PDA

View Full Version : Two questions about USA in one thread...

Citatet
07-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Okay!

I am from Sweden and I love USA. But reading on Blabbermouth Iīve come up with two quite easy questions about the States that I hope you could answer.

1. I read that Avenged Sevenfolds newest album will probably reach the top spot on the Billboardlist. But which metalalbum was the latest to reach that spot? Indestructible? All Hope is Gone?

2. Some people tend to diss the audience at Ozzfest quite harsh and says itīs a lot of white-trash at these shows? Is this true? And does metal attract a lot of white trash in the states?

In Sweden white-trash only likes one metalband... ...Metallica!

mankvill
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
I know AC/DC had a #1 debut when Black Ice came out. I don't know if there have been any since then.

And I think big festival-type tours tend to attract people who go just to hear songs they've heard on the radio, but their main reason is to get drunk and party AKA white trash people.

Hope this helps. :D

Derelict
07-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Okay!

I am from Sweden and I love USA. But reading on Blabbermouth Iīve come up with two quite easy questions about the States that I hope you could answer.

1. I read that Avenged Sevenfolds newest album will probably reach the top spot on the Billboardlist. But which metalalbum was the latest to reach that spot? Indestructible? All Hope is Gone?

2. Some people tend to diss the audience at Ozzfest quite harsh and says itīs a lot of white-trash at these shows? Is this true? And does metal attract a lot of white trash in the states?

In Sweden white-trash only likes one metalband... ...Metallica!

First, I'd like to say I've been to Sweden twice and it fucking owns.

1. Its not unheard of - metallica hits #1, i think lamb of god might have, stuff like that. also, the numbers don't mean all that much, since #1 albums in 2010 sell a pretty small fraction of a #1 in 2001.

2. The more mainstream shows, especially festivals, bring in a lot of trash.

mankvill
07-29-2010, 12:35 PM
First, I'd like to say I've been to Sweden twice and it fucking owns.

1. Its not unheard of - metallica hits #1, i think lamb of god might have, stuff like that. also, the numbers don't mean all that much, since #1 albums in 2010 sell a pretty small fraction of a #1 in 2001.

2. The more mainstream shows, especially festivals, bring in a lot of trash.

Did Lamb of God? I think they might have gotten close, but I dunno if they actually hit #1

ravenheart
07-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Sweden is indeed a good, fun country to go to. I've been to the Sweden Rock festival the last four years.

Maiden33
07-29-2010, 12:44 PM
New Maiden album will debut at #1. Bruce instructed the audience on every night of the tour to make it happen, and now the masses shall do his bidding. :D

NecroRob
07-29-2010, 01:05 PM
It seems to me that almost every show (but mainly festivals) that have metalcore bands attract a ton of white trash fans.

BTW, I've been listening to so much Swedeath lately that I really wish I lived there. It seems like I find a new awesome Swedish death metal band every day :D

Derelict
07-29-2010, 01:08 PM
You might be right manks, i think that hit #2. found this stuff googling:

Skid Row's "Slave to the Grind" was the first heavy metal album to ever debut at #1

The only band to have five consecutive albums debut at number one is heavy metal band Metallica.

Only seven bands have achieved three consecutive number one debuts' with studio albums on the Billboard 200; Van Halen, U2, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews Band, Staind, and most recently Disturbed.

mankvill
07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
It seems to me that almost every show (but mainly festivals) that have metalcore bands attract a ton of white trash fans.

BTW, I've been listening to so much Swedeath lately that I really wish I lived there. It seems like I find a new awesome Swedish death metal band every day :D

Biggest white trash piece of shit I've encountered at a show that wasn't Ozzfest or Mayhem fest was this bald-headed, wife-beater wearing redneck at the Obituary/Unleashed show a few October's back. He had a giant stupid tattoo on his face too and he kept wanting to fight people if they bumped into his girlfriend while moshing. She was being a dumb ho out on the floor taking pictures of herself and her boyfriend during the show. :I

DethMaiden
07-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Sweden has white trash?! Goddammit, where can I go to escape it?

ShatteredFlame
07-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Sweden makes such awesome music. Living in Long Island where the hardcore scene is the worst of the worst I can only wish that some of those fucktards listen to the Swedish crust/d-beat scene to get a taste of phenomenal hardcore.

Anyway I go to shows usually at NYC where there are usually great crowds. But theres always gonna be some hipster white trash and some obnoxious fat dudes. I've never gone to anyway of the yearly big tours (ozzfest, mayhem, warped) so I can't speak for them. But too be honest the worst crowds seem to be at prog shows, fucking hipsters are so boring.

bt11763
07-29-2010, 01:37 PM
All hope is gone was definitely at #1

Citatet
07-29-2010, 01:37 PM
Are you sure Slipknot didnīt have three consecutive number ones with Iowa, Vol.3 and All hope is Gone.

Itīs quite fun to see which kind of metal attracts buyers in the U.S. In Sweden well Maiden, Metallica always get the top spot, and In Flames to (since reroute to remain). And in the latest years bands like Volbeat, Watain, Khoma, Sabaton, Hammerfall, Slayer, Satyricon, Deftones, Slipknot all have had albums on the top twenty-list upon release-week.

And yes there are White-trash in Sweden. Al lot of them. They are very very annoying and are always racists or xenophobes. And they get kids when they are like 18. But they are kinda separated in the suburbs so we donīt get to be around them.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Opeth doesn't crack the top 20 in their own country?

mankvill
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Are you sure Slipknot didnīt have three consecutive number ones with Iowa, Vol.3 and All hope is Gone.

Itīs quite fun to see which kind of metal attracts buyers in the U.S. In Sweden well Maiden, Metallica always get the top spot, and In Flames to (since reroute to remain). And in the latest years bands like Volbeat, Watain, Khoma, Sabaton, Hammerfall, Slayer, Satyricon, Deftones, Slipknot all have had albums on the top twenty-list upon release-week.

And yes there are White-trash in Sweden. Al lot of them. They are very very annoying and are always racists or xenophobes. And they get kids when they are like 18. But they are kinda separated in the suburbs so we donīt get to be around them.

I doubt Iowa debuted at No. 1.

and a band like Watain here is lucky if they sell 1500 in the first week.

Derelict
07-29-2010, 01:44 PM

1500 might be enough to get into the top #200 - youd be surprised at some of the bands that have charted in the last few years

Citatet
07-29-2010, 01:50 PM
Opeth doesn't crack the top 20 in their own country?

Totally forgot about Opeth. They have never been the number one but Watersged and Ghost Reveries were both in the top five. Rammstein is another band that always make the top spot as well over here...

And FYI: Korns newest debuted at 23 in Sweden. That music is not very popular over here.

powerslave_85
07-29-2010, 01:52 PM
The Billboard charts are meaningless these days. CDs sell so poorly that I bet if one of us recorded an album, we could probably crack the top 100.

And yeah, I hate to generalize, but most metal shows tend to be populated by bros and/or white trash. Especially if it's a festival.

NecroRob
07-29-2010, 01:58 PM

I think I saw somewhere that said they sold around 1,000 during the first week for The Lawless Darkness.

But all hope is not lost, Whitechapel sold over 10,000 copies.

mankvill
07-29-2010, 02:13 PM
But all hope is not lost, Whitechapel sold over 10,000 copies.

That's horrible, though.

ravenheart
07-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Sweden has white trash?! Goddammit, where can I go to escape it?

Nigeria :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
07-29-2010, 06:26 PM
I have also been to Sweden. Its an amazing place.

And yes, I hate to say, but metal does attract alot of white trash. Ozzfest in particular because you don't have to be an intellectual metalhead to like Ozzy. Fucking moms and dads like Ozzy (no offense to mums and pops out there.:D) Other white trash-magnet bands in the states (at least in my area) are Lamb of God and Pantera...just lowest-common-denominator, aggressive, shouting metal. Not alot of substance...just anger. Poor white people love that shit. They work their shitty job, come home, eat fast food, put on some shitty metal, and lift weights.

TonyD
07-29-2010, 10:30 PM
I have also been to Sweden. Its an amazing place.

And yes, I hate to say, but metal does attract alot of white trash. Ozzfest in particular because you don't have to be an intellectual metalhead to like Ozzy. Fucking moms and dads like Ozzy (no offense to mums and pops out there.:D) Other white trash-magnet bands in the states (at least in my area) are Lamb of God and Pantera...just lowest-common-denominator, aggressive, shouting metal. Not alot of substance...just anger. Poor white people love that shit. They work their shitty job, come home, eat fast food, put on some shitty metal, and lift weights.

You're not cool unless you go to college and listen to Opeth :cool:

ChildrenofSodom
07-30-2010, 08:36 AM

Better than shaving your head and punching random people you don't know.

powerslave_85
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
...your point being? ;)

TonyD
07-31-2010, 12:13 AM
Better than shaving your head and punching random people you don't know.

:rolleyes: