PDA

View Full Version : Blind Guardian Album Samples!!

maidenpriest
06-25-2010, 12:04 AM
http://www.blind-guardian.com/discography.php3?cat=1&album_id=24

I am very excited for this album to come out. A Voice in the Dark is an amazing track!

Maiden33
06-25-2010, 08:30 AM
This band is incredible. Over 20 years into their career, and they can still turn out music this excellent. I feel like this album is going to be a marriage of all eras of their career - the bombastic choirs/orchestral stuff meeting the pure speed/thrash stuff of the earlier days. Kinda like Imaginations: 15 years later.

And the sample confirms that "Sacred World" is indeed a reworked version of "Sacred". Great news. :party:

powerslave_85
06-25-2010, 08:36 AM
I'm excited!

Crionics
06-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Samples sound good!

makethemsuffer12
06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Sounds pretty fucking good.

Indestructible
06-25-2010, 10:14 AM
These guys are talked about alot. Song suggjestions for a first time listener.

makethemsuffer12
06-25-2010, 10:19 AM

Two of my personal favorites are "Fly" (from A Twist in the Myth) and "I'm Alive" (from Imaginations From the Other Side). I'm not the biggest BG fanboy here so I can't really help too much.

Crionics
06-25-2010, 10:23 AM

Get the live album entitled "Live"

Maiden33
06-25-2010, 10:23 AM

Songs, with album titles in parenthesis:

Imaginations From the Other Side (Imaginations From the Other Side)
Into the Storm (Nightfall in Middle Earth)
Mirror Mirror (Nightfall in Middle Earth)
Nightfall (Nightfall in Middle Earth)
Script For My Requiem (Imaginations From the Other Side)
The Bard's Song (In the Forrest) (Somewhere Far Beyond)
Welcome to Dying (Tales From the Twilight World)
Lord of the Rings (Tales From the Twilight World)
Lost in the Twilight Hall (Tales From the Twilight World)
Valhalla (Follow the Blind)
Punishment Divine (A Night at the Opera)
Fly (A Twist in the Myth)

... yeah, that should do it. Still missing some great, essential stuff, but this is a good introduction list.

makethemsuffer12
06-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Get the live album entitled "Live"

Clever title, ain't it? ;)

Crionics
06-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Clever title, ain't it? ;)

I think they discussed it for hours ;)

Crionics
06-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Songs, with album titles in parenthesis:

Imaginations From the Other Side (Imaginations From the Other Side)
Into the Storm (Nightfall in Middle Earth)
Mirror Mirror (Nightfall in Middle Earth)
Nightfall (Nightfall in Middle Earth)
Script For My Requiem (Imaginations From the Other Side)
The Bard's Song (In the Forrest) (Somewhere Far Beyond)
Welcome to Dying (Tales From the Twilight World)
Lord of the Rings (Tales From the Twilight World)
Lost in the Twilight Hall (Tales From the Twilight World)
Valhalla (Follow the Blind)
Punishment Divine (A Night at the Opera)
Fly (A Twist in the Myth)

... yeah, that should do it. Still missing some great, essential stuff, but this is a good introduction list.

All of those songs except for Fly are on Live ;) oh and you forgot Majesty :tongue:

The Green and Black
06-25-2010, 10:54 AM
I have not listened to the samples, but don't feel I need to, sounds like it's exactly what I would expect from Blind Guardian, can't wait for the release!

evildeadjedi
06-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Fucking awesome, I can't wait for this album and next year when they likely tour the USA again! :party: :party:

darkguardian50
06-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm Alive is one of their most hated songs for me.

I've been listening to these guys for a long long time. Probably the first power metal I got into.

Best tracks

Fly is quite different but definitely one that needs to be listened to
Punishment Divine
Surfin USA (awesome awesome cover, they did a decent job on Don't Talk to Strangers also)
The Forgotten Tales version of "Lord of the Rings"
Curse of Feanor, Thorn and Mirror Mirror of the Nightfall in Middle Earth album
Bright Eyes and the title track from Imaginations from The Other Side
the title track from the album Somewhere Far Beyond
Pretty much all of Tales from the Twilight World is awesome
Valhalla and Beyond the Ice off Follow the Blind (good cd with awful production)
Majesty, Run for the Night and By the Gates of Moria (killer instrumental) off Battalions of Fear.

That should get you started :)

makethemsuffer12
06-25-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm Alive is one of their most hated songs for me.

:eek::confused:

Maiden33
06-25-2010, 12:48 PM
@ DarkGuardian, I respect your post, and they're all great tracks, but I don't think those songs would really serve as the best intro to Blind Guardian. My post with recommendations + the absent Valhalla and Bright Eyes, would practically be "The Best of Blind Guardian", if the band were ever to make it.

darkguardian50
06-25-2010, 09:20 PM
@ DarkGuardian, I respect your post, and they're all great tracks, but I don't think those songs would really serve as the best intro to Blind Guardian. My post with recommendations + the absent Valhalla and Bright Eyes, would practically be "The Best of Blind Guardian", if the band were ever to make it.

Alot of the ones I picked were the same as the ones you picked. I also think you need to take into account the more epic side of BG. Thorn for example is a really terrific example of mixing a very melodic mid tempo track with that huge epic feel. And I think most hardcore BG fans (I'm a poster from the BG forums since way back) would probably take Curse of Feanor over the slightly overplayed Into the Storm even in terms of a "best of" scenario.

I was pressed for time this morning when I made the post so I didn't really go through but I definitely would have to ammend my post to include The Bard's Song and probably Nightfall too even if its not a fav. And I just sorta threw all of Tales up there as a reccomendation (though it is my favorite BG album). I'd agree with your picks from that disc though. Welcome to Dying and Lost in the Twilight Hall.

The only one I'd take issue with on your list is "Script for my Requiem". Not a bad song by any means but I don't think it would make any best of list at least not over "And the Story Ends" . You mentioned Valhalla and Bright Eyes but you absolutely cannot have a BG best of list and not include Majesty. Its one of their most popular live songs.

I actually did a best of BG cd for a friend, I'll have to dig it up and see whats on it.

I totally forgot to mention in my post earlier (as I said I was quite rushed). The new cd sounds fantastic. I was not a big fan of Twist in the Myth but I respect the hell out of Hansi for always changing their sound slightly for each cd. Not many bands take that risk. Even if I don't like a CD of theirs I'll always be a fan. Not to mention I chatted briefly with Marcus and Hansi and they are both extremely cool and nice guys.

evildeadjedi
06-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Blind Guardian has so many good tracks it's very challenging to make a list of the best tracks (especially one everyone agrees with).

maidenpriest
06-25-2010, 09:28 PM
And I think most hardcore BG fans (I'm a poster from the BG forums since way back) would probably take Curse of Feanor over the slightly overplayed Into the Storm even in terms of a "best of" scenario.

Agreed!! Into the Storm is a good song but Curse of Feanor is godly, probably my favorite of Nightfall in Middle-Earth. i would love to ever hear that song live.

darkguardian50
06-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Agreed!! Into the Storm is a good song but Curse of Feanor is godly, probably my favorite of Nightfall in Middle-Earth. i would love to ever hear that song live.
They were going to play it at the BG fest! But Thomen wasn't able to memorize the extremely difficult drum sections in time. A real shame.

Anyways here is my tracklisting from the mix cd I did. I put it only two sixty minute cds. I don't think I could possibly cut it down to one. I think most people wouldn't find to much fault with these 18 (17, the bonus was cause he loves cover songs) tracks. And as for Surfin USA. I think its one of the best metal covers of a nonmetal band that I have ever heard. Its really hard to both pay hommage to the original and still make it metal. The only one I put in the same league is Nevermore's cover of "The Sound of Silence" but that one sounds nothing like the original, regardless of how awesome it is.

1.Mirror, Mirror
2.The Bard's Song
3.Bright Eyes
4.Valhalla
5.Punishment Divine
6.And the Story Ends
7.Nightfall
8.Majesty
9.Lord of the Rings (The forgotten tales version)
10. Welcome to Dying
11. Imaginations from the Other Side
12. Thorn
13. Somewhere Far Beyond
14. Lost in the Twilight Hall
15. Curse of Feanor
16. Run for the Night
17. By the Gates of Moria

Bonus
18. Surfin USA (cover)

maidenpriest
06-25-2010, 09:44 PM
what was played at that BG fest? cus i know the DVD isn't the entire concert (or so I have heard). Either way i wished i had been there =(

darkguardian50
06-25-2010, 10:14 PM
I can't remember (I don't have the info on it anymore) but it was the top (20?) tracks picked by the fans. But they had to substitute for Curse of Feanor. That was the only one that was voted for that they didn't play and its a shame cause it was among the top vote getters. Still most bands wouldn't even do something that cool for their fans. BG is class.

maidenpriest
06-25-2010, 10:21 PM
ah okay. i knew they had thought bout doing Battlefield but Thomen couldnt do that one either =(