PDA

View Full Version : Rush -- Syracuse, NY -- September 2nd, 2010

Sanitarium78
09-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Saw Rush last night at the New York state fair in Syracuse. This was my 8th time seeing Rush and this was the best of them all. My brother and I were in the front row on Alex's side. It was truly amazing to see them that up close. Especially watching Alex play and seeing what he really does with the guitar. Some people had told me the stage was high there and that I might have trouble seeing Neil but that was not the case. I wish Geddy had come over to our side a little more often but I get why he didn't. His home base is always to the left of Neil. He did come over a few times and walk to all the way to the far end of the stage so Geddy didn't completely ignore us.

Alex was having a great time and doing his usual funny faces and smiles and everything. He made good eye contact with everyone in the front row numerous times. There was a family next to me with like a 5 year old kid with them and it was his first concert ever. Too bad he's so young though, by the time he grows up the show will be nothing but a blur in his memory. Alex tossed him a pick at the end of the first set. Before the second set began the young lady who was operating the camera in front of the stage, I forget her name I wanna say it was Wendy, gave the kid two drum sticks:eek: I asked the kid if he wants to be a drummer now and he said "yeah, I'm gonna take Neils drum set home with me.":lol: Alex seemed to have problems hearing himself as he motioned to the side of the stage a number of times to turn it up. He messed around with his ear piece a few times as well. Other than that there was nothing out of the ordinary and everything sounded great to me.

Holy crap was it hot. This was the first time at this fair for my brother and I and we really had no idea where were headed at all. We parked way back in the lot and had to walk what seemed like a mile to get to the fair entrance. Then once we got into the fair it was like a Legend Of Zelda quest to find our way to the very back of the fair where the venue was. Luckily we ran into a few other Rush fans and they kind of told us where to go. Damn that place is big. At least I got a good workout from it.

When I looked back it was nothing but people from the floor all the way up to the top row of the grandstand. 18,000 or better would be my estimate. Security came buy and gave everyone in the first row yellow wrist bands so they knew who was supposed to be there and who wasn't. After the first set my brother and I sat down for a few minutes and wouldn't you know it two jackasses who didn't have wrist bands walked up and stood right where we were standing. My brother went to tell the security guard and she said she noticed them and she got rid of them before the second half started. So, at least where I was security seemed on top of things.

The set was the same as always:

The Spirit Of Radio
Time Stand Still
Presto
Stick It Out
Workin' Them Angels
Leave That Thing Alone
Faithless
BU2B
Freewill
Marathon
Subdivisions

Intermission

Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Caravan
Drum Solo
Guitar Solo
Closer To The Heart
Overture
The Temples Of Syrinx
Far Cry

Encore:
La Villa Strangiato
Working Man

Highlight of the show was pretty much everything being that close. But as with the first time I saw them on this tour Presto, Marathon and TCE really stand out for me. But everything was just awesome:party:

maidenpriest
09-03-2010, 02:32 PM
ya Marathon and TCE were big highlights for me when i saw them. vital signs, 2112 and la villa were also on my favs of the night. had never seen vital signs before, 2112 is always epic and hadnt seen la villa since R30.

petrovar
09-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Everything was great, but my highlights were Time Stand Still, Faithless, Red Barchetta and La Villa

Sanitarium78
09-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Everything was great, but my highlights were Time Stand Still, Faithless, Red Barchetta and La Villa

Yeah all those were great as well. I'm not that big on Faithless, it's an OK tune but after seeing them twice this tour I appreciate the song a lot more now.

Oh yeah seeing Alex up close like that playing La Villa:drool: