PDA

View Full Version : CORONER To Reunite For Appearance At Next Year's HELLFEST?

idrinkwine732
06-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141615

Swiss thrash trio CORONER made up of bassist Ron Royce, drummer Marquis Marky (a.k.a. Marky Edelmann) and guitarist Tommy T. Baron is rumored to be reuniting for an appearance at next year's edition of Hellfest, set to take place June 17-19, 2011 in Clisson, France.

CORONER's name/logo appears on a promotional poster that was captured yesterday in the photo below, taken at the site of this year's Hellfest. In addition, a short posting on the Hellfest web site regarding next year's event reads as follows, "We also announce the arrival of a legendary group! Stay tuned; you'll have a hell of a surprise and do not wait to buy those tickets!"

Originally part of the road crew for fellow countrymen CELTIC FROST, CORONER went on to become one of the most progressive extreme metal acts of the Eighties.

The connection between the Zurich band and CELTIC FROST was so strong, in fact, that CELTIC FROST frontman Tom G. Warrior offered to handle vocals for the emerging band's demo. Warrior and CORONER entered Switzerland's Magnetix studio on October 10, 1985, and nine days later they walked out with the impressive four-song 1986 release, "Death Cult".

While subsequent bootlegged CDs included the bonus tracks of "Arrogance in Uniform" and "Hate, Fire, Blood", the original four-track demo consisted of the following tracks: "Spectators of Sin", "Spiral Dream", "Aerial Combat" and "The Invincible". (Only "Spiral Dream" would make it onto CORONER's 1987 debut LP, "R.I.P.")

According to The BNR Metal Pages, CORONER "progressed from the raw speed of 'R.I.P.' to the more laidback style of 'Grin', releasing five albums (not counting the semi-compilation 'Coroner' album) that are all different and yet all are undeniably related, and undeniably CORONER. The band called it a day in 1994, actually before the release of 'Coroner', with Marky Edelmann joining APOLLYON SUN and Tommy T. Baron going to KREATOR, though neither is still with those bands."
----------------------------------------------
I'll be over the moon if this is true.

bt11763
06-17-2010, 12:02 PM
i had actually never heard of them before i saw this, but they kick ass!

NecroRob
06-17-2010, 12:26 PM
If they came to the U.S. for a tour I would be able to die a happy man. I wonder if there's any possibility for a new album...:drool:

idrinkwine732
06-17-2010, 01:30 PM
If they came to the U.S. for a tour I would be able to die a happy man. I wonder if there's any possibility for a new album...:drool:

I hope if they do play on Hellfest they'll play some other fests, because I think I'm going to end up going to Wacken next year and it'd be awesome to see them.

If they do a US tour, that would just make it all the better.

JLRedWing13
06-17-2010, 02:20 PM
They should stay together and tour. :D

ravenheart
06-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I hope if they do play on Hellfest they'll play some other fests, because I think I'm going to end up going to Wacken next year and it'd be awesome to see them.

If they do a US tour, that would just make it all the better.

If you're going to come all this way, at least go to a good festival!

idrinkwine732
06-17-2010, 02:31 PM
If you're going to come all this way, at least go to a good festival!

I've made up my mind. For the time being the fest for me to go to in Europe is Wacken.

I might see if I can go to other fests around that time, but Wacken is where I will be.

ravenheart
06-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Mistake.

NecroRob
06-17-2010, 03:22 PM
One day I'm gonna make it over there and hit up some of those fests. This year's Hellfest has such an amazing lineup of bands it's almost hard to fathom.

idrinkwine732
06-17-2010, 03:59 PM
Mistake.

What didn't you like about Wacken?

ravenheart
06-18-2010, 05:10 AM
The capacity is too big. I find it a complete waste of time being in a crowd that large. The sound is always shit at the front, and to get where the sound is good you're so far back you can't see the band and have to watch them on the screens, which is a pointless way of being at a live music event.

The line-up is sometimes good, sometimes poor, but either way you always end up with most of the bands you want to see playing shitty little 30-minute sets because they book too many bands and can't fit them all in.

It's also full of those really irritating metal scene kids because Wacken has become the iPod of European musical festivals. It's the only one people know about, or bother to find out about, so they all flock to it without thinking.

Within the UK, Download is the same. They have at least improved their line-ups over the last two years.

If you really want to enjoy yourself I would strongly recommend a smaller festival, in the 40,000 people max capacity range. Something like Graspop in Belgium. Then you'll actually be able to get close enough to see the bands you came all this way to see, and hear them properly, you won't be surrounded by teenagers you want to punch, and the bands might get to play more than three songs.

Regardless, there are over 100 festivals every year in Europe, don't go for the big, obvious one without checking out what else is on offer first - usually with cheaper tickets/travel/accom too.

mankvill
06-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Unless you're a giant blubbering vagina, Obscene Extreme should be in your top Euro metal fests to see.

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 08:04 AM
The capacity is too big. I find it a complete waste of time being in a crowd that large. The sound is always shit at the front, and to get where the sound is good you're so far back you can't see the band and have to watch them on the screens, which is a pointless way of being at a live music event.

The line-up is sometimes good, sometimes poor, but either way you always end up with most of the bands you want to see playing shitty little 30-minute sets because they book too many bands and can't fit them all in.

It's also full of those really irritating metal scene kids because Wacken has become the iPod of European musical festivals. It's the only one people know about, or bother to find out about, so they all flock to it without thinking.

Within the UK, Download is the same. They have at least improved their line-ups over the last two years.

If you really want to enjoy yourself I would strongly recommend a smaller festival, in the 40,000 people max capacity range. Something like Graspop in Belgium. Then you'll actually be able to get close enough to see the bands you came all this way to see, and hear them properly, you won't be surrounded by teenagers you want to punch, and the bands might get to play more than three songs.

Regardless, there are over 100 festivals every year in Europe, don't go for the big, obvious one without checking out what else is on offer first - usually with cheaper tickets/travel/accom too.

I see it as going to Paris without going to the Eiffel Tower. You'll go, have a great time, and have some great memories, but whenever you share it with someone they ask, "Are there any with you in front of the Eiffel Tower?"

It's just something you have to do. This won't be my last European festival, but Wacken for sure is the largest box to check. You are the first person I've ever heard to come back with a negative response to it.

mankvill
06-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Wacken for the experience

Obscene Extreme for the bands

http://www.obsceneextreme.cz/reklama/banner/oef2010-poster-en.jpg

ravenheart
06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I see it as going to Paris without going to the Eiffel Tower. You'll go, have a great time, and have some great memories, but whenever you share it with someone they ask, "Are there any with you in front of the Eiffel Tower?"

It's just something you have to do. This won't be my last European festival, but Wacken for sure is the largest box to check. You are the first person I've ever heard to come back with a negative response to it.

Worst excuse ever :lol:

Never do things just because it's "the done thing". Damn.

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 12:06 PM
Worst excuse ever :lol:

Never do things just because it's "the done thing". Damn.

It's not because it's the done thing, but it's the most legendary metal festival, and something I feel like I have to do.

I honestly find it difficult to believe that you weren't at some point overwhelmed by the experience there. Even if you weren't, then I will be for you.

NecroRob
06-18-2010, 01:00 PM
It's always easier to say don't go when you've already experienced it yourself.

I completely understand where wine is coming from on this, because I kinda have the same mindset. When I do eventually make my way over the pond I will most likely plan to attend multiple festivals, but I'm sure as hell not missing Wacken. It's legendary, I have to experience it at least once.

Dextrimental
06-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Personally, I would say check out Graspop at some point, great festival altogether. Wacken, check that one out too, I will myself someday when iv money to hit more than one festival over a summer, Hellfest too, and Bloodstock. Raven is the first person iv heard whose had a totally bad review of it, everyone else has good and bad things to say about it, but mostly good. And I find the line up point to be null and void as everyone likes different bands regardless of whether theyre popular or not. Thought we all got over that when we were 16!

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Personally, I would say check out Graspop at some point, great festival altogether. Wacken, check that one out too, I will myself someday when iv money to hit more than one festival over a summer, Hellfest too, and Bloodstock. Raven is the first person iv heard whose had a totally bad review of it, everyone else has good and bad things to say about it, but mostly good. And I find the line up point to be null and void as everyone likes different bands regardless of whether theyre popular or not. Thought we all got over that when we were 16!

Hellfest and Graspop are my other two I'd like to go to at some point.