PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden -- Paris, France -- September 9th, 1999

tolvis
09-08-2010, 06:31 AM
Iron Maiden, Megadeth
Paris, FRA - Palais Omnisports Paris Bercy
1999-09-09

First european gig on the reuniontour, and BLOW ME BLIND what a gig!!! You can´t compete with a setlist like that!!! People had been longing for those songs so many years, Aces High and Powerslave were last played in 1985, Killers was last played live in 1988 (briefly), Phantom of the opera was last played live in 1987 and so on... I bought a very cool limited t-shirt too, Eddie crushing the Eiffeltower on the front, and "I survived 9/9 99" on the back!

Megadeth opened and that was pretty cool too, they got one of the biggest cheers of the evening when they did A tout le monde.

Megadeth:
1. Intro
2. Prince of darkness
3. Holy wars
4. In my darkest hour
5. A secret place
6. She-wolf
7. A tout le monde
8. Almost honest
9. Crush ´em
10. Trust
11. Symphony of destruction
12. Peace sells (but who´s buying)

Iron Maiden:
1. Intro : Transylvania / Churchill´s speech
2. Aces high:rocker:
3. Wrathchild
4. The trooper
5. 2 minutes to midnight
6. The clansman:rocker:
7. Wasted years:rocker:
8. Killers:rocker:
9. Futureal
10. Man on the edge
11. Powerslave:rocker:
12. Phantom of the opera:rocker:
13. The evil that men do
14. Fear of the dark
15. Iron maiden
16. Number of the beast
17. Hallowed be thy name
18. Run to the hills

Sanitarium78
09-08-2010, 06:43 AM
and BLOW ME BLIND

:lol::lol:

I'm not sure if it was you're intention or not but do you reliaze how funny that pharase is?

Also, The Clansman should never get a :rocker: after it. It should get this though:

:zzz::zzz:

Still I would've loved to have seen one of the shows on this tour but Maiden is too lazy to come to my town at all.

tolvis
09-08-2010, 08:21 AM
:lol::lol:

I'm not sure if it was you're intention or not but do you reliaze how funny that pharase is?

Intentional. It´s a classic Gene Simmons t-shirt, worn backstage on the officially released Kiss Konfidential-video;)

And The Clansman with Bruce for the first time was nothing short of AWESOME! They overplayed it, sure, they should have left it out after this tour and gone for other Blaze-era songs (Sign of the cross in 2000 was KILLER) but this my first time in Paris 1999 it rocked the house!

Derelict
09-08-2010, 08:24 AM
Wow, that megadeth setlist is horrific

PowerMaiden
09-08-2010, 08:31 AM
we were lucky enough to also have Stranger In A Strange Land in the set for the first few shows of that tour (Montreal for me) that set was indeed absolutely mindblowing. Tears of joy during Aces High, Clansman was amazing with Bruce, and all the fucking classics less played songs. Still in my top 10 Maiden gigs ever.

on a side note: I love A Secret Place, Dave should bring it back in the set

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Cross Face Chicken Wing
09-08-2010, 09:07 AM
Is Mustaine intentionally trying to kill all momentum he's built over the last five years w/ that setlist?

Derelict
09-08-2010, 09:18 AM
Is Mustaine intentionally trying to kill all momentum he's built over the last five years w/ that setlist?

Its from '99 - i saw them in the US around that time, over half of the set was Cryptic Writings. Naps ensued.

DethMaiden
09-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Its from '99 - i saw them in the US around that time, over half of the set was Cryptic Writings. Naps ensued.

I'd rather see a Cryptic Writings heavy set than a Risk, World Needs a Hero, or United Abominations heavy set. :2cents:

Derelict
09-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I'd rather see a Cryptic Writings heavy set than a Risk, World Needs a Hero, or United Abominations heavy set. :2cents:

Strongly agree - i actually don't mind CW, but seeing half a set of it was pretty bad, with a band with a strong back catalogue like megadeth

PlaysWithKnives
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
With the exception of the clansman, a song that never did it for me, there's nothing wrong with that set. Something similar nowadays would be nice. That Megadeth set is pretty bad.

Maidenmagic
09-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Maiden is my favorite band and Megadeth is my second favorite band so this would have been perfect. I think The Clansman is a great song and I would love to hear Phatom of the Opera. Megadeth's set is questionable. Prince of Darkness? A secret place? Crush em?! Come on, Dave!

The_jman
09-08-2010, 12:02 PM
Cool Maiden Set.

elturtleboy
09-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Minus Clansman,That set is perfect.:rocker:
Megadeths is weak but i would still love to them both play on the same bill

IrritatedTrout
09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Still I would've loved to have seen one of the shows on this tour but Maiden is too lazy to come to my town at all.

Seeing as how Buffalo is at best a B market, I don't see how it's laziness on Maiden's part. They haven't played Norfolk/Virginia Beach since 1988 yet I've seen every tour since I became a fan. Which is only since 05 but still. Plus isn't Toronto pretty close to you?

rjturtle9
09-08-2010, 01:03 PM
I love A Secret Place, Dave should bring it back in the set

This, and how is wish I had a time machine when reading sets like this. Maiden's set in 1999 is probably one of their best ever IMO.

daimonos
09-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Megadeth:
1. Intro
2. Prince of darkness
3. Holy wars
4. In my darkest hour
5. A secret place
6. She-wolf
7. A tout le monde
8. Almost honest
9. Crush ´em
10. Trust
11. Symphony of destruction
12. Peace sells (but who´s buying)

:LOLFC:

Cross Face Chicken Wing
09-08-2010, 02:05 PM

Wow. I am an idiot.:drinking:

Travis The Dragon
09-08-2010, 02:35 PM
:eek: A Megadeth show with no Hangar 18?!?!?!?!

Sanitarium78
09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Seeing as how Buffalo is at best a B market, I don't see how it's laziness on Maiden's part. They haven't played Norfolk/Virginia Beach since 1988 yet I've seen every tour since I became a fan. Which is only since 05 but still. Plus isn't Toronto pretty close to you?

Buffalo is worse than a B market. Even Rush couldn't get a date booked here this summer and they play here every tour. Yeah Toronto is close to me if you wanna go through the BS of border crossing and Canadians sitting down during shows. I saw Rush there in 1997 and everyone sat down, I saw Black Sabbath there in 1999 on their reunion tour and guess what? Everybody sat again. I heard it was a Canadian thing to sit for shows and since I don't do that I don't go to any shows in Canada unless the venue is general admission.

Plus, I never got around to getting me a new passport which makes crossing the border to much of a pain in the ass. I know it may be closed minded on my part but those couple of concert experiences really did ruin it for me in terms of going to see the big arena/amphitheater shows up there.

Indestructible
09-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Buffalo is worse than a B market. Even Rush couldn't get a date booked here this summer and they play here every tour. Yeah Toronto is close to me if you wanna go through the BS of border crossing and Canadians sitting down during shows. I saw Rush there in 1997 and everyone sat down, I saw Black Sabbath there in 1999 on their reunion tour and guess what? Everybody sat again. I heard it was a Canadian thing to sit for shows and since I don't do that I don't go to any shows in Canada unless the venue is general admission.

Plus, I never got around to getting me a new passport which makes crossing the border to much of a pain in the ass. I know it may be closed minded on my part but those couple of concert experiences really did ruin it for me in terms of going to see the big arena/amphitheater shows up there.

I don't get how anyone can sit down at a metal show.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I saw this tour in Dallas, but it was Push Monkey and Puya opening instead of Megadeth.

It was the best Maiden show I've ever seen.

Awesome set, Bruce and Adrian back in the band and a smaller venue = best ever.

The_jman
09-08-2010, 06:11 PM
I don't get how anyone can sit down at a metal show.
So people behind them can see? for one perhaps?

JLRedWing13
09-08-2010, 06:17 PM
A Secret Place is definitely one Megadeth song they need to bring back. I'd take it over Trust for sure.

Not to mention anything from Youthanasia....

Sanitarium78
09-08-2010, 06:23 PM
So people behind them can see? for one perhaps?

Still, If you're unable or unwilling to stand you shouldn't be going to a concert in my opinion. If you're confind to a wheelchair that's a different story but if you're able bodied there's no excuse. I've got a herniated disc in my back and sometimes it hurts and my back gets really sore from standing at shows but I still do it. It's a rock show, what the hell else am I gonna do? Sit there like a deadbeat and show no life or appreciation for the band i'm there to see, I don't think so.

mankvill
09-08-2010, 06:41 PM
I rarely sit at shows, but if I do it's never for a band I'm dying to see. I sat during Danzig because I was tired, but it was a mistake because he was great from where I was sitting, he would've been even better up close. I sit for all deathcore bands unless I'm trying to get a good spot for a better band.

elturtleboy
09-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Still, If you're unable or unwilling to stand you shouldn't be going to a concert in my opinion. If you're confind to a wheelchair that's a different story but if you're able bodied there's no excuse. I've got a herniated disc in my back and sometimes it hurts and my back gets really sore from standing at shows but I still do it. It's a rock show, what the hell else am I gonna do? Sit there like a deadbeat and show no life or appreciation for the band i'm there to see, I don't think so.

Exactly.During American Carnage I sat during Testament and I hated it. If your gonna sit all far away from a band and not be there with the energy,might as why buy a live dvd.

I rarely sit at shows, but if I do it's never for a band I'm dying to see. I sat during Danzig because I was tired, but it was a mistake because he was great from where I was sitting, he would've been even better up close. I sit for all deathcore bands unless I'm trying to get a good spot for a better band.
This first time i saw Danzig in Dec. I waited a couple hours so I can get rail. It was my first arena concert and im used to being upfront. As soon as the lady said "Go!" everyone ran like chariots of fire status. I got rail:party:. Second time i saw him i was still upfront,u need to see Danzig standing up. I get wet everytime