PDA

View Full Version : Testament vs. Anthrax

es156
07-16-2010, 07:48 PM
Prompted by recent discussions in the pseudo-official thrash thread. Testament is the easy choice for me, but I was surprised to see how many people preferred Anthrax in the other thread. Skolnick is a big part of the reason for my choice. The guy is an excellent guitarist and I don't think anything Anthrax has released can touch his work. I do like Anthrax but I think their CD's are somewhat hit and miss. Also, I am not a huge fan of Belladonna's voice. Sometimes I like it and other times it kind of grates on my nerves.

So let's officially decide this.

Maiden33
07-16-2010, 07:53 PM
Anthrax, easily for me. I guess I've just never really "gotten" Testament. Admittedly I am not a huge thrash fan, so I'm not sure how seriously you should take my opinion - but there's gotta be 2 or 3 Anthrax albums I all like more than whatever my favorite Testament album is.

Skolnick is an incredible guitarist though. Savatage's "live in Japan '94" taught me that lesson a few years ago.

DethMaiden
07-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Anthrax without a doubt. Nothing against Testament, and I even thought they were pretty damn good live on Metal Masters in 2008, but God...Anthrax has some absolutely classic material. They could play a headlining show and do nothing but amazing songs. I can't say the same about Testament.

Derelict
07-16-2010, 07:58 PM
I think Anthrax was better in the 80s/90s, Testament absolutely destroys them now.

SomewhereInTime72
07-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Anthrax. There are about 5 Anthrax albums I like better than my favorite Testament album. :eek:

makethemsuffer12
07-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Anthrax without a doubt. Nothing against Testament, and I even thought they were pretty damn good live on Metal Masters in 2008, but God...Anthrax has some absolutely classic material. They could play a headlining show and do nothing but amazing songs. I can't say the same about Testament.

Yeah, from about four or five or their nine albums.

My thing with the whole Anthrax vs. Testament thing is that Testament are a much more consistent band. I honestly feel that Testament hasn't released a bad album and that their fans are more accepting of all of their material, where I don't think that there are many Anthrax fans that want to hear songs from Stomp 442 or Volume 8 live. Also, when I saw Testament last year they played at least one song from every album they released, at least I think so.

JLRedWing13
07-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Testament has been a much more consistent band, in my opinion. They've successfully experimented as far as death metal, Chuck Billy is an absolute beast and destroys Belladonna and Bush these days, and Skolnick, as mentioned in the OP, is incredibly talented and beats Scott Ian hands down.

Among The Living, Spreading The Disease, and Sound of White Noise are great albums, but I'll gladly take The New Order, The Legacy, The Gathering, and even Formation of Damnation over any of them.

JLRedWing13
07-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Yeah, from about four or five or their nine albums.

My thing with the whole Anthrax vs. Testament thing is that Testament are a much more consistent band. I honestly feel that Testament hasn't released a bad album and that their fans are more accepting of all of their material, where I don't think that there are many Anthrax fans that want to hear songs from Stomp 442 or Volume 8 live. Also, when I saw Testament last year they played at least one song from every album they released, at least I think so.
Fucking a, you beat me to it...

daimonos
07-16-2010, 08:37 PM
I pick Testament because they have been extremely consistent over the years with the quality of their releases. They haven't released a bad album. They've barely had any lineup changes, The Formation of Damnation was excellent, and they're still top notch live nowadays. That's why I would say Testament.

EDIT: Just read makethemsuffer12's comment. Well at least someone agrees with me :lol:

mankvill
07-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Testament easily.

Indestructible
07-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Anthrax

mankvill
07-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Big Four should be Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Testament.

Or Overkill.

Crionics
07-17-2010, 03:53 AM
Anthrax, their first 5 are just too good, but don't get me wrong, Testament is great too.

mastodon421
07-17-2010, 05:29 AM
Testament narrowly. They have more been more consistent. Testament and Anthrax both have amazing,classic albums but I think The New Order is better than anything Anthrax has ever released.

ravenheart
07-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Testament. No contest.

ravenheart
07-17-2010, 08:02 AM

Or Overkill.

This.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
07-17-2010, 08:08 AM
I like a few songs from each band, but have never been a fan of either. Same with Pantera.

evildeadjedi
07-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Anthrax by a small margin both bands are great and Testament has been more consistent, but the 80's/ early 90's Anthrax albums is what puts them just over Testament in my opinion.

jerry1013
07-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Me personally, it's Anthrax by a very large margin. Of the big four Anthrax is my favorite....

elturtleboy
07-17-2010, 09:22 AM
I honestly feel that Testament hasn't released a bad album

The Ritual :lame:

But im not gonna lie Anthrax with John Bush wasnt so good. Meh some stick out like Crush!:rocker:.
Other than that they hung out with Pantera to much and lost their perfect sound. Groove metal isnt for them.

I have yet to see Anthrax live(and im super excited now since Joey's playing.)
But I have seen DeathRiders with Neil Turbin live and he does a great job playing some of the Fistfull album. Do I love Testament? Yes I do. My favorite album:The Gathering. People dont like it so much cause its kinda Death metal. But i think it kicks ass. Chucky Billy is such a good singer but he has nothing on Joey or Neil.

ANTHRAX:rocker:>Testament:horns:

makethemsuffer12
07-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Go fuck a goat, The Ritual is awesome.

JLRedWing13
07-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Chucky Billy is such a good singer but he has nothing on Joey or Neil.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again, sir.

elturtleboy
07-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Go fuck a goat, The Ritual is awesome.
Even my pet Goat said he'd rather listen to John Bush Anthrax than the ritual.

Wrong, wrong, and wrong again, sir.

Anthrax rules,ritual sucked,and thats a fact.

treghet
07-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Testament for me.

Sanitarium78
07-17-2010, 11:38 AM

Or Overkill.

How many times have people had the conversation on here as to why the big four are called that? It's because they were the four bands to establish thrash metal in America. Tetament and Overkill are good but they have not had the impact and appeal that Anthrax did. Plus, Anthrax had already released their first three albums and had built up their following before Tetament released their first album. It's not about what one considers to be the best musical output when it comes to who should be in the big four it's about which bands made the most impact and Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax were it.

Testament got into the running just a few years too late. They started gaining momentum and some mainstream attention with The New Order and Practice What You Preach and it looked like they were gonna have a chance of getting on the same level as the other four but that's when Nirvana came along and destroyed all that was good in music for a time. So their opportunity to be bigger just didn't happen due to a change in popular tastes. If The Legacy had come out a few years earlier we could be talking about a big five or maybe Anthrax and Testaments roles would've been reversed. That didn't happen though and the big four are always gonna be those four bands and there's nothing we can do to change that.

My vote went to Anthrax in this poll. Tetament has good stuff but Anthrax's first five albums is a streak that just can't be fucked with at all. I like Overkill better than Testament to. As to why Overkill never got more popular i'm not sure but it just didn't happen, so what can you do about it?

IrritatedTrout
07-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Testament all the way.

mankvill
07-17-2010, 12:49 PM
It's because they were the four bands to establish thrash metal in America.

Okay. So it should be Overkill instead of Testament.

ravenheart
07-17-2010, 12:50 PM
How many times have people had the conversation on here as to why the big four are called that?

And how many times do they all have to point out everyone's fully aware of why they're called The Big Four, but Anthrax didn't deserve it?

mankvill
07-17-2010, 12:51 PM
And how many times do they all have to point out everyone's fully aware of why they're called The Big Four, but Anthrax didn't deserve it?

:fist:

BloodoftheKings
07-17-2010, 01:04 PM
No Testament album even comes close to Spreading The Disease, Among the Living, or Persistence in Time IMO.

BloodoftheKings
07-17-2010, 01:10 PM

Someone always points it out because someone always says Testament should replace Anthrax in the big four. And how did Anthrax not deserve it? Have you heard their first 5 albums?

DethMaiden
07-17-2010, 02:23 PM
No Testament album even comes close to Spreading The Disease, Among the Living, or Persistence in Time IMO.

Agreed.

Anthrax hate needs to stop now. :foaming:

makethemsuffer12
07-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Anthrax rules,ritual sucked,and thats a fact.

Yes, no, and no, it's an opinion... a shit one.

elturtleboy
07-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Agreed.

Anthrax hate needs to stop now. :foaming:

:rocker::rocker:

Yes, no, and no, it's an opinion... a shit one.

Anthrax isnt leaving the Top 4 spot anytime soon,and Testament is just still waiting inline for it.

es156
07-17-2010, 04:40 PM

But im not gonna lie Anthrax with John Bush wasnt so good. Meh some stick out like Crush!:rocker:.
Other than that they hung out with Pantera to much and lost their perfect sound. Groove metal isnt for them.

I have yet to see Anthrax live(and im super excited now since Joey's playing.)
But I have seen DeathRiders with Neil Turbin live and he does a great job playing some of the Fistfull album. Do I love Testament? Yes I do. My favorite album:The Gathering. People dont like it so much cause its kinda Death metal. But i think it kicks ass. Chucky Billy is such a good singer but he has nothing on Joey or Neil.

The Ritual is an excellent disc. I saw them on that tour in 1992 opening for Maiden. The Gathering is also a great disc, of course.

I like The Sound Of White Noise but I am not a big fan of the other John Bush CD's. (Although I am a big fan of John Bush with Armored Saint.)

Vocally, I prefer Chuck Billy over Belladonna or Turbin.

Surmounting Terror
07-17-2010, 05:21 PM
The Ritual is an excellent disc. I saw them on that tour in 1992 opening for Maiden. The Gathering is also a great disc, of course.

I like The Sound Of White Noise but I am not a big fan of the other John Bush CD's. (Although I am a big fan of John Bush with Armored Saint.)

Vocally, I prefer Chuck Billy over Belladonna or Turbin.

My feelings exactly.

The Ritual :rocker:
Sound Of White Noise:rocker:

John Bush :rocker: >>>>>>>>>>> Belladonna
Armored Saint :rocker:

Testament > Anthrax

JRA
07-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I for one think it's extremely fucking sad that the reason people are questioning Anthrax's big four is because of a) the fact that the person who isn't into metal yet watches Vh1 knows who Scott Ian and the tr00 metal fans are butthurt about it, b) Anthrax hasn't had strong management or record company support and c) Anthrax made bad business decisions.

I mean, I don't endorse all the shit Scott and Charlie have done, but Jesus Christ, what a bunch of fucking retards.

I bet if Anthrax wrote a song that made you wonder "I wonder if this song supports nazi's" none of you would be questioning them.

mankvill
07-17-2010, 06:56 PM
I for one think it's extremely fucking sad that the reason people are questioning Anthrax's big four is because of a) the fact that the person who isn't into metal yet watches Vh1 knows who Scott Ian and the tr00 metal fans are butthurt about it, b) Anthrax hasn't had strong management or record company support and c) Anthrax made bad business decisions.

I mean, I don't endorse all the shit Scott and Charlie have done, but Jesus Christ, what a bunch of fucking retards.

I bet if Anthrax wrote a song that made you wonder "I wonder if this song supports nazi's" none of you would be questioning them.

no

JRA
07-17-2010, 07:02 PM
NO U

SomewhereInTime72
07-17-2010, 09:07 PM
lol @ the idea that Anthrax aren't better than both Metallica and Slayer

makethemsuffer12
07-17-2010, 09:14 PM

...Because they're not.

SomewhereInTime72
07-17-2010, 09:16 PM
...Because they're not.

Yeah, I guess if you don't like interesting thrash, you would think so.

My personal big four: Megadeth, Anthrax, Kreator, Overkill

maybe the lesser bands can come in after that

mankvill
07-17-2010, 09:25 PM

lol @ the idea that the first 5 Slayer albums aren't the best thrash albums ever released ever and Anthrax hasn't been floundering in shitty radio rock/doing jack shit for the past decade

SomewhereInTime72
07-17-2010, 09:28 PM
lol @ the idea that the first 5 Slayer albums aren't the best thrash albums ever released ever and Anthrax hasn't been floundering in shitty radio rock/doing jack shit for the past decade

Slayer and Anthrax for the past decade have been pretty much on par with each other. That is... doing absolutely nothing of value. Well... at least WCFYA was a pretty decent album. Which puts Anthrax above Slayer... so... yeah.

and im pretty sure best is not the correct spelling for most overrated.

mankvill
07-17-2010, 10:13 PM
i dont liek new slayer so therefore its bad

SomewhereInTime72
07-17-2010, 10:42 PM

Since we're talking about opinions here, there is nothing ironic or false about that implication. ;)

besides even if you like new slayer you have to admit theyve just been making lower quality rewrites of GHUA.

JRA
07-17-2010, 10:44 PM
lol @ the idea that Spreading the Disease through Persistance of Time aren't the best thrash albums ever released ever and Slayer haven't been complacent doing detuned hot topic "extreme metal" for the past decade

same argument really.

mankvill
07-17-2010, 10:47 PM
okay okay

so big four is Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill, and Testament

Glad we came to an understanding!

Mods, please lock this thread now.

ravenheart
07-18-2010, 02:43 AM
Yeah, I guess if you don't like interesting thrash, you would think so.

You want interesting thrash, but Testament aren't on your list? :confused:

The Green and Black
07-18-2010, 01:44 PM
Testament all the way. I like both bands but Testament is by far the better choice here.

Dissimulate
07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Anthrax irritate me, Testament are awesome. Clear choice. Also, the Big Four is related to sales, not merit. If it were merit based, Anthrax would be so far down the list it wouldn't be funny.

BloodoftheKings
07-18-2010, 09:34 PM
The big 4 is based on the band's 80s albums. Why do people think Anthrax dosn't deserve the spot in the big 4 because of their bush era albums? If that makes them not worthy then how come nobody questions Metallica's place in the big 4? Load and Reload are far worse then stomp 442 and vol 8.

Dissimulate
07-18-2010, 09:51 PM
The big 4 is based on the band's 80s albums. Why do people think Anthrax dosn't deserve the spot in the big 4 because of their bush era albums? If that makes them not worthy then how come nobody questions Metallica's place in the big 4? Load and Reload are far worse then stomp 442 and vol 8.
For me, it's not because of the Bush albums. I overall just plain dislike Anthrax. If it were merit based, Metallica would be tenuous for me, but their first three would still keep them in there.

SomewhereInTime72
07-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Anthrax irritate me, Testament are awesome. Clear choice. Also, the Big Four is related to sales, not merit. If it were merit based, Anthrax would be so far down the list it wouldn't be funny.

It is somewhat merit based... more specifically, "impact-based", which is kinda the midpoint of merit and sales. Honestly no other band could really fill the role of any other big four, without it just being a list of favorites. :bouville:

mankvill
07-18-2010, 11:11 PM
exodus
hirax
artillery
toxic holocaust

the new big 4

Dissimulate
07-18-2010, 11:21 PM
It is somewhat merit based... more specifically, "impact-based", which is kinda the midpoint of merit and sales. Honestly no other band could really fill the role of any other big four, without it just being a list of favorites. :bouville:
I'd argue with you about influence. I'd say that Anthrax and maybe even Megadeth are less influential than the big three German thrash bands.

The Green and Black
07-19-2010, 06:18 AM
Personally, I love the Bush era Anthrax albums, but I still think Testament is better. :D

Sanitarium78
07-19-2010, 08:22 AM
I'd argue with you about influence. I'd say that Anthrax and maybe even Megadeth are less influential than the big three German thrash bands.

I'm not doubting bands like Sodom, Kreator and Destructions influence on the genre but do you think they honeslty inspired more people to play a guitar than Dave Mustaine did?

Ok...whatever man:lol:

Dissimulate
07-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm not doubting bands like Sodom, Kreator and Destructions influence on the genre but do you think they honeslty inspired more people to play a guitar than Dave Mustaine did?

The thing is, I can directly see the influence of those three bands on the genres of black and death metal. I can't see the influence of Megadeth on any particular genre, and I can't think of too many examples of people being influenced by them.

ravenheart
07-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Personally, I love the Bush era Anthrax albums, but I still think Testament is better. :D

Agreed on both points.

ravenheart
07-19-2010, 01:15 PM

In Central Europe, yes, absolutely.

Wizzbang11
07-19-2010, 01:18 PM
In Central Europe, yes, absolutely.

And Central & South America, plus all over the world in a lot of the more extreme black/thrash metal circles.

girnny777
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Anthrax

I do admit that Testament has been much more consistent. Hell, compared to most thrash bands Testament wins in that category. Metallica, Slayer, Exodus, Anthrax and Megadeth have all spent the better part of the last 2 decades releasing shit album after shit album. But Testament never made the dive into garbage like them. Also, The Formation of Damnation was totally kick-ass.

But Anthrax... come one. Metal Thrashing Mad, Be All, End All, nearly every song on Spreading The Disease and Among The Living... Those are some of my favorite songs in all of metal. Testament doesn't have any songs as good as those.

larvtard
07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Admittely, I haven't even listened to Anthrax. Just never got around to it.

But I can say this about Testament.
The Legacy- ok
The New Order- mostly great, but could be more consistent
next three albums- no
Low- I can't get into it. The music is great- I like the heavier direction- but Chuck's clean vocals, especially on "Dog Faced Gods," turn me off. His screams are amazing, though.
Demonic- I love this direction of theirs, but there aren't any memorable songs
The Gathering- overrated IMO
The Formation of Damnation- title track is fantastic, other songs are good/great. A bit of an overproduced vibe though...

So in conclusion, they've got one great album, one pretty good album, one decent/good album, and the rest are meh.

If Testament is the better of the two, then Anthrax must SUCK.

Dissimulate
07-21-2010, 07:16 PM
If Testament is the better of the two, then Anthrax must SUCK.
They do.

idrinkwine732
07-21-2010, 07:18 PM
next three albums- no

I don't like you.

larvtard
07-21-2010, 07:21 PM
I don't like you.

:lovedup: :bawling: :headoff:

idrinkwine732
07-21-2010, 07:23 PM
All three are classics, they don't have a bad album, and a few okay ones.

larvtard
07-21-2010, 08:13 PM

Souls of Black is alright. I've heard a couple of songs off Practice and The Ritual, hated them. Maybe I have to listen to the whole albums though to give a fair opinion.

BloodoftheKings
07-21-2010, 08:53 PM

Personally I cant listen to the whole thing of Low or Demonic without falling asleep.

idrinkwine732
07-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Personally I cant listen to the whole thing of Low or Demonic without falling asleep.

Those are the two "okay" ones, actually :lol:

BloodoftheKings
07-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Those are the two "okay" ones, actually :lol:

I like The Gathering and Formation of Damnation but I strongly prefer Chuck's regular vocals over his growling.

JLRedWing13
07-22-2010, 05:14 PM

:agree:

idrinkwine732
07-22-2010, 05:56 PM
I like The Gathering and Formation of Damnation but I strongly prefer Chuck's regular vocals over his growling.

Dude...dem vox in the Formation title track...:drool:

BloodoftheKings
07-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Dude...dem vox in the Formation title track...:drool:

I know but most of the songs still have the normal vox.

TonyD
07-22-2010, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the people who voted for Stairway and Anthrax also voted for Freebird and Testament in each poll.

SomewhereInTime72
07-23-2010, 04:58 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of the people who voted for Stairway and Anthrax also voted for Freebird and Testament in each poll.

wat

JRA
07-23-2010, 07:01 AM

Don't forget Rebellion In Dreamland and Blinded By Fear. :money:

DethMaiden
07-23-2010, 10:19 AM
Don't forget Rebellion In Dreamland and Blinded By Fear. :money:

Quit pretending that poll had any value.

PowerMaiden
07-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I still really don't get people who says Slayer has release only shit for a long time (since Seasons) . To me this is absolutetly crazy. Really appart from Chris Illusion which has only 3 or 4 great songs on it the rest is fucking brillant. You people need to re listen to those albums.

back to topic, Anthrax for me

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

ravenheart
07-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I still really don't get people who says Slayer has release only shit for a long time (since Seasons) . To me this is absolutetly crazy. Really appart from Chris Illusion which has only 3 or 4 great songs on it the rest is fucking brillant. You people need to re listen to those albums.

This, except with spelling and grammar ;)

JRA
07-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Quit pretending that poll had any value.

Quit pretending your face.

back to topic, Anthrax for me

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

You like Playing with Dolls so your opinion is kind of irrelevant.

ravenheart
07-23-2010, 03:04 PM
your opinion is kind of accurate.

This.

larvtard
07-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Well I just listened to two Anthrax songs....

My vote is Testament.

Belladonna's vocals immediately turn me off :sick:

ravenheart
07-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Well I just listened to two Anthrax songs....

My vote is Testament.

Belladonna's vocals immediately turn me off :sick:

Try the John Bush stuff. Your vote is still correct, but there's good stuff to be found in Anthrax. And Belladonna in 2010 sounds amazing.

larvtard
07-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Try the John Bush stuff. Your vote is still correct, but there's good stuff to be found in Anthrax. And Belladonna in 2010 sounds amazing.

Wow... Bush is a LOT better. He makes "Indians" actually listenable :cool:

Still, his voice doesn't sound like it fits the music. He doesn't have a thrash voice, I guess is what I'm saying.
And his albums with Anthrax are barely even thrash.

ravenheart
07-23-2010, 03:54 PM
And his albums with Anthrax are barely even thrash.

Nope. But they're all good.

JLRedWing13
07-23-2010, 04:50 PM
Sound of White Noise is an awesome album.

El Gordo
07-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Sound of White Noise is an awesome album when compared to the shit that came after it.

Fixed. :P