View Full Version : Giant Squid -- San Francisco, CA -- July 24th, 2010

idrinkwine732
07-24-2010, 05:18 PM
La Brea Tar Pits
Blue Linckia
Panthalassa
Throwing A Donner Party at Sea
Neonate (W/ Eating Machine Intro) :rocker:

This was part of the Tidal Wave festival, and they were the only band who I really knew, and the only band I really needed to see. Although Stone Vengeance and Abysmal Dawn weren't bad, I was there for Giant Squid. The whole band was on point, and while the setlist wasn't quite what I'd pick, I had a blast hearing it. I thought going into it that the crowd, which was mainly full of thrash fans, wouldn't be very into them and I was correct to a certain extent. Once they brought out the heavier material though, the crowd got a little more excited. I also noticed about a song in, that Matt Solis, the guitarist for Cormorant was in attendance, when he should have been writing their second album :tongue:. Right after they tore through Trowing a Donner Party at Sea, the sound guy came up and told them they should be done. Aaron then audibly pleaded for one more song, which the crowd even more audibly wanted. I knew the next song had to be Neonate, so I was dying for them to continue. Alas, Tonus (the very kind man putting on the fest) said they can continue. Let me tell you, Neonate is a crusher in a live setting. For only a five song set, Giant Squid totally made the best of it, and definitely put on one of the best shows I've seen this year. Good thing Aaron told me they'll be headlining a show later this year, so I can see them perform a full set.

9.5/10

MetalIsArt
07-25-2010, 12:46 AM
And no Colossal Squid? :bliss:;)

Natrlhi
07-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Once they brought out the heavier material though, the crowd got a little more excited.By "heavier", you must mean "faster", because "La Brea Tar Pits" is definitely heavy as fuck (although slow). "Blue Linckia" is even heavier, and a little faster. "Panthalassa" is heavy as fuck and relatively fast, so I take it the crowd definitely got into it at this point. Anybody who wasn't headbanging by the time they played "Donner Party" has no soul, and should not have been at this show in the first place. ;)

I also noticed about a song in, that Matt Solis, the guitarist for Cormorant was in attendance, when he should have been writing their second album :tongue::lol:

Let me tell you, Neonate is a crusher in a live setting.Toldja. (http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=10997&highlight=squid) :D

Good thing Aaron told me they'll be headlining a show later this year, so I can see them perform a full set.When and where?

Also, did you happen to talk to Jackie? She is usually out and about mixing it up with tha fans at shows, and she's really approachable. I'm dying for news about Grayceon's upcoming album. I got to hear two tracks from it live last year, and I can't wait for them to release that fucker! :snivel:

idrinkwine732
07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
By "heavier", you must mean "faster", because "La Brea Tar Pits" is definitely heavy as fuck (although slow). "Blue Linckia" is even heavier, and a little faster. "Panthalassa" is heavy as fuck and relatively fast, so I take it the crowd definitely got into it at this point. Anybody who wasn't headbanging by the time they played "Donner Party" has no soul, and should not have been at this show in the first place. ;)

Well, I think it would have been a better decision to open with Neonate, because the crowd wasn't incredibly interested early in the set. After Aaron introduced them as a great band to do acid to, they started to lighten up a bit. Everyone really liked Donner Party and Neonate though.

When and where?

Bottom of the Hill in September/October. It doesn't sound like a nationwide thing, because I think they'll play a few more shows here then write the new record.

Also, did you happen to talk to Jackie? She is usually out and about mixing it up with tha fans at shows, and she's really approachable. I'm dying for news about Grayceon's upcoming album. I got to hear two tracks from it live last year, and I can't wait for them to release that fucker! :snivel:

Funny you mentioned that, because I planned on it, and on asking about the new Grayceon as well as when they'd play the area again. She was packing some stuff up while Aaron was talking with some fans, so I didn't get to talk to her.

Aaron's really kind though, he noticed the Metazoa shirt :D

idrinkwine732
07-28-2010, 12:41 PM
This interview I'm listening to mentions a Giant Squid/Grayceon split for 2010...

Aaron goes into the stylistic aspects of Grayceon's part of the split too, so it sounds like it's a done deal. A little late to announce a 2010 release though.

Natrlhi
07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
This interview I'm listening to mentions a Giant Squid/Grayceon split for 2010...

Aaron goes into the stylistic aspects of Grayceon's part of the split too, so it sounds like it's a done deal. A little late to announce a 2010 release though.

linkpls

idrinkwine732
07-28-2010, 12:53 PM
linkpls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWzlYRPjydM

I just realized it's from about a year ago, so I don't know if it was scrapped or what.

Natrlhi
07-28-2010, 07:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWzlYRPjydM

I just realized it's from about a year ago, so I don't know if it was scrapped or what.

I had to wait until I got home to listen to it, but yeah. Sounds cool. At first, when you said it was older, I thought it might have been older than you thought, and they might have been talking about the Sutter's Fort / The West split, but this is clearly something newer than that. Like you, I wonder if it's still going to happen, or if they'll just simply focus on their respective full-length efforts.