PDA

View Full Version : HOLY FU*K...MIKE PORTNOY QUITS DREAM THEATER!!!

MPF
09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Wednesday September 8th 2010 *Taken from MP's Forum*

I am about to write something I never imagined I'd ever write:

After 25 years, I have decided to leave Dream Theater....the band I founded, led and truly loved for a quarter of a century.

To many people this will come as a complete shock, and will also likely be misunderstood by some, but please believe me that it is not a hasty decision...it is something I have struggled with for the last year or so....

After having had such amazing experiences playing with Hail, Transatlantic and Avenged Sevenfold this past year, I have sadly come to the conclusion that I have recently had more fun and better personal relations with these other projects than I have for a while now in Dream Theater...

Please don't misinterpret me, I love the DT guys dearly and have a long history, friendship and bond that runs incredibly deep with them...it's just that I think we are in serious need of a little break...

Dream Theater was always my baby...and I nurtured that baby every single day and waking moment of my life since 1985...24/7, 365...never taking time off from DT's never-ending responsibilites (even when the band was "off" between cycles)...working overtime and way beyond the call of duty that most sane people ever would do for a band...

But I've come to the conclusion that the DT machine was starting to burn me out...and I really needed a break from the band in order to save my relationship with the other members and keep my DT spirit hungry and inspired.

We have been on an endless write/record/tour cycle for almost 20 years now (of which I have overseen EVERY aspect without a break) and while a few months apart from each other here & there over the years has been much needed and helpful, I honestly hoped the band could simply agree with me to taking a bit of a "hiatus" to recharge our batteries and "save me from ourselves"...

Sadly, in discussing this with the guys, they determined they do not share my feelings and have decided to continue without me rather than take a breather...I even offered to do some occasional work throughout 2011 against my initial wishes, but it was not to be...

While it truly hurts for me to even think of a Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy (hell, my father named the band!!), I do not want to stand in their way...so I have decided to sacrifice myself and simply leave the band so as to not hold them back against their wishes....

Strangely enough, I just read an interview that I recently did that asked me about the future of DT and I talked about "always following your heart and being true to yourself"...sadly I must say that at this particular moment, my heart is not with Dream Theater...and I would simply be "going through the motions", and would honestly NOT be true to myself if I stayed for the sake of obligation without taking the break I felt I needed.

I wish the guys the best and hope the music and legacy we created together is enjoyed by fans for decades to come...I am proud of every album we made, every song we wrote and every show we played....

I'm sorry to all the disappointed DT fans around the world...I really tried to salvage the situation and make it work...I honestly just wanted a break (not a split)...but happiness cannot be forced, it needs to come from within....

You DT fans are the greatest fans in the world and as you all know, I have always busted my ass for you guys and I hope that you will stay with me on my future musical journey, wherever it may lead me....(and as you all know my work ethic, there will surely be no shortage of future MP projects!)

Sadly...
Your fearless ex-leader and drummer,
MP

"Move on be brave, don't weep at my grave, because I am no longer here...
But please never let your memory of me disappear...."
--- The Spirit Carries On

NecroRob
09-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Umm wtf? He had more fun in A7x? :hecho:

Sanitarium78
09-08-2010, 04:40 PM
WHAT?!?! ARE YOU FUCKIN SERIOUS? Where the hell did this come from?. I'm in shock right now:eek:

This is kind of sad news but if his heart isn't in it anymore than it's the right call:wow:

Who the fuck replaces him in DT now? I know there's probably a good amount of talented drummers out there to choose from, but damn.

powerslave_85
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
It's as if a million prog fans cried out, and were suddenly silenced.

Davemeistro
I know everyone will disagree with me, but I think this is good news. I personally hate how Portnoy drums, and I think he gets WAY too much praise for how average he is.

Maiden33
Wow, I am truly near speechless right now. Talk about music headlines you never dreamed you would read.

I am one of the few who probably sees this as potential more of a positive than a negative. I hope this sees John Myung get involved more with writing again, and maybe them expel some of the annoying "Metallica-goes-Prog" influence that I always felt was Portnoy's shtick.

As for replacements? I have no idea. There's always the possibility the guys could attempt to seek out the world's greatest undiscovered drummer or something, but if they don't, I'm thinking maybe Mark Zonder or Bobby Jarzombek. Definitely the first two names that come to mind for metal drummers I know could probably handle the task at hand.

SirLardsAlot
09-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Lolz! Seen 'em twice and I don't even like them!

Dextrimental
09-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Fucking insane, never thought he would quit. Its like Lars quitting Metallica or something, though Portnoy is in another WORLD of drumming skill.

Axis_Of_Metal
09-08-2010, 05:07 PM
WOW........I can't even think right now

PlaysWithKnives
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
As a big DT fan for many years, this comes as a gigantic shock. What the fuck? I understand needing the break. But what kind of real break is he taking if he wants to do these other projects. There is probably some descension we don't know about. A7x has been more enjoyable for him? Really? Don't get me statrted on those douchbags. Anyway, he's a great drummer. Who in the hell replaces him? The music will suffer. That's cool of him to be honest with fans. I do hope what he's doing will make him happy. I'm sure he will be back with DT down the road, sooner or later.

Indestructible
09-08-2010, 05:19 PM
It's possible there could be some tension between mike and the rest of Dream Theater right now if he has more fun with the ones in his other bands.

makethemsuffer12
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
What... the... fuck...?

Well, at least we don't have to deal with his terrible singing anymore :lol:

holy_nick1991
09-08-2010, 05:32 PM
He's gonna have to change his name to something stupid like the douchebags in A7X haha...sad as fuck

PlaysWithKnives
09-08-2010, 05:33 PM
It's possible there could be some tension between mike and the rest of Dream Theater right now if he has more fun with the ones in his other bands.

Yes I was thinking that too. And why do you keep following me? I'm going to drink some water with flouride in it now :D

thegame747
09-08-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm going to have a different opinion against a lot of people on this site, but I just need to get my views out there because this is huge for me.

I'm obviously surprised, but i'm gonna have to tell the truth. After seeing Dream Theater recently twice now, I could kind of see him simply going through the motions. He wasn't really as into it as usual, and he was trying to step it up for Iron Maiden's tour, but he barely got a response from the crowd if you ask me.

I saw him with Avenged Sevenfold this summer, and I gotta tell you, he seemed happier. I've read twitter updates and statuses, and it just seems like he really did have more fun with them. I'll always like Dream Theater more than Avenged Sevenfold, but damn, A7X puts on an unbelievable live performance, especially with him backing them. Believe me, he got a taste of headlining an arena in front of a sold out crowd, and he liked it. I can't blame him one bit. Is Mike Portnoy one of the greatest drummers ever? He's great, but he's not the best. Has he influenced me unbelievably as a drummer? Absolutely.

Dream Theater has always been a great band. But Portnoy is the one who is the soul of the band. Not only is he a talented player, but he is also the one who does the press and planning for the band. If you ask me, Dream Theater won't make it through 2011 without Mike. When I thought of Progressive Nation, I thought Mike Portnoy.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I'm sure many with disagree with some of what I may believe, but that's my 2 cents.

Indestructible
09-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Yes I was thinking that too. And why do you keep following me? I'm going to drink some water with flouride in it now :D

I wouldnt recomend fluoride but the choice is yours. Maybe mike drank to much fluoride and thats why he quit.
Also im not following you dream theater is one of my favorite bands so im going to comment when I hear Mike Portnoy left the band.

PowerMaiden
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
I guess he finally realised how boring they were in concert. They have good songs but in concert you need more ...half the crowd is asleep during their shows

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

treghet
09-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Wow. I really don't understand why he is leaving. Yes, he says his heart isn't with Dream Theater anymore, but why? He has had more breaks than a lot of people in bands get, but wants to go on hiatus? I think this needs a bit more explaining on his part, and possibly the other members. It's just insane to think that after that many years, he's just going to walk away.

treghet
09-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I saw him with Avenged Sevenfold this summer, and I gotta tell you, he seemed happier.

Maybe they make him feel more young and angsty. :lol:

makethemsuffer12
09-08-2010, 05:38 PM
I guess he finally realised how boring they were in concert. They have good songs but in concert you need more ...half the crowd is asleep during their shows

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Die.

Indestructible
09-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

They were great when I saw them in July the crowd was into it. They were great when I saw them open for maiden a week later. Maybe you caught them last summer when all they did was jam threw half the set.

Dissimulate
09-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Fuck. FUCK. Holy fucking fuck. Seriously. FUCK. This better not fuck the band up. FUCK.

ChildrenofSodom
09-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I've seen Dream Theater twice and was never really impressed. Get a less flamboyant drummer and terminate the keyboardist position, and maybe I'd listen. I know prog nerds are cutting their wrists right now, but whatever. Also glad he isn't in the latest news about Wilson/Akerfeldt project.

mankvill
09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I'd be happier playing in A7X too.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wizzbang11
Meh.
DT arent that good. Wish they had lost the vocalist.

ChildrenofSodom

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah dude, they're living large.:tp:

PowerMaiden
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
I mean their kind of long boring endless songs do not work well live to get a crowd really into it apeshit style. They are great players to their respective instrument don't get me wrong. But maybe he recently saw with these others bands & especially with a Maiden crowd what is a real heavy metal concert experience

my 2 cents

ok, I'm outta here :bliss:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

mankvill
09-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah dude, they're living large.:tp:

You're kidding, right?

A7X makes stupid insane amounts of money.

DethMaiden
09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
This comes as a surprise, but I guess I don't really care. Their last album was very good and they were great opening for Maiden, hopefully losing Portnoy won't change any of that in the near future. Maybe the songwriting will improve, if anything.

treghet
09-08-2010, 05:55 PM
This comes as a surprise, but I guess I don't really care. Their last album was very good and they were great opening for Maiden, hopefully losing Portnoy won't change any of that in the near future. Maybe the songwriting will improve, if anything.

I honestly don't care either. In my opinion the band has been putting out mediocre albums for a while (the most recent being the best of those). Sometimes when I listen to newer Dream Theater I feel like I'm listening to insane circus music - WAY too much going on at once. They need to write songs with melody, and no crazy keyboard solos. IE: their early albums.

Dissimulate
09-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Having calmed down more, I am now able to accept this happening. Yes, it is a blow to the band, and yes, it will turn out to be a stupid move. Avenged Sevenfold will not be this big for long. However, Dream Theater has three other great musicians (and the vocalist) who I am sure can fill the void. Barring Portnoy reconsidering, I am sure they will be able to replace him.

Sanitarium78
09-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Portnoy is probably making some good money with A7X but let's not act like the man was in the poor house before this happened. He was part of one the most consistantly successful prog metal bands ever. They came out with an album every two years that always had respectable sales. Their tours around the world have always been successful. Also, Portnoy's has numerous song writting credits with DT so he see's some money off every album sold.

The money is probably better in A7X. He can lower his standards musically and maybe teach some young guys how to actually write a tolerable song and get paid more than in DT. But it's not like he was starving for cash before this. I'm not saying money isn't a big reason he decided to leave DT but for him to do it so abruptly, at least as far as the fans are conserned, there's something more to it than that.

MPF
09-08-2010, 06:00 PM
It's funny, as soon as I posted this on facebook, I had 5 people now say that I should try to audition for Dream Theater.

MP's my biggest inspiration, but getting a chance like that is as likely as a midget winning a NBA Slam Dunk Contest.

PlaysWithKnives
09-08-2010, 06:05 PM
He's gonna have to change his name to something stupid like the douchebags in A7X haha...sad as fuck

Yeah. M. Thundergod :D

Sanitarium78
09-08-2010, 06:05 PM
It's funny, as soon as I posted this on facebook, I had 5 people now say that I should try to audition for Dream Theater.

MP's my biggest inspiration, but getting a chance like that is as likely as a midget winning a NBA Slam Dunk Contest.

Well, how good are you? Are you able to play any of DT's songs at all? If you're any good it's a least worth a shot.

Dissimulate
09-08-2010, 06:07 PM
I also managed to breathe a sigh of relief now that they probably won't do the 12 Step Suite live. Was it Portnoy who was bitching about doing An Evening With...? They might do that now.

SomewhereInTime72
09-08-2010, 06:07 PM
Damn, I don't even like them and I think that's kinda nuts.

PlaysWithKnives
09-08-2010, 06:11 PM

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah. They make ridiculous money. But its not like Portnoy is starving for cash. Its not a7x money but DT makes a good buck too.

MPF
09-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Well, how good are you? Are you able to play any of DT's songs at all? If you're any good it's a least worth a shot.

Well I've been learning DT's material since the day I bought Train Of Thought a week after it came out. The day I also bought Opeth's Deliverance and I discovered Prog.

There was one point in time, sans all the drums and cymbals that I could play Train Of Thought front to back. But since I started my own band I haven't been keeping up my DT chops.

Without sounding like an egotistical jackass, I can play almost if not all of DT's songs on the drums. I just don't have as many drums and cymbals.

Now that my band has a video camera, it might be worth putting up some DT covers on youtube. It couldn't hurt.

Also Mike said that the only name he'll use on stage is Mike Portnoy. He was talking about Captain Bluebeard for a while, but that was a Mike Portnoy Forum joke...along with The Rabbi.

Dextrimental
09-08-2010, 06:19 PM
I think it would be cool if he worked with Avenged Sevenfold more, they've done some cool things, and as a band know some shit, and he could take them further, not that they need it, regardless of your opinion of them, they have some skill on their instruments. Synster is a great guitarist, the Rev was an all around great musician, Shadows is a pretty dam good piano player.

ChildrenofSodom
09-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Sometimes when I listen to newer Dream Theater I feel like I'm listening to insane circus music - WAY too much going on at once. They need to write songs with melody, and no crazy keyboard solos. IE: their early albums.

This. I don't need the keyboardist to come out for a keytar solo. Just play some goddamn rock n roll, man.

daimonos
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
As a drummer, I can understand how he is having more fun playing with Avenged Sevenfold. Sometimes it's alot more fun just to rock out and have a good time rather than concentrate on fucked up time signatures through a 10 minute song.

JLRedWing13
09-08-2010, 06:25 PM
*sigh*

He'll be back.

Sanitarium78
09-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Well I've been learning DT's material since the day I bought Train Of Thought a week after it came out. The day I also bought Opeth's Deliverance and I discovered Prog.

There was one point in time, sans all the drums and cymbals that I could play Train Of Thought front to back. But since I started my own band I haven't been keeping up my DT chops.

Without sounding like an egotistical jackass, I can play almost if not all of DT's songs on the drums. I just don't have as many drums and cymbals.

Now that my band has a video camera, it might be worth putting up some DT covers on youtube. It couldn't hurt.

If you know most of their stuff on drums than it's worth a shot. At the very least you can tell people you once auditioned for Dream Theater:D

MPF
09-08-2010, 06:32 PM
If you know most of their stuff on drums than it's worth a shot. At the very least you can tell people you once auditioned for Dream Theater:D

That would be pretty sweet. I'm going to see if I can record some DT covers tomorrow for shits and giggles. Maybe something could happen, maybe it won't. It's all worth a shot.

ChildrenofSodom
09-08-2010, 07:02 PM
That would be pretty sweet. I'm going to see if I can record some DT covers tomorrow for shits and giggles. Maybe something could happen, maybe it won't. It's all worth a shot.

Link me bro.

MPF
09-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Link me bro.

Well I don't have any drum covers of me, but if you wanna hear me play with my original band, Shattered check out youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ShatteredMetal1

If you watch the first two parts of the documentary, that's me recording our debut album which will hopefully be out in October. If you keep looking through the videos you'll see practice videos, live songs, and a demo EP which we learned that we needed a producer to kick our ass into high gear.

idrinkwine732
09-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Excellent job. I'm proud of you, son ;):cool:.
I hope this sees John Myung get involved more with writing again
That would be great. I think Myung deserves so much more credit for his work with Dream Theater. Guy's incredible.
*sigh*

He'll be back.
I believe this is true. The gimmick of him playing with Avenged Sevenfold will dry up soon, and then he will return to Dream Theater. Until then though, this could get interesting.

maidenpriest
09-08-2010, 07:26 PM
='(

Maiden33
09-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I figure as far as a replacement is concerned, the guys will go one of two paths:

1) Try to seek out the world's greatest undiscovered Prog Metal drummer and make him the happiest person in the world

or

2) Go the route of seeking one of Prog Metal's more respectable but less committed players, such as the godlike Mark Zonder or Bobby Jarzombek. There are a lot of drummers out there who could probably fill Portnoy's shoes in the technical sense, even if 95% of the band's fans are so far up Mike's ass to ever give a replacement a chance.

maidenpriest
09-08-2010, 07:35 PM
i LOVE mikes drumming but i would gladly accept those replacements. especially Zonder.

Dissimulate
09-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Making a prediction:

One of many things could happen. The first is that Portnoy will be permanently satisfied with other musical pursuits. This is extremely unlikely, especially with Avenged Sevenfold. The second is that bad blood will build up between Portnoy and the others, and Portnoy will never return regardless of his desires. However, I think it extremely likely that Portnoy will return. It is possible that they find a replacement drummer that they are totally satisfied with, but this isn't very likely either. He could also have a quick change of heart, and return in a few days/weeks.

The most likely scenario: Portnoy returns in a few years. The next DT album written without Portnoy could be great, or a total failure. Nobody knows yet. Whoever DT get as a replacement will probably be a session/touring musician. Even if Portnoy does not show inclinations towards returning, it will be unspoken that the job is truly his and he can return at any time. (The best example of this would be Korn). After a year or two, Portnoy is no longer burnt out and/or creatively unsatisfied, and returns.

Maiden33
09-08-2010, 07:40 PM
i LOVE mikes drumming but i would gladly accept those replacements. especially Zonder.

I would personally be so stoked to see Jarzombek get the gig, because I've been singing his praises as one of the best drummers in the world for years to receive mostly dumbfounded looks in return. Sadly he's given up a lot of his more progressive endeavors lately to do dumb stuff like play with Sebastian Bach's band, but I think he could handle the material. He definitely turned a lot of heads doing gigs with Fates Warning, since he played Mark Zonder's stuff absolutely perfectly. He also has all the precision and technicality needed for this job but also he's an absolute powerhouse when it comes to "metal" drumming. Helluva nice guy too.

Derelict
09-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Richard Christy is about to be unemployed

MPF
09-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Richard Christy is about to be unemployed

I haven't listened to Howard Stern since February. Did Stern announce he is in fact retiring?

If he is, Richard still has Charred Walls Of The Damned

Derelict
09-08-2010, 08:33 PM
No, but it sounds like Howard is going to three days a week and his staff will make even less

MPF
09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
No, but it sounds like Howard is going to three days a week and his staff will make even less

Hell, why doesn't Howard just do one day a week? What's the point in 3 days a week?

Well if nothing else that makes a longer weekend for Richard to start doing shows again.

Derelict
09-08-2010, 08:38 PM
It's funny how talented Richard is at the comedy stuff, AND he's a pretty awesome drummer. I've met him twice too, he's a great dude.

MPF
09-08-2010, 08:41 PM
It's funny how talented Richard is at the comedy stuff, AND he's a pretty awesome drummer. I've met him twice too, he's a great dude.

Besides Portnoy, Richard is one of my top 3 favorite drummers. Death's The Sound OF Perseverance and Iced Earth's Horror Show inspired me so much to play kickass Metal.

Richard, Sal and Artie were my favorite parts of the show. Now that Artie's gone and apparently the show's going to 3 days a week, I really don't have the want to resubscribe to Sirius again.

Derelict
09-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Besides Portnoy, Richard is one of my top 3 favorite drummers. Death's The Sound OF Perseverance and Iced Earth's Horror Show inspired me so much to play kickass Metal.

Richard, Sal and Artie were my favorite parts of the show. Now that Artie's gone and apparently the show's going to 3 days a week, I really don't have the want to resubscribe to Sirius again.

It's been bad without Artie - those three were also my fav. I first met Richard way back when at a Philly meet and greet on the Sound of Perserverance tour. If I only knew he had all those great prank calls in his head...

MPF
09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
It's been bad without Artie - those three were also my fav. I first met Richard way back when at a Philly meet and greet on the Sound of Perserverance tour. If I only knew he had all those great prank calls in his head...

That's what I figured and why I didn't resubscribed. I mean I loved Liquid Metal *more so when it was Hard Attack* but it wasn't worth it to me without a decent Howard Stern Show.

That is so badass that you met Richard. He seems like such a cool guy. He actually did wish me good luck via myspace a few years ago on the Guitar Center Drum Off the first year I entered. I made it to the store finals, and I feel I have him to thank for it.

Derelict
09-08-2010, 09:13 PM
That's awesome man. We met him this year too. He repeated a couple lines from his prank phone calls to us, it was awesome

MPF
09-08-2010, 09:26 PM
That's awesome man. We met him this year too. He repeated a couple lines from his prank phone calls to us, it was awesome

Goooood Goooooood. His prank calls are always my FAAAAAAAAAAAVORITE. Like Coheed and Cambria...and Stryper. And Hillbilly Jim, and Sgt. Slaughter and Dory Funk, and Terry Funk, and Flash Funk, and Papa Shongo, and The Berzerker.....

Sorry about that, I'm kinda going through Sal and Richard prank call withdrawls.

That's awesome you got to meet him this year too. Its great knowing he's as cool as he ever was.

zgodt
09-08-2010, 09:45 PM

hahaha

300%_Density
09-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Crushed... Just crushed. Never did get to see them. Why do I get the feeling that people would have been more cool if they found out James LeBrie quit than Portnoy? It sucks this had to happen. Can't hate a guy for being honest by saying his heart wasn't in it. That would cheat people more than him leaving. I find it curious that he just wanted a "break" but the band was not cool w/ that. Not sure if there is more to this or not. Not trying to start stupid ass internet rumors but it just makes me wonder. I'm sure before too long he will end up coming back too. More curious who will replace him. Wonder if they will go w/ a name or complete opposite.

MPF
09-09-2010, 12:47 AM
after thinking about it for a few hours....

I think John Petrucci wanted to start writing again after they toured with Iron Maiden and Mike did not as he had his obligations to a7X already set in stone for the rest of the year, then a verbal argument ensued leading to Mike saying "FUCK THIS" and quitting.

xStructualDefect
09-09-2010, 12:56 AM
hmm i'm wondering if he's going to join Avenged Sevenfold now. and i wonder how many people that would piss off :lol:

ravenheart
09-09-2010, 01:19 AM

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

That's not always true. But they are hit and miss. I saw them in 2003 do a three-hour show and they were fantastic.

2005, not so. Three times in 2009 and they were crap the first time and great the other two.

MP was never really the reason I went to see Dream Theater, so I won't miss him on the live front, but I have a feeling his influence will be missed if they do an album without him.

MPF
09-09-2010, 02:11 AM
This is how I feel about this whole ordeal...

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/watermelonp1.gif

Derelict
09-09-2010, 04:53 AM
Goooood Goooooood. His prank calls are always my FAAAAAAAAAAAVORITE. Like Coheed and Cambria...and Stryper. And Hillbilly Jim, and Sgt. Slaughter and Dory Funk, and Terry Funk, and Flash Funk, and Papa Shongo, and The Berzerker.....

Sorry about that, I'm kinda going through Sal and Richard prank call withdrawls.

That's awesome you got to meet him this year too. Its great knowing he's as cool as he ever was.

all their calls are on youtube in some form or another....it even measures crop yield and seismic activity

DigMySpanky
09-09-2010, 05:47 AM
Back in '79 I gave Chief Jay Strongbow a handjob.

Sanitarium78
09-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Now that i've had sometime to think about it more, DT is totally in the right to carry on without him. He's the one who decided to go record with Ax7 tour with DT and then tour with A7X. All in the same year. No doubt this is causing the burnout he's speaking of. If he had rested up like the rest of the band is doing right now maybe he wouldn't feel that way. When you look at all the stuff Portnoy is involved in besides DT he brought this burnout all on himself.

He's a very good drummer but there's always someone out there who's just as talented that can fill the void. DT will deffinintly not be the same without him but so long Mike, I hope what ever you do next makes you happy.

cradle_of_maiden
09-09-2010, 06:14 AM
Yea I saw this coming.

ravenheart
09-09-2010, 06:26 AM
"I BEG of the fans to please NOT hold (AVENGED SEVENFOLD) responsible for MY decision... they are just as shocked as you guys. I had been contemplating this and desiring a "break" (not split) as long ago as last year... everything else is fully explained in the press release... thank you all for your support and understanding... this is the hardest thing I've ever done... : ("

Sanitarium78
09-09-2010, 06:31 AM
"I BEG of the fans to please NOT hold (AVENGED SEVENFOLD) responsible for MY decision... they are just as shocked as you guys. I had been contemplating this and desiring a "break" (not split) as long ago as last year... everything else is fully explained in the press release... thank you all for your support and understanding... this is the hardest thing I've ever done... : ("

I never even thought about blaming A7X at all and no one else should either. Like I said in my post above, Mike brought this on himself by just taking on too much in a short time.

Div
09-09-2010, 07:24 AM
this band isnt even that big of a deal, who cares :zzz:

powerslave_85
09-09-2010, 08:12 AM
This is how I feel about this whole ordeal...

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/watermelonp1.gifBears repeating. I saw this video yesterday and couldn't stop laughing. That HAD to hurt.

ChildrenofSodom
09-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Portnoy's Complain. Google it.

TonyD
09-09-2010, 09:50 AM

:lol:

That kinda sucks but I'm not really disappointed... my interest in DT is pretty much gone.

jaysadler2
09-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Cant believe it!

Is truely one of the best drummers ever

Who could possibly replace him???

Crionics
09-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Well this blows...

EDIT: I just realized I saw the last show with Portnoy so far...At the end of the gig James said "This is going to be the last Dream Theater show in NA for awhile"..maybe this is what he was talking about?

MPF
09-09-2010, 12:13 PM
all their calls are on youtube in some form or another....it even measures crop yield and seismic activity

Does it also come with a certificate of authenticity?

Haha I'll have to look those up today.

Maiden33
09-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Well this blows...

EDIT: I just realized I saw the last show with Portnoy so far...At the end of the gig James said "This is going to be the last Dream Theater show in NA for awhile"..maybe this is what he was talking about?

As far as I know that was just a comment referring to the fact that the band had been planning on taking an extensive break after the Maiden tour.

Sanitarium78
09-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Cant believe it!

Is truely one of the best drummers ever

Who could possibly replace him???

There's always someone out there. People were probably saying the same thing back when Sabbath fired Ozzy in 1979. Then look what happened they hired Dio.

While I can't name anyone specifically this is a big world and there are plenty of talented drummers out there, both known and unknown, that are willing to step up and handle the task of playing for Dream Theater. Now replacing Portnoy's stage presence and his charisma is the bigger issue for Dream Theater.

kommie
09-09-2010, 06:05 PM
I was at a friend's house and he was listening to this depressing whiny shit and I was like, 'What is this shit?' 'Dream Theater.' I don't get how people like them.

Maiden33
09-09-2010, 06:07 PM
I was at a friend's house and he was listening to this depressing whiny shit and I was like, 'What is this shit?' 'Dream Theater.' I don't get how people like them.

Cool story, bro.

Sanitarium78
09-09-2010, 06:12 PM

You don't get why people like them because you're a kommie:D

:jima:

Fe Maiden
09-10-2010, 07:36 AM
I sense a great disturbance in the force!

Maiden33
09-10-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm just kinda tired of seeing all these people bitching: "I hate Dream Theater, I don't get what the big deal is", when they don't even like any Progressive Metal at all. No shit if you don't like an entire subgenre, you're not going to like the band that's essentially the flagship band for it.

Sanitarium78
09-10-2010, 08:11 AM
I'm just kinda tired of seeing all these people bitching: "I hate Dream Theater, I don't get what the big deal is", when they don't even like any Progressive Metal at all. No shit if you don't like an entire subgenre, you're not going to like the band that's essentially the flagship band for it.

This.

If a band member leaves a band that I don't care about I don't go on the thread and say anything. If you don't like a band why bother posting on the thread? I know i've brought this argument up a bunch of times before and I have still yet to get a quality answer to it.

Honestly it's disrespectful to the band and it's fans when something major like this happens and someone will just come on and bash the band for no reason at all. I think next time everyone is goin nuts on here over some news about some shitty death metal band i'll go on the thread and bash them and see how they like it.

Then again, no death metal band is worth my time so I won't bother.

DethMaiden
09-10-2010, 08:13 AM
This.

If a band member leaves a band that I don't care about I don't go on the thread and say anything. If you don't like a band why bother posting on the thread? I know i've brought this argument up a bunch of times before and I have still yet to get a quality answer to it.

Honestly it's disrespectful to the band and it's fans when something major like this happens and someone will just come on and bash the band for no reason at all. I think next time everyone is goin nuts on here over some news about some shitty death metal band i'll go on the thread and bash them and see how they like it.

Well, that was an unprovoked attack. Well done.

Sanitarium78
09-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Well, that was an unprovoked attack. Well done.

Yeah it was but it was needed to make my point. Which is if you don't care about a specific genre or band just leave it alone. Unfortunately, some people around here don't seem to get that.

IrritatedTrout
09-10-2010, 08:24 AM
So I guess there are a couple of us here who saw the last DT show with Portnoy? At least it was a pretty awesome show, best crowd response I'd seen on the tour besides the Garden. Plus, Adrian came out so that makes it even better.

I don't listen to a lot of DT but this is a shame. He's my favorite member of the band and the most entertaining one live. I enjoyed seeing them open for Maiden this summer.

Fe Maiden
09-10-2010, 08:41 AM
This.

Then again, no death metal band is worth my time so I won't bother.Agree 100%

Div
09-10-2010, 09:07 AM
This.

the major flaw with your argument is that its assuming a band automatically deserves respect from everyone just because they exist. i saw dream theater open for maiden and thought they were terribly boring and dorky. the real reason these threads turn into flame wars is because people are so insecure that they get all bent out of shape whenever someone disagrees with their opinions, even so to the point where they cant even offer up counter arguments other than "omg u r so rude cuz u disagree with me".

ChildrenofSodom
09-10-2010, 09:39 AM
http://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/worlds-smallest-violin_190.jpg

mankvill
09-10-2010, 11:31 AM
This.

RIP Grey "The Paul" Revson

MPF
09-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Actually the last two DT shows were in Japan in August. Same setlist as the Maiden tour.

Kinda odd how they ended with Pull Me Under...and basically played a best of set as their final run of this lineup...?

jhdeity
09-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I agree with the people who prefer older DT to the new music. Their 1st 2 albums are the only 2 that I ever listen to. The vocals got worse then better then worse and had moments on the new cd.

Maybe I'm in the minority but now would be a great time to get a new vocalist and make some great music that is actually relevant in this day and age.

I wasn't very impressed with Portnoy's drums on the a7x cd but maybe if he's a full member he'll kill on the next cd. maybe we get a bunch of great music out of this, who knows. I have been known to be the eternal optomist but I see this as more of a positive and you know Portnoy will return at some point looking for a fat payday "Reunion" type tour if nothing else.

daimonos
09-10-2010, 03:00 PM
So is Mike Portnoy joining Avenged Sevenfold now? Or was the statement he released about A7X not being the reason for him leaving saying that he won't be joining them? Because if he joins that band I'll be pissed.

PlaysWithKnives
09-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Because if he joins that band I'll be pissed.

Yeah. You me and a lot of other people.

Maidenmagic
09-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Portnoy was such a big influence over DT(The twelve step suite, A change of seasons, his back up vocals etc.) I always assumed he had a lot of power in the band so seeing him walk away is shocking. But I rather hear DT with portnoy than no DT at all. Maybe they could get Shawn Drover from Megadeth. He says he's a big prog fan and that he likes DT. Plus Dave is used to having band members leave so it would be no problem for Megadeth.

EvilCheeseWedge
09-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Maybe they should just replace him with a metronome. It certainly couldn't make their music less boring.

Indestructible
09-13-2010, 01:12 PM
RIP Grey "The Paul" Revson

I dont understand why you keep saying that.

Maiden33
09-13-2010, 01:29 PM
Maybe they should just replace him with a metronome. It certainly couldn't make their music less boring.

I'd hate to be the person who had to program that metronome. :eyes:

daimonos
09-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I dont understand why you keep saying that.

I'm not sure why he keeps saying it, but for some reason I laugh a little every time he does :lol:

Sanitarium78
09-13-2010, 03:25 PM
He keeps saying that because he likes to annoy people.

Maiden33
09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
He keeps saying that because he likes to annoy people.

What you originally had there was so much better and more potentially offensive.

mankvill
09-13-2010, 03:58 PM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/7659/jg4vp.gif

Sanitarium78
09-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes, Maiden33 what i had originally wrote was better. The adult in me took over and decided to clean it up. When you're dealing with immature people it's not worth getting in an internet fight with them.

mankvill
09-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Yes, Maiden33 what i had originally wrote was better. The adult in me took over and decided to clean it up. When you're dealing with immature people it's not worth getting in an internet fight with them.

now i wanna see what it said :(

Wizzbang11
09-13-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm not sure why he keeps saying it, but for some reason I laugh a little every time he does :lol:

He keeps saying it because he's awesome. I think it's really funny.
Keep it up.

Fe Maiden
09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
But I rather hear DT with portnoy than no DT at all.:eyes: I think you meant "without":D

MPF
09-14-2010, 02:53 PM
Here's my choice for replacing Mike Portnoy in Dream Theater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAcR3-4zYcQ&feature=autofb

JudasPriest89
09-20-2010, 03:18 AM
A7X, really? :bouville:

TonyD
09-20-2010, 09:39 AM

Damn, I was hoping it would be this guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E)

Derelict
09-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Damn, I was hoping it would be this guy. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZyaOlrb7E)

holy shit

evildeadjedi
09-20-2010, 10:13 AM

He used to be a metal drummer, so he might be able to pull it off. :D

MPF
09-20-2010, 12:33 PM

Actually Steve Moore and Mike Portnoy are good friends now because that video started at The Mike Portnoy Forum.

He is actually very capable of playing Mike's parts but I doubt he would want to betray Mike's friendship by joining DT.

makethemsuffer12
09-20-2010, 12:39 PM

Holy shit, I've actually played with that guy before. Long story short, I helped out a friend of a friend by playing lead guitar on a cover of "Damage Inc." with his band (Castrofate. Check 'em out). Anyway that guy was playing drums with them at that show so yeah.

MPF
09-20-2010, 12:52 PM
Holy shit, I've actually played with that guy before. Long story short, I helped out a friend of a friend by playing lead guitar on a cover of "Damage Inc." with his band (Castrofate. Check 'em out). Anyway that guy was playing drums with them at that show so yeah.

That is awesome. Charlie Z is fucking amazing.

If you haven't checked it out yet, he was also the drummer of both Blotted Science and Behold...The Arctopus. Check those out to see how truly insane of a drummer he is.

TonyD
11-21-2010, 05:15 PM
More Portnoy bullshit via Blabbermouth (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=149726):
Classic Rock Prog: Were you shocked and upset that they ultimately decided to go on without you?

Portnoy: "I'd be lying if I didn't say I am devastated they chose to continue without me rather than take a break. After me giving my heart and soul, blood, sweat and tears to them and the band for 25 years, I hoped they'd value me and our relationship enough to respect my need for us to take a little break. I am truly heartbroken over their decision. I suppose it also kills me that in the past the guys NEVER would question or ever debate my direction within the band. They always let me call the shots and always trusted my vision and guidance. And NOW, with such a huge and personal conflict.. they disagreed with me for the first time... on the biggest decision of them all.

"DREAM THEATER is my baby and I NEVER wanted to abandon my child. I only felt the parents needed a little breather to help save the marriage.

"The big irony here is that I wanted a break to help mend and strengthen our relations and ultimately bring us closer together.... and now by them chosing to move on without me it is ultimately going to seriously damage our relationship.... as well as the DREAM THEATER legacy I spent so long building and protecting."

MPF
11-21-2010, 05:22 PM
The more I hear interviews from Portnoy the more respect I'm losing for him.

Mike if you don't want to lose any more respect...SHUT THE FUCK UP FOR A WHILE!!!