PDA

View Full Version : Getting members of the fairer sex into Metal

youngandaspiring
07-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Anyone ever tried it? I tried it once, failed miserably. All the guys are too ugly, music is too loud, overly dramatic/stupid lyrics, no hook were criticisms levelled at the songs.

Any success stories would be interesting to hear.

ravenheart
07-04-2010, 09:55 AM
Haven't even tried. There's no point. Everyone already has their opinion of metal (usually based on hearing one band and deciding it's "all screaming" or something) and they'll only change it by themselves. I don't try to get guys into metal either.

All I do is try to introduce people who are already open to metal, to new bands so they're not just listening to Metallica and Iron Maiden all day long.

DethMaiden
07-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I have a few female friends who were already into metal when I met them. I don't really feel the need to "try" to make anyone like anything, though. What you like is your business and I'm more than capable of understanding that metal is not for everyone, male or female.

Oh, and my mom has Opeth, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, and Clutch songs on her iPod. :dorky:

Wizzbang11
07-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I dont have any real interest getting people into metal who don't already like heavy music.
There are a few chicks I met who like metal, most of it is shit though. The only women with good taste in metal who I have spoken with I have encountered via the internet.

daimonos
07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
I always share the "lesser-extreme" stuff with my parents, and my mom actually likes a good bit of it, wierdly enough.

evildeadjedi
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I only have done it when they wanted to hear some of the music. The result has been very mixed. :lol:

mastodon421
07-04-2010, 01:02 PM
I don't shove metal down anyones throats if they are not fans but If a girl asks me to play some I will. I have converted a couple and a few have been horrified:D

b_halperin
07-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Does blasting goatwhore in between classes and pissing people off at school count?

I got into metal mostly through my friend, and I have gotten a few people into it. But like others have said, I'm only going to try to convert them to metal if they are interested in it to start with.

xStructualDefect
07-04-2010, 02:06 PM
i've gotten MANY guy friends into metal. i would wear tour shirts and band tees a lot in high school so everyone knew i listened metal. occasionally people would ask me to play them stuff and they would like it. i'm the reason almost all my friends go to shows. for example, i've convinced about more than 10 of my friends to go to Mayhem Fest with me. most of them aren't that into metal but they want to experience a metal festival because they've liked what i've showed them, or they just want to go. last year i convinced 5 friends to go to Summer Slaughter, 2 out of 5 friends knew some of the bands while the other 3 had never really listened to any bands on the lineup. they all had a lot of fun and even said they're up for Summer Slaughter again this year.

i don't shove metal down anyone's throats though. like DethMaiden said metal really isn't for everyone.

but yeah as for female friends, i don't think any of my female friends like metal. most of them rock or music you can dance to.

evildeadjedi
07-04-2010, 02:26 PM
I have turned many of my male friends into metalheads. :D One was a bible thumping Jars of Clay fan, :eyes: now he listens to death, black, traditional, thrash and punk. :rocker: I never forced him to convert, he was just no longer sheltered musically. :lol: Another friend of mine loved Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Slipknot. :barf: He now likes Clutch, LOG, Slayer, KSE, Death, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Gojira to name a few. :rocker: I have turned many people onto Clutch. :blaze: :rocker:

xStructualDefect
07-04-2010, 02:34 PM
i think the bands i got most friends into are Children of Bodom, In Flames (primarily pre-RtR), and Kalmah. a lot of my friends dig Kalmah because they say it's catchy, heavy as fuck, and very melodic all at the same time. anyone who likes Kalmah will probably agree they're one of, if not, the best melodic death metal band out there.

evildeadjedi
07-04-2010, 02:42 PM
^Kalmah does have some seriously catchy stuff and have not turned into In-Flames.

xStructualDefect
07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
and i've also gotten a lot of friends into Korn, but i'm sure most people on this board don't really care about them :lol:

mankvill
07-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Just posting ITT before it turns into another "i am not a closet socially retarded "metalhead" because i can dance with girls" etc. thread.

xStructualDefect
07-04-2010, 03:07 PM
wut :lol:

ravenheart
07-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Just posting ITT before it turns into another "i am not a closet socially retarded "metalhead" because i can dance with girls" etc. thread.

:lol: He's not wrong.

SomewhereInTime72
07-04-2010, 04:42 PM
most girls i know only listen to music with videos and only enjoy it if the people in the videos are attractive

you know. the important parts about music.

Div
07-04-2010, 06:45 PM
as ravenheart said, "There's no point."

girls dont wanna listen to metal, they want to listen to usher and jay z and stuff with sexy beats that you can dance to. sure theres the occasional fluke, but 95% of the time girls are just going to hate it if you start playing Dissection.

The Green and Black
07-08-2010, 08:03 AM
girls are just going to hate it if you start playing Dissection.

:lol: This made me laugh, because the first time I heard Dissection, I was hooked and it was my gateway to black metal and more extreme stuff. Storm of the Light's Bane I consider a life changing album!

Derelict
07-08-2010, 08:07 AM
I started my girlfriend on Opeth, Clutch, and Katatonia, now she goes to almost all of the shows with me, and can at least tolerate everything I listen to.

powerslave_85
07-08-2010, 08:10 AM
I've never tried to "convert" anyone to metal, regardless of gender. I don't really have metalhead friends anymore, anyways.

rjturtle9
07-08-2010, 08:14 AM
My girlfriend listens to a lot of different kinds of metal and hard rock. Here favorite band is Led Zeppelin and her favorite metal band is Korn. She's not a metalhead or anything, but she listens to the stuff, which is great.

I took my external hardrive to her house and gave her some music to listen too. She really likes Maiden now, and even went to the show. I'm also getting her into Skeletonwitch, Toxic Holocaust, Slayer, Hammerfall, and others. hopefully I can convert her to the dark side sooner or later :666:

The Green and Black
07-08-2010, 08:14 AM
My advice - don't try to convert girls to metal, instead date or hangout with girls already into metal to fill that void. I respect a girl more for listening to top 40, dance music or rap because they like it, rather than they listen to metal because their husband, brother, boyfriend does.

Edit: this can go for guys or girls, honestly. I don't covert people to metal because I rather they like what they like than be a half assed metalhead. In any case, all my friends are into metal, I was referring more to co workers, I guess, since they are the only people I have to deal with not into metal.

powerslave_85
07-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I respect a girl more for listening to top 40, dance music or rap because they like it, rather than they listen to metal because their husband, brother, boyfriend does.Good point. If someone's passionate about what they listen to, I don't really care what it is. Unless it's Nickleback. Fuck that shit.

rjturtle9
07-08-2010, 08:33 AM
Good point. If someone's passionate about what they listen to, I don't really care what it is. Unless it's Nickleback. Fuck that shit.

:lol:

larvtard
07-08-2010, 08:39 AM
I converted one of my best friends to metal, but now he tries to convert EVERYONE to it. The people who have no business listening to it.

Furthermore, he tries to convert deathcore kids to "real" metal... He doesn't understand the extent of the crime he is committing :flame:

powerslave_85
07-08-2010, 08:52 AM
If I were on a date with a girl and she said her favorite band was Nickleback, there's a 95% chance I would get up and walk out. Or at least fake an emergency/my own death.

Maiden33
07-08-2010, 08:55 AM
If I were on a date with a girl and she said her favorite band was Nickleback, there's a 95% chance I would get up and walk out. Or at least fake an emergency/my own death.

My standard has always been: I don't care what you listen to, as long as you accept the fact that I love what I love and that's not going to change. To be fair, it's not really a problem, because I hardly ever am interested in girls (and girls are hardly ever interested in me) if they don't at least generally like rock music. :D

The Green and Black
07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
I have no interest on interacting with people not into metal, I have said this before and a few of you had a problem with it, but honestly, why bother. For me it's about quality, not quantity with friends, so sure I could talk about non metal things, with non metal people, I am perfectly capable of doing that, but I can also discuss those same non metal things with my metal friends, so why bother faking it with others. :D

rjturtle9
07-08-2010, 10:23 AM

:lol:X2

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I have no interest on interacting with people not into metal, I have said this before and a few of you had a problem with it, but honestly, why bother. For me it's about quality, not quantity with friends, so sure I could talk about non metal things, with non metal people, I am perfectly capable of doing that, but I can also discuss those same non metal things with my metal friends, so why bother faking it with others. :D
While I'll admit that I would love it if most if not all of my friends were as into metal as I am, or even if they listened to some of the same sub-genres I do and found them interesting, I have to say that this extreme point of view is almost disturbing for me to hear (well...read, to be accurate). Metal - or music in general, for that matter, is a very big deal to me, but it certainly isn't the only thing I think about in a given day. That would be almost unhealthy, I think. I keep friends who are loyal, helpful, interesting and who have similar values as I do - not just with regards to music but with regards to life. Those are the folks I want around me - the ones I can count on when the chips are down...regardless of what they listen to.

Coming at this from a different angle...I like a whole lot more than just metal, so for me to only have friends who are into metal would be just ridiculous on that level as well. I love that I have a few friends who are into electronic music, or industrial or grunge or alternative / progressive, or edgy-but-not-necessarily-pure-metal, or whatever. My tastes are not limited to just metal, so why should my friends' be?

TL;DR: Compromising is not necessarily selling out.

--------------------------

Back on the point of this thread, it made me laugh when I thought about the topic with regards to my wife. She really doesn't like metal all that much, and she rolls her eyes at a lot of what I listen to - but it's all good, because I know she doesn't take it all that seriously, and she understands that it's important to me, so she lets it slide. Plus, there are a few random things she does like, such as some Metallica.

Because of this, I constantly find myself trying to pick out things that she "just might like", and playing them for her in the car or wherever, and surprisingly there are some things she does dig now and then. Usually it's something more groove-oriented like post-rock or the less heavy songs by bands like Isis or whatever. It's the real shockers that make me smile sometimes, though.

One time, she borrowed my mp3 player to go to the health club, and it was set to play Behemoth. She came back and told me that that music wasn't too bad, and that it made her want to walk faster on the treadmill. I had to laugh. I tried her out on some Vader and Nile right after that, and she wasn't having it. Oh well, ya can't blame a brother for trying to strike while the iron's hot! :metal:

At least we'll always have Depeche Mode, U2, Tori Amos, The Cure, Pixies, Muse, Ministry (older), Front 242, Skinny Puppy, Beastie Boys, Soul Coughing, Collective Soul and most alternative / progressive, grunge and electronica - which ain't too bad at all.

TL;DR: My wife has many similar musical tastes as I do, but metal generally isn't one of them. She does have "metal moments", though. ;)

Div
07-08-2010, 10:38 AM
While I'll admit that I would love it if most if not all of my friends were as into metal as I am, or even if they listened to some of the same sub-genres I do and found them interesting, I have to say that this extreme point of view is almost disturbing for me to hear (well...read, to be accurate). Metal - or music in general, for that matter, is a very big deal to me, but it certainly isn't the only thing I think about in a given day. That would be almost unhealthy, I think. I keep friends who are loyal, helpful, interesting and who have similar values as I do - not just with regards to music but with regards to life. Those are the folks I want around me - the ones I can count on when the chips are down...regardless of what they listen to.

Coming at this from a different angle...I like a whole lot more than just metal, so for me to only have friends who are into metal would be just ridiculous on that level as well. I love that I have a few friends who are into electronic music, or industrial or grunge or alternative / progressive, or edgy-but-not-necessarily-pure-metal, or whatever. My tastes are not limited to just metal, so why should my friends' be?

TL;DR: Compromising is not necessarily selling out.

--------------------------

Back on the point of this thread, it made me laugh when I thought about the topic with regards to my wife. She really doesn't like metal all that much, and she rolls her eyes at a lot of what I listen to - but it's all good, because I know she doesn't take it all that seriously, and she understands that it's important to me, so she lets it slide. Plus, there are a few random things she does like, such as some Metallica.

Because of this, I constantly find myself trying to pick out things that she "just might like", and playing them for her in the car or wherever, and surprisingly there are some things she does dig now and then. Usually it's something more groove-oriented like post-rock or the less heavy songs by bands like Isis or whatever. It's the real shockers that make me smile sometimes, though.

One time, she borrowed my mp3 player to go to the health club, and it was set to play Behemoth. She came back and told me that that music wasn't too bad, and that it made her want to walk faster on the treadmill. I had to laugh. I tried her out on some Vader and Nile right after that, and she wasn't having it. Oh well, ya can't blame a brother for trying to strike while the iron's hot! :metal:

At least we'll always have Depeche Mode, U2, Tori Amos, The Cure, Pixies, Muse, Ministry (older), Front 242, Skinny Puppy, Beastie Boys, Soul Coughing, Collective Soul and most alternative / progressive, grunge and electronica - which ain't too bad at all.

TL;DR: My wife has many similar musical tastes as I do, but metal generally isn't one of them. She does have "metal moments", though. ;)

:barf:

seriously dude, wtf i jus- :barf:

Div
07-08-2010, 10:40 AM
:lol: This made me laugh, because the first time I heard Dissection, I was hooked and it was my gateway to black metal and more extreme stuff. Storm of the Light's Bane I consider a life changing album!

well like i said, 95% of the time that doesn't happen ;)
guess youre just special

powerslave_85
07-08-2010, 10:44 AM
At least we'll always have...Pixies...Beastie Boys:metal: :metal:

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 10:44 AM

seriously dude, wtf i jus- :barf:

Care to be more specific?

EDIT: I looked back and saw what you highlighted - so now I get it (next time, maybe you just delete everything but the part you were commenting about, maybe? ;)). Hey, what can I say? I have my reasons for liking them, and I'm not changing my opinion any time soon. They are a huge part of my musical history, and a very important one. So I guess that's all I have to say about that (Forrest Gump).

EDIT2: Fun Fact about The Nat: Both of my sons were conceived on the night of U2 concerts. Literally. Not joking.

TonyD
07-08-2010, 10:52 AM
So I guess that's all I have to say about that (Forrest Gump).

:D

I can't stand U2 but I don't really give a damn who listens to them, or just about anything else really. There are a few exceptions... ICP, Nickleback, etc.

powerslave_85
07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
The awesomeness of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" aside, U2 can suck my left one.

Derelict
07-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Nat, you just made me think of it, I had meant to tell you that I was in an all Depeche Mode Bar, in of all places, Estonia on my vacation. I have a few pictures.

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Nat, you just made me think of it, I had meant to tell you that I was in an all Depeche Mode Bar, in of all places, Estonia on my vacation. I have a few pictures.
Right on. DM is huge all over Europe. Post those puppies!

evildeadjedi
07-08-2010, 11:02 AM

I don't agree since most of the time my friends don't like the same music I like (I have went to plenty of shows alone because no one from my hometown listens to that music). Music has never been a deciding factor for me when choosing a friend, if so I would have no friends.

Derelict
07-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Right on. DM is huge all over Europe. Post those puppies!

It's on my home computer, I'll start a different thread in this section for them when I get home.

Div
07-08-2010, 01:01 PM
EDIT2: Fnn Fact about The Nat: Both of my sons were conceived on the night of U2 concerts. Literally. Not joking.

show was so boring you had to go have sex in the portajohn huh? dont blame you

The Green and Black
07-08-2010, 01:03 PM

While I'll admit that I would love it if most if not all of my friends were as into metal as I am, or even if they listened to some of the same sub-genres I do and found them interesting, I have to say that this extreme point of view is almost disturbing for me to hear (well...read, to be accurate). Metal - or music in general, for that matter, is a very big deal to me, but it certainly isn't the only thing I think about in a given day.

Did you only read half of what I said. My friends talk about more than just metal, and we all have other interests of course, and of course we talk about different things. But when it comes down to it, if I'm going to talk about non metal things, I rather them be with metal people. I'm well versed in other areas, but there are only so many hours in the day, and I would rather give that time to the people who matter most to me, those people all happen to love metal, so I have no need for outsiders. I have little in common with the average generic human. ;)

Div
07-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I have little in common with the average generic human. ;)

i used to think that way, but then i got sick of being cynical

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 01:13 PM
show was so boring you had to go have sex in the portajohn huh? dont blame you:lol: Fucker. :finger:

Did you only read half of what I said. My friends talk about more than just metal, and we all have other interests of course, and of course we talk about different things. But when it comes down to it, if I'm going to talk about non metal things, I rather them be with metal people. I'm well versed in other areas, but there are only so many hours in the day, and I would rather give that time to the people who matter most to me, those people all happen to love metal, so I have no need for outsiders. I have little in common with the average generic human. ;)Yeah, I caught the part you highlighted after I typed my response, so fair enough I guess. However, it isn't the first time you posted a "fuck everyone and everything that isn't 100% metal" type of message, though, and I just have a really hard time with that mentality. I have more metal in my pinky finger than most metalheads I've met have in their whole body, but I don't have to run around wearing it all over my body just to prove it to anyone. I almost guarantee you'd label me a "poser" if you met me on the street, based on comments I've read from you, but little would you know who I really am.

Metal is who you are and what you listen to, not what you wear or look like, or who you choose to associate with, that's all I'm saying.

The Green and Black
07-08-2010, 01:14 PM

:lol: Hardly, it's more about priorities, really.

Natrlhi
07-08-2010, 01:18 PM
i used to think that way, but then i got sick of being cynicalYou hit the nail on the head. So many metalheads out there are just so damned cynical it makes me sick (notice I'm not saying "all", just "many"). Sometimes I don't even want to be associated with the metal crowd because of it. And sorry, G&B, but when I see it left and right every day and then I read a bunch of posts on your part that sure point in that direction, I just make the mental connection that it must be true in your case, too. Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I've read a lot of evidence to the contrary from you, so I don't feel too bad about it if I'm incorrect.

The Green and Black
07-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Metal is who you are and what you listen to, not what you wear or look like, or who you choose to associate with, that's all I'm saying.

While I do get on my soapbox about the metal look, and how image is really important, I did not mention that at all in this thread (I don't think). I was merely being a snob and stating that given the chance to discuss a random topic, I'd rather do it with a metal head than a non metal head.

And as far as me calling you a poser if I met you on the street, well, if you could hold your own in a discussion of rare metal bands, and know your shit, I would not call you poser at all. But if there was someone with the same metal knowledge as you, but had a metal image, then I would probably think they were cooler than you. :lol:

Image is important to me, but it's not necessarily everything, or the only thing to deem a person acceptable in my book. ;)

xStructualDefect
07-08-2010, 01:23 PM
You hit the nail on the head. So many metalheads out there are just so damned cynical it makes me sick (notice I'm not saying "all", just "many"). Sometimes I don't even want to be associated with the metal crowd because of it. And sorry, G&B, but when I see it left and right every day and then I read a bunch of posts on your part that sure point in that direction, I just make the mental connection that it must be true in your case, too. Sorry if I'm mistaken, but I've read a lot of evidence to the contrary from you, so I don't feel too bad about it if I'm incorrect.

agreed. i used to be somewhat cynical in high school now that i think of it, then i realized it was stupid.

Fires Of Sedition
07-08-2010, 01:34 PM
i think the bands i got most friends into are Children of Bodom, In Flames (primarily pre-RtR), and Kalmah. a lot of my friends dig Kalmah because they say it's catchy, heavy as fuck, and very melodic all at the same time. anyone who likes Kalmah will probably agree they're one of, if not, the best melodic death metal band out there.

I <3 Kalmah so much. When I make my millions I'm going to Europe to road trip to all their shows.

ChildrenofSodom
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Wow, you guys must really like metal.

I personally think that people who 'dress' overly metal and only talk to other metalheads and only talk about metal are putting themselves into the box of the metalhead stereotype. I don't even know why you would THINK about excluding non-metalheads from your friends' circle or try to force your friends to like metal. What kind of asshole person are you that music (metal in particular) is a major deciding factor in your daily interactions with people. Music is so inconsequential (in my opinion) that not talking to or dating someone because they dont like metal is a moronic thing to do.

Looking back on my first year of college, I didn't have a single friend that liked metal. One guy liked Amon Amarth and Nile (only those two bands), but we never talked about it or went to shows. I stopped dressing 'like a metalhead' and cut my hair, so that I looked "normal". I met tons of people who I could connect with based on personality, beer, movies, sports, video games, politics, religion, art, other kinds of music, academic interests, whatever. There are so many things in life that you can enjoy with other people, I dont understand why "metalhead" has to be a box that you put yourself into. Stringent adherence to a subculture is pretentious and it fractures society as a whole more than we already are. Get over yourselves and play nice.

xStructualDefect
07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Wow, you guys must really like metal.

I personally think that people who 'dress' overly metal and only talk to other metalheads and only talk about metal are putting themselves into the box of the metalhead stereotype. I don't even know why you would THINK about excluding non-metalheads from your friends' circle or try to force your friends to like metal. What kind of asshole person are you that music (metal in particular) is a major deciding factor in your daily interactions with people. Music is so inconsequential (in my opinion) that not talking to or dating someone because they dont like metal is a moronic thing to do.

Looking back on my first year of college, I didn't have a single friend that liked metal. One guy liked Amon Amarth and Nile (only those two bands), but we never talked about it or went to shows. I stopped dressing 'like a metalhead' and cut my hair, so that I looked "normal". I met tons of people who I could connect with based on personality, beer, movies, sports, video games, politics, religion, art, other kinds of music, academic interests, whatever. There are so many things in life that you can enjoy with other people, I dont understand why "metalhead" has to be a box that you put yourself into. Stringent adherence to a subculture is pretentious and it fractures society as a whole more than we already are. Get over yourselves and play nice.

:party: :agree: couldn't have said this better myself.

and i'm not talking about anyone in general, but for those metalheads who could only talk about metal with other people, should find some other interests and hobbies.

Div
07-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Image is important to me

image being important to a girl? well, no shit. guess you have alot more in common with the average human than you think ;)

and before you get a chance to reply to that...

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc172/480sparky/Threads/thread_eject.jpg

powerslave_85
07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
image being important to a girl? well, no shit.:tp:

The Green and Black
07-08-2010, 03:18 PM
I personally think that people who 'dress' overly metal and only talk to other metalheads and only talk about metal are putting themselves into the box of the metalhead stereotype.

:party: :agree: couldn't have said this better myself.

and i'm not talking about anyone in general, but for those metalheads who could only talk about metal with other people, should find some other interests and hobbies.

:lol: at both of you. No one said anything about only talking about metal with others who dress overly metal. You both have a major chip on your shoulder about metalheads, I find it somewhat amusing that you get so worked up over it all.

And to Div who claims to not be reading this, a METAL image is important to me. I got tired of typing the word, but will be sure to use it as often as possible from now on.

Metal is my new favorite adjective. (sometimes noun)

Trying to put some METAL, in metalsetlists
Yours fondly in METAL spirit with a METAL heart,
The METAL Green and Black METAL

METAL!!!

xStructualDefect
07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
i never said you did that, but i'm saying there's a lot of metalheads who can only primarily talk about metal with others and nothing else. there's a lot of metalheads like that, at least the ones i've come across.

treghet
07-08-2010, 03:43 PM
there's a lot of metalheads who can only primarily talk about metal with others and nothing else.

While that is true, it usually doesn't bother me (probably because I like metal). I just see it as someone who is very passionate. If they don't have ANY other interests though, then there could be a big problem.

mankvill
07-08-2010, 04:01 PM

just sayin

xStructualDefect
07-08-2010, 04:29 PM
just sayin

i ONCE said dancing with girls is fun and i got flamed for that for some pathetic reason so now are you gonna shove that in my face in every thread you see me post in? all i said is that it's good to have other interests and hobbies other than things relating metal. take the advice.

mankvill
07-08-2010, 04:31 PM
i ONCE said dancing with girls is fun and i got flamed for that for some pathetic reason so now are you gonna shove that in my face in every thread you see me post in? all i said is that it's good to have other interests and hobbies other than things relating metal. take the advice.

damn ho calm down, just saying it in general.

xStructualDefect
07-08-2010, 04:33 PM
damn ho calm down, just saying it in general.

:lol: alright then but just sayin' i never mentioned it again after that one thread months ago.

DethMaiden
07-08-2010, 04:50 PM
just sayin

:lol: So true.

But also, G&B, what the fuck? A number of my friends are into metal, but it's not on the qualifying exam.

The Green and Black
07-08-2010, 05:10 PM
But also, G&B, what the fuck? A number of my friends are into metal, but it's not on the qualifying exam.

Why does the fact that all my friends are into METAL seem to strike a bit of a chord here, on a METAL forum no less. :confused:

If it makes any of you feel better, some of my METAL friends are clueless about Power Metal and don't care for Savatage ballads, yet I am still friends with them. :D

ravenheart
07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
If I have a friend who's into metal it's a coincidence. I don't go out of my way to make metal friends. Most of my friends don't like metal at all. That's fine, we just talk football or movies or whatever. Metal sometimes, because they're my friends so are interested in what I'm up to with my site etc., but if we don't talk metal, I'm fine with that.

Obviously then when I'm with my friends who are into metal then we talk metal, amongst other things, and that's always fun too.

But it just doesn't bother me. Hence always going to gigs on my own. When I have a friend who wants to see the same band, great, lets go rock. But if not, fine, I'm still seeing them and fuck your shitty tastes ;)

ravenheart
07-08-2010, 05:22 PM
I have little in common with the average generic human. ;)

Oh, this, all day long.

Fucking people... :hmm:

ravenheart
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM

Cynicism is no more or less than most people deserve. Seriously, I don't need people to be like me. But I do need them not to be flock-following fuckwits. When they stop doing that, I'll stop being cynical.

The positive of such a dour attitude is you appreciate how brilliant the ones who can think independently of the hive-mind are a whole lot more, and I value that.

Div
07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Cynicism is no more or less than most people deserve. Seriously, I don't need people to be like me. But I do need them not to be flock-following fuckwits. When they stop doing that, I'll stop being cynical.

The positive of such a dour attitude is you appreciate how brilliant the ones who can think independently of the hive-mind are a whole lot more, and I value that.

k

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/d/dd/Gothfreak.jpg

Crionics
07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I have no metal friends >.<

daimonos
07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
I have no metal friends >.<

Well it's nice to know that my school isn't the only one without any metal heads...

I don't really have any metal friends. I wish I did, though, because music and metal is so important to me, and it's wierd having to keep all that to myself (honestly I think that's why I'm a member here...). It's even worse because the friends that I do have, can hardly tolerate metal, and I get shit for it, but I stopped caring about getting shit for what I listened to whenever I was about 12 :lol:. It's just wierd because I have such an intense love for it, but no one to appreciate it with :(

But my view of people doesn't change based on what kind of music they listen to, I'd rather judge someone for who they are? :cool:

SomewhereInTime72
07-08-2010, 07:52 PM
I would rather just meet people that aren't passionate about music at all, so that I don't feel disgusted once I find out what they like. ;)

ravenheart
07-09-2010, 02:01 AM
I would rather just meet people that aren't passionate about music at all, so that I don't feel disgusted once I find out what they like. ;)

Wizzbang11
07-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I stopped dressing 'like a metalhead' and cut my hair, so that I looked "normal". I met tons of people who I could connect with based on personality, beer, movies, sports, video games, politics, religion, art, other kinds of music, academic interests, whatever.

Goddammit.

Also, if I had to alter my appearance to be able to connect with certain people, I don't think I'd ever want to be around them.

DethMaiden
07-10-2010, 06:54 AM
In fairness to the teary-eyed true metallers who can't comprehend hanging out with non-metalheads, I refuse to hang out with anyone who openly makes negative comments about metal or will protest if I put some on in the car, because that shit just pisses me off too much.

Crionics
07-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Well it's nice to know that my school isn't the only one without any metal heads...
I don't really have any metal friends. I wish I did, though, because music and metal is so important to me, and it's wierd having to keep all that to myself (honestly I think that's why I'm a member here...). It's even worse because the friends that I do have, can hardly tolerate metal, and I get shit for it, but I stopped caring about getting shit for what I listened to whenever I was about 12 :lol:. It's just wierd because I have such an intense love for it, but no one to appreciate it with :(

But my view of people doesn't change based on what kind of music they listen to, I'd rather judge someone for who they are? :cool:

What sucks is that one of our rival schools has a few metalheads that I can talk to occasionaly on Facebook and maybe see at a show, but I can't really call them "friends" because the rival school and the people that live around there are about 30 mins away from me and I can pretty much never see them. And to make it worse, my school has a SHITLOAD of (and I hate to throw out this word, but I have to here) "scene kids", it's like, ugh :mad:.

ravenheart
07-10-2010, 07:56 AM
but I can't really call them "friends" because the rival school and the people that live around there are about 30 mins away from me and I can pretty much never see them

Lol what? You bunch of pussies. :lol:

Crionics
07-10-2010, 08:13 AM
Lol what? You bunch of pussies. :lol:

Can pretty much never get a ride, it's not my decision.

Blackened12
07-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Seeing some of the posts on this thread makes me feel pretty lucky to have the amount of friends that I have that do appreciate metal, especially in my school. I usually never have someone that wouldn't be willing to go to a show with me and have even had the luck of turning a few people onto metal:D And I actually do have one friend of the female persuasion that absolutely LOVES metal, how often do you meet a high school girl whose favorite bands are The Black Dahlia Murder and Slayer?? The most luck I've had into "converting" anyone though was my best friend, who's now addicted to Metallica and the song Aces High(because his dad is a pilot:tp:) Most friends who aren't metalheads though usually just respect that I listen to it, but they is the occasional bitch/asshole who decides to make a comment about how it's not real music. I have a prepared speech for those fuckers;)

SomewhereInTime72
07-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Also, if I had to alter my appearance to be able to connect with certain people, I don't think I'd ever want to be around them.

enjoy realizing you are a creepy junior high school janitor that everyone is slightly afraid of

JRA
07-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I had sex with a girl while Killers, Unleashed In The East, and Powerslave was playing.

and we made out during Dreamer Deceiver.

mankvill
07-10-2010, 04:38 PM
I convinced a girl to have sex while Killers, Unleashed In The East, and Powerslave was playing.

And then you woke up.

Right?

JRA
07-10-2010, 04:39 PM
And then you woke up.

Right?

Nope. :D

ravenheart
07-10-2010, 05:26 PM
I had sex with a girl while Killers, Unleashed In The East, and Powerslave was playing.

http://www.tweak3d.net/forums/imagehosting/3049b129dd38fbb.gif

ChildrenofSodom
07-10-2010, 05:38 PM
I had sex with girl during You Suffer by Napalm Death. :eyes:

SomewhereInTime72
07-10-2010, 05:44 PM

:snivel:

JRA
07-10-2010, 05:55 PM

I lul'd.

mankvill
07-10-2010, 06:24 PM
You ain't shit until you fuck to Masonna.

Dextrimental
07-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Most of my friends are into some form of metal/rock, even if its just Nickelback and Linkin Park. I happen to enjoy those bands, and in fact MOST music in general anyway, so I don't that my friends don't wanna listen to the new Deicide record or whatever. And I kinda like that I'm the only one who likes alot of the bands I like, because it means they don't get over-played by my friends or whatever, and I feel like more of an individual when I'm out with them. All my female friends dig some sort of metal/rock too which is very awesome!

ChildrenofSodom
07-10-2010, 08:37 PM

:snivel:

It was on repeat; after the 3rd time she said "Alright, that was fun. What was that guy saying?"

rjturtle9
07-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Not a huge fan of this group, but damn I must admit, White Zombie is very good music to fuck to.

evildeadjedi
07-11-2010, 02:29 PM
I had sex with an ex to Dopesmoker. :blaze:

ravenheart
07-11-2010, 02:32 PM
I'm surprised it took eight pages for this thread to take its current direction.

ChildrenofSodom
07-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm surprised it took eight pages for this thread to take its current direction.

I thought the thread was "Getting into members of the fairer sex with metal."

treghet
07-11-2010, 08:14 PM
I thought the thread was "Getting into members of the fairer sex with metal."

You do a good job of living up to your title. :lol:

bt11763
07-11-2010, 09:33 PM

i know i'm late to the party, but i fucking remember that thread and i love you :lovedup:

Chyck
07-11-2010, 11:36 PM
~walks onto thread about 50 days too late, thinking "Ain't no chicks at a metal show that can be described as "fair"~

~realizes the title is a failthread~

~cracks up and leaves~

mankvill
07-11-2010, 11:42 PM
~walks onto thread about 50 days too late, thinking "Ain't no chicks at a metal show that can be described as "fair"~

~realizes the title is a failthread~

~cracks up and leaves~

*gets into your fairer sex*

Chyck
07-12-2010, 07:42 AM
*gets into your fairer sex*

You wish, Kansas-boy

Natrlhi
07-12-2010, 08:29 AM

I C WUT U DID THAR :dorky:

JLRedWing13
07-12-2010, 05:14 PM
You wish, Kansas-boy

SomewhereInTime72
07-12-2010, 06:43 PM
I often wish people didn't think me being a music nut meant that music would be a good thing to talk to me about. Especially people who suck at music.... aka females. For example, from a conversation I had on AIM today:

girl: if i listen to it by itself it's really boring for me..
girl: until i just found out that ppl danced to it

Me in front of my computer: grinding_teeth.exe