or both of the first two games in Vancouver. But they kept grinding away and finally got Luongo and the Canucks to crack. Full credit to them. It was a pretty big upset in my eyes.

This

El Gordo
06-22-2011, 06:13 PM
But they kept grinding away and finally got Luongo and the Canucks to crack.

Honestly, this isn't that big a feat. Chicago has done it the past three years (don't forget Vancouver was an overtime goal away from being eliminated in the first round this year). That's why I never bought into the hype of Vancouver being the Cup favourites. The Bruins didn't 'grind away' at the Canucks, they simply played their game and the inevitable happened - Luongo shit his pants, the 'deep' Vancouver defense disappeared and all their players got frustrated and off their game. The Canucks of today are basically the Senators of a few years ago - play big in the regular season and get smaller and smaller with every successive playoff round.

El Gordo
09-04-2011, 11:18 AM
As hockey season is quickly approaching, anybody have any thoughts on what we'll see this year?

I don't think my beloved Blackhawks will repeat this year, but they'll be among the best in the West again. The Leafs will suck only slightly less than last year. My pick for the Cup is Boston -- would be nice to see another Original 6 team take it.

I kinda forgot I said this, but there it is lol