PDA

View Full Version : Nergal isn't going to prison!

Crionics
06-28-2010, 04:29 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=142239

The District Court in Gdynia, Poland has dismissed charges against vocalist/guitarist Adam "Nergal" Darski of Polish extreme metallers BEHEMOTH in connection with a September 2007 incident when he reportedly called the Catholic Church "the most murderous cult on the planet" during a BEHEMOTH performance in Gdynia and tore up a copy of the Bible onstage (see video below).

Darski was formally charged on March 8 for insulting Roman Catholics (offending somebody's religious feelings is a criminal offense under Polish law). He would have faced 2 years in prison had he been found guilty of the charges.

According to a posting on BEHEMOTH's MySpace page, "During the preparatory proceedings, the defender filed the application which was entirely accepted by the Court. The defendant's behavior wasn't recognized as a crime. Moreover, the Court acknowledged no causal connection/cause-and-effect relationship between Adam Darski's behavior and the consequence in a form of outrage of religious emotions."

After the September 2007 incident, Ryszard Nowak, head of the All-Polish Committee for Defense Against Sects sued BEHEMOTH for promoting Satanism. Although a court expert witness on religious matters said that the act of destroying the Holy Bible could offend somebody's religious feelings, the case was discontinued because no one except Nowak accused BEHEMOTH of insulting their religious beliefs. (Under Polish law, there must be at least two formal complaints before a charge is laid. The previous complaint was made in 2008, and recently an unspecified number of other complaints had been filed.)

According to Metal As Fuck, in the first hearing, under cross examination, Darski stated what he does on stage is part of artistic license and it wasn't supposed to offend religious feelings. However, an expert on religious history and studies from Jagellonian University in Krakow stated that every copy of a bible could be considered a religious icon.

In a 2009 interview with Decibel magazine, BEHEMOTH bassist Tomasz "Orion" Wróblewski explained that the Bible-tearing incident was by no means a spontaneous outburst. "We'd been doing that for two years on tour before it happened in Poland," he said. "So, we had discussed it many times before. A BEHEMOTH show is a BEHEMOTH show, and BEHEMOTH fans are coming to a BEHEMOTH show. BEHEMOTH fans know what BEHEMOTH is about, know what the lyrics are about, and know at least a little of the philosophy behind the band. So, it's kind of surprising that there are people coming to the shows and feeling offended with what we do onstage. If such a person comes to a show, he comes with the purpose of being offended, I guess, and it shouldn't be like that. We're not offending any particular person. We're just offending the religion that we've been raised in."

:party:

mankvill
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
(offending somebody's religious feelings is a criminal offense under Polish law)

Oh Poles. You so wacky.

BloodoftheKings
06-28-2010, 04:37 PM
:D

Indestructible
06-28-2010, 04:47 PM
I maynot like behemoth but its a good thing nergal isnt going to prison. Last time I checked insulting someones belife does not make you a criminal.

mankvill
06-28-2010, 05:00 PM
I maynot like behemoth but its a good thing nergal isnt going to prison. Last time I checked insulting someones belife does not make you a criminal.

did you know america makes laws for the world?

MPF
06-28-2010, 05:01 PM
Thank Satan!

Behemoth will be ok....Just remember not to rip up any more bibles in Poland ok guy? Save it for Canada!

Indestructible
06-28-2010, 05:07 PM
did you know america makes laws for the world?

Freedom of speech goes for everyone in the world not just everyone in america. Nergal can say what he wants even if others dont like it.

Wizzbang11
06-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Freedom of speech goes for everyone in the world not just everyone in america. Nergal can say what he wants even if others dont like it.

No....it does not.
:eyes:

This is great news. I fucking hate Poland, now my hatred has subsided, just a little bit.

Div
06-28-2010, 05:13 PM
No....it does not.

true. but it should though.

Indestructible
06-28-2010, 05:14 PM
No....it does not.
:eyes:

Explain.

Wizzbang11
06-28-2010, 05:16 PM
true. but it should though.

Of course, but realistically a large chunk of the globe does not enjoy nearly the freedom we do. Even lots of Europe, which is usually considered to be 'free', has shit laws concerning freedom; ie Poland.

Wizzbang11
06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Explain.
Most of the Middle East, a good part of Africa, South America, Europe (even Germany), a lot of mainland Asia.

mankvill
06-28-2010, 05:21 PM
NORTH KOREA

IS BEST KOREA

Indestructible
06-28-2010, 05:32 PM
Most of the Middle East, a good part of Africa, South America, Europe (even Germany), a lot of mainland Asia.

That doesnt mean they dont have rights and freedom. They need to learn about there rights and use them. That goes for America the middle east africa europe and everywhere else. If the government is not doing its job protecting your rights you have to stand up and excersise your rights and alter or abolish that government and institute a new government one that will protect your rights. The founders wrote that all men are created equal not only the people of the united states are equal.

mankvill
06-28-2010, 05:33 PM
Go to China or North Korea and criticize the government. They won't do anything. I promise.

Indestructible
06-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Go to China or North Korea and criticize the government. They won't do anything. I promise.
The U.S government is no diffrent

mankvill
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM

l
m
f
a
o

Wizzbang11
06-28-2010, 05:58 PM
The founders wrote that all men are created equal not only the people of the united states are equal.

The world does not operate under the laws and principals of the United States.
Sure others deserve free speech, that doesn't mean they have it.
Most of the world censors things, as much as the US government can be fucked up at times walking around wearing a swastika won't get you arrested, in Germany it will. Same goes for criticizing the government, religion or any other controversial form of expression.

Indestructible
06-28-2010, 06:13 PM
The world does not operate under the laws and principals of the United States.
Sure others deserve free speech, that doesn't mean they have it.
Most of the world censors things, as much as the US government can be fucked up at times walking around wearing a swastika won't get you arrested, in Germany it will. Same goes for criticizing the government, religion or any other controversial form of expression.

Even if its racism i hate racism but if someone is insulting another race and talking bad about them you cant arrest them. Only when they get violent with that person or race they are insulting thats the problem. What you can do is denouce what that other person is All people have to do is learn and stand up for there rights.

mankvill
06-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Even if its racism i hate racism but if someone is insulting another race and talking bad about them you cant arrest them.

In America.

You might elsewhere.

Holy shit, it's like talking to a brickwall. Abandon ship on this thread.

Wizzbang11
06-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Even if its racism i hate racism but if someone is insulting another race and talking bad about them you cant arrest them. Only when they get violent with that person or race they are insulting thats the problem. What you can do is denouce what that other person is All people have to do is learn and stand up for there rights.

You just completely ignored what I said.
I give up, I'm with Manky.

b_halperin
06-28-2010, 06:45 PM
This thread made me laugh. the whole situations ridculis

NecroRob
06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
I hope this kid isn't serious, but he probably is...:hecho:. Pay attention in school from now on, k?

Good news about Nergal, even though it was stupid of him in the first place to do this if he knew it was against the law.

idrinkwine732
06-28-2010, 07:34 PM
I hope this kid isn't serious, but he probably is...:hecho:. Pay attention in school from now on, k?

Good news about Nergal, even though it was stupid of him in the first place to do this if he knew it was against the law.

I'm pretty sure he's out of school...and that scares me quite a bit.

I never thought that Nergal actually would go to jail, but that just could have been my wishful thinking.

NecroRob
06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
I'm pretty sure he's out of school...and that scares me quite a bit.

:wtf::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:

makethemsuffer12
06-28-2010, 07:48 PM
:wtf::wallbang::wallbang::wallbang:

By school he probably means kindergarden. He probably got left back quite a bit.

BloodoftheKings
06-28-2010, 07:49 PM
All people have to do is learn and stand up for there rights.

GENIUS! All people have to do is stand up for themselves, it's not like they'll get killed or arrested or anything.

makethemsuffer12
06-28-2010, 07:54 PM
no one cares bout rest o da werld, cuz we is in MERCA
http://www.babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/american-flag-2a.jpg
MERCA

treghet
06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
MERCA

:jima:

MERCA!!!

SomewhereInTime72
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Well, by insulting the institution of the church, he actually didn't say anything demeaning about faith itself. :eyes: So technically, yeah, he didn't break any Polish laws.

Fires Of Sedition
06-29-2010, 12:03 AM

America. The New Earth.

mastodon421
06-29-2010, 03:44 AM

Than North Korea or China? :lol:

Also its great to see that Nergal is free!

Indestructible
06-29-2010, 06:32 AM
GENIUS! All people have to do is stand up for themselves, it's not like they'll get killed or arrested or anything.

If you dont fear the government and what they will do and you stand up for yourself and your rights things will go fine.

Crionics
06-29-2010, 06:43 AM
If you dont fear the government and what they will do and you stand up for yourself and your rights things will go fine.

Neda Agha-Soltan

SomewhereInTime72
06-29-2010, 08:08 AM

this just in everyone, things going fine includes dying !

makethemsuffer12
06-29-2010, 09:13 AM

Oh my God ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED??! What part of "this doesn't apply to other parts of the world" don't you understand? In North Korea, China, or any sort of oppressive government, they will fucking put you in jail or most likely kill you. Do you think that someone in North Korea can just go up to Kim Jong Il and say "you know what, I think we could use some changes around here" or something like that? No, because they'd blow his fucking brains out. Why do you think Kim Jong Il's so ronery anyway?

Div
06-29-2010, 09:43 AM
. . .

ravenheart
06-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Even if its racism i hate racism but if someone is insulting another race and talking bad about them you cant arrest them

You will get arrested in the UK for racially abusing someone, and that doesn't have to be violent abuse either.

ravenheart
06-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Last time I checked insulting someones belife does not make you a criminal.

Wow you dumb.

ChildrenofSodom
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
Many European countries have anti-defamation laws, to prevent people from talking bad about other religions, races, and whatevers. The Catholic Church is VERY popular and powerful in Poland, and as such, insulting them would get you in trouble under these laws.

I get what Indestructible is saying. I think he is trying to convey, in a very inarticulate manner, the idea of natural rights as opposed to state-granted rights. I agree with him that people have the natural right to freedom of speech, but in Poland and other parts of the world, the State has curbed those rights in order to acheive some social goal (IE-tolerance, less ethnic conflict, whatever.) I wish he would shut his mouth and quit trying to argue, but I do understand what both sides are saying here. I think it is ironic that stuff like this doesn't happen in America, but the Tea Party folks still say that our freedoms are being eroded.

Anyway, glad Nergal isn't going to jail.

mankvill
06-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Why do you think Kim Jong Il's so ronery anyway?

lol'd

Natrlhi
06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
INDESTRUCTIBIBBLE - PLEASE CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkWH8DB7b0&NR=1)

makethemsuffer12
06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
INDESTRUCTIBIBBLE - PLEASE CLICK HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEkWH8DB7b0&NR=1)

+100 million bajillion times infinty.

mankvill
06-29-2010, 03:16 PM

"...a simple 'No' would've done just fine..."

Natrlhi
06-30-2010, 08:58 AM
"...a simple 'No' would've done just fine..."

:lol: *high five*

JLRedWing13
06-30-2010, 01:03 PM
Many lulz in this thread.