9. Wildest Dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

14. The Number of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

My ears are ringing out of control, I'm exhausted, and I can barely walk. I don't care though, cause pit tickets to an Iron Maiden concert are worth it all. This was the first time I had pit tickets to any concert, and I couldn't have been happier with 'em. We got to the venue about an hour after the doors had opened, and were shocked to find that the pit area was not crowded at all. We settled on the far right corner, either on, or just behind the rail, and waited about 30 minutes for Dream Theater to come out.

I'm hardly the biggest fan of Dream Theater's music, but they did a superb job as Maiden's introduction. Being within feet of John Petrucci made me realize just how close to the stage we had gotten, and how amazing Iron Maiden was going to be. The only Dream Theater songs from the set I knew were Panic Attack and Pull Me Under, but I enjoyed the others. Some got to be a bit on the long side (which shouldn't surprise anyone), but it was still a great performance. They beat Lauren Harris in everything except looks and relation to Steve.

After Pull Me Under ended, the great wait began. As the pit became more crowded, you could feel the tension grow. Rainbow in the Dark came over the PA, and a pretty good "DIO!" chant broke out through the crowd. Kudos fans, kudos. As the lights fell on a warm, Arizona day, Doctor Doctor came over the speakers, and everyone was ready for the ride of their life. A series of space related videos came on the screen, and the eagerness of the crowd rose every second Maiden didn't emerge from backstage. When they finally did, all hell broke loose, and The Wickerman was here.

Starting with The Wickerman and Ghost of the Navigator made for a terrific opening. I was a bit surprised by how many people knew the words to the songs, but I guess most people in the pit are fairly hardcore fans. Wrathchild got a great crowd response, El Dorado was better live than on the album, and Dance of Death was epic (I know it isn't Paschendale, but it still kicks ass). Pretty badass Grim Reaper backdrop for it. No one went to crazy over Breeg, but Colours got people going again.

Blood Brothers was for sure a highlight from the show. Thousands of fans screaming the chorus at the top of their lungs is something special. While I don't agree with the choice of the next two Dance of Death songs (Give me Rainmaker and Paschendale, dammit!), they were still pretty good, although I'd say No More Lies was probably my least favorite song from the evening. Finishing off the bunch of post reunion era songs, Brave New World got the audience excited again, and Fear of the Dark only made them crazier. As Space Zombie Eddie and Iron Maiden closed the main set, the crowd was only getting more into it.

The Number of the Beast by far had the best response, as classic Maiden dominated the encore. Hallowed was amazing as usual, and Running Free was a damn good way to close the show. If I had to pick one song that was my favorite...I'd have to go with Ghost of the Navigator, although all of the Brave New World tracks were amazing.

This experience was worth every penny of the 120 bucks I paid for it. 10/10, will see again for sure.

rjturtle9
06-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Great finally someone wrote a review. Great job man :cool:

I can't wait for this. I see them next show :party::party::party::party:

idrinkwine732
06-17-2010, 11:17 PM
I see them on Saturday.

I'm so fucking excited, but I get Dance of Death so...:bouville:

rjturtle9
06-17-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm so fucking excited, and I get Paschendale :party::rocker::party::rocker:

Edited for what I would have said.

TonyD
06-17-2010, 11:43 PM
I see them on Saturday.

I'm so fucking excited, but I get Dance of Death so...:bouville:

... isn't it Sunday?

prowler71
06-18-2010, 12:38 AM
just saw the phoenix show, i give it an 8 out of ten, for the following reasons:
1) during the the 3rd song (wrathchild) :mad: the front of house PA cut out for ten seconds, stage volume and monitors were still present, i am not sure about smaller front fills.
2) the set seemed to drag a little :tp:, especially with the placement of "dance of death", followed by "reincarnation of ben breeg", this is where many fans seemed to get bored, and as mentioned before, "these colours don't run" really got the crowd going again. ( dont get me wrong, i love the newer stuff, but some of the set seemed tired, and maybe the setlist needs adjusted, is it me, or is the switching setlist largely based on alternating the songs done by adrian smith, verses jannick gers?) personally i would have liked to see paschendale instead of DOD or wildest dreams, and i envy the new mexico set gaining brighter than 1000 suns and afraid to shoot strangers/
the rest of the set was awesome i really loved BNW, no more lies, all the rest of the BNW material, and the classics especially running free
so i rate it a solid 8, cheers

Montsegur
06-18-2010, 01:33 AM
I've seen Maiden 14 times over the past 14 years (every tour from X-Factour on except Virtual XI) and this was one of their weaker shows. The set drags incredibly and leaves most bored and surfing their smartphones. I like the reunion material but it doesn't translate live as well as the 80's material. A better mix of songs choices (without slow intros/outros) would have improved the show tremendously.

I'm calling it now...2012 tour with # of the Beast played in its entirety to commemorate its 30th anniversary.

maidenpriest
06-18-2010, 01:52 AM
and i envy the new mexico set gaining brighter than 1000 suns and afraid to shoot strangers/

i was at the NM show and we did NOT get 1000 suns or ATSS. that was someone stupid who didnt know what they were playing and posted that. only difference with NM was that we got Paschendale instead of DoD.

makethemsuffer12
06-18-2010, 02:01 AM
Dream Theater did Panic Attack?

PowerMaiden
06-18-2010, 03:21 AM
great review Pastulio, loved it !

(to Montsegur) If they ever do NOTB in it's entirety, I will loose it, they should have done it before but let's keep our finger crossed. I don't see it hapening though as Steve has said many times that he doesn't really like Invaders nor Gangland. But we never know maybe they'll play Total Eclipse instead on Gangland.

Up The Irons !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

hellrider666
06-18-2010, 03:45 AM
F****** great gig. It's also true that it was weaker then last time I saw them, but they still kick ass I was hoping to hear Aces high again, but didn't happen. :mad:

I would like that someone posted Dream theater's setlist. Please! :D Cause I don't know them that well.

Thanks

Chrispat
06-18-2010, 03:53 AM
@Montsegur

I don't know al the setlists form the US but here in Holland they played the whole matter of life and death album in the 2008 tour. Speaking of a boring set for most people (after the album they played fear of the dark and iron maiden and then als encore number of the beast, the evil that men do and hallowed be thy name).
They only play outdoor festivals in europe this summer without dt :(
I'm going to the pukkelpop festival in Belgium on august 19 to see iron maiden and i hope they change the setlist a little.
I hope they play paschendale and replace running free with sanctuary and no more lies with something like where eagles dare, revelations or powerslave. Maybe I just have to keep on dreaming.
By the way the best maiden show I have ever seen is death on the road in Leuven Belgium. The worst show death on the road Rotterdam Holland (same setlist!).
This summer will be my 14th time I see Maiden, and I realy can't wait.

maidenpriest
06-18-2010, 04:27 AM
I would like that someone posted Dream theater's setlist. Please! :D Cause I don't know them that well.

Thanks

As I Am
A Rite of Passage
Home
Constant Motion
Panic Attack
Pull Me Under

JudasPriest89
06-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I guess "From Here To Eternity" will never be on the setlist :mad:

Indestructible
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM

I wouldnt get my hopes up. would be a great suprise .I wonder if maiden can surprise us once this tour.

Sanitarium78
06-18-2010, 10:16 AM

Yeah because of all the great old songs they never play this is deffinately at the top of everyone's most wanted list:eyes:

Really? You want FHTE to be played that bad?

I can see how the set can drag with Ben Breeg like the one reviewer said. Along with OOTS it's my least favorite song on the album. The song's OK but it drags for me on CD so i'd imagine the same happens live. Maybe the band wants a song like that in the set so they themselves and the crowd have a few minutes to catch their breath before getting back into it with TCDR.

Anyways, it's nice to see some full reviews of the show and not a bunch of false reports. This is why we wait until after the show ends before we put anything up:D

Maiden33
06-18-2010, 10:30 AM

I can only hope.

I think it's hilarious that 6 shows in, Dream Theater has played the exact same set every night and Maiden's has changed. :lol:

The_jman
06-18-2010, 10:37 AM
I can only hope.

I think it's hilarious that 6 shows in, Dream Theater has played the exact same set every night and Maiden's has changed. :lol:
This.

aalthough I like the song not one of the one's I'd want replacing anything they could play, save maybe breeg.

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 11:03 AM
... isn't it Sunday?

Yeah, that was my bad.

great review Pastulio, loved it !

(to Montsegur) If they ever do NOTB in it's entirety, I will loose it, they should have done it before but let's keep our finger crossed. I don't see it hapening though as Steve has said many times that he doesn't really like Invaders nor Gangland. But we never know maybe they'll play Total Eclipse instead on Gangland.

Up The Irons !

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

How doesn't Steve like Invaders? I think they'd do it, because I'm sure every member has that one song in the set they aren't a huge fan of.

Maiden33
06-18-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, that was my bad.

How doesn't Steve like Invaders? I think they'd do it, because I'm sure every member has that one song in the set they aren't a huge fan of.

Don't underestimate Steve's ability to keep a great and well-loved song out of the live set for years. Why do you think they haven't played "Flight of Icarus" (their most successful US single) live in 25 years?

PowerMaiden
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Yeah, that was my bad.

How doesn't Steve like Invaders?

He said it in the Run To The Hills official biography amongst others

he also said that he should have put Total Eclipse instead of Gangland on the album

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Pastulio_
06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm calling it now...2012 tour with # of the Beast played in its entirety to commemorate its 30th anniversary.

That'd be nice because it would mean The Prisoner was back...but if any Maiden album deserves to be played in its entity, it's Seventh Son. Shame that it will probably never happen though.

PowerMaiden
06-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I'd still would pick NOTB for an whole album played

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Maiden33
06-18-2010, 12:42 PM
As far as consistency is concerned, I think there are only 2 or 3 Maiden albums that truly deserve to be played in their entirety - and NOTB isn't one of them.

SomewhereInTime72
06-18-2010, 01:18 PM
he also said that he should have put Total Eclipse instead of Gangland on the album

He has said this a lot of times, and it's one of the few things a Maiden member has said along those lines that I can actually agree with. (one I can't ever agree with: Bruce hating SIT :mad: )

Maiden33
06-18-2010, 01:31 PM
He has said this a lot of times, and it's one of the few things a Maiden member has said along those lines that I can actually agree with. (one I can't ever agree with: Bruce hating SIT :mad: )

I don't think it's him actually hating it as much as him resenting the fact that he never had any input on the album, and Steve basically ignored his material he had been working on when they did it. Normally I'd register a huge complaint with that, but since SIT is my favorite Maiden album and I think it's pretty much perfect... fine by me.

JudasPriest89
06-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Yeah because of all the great old songs they never play this is deffinately at the top of everyone's most wanted list:eyes:

Really? You want FHTE to be played that bad?

I can see how the set can drag with Ben Breeg like the one reviewer said. Along with OOTS it's my least favorite song on the album. The song's OK but it drags for me on CD so i'd imagine the same happens live. Maybe the band wants a song like that in the set so they themselves and the crowd have a few minutes to catch their breath before getting back into it with TCDR.

Anyways, it's nice to see some full reviews of the show and not a bunch of false reports. This is why we wait until after the show ends before we put anything up:D

Well either that or "Wasting Love" (Or both) would be my highlight since "Fear Of The Dark" is my favorite Maiden album....

Maiden33
06-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Well either that or "Wasting Love" (Or both) would be my highlight since "Fear Of The Dark" is my favorite Maiden album....

Now there's something you don't hear everyday - though I must say I HAVE heard it before.

Judas Be My Guide = best song on Fear of the Dark, and one of my 15 favorite Maiden songs, period.

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 01:50 PM
As far as consistency is concerned, I think there are only 2 or 3 Maiden albums that truly deserve to be played in their entirety - and NOTB isn't one of them.

http://diskoduck.cz/shop/images/somewherebg1.jpg

:D:D

Maiden33
06-18-2010, 02:06 PM
http://diskoduck.cz/shop/images/somewherebg1.jpg

:D:D

Yep, that'd certainly be my first nomination, if only because it's the only way they're ever gonna play 5/8 of that album again (and that's probably being generous).

Sanitarium78
06-18-2010, 03:19 PM
"Fear Of The Dark" is my favorite Maiden album....

Wow, I feel so sorry for you

Judas Be My Guide = best song on Fear of the Dark, and one of my 15 favorite Maiden songs, period.

....And for you as well:lol:

Easily the worst album Maiden has put out as far as i'm conserned. No effort, no life, NOTHING. It was pretty obvious on this album everyone was burned out and needed a break. Except for BQOBD, ATSS and the title track it offers very little at all. FHTE and WL are ok but really don't make a huge difference at all. Even the better songs on Virtual XI are better than the best stuff on FOTD. I think we had a discussion about this topic a few months back on some other Maiden thread. Anyways, i've said all I'm gonna say about the load that Maiden dropped with FOTD.

Maiden33
06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Wow, I feel so sorry for you

....And for you as well:lol:

Easily the worst album Maiden has put out as far as i'm conserned. No effort, no life, NOTHING. It was pretty obvious on this album everyone was burned out and needed a break. Except for BQOBD, ATSS and the title track it offers very little at all. FHTE and WL are ok but really don't make a huge difference at all. Even the better songs on Virtual XI are better than the best stuff on FOTD. I think we had a discussion about this topic a few months back on some other Maiden thread. Anyways, i've said all I'm gonna say about the load that Maiden dropped with FOTD.

I gotta disagree. I hate to refer to Fear of the Dark as underrated, but the truth is I guess I have to say I feel it is. It's not even in the running for the bottom 3 Maiden albums for me. Sure, there's some absolute feces on it (Fear is the Key, The Apparition, From Here to Eternity), but stand by my opinion that 3 of its tracks are in my top 25 Maiden songs, period (title track, Judas Be My Guide, Wasting love). In addition to those 3, there's easily 3 or 4 more I definitely enjoy (Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Childhood's End, The Fugitive, Be Quick or Be Dead... even Chains of Misery is enjoyable to me). So given that I absolutely love 3 tracks, enjoy 5 more, and only am apt to shit on 3 or 4 of them... I cannot, in good faith, shit on the album as a whole. Not in comparison to an album like No Prayer For the Dying - which though it has just as many pieces of crap on it, it doesn't have ONE great track that I would ever consider putting in my top 50 Maiden songs.

hellrider666
06-18-2010, 10:49 PM
As I Am
A Rite of Passage
Home
Constant Motion
Panic Attack
Pull Me Under

Thanks a lot My Friend!:party::D

PowerMaiden
06-20-2010, 06:19 AM

totaly disagree, NOTB is a fucking metal masterpiece, a benchmark for everything that came after and one of the most known metal album ever. Who cares if Gangland is not a 10/10. and consistency !?!? what are you talking about dude

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Maiden33
06-20-2010, 08:06 AM
totaly disagree, NOTB is a fucking metal masterpiece, a benchmark for everything that came after and one of the most known metal album ever. Who cares if Gangland is not a 10/10. and consistency !?!? what are you talking about dude

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

I think Gangland, Run to the Hills, and even Invaders are sort of lame/filler by "Golden Era" Maiden standards. Every track on Powerslave and Somewhere In Time is better than all three of those songs in my opinion. I've never understood people blowing NOTB. 5/8 songs being amazing doesn't make it an amazing album. Maybe for a lesser band, but considering I think each of the 4 albums that followed it kicked it's ass on a song-for-song basis... I don't really get it.

Fe Maiden
06-20-2010, 08:42 AM
I think Gangland, Run to the Hills, and even Invaders are sort of lame/filler by "Golden Era" Maiden standards. Every track on Powerslave and Somewhere In Time is better than all three of those songs in my opinion. I've never understood people blowing NOTB. 5/8 songs being amazing doesn't make it an amazing album. Maybe for a lesser band, but considering I think each of the 4 albums that followed it kicked it's ass on a song-for-song basis... I don't really get it.Agreed on Gangland and Invaders but.........RTTH actually is a damn good song! The solos are pretty sweet in my opinion. Overplayed maybe but I never tire of it!

PowerMaiden
06-20-2010, 08:54 AM
well each to is own but as far as I am concern, Invaders and Run To The Hills are better than half of Powerslave and a few songs on Somewhere In Time

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

darkguardian50
06-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Not many people will agree with you on Run to the Hills. Its always in their setlist for a reason. Likewise Fear of the Dark a great song from a decent album is a terrific song easily in their top 25 but LIVE its probably in their top 5 or 10 as far as best live songs.

My personal favorite from them has always been Piece of Mind. I'd rank top 5 as Piece of Mind, Powerslave, NOTB, Seventh Son, and Somewhere in Time. Piece of Mind only has two mediocre songs, Sun and Steel and Quest for Fire. Every other song is great or amazing. Powerslave on the other hand I never much liked the title track everyone seems to love so much. Its a good song but not great. And The Duelists and Back in the Village are merely decent. This is all relative cause subpar early maiden is like the best stuff from 90% of bands out there today.

Pastulio_
06-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I think there's a pretty clear line between "Albums we would love Iron Maiden to play in full" and "Albums Iron Maiden (Might) play in full." I'm sure the majority of fans here and on other forums would cream their pants for a week if they played Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son in full. Unfortunately, I don't think any of us feel that's a realistic dream. As great as it would be for young fans like myself to hear Caught Somewhere In Time, Alexander the Great, Infinite Dreams, and Seventh Son of A Seventh Son, the band clearly doesn't have the attachment to the album that SOME fans do. That some is all too unfortunate, cause as evident by Megadeth playing Rust In Peace in full this year, years of fans begging for something can convince a band to do it. More casual Maiden fans would probably much rather have Number of the Beast or maybe Powerslave than Somewhere In Time or Seventh Son.

About Powerslave...I don't know. Any excuse to have them play Aces High and Rime again is great, but really...the middle tracks aren't worth it. At least compared to other rarely/never played songs.

The two albums I'd say Maiden is most likely (but hardly guaranteed) to play in full are Number Of The Beast and Peace of Mind. Like it or not, The Number of the Beast is what made them, and despite 1/2 the tracks having been played to death, The Prisoner and 22 Acacia Avenue would be worth it. I'd say I would much rather hear Peace Of Mind though. Steve Harris said in 89 that it was Maiden's best, and until Brave New World Bruce said it was his favorite. I think they could put aside whatever disagreement over Icarus for it. Peace of Mind in full really would be a kickass show. Opening with Where Eagles Dare, Revelations, Icarus again, the classics fans get The Trooper, and To Tame A Land finally makes the cut.

Just my 2 cents. I'd be kinda weird years from now if A Matter of Life and Death went down as (correct me if I'm wrong) the only Maiden album played start to finish. (I don't know for sure what they did the first few tours).

JudasPriest89
06-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Wow, I feel so sorry for you.

What, Would you be happy if you heard me say one of the Blaze albums was my favorite? Because "Fear Of The Dark" is a badass album.

Sanitarium78
06-22-2010, 05:11 AM
What, Would you be happy if you heard me say one of the Blaze albums was my favorite? Because "Fear Of The Dark" is a badass album.

That album is FAR from badass. I wouldn't mind if you said one of the Blaze albums was your favorite. The X Factor is a very good album actually. I would rate this one very high on Maiden's all time best albums if Bruce was the singer on it. Blaze does a good job but for me but he prevents it from getting to high on the list. With the exception of TAATG and CEA Virtual XI has some very good tracks on it. Both are better than FOTD, I think.

JudasPriest89
06-22-2010, 08:11 AM
That album is FAR from badass. I wouldn't mind if you said one of the Blaze albums was your favorite. The X Factor is a very good album actually. I would rate this one very high on Maiden's all time best albums if Bruce was the singer on it. Blaze does a good job but for me but he prevents it from getting to high on the list. With the exception of TAATG and CEA Virtual XI has some very good tracks on it. Both are better than FOTD, I think.

Well, I say "Fear Of The Dark" is the best Maiden album still... Better Than "A Matter Of Life & Death"