PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling

DigMySpanky
08-06-2010, 10:21 AM
Since we're on the topic I wanted to know:

Who are your favorite wrestlers?
What events have you been to?
What are you all time favorite matches?

When I was a kid I was a big Randy Savage fan. He made everybody he got in the ring with look 10x better than they were. Early Taker, Warrior, Hitman, New Jack, and most of all RVD are some other favorites.

When I was young I went to Royal Rumble '94 which was sweet.

I used to love ECW, stopped watching WWF in 96 and tried to get back into it but it's pretty much a shell of what it once was. A castrated, crippled, shell. Living in CT I have to think a lot of it is attributed to Linda's senate campaign.

ChildrenofSodom
08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
I always like WCW...favorites were Goldberg and Sting. Haven't watching in probably 12 years though.

Derelict
08-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I've been to three events

03Oct2000 - Smackdown Taping - Baltimore Arena
30Jul2001 - Raw is War - Philly
August 2001 (there's no date on the ticket) - ECW Arena TV taping, didnt know it at the time but it ended up being the last show at ecw arena

Dont watch anymore, but i got a ton of enjoyment out of it in the late 90s/early 00s

ravenheart
08-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Haven't watched any since the early '90s, but SummerSlam '92 (which I believe was actually held in London) was outstanding and I watched it over and over on VHS.

Always was a fan of Undertaker and Warrior back then. The unnecessary theatrics pissed me off after a while and I stopped watching any of it around about when McMahon took over and it all got real silly real quick. I don't miss it.

TonyD
08-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Ugh

DethMaiden
08-06-2010, 11:39 AM
The Undertaker is the only wrestler I've ever followed, and I've kind of been off and on with him even. Before, during, and directly after the whole Chris Benoit fiasco I was really into wrestling though. I don't really have any motivation to get back into it.

Sanitarium78
08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Since we're on the topic I wanted to know:

Who are your favorite wrestlers?
What events have you been to?
What are you all time favorite matches?

When I was a kid I was a big Randy Savage fan. He made everybody he got in the ring with look 10x better than they were. Early Taker, Warrior, Hitman, New Jack, and most of all RVD are some other favorites.

When I was young I went to Royal Rumble '94 which was sweet.

I used to love ECW, stopped watching WWF in 96 and tried to get back into it but it's pretty much a shell of what it once was. A castrated, crippled, shell. Living in CT I have to think a lot of it is attributed to Linda's senate campaign.

Damn you stopped watching WWF in 1996? You missed a lot of good stuff.

My favorite wrestler of all time is The Undertaker. He has been for a very long time and no one will ever top him. Some of my other all time favorites are Randy Savage, Mr. Perfect, Roddy Piper, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Chris Jericho, HHH and Chris Benoit. I know what Benoit did to his family and himself was terrible but it doesn't change for me how good he was in the ring.

My dad first started taking me to WWF shows in the mid 80s when I was a kid. I've been to televised shows, non TV shows, PPVs etc. I was at wrestlemanina in Toronto in 2002. Triple H beat Jericho in the main event for the WWF undisputed title. This was also the wrestlemania that had the epic encounter between the Rock and Hulk Hogan. It was awesome being in the crowd for that match.

Wrestlers i've meet before:

The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart & The Anvil) sometime in the late 80s at an autograph signing. They had the tag title belts with them and everyone got to touch them.

Rady Savage and Elizabeth- At an autrograph signing sometime before wresltmania 4 when Savage won the WWF title.

Ric Flair, The Big Show and Chris Benoit - WWF fan acsess wrestlemaina weekend 2002. I have all their autographs still.

I still somewhat pay attention today because some of my favorites from the attitude era like Undertaker, Kane, Jericho, HHH, Edge and Christian are still around but the newer generation doesn't have anything too special and doesn't get me excited at all.

rjturtle9
08-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Favorite wrestlers: Mick Foley and "Sick" Nick Mondo (CZW)

I've only been to one live event and it was an XWW show in my area. Not a big fan of wresling anymore, except for the indys.

As for matches... I'll get back to you guys on that later.

InPatient5100
08-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Favorite wrestlers: Mick Foley and "Sick" Nick Mondo (CZW)

I've only been to one live event and it was an XWW show in my area. Not a big fan of wresling anymore, except for the indys.

As for matches... I'll get back to you guys on that later.

Foley, still going strong in TNA.

rjturtle9
08-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Foley, still going strong in TNA.

Yeah, I tune into TNA every now and then, but I'm really disappointed in the product. They became the new WCW, but for alll the bad reasons.

InPatient5100
08-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Yeah, I tune into TNA every now and then, but I'm really disappointed in the product. They became the new WCW, but for alll the bad reasons.

I agree, they did get some new acquisitions though picking up Jeff Hardy, Mr. Anderson (formerly Mr. Kennedy), and RVD (who is their champion. But yeah, they are the new WCW, they have Hogan, Kevin Nash, Ric Flair, and Sting still going.

Symbolic
08-07-2010, 05:10 AM
My favourite match of all time has to be The Rock vs Hogan at wrestlemania 18
It wasnt even that good of a match wrestling wise but the crowd response more than made up for it, i still get goosebumps when i watching it.
And i agree with you all saying TNA is the new WCW, why Hogan, flair and Nash (who shouldnt have ever been in the ring to be begin with) are still in the ring in 2010 is beyond me. If you had told me ten years ago that these guys were still wrestling i would have laughed, but its beyond a joke now.

InPatient5100
08-07-2010, 07:01 AM
My favourite match of all time has to be The Rock vs Hogan at wrestlemania 18
It wasnt even that good of a match wrestling wise but the crowd response more than made up for it, i still get goosebumps when i watching it.
And i agree with you all saying TNA is the new WCW, why Hogan, flair and Nash (who shouldnt have ever been in the ring to be begin with) are still in the ring in 2010 is beyond me. If you had told me ten years ago that these guys were still wrestling i would have laughed, but its beyond a joke now.

I remember that match, it was funny all the fans were cheering for Hogan.

DigMySpanky
08-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Damn you stopped watching WWF in 1996? You missed a lot of good stuff.

My favorite wrestler of all time is The Undertaker. He has been for a very long time and no one will ever top him. Some of my other all time favorites are Randy Savage, Mr. Perfect, Roddy Piper, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, Steve Austin, Mick Foley, Chris Jericho, HHH and Chris Benoit. I know what Benoit did to his family and himself was terrible but it doesn't change for me how good he was in the ring.

My dad first started taking me to WWF shows in the mid 80s when I was a kid. I've been to televised shows, non TV shows, PPVs etc. I was at wrestlemanina in Toronto in 2002. Triple H beat Jericho in the main event for the WWF undisputed title. This was also the wrestlemania that had the epic encounter between the Rock and Hulk Hogan. It was awesome being in the crowd for that match.

Wrestlers i've meet before:

The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart & The Anvil) sometime in the late 80s at an autograph signing. They had the tag title belts with them and everyone got to touch them.

Rady Savage and Elizabeth- At an autrograph signing sometime before wresltmania 4 when Savage won the WWF title.

Ric Flair, The Big Show and Chris Benoit - WWF fan acsess wrestlemaina weekend 2002. I have all their autographs still.

I still somewhat pay attention today because some of my favorites from the attitude era like Undertaker, Kane, Jericho, HHH, Edge and Christian are still around but the newer generation doesn't have anything too special and doesn't get me excited at all.

I became disenchanted with a lot of the attitude era bullshit. I did catch some things like the Mick Foley hardcore fights and a couple other things, but at the time I couldn't stand all the bullshit. I went back and watched what I determined to be the necessary matches years down the road. I have copies of every Summerslam and WM, as well as several other compilations.

The current WWF format is garbage. A bunch of no-named idiots who look like they were fratboys turned underwear models turned "wrestlers." The gimmicks are terrible and the writing is shameful. Both TNA and WWF rely way too much on dinosaurs.

We didn't know how good we had it with the real ECW. I miss the RVD/Tommy Dreamer fights among other things.

DigMySpanky
08-07-2010, 07:59 AM
BTW if you haven't youtubed botchamania, it's the best video series of all time.

Sanitarium78
08-07-2010, 10:07 AM

My main disappointment with TNA is that they seem afraid of making any money. They have the money to sign popular former WWE champs like Kurt Angle, RVD and Jeff Hardy and have popular vets like Sting yet a lot of people have no clue who they are. I think they have a better roster and put on more exciting matches than the WWE does right now. But they don't market at all and let people know about them. I'm not saying they should be playing the same arenas WWE does but they should at least be able to play in 5-6 thousand seat arenas with no problem instead of playing at the Impact Zone every week.

I agree, they did get some new acquisitions though picking up Jeff Hardy, Mr. Anderson (formerly Mr. Kennedy), and RVD (who is their champion. But yeah, they are the new WCW, they have Hogan, Kevin Nash, Ric Flair, and Sting still going.

Hogan is an "on air athority figure" so I don't mind that he's around. Sting, Nash and Flair do the job of being serviceable verterans. It's not like they're hogging the world title scene anymore so i'm OK with them still being there.

I remember that match, it was funny all the fans were cheering for Hogan.

I was at that show live and the crowd was insane for Hogan and booing the shit outta the Rock. It was awesome, the crowd was like 90 percent in Hogans favor. Everyone was in shock when the Rock won but it was the right call since Hogan has had enough big wins and it helped the Rock further his legendary status.

The current WWF format is garbage. A bunch of no-named idiots who look like they were fratboys turned underwear models turned "wrestlers." The gimmicks are terrible and the writing is shameful. Both TNA and WWF rely way too much on dinosaurs.

We didn't know how good we had it with the real ECW. I miss the RVD/Tommy Dreamer fights among other things.

I don't think the WWE is relying too much on the old guys. They do have a decent youth monvemnet going right now. Unfortunately the only guy among them who has the wrestling skill and charisma to be a star for years to come is CM Punk.

I miss the old ECW as well but they've got a ton of DVDs of that out there now and you can relive it any time you want. Which is better because I don't wanna see those guys, who are all 40 or better now, try and wrestle like that and kill themselves today.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-07-2010, 10:13 AM
I watched a little in the late 90's early 00's thanks to a friend who was a huge wrestling fan. I even went to Wrestlemania 17 in the astrodome. Other than that, I saw WCW, ECW and WWF Raw roll through Dallas.

I haven't watched it in years. It got too stupid and was the same story lines over and over.

Div
08-07-2010, 10:28 AM
http://digitalkore.net/~matthew/images/Chris_benoit_brb.jpg

InPatient5100
08-07-2010, 11:48 AM
I watched a little in the late 90's early 00's thanks to a friend who was a huge wrestling fan. I even went to Wrestlemania 17 in the astrodome. Other than that, I saw WCW, ECW and WWF Raw roll through Dallas.

I haven't watched it in years. It got too stupid and was the same story lines over and over.

Wrestlemania 17 that was a pretty good one they had The Rock/Austin, HHH/Undertaker, and Edge/Christian vs. The Hardys in a TLC match. You're lucky you saw that live man.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Wrestlemania 17 that was a pretty good one they had The Rock/Austin, HHH/Undertaker, and Edge/Christian vs. The Hardys in a TLC match. You're lucky you saw that live man.

Yeah. Don't forget that Motorhead was there as well, playing HHH's theme.

rjturtle9
08-07-2010, 01:24 PM
My main disappointment with TNA is that they seem afraid of making any money. They have the money to sign popular former WWE champs like Kurt Angle, RVD and Jeff Hardy and have popular vets like Sting yet a lot of people have no clue who they are. I think they have a better roster and put on more exciting matches than the WWE does right now. But they don't market at all and let people know about them. I'm not saying they should be playing the same arenas WWE does but they should at least be able to play in 5-6 thousand seat arenas with no problem instead of playing at the Impact Zone every week.

Hogan is an "on air athority figure" so I don't mind that he's around. Sting, Nash and Flair do the job of being serviceable verterans. It's not like they're hogging the world title scene anymore so i'm OK with them still being there.

Yes on all of this.

The reason I call TNA the new WCW is not becuse of guys like Sting, Nash, Hogan, Flair... etc, although it is a great point. What I don't like is the fact that they are taking too much of WWE's past talent. And even worse, those are the guys who are winning the title. It seems like every PPV main event is an ex WWE wrestler against a veteren guy, who is also from a previous promotion. All this does is make the WWE look better.

They need to give the belt back to original TNA talent like Styles or Joe. Plus, they need to focus more on the X Division, since that was their real attention getter back when they were underground. And please please please bring back the 6 sided ring! Doesn't really feel like TNA without it.

InPatient5100
08-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Yes on all of this.

The reason I call TNA the new WCW is not becuse of guys like Sting, Nash, Hogan, Flair... etc, although it is a great point. What I don't like is the fact that they are taking too much of WWE's past talent. And even worse, those are the guys who are winning the title. It seems like every PPV main event is an ex WWE wrestler against a veteren guy, who is also from a previous promotion. All this does is make the WWE look better.

They need to give the belt back to original TNA talent like Styles or Joe. Plus, they need to focus more on the X Division, since that was their real attention getter back when they were underground. And please please please bring back the 6 sided ring! Doesn't really feel like TNA without it.

I like RVD, but I wouldn't mind Styles being champ.

MPF
08-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I used to be addicted to wrestling from about 4 years old to 15. Pretty much around the time that Stone Cold left wrestling for the most part is where I stopped caring.

I loved ECW the most. It was real wrestling with guys beating the shit out of each other. It was amazing till WWF bought it.

The day I realized wrestling the fake was the Monday Night Raw that Mae Young gave birth to a hand with Mark Henry. I was scarred for life.

I still have some of my wresting memorabilia, like my Stone Cold Autograph, Hogan Autograph, and a Jesse Ventura doll from he was running for Governor. ut I'm pretty much done with it all.

I tune in once in a while, like last week I seen Kane talking into a Casket saying Rey Mysterio was going to be Buried Alive. I couldn't tell you the story line, but I can't take it seriously.

I never really gave TNA a chance. When I noticed that they got rid of the 6 sided ring, again, I lost all interest.

Symbolic
08-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Only been to one wrestling show, smackdown in 2004.
Got backstage and got a few autographs of the guys. Kurt Angle, Torrie wilson ;) among others.
But my most prized wrestling possesion is getting the autograph of the late great Eddie Guerrero
R.I.P.

Sanitarium78
08-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Only been to one wrestling show, smackdown in 2004.
Got backstage and got a few autographs of the guys. Kurt Angle, Torrie wilson ;) among others.
But my most prized wrestling possesion is getting the autograph of the late great Eddie Guerrero
R.I.P.

What I like is that all the wrestlers i've meet have all seemed really cool and appreciative of their fans. Especially when I got Chris Benoit's autograph in 2002. He stayed longer than his scheduled time to make sure everyone got an autograph and he was chatting with everyone to. He talked with my brother and I for a few minutes when we went up towards the end of the session.

It's a shame how his life ended though. But looking back on it his character always seemed to be "this close" to going psychotic. So in the end it looks like he really wasn't playing a character but possibly being his true self on screen. Very eerie indeed.

Eddie Guerrero was a lot of fun and always entertaining. Much like Peter Steel from Type O Negative all those years of heavy drug use cut his life short dispite getting clean.

InPatient5100
08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
What I like is that all the wrestlers i've meet have all seemed really cool and appreciative of their fans. Especially when I got Chris Benoit's autograph in 2002. He stayed longer than his scheduled time to make sure everyone got an autograph and he was chatting with everyone to. He talked with my brother and I for a few minutes when we went up towards the end of the session.

It's a shame how his life ended though. But looking back on it his character always seemed to be "this close" to going psychotic. So in the end it looks like he really wasn't playing a character but possibly being his true self on screen. Very eerie indeed.

Eddie Guerrero was a lot of fun and always entertaining. Much like Peter Steel from Type O Negative all those years of heavy drug use cut his life short dispite getting clean.

I was really surprised Beniot went nuts and killed his whole family, he seemed like a really nice guy and defintely not the type to do that.