PDA

View Full Version : Dream Theater -- Portland, OR -- June 21st, 2010

Surmounting Terror
06-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Dream Theater -- Portland, OR -- June 21st, 2010

Roseland Theater

Amazing Show! This was the first of DT's "One-off" shows between Iron Maiden Dates.

I arrived at the Roseland at 8pm and realized I should have shown up at least 30 min earlier. The place was packed.

At 8:45 the lights dimmed and the theme from Re-Animator began to play...

-Re-Animator Theme
1) Nightmare To Remember
2) Constant Motion
3) Hollow Years
4) The Mirror
5) Lie
6) A Rite Of Passage
7) Home
8) Panic Attack
9) As I Am
10) Pull Me Under
11) Metropolis Pt 1
---------------------
12) Count Of Tuscany :rocker::light:

DT Takes a bow
10:45

DT in an small venue... Awesome.

ScarsOfSymmetry
06-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Now thats more like it

Maiden33
06-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Nothing special setlist-wise, but it would be amazing to see them in a club. I'm so pissed I couldn't make it to the nearest show, even though it's hours from me.

andrew_metalhead
06-22-2010, 12:33 AM
Wow. Must have been awesome! :)

Altmer7989
06-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Why can't they always have sets like this?

Sanitarium78
06-22-2010, 05:51 AM
I like this set. It looks like there's no bullshitting around and they're just playing the songs, which is great. The only thing I would change is get Hollow Years out and put in something like Misunderstood or Solitary Shell in that spot. That way 6DOIT has a song in the set.

They've got a one off date in my town on July 5th. I'd be very happy if I get this set.

Indestructible
06-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Ill be happy with this set when i see them.

leglessmoof
06-22-2010, 07:14 AM
The setlist looks like a hybrid of the Progressive Nation 2009 setlist and their Iron Maiden opening setlist. Which is to be expected, since the last time they played in the Pacific Northwest was 2008.

I was considering traveling to one of their East Coast headlining shows in July, but for this setlist I probably won't travel. Don't get me wrong, it's a great setlist, and I would be absolutely satisfied to see them play that setlist in my town. I just don't think it's worth traveling for, since I've already seen all those songs at least twice (except for Hollow Years which I've only seen once). I was hoping for one of the other BC&SL songs, or the new song from God Of War 3, or "A Change of Seasons" or something. Granted, they could change up the setlist for the East Coast headlining shows, but I doubt that they will.

Chyck
06-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Granted, they could change up the setlist for the East Coast headlining shows, but I doubt that they will.

I hope they don't. I'm 100% going to the Worcester date, and think this would be a great set to see GA. I'm SO excited to see them NOT sitting in a chair :party:

BlackmoreOfBowling
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
I guess they dropped "Keyboard Solo" for good. *weeps*

PlaysWithKnives
06-22-2010, 11:24 AM
That's a great set by DT. A little variety. Every album represented except 6degrees. No time wasting keyboard solo. I can be anal about a few songs I love not being there. But that is good stuff. I hope they keep it similar when they come around these parts in a couple weeks

DethMaiden
06-22-2010, 11:26 AM
I guess they dropped "Keyboard Solo" for good. *weeps*

Jesus, why would that make you weep? The absolute worst thing about Dream Theater live is their boring-ass solos and jams.

Maiden33
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Jesus, why would that make you weep? The absolute worst thing about Dream Theater live is their boring-ass solos and jams.

Dude, every time I read one of your opinions about music I vomit in my mouth. You have no clue about true musicianship and real musical integrity. Bands should jam forever live with no regard for actual songs.

/Uncle_Meat1940.

Surmounting Terror
06-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Jesus, why would that make you weep? The absolute worst thing about Dream Theater live is their boring-ass solos and jams..

Jordan actually did a couple keyboard solos on his keytar but they were economical 90 second bits.

None of the solos overstayed their welcome.

Chyck
06-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Jordan actually did a couple keyboard solos on his keytar

That keytar? The epically cheesy SO VERY MEHTAHL keytar? I <3 that thing so hard. It deserves a solo spot all by itself.

Surmounting Terror
06-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I like this set. It looks like there's no bullshitting around and they're just playing the songs, which is great. The only thing I would change is get Hollow Years out and put in something like Misunderstood or Solitary Shell in that spot.

I really enjoyed Hollow Years. John's intro to HY was great.

I was hoping to hear Forsaken and Ministry Of Lost Souls from Systematic Chaos, possibly in place of CM, PA, or Nightmare.

But neither Forsaken nor MOLS have shown up in DT's sets lately so it was a long shot.

Maiden33
06-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Anyone have pictures?

gilpdawg
06-22-2010, 10:45 PM
Every album represented except 6degrees.
No Dream and Day Unite. :D I'll be at the Columbus show and I would be happy with this set, although I've pretty much seen every song in their catalog except for songs from BC&SL because I've seen them 12 times.

Also mildly surprised they didn't do their version of Stargazer as a Dio tribute.

JLRedWing13
06-23-2010, 12:42 AM
I'd like to see them headline sometime.

Sanitarium78
06-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I really enjoyed Hollow Years. John's intro to HY was great.

I like the song myself and have no problem with it being in the set. The reason I said I would take that out in favor of Misunderstood or Solitary Shell is because I think 6DOIT is a far superior album to FIF and should be represented in the set. I'll still take this set if they play it when I see them on July 5th.

Maiden33
06-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Just struck me as really odd that they're not playing Wither.

PlaysWithKnives
06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
No Dream and Day Unite. :D

I stand corrected. I haven't listened to that album in so long I forgot about. I can't remember the last time they even play anything from it live.

leglessmoof
06-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I stand corrected. I haven't listened to that album in so long I forgot about. I can't remember the last time they even play anything from it live.
April 1, 2006 which was the date the Score (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Score_(album)) DVD was filmed.

PlaysWithKnives
06-23-2010, 03:19 PM
April 1, 2006 which was the date the Score (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Score_(album)) DVD was filmed.

Yeah that's right. I never got around to getiing that DVD

Maiden33
06-23-2010, 03:49 PM

It's their best DVD.

And When Dream and Day Unite is my 3rd or 4th favorite DT album.

leglessmoof
06-23-2010, 03:59 PM
Overall it's a great DVD. The song selection is superb, as it is simultaneously unique, accessible (contains some "hits") and representative of their entire catalog. The band play their asses off and LaBrie's voice never sounded better.

My only complaint is really regarding the DVD format. They decided to put a lossless PCM audio track on the DVD, which is nice, but it takes up a lot of space. Because of this, the video quality suffers. There are noticeable compression artifacts, which I find very annoying. The video quality on the Budokan DVD was much better.

Now if they would hurry up and release it on Blu-ray, that ought to fix the problems!

gilpdawg
06-24-2010, 04:18 AM
It's their best DVD.

And When Dream and Day Unite is my 3rd or 4th favorite DT album.
The official bootleg "When Dream And Day Re-Unite" fucking smokes. The entire record, recorded live, with James on vocals, and the band is on fire. Also has bonus tracks with Charlie Dominici and Derek Sherinian guesting.

gilpdawg
06-24-2010, 04:20 AM
They've played The Killing Hand, Only a Matter of Time, and A Fortune of Lies quite a bit over the years, but not lately. The Killing Hand is one of my favorite DT songs.

zerkz
06-24-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm a big fan of the "A Change of Seasons". However, I'm pretty sure I'll never hear that one. I'm going to see Maiden and these guys here soon. I'd like to see the heavier "Honor Thy Father", but the way the setlist has been going, it probably won't happen. Disappointing seeing that it was one of their heaviest songs.

leglessmoof
06-24-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm a big fan of the "A Change of Seasons". However, I'm pretty sure I'll never hear that one. I'm going to see Maiden and these guys here soon. I'd like to see the heavier "Honor Thy Father", but the way the setlist has been going, it probably won't happen. Disappointing seeing that it was one of their heaviest songs.
They have to bring back "A Change of Seasons" at some point. Maybe for the next evening-with tour? Then again, they'll probably play the entire 12-Step Suite on the next evening-with tour, and they'll probably still want to play "The Count of Tuscany" too. So I doubt there would be time in the set for "A Change of Seasons".

I would love to see "Honor Thy Father" too. They played it occasionally during Gigantour 2005, but not at either of the two shows I went to. Bummer.

Maiden33
06-24-2010, 07:39 AM
More people in this thread need avatars. :lol:

Sanitarium78
06-24-2010, 10:03 AM
More people in this thread need avatars. :lol:

Be patient. I had been posting on here for like a year before I started using one:lol: