PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Metal Tour 2: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Barren Earth, Rotten Sound

Derelict
08-17-2010, 10:59 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=144687

Jan. 31 - Orlando, FL - The Club at Firestone
Feb. 01 - Atlanta, GA - The Masquerade
Feb. 02 - Louisville, KY - Headliner's Music Hall
Feb. 03 - Tulsa, OK - Marquee
Feb. 04 - Austin, TX - Emo's Alternative Lounging
Feb. 05 - Dallas, TX - Ridglea Theater
Feb. 06 - Amarillo, TX - The War Legion Underground
Feb. 07 - Tempe, AZ - Clubhouse
Feb. 08 - Los Angeles, CA - Key Club
Feb. 09 - Ramona, CA - Ramona Mainstage
Feb. 10 - San Francisco, CA - DNA Lounge
Feb. 11 - Portland, OR - Hawthorne Theatre
Feb. 12 - Seattle, WA - El Corazon
Feb. 14 - Calgary, AB - The Republik
Feb. 15 - Edmonton, AB - Starlite Room
Feb. 16 - Regina, SK - The Exchange
Feb. 18 - Minneapolis, MN - Station 4
Feb. 19 - Chicago, IL - Reggie Rock Club
Feb. 20 - Detroit, MI - Blondie's
Feb. 21 - Cleveland, OH - Peabody's
Feb. 22 - Toronto, ON - Opera House
Feb. 23 - Quebec City, QC - Imperial de Quebec
Feb. 24 - Montreal, QC - Metropolis
Feb. 25 - Rochester, NY - Montage Music Hall
Feb. 26 - New York City, NY - The Gramercy Theatre
Feb. 27 - Worcester, MA - The Palladium
Mar. 01 - Philadelphia, PA - The Trocadero
Mar. 02 - West Springfield, VA - Jaxx
Mar. 03 - Charlotte, NC - The Casbah
Mar. 04 - Raleigh, NC - Volume 11

DethMaiden
08-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Lol, Rotten Sound have no business on this tour. Nor do Barren Earth, really. They could be on a Swallow the Sun or Katatonia or Insomnium or Daylight Dies tour and get a lot more love.

I'm so ready for this shit to stop being popular. If you think cheesy folk metal is any less of a cancer than deathcore you're crazy. Great black metal bands can't afford to play more than four or five shows per tour and this goddamn Paganfest/Heathenfest/Finnish Metal Tour shit does at least 100 dates a year.

makethemsuffer12
08-17-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm so ready for this shit to stop being popular. If you think cheesy folk metal is any less of a cancer than deathcore you're crazy. Great black metal bands can't afford to play more than four or five shows per tour and this goddamn Paganfest/Heathenfest/Finnish Metal Tour shit does at least 100 dates a year.

http://content.onsmash.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/u-mad___camron.jpg

Derelict
08-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Lol, Rotten Sound have no business on this tour. Nor do Barren Earth, really. They could be on a Swallow the Sun or Katatonia or Insomnium or Daylight Dies tour and get a lot more love.

And this is different than shitty nu-thrash how?

DethMaiden
08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
http://content.onsmash.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/u-mad___camron.jpg

Well, yeah. You can be the lousiest songwriters of all time and throw on kilts and facepaint and get a hurdy-gurdy player up there and the crowd will go wild. Just ask Eluveitie, who have written seriously some of the worst "metal" songs I've ever heard.

DethMaiden
08-17-2010, 11:11 AM
And this is different than shitty nu-thrash how?

No, I hate that shit too. :lol: :lol:

Derelict
08-17-2010, 11:12 AM
And ensiferum being able to tour has no real relation on a black metal band only being able to play 5 shows over here

DethMaiden
08-17-2010, 11:15 AM
And ensiferum being able to tour has no real relation on a black metal band only being able to play 5 shows over here

Well, they're popular, and I can't put my finger on why. They're not as bad as most of the stuff in their scene, I'll give them that, but it's still not really my bag. I just can't figure out how these massive American tours for all these folk metal bands keep happening when five years ago nobody had heard of them. And it's because they're a big trend right now with a million bands piggybacking the earlier acts - yes, just like neo thrash and, yes, just like deathcore. Every genre has its copycats, but it seems like usually metal fans sniff out the bullshit and only support the good stuff. These scenes are a big exception, anybody with a fiddle player, lyrics about vikings, and an unpronounceable name can tour here now it seems like.

Derelict
08-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I dunno, there's a shit ton more of these bands than the 10 or so that have toured the US the last few years - i spent half the time at Tuska (and to a lesser extent, Wacken) trying to figure out who half the band shirts were, and i don't consider myself a dope when it comes to at least hearing of bands.

And, like deathcore and nu-thrash, i don't really consider it a plague - likes all forms of music, if someone is only into something because its a trend, then they'll be gone when the trend is less popular, and it's not like you are losing someone who is into metal in the first place.

Also, I'm thirty years old and have been listening to metal since 1996, i could give a shit whats popular when trying to get into a band

DethMaiden
08-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I dunno, there's a shit ton more of these bands than the 10 or so that have toured the US the last few years - i spent half the time at Tuska (and to a lesser extent, Wacken) trying to figure out who half the band shirts were, and i don't consider myself a dope when it comes to at least hearing of bands.

And, like deathcore and nuthrash, i don't really consider it a plague - likes all forms of music, if someone is only into something because its a trend, then they'll be gone when the trend is gone, and it's not like you are losing someone who is into metal in the first place.

Well, yeah, I'm exaggerating mostly because I haven't seen that many black metal bands, and that's who I believe should be touring. :lol: I get that it doesn't actually affect me that these bands are getting fans, and you know what, good for them. It's just frustrating that they can do all these dates for some reason right now when so much more stuff deserves some recognition. It's not my bag, but I can respect that other people get something out of it.

And honestly, the existence of Blackguard is enough for me to know that this scene has gone too far. ;)

bt11763
08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
that's FUCKING awesome

mankvill
08-17-2010, 11:25 AM
How fucking out of place is Rotten Sound on this tour?

People are either going to skip them or get pissed off because they are folk-fags.

Either way, Rotten Sound is way too awesome for this tour.

Derelict
08-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Well, yeah, I'm exaggerating mostly because I haven't seen that many black metal bands, and that's who I believe should be touring. :lol: I get that it doesn't actually affect me that these bands are getting fans, and you know what, good for them. It's just frustrating that they can do all these dates for some reason right now when so much more stuff deserves some recognition. It's not my bag, but I can respect that other people get something out of it.

And honestly, the existence of Blackguard is enough for me to know that this scene has gone too far. ;)

and the worst part about BG is that they play EVERY FUCKING TOUR.

Definitely have to agree with your points in this post. The good thing I've noticed though, is that these type of shows tend to bring in more good looking women than usual, and if its there gateway to metal, and i start seeing more good looking chicks at regular metal shows, this is not a bad thing.

DethMaiden
08-17-2010, 11:29 AM
and the worst part about BG is that they play EVERY FUCKING TOUR.

Definitely have to agree with your points in this post. The good thing I've noticed though, is that these type of shows tend to bring in more good looking women than usual, and if its there gateway to metal, and i start seeing more good looking chicks at regular metal shows, this is not a bad thing.

:fist:

But that's what Clutch shows are for. The ladies show up in droves and Tim Sult gets their bodies moving with his fat funky riffs. Nothing wrong with that. :cool:

Derelict
08-17-2010, 11:37 AM

But that's what Clutch shows are for. The ladies show up in droves and Tim Sult gets their bodies moving with his fat funky riffs. Nothing wrong with that. :cool:

Unfortunately, most of the people I see at Clutch shows I don't see at metal shows - I don't know where these people come from. Tractor pulls maybe?

treghet
08-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Finntroll and Ensiferum on the same tour? Yessssss. And by the way, I like all the bands. So if I make it to the show, I will be there for Rotten Sound as well.

DethMaiden
08-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Unfortunately, most of the people I see at Clutch shows I don't see at metal shows - I don't know where these people come from. Tractor pulls maybe?

:lol: Probably. There's some overlap with metal crowds around here, but there is a big redneck presence as well. That being said, I'm wearing a Clutch trucker hat right now, soooo.

Derelict
08-17-2010, 11:40 AM
:lol: Probably. There's some overlap with metal crowds around here, but there is a big redneck presence as well. That being said, I'm wearing a Clutch trucker hat right now, soooo.

That's a top notch piece of band merch

xStructualDefect
08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
hell yes. Finntroll and Ensiferum were the first folk metal bands i heard back in like '05 and i always wanted them to tour together. i'll be at the LA show for sure.

SomewhereInTime72
08-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Ensiferum are the best folk/viking/whatever style band around. And Finntroll are pretty damn good as well. The nyc date being on a saturday, I'll probably go.

mankvill
08-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Ensiferum are the best folk/viking/whatever style

melodic death metal.

teehee!

mastodon421
08-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Will try to hit this up Finntroll and Enfiserum are both awesome.

idrinkwine732
08-17-2010, 12:00 PM
I really dig Barren Earth, and I think this could be my only opportunity to see them. So I will. I've seen everyone else though, and haven't heard of Rotten Sound.

evildeadjedi
08-17-2010, 12:06 PM

Exactly, it's a very eclectic mix to say the least :lol: and damn fine hat I plan on getting one of those when my black one needs retired.

NecroRob
08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Yesssssssss February 12th is a Saturday, unless something unforeseen happens I will be there.

mankvill
08-17-2010, 12:09 PM
I really dig Barren Earth, and I think this could be my only opportunity to see them. So I will. I've seen everyone else though, and haven't heard of Rotten Sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqeV-4NmYUk

epic folk metal, bro

girnny777
08-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Most likely skipping this one. Ensiferum has a few kick ass tunes but most of their stuff just goes in one ear and out the other. I caught Finntroll once in 2006 and then again a year later. They were good but I wasn't into the last 2 records. Also, they have no original members so I'm pretty meh on them.

idrinkwine732
08-17-2010, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqeV-4NmYUk

epic folk metal, bro

:shred::shred:

DementedX14
08-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Feb. 19 - Chicago, IL - Reggie Rock Club

Reggies on a Saturday, I'm there. I am huge fan of both Finntroll and Ensiferum. But I like Rotten Sound also, I thought they would never tour the US but I am glad that they are on this tour as well. :D

makethemsuffer12
08-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Well, yeah. You can be the lousiest songwriters of all time and throw on kilts and facepaint and get a hurdy-gurdy player up there and the crowd will go wild. Just ask Eluveitie, who have written seriously some of the worst "metal" songs I've ever heard.

:finger2: Suck my dick, Eluveitie is the shit. Some of the most fun I've ever had at a show was during their set earlier this year.

mankvill
08-17-2010, 01:00 PM
I think Ensiferum would be great to see, especially since their last album is definitely Viking metal, not folk or melodeath.

I wish Mithotyn would reunite. :bouville:

JuuKun
08-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I was completely baffled when Folk Metal blew up the way it did, having been a fan of it for quite some time and thinking I'd never get to see some of these bands without going to Heathen Crusade or something.

With the current popularity of Folk/Viking/etc, I think these tours should really be used to get new bands exposure over here, though. As a fan, I think Ensiferum/Finntroll is an awesome pairing (I also love Rotten Sound, so it'll be great to see them no matter how out of place they are), but Ensiferum can headline on their own. Looking back at the first two Paganfests: Each band on both tours (minus Swashbuckle, who didn't belong in the first place) were touring the US for the very first time. With the sole exception of Primordial, they've all come back since then either headlining (Korpiklaani, Ensiferum, Tyr, Eluveitie) or at the very least supporting fairly established bands (DragonForce/Turisas, Finntroll/Moonsorrow, Every Band Ever/Blackguard)

Instead of having Finntroll and Ensiferum tour together, have Finntroll go out with Manegarm, and have Ensiferum tour with Equilibrium. Maybe put something together with Moonsorrow or Primordial and Thyrfing.

My point being: The Folk/Viking scenes have some REALLY good bands out there that haven't toured over here, and instead of recycling the bands that tour here all the time by having them all tour together, have them take out bands in the same "scene" that have little to no exposure over here.

Northern_Shaman
08-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree with you so much, JuuKun. I would also rather see a 90 minute Ensiferum set, and a 90 minute Finntroll set on separate nights than an hour of both on the same night. Would love to see Equilibrium live.

Ensiferum being my favourite band for years now... Fuck. No Vancouver date =(. Though there is room for one between Seattle and Calgary...

ShatteredFlame
08-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Finally will get the chance to go to a folk metal show. Rotten Sound is great but Barren Earth is shit.

And yeah I agree, I wish they would stop piling shit bands on the bottom of these tours. Bring Manegram and Vintersong over or even Twilight of the Gods or Varg.

treghet
08-17-2010, 02:07 PM
I would have to agree as well. I love both Finntroll and Ensiferum, and it will be cool to see them on the same tour, but at the same time, there are other bands that really need some exposure here.

Akumu
08-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Instead of having Finntroll and Ensiferum tour together, have Finntroll go out with Manegarm, and have Ensiferum tour with Equilibrium. Maybe put something together with Moonsorrow or Primordial and Thyrfing.

My point being: The Folk/Viking scenes have some REALLY good bands out there that haven't toured over here, and instead of recycling the bands that tour here all the time by having them all tour together, have them take out bands in the same "scene" that have little to no exposure over here.

I agree with this.

I admit: as cool as it would be to see Barren Earth and Ensiferum, I'm a bit put off by Finntroll being one of the headliners again. Since the title's just "Finnish Metal" and not "Finnish Folk EXTRAVAGANZA and some other bands lol" I was sort of hoping for for the headliner to be someone different, like maybe Amorphis -- or, hell, Tarot. :\ Just because the first edition was predominantly folk doesn't mean every year has to be, unless this was created to be a replacement for Paganfest (in which case, change the bloody name).

kommie
08-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Also, they have no original members so I'm pretty meh on them.

Seriously? Their founding member is still there, Markus Toivonen

hendecatope
08-17-2010, 02:39 PM
I was hoping Insomnium would be on part 2 of this tour, but I have no complaints about Ensiferum/Finntroll.

DementedX14
08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I was hoping Insomnium would be on part 2 of this tour, but I have no complaints about Ensiferum/Finntroll.

Yeah I was hoping Insomnium will tour North America again with at least Katatonia or this tour, but oh well. Now that they are signed to Century Media maybe they will tour here soon.

Dissimulate
08-17-2010, 04:45 PM
The only band on this that really interests me is Rotten Sound, and I'm seeing them do a headlining set in September, so I'm going to skip this.

Wizzbang11
08-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Damn this is a really dissapointing tour, simply because Finland produces some of the best metal and none of those bands are on this tour.
Actually Finntroll are really cool.
I don't have a problem with folk metal, most of it isn't very good, but it's doesn't actively annoy me like the nu-thrash movement, deathcore, basement black metal stuff does. I'd rather see shitty folk metal live than a lot of stuff actually, like tech death, prog metal, power metal, and all the genres previously mentioned.
I still most likely will not see this.

Derelict
08-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah I was hoping Insomnium will tour North America with at least Katatonia or this tour, but oh well. Now that they are signed to Century Media maybe they will tour here soon.

They opened for Katatonia in 07 over here.

DementedX14
08-17-2010, 05:13 PM

Yeah I forgot to mention that. I missed that show thanks for reminding me. :(

idrinkwine732
08-17-2010, 05:41 PM

I think they'll do it soon, 3 years and a new release later. If not now, it'll happen in the next cycle.

daimonos
08-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Damn this is a really dissapointing tour, simply because Finland produces some of the best metal and none of those bands are on this tour.

Impaled Nazarene should be headlining this.

Wizzbang11
08-17-2010, 07:10 PM

Barathrum should be headlining this :bliss:

mankvill
08-17-2010, 07:11 PM

JuuKun
08-17-2010, 07:30 PM

:lovedup:

hendecatope
08-17-2010, 07:39 PM

Yeah, I know. I missed that monster tour that also had Scar Symmetry on the bill, I believe.

I have heard rumors that Insomnium has a new CD in the works, maybe next next fall.

JLRedWing13
08-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Barren Earth is amazing, I would go for them alone.

Derelict
08-18-2010, 05:13 PM
Barren Earth is amazing, I would go for them alone.

The cd is decent, and they were decent live when I saw them, but they sound so much like old amorphis to me it's kinda hard to get past.

Fires Of Sedition
08-18-2010, 10:31 PM
Yeah I was hoping Insomnium will tour North America again with at least Katatonia or this tour, but oh well. Now that they are signed to Century Media maybe they will tour here soon.

I'm pretty sure they WILL come to America soon because of their CM signing.

Natrlhi
08-19-2010, 10:00 AM
I think Ensiferum would be great to see, especially since their last album is definitely Viking metal, not folk or melodeath.Yes it is, and yes they are. ;)

Fires Of Sedition
08-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Errbody's freaking out about Barren Earth. I'm listening to Our Twilight, thinking "eh, it's okay but I don't see what's so amazing"

Am I just listening to the wrong song?

Natrlhi
08-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Well, they're popular, and I can't put my finger on why. They're not as bad as most of the stuff in their scene, I'll give them that, but it's still not really my bag. I just can't figure out how these massive American tours for all these folk metal bands keep happening when five years ago nobody had heard of them. And it's because they're a big trend right now with a million bands piggybacking the earlier acts - yes, just like neo thrash and, yes, just like deathcore. Every genre has its copycats, but it seems like usually metal fans sniff out the bullshit and only support the good stuff. These scenes are a big exception, anybody with a fiddle player, lyrics about vikings, and an unpronounceable name can tour here now it seems like.

And honestly, the existence of Blackguard is enough for me to know that this scene has gone too far. ;)A few random points regarding your thoughts expressed in the above posts:

I agree with your assessment that the folk metal thing is getting a little out of control, but I think it's because that's what's appealing to the teen nerds right now who are the equivalent to the ones who used to listen to generic metal and play D&D all day back in my generation. It's just their thing. I say live and let live - who cares if they like some cheesy shit. It's not like they're sucking money away from the black metal scene or anything.
I agree that the black metal scene seems to struggle, but I don't think it's because of folk metal or any other sub-genre...it just seems to be the way life is for black metal right now. We don't have to like it, but we don't have to blast other sub-genres because of it, either.
I started out not liking Ensiferum, but since I've seen them live, I've done a complete 180 on them. They really are fantastically good, and they don't deserve to be lumped in with all of the other cheesy bands in this sub-genre. Ensiferum is highly talented, their music is really catchy, and they are a hell of a lot of fun to watch live.
Be careful about being interpreted as blasting Viking metal, my friend (you came kinda close there). That's different from folk metal. Unleashed started the Viking metal thing back in the early 90's, and bands like Amon Amarth have followed their lead quite well. Both these bands - and many others - are making some pretty kickass metal now some two decades later, and that alone is worthy of kudos, if not outright praise.
For the umpteenth time, just because a sub-genre is filled with copycats doesn't mean that every band in the sub-genre sucks. That's just bad logic right there.
I've heard Blackguard is surprisingly good live. I can't confirm or deny it, but some of the people who told me that are folks whose opinion I trust, so...
Eluveitie does suck donkey dicks, I'll give you that. :barf: ;)
I'm done.

JuuKun
08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
A few random points regarding your thoughts expressed in the above posts:

[LIST=1] Unleashed started the Viking metal thing back in the early 90's

And by Unleashed, you mean the Bathory album Hammerheart, right? ;)

Natrlhi
08-19-2010, 11:43 AM
And by Unleashed, you mean the Bathory album Hammerheart, right? ;):lol: Tomayto, tomahto. ;)

treghet
08-19-2010, 11:47 AM
I like folk/viking metal, and I'll tell you this: STAY AWAY FROM BLACKGUARD. They're everything that's bad about the genre put together in one band.

JuuKun
08-19-2010, 11:47 AM
:lol: Tomayto, tomahto. ;)

Totally off topic, I know, but I've never actually heard someone pronounce it tomahto...

Natrlhi
08-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Totally off topic, I know, but I've never actually heard someone pronounce it tomahto...I wonder if Ravenheart does. :D

idrinkwine732
08-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Totally off topic, I know, but I've never actually heard someone pronounce it tomahto...

I wonder if Ravenheart does. :D

On that topic, when I lived in Britain, I went without hearing it the correct way for years. It was terrible :snivel:

kommie
08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
The thing about Blackguard is they throw in 'classical' style instruments just for the sake of it. none of the 'classical' style instruments feel like they're in their songs organically. Eluveitie on the other hand do a better job of those type of instruments, but if you don't like em, you don't like em

electrocute1031
08-20-2010, 08:32 AM
I can't wait for this show. Rotten Sound and Ensiferum are awesome live. Unfortunately I missed Finntroll live when they came around last March, so to finally see them live will be fun.

Northern_Shaman
10-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Anyone from Seattle going to this show? I may be driving down from Vancouver for it now. Ensiferum has been my favourite band for a looong time, and it doesn't look like a Van show is going to be announced, so... Yeah! Glad to finally see Finntroll as well, though Ensiferum is the draw for me. How's the venue?