PDA

View Full Version : Inception

Dextrimental
07-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Just seen it, it was awesome! I would review it, but I feel that due to the nature of this movie, a review would only lessen its impact. Therefore I will merely say that I recommend you all see it :)

jhdeity
07-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Loved the movie. Very intellectual and visually stimulating. Great acting and spot-on casting choices. Ellen Page is really a great actress. So believeable and likeable and actually kinda hot in this flick. All that being said I still enjoyed Shutter Island more.

I've only been mindfucked on that level a few times and that was Top 3 for sure. For 2010 I'd rate my Top 3:

1) Shutter Island
2) Inception
3) Hot Tub Time Machine

The best scene of 2010 is still the bathroom scene in HTTM. I've never screamed laughing in a theater in my life.... until then.

treghet
07-16-2010, 05:23 PM
I have not seen the movie yet (I'm planning to) but from the commercial I can tell you that when a train hits a car it doesn't bounce in the other direction. The "train" was actually a big rig mock-up.

Note the tires in this picture:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=298478&nseq=1

Here is one of it during the shoot:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=298049&nseq=2

Dextrimental
07-16-2010, 06:23 PM
Loved the movie. Very intellectual and visually stimulating. Great acting and spot-on casting choices. Ellen Page is really a great actress. So believeable and likeable and actually kinda hot in this flick. All that being said I still enjoyed Shutter Island more.

Agreed on all counts, bar Shutter Island, I still haven't seen it. My sister, whom I saw Inception with, didn't enjoy it, but she still said I should see it. I will download it tonight methinks!

And yes, Inception contains a rare thing, a perfect cast. Just a perfectly sculpted piece of cinema in my opinion, with lots of food for thought.

NecroRob
07-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I don't think it would be an exaggeration for me to say Inception is quite possibly one of the best movies I have ever seen. I need to see it again though...

And yes Ellen Paige is really god damn hot.

powerslave_85
07-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I thought I was getting too hyped for this movie, but it absolutely shattered all of my expectations. It's an absolute masterpiece.

TonyD
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
The best scene of 2010 is still the bathroom scene in HTTM. I've never screamed laughing in a theater in my life.... until then.

What scene was that again? Apparently it wasn't that memorable...

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-16-2010, 10:45 PM
So insightful it makes you think for hours after the film. Ridiculously amazing. That is all.

NecroRob
07-16-2010, 11:49 PM
So insightful it makes you think for hours after the film. Ridiculously amazing. That is all.

And the more you think about everything, the more it all makes sense...

mastodon421
07-17-2010, 03:30 AM
Saw It last night and I loved it as well. Very well acted with a complex and beyond original storyline and it was just an amazing film. It's my one of the best films released this year for sure and will most likely stay that way.

larvtard
07-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Eh I didn't like it too much. Way too confusing but not even that enjoyable either.

Remember when the girl first entered the dream with Leonardo DiCaprio and he asked her "Do you remember how you got here?" And she didn't know? Well, that's what Inception was like for me. I would be watching a scene and then proceed to wonder how we even got to that scene.

Shutter Island > Inception

makethemsuffer12
07-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I saw it earlier today. Fucking awesome movie.

jhdeity
07-17-2010, 09:13 PM
What scene was that again? Apparently it wasn't that memorable...

Seriously? I won't ruin it but... Dude awakens and his buddy is covered in splooge.

I've never laughed that loud in public in my life. I actually screamed and so did the girl I was with. I laughed the entire car ride home discussing that movie especially that scene. Comedy of the year by a mile for me...

ShatteredFlame
07-18-2010, 07:09 PM
I went to see this today but about 20mins in (the 2nd chase scene) the power cut forcing everyone to evacuate the theater =/. The staff poorly handled the instructions so most people just left. Hopefully when we go back tomorrow they will let us in no problem because that was just fucking bullshit. Also hope there is something else good playing around that side of the theater to sneak into.

But I really feel bad for those that paid for the IMAX show. There was only 4 showings a day at that theater. How the hell will they refund all that?

ChildrenofSodom
07-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I am still experiencing the immediate post-viewing Euphoria....but that was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Absolutely amazing, mindfuckingly brilliant.

Dextrimental
07-19-2010, 04:53 PM
Eh I didn't like it too much. Way too confusing but not even that enjoyable either.

Remember when the girl first entered the dream with Leonardo DiCaprio and he asked her "Do you remember how you got here?" And she didn't know? Well, that's what Inception was like for me. I would be watching a scene and then proceed to wonder how we even got to that scene.

Shutter Island > Inception

Go back and watch it again, it will make more sense the second time around! That being said, I thought the movie was completely straightforward, it never lost track of itself, or made me feel like it was going to. And believe me, I was very much thinking that it was going to.

DethMaiden
07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I loved it.

And I thought it perfectly straddled the line between great flick and mindfuck as well as just about any movie I've ever seen. And a lot of my favorite movies will fuck yo mind. ;)

ShatteredFlame
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
It was pretty good.

ravenheart
07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Saw it tonight. Fucking brilliant.

ravenheart
07-20-2010, 03:20 PM

None of the things you said make it a bad movie. Just one you didn't understand.

mankvill
07-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Mindfuck movies are the best. What up, Takashi Miike!

Probably seeing this tomorrow.

mankvill
07-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Saw it. Loved it. Need to go back and watch more Leo DiCaprio movies.

But it wasn't nearly as confusing as you people make it out to be. I understood what was going on the entire time.

Wizzbang11
07-21-2010, 05:24 PM
But it wasn't nearly as confusing as you people make it out to be. I understood what was going on the entire time.

Exactly. I was a tiny bit disappointed by that.
I really liked it, but I would never call it one of the best movies ever. Memento was better, Batman movies and Prestige weren't as good.

mankvill
07-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Exactly. I was a tiny bit disappointed by that.
I really liked it, but I would never call it one of the best movies ever. Memento was better, Batman movies and Prestige weren't as good.

So does Christopher Nolan use the same people in every movie or what? :lol:

I thought Fischer was Christian Bale by the pictures they showed at first, but then realized it was Cillian Murphy...who was in both Nolan-directed Batman films as well! :lol: And of course Michael Caine.

I think Leonardo DiCaprio is fucking awesome! This + Shutter Islane = amazing.

DethMaiden
07-21-2010, 09:37 PM
I have no problem with directors re-casting people as long as new people get added to the mix and are awesome too. Hugh Jackman and David Bowie in The Prestige, Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard in Inception, etc.

mankvill
07-21-2010, 09:39 PM
I have no problem with directors re-casting people as long as new people get added to the mix and are awesome too. Hugh Jackman and David Bowie in The Prestige, Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard in Inception, etc.

Totes. Quentin Tarantino needs to start using the same people again too!

powerslave_85
07-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the Riddler would fucking rock. Actually, I don't care who he plays, as long as he's in it. He's one of my favorite actors.

TonyD
07-29-2010, 10:31 PM
I STILL HAVEN'T SEEN THIS FUUUUUUUUU-

SomewhereInTime72
07-30-2010, 11:47 PM
So, this movie is really good. I was disappointed at the lack of fuck that my mind received (given the hype) but that didn't stop me from enjoying the movie.

JLRedWing13
07-31-2010, 12:09 PM
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the Riddler would fucking rock. Actually, I don't care who he plays, as long as he's in it. He's one of my favorite actors.
His performance in Inception was fucking great. Consider me a fan of his as well after seeing this.

evildeadjedi
07-31-2010, 04:00 PM
Never was there a point that I felt the movie was dragging at all, it had excellent pacing. Well acted, looked beautiful, sounded great and kept me on the edge of my seat. I can already tell I will be thinking about this one for awhile. Definitely a day one purchase on Blu-ray for me!

DethMaiden
08-01-2010, 09:22 AM
http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1953/23ma4xx.jpg

JLRedWing13
08-01-2010, 09:44 AM
:lol: I've seen that before but it never gets old.

Dissimulate
08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
It was decent, not terrible but not quite as good as it was hyped up to be, and definitely not anything of a mindfuck.

DethMaiden
08-02-2010, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure what made it not a mindfuck. It presented you with a crazy, impossible, psychologically heavy-handed concept, then went balls-deep in it. Does everything mindfucking have to be surreal? This wasn't like Eraserhead, but it wasn't supposed to be.

ChildrenofSodom
08-02-2010, 06:27 AM
That picture is fucking awesome!! And yes, if I had that tecnnology, I would probably only use it for sex.

orlandodavis
08-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Anybody else see that ending coming a mile away?

ravenheart
08-03-2010, 01:29 AM
Anybody else see that ending coming a mile away?

I honestly thought there'd be more cow rape.

orlandodavis
08-03-2010, 01:54 AM
No your mum was not in this movie. Maybe she'll be in the deleted scenes.

treghet
08-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Just saw it. Favorite movie this year. I can't wait until it comes out on DVD.

jhdeity
08-09-2010, 08:53 PM
On the Mindfuck scale...

Shutter Island was a solid 9

Inception was a 2

Great movie. Maybe my expectations were too high but it seemed dumbed-down to me. I kept waiting for some revelation or something to blow my mind and it never happened. Like orlandodavis said... Saw the ending coming a mile away and pretty much expected it.

Anyone see where Christopher Nolan is being accused of stealing the Inception idea from a Duck Tales comic? Hard to dispute...

http://disneycomics.free.fr/Ducks/Rosa/show.php?num=1&loc=D2002-033&s=date

Rmeiselman
08-10-2010, 07:19 AM
Loved Inception the first time I saw it. I went in with no expectations and came out thoroughly impressed.

Seeing it again with the gf tonight. We'll see if it holds up a second time.

zgodt
08-10-2010, 07:34 AM
I thought I was getting too hyped for this movie, but it absolutely shattered all of my expectations. It's an absolute masterpiece.
Damn, really? From the trailers I think it looks pretty shitty. I'm afraid it's gonna be like the Matrix all over again. (Me: this looks dumb. Everybody: no, it's phenomenal, go see it now! Me, two hours later: that was every bit as dumb as it looked.)

powerslave_85
08-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Yeah, I dunno, my opinion of it has somewhat tempered over time (I haven't seen it a second time), but I do think it's an exceptionally well-crafted movie with some stunning visuals. I certainly don't think it's as intellectual as a lot of people are making it out to be. I think some are saying "OMG IT'S SO DEEP!" because it feels like Shakespeare compared to most other (mainstream) movies coming out right now.

zgodt
08-10-2010, 07:43 AM
All right. Well, I suppose I'll have to see it eventually, because people are starting to look at me funny when I tell them I haven't.

JRA
08-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I haven't seen it yet either.

zgodt
08-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Saw it tonight. It's not bad. Pretty entertaining. But it's no masterpiece.

powerslave_85
08-12-2010, 09:08 AM
Saw it tonight. It's not bad. Pretty entertaining. But it's no masterpiece.
What did you think of the ending?

zgodt
08-12-2010, 01:26 PM
I actually knew that ending was coming, because the first time I overheard people talking about the movie they were asking each other if they thought the top was going to keep spinning or not. At the time I didn't know what the fuck they meant, but as soon as I figured out what the top was, then I knew how the movie was going to end.

It's fine, ya know? It's sort of a "The Lady or the Tiger" ending. You get to decide what's real. Woohoo. But beyond the gimmick, who cares? I don't get a whole lot of weight out of it, other than the "aha!"

I feel like the movie did its best NOT to get into some of the trickier territory that could've made it more compelling/weightier. Like, the idea they plant ends up being coincidentally good for the person being implanted and also for the whole world -- hooray! -- so we don't have to even think, really, about the ethics of "inception" or the problems with having literally mind-altering tech in the hands of the richest and most powerful.

That's the kind of questions that Dollhouse dealt with until it got canceled. But you know, that's Joss Whedon's thing -- what's the biggest issue we can tackle with this? then let's go for that! I feel like the Inception producers had a chance for that, but they backed away, so that they would have more time to recreate the Hoth ice planet battle scene from Empire Strikes Back.

TonyD
08-18-2010, 12:02 AM
So I finally saw this shit, I think it was a little overhyped but either way a good movie. I don't think it was as big of a mindfuck as some people made it out to be though. I'm also pretty jaded with CGI so no visual effects really impress me any more, I thought the coolest part was the hallway fight scene.

jhdeity
08-18-2010, 06:29 AM
I actually knew that ending was coming, because the first time I overheard people talking about the movie they were asking each other if they thought the top was going to keep spinning or not. At the time I didn't know what the fuck they meant, but as soon as I figured out what the top was, then I knew how the movie was going to end.

It's fine, ya know? It's sort of a "The Lady or the Tiger" ending. You get to decide what's real. Woohoo. But beyond the gimmick, who cares? I don't get a whole lot of weight out of it, other than the "aha!"

I feel like the movie did its best NOT to get into some of the trickier territory that could've made it more compelling/weightier. Like, the idea they plant ends up being coincidentally good for the person being implanted and also for the whole world -- hooray! -- so we don't have to even think, really, about the ethics of "inception" or the problems with having literally mind-altering tech in the hands of the richest and most powerful.

That's the kind of questions that Dollhouse dealt with until it got canceled. But you know, that's Joss Whedon's thing -- what's the biggest issue we can tackle with this? then let's go for that! I feel like the Inception producers had a chance for that, but they backed away, so that they would have more time to recreate the Hoth ice planet battle scene from Empire Strikes Back.

Couldn't agree more. Inception could have been the movie some claim it is but it chose to stay safe. It was almost too predictable. I remember seeing the scenes from the trailer and thinking, ok that's what that was about and when the ice scene started I remember looking at my watch.

Still only seen it once but I stand by my initial reaction. Shutter Island > Inception.

DethMaiden
10-20-2010, 06:36 AM
DVD release set for December 7th. I'll be in Best Buy. http://www.amazon.com/Inception-Leonardo-DiCaprio/dp/B002ZG980U/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287585333&sr=1-2

powerslave_85
10-20-2010, 07:25 AM
I hate that Inception and How To Train Your Dragon stayed in theaters so long. Then we have to wait forever for the DVDs.

DethMaiden
10-20-2010, 07:55 AM
I hate that Inception and How To Train Your Dragon stayed in theaters so long. Then we have to wait forever for the DVDs.

Eh, I'm pretty okay with letting good movies dominate the box office so studios will be encouraged to make more of them.

JRA
11-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Finally saw it tonight

The ending was bullshit and Christopher Nolan needs a slap across the face for getting everyones hopes up like that. We barely let you get away with one downer ending on Dark Knight you dickcheese.

But that aside, good movie.

evildeadjedi
11-13-2010, 10:09 AM
I really wish there was a coupon code for money off pre-orders from the Warner Bros site. The collector's blu-ray set is nice but, not 49.99 nice.

Div
11-13-2010, 09:32 PM
I was also in the "impressed but not mindfucked" category. The beginning was the hardest part to follow, as the movie went on all the pieces come together naturally, nothing was a surprise to me really. I thought the movie had a good idea behind it, but it was wasted on these lame characters and shitty plot. What Inception needs is for someone to make a good videogame for it that has a completely original story from the movie.

InPatient5100
12-10-2010, 10:18 AM
Good movie, a little over rated and compilcated though.

idrinkwine732
12-11-2010, 05:07 PM
I saw this yesterday and I followed it perfectly fine. Don't know what everyone was bitching about.

JRA
12-11-2010, 06:06 PM
Yea everyone says how much of a mindfuck it was and I wasn't blown away in that regard at all.