PDA

View Full Version : ProgPower USA XII

JuuKun
09-10-2010, 11:07 PM
Lineup announced via video played after Kamelot's set at tonight's show, with Glenn tweeting the bands as they were announced.

September 14th - 17th, 2011

WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14TH
Evergrey (Acoustic)

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 15TH
Evergrey
Vanden Plas

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 16TH
Creation's End
Darkwater
Voyager
Eldritch
Mob Rules
Arcturus
Sanctuary

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 17TH
Haken
While Heaven Wept
Red Circuit
Labyrinth
Dream Evil
Therion

Really good lineup IMO. Seeing Therion is pretty much one of my life goals, so if I can make it down next year, I'd like to.

Derelict
09-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Arcturus? HOLY SHIT. I wonder who's in the band?

maidenpriest
09-10-2010, 11:25 PM
as much as i love Sanctuary i feel like it would be a weak headliner with only two albums to play off of. Therion would be awesome to see though.

Maiden33
09-11-2010, 03:33 AM
Easily the worst festival lineup ever. Jesus fucking christ. ONE band I genuinely want to see? Wow.

DethMaiden
09-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Arcturus, Sanctuary, While Heaven Wept, Therion? ProgPower is really trying to distance itself from, well, prog and power.

IrritatedTrout
09-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Arcturus is awesome.

JuuKun
09-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Arcturus is awesome.

That they are. Glenn's taking a risk putting this year's oddball band in such a high slot, but if I make it down to the show, I'll be so glad he did.

I do admit, though, when he gave out a hint saying that one of the high slot bands was an oddball, I immediately thought Ihsahn and I'm sort of disappointed that it's not him, but I never even thought Arcturus was a possibility.

Derelict
09-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Is Garm involved? Or maybe Vortex since dimmu kicked him out? His vox on the chaos path is one of the coolest things I've ever heard.

JuuKun
09-11-2010, 02:05 PM
Is Garm involved? Or maybe Vortex since dimmu kicked him out? His vox on the chaos path is one of the coolest things I've ever heard.

No idea. Almost definitely Vortex, though. Just found an interview with him from last October discussing what he was going to do next:

"And for those wondering about the revival of Arcturus, I was told by an alien that 2011 is a lucky number..."

Since he's talking about it, I'd assume he's involved. I'm sure there'll be a press release soon enough.

SomewhereInTime72
09-11-2010, 02:09 PM
Arcturus, Sanctuary, While Heaven Wept, Therion? ProgPower is really trying to distance itself from, well, prog and power.

This.

Now, I like Therion and all but.

Wtf is this line up.

Maiden33
09-11-2010, 10:08 PM
I hope they're looking forward to moving 800 tickets this year, because that's all I figure they'll do. They can't even dream of a sell-out with a lineup like that.

I'll reiterate. What a joke. I hate the fact that this festival has gotten so up its own ass with trying to please every single facet of the community that it is in turn pleasing essentially no one.

Seriously, what the fuck kind of bands are Voyager, Red Circuit, Eldritch, and Creation's End (whose debut album isn't even out, mind you) for "lesser known" traditional-festival-style acts? Let me not even mention that Voyager being the first-ever Australian band on the festival is a joke in and of itself. Labyrinth is the ONLY band on the entire bill I would consider paying $20+ and driving 2+ hours to see on their own. That is EASILY an all-time low in the history of the festival. Long gone are the days of 10 band lineups where I would've genuinely wanted/loved to see 7-8 or more of the bands. I feel these lineups are just going to keep getting worse until Glenn eventually does his Finale Blowout year for the end of the festival.

MPF
09-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Much more appealing to me thin this years ProgPower, but still not enough to make me want to go.

JuuKun
09-12-2010, 09:00 AM
Seriously, what the fuck kind of bands are Voyager, Red Circuit, Eldritch, and Creation's End (whose debut album isn't even out, mind you) for "lesser known" traditional-festival-style acts?

Out of those four, I'm only familiar with Eldritch, and I'm actually really curious as to why you don't think they're acceptable for the festival? They fit right in to the Prog/Power genres...

mankvill
09-12-2010, 09:36 AM
I'd go for Arcturus!

Maiden33
09-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Out of those four, I'm only familiar with Eldritch, and I'm actually really curious as to why you don't think they're acceptable for the festival? They fit right in to the Prog/Power genres...

Stylistically, they do fit. It's just that I find all of those bands to be really weak selections as far as "traditional-style" bands of lesser stature are concerned.

ravenheart
09-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Lineup announced via video played after Kamelot's set at tonight's show, with Glenn tweeting the bands as they were announced.

Dates TBA, most likely in the next few days.

FRIDAY
Creation's End
Voyager
Eldritch
Mob Rules
Arcturus
Sanctuary

SATURDAY
Haken
While Heaven Wept
Red Circuit
Labyrinth
Dream Evil
Therion

Really good lineup IMO. Seeing Therion is pretty much one of my life goals, so if I can make it down next year, I'd like to.

Superb line-up. I'd certainly go to this.

ravenheart
09-12-2010, 11:23 AM
ONE band I genuinely want to see? Wow.

That is no reflection of the quality of the line-up at all.

I would expect this to sell out on Therion and Sanctuary alone. Hell, Sanctuary alone.

DethMaiden
09-12-2010, 11:27 AM
I do think that the variety of genres represented hurts the festival, though. It's pretty much exclusively a destination gig unless you happen to live in Atlanta, and for people to want to spend that kind of money and make that trip and pay for that hotel room for three nights, they need to like a lot of the bands on the bill. I'd assume there aren't many people who are equally enthusiastic about Arcturus and Labyrinth.

ravenheart
09-12-2010, 11:30 AM

Erm, all of those bands fit... I don't get the issue. This will be Therion's third PP franchise appearance, I believe.

ravenheart
09-12-2010, 11:32 AM
I do think that the variety of genres represented hurts the festival, though.

I don't. This is exactly the formula that's kept PP going in Europe. I don't see a single band on that bill that don't belong there.

DethMaiden
09-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't. This is exactly the formula that's kept PP going in Europe. I don't see a single band on that bill that don't belong there.

Well, I'm not saying it wouldn't help my chances of going. A similarly structured lineup with bands I liked more would get me down there a lot sooner than the kinds of lineups the festival is known for. But I don't think the kind of people who go to ProgPower are the kind of people who really want a lot of diversity on the bill, frankly. That's all.

Maiden33
09-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Ultimately, I think Brad is making the right point. Overall more diversity is probably the best way to attempt to bring in new people, but it's next to impossible to fill out a diverse bill with the "right" bands to actually make that work. Instead what's happening is that there's far too much diversity to make the lineup work for people in the festival's "traditional" style bracket. Being that yes, 75% of the people going each year travel and thusly spend upwards of $1,000 on the whole thing. That's a lot to ask if people only genuinely want to see 1/3 of the lineup or less. Sure, it can be a fun way to give new bands a shot, but the bottom line is that I (as well as most people I know) are not going to drop that sort of money on traveling to a festival where they only want to see 2 or 3 bands on the whole bill. Especially considering even the bands on this bill I actually like aren't even close to being any of my favorite bands or anything.

Ultimately this lineup is missing one major "bread and butter" type band that is perfectly within the festival's style and tradition, that is sure to fill seats solely on their inclusion. Examples would have been Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Evergrey, Kamelot, Angra, or something else to that effect. In order to make a lineup like this work, I think they really need to nail down each night with a headliner like that.

DethMaiden
09-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Ultimately, I think Brad is making the right point. Overall more diversity is probably the best way to attempt to bring in new people, but it's next to impossible to fill out a diverse bill with the "right" bands to actually make that work. Instead what's happening is that there's far too much diversity to make the lineup work for people in the festival's "traditional" style bracket. Being that yes, 75% of the people going each year travel and thusly spend upwards of $1,000 on the whole thing. That's a lot to ask if people only genuinely want to see 1/3 of the lineup or less. Sure, it can be a fun way to give new bands a shot, but the bottom line is that I (as well as most people I know) are not going to drop that sort of money on traveling to a festival where they only want to see 2 or 3 bands on the whole bill. Especially considering even the bands on this bill I actually like aren't even close to being any of my favorite bands or anything.

Ultimately this lineup is missing one major "bread and butter" type band that is perfectly within the festival's style and tradition, that is sure to fill seats solely on their inclusion. Examples would have been Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Evergrey, Kamelot, Angra, or something else to that effect. In order to make a lineup like this work, I think they really need to nail down each night with a headliner like that.

Exactly. Does this lineup not include headliners? Because throwing SX on one night and BG on the other would do a lot to save face.

Maiden33
09-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Exactly. Does this lineup not include headliners? Because throwing SX on one night and BG on the other would do a lot to save face.

No, this is the whole thing. At least for now. This year's lineup was originally 12 bands too.I just doubt they'd add headliners over the ones already booked. It would kinda be a slap in the face the guarantee someone headliner status and then take it away.

mankvill
09-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Jeff: Do you like Helstar? I think they'd be awesome for PP!

Maiden33
09-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Jeff: Do you like Helstar? I think they'd be awesome for PP!

Not really, but they would be a decent fit now that they've started to really branch out into the whole "US power/true metal" bracket via Accept, Ross the Boss, etc. I just wish they'd separate it onto its own night. A Thursday night show of bands like Saxon, Riot, Armored Saint, etc. would be amazing.

JuuKun
09-12-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145919

Press release. Dates are September 14th - 17th.

Akumu
10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I know somebody here who'll be happy with this...

ďAn Evening with Evergrey and Vanden PlasĒ has been announced for the ProgPower USA XII Kick-Off Show on Thursday, Sept 15th as part of the annual eventís festivities. The returning fan favorites will co-headline the night and will each perform a 90+ minute special set. There will be no opening act.
In addition, Evergrey will perform an acoustic show as part of Mid-Week Mayhem on Wednesday, Sept 14th with metal karaoke immediately following to round out the night. Due to the intimate nature of the setting, only 200 tickets will be made available to the public.

JuuKun
10-27-2010, 04:42 PM
This is absolutely, absolutely amazing. I already LOVED next year's lineup, but 90+ minute sets from both Vanden Plas and Evergrey on Thursday made it just that much better. I'm really hoping I can make it down.

Tickets for the Kick-Off won't be made available until May, after visas and everything are taken care of. Glenn says they don't anticipate any more visa issues for Vanden Plas though. They were originally set to headline Thursday the year I went and got turned away after landing in Detroit, so it'd be awesome to finally get to see them!

es156
10-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Very nice. Those 2 should do some other U.S. shows while they are over here.

Maiden33
10-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Will be driving down on Tuesday, seeing Wednesday/Thursday, driving back on Friday. Will be well worth every penny spent. End of story. :party:

maidenpriest
10-29-2010, 12:45 AM
not fair!!! i want to see Vanden Plas live!!!! :'(

darkguardian50
10-29-2010, 02:40 AM
Well despite the nay sayers (have you HEARD Sitra Ahra?) this may be the first progpower I make it to. Therion has already said they may not tour the USA ever again so festival appearances are the only chance to see them. And they are seriously an absolutely amazing live band. Sanctuary is also a great headliner. I don't see the problem here. Maybe they could have done Blind Guardian Headline and then Sanctuary right before but I think this is still gonna sell out no problem.

DementedX14
02-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Here is an updated poster...

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/soulflypremiere/progpowerusadark.jpg

Looks cool, wish I could go. :(

gilpdawg
02-12-2011, 11:49 PM
I know. One of my life goals is to make it to that thing one day.

ravenheart
02-13-2011, 04:54 AM
Looks cool, wish I could go. :(

Agreed. This is one of the most interesting line-ups they've ever put together.

Akumu
02-13-2011, 03:49 PM
Got a gold badge this year. I'm pretty stoked. :party:

ravenheart
03-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Apparently Evergrey will play the entire 'In Search of Truth' album at the pre-party show.

Rocco44
03-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Apparently Evergrey will play the entire 'In Search of Truth' album at the pre-party show.

Great freaking album. Wish I could be there.

Akumu
03-05-2011, 08:35 PM
508 tickets sold in the first ten hours. Cool.

ravenheart
08-20-2011, 07:39 AM
An awesome line-up just got even better. Dream Evil out, Forbidden in.

coltongsmith
08-20-2011, 09:42 AM

Wrong. Dream Evil is amazing and were the whole dam reason i was gonna go. Forbidden is good but no well near the quality. Might leave before them and go see Buckethead down the street at the Masq.

mankvill
08-20-2011, 10:42 AM

Weird

ravenheart
08-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Wrong. Dream Evil is amazing and were the whole dam reason i was gonna go. Forbidden is good but no well near the quality. Might leave before them and go see Buckethead down the street at the Masq.

Not wrong in the least. Dream Evil are incredibly tedious live. It's rare for Nik Isfeldt to even mentally turn up. And they haven't released a really good record for seven years either.

And Forbidden aren't anywhere near the quality of Dream Evil? I like Dream Evil, but that's laughable.