PDA

View Full Version : Heaven & Hell members to play Dio tribute in London

ravenheart
06-15-2010, 02:51 AM
In place of Heaven & Hell's originally cancelled special guest slot at the High Voltage festival on July 24, the surviving members will play their only live Dio tribute concert of the Summer with guest vocalists Glenn Hughes and Jorn Lande (plus probably others).

The fact that they've said "of the Summer" leads me to believe there might be more later in the year.

Sinfulsot
06-15-2010, 06:34 AM
perhaps one (or more) in the US...

Sanitarium78
06-15-2010, 07:12 AM
All right!!! Yet another Dio tribute show I have no chance of going to since I don't live anywhere near it. AWESOME!!!!!

Glen Hughes and Jorn are good choices for vocalists though. They should get Ripper Owens to so he can make a pay day off another bands name he had nothing to do with establishing:D

ravenheart
06-15-2010, 07:27 AM
perhaps one (or more) in the US...

There are still rumours of one in LA... that's all I've heard.

ravenheart
06-15-2010, 07:28 AM
All right!!! Yet another Dio tribute show I have no chance of going to since I don't live anywhere near it. AWESOME!!!!!

I know man. I mean seriously, why don't they think of YOU when they're booking these things? ;)

Sanitarium78
06-15-2010, 08:00 AM
I know man. I mean seriously, why don't they think of YOU when they're booking these things? ;)

I know, right:D All joking aside Dio is a God where he comes from in Courtland, NY. So i'm just surprised they haven't booked anything in the State of New York yet. That would be my best chance to see a tribute show. Maybe i'm just being to impatient and they have something in the works.

Sinfulsot
06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
here's to hoping for an east coast tribute show...

Maiden33
06-15-2010, 03:56 PM
here's to hoping for an east coast tribute show...

With Jorn! :lovedup:

JuuKun
06-15-2010, 06:12 PM
With Jorn! :lovedup:

:lovedup: Yes

ravenheart
06-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Well, if you get any tribute concerts in the US, they won't involve H&H.

Tony has said this one in London will be the only one they're going to do.

Indestructible
06-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Wendy Dio had this to say on the R.I.P RJD facebook page.

"Dear Friends and Fans of Ronnie, I have seen lately on Blabbermouth.net a lot of announcements of bands releasing "so-called" Dio Tribute CD's. Please do not be fooled by thinking that they are doing this for the Fund, the money is going in their pockets and not to the Fund. I find this totally disgraceful and upsetting that they are trying to make money off Ronnie's death.- Wendy Dio"

Maiden33
06-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Wendy Dio had this to say on the R.I.P RJD facebook page.

"Dear Friends and Fans of Ronnie, I have seen lately on Blabbermouth.net a lot of announcements of bands releasing "so-called" Dio Tribute CD's. Please do not be fooled by thinking that they are doing this for the Fund, the money is going in their pockets and not to the Fund. I find this totally disgraceful and upsetting that they are trying to make money off Ronnie's death.- Wendy Dio"

Hate this for a variety of reasons. I posted a full rebuttal on my Facebook page. Not sure whether or not I want to post it on here. There's about a 20x higher chance that someone's gonna go apeshit on me for the wrong reason.

idrinkwine732
06-17-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm really bothered by that, I think a lot of this has very little to do with money.

JLRedWing13
06-17-2010, 01:29 PM
:bouville:

Maiden33
06-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Well, since this doesn't seem to be a raging discussion, I'll take my chances posting this here:
I was recently informed of a statement made by Wendy Dio (widowed wife of the late, great Ronnie James Dio) about her thoughts on "musicians making tribute albums because of Ronnie's death".

I just wanted to point out that I couldn't disagree more with her sentiments that essentially anyone who now does any form of a Dio tribute and doesn't donate 100% of the proceeds to her Cancer Research Fund, are essentially - criminals who should be ashamed to make music. This is arrogant bullshit.

There's no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the biggest source drawing fire from this is Jorn lande's "Dio" Tribute album coming out soon - but it's an unfair thing to pick a fight with it. It's been stated openly that the plans to do this album were set in motion well before Ronnie's passing, and that Jorn seriously considered hesitating in the wake of the event. Also, I think it's become an issue that this tribute album is drawing a lot of attention to Jorn from people who previously didn't know who he was - and think: "Hey, this is just some n00b asshole who's trying to profit from this". Try again. Jorn has become an absolute vocal institution in the world of underground metal, steadily gaining recognition over the past ten years - and anyone who followed him previously knows what a colossal fan of RJD's he was. I honestly believe there has never been another singer who comes as close to Ronnie's power, charisma, and melody than Jorn - and based on his work over the past few years, there is no better artist to pay tribute to the man himself. Tony Iommi himself even asked Jorn to sing for the Heaven and Hell RJD tribute concert next month.
The problem with this is the fact that despite acclaim, Jorn is hardly living large, and albums aren't free to make. This was planned as a full studio project a full year ago, and they can't just ignore the fact that the album was made with the original intent to profit. Sure - It would be an excellent gesture to donate any excess funds to the Cancer Research Fund, and there has never been any word that Jorn doesn't intend to do just that. But in the eyes of a lot of fans - it's more important to keep music alive rather than donating infinite dollars to the cure for something that will likely never come. I'm not saying don't donate (not at all), but I'm just saying it's one option, it's not your only option to pay your respects and do your part. I think people get too concerned with simply cutting a check to try to solve all the world's problems.

I also would like to mention that I am naturally somewhat skeptical about the motives of those in the Dio camp these days. I have paid attention to the fact that suddenly it is 100x more accessible to buy all Dio merchandise than it was 6 months (or longer) ago - not to mention they keep announcing details and plans for all sorts of box sets and whatnot. These things aren't being made for free. In addition to charity, there IS money going in someone's pocket.

idrinkwine732
06-17-2010, 05:40 PM
I completely agree.

rjturtle9
06-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah I agree too. I just think it is in good taste to donate some money to the fund, but like you said, he never said he wasn't going to do that.

ravenheart
06-18-2010, 03:49 AM
I wasn't the only one who noticed that shortly before Ronnie's death, album cover t-shirts for Rising, Dream Evil, Holy Diver and The Last In Line were appearing for pre-order on general interest websites like Play.com, then?

Sanitarium78
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Nice write up Maiden33. I actually agree with Wendy here though. It's very sad that bands will try and cash in and make a name for themselves off Ronnie's death. I'm not sure if Jorn's tribute is the main target or not. I thought I read somehwere that he had either Dio's approval before he passed or he got the family's approval. Maybe I got my info screwed up though. As for the Dio camps motives being questionable, i'm not sure about that one. The demand for Dio merchandise, or any famous musician, that passes away always skyrockets. So they're just mainly trying to give into the demand. If fans are willing to pay for it I see no reason why they shouldn't release as much stuff as they can. Seeing as Ronnie was the main source of income and support for his family, they're probably gonna make as much off selling merchandise as they would have if he survived and kept recording and touring. So it evens itself out as far as i'm conserned.

As for Jorn, he's in a very tough position. In my 20 or so years of listening to metal I never heard of him until this tribute was announced. There are a ton of people who had no clue who he was before this either, judging by what i've read on the internet. Hell, Joe Siegler who has been running his own fantastic Black Sabbath web page since the 90s never even heard of him until this. I know we don't represent all the metal fans in the world, i'm just trying to give and example of how under the radar Jorn is.

So, he comes out with this tribute and all of a sudden people are talking about him. I've never seen extensive talk about Jorn anywhere on the internet before until this happened. The guy is a great singer no doubt and I don't question that his love, respect and tribute to Ronnie isn't genuine. The question of it is the timing of the release. He releases his "Tribute To Ronnie James" video/song less than a week after his death before the man is even buried? Sorry, but to those who don't know him it just comes off as a case of being very classless. While the plan may have been in effect to release this before Ronnie passed, the whole situation just doesn't make him look good in the eyes of a lot of people who didn't know him before this.

Getting Iommi's approval for the H&H Dio tribute show does help to validate Jorn a bit. Because of this Jorn has gotten more well known though, no one can deny that. If he gains new fans out of this and sells a few more records now, he has in a indirect way profited off of Ronnie's death. It's deffinately more of a record lable move here to get this tribute album out so soon after Ronnie's passing. But it's forever gonna make Jorn look like a bad guy even though his motives to do this I believe were honorable.

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't think the release of "Tribute to Ronnie James" is any more classless than a musician saying "he was massively influential to our band" after his death.

JLRedWing13
06-18-2010, 01:54 PM
I don't think the release of "Tribute to Ronnie James" is any more classless than a musician saying "he was massively influential to our band" after his death.

I don't really see either being classless at all....

Maiden33
06-18-2010, 02:03 PM
I don't really see either being classless at all....

I think that was his point - pointing out that no one thinks it's classless/distasteful to say they were incredibly influenced by someone, so it's not classless to release something in tribute to him.

JLRedWing13
06-18-2010, 02:13 PM
I think that was his point - pointing out that no one thinks it's classless/distasteful to say they were incredibly influenced by someone, so it's not classless to release something in tribute to him.

Ah, makes sense.

cradle_of_maiden
06-18-2010, 02:51 PM
If anyone lives in Orlando, my band Murmur will be playing at a Dio tribute show with a bunch of really talented local musicians and bands on July 17th. All the ticket sales go directly to the Stand up and Shout cancer fund and it'll be a great way to pay tribute to Dio. Its at a place called The Haven.

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 03:38 PM

My work has been done.

Indestructible
06-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Rob Flynn of Machine head does an acoustic cover of die young

Good cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QofxqDOlraI

idrinkwine732
06-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Rob Flynn of Machine head does an acoustic cover of die young

Good cover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QofxqDOlraI

It's a shame he's known as Robb Flynn of Machine Head and not Robb Flynn of Vio-Lence...

darkguardian50
06-25-2010, 08:02 PM
If anyone lives in Orlando, my band Murmur will be playing at a Dio tribute show with a bunch of really talented local musicians and bands on July 17th. All the ticket sales go directly to the Stand up and Shout cancer fund and it'll be a great way to pay tribute to Dio. Its at a place called The Haven.

Is this the show with Rob Rock? I'm a big fan of Rock (seriously amazing singer) so I'll probably be there.

JLRedWing13
06-25-2010, 11:06 PM
It's a shame he's known as Robb Flynn of Machine Head and not Robb Flynn of Vio-Lence...

....or just both...