PDA

View Full Version : Bold statement:

DethMaiden
08-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Bruce Dickinson's vocal prime was spent outside of Maiden, and lasted approximately from 1997 to 1998.

Discuss.

in b4 nice thread fonzy lol

Sanitarium78
08-22-2010, 10:17 AM
He showed more versatility in his voice during that time than he ever did before. You do have a valid argument with this. Though his voice on SIT and SSOASS are my favorite performances from him vocally.

powerslave_85
08-22-2010, 10:37 AM
Nope. He was amazing on BNW.

DethMaiden
08-22-2010, 11:37 AM
He showed more versatility in his voice during that time than he ever did before. You do have a valid argument with this. Though his voice on SIT and SSOASS are my favorite performances from him vocally.

This is what I mean. He could hit any note he felt like and belt it out with power. Sure, he probably couldn't have recreated Aces High in studio then, but he could have dropped the notes an octave and sung them more powerfully than he did in '84.

Nope. He was amazing on BNW.

Hmm...he is quite good there too, and on DOD, but you can start to hear the straining that would characterize AMOLAD and TFF, and that was missing on the solo discs.

ChildrenofSodom
08-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Yeah. Its almost as if he was younger in 1997 than he is now, but more experienced than he was in the 80s. Weird.

DethMaiden
08-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah. Its almost as if he was younger in 1997 than he is now, but more experienced than he was in the 80s. Weird.

:lol: Well, that's the Captain Obvious version. But I think a lot of people would say "HELL NO MOTHERFUCKER, PIECE OF MIND WAS HIS BEST SINGING! LISTEN TO THE TROOPER!" I'm suggesting that the combination of his "mature" voice and his big vocal range was his best...which should be seen as fact, and isn't.

ChildrenofSodom
08-22-2010, 12:12 PM
:lol: Well, that's the Captain Obvious version. But I think a lot of people would say "HELL NO MOTHERFUCKER, PIECE OF MIND WAS HIS BEST SINGING! LISTEN TO THE TROOPER!" I'm suggesting that the combination of his "mature" voice and his big vocal range was his best...which should be seen as fact, and isn't.

I've only ever heard Tattooed Millionaire and Tyranny of Souls, so I can't judge his solo stuff during that time period. But I thought he SUCKED on Virtual XI. Didn't sound like himself at all.

SomewhereInTime72
08-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I actually really like the way he sounds when he strains himself on AMOLAD. 'Cause it sounds really powerful I guess.

powerslave_85
08-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I've only ever heard Tattooed Millionaire and Tyranny of Souls, so I can't judge his solo stuff during that time period. But I thought he SUCKED on Virtual XI. Didn't sound like himself at all.
HOW IN THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN HERE THIS LONG AND NOT HEARD CHEMICAL WEDDING AND ACCIDENT OF BIRTH. HOW.

ChildrenofSodom
08-22-2010, 01:22 PM
HOW IN THE FUCK HAVE YOU BEEN HERE THIS LONG AND NOT HEARD CHEMICAL WEDDING AND ACCIDENT OF BIRTH. HOW.

Tattooed Millionare never really clicked, so I never checked out the other stuff. No one every said anything to convince me otherwise.

Also, I'm not a Maiden fanboy, I don't really buy CDs anymore, and I can't torrent. Oh well. Guess youtube clips (if i feel like it) will have to suffice.

JRA
08-22-2010, 01:39 PM
But I thought he SUCKED on Virtual XI. Didn't sound like himself at all.

I would say obvious troll is obvious, but given COS's track record he just might be that stupid.

Bruce's prime was Number of The Beast. When he lost that "howling wolf with fangs" type grit to his voice, he went from "fucking amazing" to merely excellent.

mankvill
08-22-2010, 01:53 PM

Shit, even I've heard Chemical Wedding. :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
08-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I would say obvious troll is obvious, but given COS's track record he just might be that stupid.

What? You think I'm actually that stupid? Really? Given my track record, you should know I'm obviously joking.

jerry1013
08-22-2010, 02:27 PM
his voice on SIT and SSOASS are my favorite performances from him vocally.

This

DethMaiden
08-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Bruce's prime was Number of The Beast. When he lost that "howling wolf with fangs" type grit to his voice, he went from "fucking amazing" to merely excellent.

That's his best vocal record besides AOB and TCW in my opinion, for basically the reason that you're giving.

Div
08-22-2010, 04:14 PM
I motion that the board moves to ban cameron until hes heard those two albums, all in favor?

ravenheart
08-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Bruce Dickinson's vocal prime was spent outside of Maiden, and lasted approximately from 1997 to 1998.

Discuss.

in b4 nice thread fonzy lol

Creative prime, yes, but a longer spell than that. Vocal prime includes that period, but is not exclusive to it.

ravenheart
08-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Tattooed Millionare never really clicked, so I never checked out the other stuff. No one every said anything to convince me otherwise.

That doesn't make sense, although if you've never checked them out, you probably wouldn't realise it doesn't. No two of Bruce's solo albums sound the same, so not checking out the others based on a dislike for any one simply doesn't logically work.

Also, I'm not a Maiden fanboy, I don't really buy CDs anymore, and I can't torrent.

Why do you even exist? ;)

DethMaiden
08-22-2010, 04:24 PM
I think The Chemical Wedding is very possibly my third favorite Bruce-fronted album behind Powerslave and Seventh Son, although I've never thought terribly hard about comparing his solo stuff to Maiden.

powerslave_85
08-22-2010, 04:43 PM
I motion that the board moves to ban cameron until hes heard those two albums, all in favor?
Yay.

Here's my theory/opinion on Bruce's vocals: His age means that he doesn't have the range and power he once had. That's obvious. However, he can still sound amazing as long as he doesn't try to push it too far. IMO, Dance of Death was when the strain began to show. However, he sounded as good as ever on Tyranny of Souls, which came later. My theory? On his solo albums, he has more control over the songwriting and recording process, and therefore more control over changing the songs to fit his new range. On the Maiden albums, I think Steve and Kevin Shirley have more power over those things, and may push Bruce to do things with his voice that he just can't do anymore.

ChildrenofSodom
08-22-2010, 06:31 PM
If someone sends me the albums online, I'll listen. I ain't spending no money.

DethMaiden
08-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Here's my theory/opinion on Bruce's vocals: His age means that he doesn't have the range and power he once had. That's obvious. However, he can still sound amazing as long as he doesn't try to push it too far. IMO, Dance of Death was when the strain began to show. However, he sounded as good as ever on Tyranny of Souls, which came later. My theory? On his solo albums, he has more control over the songwriting and recording process, and therefore more control over changing the songs to fit his new range. On the Maiden albums, I think Steve and Kevin Shirley have more power over those things, and may push Bruce to do things with his voice that he just can't do anymore.

This is definitely all true. He sounds better on Tyranny than any of the reunion Maiden albums (oddly I think he sounds best on DOD of those, but that may just be because it's my favorite). Steve is writing whatthefuckever he wants and not really considering Bruce's age.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-22-2010, 07:01 PM
I like a handful of Bruce's solo stuff. Namely Tears of the Dragon, Tattooed Millionaire, Dark side of Aquarius and Trumpets of Jericho, but on the whole, I much prefer him in Maiden.

JRA
08-22-2010, 08:08 PM

No because I haven't heard all of Accident of Birth either. Just the stuff that showed up on The best of.

For that matter, I only consistently listen to the first half of Chemical Wedding. I guess I've tried in the past, but Book of Thel is so fucking awesome, I'm just tapped out after that.

Here's my bold statement (although it's completely unoriginal): Well produced, no Demonaz on guitar Immortal >> unproduced with Demonaz on guitar Immortal.

Maiden33
08-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I generally agree with Brad's original statement. I think Bruce's best vocal performance of his career is on the album Accident of Birth.

Maiden33
08-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Yay.

100% agreed. I've been saying this for some time.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-24-2010, 06:29 PM
I think Bruce's solo work from the 90s (especially Accident of Birth/The Chemical Wedding - although I have a huge soft spot for Skunkworks) is some of his best stuff. Period.

In terms of performances, songwriting, diversity, etc.

Plus there's just so many little gems like "Darkness Be My Friend" in his solo career.

JRA
08-24-2010, 08:14 PM
I think Bruce's solo work from the 90s (especially Accident of Birth/The Chemical Wedding - although I have a huge soft spot for Skunkworks) is some of his best stuff. Period.

Plus there's just so many little gems like "Darkness Be My Friend" in his solo career.

I don't think anyone is gonna argue with that.

Sanitarium78
08-24-2010, 09:57 PM

Agreed. Except for Skunkworks i'm not sure what Bruce was trying to accomplish with that:confused:

I'm gonna make a bold statement here as well and say except for BNW i'll take AOB and TCW over all the Maiden reunion albums.

EvilCheeseWedge
08-25-2010, 05:52 AM
Agreed. Except for Skunkworks i'm not sure what Bruce was trying to accomplish with that:confused:

I'm gonna make a bold statement here as well and say except for BNW i'll take AOB and TCW over all the Maiden reunion albums.

I think he was just trying to establish a band that wasn't a solo band nor Iron Maiden. I know a lot of people don't like it, but there are a handful of songs on Skunkworks I really enjoy.

I'm gonna second your bold statement :fist:

powerslave_85
08-25-2010, 07:14 AM
I like Skunkworks as much as TCW and AoB.

zgodt
08-25-2010, 07:20 AM
I think Skunkworks may be the best thing Bruce has ever done. With the possible exception of Powerslave.

As for his voice... I've never heard him sound better than he did on the Early Days tour.