PDA

View Full Version : Metalcore and Other Forms of False Metal

DigMySpanky
08-02-2010, 06:34 AM
I've never really been vocal about my disdain for metalcore and other forms of false metal until now, having had some time to reflect on my trip to Mayhem fest. The reason is because when I was in high school and younger, I listened to some gay ass music. Although I had thrash pretty much locked down, I was a Death Metal noob and the same goes for Black, Grind, Doom, etc. One minute I'd be listening to Morbid Angel, then I'd be at a party playing Alive or Just Breathing by Killswitch. Eventually I went to college and learned more about metal in one afternoon than I knew in my entire life previous to that day. So the Metalcore and Cock Rock was sort of a stepping stone.

Now, I don't want to be a dick, but I have to wonder in the age of instant gratification technology how the fuck can anybody in their right fucking mind pick up this bullshit metalcore scene shit and like it? It takes literally 5 minutes to find a musically superior band than the one you like that has a funny ironic name, and it wont be gimmick laden talentless shit either! Again, I understand that music tastes are subjective, and you can flame away for saying "musically superior" but I can't help it when I see a band like FFDP or hear people talk about how sicknasty Blowjob For a Cockboy is. There's way too much good shit coming out now to be wasting time on that bullshit.

And that's not getting into the classics.

It boils down to this:
Chosing metalcore or other forms of false metal is like chosing to jerk off instead of getting laid.

InPatient5100
08-02-2010, 06:58 AM
And you have to remember Ozzy really fostered metalcore by having those bands like Unearth, Bleeding Through, and All That Remains on Ozzfest countless numbers of times.

DigMySpanky
08-02-2010, 07:04 AM
^This is a great point. How many times have we seen well established metal figures or great bands bring flashpan bullshit on tour?

Indestructible
08-02-2010, 07:41 AM
All metal is real metal. Its just opinion on if you like it or not. Thatís what this site lacks people who donít have respect for the musical opinions of others. Everyone here listens to metal bands I donít like but I donít care if they like it. If screaming and growling,metalcore ect appeals to you then listen to it if it doesnít then stay away. Its music you all take it way to seriously there are many more important things in life. There is a whole world of knowledge waiting start learning.

Maiden33
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
All metal is real metal. Its just opinion on if you like it or not. Thatís what this site lacks people who donít have respect for the musical opinions of others. Everyone here listens to metal bands I donít like but I donít care if they like it. If screaming and growling,metalcore ect appeals to you then listen to it if it doesnít then stay away. Its music you all take it way to seriously there are many more important things in life. There is a whole world of knowledge waiting start learning.

Says the person who on multiple occasions said:

"Grindcore is not music."

DethMaiden
08-02-2010, 07:50 AM
Did it ever occur to OP that some people really like metalcore better than whatever you believe the logical next step is? I don't, but why should people have to "graduate" to something they have no interest in. I went to high school with the metalcore/deathcore band Miss May I, and I can honestly say that maybe 5% of the kids who go to their shows own an Iron Maiden or Death or even At the Gates record. Metal's branched off so much that there's no requirement to be interested in all of it if one corner of it is fulfilling enough for you. Perhaps these kids should be asking you why you don't like metalcore since it finally brought clean vocals and breakdowns and accessibility to melodic death metal?

ChildrenofSodom
08-02-2010, 07:55 AM
I like some metalcore. Not all of it, but bands like Shadows Fall, All That Remains, some KsE, Unearth, Darkest Hour, As I Lay Dying, and The Autumn Offering. If I'm "not metal" for liking those bands, then so be it. I still listen to everything from progressive power metal to technical death metal to melodic death doom....Its all based on preference, and shunning any person because they don't like your "kind of metal" is pretty lame.

Indestructible
08-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Says the person who on multiple occasions said:

I personally belive that grindcore is not music. But I dont give a fuck if you listen to it. By this definition of what music is grindcore is not music.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/music

Derelict
08-02-2010, 07:58 AM
Just posting so that I can tell my grandchildren that I was in on the ground floor of a truly awesome thread.

ChildrenofSodom
08-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Just posting so that I can tell my grandchildren that I was in on the ground floor of a truly awesome thread.

:lol: We're making history here.

evildeadjedi
08-02-2010, 08:26 AM
:tp: :zzz: :violin: :deadhorse: :blah: :lame:

I have heard this in all forms of music, it's not just metal. Everyone wants to establish that their "metal, hardcore, progressive rock, hip hop. punk, rock, blues, country, techno, industrial, stoner, reggae, etc" is the "true version" of said music. All these discussions are pointless because, everyone has their opinion and you're not going to sway these opinions. No matter how many times you say "KSE or Job For a Cowboy or who ever sucks and shouldn't be playing music." The bands are still going to play shows and there will still be ninjas in the pits plain and simple.

ShatteredFlame
08-02-2010, 08:30 AM
The only problem I have with metalcore kids is that, they have like no roots at all. Its not like there is some timeless band they can all trace back to for the "oldschool shit". Its just whatever is currently out.

I'm 17 and have listened to my fair share of everything but was never interested in metalcore besides a few songs. Hardcore and grindcore are more my thing and its a shame how these genres are often overlooked for metalcore.

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 08:31 AM
:lol: We're making history here.No, we're not. This is going to suck ass.

I personally belive that grindcore is not music. But I dont give a fuck if you listen to it. By this definition of what music is grindcore is not music.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/musicI challenge you to post even one coherent sentence that explains how grindcore fails to meet the definition that you posted.

(Hands bibble a length of rope tied in the shape of a noose)

makethemsuffer12
08-02-2010, 08:34 AM
http://asdfail.info/random/fail_thread.jpg

Indestructible
08-02-2010, 08:44 AM
No, we're not. This is going to suck ass.

I challenge you to post even one coherent sentence that explains how grindcore fails to meet the definition that you posted.

(Hands bibble a length of rope tied in the shape of a noose)

Grindcore lacks melody and harmony.

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 08:52 AM

Did you read the part about rhythm, or are you just conveniently dismissing that part?

Derelict
08-02-2010, 08:54 AM
The term false metal makes me think of this

http://media.skateboard.com.au/forum/images/Manowar4.jpg

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 09:00 AM
^ That shit is way worse than a lot of metalcore. Also, it BURNS MY FUCKING EYES!!!!

By the way, Mastodon is considered by most popular genre-police to be metalcore (or at least rooted in metalcore).

So much for metalcore being universally shitty across the board.

Busting bogus generalizations on this joint since March 2009,

The Nat :horns:

Indestructible
08-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Did you read the part about rhythm, or are you just conveniently dismissing that part?

Grindcore also lacks rhythm. I dont see how growling and blast beats is music when that is all the track has how is it music.

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Grindcore also lacks rhythm. I dont see how growling and blast beats is music when that is all the track has how is it music.Then clearly you don't understand the definition of the word rhythm. Maybe you should go look it up.

(Hint: Rhythm can be either fast or slow.)

larvtard
08-02-2010, 09:05 AM

I think it has melody :D

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 09:07 AM
I think it has melody :D
Some of it does, you are correct. I just knew the rhythm part alone was enough to win the argument and send bibble home packing. Of course, he'lll probably fail to see the logic and continue to argue endlessly about it, but hey - that's what makes him...him.

mastodon421
08-02-2010, 09:36 AM
This might be the stupidest thread I have ever seen. Bye.

daimonos
08-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Grindcore also lacks rhythm. I dont see how growling and blast beats is music when that is all the track has how is it music.

You obviously haven't heard good grindcore. I'm guessing the only kind of grindcore you've heard is something like Anal Cunt, or other obnoxious bands.

Go listen to Brutal Truth, Napalm Death, Nasum, Phobia, Pig Destroyer, Cephalic Carnage, Regurgitate, Terrorizer, and Carcass, then you'll realize how wrong your statements are.

DigMySpanky
08-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Look I'm not saying that liking metalcore means you suck. I'm just saying that metalcore/mallcore/cockrock/etc sucks. I like some pretty lame music in other genres so it's fine. I don't believe there are different levels of "metal" that people can be. It's not fucking world of warcraft, you don't level up because you have a signed copy of The Nocturnal Silence. Although you would be pretty fucking cool. Everybody has their own tastes, and I'm cool with that.

I PERSONALLY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND how people can be so into such shitty music. And I'm mainly talking about popular bands that people think are awesome that suck: iwrestledabearonce, white chapel, FFDP, JFAC, Devildriver, Chimaira, etc. That's all I'm saying.

Grindcore isn't music? Go tell that to Napalm Death, Repulsion, Carcass, and Pig Destroyer.

DigMySpanky
08-02-2010, 09:50 AM
:tp: :zzz: :violin: :deadhorse: :blah: :lame:

I have heard this in all forms of music, it's not just metal. Everyone wants to establish that their "metal, hardcore, progressive rock, hip hop. punk, rock, blues, country, techno, industrial, stoner, reggae, etc" is the "true version" of said music. All these discussions are pointless because, everyone has their opinion and you're not going to sway these opinions. No matter how many times you say "KSE or Job For a Cowboy or who ever sucks and shouldn't be playing music." The bands are still going to play shows and there will still be ninjas in the pits plain and simple.

Oh the irony: we're beating a dead horse, but here's my paragraph rant!

DigMySpanky
08-02-2010, 09:52 AM
This might be the stupidest thread I have ever seen. Bye.

This is the gayest thing I've read in ages:
" I didn't stay for Decapitated because it was my friend's girlfriend's birthday and he wanted to spend some time with her."

But thanks for posting anyway...I'll see you at the Palladium sometime soon I'm sure ;0)!

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm mainly talking about popular bands that people think are awesome that suck: iwrestledabearonce, white chapel, FFDP, JFAC, Devildriver, Chimaira, etc.Hey. I like some Chimaira. Their last album was lame as fuck, but they do have some decent material. I saw them once for free, and I didn't feel like I wasted my money.

Grindcore isn't music? Go tell that to Napalm Death, Repulsion, Carcass, and Pig Destroyer.Yeah, he's not going to listen to you or me or Daimonos or anyone else. It's just fun to get him to try and defend his tired-ass opinion on grindcore every once in a while, because he can't do it.

DigMySpanky
08-02-2010, 10:08 AM
Dudes/Women

I'm not trying to insult anybody's taste here. As one person pointed out, I like Primus which is fronted by a weird dude who talks like a prospector from the 1850's. I also know the words to a couple George Michael songs. I used to listen to Reveille. I could give you guys enough material to flame me for years.

But can anybody really defend any of the bands I named? Can you honestly point to a song and say "listen to how great this is!"? If so, let me know I'm very open minded.

Sanitarium78
08-02-2010, 10:51 AM
But can anybody really defend any of the bands I named? Can you honestly point to a song and say "listen to how great this is!"? If so, let me know I'm very open minded.

Well, I like Shadows Fall and they're considered metalcore as far as I know even though I just consider them metal.

Here's a song from them for you to check out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9aILL_CF3E

Devildriver is a band that you've "labled" metalcore as well but once again I just consider them metal.

Here's a song from them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2_wWUNPGY

xStructualDefect
08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
:lol: at this thread.

Crionics
08-02-2010, 11:02 AM
You have to listen to tr00 kvlt bands that limit their albums to three copies each to be metal.

Now seriously, I don't like Metalcore (save BTBAM and Shadows Fall if you want to consider those 2 metalcore) or Deathcore at all. But that's my personal taste. If someone listens to either of the 2 genres I'm completely fine with it as long as the person doesn't say like "l0l BFMV is so much more hardcore and heavier than your grandpa shit like Iron Maiden and AC/DC." I would consider somebody who loves Core stuff just as metal as any of us as long as they also listen to Maiden, Slayer, etc. Sure I might bash some core bands and say they suck, and ok I might not consider it "real metal" but that's my opinion, if you like them that's fine with me. Just don't call Suicide Silence "black metal", and I think that's where most "true" metalheads get their whole "bash core" attitude from: they see the core fans disrespectful.

And for the record, Grindcore is good damnit...
:2cents:

Sanitarium78
08-02-2010, 11:03 AM
The other thing I noticed on this thread is that the OP is singling out the genre and the bands he doesn't like but doesn't say anything about what specific bands he likes.

If you're gonna trash bands in a certian genre you should at least name the bands you think are better and maybe provide links to their songs.

mastodon421
08-02-2010, 11:10 AM
This is the gayest thing I've read in ages:
" I didn't stay for Decapitated because it was my friend's girlfriend's birthday and he wanted to spend some time with her."

But thanks for posting anyway...I'll see you at the Palladium sometime soon I'm sure ;0)!

There is a thing called being a good friend man. I fucking love Decapitated and I would loved to stay for them but I didn't drive there he did so it wasn't possible.

NecroRob
08-02-2010, 11:10 AM
I really don't understand the point of this thread. I agree with you that metalcore is terrible, but what's the point in ranting about it? To make you look cool? It is frustrating that people think it's the greatest "metal" genre on Earth, but whatcha gonna do? Most people don't spend enough time looking into different music, so they stick to what's comfortable to them which is metalcore.

And btw, grindcore is music. In fact, some of it is great music. I can understand not liking it, but saying it's not music is just plain ridiculous and ignorant.

idrinkwine732
08-02-2010, 11:50 AM
There is a thing called being a good friend man. I fucking love Decapitated and I would loved to stay for them but I didn't drive there he did so it wasn't possible.

Like I said in the other thread, you're the best wingman of all time. The karma will come back to you.

InPatient5100
08-02-2010, 01:06 PM
^This is a great point. How many times have we seen well established metal figures or great bands bring flashpan bullshit on tour?

Also Ozzy's former longtime guitar player Zakk Wylde might have had a role in placing those bands on the tour, I've read in certain metal music magazines that he's a big fan of metalcore acts such as Avenged Sevenfold and Shadows Fall.

makethemsuffer12
08-02-2010, 01:19 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIScWpfZ2Z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UamRu1zMaDE&feature=related

daimonos
08-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah, Devildriver REALLY isn't a metalcore band. They're somewhere in the neighborhood of a cross between Melodic Death and Groove metal, and two of their albums (Fury of Our Makers Hand, and The Last Kind Words), fucking own. The other two are pretty good too. Chimaira is also pretty damn good, and I wouldn't call them metalcore at all. Their new album does have some breakdowns on it, but fuck it, it's still not metalcore. Shadows Fall is alright, but I think their music is a little bit tired out. The newest one of theirs was pretty good compared to some of their other stuff, I thought.

The rest of the bands on your list I really can't, and don't want to defend :lol:

InPatient5100
08-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Yeah, Devildriver REALLY isn't a metalcore band. They're somewhere in the neighborhood of a cross between Melodic Death and Groove metal, and two of their albums (Fury of Our Makers Hand, and The Last Kind Words), fucking own. The other two are pretty good too. Chimaira is also pretty damn good, and I wouldn't call them metalcore at all. Their new album does have some breakdowns on it, but fuck it, it's still not metalcore. Shadows Fall is alright, but I think their music is a little bit tired out. The newest one of theirs was pretty good compared to some of their other stuff, I thought.

The rest of the bands on your list I really can't, and don't want to defend :lol:

I think all the bands mentioned above should just call it quits.

makethemsuffer12
08-02-2010, 03:58 PM
I think all the bands mentioned above should just call it quits.

Devildriver, Chimaira, and Shadows Motherfucking Goddamn Fall> you.

NecroRob
08-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Chimaira is also pretty damn good, and I wouldn't call them metalcore at all. Their new album does have some breakdowns on it, but fuck it, it's still not metalcore.

Yes they are.

Dextrimental
08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
My favorite bands are PanterA and Slayer, I am going to see Cannibal Corpse and Suffocation end of this month, and Napalm Death were one fo the first bands I ever listened to.

I also own the KsE discography, the Trivium discography, and several other albums by bands such as Chimaira, Shadows Fall, As I Lay Dying etc.

I listen to all the bands mentioned ona daily basis, and often find my self switching from a Slayer track to a KsE track when I'm at home casually listening to music because I am in the mood for said KsE track. I still have long hair, a beard, wear a PanterA t shirt and spend most of any concert I go to in the pit.

Also, I love grindcore, IMO its not music though, simply because its supposed to be the anti-thesis of corporate music, its supposed to be noisey and out there and grab you by the balls. it has the composite parts of music, rhythm, harmony and melody, but, specially in the early days of ND and Carcass, these factors weren't considered in force, but thats what made it so great, and allowed it to be as influential and iconic as it has become with modern metal, nowadays it would be more musical though, with many of the bands dancing the line between grindcore and just straight up death metal. Thats my view on things anyway.

Thanks for reading! :P

InPatient5100
08-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Devildriver, Chimaira, and Shadows Motherfucking Goddamn Fall> you.

They all had a nice run, but I think it's now time for them to just hang it up.

powerslave_85
08-02-2010, 04:48 PM
First one to call Darkest Hour metalcore is gonna get stabbed.

daimonos
08-02-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes they are.

Are you saying that they are metalcore or agreeing with me? :lol:

My favorite bands are PanterA and Slayer, I am going to see Cannibal Corpse and Suffocation end of this month, and Napalm Death were one fo the first bands I ever listened to.

Also, I love grindcore, IMO its not music though, simply because its supposed to be the anti-thesis of corporate music, its supposed to be noisey and out there and grab you by the balls. it has the composite parts of music, rhythm, harmony and melody, but, specially in the early days of ND and Carcass, these factors weren't considered in force, but thats what made it so great, and allowed it to be as influential and iconic as it has become with modern metal, nowadays it would be more musical though, with many of the bands dancing the line between grindcore and just straight up death metal. Thats my view on things anyway.

Thanks for reading! :P

I will agree that there are some grindcore bands that don't really make "music". But you have to admit that Brutal Truth, Napalm Death, Nasum, ect. really is music.

Also, Suffocation is fucking awesome live. I want to see them again so bad. Have fun at that! :)

InPatient5100
08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Darkest Hour may very well quite possibly the worst metalcore band on the planet.

Dextrimental
08-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I will agree that there are some grindcore bands that don't really make "music". But you have to admit that Brutal Truth, Napalm Death, Nasum, ect. really is music.

Also, Suffocation is fucking awesome live. I want to see them again so bad. Have fun at that! :)

I will agree with latter day ND, BT and Nasum etc is music,but as I said they kinda dance the line between grind and death metal imo.

And thanks, this is rescheduled from last March so its gonna be awesome, CC and Suffocation are one day after the other on a weekend so its gonna be BRUTAL :D

InPatient5100
08-02-2010, 05:13 PM
I will agree with latter day ND, BT and Nasum etc is music,but as I said they kinda dance the line between grind and death metal imo.

And thanks, this is rescheduled from last March so its gonna be awesome, CC and Suffocation are one day after the other on a weekend so its gonna be BRUTAL :D

CC and Suffocation, they suck they should just retire already for heaven's sake.

Crionics
08-02-2010, 05:18 PM
CC and Suffocation, they suck they should just retire already for heaven's sake.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3110/timetostopposting.jpg (http://img85.imageshack.us/i/timetostopposting.jpg/)

makethemsuffer12
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM

Why don't you and Indestructible go make a suicide pact and rid this board of (most of its) stupidity once and for all.

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Yeah, Devildriver REALLY isn't a metalcore band.They're closer to metalcore than any other genre I can think of.

Chimaira is also pretty damn good, and I wouldn't call them metalcore at all. Their new album does have some breakdowns on it, but fuck it, it's still not metalcore.Are you serious? No. Chimaira is ABSOLUTELY a metalcore band - and I know what I'm talking about, because they're one of the few that I like.

First one to call Darkest Hour metalcore is gonna get stabbed.Darkest Hour is also without a doubt a metalcore band. Same logic as Chimaira - they are another one of the few that I like.

...it seems that somewhere along the way, some of you got the mistaken idea that in order for a band to be considered metalcore at all, their music has to have breakdowns in it. This is simply not true. Many metalcore music has breakdowns - especially the unholy abomination that is deathcore - but it isn't a prerequisite for classifying a band as metalcore. As I said earlier, Mastodon - among others - is considered to be metalcore or metalcore-inspired, and they have like one or two - vestigial at best - breakdowns in their entire catalog of music.

Indestructible
08-02-2010, 06:17 PM
They all had a nice run, but I think it's now time for them to just hang it up.

I wouldnít like it if Shadows Fall broke up. The last Shadows Fall album Retribution is there best and they still have a lot more in them. You may not like them but think about the fans of the band that would be mad if they ended.

powerslave_85
08-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Well then where the hell does the "core" part come in? I don't hear any hardcore influences in Darkest Hour at all, at least not any that weren't already imbedded in metal by bands like Slayer.

InPatient5100
08-02-2010, 06:24 PM
I wouldnít like it if Shadows Fall broke up. The last Shadows Fall album Retribution is there best and they still have a lot more in them. You may not like them but think about the fans of the band that would be mad if they ended.

I guarantee u no one would care if Shadows Fall disbanded or where somehow vanquished from the Earth.

Dextrimental
08-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Mtalcore is, by definition, metal meets hardcore, therefore the band is eseentially a metal band, with the riffs and general heaviness, combined with breakdowns, and melodic parts, foudn in many hardcore bands. Usually its breakdowns that are the part used, but other bands, like Trivium, use the melodic factor. LoG use the breakdown factor. That how I've always viewed metalcore. Even though I find it just another stupid label.

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 06:29 PM
I guarantee u no one would care if Shadows Fall disbanded or where somehow vanquished from the Earth.You do realize that if just one single person disagrees with you, your argument is totally false the way it is currently worded, right? All someone has to do is type something such as "I wouldn’t like it if Shadows Fall broke up" to make you look like a total toolbag, right?

Oh, wait...

I wouldn’t like it if Shadows Fall broke up.Yup. You just got pwned by fucking indestructibibble. My god, man - do you suck. I actually feel sorry for you right now. Tsk tsk.

treghet
08-02-2010, 06:32 PM
You just got pwned by fucking indestructibibble. My god, man - do you suck. I actually feel sorry for you right now. Tsk tsk.

That is truly embarrassing. :lol:

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Well then where the hell does the "core" part come in? I don't hear any hardcore influences in Darkest Hour at all, at least not any that weren't already imbedded in metal by bands like Slayer.

Mtalcore is, by definition, metal meets hardcore, therefore the band is eseentially a metal band, with the riffs and general heaviness, combined with breakdowns, and melodic parts, foudn in many hardcore bands. Usually its breakdowns that are the part used, but other bands, like Trivium, use the melodic factor. LoG use the breakdown factor. That how I've always viewed metalcore.

Dextrimental beat me to it. It's the melodic aspect, not breakdowns.

Dextrimental
08-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Dextrimental beat me to it. It's the melodic aspect, not breakdowns.

Pleasure to be of service :D

powerslave_85
08-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Okay, that makes no sense whatsoever, because traditional hardcore punk is almost completely devoid of melodic guitar parts or vocals.

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 06:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIScWpfZ2Z4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UamRu1zMaDE&feature=related

Those are good examples. So are these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04PlGzXx9Xg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ptFKs32HU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzv7O9siFXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yip66IRRnGw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVjSn3clRE8

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Okay, that makes no sense whatsoever, because traditional hardcore punk is almost completely devoid of melodic guitar parts or vocals.

Dude, melodic doesn't necessarily mean it sounds like "Mary Had a Little Lamb". A killer riff is still considered melody. Baroness and HOWL are sludge / doom bands that make heavy use (emphasis on the word HEAVY :D) of melody...in the form of badass riffs. So do many hardcore punk bands. So do many metalcore bands, such as Unearth (who are almost a carbon copy of Darkest Hour, or the other way around if you prefer). That's all I'm saying.

If you could just get it out of your head that "all metalcore is bad" or "when somebody refers to a band I like as metalcore, they must be be dissing the band", then you'll learn to accept that some very good bands have metalcore elements to them - and that's completely fucking OK.

I like Chimaira, Unearth and Darkest Hour - even though I think they are all either totally or partially metalcore.

:hippie:

It's deathcore that needs to fucking die. :mad:

(Sorry, though, Daimonos - I really can't get into DevilDriver that much. They don't suck - they just don't really inspire me to come back for more.) :snivel:

powerslave_85
08-02-2010, 07:11 PM
I don't think metalcore is automatically bad, I just think the term is heavily misused.

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't think metalcore is automatically bad, I just think the term is heavily misused.

I can get with that statement for sure. ;)

NecroRob
08-02-2010, 07:35 PM
First one to call Darkest Hour metalcore is gonna get stabbed.

...But they are...

:eyes:

They do have a bit more going on then the typical metalcore band though.

Are you saying that they are metalcore or agreeing with me? :lol:

They are without a doubt metalcore.

JRA
08-02-2010, 07:47 PM
This is one of those posts where I have to ask myself: "Do I really want to go through 60+ buttfucking posts?"

Natrlhi
08-02-2010, 07:48 PM
...But they are...

:eyes:

They do have a bit more going on then the typical metalcore band though.

They are without a doubt metalcore.OH, SWEET VALIDATION!!!

:D

daimonos
08-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah now that I listen to those songs and hear Chimaira, I do think it definitely is metalcore. I haven't listened to them in a long time, so I fucked up before. I still do not really think that Devildriver is a metalcore band though. Some of their stuff may have some hardcore elements, but it's pretty rare I think. Just my opinion, anyways. I may be wrong but whatever.

treghet
08-02-2010, 08:38 PM
If we really have to slap a label on DevilDriver... their early material is mallcore. Their more recent material has much more groove/melodic influence. The end.

ravenheart
08-03-2010, 01:25 AM
I PERSONALLY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND how people can be so into such shitty music. And I'm mainly talking about popular bands that people think are awesome that suck: iwrestledabearonce, white chapel, FFDP, JFAC, Devildriver, Chimaira, etc. That's all I'm saying.

And fans of that music probably can't understand why you listen to what you do. What's the difference? Who's right? If it makes you feel better, the kids who listen to that stuff are probably just as bad at putting their argumnent forward.

On the logical steps crap, if you'd have played death metal to a Sabbath fan in 1971 they'd have said exactly what you're saying now and there's absolutely no way they'd have considered that "graduating".

You don't have to like every spin-off of metal. You just don't have to care either. If you don't like it, ignore it. It's not that hard and you sound a lot less like a petulant, intollerant child if you do. Just sayin'.

DigMySpanky
08-03-2010, 03:17 AM
And fans of that music probably can't understand why you listen to what you do. What's the difference? Who's right? If it makes you feel better, the kids who listen to that stuff are probably just as bad at putting their argumnent forward.

On the logical steps crap, if you'd have played death metal to a Sabbath fan in 1971 they'd have said exactly what you're saying now and there's absolutely no way they'd have considered that "graduating".

You don't have to like every spin-off of metal. You just don't have to care either. If you don't like it, ignore it. It's not that hard and you sound a lot less like a petulant, intollerant child if you do. Just sayin'.

Ignorant child? This is coming from somebody who hypothesized playin DM in 1971. Yeah, okay and if we had handed the Confederates M16's things woulda been different too, buddy. If we had gone back to 1924 and killed Hitler in prison shit would have been different. And how do you know a Sabbath fan in 71 wouldn't have liked DM? I know a lot of old heads who loved Sabbath back then and love DM now.

RE: What's metalcore and what's not.

I'm not saying BoringDriver is anything. The title is Metalcore And Other Types...

Also, thanks for posting links. I will check them out when I get home from work.

As for what I like, well it depends on what genre we're talking about. Some day I'll write it up, but with lots of bands it's the whole only-these-albums-the-others-aren't-that-good thing. For instance, the whole death-n-roll thing Entombed did after Clandestine and Left Hand Path isn't really my thing.

So, from here on out let's not have any fucking animosity okay motherfuckers? Let's just share music ideas and not take shots at other people's taste in music. Unless it sucks and those people are core kids.

MPF
08-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Metal Is Metal!!!

That is all!

Derelict
08-03-2010, 04:53 AM
I'll never fucking understand why people care so much about slapping a label on something

DigMySpanky
08-03-2010, 05:04 AM
I'll never fucking understand why people care so much about slapping a label on something

I'll never fucking understand the scabs and warts on my schlong, but, much like labels, they'll always be there.

Derelict
08-03-2010, 05:19 AM
I'll never fucking understand the scabs and warts on my schlong, but, much like labels, they'll always be there.

Well the warts mean you have HPV. You might want to see a doctor.

DigMySpanky
08-03-2010, 05:22 AM
Well the warts mean you have HPV. You might want to see a doctor.

Why would I go see my doctor? My doctor is a dude and I don't think he's down to fuck anyways.

youngandaspiring
08-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Let's just share music ideas and not take shots at other people's taste in music. Unless it sucks and those people are core kids.
lolz

daimonos
08-03-2010, 07:26 AM
(Sorry, though, Daimonos - I really can't get into DevilDriver that much. They don't suck - they just don't really inspire me to come back for more.) :snivel:

:lol: It's ok. I know alot of people here don't like them, and I think alot of it has to do with the same old reasons that some people don't like other bands (i.e., this entire thread...). Someone earlier mentioned how they listened to Machine Head and just never grew out of it (it might have been this thread), well the same thing happened to me with Machine Head, and Devildriver. I don't listen to either very much anymore, but I still consider myself a fan of the bands. I went to see Devildriver live in January and they were great. Sure Suffocation played right before them and completely raped my mind, but that's besides the point ;)

ravenheart
08-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Ignorant child? This is coming from somebody who hypothesized playin DM in 1971. Yeah, okay and if we had handed the Confederates M16's things woulda been different too, buddy. If we had gone back to 1924 and killed Hitler in prison shit would have been different. And how do you know a Sabbath fan in 71 wouldn't have liked DM? I know a lot of old heads who loved Sabbath back then and love DM now.

I didn't say "ignorant", I said "intollerant". And you missed the point entirely.

Good job all round.

The point was not everyone buys into every evolution of a style, but that doesn't make them wrong. Look at the backlash hard rock music received early on. Over time it became more accepted. Death metal (stop calling it DM, everyone knows DM stands for Danger Mouse :eyes:) would have very likely felt the same resistance in the '70s, but things evolved towards it more gradually over a couple of decades and it avoided that kind of opposition. That wouldn't have made the haters in the '70s wrong about death metal. It would have just made death a spin-off of metal that they didn't enjoy. Just like metalcore is to you. In time you and everyone else will have forgotten about metalcore being a new strain of metal. It'll just be another strain of metal, and not one you listen to.

ravenheart
08-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Let's just share music ideas and not take shots at other people's taste in music.

You mean not do exactly what your entire thread set out to do?

Unless it sucks and those people are core kids.

This attempted caveat doesn't excuse the first part.

DigMySpanky
08-03-2010, 08:07 AM
You mean not do exactly what your entire thread set out to do?

This attempted caveat doesn't excuse the first part.

LOL excuse it from what?

Sanitarium78
08-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Metal Is Metal!!!

That is all!

That's how I see it as well. I understand labeling something Death Metal because it's a bit different from the rest of the genre but to me it's all just metal.

mankvill
08-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Metalcore is awesome.

Earth Crisis
Converge
Agnostic Front
Coalesce

Fuck yeah

DigMySpanky
08-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Not as cool as this new shit I invented called Harmonica-core.

The soon-to-be legendary lineup that pioneered the movement is:

Me- Harmonica
Bob Dylan- Harmonica
John Popper- Harmonica
Attack Attack's Autotuner Guy- Autotuned vocals (they blend in so sick with the harmonicas)
Hellhammer- Drums

makethemsuffer12
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Metalcore is awesome.

Earth Crisis
Converge
Agnostic Front
Coalesce

Fuck yeah

That's a joke, right?

b_halperin
08-03-2010, 12:48 PM
This thread sucks.

makethemsuffer12
08-03-2010, 12:48 PM
This thread sucks.

This.

Natrlhi
08-03-2010, 12:58 PM
This thread sucks.This.

I TOLD YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

:lol: We're making history here.No, we're not. This is going to suck ass.

mankvill
08-03-2010, 01:10 PM
That's a joke, right?

what

treghet
08-03-2010, 01:27 PM
This thread has gotten worse since I last checked it. :hecho:

makethemsuffer12
08-03-2010, 01:53 PM
what

You actually think that Agnostic Front is metalcore?

mankvill
08-03-2010, 02:03 PM
You actually think that Agnostic Front is metalcore?

early, early, early crossover metal and hardcore, yes.

ravenheart
08-03-2010, 02:06 PM
This thread has gotten worse since I last checked it. :hecho:

Fuuuuuck ;)

JRA
08-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I think this is the best thread to post that I commented on a Joey Jordison Drum solo video:

"Slipknot sucks, but that was pretty good!" (and it was)

I have gotten more butthurt comments about this in the past 24 hours than I ever have my entire screenname existence.

makethemsuffer12
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I think this is the best thread to post that I commented on a Joey Jordison Drum solo video:

"Slipknot sucks, but that was pretty good!" (and it was)

I have gotten more butthurt comments about this in the past 24 hours than I ever have my entire screenname existence.

Hahaha I remember a while back that I was arguing with some dipshit kid on Youtube that was saying how Iron Maiden is gay and that Slipknot was the best band ever. I also remember some butthurt metalcore kid that was trying to start a "Death to Death Metal" movement or something along the lines of that on Youtube. Funny shit.

ravenheart
08-03-2010, 04:46 PM
YouTube needs to die.

makethemsuffer12
08-03-2010, 05:06 PM
YouTube needs to die.

Well, the comments section at least :P

larvtard
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, the comments section at least :P

Whenever I listen to a song on YouTube, the first comment (the top-rated one) is almost ALWAYS "Metallica sucks!"

makethemsuffer12
08-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Whenever I listen to a song on YouTube, the first comment (the top-rated one) is almost ALWAYS "Metallica sucks!"

Figures.

SomewhereInTime72
08-03-2010, 07:18 PM
Just read this entire thread.

My IQ has halved.

JRA
08-03-2010, 08:51 PM
YouTube needs to die.

You need to die. Youtube is currently supplying my old-time WWF fix, among other things.

mankvill
08-03-2010, 09:01 PM
You need to die. Youtube is currently supplying my old-time WWF fix, among other things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7_LreuSY3Y

I was huge into WWF when I was a kid but I do not remember this "WHAT!" stuff and it's cracking me the fuck up.

JRA
08-03-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7_LreuSY3Y

I was huge into WWF when I was a kid but I do not remember this "WHAT!" stuff and it's cracking me the fuck up.

Yea I "grew out" of wrestling the same time the Attitude era was getting started, so I missed out on Austin, The Rock, D Generation X and the like. Watching them now, I kind of kick myself. They could make some damn good promos for sure, but there's still one man who's a little bit better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99fitG5XM4o

InPatient5100
08-03-2010, 09:19 PM
The new "WWE" wrestling isn't too bad, they have some pretty good guys most noteably current champion The Celtic Warrior Sheamus.

Natrlhi
08-03-2010, 09:45 PM
THIS GUY WAS THE MAN. PERIOD. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywSd7CsLglY)

daimonos
08-03-2010, 09:48 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa%27s_Slay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKrsAFWPnl4

:LOLFC:

rjturtle9
08-03-2010, 10:55 PM

NAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWufnwYOm4I

Derelict
08-04-2010, 04:53 AM
I watched a lot of wrestling freshman year of college (1998) with my room mate, right as they were really getting into the Attitude stuff. Some of that shit was hilarious. Kurt Angle fucking killed me every single time (which came a little later).

ravenheart
08-04-2010, 07:19 AM

Awesome. Low quality clips for people too cheap to buy DVDs.

Go YouTube :tp:

powerslave_85
08-04-2010, 07:22 AM
YouTube is like 98% bullshit (and the comments are enough to make you want to pray for a nuclear holocaust), but it's useful for bootleg live footage and old music videos.

evildeadjedi
08-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Yea I "grew out" of wrestling the same time the Attitude era was getting started, so I missed out on Austin, The Rock, D Generation X and the like. Watching them now, I kind of kick myself. They could make some damn good promos for sure, but there's still one man who's a little bit better...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99fitG5XM4o

Oh man you did miss out! Along with that you missed the NWO, The return of Sting, The Wolfpac, and Goldberg on WCW. DX was hilarious, the shit they would pull like when they all dressed up as the Nation of Domination (The Rock's old team). Austin was always a riot as well. Another great moment is when Mick Foley and The Rock would team up or when The Undertaker threw Foley off the top of the Hell in a Cell. Roddy Piper was the man no doubt! I loved the really old WWF with Andre The Giant, Iron Sheik, Super Fly Jimmy Snooka, Jake The Snake, Hulk Hogan, etc.

youngandaspiring
08-04-2010, 11:34 AM
I was huge into the WWF during the Attitude Years. I remember crying when HHH retained at Wrestlemania 2000, and screaming my ass off in joy when The Rock finally (FINALLY) got his revenge at Backlash. I still get chills when I watch the Backlash 2000 ending, it's by far my favourite wrestling memory of all time.

Sanitarium78
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
I was huge into the WWF during the Attitude Years. I remember crying when HHH retained at Wrestlemania 2000, and screaming my ass off in joy when The Rock finally (FINALLY) got his revenge at Backlash. I still get chills when I watch the Backlash 2000 ending, it's by far my favourite wrestling memory of all time.

I remember being happy as hell that HHH kept the belt at that show. Except for when he was playing a bad guy the Rock was annoying as fuck.

HHH>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>The Rock.

JRA
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM
YouTube is like 98% bullshit (and the comments are enough to make you want to pray for a nuclear holocaust), but it's useful for bootleg live footage and old music videos.

Youtube is what Napster should have been back in 1999. You can look up any track to pre-screen before you buy, but you can't actually download it onto your computer or MP3 player or whatever, so it isn't stealing. It's like a library.

And HHH being better than The Rock? :lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

makethemsuffer12
08-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I love how this turned into a WWF/Youtube discussion.

rjturtle9
08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

The original discussion sucked cocks.

JRA
08-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I nominate that a mod delete fucking everything that came before the wrestling discussion and rename this "The official Wrestling discussion thread"

Derelict
08-04-2010, 01:00 PM
I nominate that a mod delete fucking everything that came before the wrestling discussion and rename this "The official Wrestling discussion thread"

Seconded. That would be almost as cool as Kurt Angle driving the milk truck to the ring.

evildeadjedi
08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Any ECW fans back in the day?

Derelict
08-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Any ECW fans back in the day?

I was at the last ECW arena show...

evildeadjedi
08-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I was at the last ECW arena show...

I figured as much being in Philly and all. How was it?

Derelict
08-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Well, no one knew it would be the last show at the time, it was right before they went bankrupt and bought by wwf. I remember RVD fighting the bad ass Japanese guy whose name i forget (Taijiri?). I have the VHS of the TV show at home somewhere, were were right along the entrance so you can see us every match. Good times.

Sanitarium78
08-04-2010, 04:36 PM
ECW ruled!!! I've been to Raws, Smackdowns, Nitros, PPVs and even Wrestlemania in 2002 and ECW had the best live wrestling shows i've ever been to.

They used to play a small arena here in downtown Buffalo a few times a year that fit around 2 thousand people and it was always packed. The shows would always go at least 3 hours and it was just entertaining from the begining to end. I went to every show they ran there until they went under. I got to see RVD beat Bam Bam Bigelow for the TV title to start his two year run with it. They also had the November To Remember PPV in 1999 there which was the last ECW show Taz was in before he left for the WWF.

That's what wrestling needs now. An underground promotion to shake things up and kick everyone's ass like ECW did. Today's wrestling is fuckin PG and has no balls or excitment to it.

Indestructible
08-04-2010, 06:06 PM
I use to watch wrestling when I was 10. I lost interest in it and never gained it back. Now the wrestling I see seems nothing more than a staged reality show. Ill watch sometimes if my friends and family have it on but I only care to watch when the women come on.

Derelict
08-04-2010, 06:46 PM
I use to watch wrestling when I was 10. I lost interest in it and never gained it back. Now the wrestling I see seems nothing more than a staged reality show. Ill watch sometimes if my friends and family have it on but I only care to watch when the women come on.

Cool, thanks man

rjturtle9
08-04-2010, 09:31 PM
That's what wrestling needs now. An underground promotion to shake things up and kick everyone's ass like ECW did. Today's wrestling is fuckin PG and has no balls or excitment to it.

CZW!!!!! CZW!!!!! CZW!!!!! CZW!!!!!

InPatient5100
08-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Seconded. That would be almost as cool as Kurt Angle driving the milk truck to the ring.

:lol:

elturtleboy
08-05-2010, 01:43 PM

Grindcore>Music

JRA
08-05-2010, 02:44 PM

The strange thing is, Wrestling before the Attitude era was also PG rated, but there was still "balls and excitement" to it. I was watching an old Royal Rumble the other day and there were so many kids in the crowd you'd think they were seeing the Power Rangers or something, but there was still enough violence and suggestive themes for it to be proper wrestling, but still family friendly.

evildeadjedi
08-05-2010, 03:28 PM
ECW ruled!!! I've been to Raws, Smackdowns, Nitros, PPVs and even Wrestlemania in 2002 and ECW had the best live wrestling shows i've ever been to.

They used to play a small arena here in downtown Buffalo a few times a year that fit around 2 thousand people and it was always packed. The shows would always go at least 3 hours and it was just entertaining from the begining to end. I went to every show they ran there until they went under. I got to see RVD beat Bam Bam Bigelow for the TV title to start his two year run with it. They also had the November To Remember PPV in 1999 there which was the last ECW show Taz was in before he left for the WWF.

Hell yea man that's awesome and yes wrestling needs a new underground promotion to kick everyone in the balls.

Sanitarium78
08-05-2010, 04:50 PM
The strange thing is, Wrestling before the Attitude era was also PG rated, but there was still "balls and excitement" to it. I was watching an old Royal Rumble the other day and there were so many kids in the crowd you'd think they were seeing the Power Rangers or something, but there was still enough violence and suggestive themes for it to be proper wrestling, but still family friendly.

Yeah that's kind of what they're doing now. But the thing is ECW had such an influence on the wrestling world that both the WWF and WCW took their ideas like having more violent physical matches and adult/sexual themes in their storylines. Their wouldn't haven been an Attitude era in the WWF wothout ECWs influence at all. The monday night war with Nitro helped all lot with going in that direction to. But the WWF and WCW didn't even know what hardcore or extreme wrestling was before ECW started making noise. Hell, they both created a hardcore title and built a division around it. That never would've happen without ECW.

As for another Attitude era coming after the WWE goes through the PG cycle they have right now I don't see it. There's no other promotion out there right now popular enough to push the WWE back into that style.

rjturtle9
08-05-2010, 08:25 PM
Hell yea man that's awesome and yes wrestling needs a new underground promotion to kick everyone in the balls.

Did you guys not read my last post?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSye363AKTE

elturtleboy
08-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Theres nothing wrong with old skool metalcore. Earth Crises,Deadguy etc.
Hatebreed is probably the only new metalcore band that matters. Most likely cause they actually do mix REAL hardcore with REAL metal.

Derelict
08-06-2010, 04:08 AM
Theres nothing wrong with old skool metalcore. Earth Crises,Deadguy etc.
Hatebreed is probably the only new metalcore band that matters. Most likely cause they actually do mix REAL hardcore with REAL metal.

This is a wrestling thread, man

Natrlhi
08-06-2010, 06:10 AM

:lol:

http://cdn2.ioffer.com/img/item/153/815/951/aj7CcJNDKvFlIDm.jpg
GOLDBERG approves.

Dextrimental
08-06-2010, 07:11 AM
I grew up with ECW/WCW/WWF, my brother has a ton of the ECW PPV's on video/dvd, bout once or twice a year me and him will get together and watch a bunch of 'em, and pretend like the fed is still going.. Both of us have lost interest in the current generation of wrestling, after the wrestlemania in which HHH beat Jericho for the undisputed championship title we both started lagging interest. He still pays attention to the underground, and like you guys, is hoping and praying for some new fed to kick WWE in the nuts to shake things up a bit. The video games are still fucking fun as hell with a bunch of buddies :D

elturtleboy
08-06-2010, 11:21 AM

ugh face palm me!

InPatient5100
08-07-2010, 03:14 PM
ugh face palm me!

I nominate Mankvill to do that!

evildeadjedi
08-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Did you guys not read my last post?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSye363AKTE

I did so what's the story with CZW?

rjturtle9
08-08-2010, 02:37 PM
I did so what's the story with CZW?

They are the best indy wrestling out there IMO. Their wrestling is second only to ROH and they have the best deathmatches. They are the new ECW.

Sanitarium78
08-08-2010, 03:49 PM
They are the best indy wrestling out there IMO. Their wrestling is second only to ROH and they have the best deathmatches. They are the new ECW.

Nothing is the new ECW and nothing ever will be. If CZW was their influence would've been felt thoughout the wrestling world by now. It only took ECW about 2 or 3 years to make an impact and get noticed. CZW has been around 10 years now and hasn't had the impact that ECW did. But i'll give them credit that they're running their company smarter than ECW. They found their fanbase and they're sticking with pleasing them. ECW biggest fault was trying to take their format to a national stage and not everyone likes that style. If they had stuck with what they had and never got the national TV deal with TNN they'd probably still be around now.

I watched the link you posted what's up with all the skrawny looking motherfuckers in CZW? I have a hard enough time buying that Rey Mysterio can beat anybody and most of those guys don't look any bigger than that.

rjturtle9
08-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Nothing is the new ECW and nothing ever will be.

I watched the link you posted what's up with all the skrawny looking motherfuckers in CZW? I have a hard enough time buying that Rey Mysterio can beat anybody and most of those guys don't look any bigger than that.

Yeah true, but they are the closest thing out there to ECW.

And, if you want to see big buff guys, watch the WWE. If you want great wrestling, it shouldnt matter what their body types are. I mean, well maybe your into that stuff, i'm not. ;)

zgodt
08-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Ah. I've been away for a while, but it's good to see that the vital issues of our day are still being confronted boldly here at MetalSetLists.

Even better to see that motherfuckers are keeping the phrase "gay ass music" alive, and still rewriting band names in clever homophobic puns. "Blowjob for a Cockboy." Ho ho ho. Metalheads are like so sophisticated.

InPatient5100
08-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Yeah true, but they are the closest thing out there to ECW.

And, if you want to see big buff guys, watch the WWE. If you want great wrestling, it shouldnt matter what their body types are. I mean, well maybe your into that stuff, i'm not. ;)

Did you catch the TNA ppv last night? It was supposed to
be like the last hoorah for all the old guys from ECW.