PDA

View Full Version : My Maiden 2010 road trip diary

PowerMaiden
06-20-2010, 04:46 PM
THE BEAVERS FINAL FRONT … TEETH Road Trip

Ok, for everyone who doesn’t know me very well, a quick wrap up. I’m 39 years old and I am an Iron Maiden fan since I’m 12. I’ve seen them 24 times so far and I have never missed a tour since World Slavery hit me right in the face back at the old Montreal forum on november 27 th, 1984. I am a big fanboy of theirs, enough to get the NOTB album tattooed on my shoulder and spend half of my awaken time listening to them. In my eyes all of their albums are excellent and seeing them in concert is the thing in life that brings me the closest to pure happiness.

So for the final Frontier tour, I took 2 weeks of vacation to be able to travel a bit. I’ll be seeing 6 shows this summer, 6 shows in 10 days, at the following places:

July 3 rd, Toronto - Molson amphitheater, section 203 row D
July 6 th, Ottawa - Le Breton Flats Park, V.I.P. Golden Circle era row 15
July 7 th, Montreal – Bell center, section 116 row DD
July 9th, Québec city – Les Plaines D’Abraham, GA
July 11th, Holmdel, PNC Bank Arts Center, section 103 row C
July 12 th, New York city, Madison Square Garden section 103 row B

Ps: I don’t go in the pits as I like to enjoy it without having to fight for my spot all the time, I'm too old for this ;)

So here is how it’s going to work for me:

Me and a bunch of Beavers (Quebecers hard core Maiden friends) are making the Toronto and New York trip with a mini bus that we are going to rent. So on friday July 2 nd, people who are not from around Montreal are going to arrive here, drink a few cold ones blasting Maiden and sleep at my house. We leave early saturday morning for Toronto, then IMOC meet up at The Loose Moose - Concert and we sleep there (Bond Hotel) and come back on the sunday.

For Ottawa we are going in 2 – 3 different cars or vans and we don’t sleep there since Montreal is the day after and we want to come back after the gig and sleep home. I bought expensive VIP tickets cause I’m bringing my 12 year old son to the gig so he won’t get pushed in front stage. I hope they’ll be worth it.

In Montreal ( it’s just near my home) I’ll be bringing my family: wife (it will be her 10 th Maiden concert) , my son (saw them ’06 & ’08 and the night before in Ottawa) and my 10 year old daughter (she saw them in ’08).

Québec city is also with the family and we sleep at the same hotel as the band so hopefully we can meet a few of them like in 2005 and 2006. The saturday morning after the show we come back to Montreal and take that minibus again en route to New York city Herald Square hotel for 3 nights.

We will surely spend the saturday night in some bar somewhere. Sunday is the train ride & shuttle bus drive to Holmdel in the afternoon for the gig (3 rd row in front ! as there is no pit section at PNC so we got lucky with those tickets !)(That’s the same place by the way where I went on stage in 2008, that PNC shed has given me good stuff !

Monday is the big all-you-can-eat-open-bar IMOC meet up at the infamous TWINS in NYC and then the concert. Back home (hopefully in one piece) on the thursday.

I really look forward to this trip and I will try to update you guys in this thread along the way when possible. If some of you are attending one of these gigs it will be my pleasure to meet you and say hi, maybe have a beer ! I will probably not be able to update on a day to day basis in the NYC trip but for the rest of it I’ll try my best.

P.S.:We started the BEAVERS gang in 2004 and since then we were fortunate enough to meet the band a few times (I even spent half an hour chatting with Rod in 2006!). They seem to have loved us since when we got the chance to spend an entire evening with them in 2006 in a Québec city bar. We got mentionned a few times by Rod in his diaries:

Québec 2006
After the show last night we all ended up in the hotel with the Beavers - you may recall the "where beavers dare" T shirt l put up amongst the pics the other day. Basically the beavers are a Maiden loving club of about 50 great guys in their 20s who come to most of the Canadian shows and make a special T for the event - they print one each and some for me and the band, which l wear with pride. The shirt for this tour is brilliant as you will see when l get the pics - "these beavers dont run"!! They had all booked into the hotel and were all in the bar so we took a group shot with Dave, Steve, Jan and the beavers which they are sending me to post here. We all had a good laugh in the bar. Like most Maiden fans they were a great group of guys (and a gal!) and l spent most of the time chatting to them. They took pains not to be too enthusiastic and gave the band some space and l definitely respect that. Its cool spending time with fans but not if they get too much in your face and too pushy. They even bought me a beer or two - thanks fellas.

Montreal 2008

(Rod) ''And the Beavers are from Montreal – yes, you know who you are."

(Steve)''It's very appropriate for us to play the final date of our Canada and USA tour in Quebec Province and we very much look forward to seeing all our fans there again, including those maniac Beavers!!!"

We always made a special t-shirt for every tour and this year it’s really a cool one. I’ll post pics latter.

Up The Irons !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

evildeadjedi
06-20-2010, 04:54 PM
That sounds awesome! I hope you have a fun and safe trip. Keep us posted on your experience at each date.:horns:

makethemsuffer12
06-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm going to be at the Jersey show as well, but back up in the lawn :(

JLRedWing13
06-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Awesome. Good luck and have fun! :D

FelipeTheFornicator
06-20-2010, 05:10 PM
sick plans! the moose is a great place too they have $2 Keith pints until 6pm during the WEEK!!! when i saw Sonata Arctica last we got tanked as shit at the moose and then hobbled over to the opera house to drink some more (with sonata)

you and i are going to be at some the same shows, Toronto and Ottawa, thats cool but im up at the front.

bon chance! bon voyage!

Maiden33
06-20-2010, 05:52 PM
As usual, just one show for me (insufficient funds), but I got GA Pit tickets and plan to make the most of the day! All 4 previous times I have seen Maiden have been amazing shows and amazing experiences where the entire day has lived pleasantly in my memory. Sounds cheesy, but it is what it is.

PowerMaiden
06-20-2010, 07:00 PM
within the remaining 12 days before friday the 2 nd, I'll be revisiting some of my pictures from past tours, maybe I'll post a few in here to help me past the time ...

let's start with our famous Beavers t-shirts...

2005 - Where Beavers Dare
http://i45.tinypic.com/2ros081.jpg

2006 - These Beavers Don't Run
http://i47.tinypic.com/ekf8mc.jpg

worn by Rod !
http://i47.tinypic.com/s2r4zm.jpg

2008 - Enter The Risen Beavers
http://i46.tinypic.com/2ytsfw1.jpg

I'll post the new one tomorrow, it's amazing !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
06-20-2010, 07:04 PM
in 2008 we did 5 shows in all but we were unable to print the dates in the back because of the shitty way they announced the gigs it's was impossible to know the dates well in advance

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Dextrimental
06-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Those shirts are awesome man! Homemade or do u bring the design to a shop and get them to print it?

Iv a mate whose seein five maiden shows this summer, one in MSG, then Wacken, Bruce Air package for Italy, Ireland and Sonisphere, hes a Miaiden die hard!

Someday I hope to do this for a band, it'd be Slayer if I could help it, but Maiden would also be awesome :D

Enjoy the shows! If you see any of the Maiden boys tell them Ireland is gonna be ready for em ;)

SomewhereInTime72
06-20-2010, 08:17 PM
You are so awesome at being a Maiden fan.

mankvill
06-20-2010, 08:41 PM
This is so awesome. Adopt me.

Also: DAMN YOU OLD

evildeadjedi
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Very creative shirts! :) :horns:

DethMaiden
06-21-2010, 01:02 PM
You assholes were all in front of me at the Toronto gig in March 2008. And I drove 7 hours and still got there 8 hours early! :mad:

rjturtle9
06-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Where can I join ;)

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 01:03 PM
bring the design to a shop and get them to print it?

this

also a big lol to SomewhereInTime72 & mankvill :lol:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
06-21-2010, 01:03 PM
That's awesome that you're going to all these shows. The shirts are great as well:rocker: Unfortunately I only have the money to see Maiden once this summer but it's better than nothing.

I still think they have a few tours left in them though. Maybe I should start saving up now so I can do something like this next time Maiden comes around. PowerMaiden you are a true inspiration and make me wanna be a bigger Iron Maiden fan than I already am:party:

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
You assholes were all in front of me at the Toronto gig in March 2008. And I drove 7 hours and still got there 8 hours early! :mad:

FTTB, all uf us seem to have won this thing, I wonder why ?

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 01:08 PM
here is this summer t-shirt !

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee329/Maiden2k/t-shirt.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 01:10 PM
That's awesome that you're going to all these shows. The shirts are great as well:rocker: Unfortunately I only have the money to see Maiden once this summer but it's better than nothing.

I still think they have a few tours left in them though. Maybe I should start saving up now so I can do something like this next time Maiden comes around. PowerMaiden you are a true inspiration and make me wanna be a bigger Iron Maiden fan than I already am:party:

I have a bank account (My Iron Maiden account) that I put money in it every week so I'm able to do things like that, some people fish, others hunt, ski or golf, I go to Iron Maiden concerts !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

rjturtle9
06-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I have a bank account (My Iron Maiden account) that I put money in it every week so I'm able to do things like that, some people fish, others hunt, ski or golf, I go to Iron Maiden concerts !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

:rocker: I shall start my own Maiden fund!

evildeadjedi
06-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Final Front....Teeth :lol:

Maiden33
06-21-2010, 01:25 PM
For once, this year it's actually worth going to multiple Maiden shows because you'll actually see some different stuff. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love going to Maiden shows, but even with all the money in the world, I couldn't justify going to more than maybe 2 on each tour leg.

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 01:34 PM
For once, this year it's actually worth going to multiple Maiden shows because you'll actually see some different stuff. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love going to Maiden shows, but even with all the money in the world, I couldn't justify going to more than maybe 2 on each tour leg.

I get that comment a lot from co-workers or familly members that are not into Maiden ''You're going to see the same show 6 times ?''

For me every Maiden show is different even with the same setlist, there is always something special in an Iron Maiden concert. The excitement is ALWAYS there for me so it's worth the money. 6 shows is the most I ever did for one tour, before that was 5 for the SBIT tour. but usually it's around 3 per tour. This year we decided to abuse a bit hahaha & we have a little rotation for DOD & Paschendale that's a bonus.

but yeah, I get that comment a lot, I didn't think I would get it here though ...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2010, 01:39 PM
here is this summer t-shirt !

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee329/Maiden2k/t-shirt.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

You know, those who don't know much about Maiden might take the "Got Smallwood?" part out of context. :lol:

Maiden33
06-21-2010, 01:47 PM
I get that comment a lot from co-workers or familly members that are not into Maiden ''You're going to see the same show 6 times ?''

For me every Maiden show is different even with the same setlist, there is always something special in an Iron Maiden concert. The excitement is ALWAYS there for me so it's worth the money. 6 shows is the most I ever did for one tour, before that was 5 for the SBIT tour. but usually it's around 3 per tour. This year we decided to abuse a bit hahaha & we have a little rotation for DOD & Paschendale that's a bonus.

but yeah, I get that comment a lot, I didn't think I would get it here though ...

Well, don't think I'm giving that comment to you because I'm your average friend/coworker who close-mindedly believes every show is exactly the same, I know they're not, even when they have the same setlist. But the subtle differences to me don't really facilitate seeing a show that many times. Out of pure enjoyment of live music I'll go see a band two or three times with the same setlist, if the logistics are reasonable and the shows are affordable. But that many shows that far apart at that cost... yeah, not gonna happen.

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Well, don't think I'm giving that comment to you because I'm your average friend/coworker who close-mindedly believes every show is exactly the same, I know they're not, even when they have the same setlist. But the subtle differences to me don't really facilitate seeing a show that many times. Out of pure enjoyment of live music I'll go see a band two or three times with the same setlist, if the logistics are reasonable and the shows are affordable. But that many shows that far apart at that cost... yeah, not gonna happen.

glad you pointing out the co$t of a road trip like that in to consideration, that's totaly understandable to me. Because in your previous post you said ''Even with all the money in the world''. If I would have all the money in the world I would probably follow them for a whole frigging tour, what better way to discover the world than travelling to follow Maiden on a tour. Also meeting all kinds of Maiden fan everywhere is really fun too !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 04:11 PM
You know, those who don't know much about Maiden might take the "Got Smallwood?" part out of context. :lol:

yeah probably hahaha ! but has a Beaver I have to ask if you have wood !!:D

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2010, 04:20 PM
yeah probably hahaha ! but has a Beaver I have to ask if you have wood !!:D

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Hahaha. Beavers and Smallwood all the way...:eyes:

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Hahaha. Beavers and Smallwood all the way...:eyes:

maybe the picture doesn't give it justice but the 'small' is in a different font & shape than the Got Wood ? exactly to show Maiden fans the subtilities of it. As for people who don't really know Maiden ... well they can think what they want for all I care

Cheerrs !
PowerMaiden

mankvill
06-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Would you come to KC to see Maiden? :3

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Would you come to KC to see Maiden? :3

if I would have the money, time and if they ever to play there again, sure, why not ?

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

mankvill
06-21-2010, 04:38 PM
if I would have the money, time and if they ever to play there again, sure, why not ?

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

:party:

I'll take you out for BBQ

PowerMaiden
06-21-2010, 04:39 PM

I'll take you out for BBQ

great, I'll bring the beer, some Canadian beer ! Labatt Blue !!

Cheers !@
PowerMaiden

JLRedWing13
06-21-2010, 06:39 PM
The shirts are epic win. I'm in awe of your dedication to one of the best bands ever. :horns:

IrritatedTrout
06-25-2010, 11:02 AM
6 gigs is awesome. The most times I've ever seen Maiden on a single tour was twice for SBIT so I'm really looking forward to the four shows I'm doing this summer. Maybe I'll see you in Jersey or NYC.

PowerMaiden
06-27-2010, 09:16 AM
getting pretty exited now !!

5 days (6 till first show)

here's a pic of our 2008 Beavers Force 1
http://i50.tinypic.com/70xlxt.jpg

this year should be even more fun with a minibus

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JLRedWing13
06-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Nice touch with the tour dates on the window. :D

evildeadjedi
06-27-2010, 09:25 AM
getting pretty exited now !!

5 days (6 till first show)

here's a pic of our 2008 Beavers Force 1
http://i50.tinypic.com/70xlxt.jpg

this year should be even more fun with a minibus

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Yes!

minibus > soccer mom van

PowerMaiden
06-29-2010, 11:02 AM
from IMOC:

I have it from a good source that you will not hear Paschendale again on this tour...someone prefers Dance of death..

:mad:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Crionics
06-29-2010, 11:20 AM
from IMOC:

I have it from a good source that you will not hear Paschendale again on this tour...someone prefers Dance of death..

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Damnit!

makethemsuffer12
06-29-2010, 11:23 AM
from IMOC:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I swear to God if this is true I will fucking kill somebody.

powerslave_85
06-29-2010, 11:25 AM
So it looks like mine was the last show to get Paschendale.

:party: :party:

Crionics
06-29-2010, 11:29 AM
So it looks like mine was the last show to get Paschendale.

:party: :party:

:finger::hmm:

Sanitarium78
06-29-2010, 12:31 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I swear to God if this is true I will fucking kill somebody.

Well, you might wanna decide who that somebody is gonna be because DOD has been in the last 3 or 4 sets now.

makethemsuffer12
06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
KILL STEVE HARRIS. KILL STEVE HARRIS.

IrritatedTrout
06-29-2010, 01:05 PM
:flame:

PowerMaiden
06-29-2010, 01:10 PM
it's really a damn shame because for the first time in their carreer they were doing a switch and first thing you know it's off.

For everyone who were seeing multiple shows at least you had the chance of hearing both. I'm really dissapointed at that too

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

IrritatedTrout
06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
The east coast dates need to hurry up and get here, the set has gotten worse and worse as the tour has progressed.

PowerMaiden
06-29-2010, 01:18 PM
The east coast dates need to hurry up and get here, the set has gotten worse and worse as the tour has progressed.

well imho DOD and Paschendale are pretty much at the same level of greatness live so I wouldn't say the set is getting worse. The trade of Brighter for Wrathchild after the first show however was indeed a very bad move

Cheers !!
PowerMaiden

Crionics
06-29-2010, 01:23 PM

Their going to swap Ghost of the Navigator for The Apparition!

SomewhereInTime72
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
from IMOC:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Are you fucking shitting me... :mad:

Leave it to Maiden to take out 2 of the 4 songs I was most looking forward to.

JRA
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
from IMOC:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

That's...shitty. I always thought that was the one reunion song everybody agreed was awesome!

idrinkwine732
06-29-2010, 03:23 PM
That's...shitty. I always thought that was the one reunion song everybody agreed was awesome!

Fairly unanimously in the top 3 or 4 reunion songs. I have yet to hear a person really say they don't love Paschendale.

IrritatedTrout
06-29-2010, 03:46 PM
well imho DOD and Paschendale are pretty much at the same level of greatness live so I wouldn't say the set is getting worse. The trade of Brighter for Wrathchild after the first show however was indeed a very bad move

Cheers !!
PowerMaiden

I love DOD too but I'd still say Paschendale is a little better.

rjturtle9
06-29-2010, 03:47 PM
I got Paschendale :D

I can believe that they are taking it out of the set though. When I saw them live, they fucked up a lot, plus Bruce was off on the lyrics in parts.

Maiden33
06-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Like we need to wonder who "that person" is. :tp:

I've said this before. Steve Harris is the #1 person keeping Maiden from reaching their potential these days. I'm not passing premature judgment on the new album, but based on everything I've heard regarding writing, recording, and playing live - people like Bruce and Adrian are about 10x more "on their game" than Steve is. They're the only ones preventing new Maiden material from being totally bogged down in over-repetativeness. Though I think it's a few steps shy of a perfect (or even really, really great) record, Tyranny of Souls (and the last several Bruce solo albums) were a helluva lot more inventive than anything Maiden's doing these days. And the most repetative songs on each album are always the ones Steve writes alone. There's been discussion in other threads about Steve's nearly dictator-like hold over the live sets, and this just goes further to prove how it's probably hurting them much more than it's helping them.

Furthermore, all this shit is doing is annoying the crap out of the people who actually liked/loved this setlist.

And to think, I actually don't care what song(s) I hear at my (now two) shows. Imagine how much of a rant I'd produce if I really cared. :eyes:

Maiden33
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
And regarding live sloppiness: Maiden these days are never as tight as they should be, which is why they cut corners like they are now. As a musician, it's really fucking annoying to hear and see them messing things up that could be easily rectified. I have NO doubt that they dumped Brighter Than a Thousand Suns because they constantly fuck up that 7/4 section, not to mention I've seen/heard multiple bootlegs from the '06 tour where they cut half of Adrian's guiar solo out without warning and went straight into the fast section. So... what's easier to play than Wrathchild? Not much. Given that Paschendale is without a doubt the most complex song in the setlist, and I've heard they've fucked up parts of it live, I'm sure this is just more laziness making their decisions for them. I've come to the realization that the only reason they don't play old, rare songs is because everyone would have to re-learn them and they're not willing to go through the work. :(

powerslave_85
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah, ever since at least Powerslave the songs Adrian and Bruce collaborate on have been some of their best. Dave comes up with some good stuff, too.

PowerMaiden
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
sadly I have to agree with pretty much everything you said Maiden33, with the exeption of this:

: Maiden these days are never as tight as they should be

they always are THE BAND to see live, they fucking destroys everything. But like I said you are probably right in 90% of your past 2 posts and that's probably why they've decided to chop Paschendale out. I still hope it's not true though ... damn it ! for once they were rotating 2 songs, that was soo refreshing

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

IrritatedTrout
06-29-2010, 04:44 PM
I've always loved Maiden and how they pride themselves on being a "live band" so this laziness is a real shame. I don't love them any less but I wish they didn't take the easy route, it's unbecoming.

JRA
06-29-2010, 05:04 PM
Man what is the world coming to? Steve Harris is ruining Iron Maiden and George Lucas is ruining Star Wars! Sounds to me like people need to start an entertainment terrorist organization to kill celebrities when they get out of line and stop doing what their fans tell them to do. I bet if we sent a dead baby's decapitated head along with a copy of edit:hahadisregardthatisuckcocks Pleasure To Kill to Lars Ulrich's house in 1996, Re-load would have been a death metal album and Metallica would have started doing corpse-paint photoshoots.

I've come to the realization that the only reason they don't play old, rare songs is because everyone would have to re-learn them and they're not willing to go through the work. :(

I agreed with everything you said up until this point. I would be willing to agree with this, if it weren't for the fact that they brought out Rime of The Ancient Mariner. There's no way in hell rehearsing that one was easy.

makethemsuffer12
06-29-2010, 05:16 PM
I bet if we sent a dead baby's decapitated head along with a copy of Darkness Descends to Lars Ulrich's house in 1996, Re-load would have been a death metal album and Metallica would have started doing corpse-paint photoshoots.

I'm sure he already owns a copy of Darkness Descends. Where do you think he got the drumbeat to One from?;)

Sanitarium78
06-29-2010, 05:29 PM
If the rotation had stayed I would've got Paschendale at my show. I was looking forward to that song more than any other one:mad: DOD is still a cool tune though but Paschendale is the masterpiece of the reunion era.

They did it on the entire DOD tour and made it through. I don't recall the version on DOTR being off at all. I wonder what's changed in terms of performance between now and then that would constitute them dropping it completely? You would think after a few performances of it the hiccups would work themselves out the more they played it.

I know the song is complicated but is it anymore complicated musically than DOD? Don't they have to bust out the acoustic guitar for that one?

JRA
06-29-2010, 05:34 PM
I'm sure he already owns a copy of Darkness Descends. Where do you think he got the drumbeat to One from?;)

:lol: :lol: Touche, good sir.

idrinkwine732
06-29-2010, 05:50 PM
sadly I have to agree with pretty much everything you said Maiden33, with the exeption of this:

they always are THE BAND to see live, they fucking destroys everything. But like I said you are probably right in 90% of your past 2 posts and that's probably why they've decided to chop Paschendale out. I still hope it's not true though ... damn it ! for once they were rotating 2 songs, that was soo refreshing

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I agree with you when you say they are THE BAND to see live, but that doesn't mean they can't be better. I have a feeling like they have more in them than they are letting out, but that doesn't mean I didn't have the time of my life last week, and won't have the time of my life when I see them at MSG.

IrritatedTrout
06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
If the rotation had stayed I would've got Paschendale at my show. I was looking forward to that song more than any other one:mad: DOD is still a cool tune though but Paschendale is the masterpiece of the reunion era.

They did it on the entire DOD tour and made it through. I don't recall the version on DOTR being off at all. I wonder what's changed in terms of performance between now and then that would constitute them dropping it completely? You would think after a few performances of it the hiccups would work themselves out the more they played it.

I know the song is complicated but is it anymore complicated musically than DOD? Don't they have to bust out the acoustic guitar for that one?

Bruce messes up the chorus on DOTR but other than that it's fine.

es156
06-29-2010, 09:07 PM
from IMOC:

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:foaming:

:axe:

makethemsuffer12
06-29-2010, 09:31 PM
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

:foaming:

:axe:

As I have previously stated;

KILL STEVE HARRIS. KILL STEVE HARRIS. KILL HIS ENTIRE FAMILY, EXCEPT FOR HIS DAUGHTERS.

JRA
06-29-2010, 09:35 PM
As I have previously stated;

KILL STEVE HARRIS. KILL STEVE HARRIS. KILL HIS ENTIRE FAMILY, EXCEPT FOR HIS DAUGHTERS.

http://memegenerator.net/Awesome-Zilla/ImageMacro/909180/Awesome-Zilla-hey-insanity-wolf-calm-the-fuck-down-now.jpg

makethemsuffer12
06-29-2010, 09:41 PM
^
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/7/15/633517234331751891-Insane-Kitteh---The-voices-are-telling-me-to-kill-you---Moticats.jpg

Maiden33
06-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Well...

1) Sloppiness =/= bad live band. Some of the best and most entertaining live bands on the planet are not note-perfect, and Maiden are a great example of this. Dream Theater's live musicianship annihilates Maiden's, but Maiden's show is about a lot more than that, which makes it as great as it is.

2) @JRA: Fair point about Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but that song isn't nearly as complex as a lot of people think it is, given them length. 75% of it is pretty much the same stuff repeated. It doesn't have a damn thing on songs like Paschendale, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, Sign of the Cross, etc.

SomewhereInTime72
06-30-2010, 08:18 AM
2) @JRA: Fair point about Rime of the Ancient Mariner, but that song isn't nearly as complex as a lot of people think it is, given them length. 75% of it is pretty much the same stuff repeated. It doesn't have a damn thing on songs like Paschendale, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, Sign of the Cross, etc.

Or Alexander the Great... :hmm:

PowerMaiden
07-01-2010, 10:48 AM
2 days till Toronto !!!!

my 2 cents on the setlist now ... (just for the fun of it)

In my humble opinion, in my own taste, the Dance Of Death album is the lesser good of the 3 reunion album.

I'm going ape shit over:

Dance Of Death, Paschendale and Face In The Sand , that's it, therefore any of those 3 songs in a setlist will please me. But we all know that FITS will never be played.

Then you have the goods songs : No More Lies, Rainmaker and Montségur

the rest: Wildest Dreams,Gates Of Tomorrow, New Frontier, Age Of Inocence and Journeyman are really bellow average if not absolute fillers to me

so for me the rotation was a great thing that they've pulled away, I still feel like I'm going to have the time of my life at the concerts but if I would have my way of convincing 'Arry to do something about it. It will be to put Brighter back in. That song was so perfect in the 3 rd spot. A killer !!! Then put the Pasch\DOD rotation back in. Drop Wildest Dreams for a classic like The Trooper and since Rod said that they switched Brighter for Wratchild 'for a more balanced set' well, instead of No More Lies which I could easilly go without since there are so many post 2000 songs in this set. I would rotate anoter classic a re-arrange just a little bit the pacing like this

1. The Wicker Man
2. Ghost Of The Navigator
3. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
4. El Dorado
5. Dance Of Death - Paschendale (rotation)
6. The Trooper
7. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
8. These Colours Don't Run
9. Blood Brothers
10. Infinite Dreams - Phantom Of The Opera (rotation)
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

14. The Number Of The Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

see nothing complicated and everybody would shit their pants with this set. No matter what combinations with the 4 songs rotating you would get. Also that would avoid me to have a kind of a weaker moment in the set with WD & NML and the crowd to be on their toes for all the gig

aahhhh if only ....

that said, Screaaaaam For Me Torontoooo

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Dissimulate
07-01-2010, 10:31 PM
A Maiden live show is always going to be amazing. That being said, their setlist for this tour could use work. The Wicker Man and Ghost both work great as an opener. While Brighter is a much better song Wrathchild at least carries on the energy. El Dorado works great live and will probably become a staple reunion era song. Dance of Death, while not on the level of Paschendale, is still a good song, and provides a nice bit of contrast by being slower and more atmospheric. The set really hits a snag at The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg. They should NOT follow one epic slow song with another. As well, the song does not translate nearly as well live as it does on record.

These Colours is one of my favourite reunion songs and fits decently, but again it is another moodier song. Something like The Trooper or even Wrathchild would be better here, giving the audience some energy back. Blood Brothers is good, a very nice "arena" song. Wildest Dreams in theory would make for a nice energetic song, but in reality it just sucks. No More Lies sucks as well, and this set does not need another long song with a slow buildup bogging it down. Brave New World is good and well placed before Fear of the Dark. Everything after is standard Maiden, all amazing songs, except for Running Free, which is mediocre but Bruce's banter makes it worth it.

What I would do as a set:
1. Wickerman
2. Ghost of the Navigator
3. Brighter Than A Thousand Suns
4. El Dorado
5. Paschendale (DOD just doesn't compare)
6. The Longest Day (the epic buildup in this one actually works)
7.The Trooper (uplifting song after two moodier long ones)
8. These Colours Don't Run
9. The Nomad ("rare" reunion era song, rather hear this than Blood Brothers)
10. IDK here, another BNW or AMOLAD song. If they need to maintain balance between albums, play Montsegur or something
11. Rainmaker (much better than NML, was one of the singles)
12. Brave New World
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden
ENCORE
15. Number of the Beast
16. Running Free (Bruce can introduce the band members here)
17. Hallowed Be Thy Name (their best song for closing a set)

EDIT: PowerMaiden, what you guys are doing is totally badass.

idrinkwine732
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
9. The Nomad ("rare" reunion era song, rather hear this than Blood Brothers)

Blood Brothers was the highlight of the night for me, and the best experience I've ever had in a crowd. Hearing that chant was spine tingling.

rjturtle9
07-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Blood Brothers was the highlight of the night for me, and the best experience I've ever had in a crowd. Hearing that chant was spine tingling.

So true, that was the best song of the night, and there were many others I was more excited for.

InPatient5100
07-02-2010, 07:02 AM
So true, that was the best song of the night, and there were many others I was more excited for.

I thought Blood Brothers was good but not the best

makethemsuffer12
07-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Am I the only one here that really likes "Wildest Dreams" and "No More Lies?" :eyes:

IrritatedTrout
07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
I love No More Lies.

powerslave_85
07-02-2010, 08:54 AM
No More Lies is alright, but it drags down a set that's already heavy with slower songs.

And the Nomad would be much worse in that regard.

JRA
07-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Am I the only one here that really likes "Wildest Dreams" and "No More Lies?" :eyes:

Wildest Dreams is awesome, but I liked No More Lies better when it was called The Clansman.

PowerMaiden
07-02-2010, 10:45 AM
my tour starts today, my friends are coming soon, BBQ, beer, Maiden and tomorrow off to Toronto !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

InPatient5100
07-02-2010, 11:39 AM
have fun bro!

PowerMaiden
07-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Up The Fucking Irons !!!

http://i47.tinypic.com/20h5w6u.jpg

Cheers !
powerMaiden

SomewhereInTime72
07-02-2010, 11:02 PM

Both are great songs, but they really are probably 2 of the least awesome tracks on DOD.

Maiden33
07-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Both are great songs, but they really are probably 2 of the least awesome tracks on DOD.

Yeah, this. Neither is in running for my "Bottom 2" on that album, but they might be ranked 8th and 9th out of the 11. They have nothing on Paschendale, Dance of Death, Rainmaker, and the ridiculously underrated Face in the Sand.

powerslave_85
07-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Up The Fucking Irons !!!

Cheers !
powerMaidenHoly shit, it's Nancy!! :eek: :party:

makethemsuffer12
07-03-2010, 07:21 AM
I want Paschendale back... :bouville:

SirLardsAlot
07-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Holy shit, it's Nancy!! :eek: :party:

There's someone I haven't thought of in forever, hahaha.

JRA
07-03-2010, 09:52 PM
There's someone I haven't thought of in forever, hahaha.

I don't even remember who that is. :eyes:

SirLardsAlot
07-03-2010, 09:56 PM
I don't even remember who that is. :eyes:

Chimaera from the old IMBB.

PowerMaiden
07-04-2010, 12:29 PM
and the ridiculously underrated Face in the Sand.

your face is ridiculous

just got home:

show last night in Toronto was mindblowing, crowd was on top of their feet all night, I went to pee during Wildest Dreams but the rest of the songs are fucking brutal for your nervous system. Wildest Dreams probably is too, shame on me. They are still on top of their game. Amazing how these bunch of 50 years olds can turn a place up side down like that. There are way too many hightlights for me to mention but the dedication of Blood Brothers to us & to Dio was pretty emotional. The stage is way nicer that all the pics I've seen, when you see it for real it's really cool. One of us caught Steve wristband and one Adrian's. I didn't heard 1 single complain about the setlist.

heres a pic we just took when we arrive home (and yeah Nancy is the one behind the wheel on that pic)
http://i45.tinypic.com/50ftie.jpg

next stop: Ottawa !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

DethMaiden
07-04-2010, 12:35 PM
your face is ridiculous

:lol: :lol:

PowerMaiden
07-04-2010, 06:47 PM
nice IMOC meet up at the Loose Moose before the show, blasting Maiden, cold beer, nice prizes to be won , we even got to meet a very special Canadian Mounty !

http://i49.tinypic.com/aua351.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
07-06-2010, 07:15 AM
SCREAAAAAM FOR ME OTTAWAAAAA !!!!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

DethMaiden
07-06-2010, 07:57 AM
nice IMOC meet up at the Loose Moose before the show, blasting Maiden, cold beer, nice prizes to be won , we even got to meet a very special Canadian Mounty !

http://i49.tinypic.com/aua351.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Hey, I've been to the Loose Moose!

b_halperin
07-07-2010, 04:53 AM
Damn, I hope someday to do something like this. Looks so kickass! :rocker:

PowerMaiden
07-07-2010, 08:01 AM
Fucking brillant show last night in Ottawa under extreme heat, since it's a festival we had about an hour of delay instead of the usual 20-25 minutes between Dream Theater and Maiden as there was another show at the other end of the site, wonder who it was ? Anyway, everything went well with the 2 hours drive to go and to come back, my expensive 160 $ Golden circle VIP tickets were well worth it as we were really close to the stage on Jan's side, we had private bar & batrooms. 20,000 people were there last night so I was happy that almost no lines ups whatsoever. We were literally sweating like pigs all night long, my son who's 12 was fucking rocking , jumping and screaming all night. He made me proud

Band was as usual, FUCKING MINDBLOWING !!!

a few quick pics and I'm off ...

the 3 amigos
http://i48.tinypic.com/2ajqn38.jpg

in our seat wich as soon as Maiden came we would never use again
http://i49.tinypic.com/zy9i7n.jpg

Scream For Me Ottawa
http://i45.tinypic.com/zn5644.jpg

Good boy !
http://i46.tinypic.com/10726ap.jpg

yours truly
http://i50.tinypic.com/dvszed.jpg

my home town Montreal Tonight !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
and the ridiculously underrated Face in the Sand.

please accept my apologies MAIDEN33 I just re read my thread I realize you wrote UNDERATED when I read OVERATED because I'm too fucking exited to read peoples things correctly, blame it on Maiden

anyway, I'm really sorry again

Screaaaaaaam For Me Montreal !!!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

evildeadjedi
07-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I see "the beaver crew" has decreased, are there going to be different people attending Montreal?

PowerMaiden
07-08-2010, 08:11 AM
I see "the beaver crew" has decreased, are there going to be different people attending Montreal?

no no no it's just that for Ottawa we were going in all diferrent car our separate ways

Last night show in Montreal was the best of the 3 so far, crowd was fucking nuts and loud, and the band always seems to push a bit more when they play Montreal or Québec city, last night was the case again. And we, the crowd, give them back energy.

I'm dead so pics will have to wait, funny thing to mention was when Dream theater started their set the first song ''As I Am'' well they lost power for a good 10-15 minutes right in the middle of the song. only Portnoy stayed on the drums he played half of ''Run To The Hills'' on drums only we were singing along. That was the best part of the 3 DT shows I saw, what a boring band live.

Tomorrow off to Québec city where it will probably be the biggest Maiden crowd I have ever been a part off & saturday morning we leave for the US so I dont think I'll post again until next tuesday when I come back home

Up The Fucking Irons

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
pro shot footage of parts of Wicky & Ghost (just clic on Iron Maiden) : http://showbizz.webpresse.ca/

a few beavers on the rail:
http://www.metaluniverse.net/compterendu/data/media/3237/maiden-22.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
07-09-2010, 04:25 AM
not mine but my buddy Ben (2 nd one one the previous pic) got lucky so far ...

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1633/p1080967.jpg

off to Québec city now ...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

PowerMaiden
07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
a quick (and important) pic from my buddy's laptop in the QC hotel room

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee329/Maiden2k/IMG_0692.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
07-09-2010, 11:57 AM

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

:metal::bowdown:

evildeadjedi
07-09-2010, 03:13 PM
no no no it's just that for Ottawa we were going in all diferrent car our separate ways

Last night show in Montreal was the best of the 3 so far, crowd was fucking nuts and loud, and the band always seems to push a bit more when they play Montreal or Québec city, last night was the case again. And we, the crowd, give them back energy.

I'm dead so pics will have to wait, funny thing to mention was when Dream theater started their set the first song ''As I Am'' well they lost power for a good 10-15 minutes right in the middle of the song. only Portnoy stayed on the drums he played half of ''Run To The Hills'' on drums only we were singing along. That was the best part of the 3 DT shows I saw, what a boring band live.

Tomorrow off to Québec city where it will probably be the biggest Maiden crowd I have ever been a part off & saturday morning we leave for the US so I dont think I'll post again until next tuesday when I come back home

Up The Fucking Irons

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Oh okay, that's what I figured, but was not sure. Woah! Sounds pretty cool I hope someone recorded some of video of this show.

Drive safe man can't wait to hear about QC!

Up the irons :horns:

mankvill
07-09-2010, 03:15 PM

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

SSSSSSSSHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

JRA
07-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Well done, bro!

Also, Final Front Teeth? :lol: :fist:

mankvill
07-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Well done, bro!

Also, Final Front Teeth? :lol: :fist:

beavers!

PowerMaiden
07-10-2010, 07:06 AM
back home after an historical night in Québec city last night

80,000 STRONG QUÉBECERS !!!

bigest Maiden show ever in N.A. the band was on fire even more than usual if that's possible. I was with my kids & my beavers comrades maybe at 150 feet of the stage. There was 3/4 of that huge crowd behind me. You could see that Bruce (who told us at least 10 times '' 80,000 personnes sont ici ce soir'' and Steve at the end was really emotional too. super show !! shivers down my spine all night

Almost as big as Donington when you think of it :drool:

maybe I'll se a couple of you in Holmdel & MSG, watch out !! Beavers are coming to town !!!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

SirLardsAlot
07-12-2010, 11:33 AM
AH! Yesterday I was hanging out by the merch stand before the show started and I saw a small group of the Beavers. I didn't see you though, PowerMaiden, so I didn't walk over to them. But I swear I saw Nancy with them, and I said her name a few times (I was like 5 feet away) but she didn't look, so I said fuck it haha.

PowerMaiden
07-14-2010, 07:14 AM
too bad buddy .... would have loved to see you, we were hanging out around the stand I was probably not far...

I did met a Metalsetlister before the show & my friend took a picture of me & him, I'll upload it as soon as I get it. The only thing is I thought he said he was es156 but now that I went checking his profile I'M not sure anymore. 3 rd row in front I was over exited (not like the first 2 rows of people who did not put their fucking hands in the air the whole damn show :confused: ) so maybe I misheard his name, who are you buddy ???

I'll take a bit of time with my familly but I'll try to do a quick review of my us trip. we sure a blast !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

es156
07-14-2010, 09:47 AM
too bad buddy .... would have loved to see you, we were hanging out around the stand I was probably not far...

I did met a Metalsetlister before the show & my friend took a picture of me & him, I'll upload it as soon as I get it. The only thing is I thought he said he was es156 but now that I went checking his profile I'M not sure anymore. 3 rd row in front I was over exited (not like the first 2 rows of people who did not put their fucking hands in the air the whole damn show :confused: ) so maybe I misheard his name, who are you buddy ???

I'll take a bit of time with my familly but I'll try to do a quick review of my us trip. we sure a blast !!

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Yes, that was me. Great to finally meet you after all of these years. Both the PNC and MSG shows were amazing!

PowerMaiden
08-15-2010, 07:10 PM
I didn't really finish my road trip diary & I will probably won't (too lasy) but I had a blast at the 2 U.S. shows I was at & also the Twins meet up in NYC was a blast. I thought that the MSG crowd was really dead but Holmdel was decent at least. Nothing comparing to the Québecois crowd, if you guys ever have a chance to come and see 'em in Canada don't even hesitate ...especially in the Québec province

anyway heres the pic of us Eric, I also have sent it to you by e-mail

es156 & PowerMaiden ready to rock !

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6149/es156powermaiden.jpg

Cheers !
PowerMaiden