PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater Tour Plans Later In The Year?

300%_Density
07-26-2010, 12:10 AM
This seems far fetched so I thought I would ask somebody else on here if they have heard anything. I know that there is alot of shit on Facebook not to take seriously. But it said Dream Theater is supposed to play in a pretty small town near where I live in December. I will save myself the embarassment of saying where it is for now, I went to the venue's website and it's a theater so it totally looks like a venue they would play however on the venue's website it had something else listed for that day already and Dream Theater's website has no more dates passed the 8th of August.

I would find this ungodly amazing if it's true but it seems too good to be true. Which comes to my question, does anybody know what they are doing passed August of this year? I now they just did a bunch of NA dates w/ Maiden but only really hit up major markets. Has anybody hinted at any other dates maybe in interviews or something? I will plan for the worst just in case but any info would be great. Damn Facebook gettin my hopes up.

daimonos
07-26-2010, 12:12 AM
I think I read an interview with Portnoy where he said that they were planning on being done touring, but then the Maiden thing came up so they did that. So I think they might be done, but I could be wrong.

mankvill
07-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Where does it say they're playing?

MPF
07-26-2010, 12:18 AM
From Mike Portnoy's Forum: *In my own shorthand*

DT was originally going to take the year off so everyone could venutre off for the year. Then the offer to open for Iron Maiden happened, and you can not turn that down.

John Petrucci is working on a new solo album.
James Labrie is putting out a solo album is Spetember.
Jordan Rudess may or may not be putting out a solo album this year.
John Myung is working on a new Jelly Jam album with Ty Tabor and Rod Morganstein.
Mike Portnoy is touring with Avenged Sevenfold till the end of the year.

DT will regroup in 2011 to work on a new album followed by the return of the 3 hour Evening With tours because in MP's words "It's what DT fans really want."

300%_Density
07-26-2010, 12:23 AM
Well son of a bitch. Game. Set. Match. A guy can dream atleast.

Sanitarium78
07-26-2010, 07:22 AM
DT will regroup in 2011 to work on a new album followed by the return of the 3 hour Evening With tours because in MP's words "It's what DT fans really want."

You're goddamn right that's what we want. That's what their music is meant for. Why the hell they stopped doing that for the last few tours is beyond me.

ravenheart
07-26-2010, 08:51 AM
the return of the 3 hour Evening With tours because in MP's words "It's what DT fans really want."

A-fuckin-men. And go back to playing smaller venues on successive nights with special setlists when you hit the major cities, not venues that in all honesty are too big for you.

E.g.
Train of Thought tour - two nights at Hammersmith Apollo = both sold out
Last two tours - one night at Wembley Arena = half full.

Maiden33
07-26-2010, 08:55 AM
I'm very much up for the return to longer shows, provided their next album is as good as the last one, meaning I actually want to see the songs performed live. There's absolutely loads of classic DT stuff I've never seen done, and the long shows is the only way I'm ever going to start putting a dent in that.

Sanitarium78
07-26-2010, 09:02 AM
Train of Thought tour - two nights at Hammersmith Apollo = both sold out
Last two tours - one night at Wembley Arena = half full.

They're actually popular enough over there that they attempted an arena show on their own? In the US they do 2,000-3,000 seat theaters and that's about the best they can do.

Indestructible
07-26-2010, 09:49 AM
Why the hell they stopped doing that for the last few tours is beyond me.

They're all in there 40's and might be unable to handle 3 hour shows everynight.

DethMaiden
07-26-2010, 09:58 AM
Haha, I'm such an "untrue" fan if that's what true fans are. I would never see them play for three hours. That's just giving them permission to a) jam, b) solo, c) medley, and d) bore me to sleep. Their opening spot for Maiden was exactly how I want to see a Dream Theater show.

MPF
07-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm actually a fan of both the Evening With shows and PRogressive Nation tours.

I love the evening With shows because it showcases my favorite band for 3 hours.

But at the same time, I love the Progressive Nation tours because it got me into bands I previously would not have ever paid attention to, 3, BigElf, Scale The Summit. I'm for any tour that wants to showcase progressive Metal.

And of course if it was for the Chaos in Motion tour, I never would have paid attention to Redemption, and been able to name their live DVD/CD Frozen In The Moment.

Div
07-26-2010, 11:06 AM
30 minute keytar solo

ravenheart
07-26-2010, 01:14 PM
They're actually popular enough over there that they attempted an arena show on their own? In the US they do 2,000-3,000 seat theaters and that's about the best they can do.

With Train of Thought that was the first time they'd had any major touring here really. They played Hammersmith Apollo (5,000 people) twice, both sold out.

They did that again the next tour.

Then they did Wembley Arena with Symphony X as support.

Then did Wembley Arena again on Progressive Nation (and 75% of the audience were there for DT - most went to the bar during Opeth).

So yeah, they kind of are. Wembley Arena is about 15,000 people but they have a giant curtain they can pull across at the back to make it more like 10,000. When people like Alice Cooper and DT play there, they always do that. DT didn't sell it out though. More like about 7,500, tops.

Last year I saw them headline the Gods of Metal festival in Italy alongside Heaven & Hell, Motley Crue and Slipknot, and earlier the same month I saw them play the main stage at Sweden Rock to about 15,000 people. So yeah, they do OK in Europe.

ravenheart
07-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Haha, I'm such an "untrue" fan if that's what true fans are. I would never see them play for three hours. That's just giving them permission to a) jam, b) solo, c) medley, and d) bore me to sleep. Their opening spot for Maiden was exactly how I want to see a Dream Theater show.

When I first saw them they played three hours and all that crap was kept to a minimum. The set was amazing.

These days I think there would be a lot more jamming etc. so that James LaBrie can maintain his show average of 50% of the time spent actually on stage singing.

treghet
07-26-2010, 02:31 PM
30 minute keytar solo

Ugh... it feels like it will never end!

Although if they play for 3 hours, I don't mind an overload of solos. When they spent a third of their set soloing on the Progressive Nation Tour though... I was pissed.

JLRedWing13
07-26-2010, 05:01 PM
They're all in there 40's and might be unable to handle 3 hour shows everynight.

Rush would like to have a word with you.

Indestructible
07-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Rush would like to have a word with you.

Not every single band can handle playing a 3 hour show every night. Looks like dream theater can handle it again sense they are bringing back the evening with.