Hollow Years
The Mirror
Lie
Wither
Panic Attack
As I Am
Pull Me Under/Metropolis

The Count Of Tuscany

An off date from the Maiden tour and just a fantastic show. The band was great and so was the crowd. The venue they played, the Town Ballroom, only fits 1200 and it was deffinitely packed. If it wasn't sold out it was damn sure close. They changed the order a bit from their other one off shows and we also got Wither:light:

It was very cool to see them play a stripped down show. The lighting was very basic, actually the lights were almost non-existant. It seemed to me they used what the venue had and that was it. No video screens of anything at all, just them playing the music and kicking ass. The crowd was great all show, singing along with everything and cheering after all of John's solos. James who can somtimes be inconsistant with his vocals live sounded excellent to me. There was no issues with his voice tonight that I could tell. The rest of the band was great as well.

The show started about 9:15 and was over around 11:30. So, it looks like DT is getting back to playing the longer sets instead of that 90 minute crap they did on prog nation last summer. James mentioned how they were touring with Maiden and then Mike started playing the opening drum line to RTTH. Mike said "we'll play it since you're not gonna hear them do it":D Then John played the riff to The Trooper for like 15 seconds and then stopped. I wonder if they're taking a jab at Maidens lack of classics in the set or if they were just fuckin around?

They really did put together and excellent well balanced set that everyone enjoyed. The band and the crowd had great energy throughout the whole show. I liked this performance so much that in my 18 years of going to rock/metal shows this is easily a top 10 show of all time for me.

Indestructible
07-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Great show. My number one concert

Maidenmagic
07-06-2010, 04:29 AM
It's incredible that these guys have the energy to do a headline show while supporting the biggest band on the planet. I hope they weren't jabbing Maiden. If they were, then they would have to be kicked off the tour.

PlaysWithKnives
07-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Sanitarium pretty much covered it. So all I have to say is Fucking fantastic show!

PlaysWithKnives
07-06-2010, 08:27 AM
It's incredible that these guys have the energy to do a headline show while supporting the biggest band on the planet. I hope they weren't jabbing Maiden. If they were, then they would have to be kicked off the tour.

Yeah it is amazing. As long and as intense as they play, your average band would take the night off between shows. I'm glad they didn't though. And I'm sure it was more in good fun than taking a jab at maiden. Even though Portnoy was right :D

Sanitarium78
07-06-2010, 09:30 AM

I don't think it's that incredible that they have the energy to play a headline set at all. They're only doing 50 mins opening for Maiden so they have the spare energy. What I find more incredible about is that Maiden is up in Canada right now and DT makes a special trip to come back over to the US to play a show. They could've easily just played somewhere in Toronto or Ottawa area or whatever but they came to lowly old Buffalo, NY instead:D They probably did that because Maiden continuosly avoids this area. Not counting 2005s Ozzfest the last time Maiden played here on their own was in 2000:mad: So i'd like to thank Dream Theater for finding our city and it's fans worhty enough to play in front of despite the fact that Maiden does not.

I forgot to mention in my review that I was in the second row behind the rail between James and John and while i've seen them before I was never that close to them. To see John do his solos on all the songs that up close was an amazing experience. I'm not a musician at all but I can tell by watching him just how awesome what he does on guitar is. My respect has gone up for him even more now.

I'm not sure if DT would get kicked off the tour just because they were taking a jab at Maiden. I mean what are the odds that what they said is really gonna get back to them? Unless Steve Harris decides to read my review here or one on the DT board, which I doubt will happen:lol:

idrinkwine732
07-06-2010, 09:40 AM
It very well could get back to them, but they aren't getting kicked off the tour for that. I think they were just jesting at the lack of classics on the set, nothing more.

Sanitarium78
07-06-2010, 05:01 PM
It very well could get back to them, but they aren't getting kicked off the tour for that. I think they were just jesting at the lack of classics on the set, nothing more.

That's all I think it was to. But the guys in Dream Theater did grow up with the old stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't like the lack of that in Maiden's set.

After seeing this show I really hope that what i've heard about them going back to the "evening with" format happens after the next album comes out. That's what their music is made for live if you ask me.

xStructualDefect
07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
i'm not a big Dream Theater fan but i am really digging that setlist. i'd go pay to see that.

JLRedWing13
07-06-2010, 05:20 PM
After seeing this show I really hope that what i've heard about them going back to the "evening with" format happens after the next album comes out. That's what their music is made for live if you ask me.

I agree. "Evening with" performances are special and incredibly effective with bands like this and Rush. There's so much music to digest, a standard set wouldn't do it.

Sadly I've never been to one of them though... :bouville:

Sanitarium78
07-06-2010, 05:27 PM
i'm not a big Dream Theater fan but i am really digging that setlist. i'd go pay to see that.

Yes, it was an excellent set. Except for 6DOIT and their first album they covered everything. I like all their stuff but I got into them in the 90s so during Home, Mirror/Lie, Hollow Years and PMU/Metropolis I was signing at the top of my voice. During Home was just about the loudest i've ever sang along to a song live.

Indestructible
07-06-2010, 07:36 PM
The opening band(Zo2) talked to much. If anyone at the show remembered there was an opener. Its not that they talked to the crowd its that they said really stupid things.

leglessmoof
07-07-2010, 05:39 AM
What I find more incredible about is that Maiden is up in Canada right now and DT makes a special trip to come back over to the US to play a show. They could've easily just played somewhere in Toronto or Ottawa area or whatever but they came to lowly old Buffalo, NY instead:D They probably did that because Maiden continuosly avoids this area.
Actually, the opening band is usually contractually prohibited from playing a headlining show within so many miles of any city on the tour. Since Iron Maiden is playing in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City, I'm not sure where DT could have played a headlining show in Canada even if they wanted to. Buffalo was probably the closest and/or largest major city that was far enough away from any of the tour stops AND fit well within the tour routing.

Sanitarium78
07-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Actually, the opening band is usually contractually prohibited from playing a headlining show within so many miles of any city on the tour. Since Iron Maiden is playing in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Quebec City, I'm not sure where DT could have played a headlining show in Canada even if they wanted to. Buffalo was probably the closest and/or largest major city that was far enough away from any of the tour stops AND fit well within the tour routing.

That's right I read about something like that years ago. I completely forgot about it until you mentioned it. That could very well be the case here. But the main point I was trying to make is that Dream Theater came here and played while Maiden didn't. In fact they've played this area 3 times in the last 4 years while Maiden has played here in that time a grand total of zero times.