PDA

View Full Version : My Dying Bride 'Evinta' 3-disc 20th Anniversary set

ravenheart
08-27-2010, 05:40 AM
"2010 marks the 20th anniversary of the UK doom titans My Dying Bride, and to commemorate two decades of doom & gloom, the band embarked upon a project to re-work familiar melodies & themes from My Dying Bride's extensive catalogue into long, flowing symphonic compositions, including new vocals & passages from Aaron Stainthorpe. These arrangements have been brought to life in co-operation with keyboard maestro Johnny Maudling (of Bal Sagoth fame) & will be released as 'Evinta', as both a 2 disc & special 3 disc set, each disc its own sprawling classical work spanning a large period of My Dying Bride's album material. The 3 disc set will also be accompanied by a specially limited 72 page hardback book featuring rare images & photographs from the bandıs personal archive from over the years.

ANDREW CRAIGHAN: "Evinta. A project almost 15 years in the making. An idea that has sat smouldering and never really had a reason to burn alive until now. 9 CDs worth of darkness recreated anew to mark 20 years of MDB. Music arranged to the soundscapes of sorrows past. Finally the 20th anniversary allows us to release this music in a form it has been desperately, woefully waiting for. Enjoy the Darkness."

My Dying Bride has been the leading light of doom metal since their debut album 'As the Flower Withers' was released on Peaceville Records back in 1992. Influenced by acts such as Celtic Frost and Candlemass, the band's heavy atmospherics have carved a huge worldwide following over the years and they remain at the pinnacle of the genre.

The set is scheduled for an October 25th release on Peaceville Records.

Also coinciding with this 20 year celebration is the recent vinyl release of one of the band's most respected early works, namely 'Turn Loose the Swans', which is limited to 2000 numbered copies, & features the original vinyl cover artwork design & gatefold sleeve."

DethMaiden
08-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Uh...this sounds like a really bad idea, but I'll listen to it just to make sure.

Maideneer
04-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Anyone else in possession of this? I'm one of the lucky few who own the 3 disc version, and I have to say listening back a year later, I'm still floored how amazing this is.

Please find a way to listen to the following songs, I dare you to say anything negative about them.

The Distance, Busy With Shadows
And All Their Joy Was Drowned

Both equally stunning songs for different reasons.

And All Their Joy Was Drowned makes you feel like you're watching in real-time the sun or some other powerful star fading away, and this incredibly bleak while at the same time angelic emotion wraps itself around you. Total "end-of-life looking back" feel.

The Distance, Busy With Shadows has a similarly desolate feeling to start off with, but hops into this other world suddenly and begins to channel the feelings of loneliness in a forest (or someplace similar...make of it what you will, imagery is amazing if you let it happen) quickly finding it's way to a sense of determination to find a way out.

Completely amazing, please find a way to listen to these 2 songs more than any of the others on this record.

ravenheart
04-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Anyone else in possession of this? I'm one of the lucky few who own the 3 disc version, and I have to say listening back a year later, I'm still floored how amazing this is.

I hated every minute of the short version. So no, I don't own the long version ;)

It would make an awesome Resident Evil soundtrack though.

MPF
04-02-2012, 02:31 PM
I have an odd confession. I've never listened to My Dying Bride....

I think I should start.

ravenheart
04-03-2012, 02:14 AM

I think I should start.

Yes, yes you should. Just don't start with Evinta.

Maideneer
04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Even though I'm in love with Evinta, he's right, don't start with it, it's a totally false representation of what the band is about. I say start with Dreadful Hours, that captures everything.

ravenheart
04-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Even though I'm in love with Evinta, he's right, don't start with it, it's a totally false representation of what the band is about. I say start with Dreadful Hours, that captures everything.

:drool:

Although I started with 'Like Gods of The Sun'.

brutal_descent
04-03-2012, 07:26 AM
Yeah, Dreadful Hours is definitely my favorite, with For Lies I Sire and Songs of Darkness close behind. Even better live too.

VoidFlame
04-03-2012, 07:40 AM
My favourite is The Light at the End of the World, so beautifully depressing.

Maideneer
04-03-2012, 08:10 AM
SOD, WOL is my fave, Dreadful Hours right behind it. Angel & The Dark River behind that, and believe it or not, 34% behind that.

KillerCannabis
04-03-2012, 09:45 AM
:drool:

Although I started with 'Like Gods of The Sun'.

Same here. Still one of my 50 favorite albums.

Maideneer
04-04-2012, 01:35 PM
On Sunday April 1st, My Dying Bride entered the studio to begin recording their eleventh full length album. It's very early days right now but already things are running smoother than expected which is very encouraging. Working titles so far are 'And the Sirens Called Odysseus', 'A Tapestry Scorned' and 'The Manuscript'. More from the band later...

SomewhereInTime72
04-04-2012, 10:27 PM
^Always love new MDB.

adamclark52
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
SOD, WOL is my fave, Dreadful Hours right behind it. Angel & The Dark River behind that, and believe it or not, 34% behind that.

There were some cool songs on that album. The Whore, The Cook And The Mother is a classic and Heroin Chic is really interesting. I've always found the parts where they "censor" his swearing really cool. But my favorite MDB album is probably Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light.

ravenheart
04-05-2012, 03:56 PM
On Sunday April 1st, My Dying Bride entered the studio to begin recording their eleventh full length album. It's very early days right now but already things are running smoother than expected which is very encouraging. Working titles so far are 'And the Sirens Called Odysseus', 'A Tapestry Scorned' and 'The Manuscript'. More from the band later...

"Band enters studio" is, without exception, the lamest attempt at "news" ever.

christopher
04-05-2012, 04:22 PM
"Band enters studio" is, without exception, the lamest attempt at "news" ever.

At least he didn't start a new thread about it and posted it here.

ravenheart
04-06-2012, 03:39 AM
At least he didn't start a new thread about it and posted it here.

Truth.

Indestructible
04-06-2012, 09:47 AM

I think I should start.

DEEPER DOWN! Listen to it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSlTUEMvYiY)