PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else think the Big Four have laughed at Sepultura?

davidis138
06-29-2010, 01:06 AM
Ok first things first, I absolutely love Sepultura and I'm not bashing them at all, I like Max's and Derek's respective eras just the same. It's like the Danzig/Graves eras of the Misfits, I love em just the same. But with Sepultura's dip in success(as far as the U.S. goes and somewhat in other places) and Soulfly's numbers in success, do you think the Big Four, most of whom have played and toured with Sepultura; do you think any members (probly Mustaine :lol:) have laughed at Sepultura's losing of Max and/or their success? Cos they kinda got left behind, they haven't been in the U.S. (as Sepultura not individually) since 12.22.2006 Pomona, CA - USA : The Glass House
Not trying to offend or bash anyone. Thoughts.

mankvill
06-29-2010, 01:53 AM

whaaaaaaaaaaat?

TonyD
06-29-2010, 02:05 AM

whaaaaaaaaaaat?

+1

davidis138
06-29-2010, 03:07 AM
If any members of the Big Four of thrash have laughed or made a comment or joke at the expense of Sepulturas success. Cos they were a big thrash band too who had a lot of popularity in the 80's and 90's but nowadays they don't get that much attention in the U.S. Where as the Big Four do and they get their own few dates, billed as the Big Four and it's huge news and it gets a movie. If you guys don't get it its cool i was just wondering.

FelipeTheFornicator
06-29-2010, 05:38 AM
i wouldnt say they might've laughed at Sepultura, but im sure they are aware of the issue youre pointing out... its kinda the same for other seminal thrash bands like death angel, hyrax exodus and testamnt that are not very well known (if at all) outside metal circles... i have yet to meet the exodus/testament bay area/old bridge militia fan that does not play an instrument to some degree of proficiency, what im trying to say is that it seems to me that unless youre genuinly interested on what these bands have to offer (musically and what not) common interest for these bands is relatively limited.

im sure Paul Di'anno has wished at some point he had straightened up before getting fired from Maiden, same as Mustaine or (kerry) King thinking of their firing from each respective band (metallica and megadeth respectively) as a great career move and blessing in disguise :D

Sanitarium78
06-29-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is? Who the hell really cares if they ever made a joke about Sepultura? Sepultura had SOME popularity in the early 90s and that was it. I doubt any of the big four honestly give a shit either way about it.

Sepultura has never been nor will they ever be at the height of popularity the big four were in the 80s and early 90s. So, i'm not sure why their popularity wavering would even be a consern for them. Because they've already been there and have their own shit to worry about.

Also, except for Metallica, the other three have experienced the same thing as Sepultura in tems of declining popularity and album sales in the US. It doesn't make much sense for them to make jokes about a band going through that when they themselves have been going through it since the mid 90s.

daimonos
06-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Sepultura? I thought they broke up in 1996?

Oh wait, that's just when they started becoming a mockery of a once awesome band.

SomewhereInTime72
06-29-2010, 09:11 AM
The big four are called the big four for a reason. Why should the lack of success of another band be remarkable to them, when essentially there are no other thrash bands that come close to the level of success of those four...?

Crionics
06-29-2010, 09:15 AM
I thought they all died in a plane crash in 1993?

powerslave_85
06-29-2010, 09:20 AM
Weren't Sepultura much bigger in Central/South America than in the US anyways? I think their success is on a different scale than the Big Four, so I'm not sure there's a comparison to be made. Then again, I have no idea what the fuck you're trying to say.

The Green and Black
06-29-2010, 10:28 AM
This thread makes my head hurt. Me don't get it.

ravenheart
06-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Weren't Sepultura much bigger in Central/South America than in the US anyways?

They're Brazilian, so probably.

ravenheart
06-29-2010, 10:50 AM
This thread makes my head hurt. Me don't get it.

You're thinking too hard. Go and read posts by Indestructible for half an hour then come back and try again. You'll be amazed how dumbed-down your brain has become.

idrinkwine732
06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
I guarantee you every band in the big 4 thinks they're better off than the other ones, and makes jokes at their expense all the time.

davidis138
06-29-2010, 12:11 PM
See this is the general conversation i wanted. It's not dumb just really chill. Jeez.

mankvill
06-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Didn't Sepultura open up for Metallica a while back? Or was that Maiden?

Crionics
06-29-2010, 12:20 PM

In South America, not sure which countries though.

davidis138
06-29-2010, 12:23 PM

They did open for Metallica. AND they opened kinda for Maiden. Which is cool of Metallica but that doesn't mean that the individual members or anybody else classified under the Big Four haven't gone "Hey Sepultura!!"(when they're around) and when they're not "Yeah I'm richer than them"

elturtleboy
06-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I respect the new sepultura but Derek aint got nutten on Max. And Michale Graves is a great singer but him for Misfits was totally diffrent from Danzig era. Misfits with Danzig was one of the greatest things to ever come to my ears.

TonyD
06-29-2010, 02:02 PM
I guarantee you every band in the big 4 thinks they're better off than the other ones, and makes jokes at their expense all the time.

Except Anthrax har har har

JRA
06-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Let's do some math:

Beneath The Remains > ...and Justice For All, South of Heaven, So Far So Good, State of Euphoria

Arise > Black Album, Seasons In The Abyss
Arise = Persistance of Time
Arise < Rust In Peace

ravenheart
06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
They did open for Metallica. AND they opened kinda for Maiden. Which is cool of Metallica but that doesn't mean that the individual members or anybody else classified under the Big Four haven't gone "Hey Sepultura!!"(when they're around) and when they're not "Yeah I'm richer than them"

Yeah, or absolutely any big band with absolutely any small band. Really, I don't get your point at all. We don't know if they make jokes or not. We don't know if any band makes jokes or not unless they do it in an interview. This is all meaningless.

I mean, Sepultura opened for Motorhead in the UK a few years ago. Does that mean Motorhead make jokes about them? Who knows? Who cares?

Crionics
06-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I respect the new sepultura but Derek aint got nutten on Max. And Michale Graves is a great singer but him for Misfits was totally diffrent from Danzig era. Misfits with Danzig was one of the greatest things to ever come to my ears.

Actually, I like the Graves Misfits a lot too. I mean yeah I like the Danzig era better, but it's not a huge favor for his era over Graves. Sepultura I only like the Max era. Hell to tell you guys the truth, I don't care for Chaos A.D. or Roots either.

evildeadjedi
06-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Actually, I like the Graves Misfits a lot too. I mean yeah I like the Danzig era better, but it's not a huge favor for his era over Graves. Sepultura I only like the Max era. Hell to tell you guys the truth, I don't care for Chaos A.D. or Roots either.

I like some Graves era songs and got to see them once with Graves on vocals back in 2000. However, seeing them with Jerry Only - bass, vocals Dez Cadena - guitar, vocals and Robo - drums was even cooler in my book! Because they played all old songs like "Halloween," "Die Die My Darling," "Last Caress," and even covered Dez and Robo's old band Black Flag with "Rise Above". Marky Ramone came out and they played some Ramones covers like “I Wanna Be Sedated,” “Sheena is a Punk Rocker” and “Blitzkrieg Bop.”

Overall, I feel Graves just can't touch the Danzig era songs: Static Age, 20 Eyes, Skulls, Devil's Whorehouse, Halloween I and II, Demonomia, We Bite, We Are 138, Die Die My Darling, Where Eagles Dare, Attitude, She, Vampiria, Hybird Theory, In The Doorway, Mommy Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight, Last Caress, Ghouls Night Out, Astro Zombies, Teenagers in Mars, Children in Heat, London Dungeon, etc. Similarly, I don't feel Derrick can touch Max era albums especially Arise. I liked Chaos A.D. but didn't like their sound in Roots.

Crionics
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I like some Graves era songs and got to see them once with Graves on vocals back in 2000. However, seeing them with Jerry Only - bass, vocals Dez Cadena - guitar, vocals and Robo - drums was even cooler in my book! Because they played all old songs like "Halloween," "Die Die My Darling," "Last Caress," and even covered Dez and Robo's old band Black Flag with "Rise Above". Marky Ramone came out and they played some Ramones covers like “I Wanna Be Sedated,” “Sheena is a Punk Rocker” and “Blitzkrieg Bop.”

Overall, I feel Graves just can't touch the Danzig era songs: Static Age, 20 Eyes, Skulls, Devil's Whorehouse, Halloween I and II, Demonomia, We Bite, We Are 138, Die Die My Darling, Where Eagles Dare, Attitude, She, Vampiria, Hybird Theory, In The Doorway, Mommy Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight, Last Caress, Ghouls Night Out, Astro Zombies, Teenagers in Mars, Children in Heat, London Dungeon, etc. Similarly, I don't feel Derrick can touch Max era albums especially Arise. I liked Chaos A.D. but didn't like their sound in Roots.

RISE ABOVE WE GONNA RISE ABOVE

That must have been sweet :punk:

evildeadjedi
06-29-2010, 07:09 PM
RISE ABOVE WE GONNA RISE ABOVE

That must have been sweet :punk:

It was definitely one of my all time greatest concert experiences. :)

elturtleboy
06-29-2010, 10:00 PM
This is how it is in my book:

Danzig era="THE MISFITS"
Graves era="Misfits"
Only era="Shitfits"

I loved Chaos AD!
and the new sepulturta guy...meh i wouldnt mind seeing them live but i wouldnt buy a cd brand new.

davidis138
06-29-2010, 11:08 PM

That's my thoughts exactly.

Except Anthrax har har har

This is what the thread meant to inspire.

davidis138
06-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Yeah, or absolutely any big band with absolutely any small band. Really, I don't get your point at all. We don't know if they make jokes or not. We don't know if any band makes jokes or not unless they do it in an interview. This is all meaningless.

I mean, Sepultura opened for Motorhead in the UK a few years ago. Does that mean Motorhead make jokes about them? Who knows? Who cares?

Ok sir literal it's not meaningless and no we don't know if this EVEN goes on but that doesn't make it meaningless cos obviously I care. AND you care just enough to post on this thread.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2010, 08:17 AM
:dorky:

ravenheart
06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
AND you care just enough to post on this thread.

Ooh, I've not seen that tired excuse for some time! Retro!

No, I don't care even remotely about the question because it's pointless. What i cared about expressing a view on was how dumb the thread is. The actual question is largely irrelevant.

Ok sir literal it's not meaningless and no we don't know if this EVEN goes on but that doesn't make it meaningless

And you're right here, it's not that we don't know that makes it meaningless. It's that you could substitute absolutely any big band's name into the first part of the question, absolutely any smaller-band-with-a-bit-of-success's name into the second part, and still not have anything to discuss.

What other people have brought up, which is far more relevant, is what the big four actually think of each other, because there's an actual relationship there. Not the point of the thread at all, even if you want to try to claim that's the discussion you were trying to inspire, but a far more reasonable tangent nonetheless.

And on that subject, I doubt Slayer and Megadeth think they're better off than Metallica. They may believe they've produced better music over the same period, but all three bands are in the same position with regards to the obligation to play hits in their sets, but Metallica get to do it to more people in more places and make more money, and there's no delusion Slayer or Megadeth can have that would make them feel better off than that.

Anthrax are of course nowhere near any of them, and are probably the most realistic of the four anyway, so probably don't have any delusions of grandeur at all. Which is why Scott Ian happily whores himself out to any sniff of a "super group" occasion he can get his hands on, even if he has to play bass like he did with Rob Zombie, Slash and Ace Frehley.

Cynicist
06-30-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm amazed this thread has more than one post.

davidis138
06-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Ooh, I've not seen that tired excuse for some time! Retro!

And you're right here, it's not that we don't know that makes it meaningless. It's that you could substitute absolutely any big band's name into the first part of the question, absolutely any smaller-band-with-a-bit-of-success's name into the second part, and still not have anything to discuss.

What other people have brought up, which is far more relevant, is what the big four actually think of each other, because there's an actual relationship there. Not the point of the thread at all, even if you want to try to claim that's the discussion you were trying to inspire, but a far more reasonable tangent nonetheless.

And on that subject, I doubt Slayer and Megadeth think they're better off than Metallica. They may believe they've produced better music over the same period, but all three bands are in the same position with regards to the obligation to play hits in their sets, but Metallica get to do it to more people in more places and make more money, and there's no delusion Slayer or Megadeth can have that would make them feel better off than that.

Anthrax are of course nowhere near any of them, and are probably the most realistic of the four anyway, so probably don't have any delusions of grandeur at all. Which is why Scott Ian happily whores himself out to any sniff of a "super group" occasion he can get his hands on, even if he has to play bass like he did with Rob Zombie, Slash and Ace Frehley.

Ok first you're welcome for the retro thing, you seem to have enjoyed that. And second, I'm not trying to claim anything if it was my intent. You took it in a direction I knew would happen from someone. But having said that I do think you bring up a lot of valid opinions. Hell my band "headlined" an open mic night and we though we were hot shit cos we were the only band on the bill; referring to your bigger and smaller bands comment. Whatever. Enjoy your life.

davidis138
06-30-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm amazed this thread has more than one post.

hey me too