PDA

View Full Version : Anthrax Added To Second Leg Of Carnage Tour?

300%_Density
07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Couldn't find original post and was too lazy to look for it so starting new one. Found on blabbermouth http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142636 I would love to have Anthrax on the leg of Carnage I'm going to but we shall see.... Let the Anthrax comments begin....... Now.

JLRedWing13
07-06-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't know what to make of this right now...

mankvill
07-06-2010, 08:31 PM
Would be tits. I don't really listen to Anthrax, but that'd be awesome.

300%_Density
07-06-2010, 08:34 PM
I will prob be eaten alive on here for saying this but I would rather see Anthrax than Testament however I would still love to see Testament but just prefer Anthrax more. I shall be stoned to death on here now.

mankvill
07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
I will prob be eaten alive on here for saying this but I would rather see Anthrax than Testament however I would still love to see Testament but just prefer Anthrax more. I shall be stoned to death on here now.

*punch*

Did you not see them at the Beaumont last June?

DethMaiden
07-06-2010, 08:47 PM

Are you kidding me? Anthrax all the way. They've got a few of the best thrash albums of all time under their belt. Not saying I hate Testament, they were pretty good when I saw them live in 2008, but Anthrax are fucking legendary in my opinion - even if they have been more or less floundering for 15 years. :lol:

makethemsuffer12
07-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I know the article mentions a second leg, but the first paragraph makes it seem like that they're gonna do some of the shows next month, so I is confused.

But if Anthrax do play some of the shows next month (especially the one I'm going to at the Meadowlands, considering that's as close to home for Anthrax that the tour is coming to) it would be amazing. They're the only band out of the Big 4 that I have yet to see.

300%_Density
07-06-2010, 08:57 PM
*punch*

Did you not see them at the Beaumont last June?

I will take that punch no I did not get to see them there. I am shamed I know.....

mankvill
07-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Are you kidding me? Anthrax all the way. They've got a few of the best thrash albums of all time under their belt. Not saying I hate Testament, they were pretty good when I saw them live in 2008, but Anthrax are fucking legendary in my opinion - even if they have been more or less floundering for 15 years. :lol:

*punch*

For "legendary" thrash bands, these are my ratings:

1. Testament
2. Megadeth
3. Slayer (first time)
4. Metallica
5. Slayer (second time)
6. Exodus

Although to be fair, I had to watch Exodus from outside. And all these bands got 8/10 or higher!

mankvill
07-06-2010, 08:58 PM
I will take that punch no I did not get to see them there. I am shamed I know.....

Man, it was crazy. It's a shame they didn't bring back American Waste this year. In one day, I got to see Hammerlord, Troglodyte, Skeletonwitch, The Esoteric and Testament. :rocker:

makethemsuffer12
07-06-2010, 09:02 PM
*punch*

1. Testament
2. Megadeth
3. Slayer (first time)
4. Metallica
5. Slayer (second time)
6. Exodus

Although to be fair, I had to watch Exodus from outside. And all these bands got 8/10 or higher!

The best thrash show I've experienced is between Exodus the first time I saw them, Kreator the second time I saw them, and Overkill. I would say Kreator is probably closest to number one. Their set was amazingly brutaltastic (fuck you, English language).

xStructualDefect
07-06-2010, 09:09 PM
off topic, but can someone reccommend me some Testament? what i've heard in the past was awesome but i never got into them because i don't know where to start.

TonyD
07-06-2010, 09:09 PM
*punch*

1. Testament
2. Megadeth
3. Slayer (first time)
4. Metallica
5. Slayer (second time)
6. Exodus

I hope you're talking about live performances

larvtard
07-06-2010, 09:21 PM
off topic, but can someone reccommend me some Testament? what i've heard in the past was awesome but i never got into them because i don't know where to start.

The New Order is the best of their four thrash albums. also, if you like that check out The Legacy

mankvill
07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
I hope you're talking about live performances

yes sir

TonyD
07-06-2010, 09:26 PM
yes sir

Fair enough. For one, Chuck Billy's voice has held up the best by far.

makethemsuffer12
07-06-2010, 09:34 PM

If you want the core Testament sound, definately check out their first three (The Legacy, The New Order, and Practice What You Preach). The New Order is my personal favorite, so I would start with that. Souls of Black is still along the same lines as their last three, but not as thrash. It also (along with the other first few) suffers from pretty bad production. Their next album, The Ritual, is more of a traditional heavy metal/hard rock album, but is a really underrated and overlooked record. Then their next three (Low, Demonic, the Gathering) starts to branch out into death metal a little bit, which is most evident on Demonic. And then of course their last album, The Formation of Damnation, is kind of a return to thrash in a way, but with a lot of elements of the last three.

tl;dr; Start with The New Order, then I would say to check out The Formation of Damnation, and then eventually everything else :lol:

daimonos
07-06-2010, 09:39 PM
I think that of all the 80's American Thrash bands, Testament has held up the best over the years as far as the quality of their releases compared to the other bands, and I gotta respect that. I love The Formation of Damnation.

xStructualDefect
07-06-2010, 09:58 PM
If you want the core Testament sound, definately check out their first three (The Legacy, The New Order, and Practice What You Preach). The New Order is my personal favorite, so I would start with that. Souls of Black is still along the same lines as their last three, but not as thrash. It also (along with the other first few) suffers from pretty bad production. Their next album, The Ritual, is more of a traditional heavy metal/hard rock album, but is a really underrated and overlooked record. Then their next three (Low, Demonic, the Gathering) starts to branch out into death metal a little bit, which is most evident on Demonic. And then of course their last album, The Formation of Damnation, is kind of a return to thrash in a way, but with a lot of elements of the last three.

tl;dr; Start with The New Order, then I would say to check out The Formation of Damnation, and then eventually everything else :lol:

thanks a lot for the info and reccommendations i really appreciate it. i will definently look into these tonight or in the next few days.

idrinkwine732
07-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Fair enough. For one, Chuck Billy's voice has held up the best by far.

Don't pretend like Zetro didn't rock it at DDP. Although not an original Exodus member, he certainly warrants mention when it comes to long term vocal ability. I loved watching him perform Toxic Waltz with the rest of the band earlier this year.

JLRedWing13
07-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Anthrax over Testament? What is this blasphemy?

elturtleboy
07-06-2010, 11:13 PM
aww so when is it considerd second leg?
Please tell me by aug.30th.:bowdown:
That would seriously be the greatest show in the fuckin world.:wow:

and in my opinion.
Slayer>Anthrax>Megadeth>Testament

davidis138
07-07-2010, 01:15 AM
If this is true then here's to hoping theres a CA date on this "second-leg"

xStructualDefect
07-07-2010, 01:35 AM
i checked out The Legacy and The New Order and both are fucking awesome. i need to relisten a few more times but i think i liked The New Order a bit more. i'm listening to Practice What You Preach now and so far it's also awesome.

b_halperin
07-07-2010, 04:56 AM
i checked out The Legacy and The New Order and both are fucking awesome. i need to relisten a few more times but i think i liked The New Order a bit more. i'm listening to Practice What You Preach now and so far it's also awesome.

deff check out this as well for testament: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSFT-eu0DB0

:D

satan

Derelict
07-07-2010, 05:00 AM
I'm sure I'm in the extreme minority on this one, but my fav Testament albums are Low and Demonic.

Crionics
07-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Second leg NEEDS something near DC or Virginia. And this would be just sweet.

daimonos
07-07-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm sure I'm in the extreme minority on this one, but my fav Testament albums are Low and Demonic.

I'm somewhat with you about Low. There's not a bad song on the album, and it's heavy, groovy, and thrashy as hell most of the time. I haven't heard Demonic, but I think Gene Hoglan is on it so I need to get around to checking it out.

girnny777
07-07-2010, 08:42 AM
I think the second leg might possibly be the US dates since there's a two week break between the Canadian and US shows.

Sanitarium78
07-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Not by me, Anthrax all the way here. Testament is good but Anthrax helped establish thrash metal and helped it gain it's following way more than Testament has. Also, Anthrax is responsible for three of the best thrash albums of all time in STD, ATL and POT. Testament has good stuff but I don't think it's even close to the same level as those three Anthrax releases. I know a lot of people don't like them with Bush here but they released some very good stuff with him as well. Both SOWN and WCFYA are great albums.

If they add a second leg hopefully they can get a date in my area somewhere. I would go see this if it came around here even if Anthrax wasn't on it. But adding them just makes it that much more of a "must see" tour now.

Natrlhi
07-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Are you kidding me? Anthrax all the way. They've got a few of the best thrash albums of all time under their belt. Not saying I hate Testament, they were pretty good when I saw them live in 2008, but Anthrax are fucking legendary in my opinion - even if they have been more or less floundering for 15 years. :lol:This...

Not by me, Anthrax all the way here. Testament is good but Anthrax helped establish thrash metal and helped it gain it's following way more than Testament has. Also, Anthrax is responsible for three of the best thrash albums of all time in STD, ATL and POT. Testament has good stuff but I don't think it's even close to the same level as those three Anthrax releases. I know a lot of people don't like them with Bush here but they released some very good stuff with him as well. Both SOWN and WCFYA are great albums.

If they add a second leg hopefully they can get a date in my area somewhere. I would go see this if it came around here even if Anthrax wasn't on it. But adding them just makes it that much more of a "must see" tour now....and this.

evildeadjedi
07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm in the Anthrax > Testament camp.

bt11763
07-07-2010, 10:46 AM
i like testament more than anthrax, but that's probably because i listen to more testament. i would love to see this happen though

mankvill
07-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Slayer (2,883 plays)
Sodom (1,284 plays)
Metallica (1,049 plays)
Megadeth (942 plays)
Kreator (561 plays)
Overkill (483 plays)
Testament (422 plays)
Exodus (270 plays)

Anthrax (1 plays)

Sup bias :)

DethMaiden
07-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Slayer (2,883 plays)
Sodom (1,284 plays)
Metallica (1,049 plays)
Megadeth (942 plays)
Kreator (561 plays)
Overkill (483 plays)
Testament (422 plays)
Exodus (270 plays)

Anthrax (1 plays)

Sup bias :)

Listen to Destruction. :nutkick:

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
I don't know, for some reason I can't really get into Destruction. The Antichrist is a great album, but otherwise I can't really get into them.

DethMaiden
07-07-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't know, for some reason I can't really get into Destruction. The Antichrist is a great album, but otherwise I can't really get into them.

From strictly a riff perspective, they could be my favorite thrash band. They don't always dress their riffs up nicely with songwriting, but especially in the early days, they had some of the most fucked up, crazy thrash riffs ever.

And wtf, manks. No Sepultura either? Go buy Infernal Overkill and Beneath the Remains before you post on here like you know shit about thrash again. :nutkick:

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 11:11 AM
From strictly a riff perspective, they could be my favorite thrash band. They don't always dress their riffs up nicely with songwriting, but especially in the early days, they had some of the most fucked up, crazy thrash riffs ever.

And wtf, manks. No Sepultura either? Go buy Infernal Overkill and Beneath the Remains before you post on here like you know shit about thrash again. :nutkick:

I'm sorry, but that is probably the worst sounding album I've ever heard.

DethMaiden
07-07-2010, 11:12 AM

:fingers:

HELL STORMS
RUSH OVER THE EARTH
BESTIAL INVASION!

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Hahaha it's still a classic thrash album, but that shit sounds worse than the first few Testament albums :lol:

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Could not agree more. Great material, but it's unbearable mixing just doesn't go smoothly with me. Thrash Anthems is the perfect treatment that material always deserved.

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Could not agree more. Great material, but it's unbearable mixing just doesn't go smoothly with me. Thrash Anthems is the perfect treatment that material always deserved.

That drum intro to "Tormentor" is super loltastic. It sounds like those drum tracks you used to make with musical typing on Garage Band :lol:

Natrlhi
07-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Listen to Destruction. :nutkick:

And wtf, manks. No Sepultura either? Go buy Infernal Overkill and Beneath the Remains before you post on here like you know shit about thrash again. :nutkick:I'm sorry, but that is probably the worst sounding album I've ever heard.

Hahaha it's still a classic thrash album, but that shit sounds worse than the first few Testament albums :lol:

THAT IS WHY YOU SHOULD BE LISTENING TO RELEASE FROM AGONY, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!

EDIT: Invincible Force and Bestial Invasion are the shit, though. :D

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-07-2010, 11:34 AM
That drum intro to "Tormentor" is super loltastic. It sounds like those drum tracks you used to make with musical typing on Garage Band :lol:

SO true :lol:. Don't know how the hell they managed to pull that one off.

And Natty, I hate to say it, but Release From Agony still has pretty bad mixing...it wasn't until Schmier left when they started to get more polished, and that material is meh...so in the practical sense, it really started with All Hell Breaks Loose :snivel:

Natrlhi
07-07-2010, 11:40 AM
And Natty, I hate to say it, but Release From Agony still has pretty bad mixing...it wasn't until Schmier left when they started to get more polished, and that material is meh...so in the practical sense, it really started with All Hell Breaks Loose :snivel:I wouldn't know. I haven't listened to them since Release from Agony, since Cracked Brain signaled what I considered to be the end of an awesome thrash band's career. The new stuff doesn't have Schmeier, so to me it isn't Destruction. It might be good by some folks' standards, but it really doesn't interest me.

Seriously - Destruction's first three full-lengths are teh awesome, even though the production on the first two, at least, sucks balls by today's standards.

DethMaiden
07-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't know. I haven't listened to them since Release from Agony, since Cracked Brain signaled what I considered to be the end of an awesome thrash band's career. The new stuff doesn't have Schmeier, so to me it isn't Destruction. It might be good by some folks' standards, but it really doesn't interest me.

Seriously - Destruction's first three full-lengths are teh awesome, even though the production on the first two, at least, sucks balls by today's standards.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Schmier is on every album except Cracked Brain, and on Thrash Anthems, he does re-recordings of stuff from that disc. He was definitely in the band when I saw them live in 2006.

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Lol, Schmier's been back in the band since 1999. He missed the Cracked Brain and The Least Successful Human Cannonball albums and the Destruction and Them Not Me EPs. All are out of print apart from Cracked Brain.

The last six albums have had Schmier on, and they're all good, especially Thrash Anthems (re-recordings) and Inventor of Evil. And last year's The Curse of The Antichrist was easily the best live album released all year.

New live DVD of their special-guest-laden anniversary show came out this year. New album next year.

MPF
07-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Not enough Death Angel being discuessed in this thread!

mankvill
07-07-2010, 11:56 AM

Less Death Angel, more Dark Angel.

Natrlhi
07-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Lol, Schmier's been back in the band since 1999. He missed the Cracked Brain and The Least Successful Human Cannonball albums and the Destruction and Them Not Me EPs. All are out of print apart from Cracked Brain.

The last six albums have had Schmier on, and they're all good, especially Thrash Anthems (re-recordings) and Inventor of Evil. And last year's The Curse of The Antichrist was easily the best live album released all year.

New live DVD of their special-guest-laden anniversary show came out this year. New album next year.I was aware of this, actually, but it really doesn't change what I was trying to say. I fell out of love with Destruction on Cracked Brain, and just never returned to the fold. I do know that Schmeir has been back for some time now, but their newer stuff just doesn't interest me anymore. Again, I have admittedly had almost no exposure to it, but I can definitely tell you that I tried on D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N. for size, and I fucking hated it. It was the most disappointing album of the year for me, and this is coming from a guy who wanted to like them again really badly. It just sounds like a mockery of their 1980's awesomeness, in my not-so-humble opinion.

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 12:04 PM

Less Death Angel, more Dark Angel.

Both of these things are true.

There should also be more Heathen, Evildead, Exhorder and Forbidden.

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I tried on D.E.V.I.L.U.T.I.O.N. for size, and I fucking hated it. It was the most disappointing album of the year for me

It has become apparent to me that you suck ;)

Natrlhi
07-07-2010, 12:14 PM
It has become apparent to me that you suck ;):lol: I really tried, bro. I just hated it. Maybe I'll try it on again sometime, or maybe some of their other stuff from the last ten-to-fifteen years, but I don't know what else to say. The newer stuff definitely has some power to it, so maybe I'll end up liking it for what it is - I just think I was expecting some more of the progressive-sounding stuff from Release from Agony, and my expectations weren't met. Maybe that was the problem. Expectations have fucked me up before.

I mean, I basically lost interest in Kreator and Exodus in the same kind of way, so at least I'm consistent in my alleged insanity. ;)

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-07-2010, 12:19 PM
:lol: I really tried, bro. I just hated it. Maybe I'll try it on again sometime, or maybe some of their other stuff from the last ten-to-fifteen years, but I don't know what else to say. The newer stuff definitely has some power to it, so maybe I'll end up liking it for what it is - I just think I was expecting some more of the progressive-sounding stuff from Release from Agony, and my expectations weren't met. Maybe that was the problem. Expectations have fucked me up before.

I mean, I basically lost interest in Kreator and Exodus in the same kind of way, so at least I'm consistent in my alleged insanity. ;)

Don't listen to D.E.V.O.L.U.T.I.O.N., it's pretty weak, apart from the fucking awesome title track and one or two others. Listen to "The Antichrist", great thrashy album. Thrash Anthems is also up there. Inventor Of Evil also. Basically, just give it another shot ;)

Natrlhi
07-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Will do. I might be a lot of things, but I'd like to think close-minded isn't one of them. ;)

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 12:27 PM

GAH! :hmm:

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Listen to "The Antichrist", great thrashy album. Thrash Anthems is also up there. Inventor Of Evil also. Basically, just give it another shot ;)

Yep. All good.

To be honest, if you want to get yourself into the current Destruction groove, try the live album, The Curse of The Antichrist. Great mix of old and new, and stellar sound.

Natrlhi
07-07-2010, 12:40 PM
GAH! :hmm:

:lol: Well, I can't say I didn't expect that reaction. The latest Kreator release wasn't too bad - lyrically, it just sounds kinda cheesy at times, which is one of the things I remember not liking about Destuction's latest. I haven't heard the new Exodus yet, but your comments on it are part of why I plan on giving it a listen one day soon. I definitely miss Baloff's vocals and that Bonded by Blood classic sound, but Souza's vocals over the years have begun to sound like "true" Exodus to me. Then Dukes comes in, and I have another voice to get used to (I know, welcome to metal). Eh, I'll probably turn the corner with all three of these bands, I'll just need some time to give them all a fair listen. :fist:

elturtleboy
07-07-2010, 12:45 PM
for some strange reason the Gathering is my favorite Testament album.
The only testament album that sucked dick imo was the ritual.

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Yep. All good.

To be honest, if you want to get yourself into the current Destruction groove, try the live album, The Curse of The Antichrist. Great mix of old and new, and stellar sound.

I need to give that one a spin. I am not usually a fan of live albums, but I heard Mad Butcher off of this one and it really impressed me. Schmier live is a monster, easily one of the most recognizable thrash vocalists IMO.

And as for Exodus, I most definitely think whole-heartedly that Souza is the "voice" of Exodus. Perfect raspy voice with so much aggression, I loved it. It's a shame most of his material had lack luster mixing in comparison with Tempo-forwards material (when Holt got that ridiculously sexy signature tone of his set). As much as I love Dukes and I think he is doing more than a fine job with the mic, I hope Zetro joins Exodus again sometime in the near future.

That having been said, I have opened up 100% to Exhibit B. I now love it. It's on par with Atrocity Exhibition for me, if not a WEE bit higher.

Natrlhi
07-07-2010, 01:06 PM
I need to give that one a spin. I am not usually a fan of live albums, but I heard Mad Butcher off of this one and it really impressed me. Schmier live is a monster, easily one of the most recognizable thrash vocalists IMO.Live Without Sense is fucking awesome, too. Plus, it contains only songs which are Nat-approved, and nothing else. ;)

mastodon421
07-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Holy Shit if this is true this is amazing news.

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 01:55 PM

That's not strange. Mine too.

This isn't true though.

300%_Density
07-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Live Without Sense is fucking awesome, too. Plus, it contains only songs which are Nat-approved, and nothing else. ;)

LOL so I gotta ask what is it that makes a song Nat-Approved?

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 02:15 PM
LOL so I gotta ask what is it that makes a song Nat-Approved?

Anything off the first four discs or so. Go back a couple of pages ;)

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm pretty sure that Chuck Billy has said that The Gathering was his favorite Testament album. And The Ritual is awesome, so you sir can suck a dick. ;)

As much as I love Dukes and I think he is doing more than a fine job with the mic, I hope Zetro joins Exodus again sometime in the near future.

Don't get your hopes up. If I remeber correctly I was watching an interview with Gary (the one that andrew_metalhead did, I believe) where he said that Zetro had an interest in coming back after the one-off "Toxic Waltz" perfomance earlier this year, but Gary pretty much stated that Dukes is here to stay; and to be honest, I prefer it that way, mainly because I was watching some videos of Exodus on the Tempo tour, and Zetro seemed pretty lifeless on stage. I feel that Dukes is an excellent frontman and is truly a great fit for the band, and call me crazy, but I think he might even be my favorite Exodus vocalist.

larvtard
07-07-2010, 02:36 PM
I feel that Dukes is an excellent frontman and is truly a great fit for the band, and call me crazy, but I think he might even be my favorite Exodus vocalist.

And now I shall come out of the closet myself. I prefer Let There Be Blood to Bonded By Blood, just because of the vocals.

This is what my friend had to say about Baloff: "He sounds like he just started going through puberty." I concur.

JRA
07-07-2010, 02:47 PM
This is what my friend had to say about Baloff: "He sounds like he just started going through puberty." I concur.

FUCKUANDYOURFREINDBALOFFRULES!!!

Anyways, if the Anthrax thing turns out to be true...I'll be happy...I guess.

Truth be told, I'm kinda waiting for this reunion thing to implode so I can delete Antrax from iTunes to make room for Saxon/Immortal/High On Fire albums.

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah I'm one of those that just doesn't get the whole Paul Baloff thing. I know all of the thrash purists think that it's some sort of blasphemy to not like him, but he really was a shit singer. Aside from the persona and the presence, which I think is the main reason why is so revered by thrash fans to begin with, he was just a shitty, shitty vocalist.

JRA
07-07-2010, 02:52 PM
You could say Balloff was a terrible vocalist, but you could also say all the singers from thrash metal were terrible. Doesn't matter because they fit the sounds perfectly.

JLRedWing13
07-07-2010, 02:54 PM
And now I shall come out of the closet myself. I prefer Let There Be Blood to Bonded By Blood, just because of the vocals.

This thread is just filled with nonsense....

DethMaiden
07-07-2010, 02:55 PM
You could say Balloff was a terrible vocalist, but you could also say all the singers from thrash metal were terrible. Doesn't matter because they fit the sounds perfectly.

Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All beg to differ. Seriously, James sounds amazing on those two albums, and I won't pretend he sounded better on Kill 'em All because it was more raw or more thrash or more anything. He sounded like a child. Then he grew up and became the best vocalist in thrash.

JLRedWing13
07-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All beg to differ. Seriously, James sounds amazing on those two albums, and I won't pretend he sounded better on Kill 'em All because it was more raw or more thrash or more anything. He sounded like a child. Then he grew up and became the best vocalist in thrash.

This is true. :D

evildeadjedi
07-07-2010, 03:04 PM
I concur

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Chuck Billy, Russ Anderson and Bobby Elsworth have never sounded bad.

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 03:30 PM

No. Baloff didn't have an inch of talent. He was pure shit, plain and simple.

And yes, I do know that a lot of thrash vocals are just yelling and screaming, but most other vocalists actually do it well...

That being said, I don't utterly despise Baloff or anything, I just don't get why he is so goddamn praised. Maybe the death had something to do with it, but I just don't get it.

xStructualDefect
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM

comepletely agree.

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Shit, you might as well rename this "The Official Thrash Discussion Thread" and move it to General Chat.

larvtard
07-07-2010, 03:46 PM

Chuck Billy isn't that good either. He does some of the best screams in all of metal, though. Listen to "Formation of Damnation" (song)

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Chuck Billy isn't that good either.

:lol:

No.

Chuck is a great vocalist. He can do it all. Listen to True Believer, Return To Serenity and Demonic Refusal and tell me he doesn't have the full package for a metal singer. Hitting high notes isn't all there is to metal singing.

xStructualDefect
07-07-2010, 03:53 PM
btw can anyone name the best albums thrash has to offer? i've tried to get into thrash so many times but it didn't work. i've always loved the first 4 Metallica albums. but now i've really loving Testament's The Legacy and The New Order. i've listened to both albums a few times already since yesterday and it just gets better with each listen. so i think i need to give thrash another chance. i've listened to Bonded By Blood a bunch of times but i really couldn't get into it, although Exodus was very good and fun when i saw them live. i've also listened to Rust in Peace a few times. i liked it but i wasn't blown away. if i listen to it again a few more times it'll probably grow onto me. i've tried out Kreator, Sodom and Destruction a few times before but it didn't do much for me.

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 03:56 PM
btw can anyone name the best albums thrash has to offer? i've tried to get into thrash so many times but it didn't work. i've always loved the first 4 Metallica albums. but now i've really loving Testament's The Legacy and The New Order.

Given this, try Heathen, Forbidden, and more recently Evile, Angelus Apatrida and Korzus.

And the "Horrorscope" album by Overkill, of course.

xStructualDefect
07-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Given this, try Heathen, Forbidden, and more recently Evile, Angelus Apatrida and Korzus.

i've heard some of the new Heathen album, and from what i've heard i liked it a lot. will definitely give it another listen along with the others. thanks.

DethMaiden
07-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Hear Anthrax's Among the Living and Sepultura's Beneath the Remains. Apart from Metallica who you say you're already into, those are probably my favorite thrash records. Plenty of essential stuff from Slayer and Megadeth too, but I'm guessing you've already explored those.

xStructualDefect
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Hear Anthrax's Among the Living and Sepultura's Beneath the Remains. Apart from Metallica who you say you're already into, those are probably my favorite thrash records. Plenty of essential stuff from Slayer and Megadeth too, but I'm guessing you've already explored those.

will definitely give those albums a listen today. i've listened to early Slayer and Megadeth and i did like it, but it didn't blow me away. i'm gonna relisten to those also and i'll see if it grows on me.

ravenheart
07-07-2010, 04:11 PM

Can't see him liking the Sepultura one. Given that he couldn't get into Exodus, Destruction, Sodom and Kreator I'm assuming the harsher thrash vocals are not his thing, but the less-rough, if you want to put it that way, are working better for him.

I'd add Death Angel and Dark Angel to the list I think. Maybe Onslaught. Headhunter, seeing as Schmier is much more melodic on their stuff than he is in Destruction. Planar Evil, Tankard, Savage Messiah and Paradox might also work. Drone are quite good too.

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Don't get your hopes up. If I remeber correctly I was watching an interview with Gary (the one that andrew_metalhead did, I believe) where he said that Zetro had an interest in coming back after the one-off "Toxic Waltz" perfomance earlier this year, but Gary pretty much stated that Dukes is here to stay; and to be honest, I prefer it that way, mainly because I was watching some videos of Exodus on the Tempo tour, and Zetro seemed pretty lifeless on stage. I feel that Dukes is an excellent frontman and is truly a great fit for the band, and call me crazy, but I think he might even be my favorite Exodus vocalist.

I don't really mind, like I said it's more of wishful thinking, I don't hate Dukes at all. He's fantastic for Exodus now, and the material that they've been pulling with him have been some of my favorite. And I wouldn't call you crazy for liking him the most at all, I'd say that for....you know :lol:. You summed it up perfectly a couple of posts prior to this. I don't even need to say it.

And as for Chuck Billy, he is one of the best thrash vocalists. Whoever thinks he is remotely bad has to listen to nearly every Testament record released. There's just no arguing it.

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 04:40 PM
On the topic of essential thrash for xStructualDefect:

Slayer - Show No Mercy, Reign in Blood (waiting for mankvill to bitch about this)
Overkill - Feel the Fire, Ironbound
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster, Tempo of the Damned
Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos
Kreator - Enemy of God
Anthrax - Among the Living
Megadeth - Killing is My Business... and Business is Good, relisten to RIP

Those should be some good starting points.

mankvill
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM

Slayer - Show No Mercy, Reign in Blood (waiting for mankvill to bitch about this)

That's fine. Then he can discover their other, better albums. ;)

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 04:44 PM

u meen lyk dibolus in musika???

mankvill
07-07-2010, 04:51 PM

naw mang i mean liek undisputed attitude :party:

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 04:55 PM

o yeee i fogot abowt dat 1

brb rokin owt 2 fyv finga deth punchh

daimonos
07-07-2010, 05:12 PM

Overkill - Feel the Fire, Ironbound
Exodus - Fabulous Disaster, Tempo of the Damned
Heathen - The Evolution of Chaos
Kreator - Enemy of God
Anthrax - Among the Living
Megadeth - Killing is My Business... and Business is Good, relisten to RIP

Those should be some good starting points.

add Hell Awaits by Slayer to that, and replace Ironbound with The Years of Decay.

I haven't heard the Kreator or Heathen though.

JLRedWing13
07-07-2010, 05:54 PM
Kreator - Enemy of God

Needs at least one album from their glory days. I suggest Pleasure To Kill.

And Chuck Billy a bad vocalist? Oh my....

Sanitarium78
07-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Agreed. James gradually learned how to sing. He never even took lessions until they started writting for TBA. James even admits he can't sing at all. But his perofrmance on MOP and Justice are great.

Chuck Billy isn't that good either. He does some of the best screams in all of metal, though. Listen to "Formation of Damnation" (song)

Uh...What? Of all the vocalists from the glory days of thrash his voice is the one that's held up the best from what i've heard. When I saw Testament open for Megadeth back in March his voice was fantastic and still powerful. Not bad for a guy who's 48 years old and survived cancer that was near his heart for fucks sake. A lot of singers usually losing their vocal power by his age but he's still got it. Look at James Hetfield who's a few years younger. He lost that vocal power in his live performances awhile ago.

Also, I'd like to add Joey Belladonna and Bobby Ellsworth into the dicussion of best thrash metal vocalists. Neither I would consider among the greatest singers ever but both do their jobs well and fit their bands sound nicely.

makethemsuffer12
07-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Needs at least one album from their glory days. I suggest Pleasure To Kill.

And Chuck Billy a bad vocalist? Oh my....

Well the reason I didn't suggest any early Kreator is because I feel it wouldn't be a good first step into thrash. It personally took me a while to really enjoy listening to Pleasure to Kill, and to be honest I think it's a little overrated. For me personally my favorite era of Kreator is Violent Revolution and forward, with EOG being the highlight for me.

JLRedWing13
07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Well the reason I didn't suggest any early Kreator is because I feel it wouldn't be a good first step into thrash. It personally took me a while to really enjoy listening to Pleasure to Kill, and to be honest I think it's a little overrated. For me personally my favorite era of Kreator is Violent Revolution and forward, with EOG being the highlight for me.

I'd take any of Kreator's first five albums over a lot of Slayer's work, personally...but that's just me. There's a lot of great stuff in there regardless.

Crionics
07-07-2010, 07:42 PM

wat bout ur fav band dawg? jo kno, lamb of gawd?

On a serious note, this thread needs more Morbid Saint.

xStructualDefect
07-07-2010, 07:52 PM
thanks a lot for the suggestions. it's not like i'm oblivious to these albums or these bands, i've known about all these bands for years now, but i never got into any of it. i've tried thrash many times and most bands mentioned before. but i think it's time to give thrash another chance knowing that i've been really liking Testament and have been listening to them non stop this past day. and also because the past few times i listened to thrash i enjoyed it a lot more than the past times i listened to it. i'll give all those albums a listen when i get the chance.

Crionics
07-07-2010, 07:55 PM
thanks a lot for the suggestions. it's not like i'm oblivious to these albums or these bands, i've known about all these bands for years now, but i never got into any of it. i've tried thrash many times and most bands mentioned before. but i think it's time to give thrash another chance knowing that i've been really liking Testament and have been listening to them non stop this past day. and also because the past few times i listened to thrash i enjoyed it a lot more than the past times i listened to it. i'll give all those albums a listen when i get the chance.

Have you tried Slayer yet? ;)

ravenheart
07-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Also, I'd like to add Joey Belladonna and Bobby Ellsworth into the dicussion of best thrash metal vocalists. Neither I would consider among the greatest singers ever but both do their jobs well and fit their bands sound nicely.

Already dropped Bobby in a couple of pages back. Totally agree he's always sounded good.

And did everyone HEAR Joey do Heaven & Hell at the Sonisphere Bulgaria gig? If that's not singing, I don't know what is!

ravenheart
07-08-2010, 02:13 AM

Amen.

ravenheart
07-08-2010, 02:13 AM
One last point for now, all you missing Zetro should have paid attention last Summer when I told you all to get the Tenet album ;)

SerpentineVIVIVI
07-08-2010, 05:06 AM
One last point for now, all you missing Zetro should have paid attention last Summer when I told you all to get the Tenet album ;)

I don't remember anything about being told last summer, but I already did my Zetro follow-up some months ago and got the album. Needless to say I was very pleased :D

xStructualDefect
07-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Have you tried Slayer yet? ;)

haha of course, never a full-length though, just songs.

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 07:07 AM

No, and no. Like South of Heaven.

Crionics
07-08-2010, 07:15 AM
haha of course, never a full-length though, just songs.

If you want something Punkish, try Show No Mercy
Something Dark, try Hell Awaits
Something Aggressive, Reign in Blood (Hey Mank :leak:)
Something Sabbathy, South of Heaven
If you like nu metal, you might like God Hates Us All
And for something gay, try deeiblouis enn muusciiicass

makethemsuffer12
07-08-2010, 07:17 AM
No, and no. Like South of Heaven.

:hmm:

If you like nu metal, you might like God Hates Us All

Because anything that's downtuned and has a bit of groove constitutes as nu metal :rolleyes:

Crionics
07-08-2010, 07:23 AM

Because anything that's downtuned and has a bit of groove constitutes as nu metal :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm not sure if I'd call the album nu metal myself, but I was just saying, if you like that style maybe try out GHUA.

es156
07-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Shit, you might as well rename this "The Official Thrash Discussion Thread" and move it to General Chat.

Ha ha, I was actually considering this. If the OP doesn't object to it...

JRA
07-08-2010, 10:54 AM

As a matter of fucking fact, yes it does. Don't you fucking roll your eyes. Downtuning and groove are the twin cancers killing all of metal. The sooner we purge those two things from songwriting, the better off we will all be.

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
^ :rolleyes: Dude, sometimes you make it very hard to take you seriously.

Groove might be overused in some cases, but it is pure awesomeness in others (cases in point: Torche, Fang Island).

Downtuning - same thing. If it's the only tool in your toolbox as a band, then fuck you - but just because a band does it doesn't automatically make them lame.
Give me a fucking break.

EDIT: and another thing...downtuning has been used since the early days. Have you ever even heard Celtic Frost?!?

JRA
07-08-2010, 10:57 AM

The word "could" is your friend.;) I didn't say they were all bad, but by Rolling Stone Archie Fruitgum Company standards they are technically "bad."

:rolleyes: Sometimes you make it very hard to take you seriously.

Groove might be overused in some cases, but it is pure awesomeness in others (cases in point: Torche, Fang Island).

Downtuning - same thing. If it's the only tool in your toolbox as a band, then fuck you - but just because a band does it doesn't automatically make them lame. Give me a fucking break.

I would agree with the idea of "if its tastefully used, then yes it can work" if the metal commercial market hasn't been oversaturated to fuck with those things. Now it's gotten to the point where I don't want to hear any modern band that use those (exception: High On Fire).

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I would agree with the idea of "if its tastefully used, then yes it can work" if the metal commercial market hasn't been oversaturated to fuck with those things. Now it's gotten to the point where I don't want to hear any modern band that use those (exception: High On Fire).Way mo betta put. ;)

ravenheart
07-08-2010, 11:54 AM
As a matter of fucking fact, yes it does. Don't you fucking roll your eyes. Downtuning and groove are the twin cancers killing all of metal. The sooner we purge those two things from songwriting, the better off we will all be.

Groove is a trait of nu metal? Give me a break. Most of the rock, blues and early metal bands from the 1960s and 1970s would like a word with you.

Good groove saves a lot of otherwise boring songs.

ravenheart
07-08-2010, 11:56 AM
if you like that style maybe try out GHUA.

Yeah definitely, and if you like pop-punk, try something by Nile. They sound nothing alike either :D

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Yeah definitely, and if you like pop-punk, try something by Nile. They sound nothing alike either :D

:lol: Nice. :lol:

makethemsuffer12
07-08-2010, 12:10 PM

That reminds me, I saw a picture of the guitarist from Good Charolette with a Nile sticker on his guitar :lol:
I think it was in Guitar World or something.

I think it would also be a good idea to purge that stick out of your ass.

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I think it would also be a good idea to purge that stick out of your ass.

http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/images/msbrackenridge/2007/05/18/i_love_this_thread.jpg

TonyD
07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I would agree with the idea of "if its tastefully used, then yes it can work" if the metal commercial market hasn't been oversaturated to fuck with those things. Now it's gotten to the point where I don't want to hear any modern band that use those (exception: High On Fire).

:lol: Tasteful and High On Fire.

I agree, if you play HOF at 45 speed, the songs are still solid. It just sounds like Slayer.

JRA
07-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Groove is a trait of nu metal? Give me a break. Most of the rock, blues and early metal bands from the 1960s and 1970s would like a word with you.

Good groove saves a lot of otherwise boring songs.

Groove also wasn't restricted to the one hip-hop tempo with idiots going "people = shit" over and over in the 60's and 70's. Groove, rather than being a concept, has devolved to a very specific tempo and cadence.

Travis The Dragon
07-08-2010, 02:48 PM
PLEASE let this happen at the Minnesota show!!!!!

ravenheart
07-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Groove, rather than being a concept, has devolved to a very specific tempo and cadence.

In a very specific and small sub genre, perhaps. The best still do it properly.