PDA

View Full Version : Soulfly possibly ripping off The Prodigy?

illninoese
07-27-2010, 09:15 PM
So I was in a record store today and a song called Firestarter by The Prodigy came on over the PA System. I was liking the song alot but the entire time it was playing I knew I had heard it before....which was weird because I knew for a fact that I had never heard it before. Then it dawned on me. It sounded extremely close to Riotstarter by Soulfly.......even with the title of the song. I'm on vacation currently so I can't check The Dark Ages booklet to see if Max and Co. gave credit where it's due, but if they didn't I would have to say the completely ripped off The Prodigy.

Firestarter - The Prodigy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw&feature=related

Riotstarter - Soulfly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZgLy3xUhM0

smearCampaign
07-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Was today the first time you had heard Firestarter? If you liked it you should definitely check out the album it's from, Fat of the Land. I'm not sure that it's documented, but I'm pretty sure Riotstarter is a nod to The Prodigy. I wouldn't really think of it as ripping off as much as it's an homage. I could be wrong though.

Live in concert: The Prodigy > Soulfly

Natrlhi
07-28-2010, 06:19 AM
If you liked it you should definitely check out the album it's from, Fat of the Land.ABSOLFUCKINGLUTELY. Fat of the Land is by far The [mighty] Prodigy's best album.

I'm pretty sure Riotstarter is a nod to The Prodigy. I wouldn't really think of it as ripping off as much as it's an homage. I could be wrong though.I'm pretty sure this is correct. I can't prove it, either - because I don't own any Soulfly material and don't have the liner notes for Dark Ages, but the similarities are just too strong for this not to be the case. (BTW, the Soulfly song is pretty kickass too, I must say. :D)

The Prodigy > SoulflyYou've seen The Prodigy live? You lucky mother fucker. :bowdown:

What did you think of their last album? I thought it was an awesome mash-up of their old-school techno roots with their newer aggressive style from albums like Fat and Jilted. My three-year old son is obsessed with the song "Thunder" from that album - he wants to hear it every time we get in the car. :rocker: :D

AnglOvDeth
07-28-2010, 12:44 PM
There's nothing in the liner notes except David Ellefson plays bass on that track. hmmm. :confused:

elturtleboy
07-28-2010, 02:06 PM
i found fat in the land in my garage 2 months ago with some Coal Chamber/Rob Zombie cd. It was in some punk music case,and since it wasnt punk i threw em out. I love em now.

But yes,kinda a rip off,but when your name is Max Cavalera,your allowed to do whatever the fuck u want.

smearCampaign
07-28-2010, 08:37 PM
What did you think of their last album? I thought it was an awesome mash-up of their old-school techno roots with their newer aggressive style from albums like Fat and Jilted.

I love Invaders Must Die. I think it is up there among their best. Electronica and metal have always been my favorite genres and while I do like a lot of ambient and chill electronic, The Prodigy's more aggressive style has made them my favorite electronic artist.

That's awesome that your three year old loves Thunder, one of the best songs on that album. That boy has good taste!

I've seen The Prodigy in concert twice. It was my first concert (first concert I chose to go to) in 1998 at the State Theater (now the Fillmore) in Detroit. Last summer I got to relive that show when I saw them at the same venue. Both shows were excellent!

Natrlhi
07-29-2010, 06:10 AM
That's awesome that your three year old loves Thunder, one of the best songs on that album. That boy has good taste!He sure does! :D

I also love "Warrior's Dance". "Colours" is pretty good, too - as are "Omen" and the title track - but there's no beating "Thunder".

I've seen The Prodigy in concert twice.Lucky bastard. ;)

jhdeity
07-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Yeah I seriously want to see Prodigy live. Especially now that they have the guys from FotL back. Those guys are back in the band right?

Natrlhi
07-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah I seriously want to see Prodigy live. Especially now that they have the guys from FotL back. Those guys are back in the band right?

Yup. Hence the awesome.

jhdeity
07-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Yup. Hence the awesome.

Thought so. The album they did without them did nothing for me. Invaders gets better with every listen