PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden -- Edmonton, Alberta -- June 26th, 2010

Dissimulate
06-26-2010, 01:33 PM
T-minus 4 hours till Maiden, will post review when I get back.

eyekantspele
06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
T-minus 4 days till Maiden in Winnipeg! :rocker:

Dissimulate
06-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Alright, same set as rest of tour, we got Dance of Death. Nice to see some people still pull out lighters. Will post review in few minutes or tomorrow depending if I fall asleep.

The_jman
06-27-2010, 03:14 PM
why do we have a thread before a review is up?

Dissimulate
06-27-2010, 04:42 PM
Cause I fell asleep before I could post it.

Alright, review:

Got there half hour before the doors opened. Spent about 45 minutes in the line for the merch tent outside, they ended up selling out the fucking shirt I wanted and I had to settle for my second choice in the wrong size. Getting in was painless as we missed the rush. When I got inside they were selling merch there too. I ended up getting the shirt I wanted (Wicker Man shirt) and a Dream Theater sweatband. They had a bunch of shirts for $40, longsleeves for $50, a hoodie for $60, flags for $30 (you could see people wearing them as capes), and other assorted stuff. Went up to our seats, in the 200 section of the arena but had very nice lines of sight to the stage, almost dead center at the back end.

Shortly after we got to our seats Dream Theater came on. The Re-animator theme they played shook the building, either it was louder than their set or it deafened me. The first thing that struck me was how professional the band was. They all played their parts perfectly, which is good considering the complexity of their music. The mix for them was not great. I sometimes had to strain to hear the vocals and the drums were overpowering. As well, they had absolutely no bass presence, but I think this is common for them. LaBrie really does leave the stage during instrumental parts and solos, I found that pretty funny. He also didn't speak to the crowd much. Myung seemed content off in the corner without the spotlight figuratively and literally. The setlist sounded good, but was not perfect because I am not to familiar with the band. Dream Theater are definitely one that I would like to see again headlining. 4/5

During the intermission my friend pointed out that some of the seats in the 100 section were empty. After getting food and loitering for a bit we went to our new seats, second row right at the corner of the back of the arena. When
we walked down Doctor Doctor and started walking to our seats we were stopped by a drunk man who insisted we listen to UFO and shook my hand when I mentioned Micheal Schenker. After they played Doctor Doctor the house lights went out and the sci-fi music started playing. The light show on the stage was really cool and the video screens showed pictures of planets, nebulae, etc. After this finished, Maiden came on.

(will finish this in a few minutes)

idrinkwine732
06-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Looks like they changed up the rotation...

Apparantly 3 shows got DOD in a row.

Maiden33
06-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Looks like they changed up the rotation...

Apparantly 3 shows got DOD in a row.

Good, maybe if they change things up I can see both songs, even though the two shows I'm going to are an even number apart. I'd really like to see both. I'd be happy with either, but if I'm gonna bother to go to two shows, it'd be best if I managed to see both.

idrinkwine732
06-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Good, maybe if they change things up I can see both songs, even though the two shows I'm going to are an even number apart. I'd really like to see both. I'd be happy with either, but if I'm gonna bother to go to two shows, it'd be best if I managed to see both.

There's a possibility that I'll be going to the MSG show as well, so I'd love to see Paschendale played. I wasn't too impressed with Dance of Death live, I mean, I think the song's great, but it's just not what I want them filling their set time with.

powerslave_85
06-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Maybe DOD has been getting a good crowd response in Canada, and they decided to stick with it.

IrritatedTrout
06-27-2010, 09:50 PM
Hopefully they'll do Paschendale tomorrow and the rotation will be back to order. I'd rather see Pasch 3 times than DoD 3 times.