PDA

View Full Version : Why is Muse on my local metal station's concert calendar?

Travis The Dragon
06-22-2010, 12:01 AM
http://www.93x.com/nationalconcerts.asp
Please don't tell me that metal stations are playing them.

idrinkwine732
06-22-2010, 12:49 AM
I don't care.

mankvill
06-22-2010, 12:50 AM
ohboyherewego.jpg

idrinkwine732
06-22-2010, 01:04 AM
Here comes that .wav of anger.

mankvill
06-22-2010, 01:21 AM
It's just fonzy having another .tiff

mankvill
06-22-2010, 01:23 AM
No, but seriously.

That concert calendar is advertising Hed PE, Saliva, Cage the Elephant, 3 Doors Down, Limp Bizkit and Seether, but you call them out for having Muse?

God damn Fonzy.

God damn.

xStructualDefect
06-22-2010, 02:01 AM
because Muse is da metalz!

mankvill
06-22-2010, 02:14 AM
Because (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sBOsh-vyI) Muse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm_5qWWDV8) isn't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN9acC9edU&feature=channel) heavy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btjVnTLn6og) at (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5V8We3hgg) all. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHUKVoYbdc&feature=related)

Drowning Pool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sJvYpK0kfI&feature=related) and Seether (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sep27sMmG-0) are way heavier, man.

Sanitarium78
06-22-2010, 05:06 AM
Who the hell is Muse and why should I care what calendar they're on?

Natrlhi
06-22-2010, 08:12 AM
Not this fucking discussion again. Some of us like Muse, some of you don't. We get it. End of discussion. Let's .mov on.

:deadhorse:

Seriously.

Crionics
06-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Hey d00dz

Wizzbang11
06-22-2010, 09:15 AM
No, but seriously.

That concert calendar is advertising Hed PE, Saliva, Cage the Elephant, 3 Doors Down, Limp Bizkit and Seether, but you call them out for having Muse?

Don't forget Theory of a Deadman, Disturbed, Jack White, Warped Tour, Buck Cherry and The Offspring.

You sure this is a metal station brah?
By my count it's got 5 "metal" shows and 17 non metal ones, that just sounds like a normal alt rock radio station that happens to promote a handful or harder shows.

The Green and Black
06-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Who the hell is Muse and why should I care what calendar they're on?

:lol: :lol: :lol: You don't need to know who Muse is, trust me!

MPF
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Did you just mistake 93X as a metal station?

93X hasn't been Metal since they got rid of the Metalshop about 5 years ago now. Since then it is the average Hard Rock station.

DethMaiden
06-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Can we put a freeze on this guy's "Post New Thread" button? Jesus Christ.

b_halperin
06-22-2010, 11:57 AM
http://members.optusnet.com.au/yeseron/Thread%20pics/this_thread_rocks.jpg

Natrlhi
06-22-2010, 12:07 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: You don't need to know who Muse is, trust me!ZIP IT. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK8mneO8yvU&feature=related)

mankvill
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Just wanted you all to know that if you don't like Muse, you're a loser.

:cool:

Maiden33
06-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Just wanted you all to know that if you don't like Muse, you're a loser.

:cool:

I guess I'm proudly a loser because I can NOT stand that band.

mankvill
06-22-2010, 01:27 PM
I guess I'm proudly a loser because I can NOT stand that band.

llllllllllllLOSAHHHH!!!!

Natrlhi
06-22-2010, 01:30 PM
llllllllllllLOSAHHHH!!!!

www .oldnews.com ;)

idrinkwine732
06-22-2010, 01:53 PM
I really like Muse...

mankvill
06-22-2010, 02:25 PM
I really like Muse...

*high five*

Travis The Dragon
06-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Because (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sBOsh-vyI) Muse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dm_5qWWDV8) isn't (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXN9acC9edU&feature=channel) heavy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btjVnTLn6og) at (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_5V8We3hgg) all. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiHUKVoYbdc&feature=related)

Drowning Pool (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sJvYpK0kfI&feature=related) and Seether (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sep27sMmG-0) are way heavier, man.OMG! WOW! I only listened to a couple of songs on their myspace and what I sounded like light alternative poppy stuff. What I just heard there was SWEET! :rocker:

mankvill
06-22-2010, 02:48 PM
OMG! WOW! I only listened to a couple of songs on their myspace and what I sounded like light alternative poppy stuff. What I just heard there was SWEET! :rocker:

:flame: demmit fonzy! *pinch*

ravenheart
06-22-2010, 03:29 PM
I don't care.

Maiden33
06-22-2010, 05:51 PM
OMG! WOW! I only listened to a couple of songs on their myspace and what I sounded like light alternative poppy stuff. What I just heard there was SWEET! :rocker:

Nope, that's what Muse is.

mankvill
06-22-2010, 06:24 PM
Nope, that's what Muse is.

llllllllllllLOSAHHHH!

Maiden33
06-22-2010, 06:25 PM
llllllllllllLOSAHHHH!

:lol: Doesn't bother me.

b_halperin
06-22-2010, 06:30 PM
muse is da shiz nizzle

300%_Density
06-22-2010, 06:44 PM
The guy typing this wearing the Napalm Death shirt is ok being a loser for not liking Muse. Manks I can't hate b/c there are few KC people on here but I don't have your back on this one.

mankvill
06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
The guy typing this wearing the Napalm Death shirt is ok being a loser for not liking Muse.

lLlLlLlLlLOSAHHHH!!!

MPF
06-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Muse used to be a great band...Then they made Black Holes And Revelations.

Been downhill ever since.

mankvill
06-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Muse used to be a great band...Then they made The Resistance.

Been downhill ever since.

BHAR is fucking amazing.

MPF
06-22-2010, 09:35 PM
BHAR is fucking amazing.

I'll take SHowbiz-Absolution over Black Hole And Revelations-The Resistance anyday.

I don't mind electronica rock, but Muse is the prime example of how over use of electronics can ruin a band.

JLRedWing13
06-23-2010, 12:19 AM
Since we're throwing our opinion of Muse out there....

I love them and every album they've made.

Their show last March was one of the top 5 shows I've ever seen.

Natrlhi
06-23-2010, 07:26 AM
I don't mind electronica rock, but Muse is the prime example of how over use of electronics can ruin a band.Then you'd REALLY hate some of the shit I listen to. :lol:

Awesome 2010 Releases (Not Necessarily Metal) That Have Significant Electronic Content
Yeasayer
Fang Island
Crystal Castles
Sleigh Bells
RATATAT
65daysofstatic
God Is an Astronaut

Plus:

The Prodigy in 2009
The Crystal Method in 2009
Fuck Buttons in 2009 & 2008
Genghis Tron in 2008
This Will Destroy You in 2008
Sound Tribe Sector 9 in 2008
The Chemical Brothers in 2007
Daft Punk in 2007

mastodon421
06-23-2010, 07:50 AM
BHAR is fucking amazing.

+1 My fave Muse record. Muse is fantastic and they near the top of bands that I need to see live.

ChildrenofSodom
06-23-2010, 08:05 AM
How many fucking commercials and movies are going to use the "We will be victorious" part of Resistance?

Jesus Christ, America - Get some new songs to play on TV besides Muse and the Beatles.

DethMaiden
06-23-2010, 08:17 AM
How many fucking commercials and movies are going to use the "We will be victorious" part of Resistance?

Jesus Christ, America - Get some new songs to play on TV besides Muse and the Beatles.

Actually, only Beatles covers can be used in commercials because Michael Jackson (and now, his estate) won't permit originals to be used commercially. [/Beatles geek]

Div
06-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Actually, only Beatles covers can be used in commercials because Michael Jackson (and now, his estate) won't permit originals to be used commercially. [/Beatles geek]

whats michael jackson got to do with the beatles?

DethMaiden
06-23-2010, 08:35 AM
whats michael jackson got to do with the beatles?

He owns/owned the rights to their catalogue. In his "having more money than God, and spending it" phase, he bought it off Paul McCartney for basically more than he could refuse.

MPF
06-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Then you'd REALLY hate some of the shit I listen to. :lol:

Awesome 2010 Releases (Not Necessarily Metal) That Have Significant Electronic Content
Yeasayer
Fang Island
Crystal Castles
Sleigh Bells
RATATAT
65daysofstatic
God Is an Astronaut

Plus:

The Prodigy in 2009
The Crystal Method in 2009
Fuck Buttons in 2009 & 2008
Genghis Tron in 2008
This Will Destroy You in 2008
Sound Tribe Sector 9 in 2008
The Chemical Brothers in 2007
Daft Punk in 2007

Actually I love God Is An Astronaut, 65daysofstatic, This Will Destroy You, and Genghis Tron.

I think that's because they always had that part of them. Muse started off more as a Rock band with a little Electronics, then shifted into an Eletronica band with a little Rock element.

Natrlhi
06-23-2010, 08:58 AM
^ Nice post. Didn't know you liked the bands you mentioned. :fist:

Interesting observation on the shift from guitars to electronics in Muse. I suppose I could buy that to an extent, but I think what is really starting to make their stuff a bit less interesting - to me, at least - is all the Queen worship on The Resistance (even though I like some Queen), and the increased emphasis on vocals and keyboards (whether said keyboards are electronic or straight piano).

Still, we have more common ground on this topic than I thought.

EDIT: Have you heard 65's new one? What do you think?

Sanitarium78
06-23-2010, 09:23 AM
He owns/owned the rights to their catalogue. In his "having more money than God, and spending it" phase, he bought it off Paul McCartney for basically more than he could refuse.

That's not actually how it happened though. McCartney and Jackson at the time were friends and even collaborated together on a couple of hit songs. The story goes that back in 1985 McCartney had a conversation with Jackson about how to invest the money he had and publishing rights to songs is one thing he mentioned to him. Supposedly Michael knew how much Paul was going to bid on the Beatles catalog and he ended up placing a higher bid. He ended up with the rights to like 200 Beatles songs because of it. A smart buisness move by Jackson no doubt about it but he also betrayed and lost a friend. Paul only owned the publishing rights to a handful of The Beatles songs at the time of Michael's purchase of them. I don't believe Paul ever spoke to him again and if he did it was many years after that.

I know Paul has said in interviews that it sucks playing his hits live that he wrote and having to pay someone else for it. Now that Jackson is dead though I'm not sure what became of the rights. But since 1985 if you ever bought a Beatles album you were putting money in Jacko's pocket. I'm guessing any sales now go to his estate.

Also, I find it rather strange that I know this whole story, considering i'm not even a fan of either artist:lol:

DethMaiden
06-23-2010, 09:24 AM
That's not actually how it happened though. McCartney and Jackson at the time were friends and even collaborated together on a couple of hit songs. The story goes that back in 1985 McCartney had a conversation with Jackson about how to invest the money he had and publishing rights to songs is one thing he mentioned to him. Supposedly Michael knew how much Paul was going to bid on the Beatles catalog and he ended up placing a higher bid. He ended up with the rights to like 200 Beatles songs because of it. A smart buisness move by Jackson no doubt about it but he also betrayed and lost a friend. Paul only owned the publishing rights to a handful of The Beatles songs at the time of Michael's purchase of them. I don't believe Paul ever spoke to him again and if he did it was many years after that.

I know Paul has said in interviews that it sucks playing his hits live that he wrote and having to pay someone else for it. Now that Jackson is dead though I'm not sure what became of the rights. But since 1985 if you ever bought a Beatles album you were putting money in Jacko's pocket. I'm guessing any sales now go to his estate.

Also, I find it rather strange that I know this whole story, considering i'm not even a fan of either artist:lol:

:lol: Sounds like something from a VH1 special. Thanks for correcting me though, I really wasn't sure how it went down, only that it went down.

MPF
06-23-2010, 09:49 AM
^ Nice post. Didn't know you liked the bands you mentioned. :fist:

Interesting observation on the shift from guitars to electronics in Muse. I suppose I could buy that to an extent, but I think what is really starting to make their stuff a bit less interesting - to me, at least - is all the Queen worship on The Resistance (even though I like some Queen), and the increased emphasis on vocals and keyboards (whether said keyboards are electronic or straight piano).

Still, we have more common ground on this topic than I thought.

EDIT: Have you heard 65's new one? What do you think?

It's just kind of sad to me because Absolution is one of my top 20 favorite albums of all time, and I was really looking forward to what they would be bringing to the table with BR&R...then I was just :eyes: But then again, that's just me.

For 65, I only have been able to pick up Weak4, but that is a killer EP. I will be picking up We Were Exploding Away pretty soon.

The other bands you mentioned, I actually haven't heard yet, but it's inspiring me to do some research.

ChildrenofSodom
06-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah, I knew about the covers thing. Point is - either execs are really uncreative or consumers are very easily impressionable.

Natrlhi
06-23-2010, 12:25 PM
For 65, I only have been able to pick up Weak4, but that is a killer EP. I will be picking up We Were Exploding Away pretty soon.Yeah, it's pretty good. If you liked their last few albums, you should like the new one. Nothing really new on it, but just to keep pace with the last few studio albums puts it into the "awesome" category right away. The new GIAA is pretty solid as well, as I'm assuming you already know. TWDY is supposed to be releasing their new album "Tunnel Blanket" any time now - I can't wait for that. :bliss:

The other bands you mentioned, I actually haven't heard yet, but it's inspiring me to do some research.Let me help narrow the search for you a bit (listed in general order from most electronic to least):

Fuck Buttons are a purely electronic duo from Bristol, UK who are influenced by Aphex Twin and Mogwai. Their music is purely instrumental and sounds a lot like trance music to me, but some of it has a heavier beat than most trance music does.

I assume you may know something about The Chemical Brothers and The Crystal Method, but just in case you don't, they are very similar. The former is UK-based, and the latter is U.S.-based. They are both duos who make purely electronic music. They use vocal samples and / or guest vocalists on some material; other material is instrumental. Both groups' music is heavily beat-oriented, and both are very big names in their field. They both tend to remix a lot of other bands' stuff, too.

Daft Punk is a lot like the previous two groups, and they are a duo from France. Their stuff is even more danceable than TCM and Chem Bros. They tend to be more club-oriented, and their live sets are the stuff of legend. Awesome if you like pure electronica.

The Prodigy are a somewhat legendary trio from UK who started out making bona fide techno music back in the early 90's, but who then started getting edgier and edgier with their sound, up to the point where they released their breakthrough album "Fat of the Land" in 1997, which included the hard-hitting tracks "Breathe" and "Firestarter" (among others). Their most recent release is a very nice fusion of their older techno style from their original days and the hard-hitting stuff that really put them on the map about ten years ago. Their live shows are renowned for getting huge crowds of people very amped up, and not knowing whether to bounce up and down or slam dance - very high energy stuff. Lots of harsh vocals, sounds of glass breaking, etc. - very "metal" in terms of attitude, if not sound.

Crystal Castles and Sleigh Bells are both male / female electronic duos from North America - the former is from Toronto and the latter from Brooklyn. Both groups feauture the same girl-sings/screams-and-guy-programs-all-music-and-beats dynamic, but I would say CC is a bit more punk-oriented than Sleigh Bells, who are generally more about big, bad beats. Sleigh Bells incorporates some pretty nasty guitar work into their sound, as the guy is formerly from a metal band (Poison the Well), whereas CC sounds a bit more like a Nintendo game (which is utterly intentional on their part).

RATATAT is similar to CC and Sleigh Bells, only it's two dudes who use guitars, bass and synthesizers to make music that sounds experimental like Aphex Twin at first, but has way more of a beat than that. Their stuff moves. It's not entirely electronic, as the guitars factor in pretty significantly at times, but it's definitely not metal or even close to it (as would be, say, 65 considered to be an electronic / post-rock fusion band of sorts). Their new album is fantastic, and I can't stop listening to it.

Sound Tribe Sector 9 is an electronic jam band that consists of about five dudes, and their sound is hard to characterize. It's a little bit electronic, and a little bit rock. It's purely instrumental. It's very groove-oriented. They are really big on the festival circuit, partly because they are very politically-oriented (even though their music has no vocals or lyrics), and partly because their genre-blending style appeals to a range of audiences. I saw them at Lollapalooza last year, and they were great.

Yeasayer is a five-piece experimental / indie rock band based out of Brooklyn who utilize electronics pretty significantly in their music. Their beats and melodies are very contagious. They are very big on the indie festival scene right now, and they are friends with the guys in Fang Island (although their music is a little different). They are the most "indie rock" of the bands listed here, but I like them pretty well.

Fang Island is difficult to characterize, but their music is definitely guitar-oriented, as there are three guitar players and a bass player in the band, plus a drummer. They do utilize some keyboards and effects, too. They all sing (except the drummer), and this is definitely one of their big hooks. Sometimes the harmonies are three or four deep, and it gives their music a very rich and attractive sound. Their melodies are catchy as hell, and that's their other big hook. I saw them on tour with Red Sparowes and Caspian earlier this year (show review here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=13198&highlight=sparowes)), and they blew me away (Sparowes and Caspian were fucknawesome too, BTW ;)).

300%_Density
06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
:lol: Sounds like something from a VH1 special. Thanks for correcting me though, I really wasn't sure how it went down, only that it went down.

LOL. I'm fairly positive it was some kind of VH1 special b/c as I was reading that it started to turn a light on in my head and that's pretty much how I remember it goin down as well and I am not a fan of either as well.

TonyD
06-23-2010, 10:09 PM
So much for ebony and ivory in perfect harmony, eh?

The Green and Black
06-25-2010, 06:50 AM

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. I know the same exact whole story as you just told, but not a fan of Jackson or The Beatles either!

However, I THOUGHT that MJ sold his rights to The Beatles stuff years ago when he was in financial trouble, and I thought McCartney owned them. I could be wrong, didn't bother to look any of this up, just going by memory.

Edit: Muse is gay

Indestructible
06-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Heres how it should be if you wrote the song then you own the song and only you/the band your in have rights to it and no one else.

The Green and Black
06-25-2010, 07:21 AM
Heres how it should be if you wrote the song then you own the song and only you/the band your in have rights to it and no one else.

Then of course there are issues of past/former members owning rights to songs that others in the band wrote/played on, sometimes band members will sign their rights away to other band members, Guns N Roses and Startovarius both come to mind with such issues.

powerslave_85
06-25-2010, 07:59 AM
If not liking Muse makes me a loser, then loser me up.

The Green and Black
06-25-2010, 08:10 AM
If not liking Muse makes me a loser, then loser me up.

You have it backwards. It's liking Muse that makes one a loser. Loving Muse makes one a lost cause. :lol:

ravenheart
06-25-2010, 08:23 AM
Edit: Muse is gay

Nice addendum :lol:

Sanitarium78
06-25-2010, 09:43 AM
:lol: I was thinking the same thing. I know the same exact whole story as you just told, but not a fan of Jackson or The Beatles either!

It makes sense that we would both know the same story. I believe we're around the same age, so it's one of those memories from childhood we have that stays surpressed. Until one day someone brings the subject of McCartney/Jacko up and you're like "wait a second I know what happened here":D