PDA

View Full Version : New Iced Earth is 2011!

MPF
07-24-2010, 10:28 PM
I took this from an interview where he talks politics, but I did grab the one important piece of info from the interview:

Sleaze Roxx: What's the status of Iced Earth at this time? Are you guys taking a break for a specified period of time?

Jon Schaffer: Iced Earth will begin working on new material in late summer/early fall and there will be a new CD next year. The Festivals Of The Wicked DVD will be out before Christmas this year.

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Maiden33
07-24-2010, 10:32 PM
Eh, kinda hard for me to fake enthusiasm for Iced Earth anymore. The last record was almost painfully bad, Barlow should've stayed with Pyramaze, and I finally lived out my childhood dream of seeing them live two years ago. I'll certainly check the next album out and give it a fair shot, but excited, I am not.

JLRedWing13
07-24-2010, 10:58 PM
I'd like to see them live, and if a new album will make them tour, then I'm all for it.

Div
07-24-2010, 11:09 PM
John Greely reunion, Stormrider pt. II: Eclipse of Ice

Travis The Dragon
07-24-2010, 11:18 PM
So, no full USA tour to support the last album? :( Or did it happen and I just missed it?

Anyway, I can't wait for the new stuff! IE never disappoints.

MPF
07-24-2010, 11:36 PM
So, no full USA tour to support the last album? :( Or did it happen and I just missed it?

Anyway, I can't wait for the new stuff! IE never disappoints.

You must have missed it because they played Station 4 in 2008 and I met all the guys in Iced Earth. Sadly they are coming here this year, but 2008 made up for it.

darkguardian50
07-24-2010, 11:40 PM
They toured for it, just not extensively. Matt is somewhat hamstrung by his cop job and he was also sick during the tour (he sounded pretty awful at times when I saw them). I've seen them three times and the band was tight as always but honestly vocally they sounded best with Ripper. Even if the first time I saw them with Matt was the better show overall. Ripper is just such a fantastic live singer its tough to beat him in that setting. Matt was great though when I saw them touring for Horror Show. And that was probably my favorite lineup. They had Christy and DiGorgio during that tour. Talk about a supergroup.

I don't think the last album was laughably bad, I thought it was just a shadow of what IE is capable of when they are really firing on all cylinders. Aside from a few good songs the album was very uninspired and all the blame for that lies on Schaffer. He may be one of the most gifted rhythm guitar players in metal but his writing for the last 2 or 3 albums has been downright derivative and lazy at times. Horror Show was the last fantastic cd they did in my opinion (though Glorious Burden did have some killer tracks).

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-24-2010, 11:52 PM

You missed it (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=9241)

maidenpriest
07-25-2010, 03:18 AM
eh last album had a couple good songs but nothing fantastic, ill definitely give this one a shot though. and i do look forward to there next tour cus theyre still an awesome live band.

Butcher of Birth
07-25-2010, 06:58 AM
They were more than unimpressive when I saw them. Matt was horribly off and it was just not a good show at all. They looked bored.

Maiden33
07-25-2010, 09:17 AM
I've noticed that apparently the Florida show(s?) were horrible. The show I saw in Philadelphia was pretty solid, and Barlow sounded great.

MPF
07-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I have a bootleg of the St. Paul show I went to it sounds very damn good. Barlow was spot on the whole night.

DethMaiden
07-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Post-Glorious Burden Iced Earth sucks such donkey balls. I won't even waste my time listening to this unless good reviews from people with good taste pour in.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah. Even the Glorious Burden was just ok. I like maybe 3 post-Glorious Burden songs.

They're still good live, though.

Symbolic
07-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Keeping low expectations for this, hyped myself up last time and was hugely disapointed, The crucible of Man was useless.
Huge iced earth fan here, all albums up until horror show were flawless in my opinion.
Jon Schaffer needs to shut the f**k up and write another Night of the Stormrider :finger:

Sanitarium78
07-25-2010, 10:13 AM
I liked the last two albums but I felt Schaffer extended the Something Wicked story further than he should've. It just ran out of steam on the last one.

I will get the new album but I doubt i'll ever see them live. They're one of the few bands I like that I haven't seen yet because they never hit anywhere in my area at all when touring. I also don't like them enough that i'm willing to travel a great distance to see them. So, if history is an indication, me seeing them live probably isn't gonna happen.

Maiden33
07-25-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm apparently one of the 10 people who really liked Framing Armageddon. For an IE record, that is. Crucible of Man still sucked balls though.

Butcher of Birth
07-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Yeah I guess it was just the Florida shows that were lack luster.

daimonos
07-25-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm apparently one of the 10 people who really liked Framing Armageddon. For an IE record, that is. Crucible of Man still sucked balls though.

I loved Framing Armageddon back whenever I used to listen to Iced Earth. The Crucible of Man disappointed the shit out of me though, but I honestly think that Framing Armageddon is a very strong record.

Horror Show is my favorite though, I don't know if that's wierd or not :lol:

JLRedWing13
07-25-2010, 02:05 PM
It's one of mine too.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Wolf is one of my favorite IE tunes. The rest of the album didn't do much for me.

Indestructible
07-25-2010, 02:31 PM
I like all the Iced Earth albums I have heard. The only album I havent heard from them is Iced Earth

PowerMaiden
07-25-2010, 03:20 PM
I have lost interest on that band pretty long ago ...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

maidenpriest
07-25-2010, 06:54 PM

i LOVE framing armaggedon, probably my favorite IE post-Something Wicked. thought the songs were well written for Ripper, and his voice was just badass.

Div
07-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Yea man, those 60 minutes of triplets blew my fucking mind!!!!!

MPF
07-25-2010, 07:41 PM
I like all the Iced Earth albums I have heard. The only album I havent heard from them is Iced Earth

Trust me, as a die-hard IE fan, DO NOT LISTEN TO EITHER ICED EARTH OR ENTER THE REALM. They possibly have the worst vocal recordings ever produced in Metal.

JLRedWing13
07-25-2010, 07:57 PM
Trust me, as a die-hard IE fan, DO NOT LISTEN TO EITHER ICED EARTH OR ENTER THE REALM. They possibly have the worst vocal recordings ever produced in Metal.

I have heard most of Iced Earth (the album) with Barlow on vocals.

MPF
07-25-2010, 08:02 PM
I have heard most of Iced Earth (the album) with Barlow on vocals.

That would be from the box set known as Days Of Pergatory, which has msot of the first 3 album's songs re-recorded.

If you ever hear those songs without Matt Barlow on vocals (from Gene Adam) STAY AWAY!!!

darkguardian50
07-25-2010, 08:14 PM
I've noticed that apparently the Florida show(s?) were horrible. The show I saw in Philadelphia was pretty solid, and Barlow sounded great.

Oh he was clearly sick (for alot of the southern dates apparently), and I later heard an interview with him where he apologized for it but hey I'd rather hear him sick then not at all. I would have been pissed if I missed out on a chance to see Stormrider live. That was the first I've ever seen them play it live and man was it awesome. I saw some live videos from the end of the tour and the start of the tour and he sounded fine. Well he still was struggling on a few of the Ripper tunes but that was not the problem he was having when I saw them. Matt was having the most trouble with his chest voice (where you typically have problems when you have a respiratory infection), he sounded amazing when he sang Dracula cause 90% of that song is falsetto.

I liked Crucible about as much as Framing. I didn't think either was amazing. That said I still found them solid if unremarkable discs. Off Crucible I liked Harbringer of Fate (the end of the song kicks ass), Sacrifical Kingdoms (best on the album from a musical standpoint), Dimensional Gauntlet (some neat riffs), Divide Devour and Crucify the King were trying a bit to hard but it was ok. The rest was mostly crap. The opening track(s) were ok and had a couple really badass sections but were largely boring. Off Framing Armageddon I dunno. The title track is fucking killer, The Clouding and Motivation of Man/Setian Massacre are all terrific also. The rest of the cd is lame though. So in a way Crucible is actually less offensive to me.

Horror Show was one of my fav IE discs so your not alone, I certainly preferred it to the overatted Dark Saga. It also had the best lineup of musicians. Wolf, Jack, Damien, Dracula, Phantom Opera Ghost were all awesome. Its a shame he couldn't find a decent female singer to go opposite Barlow on Phantom Opera Ghost. That chick who sang on that was terrible.

Dissimulate
07-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Ripper was a better singer.

mankvill
07-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Yea man, those 60 minutes of triplets blew my fucking mind!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88jlseWPs_o

darkguardian50
07-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Ripper was a better singer.

Live certainly. He doesn't have as big of a range as Matt though and his voice just doesn't fit as well with IE. I think Jon did a pretty good job though of writing stuff that worked with his voice. He (mostly) stayed away from anything to far in the lower register where he would have compared poorly to Matt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88jlseWPs_o

I have that favorited. Funny how that video was meant as an insult or something yet by and large most people think its the most awesome thing ever. Its a collection of some of the greatest riffs in metal so I kinda had to laugh at the guy who uploaded it thinking it would expose how lame Iced Earth is.

Travis The Dragon
07-25-2010, 10:07 PM
You must have missed it because they played Station 4 in 2008 and I met all the guys in Iced Earth. Sadly they are coming here this year, but 2008 made up for it.

Damn! I will NOT miss them next year!

MPF
07-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Damn! I will NOT miss them next year!

I did mean to say AREN'T coming here this year, but I would love to see the guys again in 2011.

daimonos
07-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Framing was definitely well written for Ripper. I liked the album because I thought as a whole it had such as epic atmosphere, and flowed great as an album. It really captivated me the whole way through, and I was very interested in the whole concept as well as the music. It definitely had a good display of emotion all over it too.

Derelict
07-26-2010, 04:06 AM
So glad i saw these guys awhile ago (1999)