PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Thread!

mankvill
06-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Yeah suckas!

Watching South Africa vs. Mexico right now. Mexico will probably win, but I'm rooting for SA!

InPatient5100
06-11-2010, 06:24 AM
ya me 2 def

Derelict
06-11-2010, 06:29 AM
:jima:

mankvill
06-11-2010, 07:18 AM
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL

Holy shit, South Africa might do this!

mastodon421
06-11-2010, 07:20 AM
That goal South Africa got was a thing of beauty.

mankvill
06-11-2010, 07:42 AM
OH SHIIIIIT

ChildrenofSodom
06-11-2010, 08:30 AM
http://www.railgrab.com/bald_eagle_photos/images/eagle_photo_perch.jpg

DethMaiden
06-11-2010, 08:33 AM
The first match was a draw? Are you fucking kidding me? In the biggest tournament in the world, this lousy sport still allows ties? Fuck that.

NecroRob
06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
http://www.bigqueer.com/uploads/FuckYeah.jpg

mankvill
06-11-2010, 12:27 PM
The first match was a draw? Are you fucking kidding me? In the biggest tournament in the world, this lousy sport still allows ties? Fuck that.

Hi! Welcome to soccer. I assume you just watched your first game. It's great to see you!

ChildrenofSodom
06-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Hi! Welcome to soccer. I assume you just watched your first game. It's great to see you!

Seriously, they play for like, an hour, and no one wins? EXCITING!

mankvill
06-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Seriously, they play for like, an hour, and no one wins? EXCITING!

go back to handegg

JLRedWing13
06-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Draws piss me off too. They should at least have an extra period before they call it a draw.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Calm down. It's just the group stages. The knockout rounds won't have draws.

DethMaiden
06-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Two matches.

Two goals.

Zero winners.

Great day of sport!

:zzz:

mankvill
06-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Two matches.

Two goals.

Zero winners.

Great day of sport!

he thinks the opening rounds of the world cup are about winners and losers.

:D

SomewhereInTime72
06-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Two matches.

Two goals.

Zero winners.

Great day of sport!

like basketball and dont like soccer

*restraining laughter*

DethMaiden
06-11-2010, 06:35 PM
like basketball and dont like soccer

*restraining laughter*

Yeah, well, if somebody scores when I'm taking a piss during a basketball game, I can see another guy score within a minute or so. If you're pissing during a goal in a soccer match, you just missed the only action of the game. Which may or may not even have a decisive outcome.

I basically enjoy or at least tolerate most every sport, but goddamn, soccer is 97% about running either towards or away from guys and things. Comes down to taste, I get that, but I really don't get how that's enjoyable at all. The second match today was a SCORELESS TIE! Did you enjoy that? If so, how?

AND WHY DOES EVERY METALHEAD HATE BASKETBALL ONLY :( :(

mankvill
06-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Sports to watch on TV:

1. Hockey
2. World Cup-class Soccer
3. American Football
Runner-Up: College Basketball if a team playing is your team

---

3rd to last: Professional basketball
2nd to last: Nascar
Dead last: Golf

Sports to watch in person:

1. Soccer in England
2. Football
3. College Football
Runner-Up: College basketball if it's your team playing

---

3rd to last: Nascar
2nd to last: Tennis (I've done it before. Shitsux)
Dead last: Marathons/Track

DethMaiden
06-11-2010, 06:44 PM
1. NBA basketball
2. Men's singles tennis
3. NFL football
4. NCAA basketball
5. MLB baseball
6. NHL hockey
7. NCAA football

other things

mankvill
06-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I basically enjoy or at least tolerate most every sport, but goddamn, soccer is 97% about running either towards or away from guys and things. Comes down to taste, I get that, but I really don't get how that's enjoyable at all. The second match today was a SCORELESS TIE! Did you enjoy that? If so, how?

South Africa vs. Mexico was fucking awesome because Mexico is a powerhouse but South Africa held their own. And there were a lot of REALLY close goals from each team, especially near the end of the game.

2nd was France vs. Paraguay. It sucked for France because they came in 2nd place in the last World Cup but couldn't do shit against Paraguay this time. Each team has one point. Great news for South Africa and Paraguay, doesn't matter for Mexico, sucks for France.

mankvill
06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
1. NBA basketball
2. Men's singles tennis

6. NHL hockey
7. NCAA football

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.

jhdeity
06-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Why do soccer fans make insect noises the entire game? I thought it was a problem with the feed but when they cheered it stopped.

Straight people watch singles tennis?

SomewhereInTime72
06-11-2010, 06:57 PM
5. MLB baseball

Bro, no. When the statistics about something are way more interesting than actually watching the damn thing, there is a problem. :bouville:

idrinkwine732
06-11-2010, 07:13 PM
1. NFL Football
2. NCAA Football
3. "Soccer" Premier, but nothing beats the World Cup
4. Baseball
---------
2nd to last: NBA
last: NASCAR

mankvill
06-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Why do soccer fans make insect noises the entire game? I thought it was a problem with the feed but when they cheered it stopped.

Straight people watch singles tennis?

http://www.southafrica-travel.net/miscellaneous/versgifs/patrickvuvu.jpg

JLRedWing13
06-11-2010, 08:47 PM
1. Hockey
2. College football
3. NFL football

At the bottom of my list is tennis. NASCAR isn't even on my list, as I don't consider it a sport...

ChildrenofSodom
06-11-2010, 09:58 PM
At least in baseball, my least favorite sport to watch unless my little brothers are playing it, they play til someone wins.

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 05:59 AM
yeah, I hate soccer I honestly dream that it somehow gets wiped off the planet completely

SomewhereInTime72
06-12-2010, 08:46 AM
yeah, I hate soccer I honestly dream that it somehow gets wiped off the planet completely

it's time to stop posting

evildeadjedi
06-12-2010, 09:00 AM
1. NFL
2. NCAA Football
3. NCAA Basketball
4. MMA
5. NBA Basketball (bores me to death when it's not the playoffs and sometimes even the playoffs are horrible)
6. NHL Hockey
7. MLB (sorry it bores me to death when it's not the playoffs)

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 09:20 AM
NHL over MLB what's wrong with this guy? Lol

mankvill
06-12-2010, 10:24 AM
FUCK ENGLAND

mankvill
06-12-2010, 10:38 AM
FUCKING ENGLAND

mankvill
06-12-2010, 10:50 AM
MOTHERFUCKING ENGLAND

Derelict
06-12-2010, 11:01 AM
Well I think Tim Howard just broke his arm. Ugh.

Derelict
06-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Or not. Phew

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2010, 11:13 AM
USA! That was a sloppy goal, but I'll take it.

mankvill
06-12-2010, 11:15 AM
All of England's shit-talking just flew out the window.

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2010, 11:30 AM
All of England's shit-talking just flew out the window.

That goal was undeserved, but whatever. SCOREBOARD!

Also, the shot of Americans and British troops in Afghanistan was great. Brits looked so pissed haha.

Derelict
06-12-2010, 11:38 AM
That goal was undeserved, but whatever. SCOREBOARD!

Also, the shot of Americans and British troops in Afghanistan was great. Brits looked so pissed haha.

They interviewed those guys before the game, it was awesome.

They showed Beckham on the sideline wearing a 3 piece suit, he looked like the most English guy on the planet

mankvill
06-12-2010, 12:26 PM
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/1985/1276373933273.jpg

DethMaiden
06-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Yeah, we tied the shit out of them! Everybody wins! Alright! Sports!

mankvill
06-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Yeah, we tied the shit out of them! Everybody wins! Alright! Sports!

he still doesn't understand the group stage. :cool:

mankvill
06-12-2010, 12:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zd_khk6zXo

Best world cup ad so far, btw.

JLRedWing13
06-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Well, considering England is a favorite in this tournament, I'll take the tie. Though we tied Italy in 2006, and we all know how that worked out.

Butcher of Birth
06-12-2010, 07:51 PM
Well, considering England is a favorite in this tournament, I'll take the tie. Though we tied Italy in 2006, and we all know how that worked out.

DONT RUIN THIS FOR US!!! GOD BLESS IT!!!!! :bouville::bouville::bouville:

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 07:58 PM
good tie, but horrendous game if u ask me

ChildrenofSodom
06-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Spoiler: Ignorant American comment ahead.

I understand that most people watching the world cup know something about soccer (futbol, whatever you arses) but they're showing the US v England game on ABC.....dumbing down the game calling or maybe taking time to remind the viewers of the rules at certain intervals throughout the 90 minutes would be very helpful. I don't know what any of the players' positions do, besides defenders and goalies. I know that they kick the ball or hit it with their heads.....but I have no idea what offsides is, no idea why they play for so long, never stopping the clock even when people are on the ground, bleeding out of the face.

Also, they play for 90 minutes but the referees can just arbitarily add time to the clock? So, we got 7 minutes extra minutes total, but they didn't feel it was worth it to play until someone won? Also, when they say, for example, "Smith is leaving the game" or "Covington is being subbed out", it would be nice for them to say "Smith for USA" or "Smith for England" because I don't know who any of these people are or who they play for. Even in the NBA they say things like "Pierce has really pulled through for this Celtics team", and you can figure out who the hell they are talking about.

Also, they use alot of slang that only people who were raised on soccer would understand. I totally understand why they do that: I'm sure it is the same with football and basketball, I just don't notice, but still.

As an American non-soccer watcher, the game and the coverage seemed pretty inaccessible. Lots of guys running around and kicking the ball high into the air....not alot of action. It was fun to see the goalie save it, but all the stuff going on in between the goals was boring. I am not a hockey fan, but it seems the two sports are very similar. In hockey, however, the field/rink is shorter so there the game is faster paced.

Those are my two, ignorant American, cents.

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I agree, soccer is quite possibly the worst sport I've seen to date

mankvill
06-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Spoiler: Ignorant American comment ahead.

I understand that most people watching the world cup know something about soccer (futbol, whatever you arses) but they're showing the US v England game on ABC.....dumbing down the game calling or maybe taking time to remind the viewers of the rules at certain intervals throughout the 90 minutes would be very helpful. I don't know what any of the players' positions do, besides defenders and goalies. I know that they kick the ball or hit it with their heads.....but I have no idea what offsides is, no idea why they play for so long, never stopping the clock even when people are on the ground, bleeding out of the face.

Also, they play for 90 minutes but the referees can just arbitarily add time to the clock? So, we got 7 minutes extra minutes total, but they didn't feel it was worth it to play until someone won? Also, when they say, for example, "Smith is leaving the game" or "Covington is being subbed out", it would be nice for them to say "Smith for USA" or "Smith for England" because I don't know who any of these people are or who they play for. Even in the NBA they say things like "Pierce has really pulled through for this Celtics team", and you can figure out who the hell they are talking about.

Also, they use alot of slang that only people who were raised on soccer would understand. I totally understand why they do that: I'm sure it is the same with football and basketball, I just don't notice, but still.

As an American non-soccer watcher, the game and the coverage seemed pretty inaccessible. Lots of guys running around and kicking the ball high into the air....not alot of action. It was fun to see the goalie save it, but all the stuff going on in between the goals was boring. I am not a hockey fan, but it seems the two sports are very similar. In hockey, however, the field/rink is shorter so there the game is faster paced.

Those are my two, ignorant American, cents.

I know after the game on SportsCenter they went over what constituted offsides or not after the very first game of the cup, but they're probably assuming that people have a good idea what "offsides" means in a sport.

They play for 2 45 mintue halves, and for each injury/whatever, they tack it on to the end of the half. You can't continuously stop and start soccer, like football, baseball, etc. That means plays/substitutions have to be made on the fly. I find it incredibly more entertaining than other sports.

And if it's boring to you, oh well. :shrug:

I'm not going to watch the NBA finals because it's boring to me.

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 11:12 PM
this year's NBA finals have been epic

Maiden33
06-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Might as well throw my 2 cents into the ring here regarding sports:

I think hockey annihilates everything else.

Behind that...

I appreciate basketball for the pace of the game, but I don't appreciate the fact that I consider it practically the easiest of the "Major" sports to play. I want to see these guys have to ice skate while they play basketball, and maybe we'd be talking. Still, it's not mind-numbing for me to watch, and I totally understand WHY people like it.

I think baseball and football are both boring as fuck for a bunch of different reasons. Football I especially dislike for the atrocious action-to-inaction ratio in a broadcast. For every 5 seconds of action, there's roughly 35 seconds of guys standing around. I also don't think there's a sport that loses so many points for how people involved in it directly (on all levels) are arrogant douches that think their jobs are SO much more important than they are. On the subject of baseball, I can somewhat forgive its boring quality for the sake of the fact that the games are supposed to have more of a relaxed, good-timey feel, rather than an intense and emotional one. I can respect that, but I still find it boring - and it comes down to that in the end.

I confess I have never followed soccer enough to really "get it" or make a fair assessment, so I'm not going to try.

Regarding "secondary" sports: I think golf is a great relaxing game to play but watching it on TV is about as interesting as watching a documentary on paint drying. Nascar? Pfft. I gotta admit, I don't watch a lot of it on TV, but I really enjoy tennis a lot. I'll occasionally watch it on TV and it's the only sport I actively play. Hard to explain why I like it, I just do.

I guess that about covers everything - aside from my weird interest in watching Championship Billiards on TV. :eyes:

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 11:38 PM
What has happened to football? It used tone mybfavoritr but now it's becoming utterly painful 2 watch.

mankvill
06-13-2010, 12:20 AM
I think golf is a great relaxing game to play

FUCK THAT

I HATE PLAYING GOLF

AUUUGH IT MAKES ME BURST A BLOOD VESSEL JUST THINKING ABOUT IT

InPatient5100
06-13-2010, 02:27 AM
then don't think about playing it

SomewhereInTime72
06-13-2010, 09:33 AM
FUCK THAT

I HATE PLAYING GOLF

AUUUGH IT MAKES ME BURST A BLOOD VESSEL JUST THINKING ABOUT IT

Someone's bad at putting. ;)

JLRedWing13
06-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Football is still one of the best sports to watch for me.....but maybe being in a college marching band and getting to see the games really close up has something to do with that.

mankvill
06-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Someone's bad at putting. ;)

Putting is awesome. If I could have someone drive for me and I could just putt, I'd play golf every fucking day.

Maiden33
06-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Putting is awesome. If I could have someone drive for me and I could just putt, I'd play golf every fucking day.

Mini-golf. I was 3 under par the last time I played. :D

powerslave_85
06-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I watched the game yesterday. It was entertaining, I guess, but not something I could see myself getting into. I plan on watching the other US games if can, though. I just wish they'd get rid of those fucking vuvuzelas. Half the fun of soccer (like college football, sort of) is all the chants and spontaneous singing from the fans. It's not the same when you can fucking hear the fans because of that damn buzzing sound. It must be absolutely maddening being on field.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-13-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm a huge sports fan and never thought I'd like soccer until I discovered the English Premier League. At first it does look like a lot of running around and kicking a ball back and forth, but once you watch and learn the game, it can be very exciting and the most nerve-wracking sport you can watch. Especially if your team is ahead by just one goal going into the final minutes.

I'm not going to convince the haters, just relating my experience.

mankvill
06-13-2010, 01:04 PM
Germany fucking dominated Australia today.

ChildrenofSodom
06-13-2010, 01:11 PM
They are so stupid. Where is soccer in the FIFA acronym?

mankvill
06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
They are so stupid. Where is soccer in the FIFA acronym?

I'M TAKING DA TROLLBAIT

Fédération Internationale de Football Association

ChildrenofSodom
06-13-2010, 03:21 PM
In an article about possibly banning the vuvuthings, "Yet at the same time, Blatter is right (for once) when he says we should not impose Western values on South Africa." Some fans are experiencing hearing loss and the players said they can't hear each other on the field. How is taking away a disturbance that obstructs the game "imposing western values?"

The author in the article compared it to banning beer at an American football game. I'm not buying that.

mankvill
06-13-2010, 03:32 PM
In an article about possibly banning the vuvuthings, "Yet at the same time, Blatter is right (for once) when he says we should not impose Western values on South Africa." Some fans are experiencing hearing loss and the players said they can't hear each other on the field. How is taking away a disturbance that obstructs the game "imposing western values?"

The author in the article compared it to banning beer at an American football game. I'm not buying that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPVlAhK2j2o what?

ChildrenofSodom
06-13-2010, 03:39 PM
I just dont get how the noise keeps going....surely there is some point in the game where every gets tired of blowing into a horn and just takes a break, right? I mean, do they take shifts?

youngandaspiring
06-14-2010, 03:49 PM
I've watched nearly all the games so far, and have been very disappointed. Only Germany have looked impressive so far, and we've had a lot of stinkers. England/USA was AWESOME though for the UK pub atmosphere.

idrinkwine732
06-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Not a lot of good games so far.

JLRedWing13
06-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Hoping this will pick up once we get to the knockout rounds.......

InPatient5100
06-14-2010, 05:58 PM
def I really hope

ChildrenofSodom
06-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Soccer is gay. http://www.theonion.com/video/soccer-officially-announces-it-is-gay,17603/

InPatient5100
06-14-2010, 08:08 PM
:LOLFC::LOLFC:

Sinfulsot
06-15-2010, 06:35 AM
last night's Daily Show's bit about US v England was rather amusing.

powerslave_85
06-15-2010, 09:56 AM
last night's Daily Show's bit about US v England was rather amusing.
"And I think you should go fuck yourself the exact same amount" :lol:

Crionics
06-15-2010, 10:17 AM
Was watching a little bit of Slovakia vs New Zealand this morning..Slovakia was leading 1-0 when I turned it off, did they end up winning?

powerslave_85
06-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Was watching a little bit of Slovakia vs New Zealand this morning..Slovakia was leading 1-0 when I turned it off, did they end up winning?
No, New Zealand tied in stoppage time. It was a 1-1 draw.

ChildrenofSodom
06-15-2010, 10:26 AM

I dont know, but they (http://www.google.com/)might be able to help you.

mankvill
06-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Could the ref of that game be more of a Slovenian cocksucker? Jesus.

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Could the ref of that game be more of a Slovenian cocksucker? Jesus.

He took back a perfectly legit goal from the US. That was a win.

ravenheart
06-18-2010, 10:09 AM
I just dont get how the noise keeps going....surely there is some point in the game where every gets tired of blowing into a horn and just takes a break, right? I mean, do they take shifts?

Basically, yes. There are enough of the brainless zombies doing it that whenever some stop, there's always some more who have already had their break and are going at that time.

There are certain Premiership grounds, Portsmouth springing immediately to mind, where the fans make constant noise, although not with anything nearly as irritating. I hate it personally because it makes it very hard to get involved in the highs and lows of the game if everyone is cheering/singing/whatevering at the same volume the whole time.

I haven't watched a single game of this World Cup, and I probably won't, simply because doing so is too annoying. I might try it with the TV muted...

Apparently Wimbledon have had to officially ban vuvuzalas this year, just in case the craze carries on and people bring them back!

DethMaiden
06-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Apparently Wimbledon have had to officially ban vuvuzalas this year, just in case the craze carries on and people bring them back!

Thank God. Could you imagine trying to play tennis, on par with only golf in terms of the level of concentration required by the individual, with those noises going on? Yeesh. Would ruin it from a fan's perspective too, and I plan on taking in a day of Wimbledon next summer.

ravenheart
06-18-2010, 10:37 AM
on par with only golf in terms of the level of concentration required by the individual

And snooker.

ChildrenofSodom
06-18-2010, 11:49 AM
I hate it personally because it makes it very hard to get involved in the highs and lows of the game if everyone is cheering/singing/whatevering at the same volume the whole time.

Exactly! I couldn't tell if what was going on was good or bad, because of the dull roar constantly coming from the stands.

JLRedWing13
06-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Well, that was bs. He didn't even give the US team an explanation after the match.

England tying means we still have a chance if we win our last match.

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Well, that was bs. He didn't even give the US team an explanation after the match.

England tying means we still have a chance if we win our last match.

He should have taken the Detroit/First Base Umpire approach and just said he was wrong.

I can't see a thing in that play that could have been called a foul. If anything, there should have been a penalty kick.

mankvill
06-18-2010, 05:20 PM
http://cdn.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

^_^ sup ravenheart

NecroRob
06-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Of course we get the shitty African ref in his first ever World Cup game :bouville:

At least England kinda fucked up today so all we gotta do is win, which apparently is harder then it looks in this tournament :hecho:

mankvill
06-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Of course we get the shitty African ref in his first ever World Cup game :bouville:

At least England kinda fucked up today so all we gotta do is win, which apparently is harder then it looks in this tournament :hecho:

If we win, we advance. If we tie, England can win or tie, but we have to beat them in goals. If we lose, England HAS to lose.

I think that's right.

NecroRob
06-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah that's how I understand it.

idrinkwine732
06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
If we win, we advance. If we tie, England can win or tie, but we have to beat them in goals. If we lose, England HAS to lose.

I think that's right.

England = Fucked.

ravenheart
06-19-2010, 03:47 AM
England = Fucked.

Nah, if we win we're through, regardless of the US result.

If we draw, we need you to lose. We lose we're out.

ravenheart
06-19-2010, 03:51 AM
http://cdn.majorleaguesoccertalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-sun-world-cup-2010.jpg

^_^ sup ravenheart

Haha, I remember that... I think I was at an airport somewhere that day.

I certainly thought we'd have no trouble. At least until Capello picked such a bad squad. And then insisted on picking the wrong players to start each game. If he starts Heskey again against Slovenia, we deserve to go out.

Not that I've watched a minute of either of our games so far... :eyes:

No Fulham players = no interest.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-19-2010, 06:52 AM

You can watch the US and pull for Dempsey.

Even though there are 3 Chelsea players in the England squad (Joey Cole was just released) I just have a hard time pulling for England. Maybe because they have players I can't stand like Rooney and Gerrard.

What was really strange was last week when Lampard was trying to score on Howard. Normally I'm wanting Lamps to score in that situation (Chelsea v Everton), but the roles were totally reversed.

ravenheart
06-19-2010, 06:58 AM
You can watch the US and pull for Dempsey.

I was at Sweden Rock during the England-US game. And definitely not going to watch any games England aren't in!

I would really rather the US, Ghana, Nigeria, Australia and South Africa all go out in the group stages so that all of our players come home early and aren't injured. We already lost Senderos, who we just signed a week ago, to injury.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Yeah, I want all the Chelsea players coming back in one piece. Hope Drogba doesn't injure his arm any further by playing. He's pretty much all the Ivory Coast have.

idrinkwine732
06-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Nah, if we win we're through, regardless of the US result.

If we draw, we need you to lose. We lose we're out.

The probability of USA losing to Algeria is small, although it is very very possible for England to take Slovenia.

Fulham supporter? Ah, you're alright then.

mankvill
06-19-2010, 12:42 PM
http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/1314/bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzworldcup.jpg

JLRedWing13
06-19-2010, 02:59 PM
The way the US played in the first half, it's definitely possible that we could lose to Algeria. I hope that second half rally woke them up.

ChildrenofSodom
06-20-2010, 12:16 PM
OMG, so many great draws this year!

JLRedWing13
06-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Brazil advances....surprise surprise.

ravenheart
06-20-2010, 03:28 PM
If the vuvuzelas weren't enough to ruin this World Cup, the referees are trying their hardest to do their bit too. Anyone else see Kaka's sending off?

JLRedWing13
06-20-2010, 04:04 PM
If the vuvuzelas weren't enough to ruin this World Cup, the referees are trying their hardest to do their bit too. Anyone else see Kaka's sending off?

I agree, the officiating has been consistently bad ever since Henry's handball.

mankvill
06-20-2010, 07:40 PM
OMG, so many great draws this year!

he likes basketball.

:lol:

TonyD
06-20-2010, 09:05 PM
So... we go to the next round?

ChildrenofSodom
06-20-2010, 09:22 PM
he likes basketball.

:lol:

Dude, we were complaining about draws during the group stage....well, are we into the elimination rounds yet? Because some teams are still drawing!

mankvill
06-20-2010, 09:22 PM
Dude, we were complaining about draws during the group stage....well, are we into the elimination rounds yet? Because some teams are still drawing!

Nope. Not yet. One more game per group.

ravenheart
06-21-2010, 04:56 AM
So... we go to the next round?

If you beat Algeria. Or you draw with Algeria and England draw with, or lose to, Slovenia.

mastodon421
06-21-2010, 05:03 AM
Portugal is murdering North Korea. Portugal should seriously have about 9 goals by now.

ChildrenofSodom
06-21-2010, 06:05 AM
Nope. Not yet. One more game per group.

So, why do they even play these games anyway? Why are people talking about "going to the next round"?

DethMaiden
06-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Happy to see Portugal beat North Korea 7-0. Hopefully Kim Jong Il doesn't get pissed about that.

ravenheart
06-21-2010, 09:53 AM
So, why do they even play these games anyway? Why are people talking about "going to the next round"?

Sporting reason: to reduce from 32 teams to 16. All football tournaments have a group stage and then a knockout stage. This is standard. Top 2 teams from each group, of which there are 8, go through to the knockout stage.

Real reason: make more money.

TonyD
06-21-2010, 10:12 AM
Happy to see Portugal beat North Korea 7-0. Hopefully Kim Jong Il doesn't get pissed about that.

Why does everybody fucking suck at soccer?
http://lastrow.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/kim-jong-il.jpg

ChildrenofSodom
06-21-2010, 07:06 PM
A bunch of kids here at Ohio State are planning to bring zuzuvelas to the Penn State home football game. ugh....I will probably be able to hear it from my dorm....

mankvill
06-21-2010, 07:27 PM
A bunch of kids here at Ohio State are planning to bring zuzuvelas to the Penn State home football game. ugh....I will probably be able to hear it from my dorm....

:fist:

JLRedWing13
06-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Go Nittany Lions.

ChildrenofSodom
06-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Go Nittany Lions.

Fuck that. O-H!

mankvill
06-21-2010, 09:32 PM
Fuck that. O-H!

I-O! I wish I went to Ohio for the sole reason of using that call.

Also: Big XII - More drama than a 14 year old on Myspace.

ChildrenofSodom
06-22-2010, 01:02 PM

The Big Ten said no. (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/13364/big-ten-leave-your-vuvuzela-at-home)

mankvill
06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
I'd be embarassed to be French right now.

I mean, even more so...

es156
06-22-2010, 04:26 PM
I'd be embarassed to be French right now.

I mean, even more so...

Ha ha, no doubt.

JLRedWing13
06-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Fuck that. O-H!

November 27.

ChildrenofSodom
06-23-2010, 07:55 AM
http://www.solocomputerservices.com/img/wallpaper/USA.jpg

mankvill
06-23-2010, 08:06 AM
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6579/1277243583941.jpg

ravenheart
06-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Awesome keeping right there.

Crionics
06-23-2010, 10:58 AM
Good day for sports! I woke up and watched the later half of US vs Algeria, we advance :D

Now watching Tennis, Isner vs Mahut, just got to 100 games in the fifth set :eek:

DethMaiden
06-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Now watching Tennis, Isner vs Mahut, just got to 100 games in the fifth set :eek:

Crazy, they've got to be fucking exhausted. Last year's Wimbledon final is one of my all-time best sporting events I've ever witnessed, Roddick and Federer going to 30 games in the fifth set. The stakes are lower here so it's not as intense at least superficially but it's still way fucking awesome.

Crionics
06-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Crazy, they've got to be fucking exhausted. Last year's Wimbledon final is one of my all-time best sporting events I've ever witnessed, Roddick and Federer going to 30 games in the fifth set. The stakes are lower here so it's not as intense at least superficially but it's still way fucking awesome.

Damn it's going in to tommarow, wow this is unbelievable, 59-59 :eek:

I saw that last year too, was great. My dad got to watch Bjorg vs McEnroe in which the fourth set went to 18-16 tiebreaker

JLRedWing13
06-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Great win for the Americans today.

ravenheart
06-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Great win for the Americans today.

It wasn't that great ;)

Ghana next for you I think? Germany for us.

JLRedWing13
06-23-2010, 01:59 PM
It wasn't that great ;)

Ghana next for you I think? Germany for us.

Yes. I think you guys got the better draw in this case.

ravenheart
06-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I think Germany will beat us. Ghana-US is hard to call. Ghana look decent so far.

And some Fulham interest in that game too! Dempsey v Pantsil.

idrinkwine732
06-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Ghana were looking pretty good against Germany, mistakes made the game go the other way though.

treghet
06-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Japan advances after taking out Denmark. They deserved it - Denmark played like shit and the only goal they scored was off a penalty kick from a bad call by the ref.

idrinkwine732
06-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Two of those Japan goals were beauties as well.

300%_Density
06-26-2010, 12:47 PM
Damnit Ghana is gonna do it to us again.

Crionics
06-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Damnit, we're done..

NecroRob
06-26-2010, 01:15 PM
:bouville:

idrinkwine732
06-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Who didn't see that coming?

NecroRob
06-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah I kinda saw it coming, but not in that fashion. I thought for sure they were gonna win after they got that free kick though, they had plenty of chances.

ravenheart
06-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Not surprised. Ghana have the best parts of African football (big and strong) and can pass the ball as well as the European nations.

Plus, several of the US players are shattered. Look at Dempsey. He's probably played more games this season than anyone else in the World Cup. But the US need him. He's going down the right against Johnny Pantsil, who's played half as many games and is comparitively fresh. Across the field Ghana have more strength than the US, so I always figured this would be tough.

Don't worry thought. We're going out tomorrow. Out heads aren't in this competition at all.

ChildrenofSodom
06-26-2010, 05:48 PM
.....and now I dont care about soccer again.

ravenheart
06-26-2010, 06:30 PM
.....and now I dont care about soccer again.

You didn't care before.

mankvill
06-26-2010, 07:34 PM
US played like a bitch and deserved to get beat like bitches.

Ah well. Go Germany!

ChildrenofSodom
06-26-2010, 08:12 PM
You didn't care before.

I cared when my countrymen were succeeding. I'll always cheer for my country in sporting events. I dont give a shit about the Olympics (except basketball) but I still support my country. I guess I'm a fair weather patriot.

JLRedWing13
06-26-2010, 09:18 PM
New coach, new strikers, and new defense for 2014 plz.

treghet
06-26-2010, 11:42 PM
US played like a bitch and deserved to get beat like bitches.

Ah well. Go Germany!

I agree. Watching the first half was almost embarrassing. Oh well... I'm looking forward to the games today! I'm hoping Germany wins as well.

300%_Density
06-27-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm onboard for new strikers in 2014 but hopefully we can actually sustain this progress (like '02) and not regress ('06). That seems to be the pattern that hopefully US can come out of in '14. I'll still pay attention. Prob not like I was before but still pay attention. Nothing like the Olympics which I have just grown to hate.

ravenheart
06-27-2010, 08:00 AM
And that went exactly as expected too.

I think Italy getting knocked out was the last surprise we're going to see in this World Cup.

JLRedWing13
06-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Didn't watch, but judging by the score it probably wasn't pretty.

Crionics
06-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Germany better win in the next one.

Crionics
06-27-2010, 10:37 AM
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9926/vuvuzelaburzum640x552.jpg (http://img692.imageshack.us/i/vuvuzelaburzum640x552.jpg/)

DethMaiden
06-27-2010, 10:38 AM
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9926/vuvuzelaburzum640x552.jpg (http://img692.imageshack.us/i/vuvuzelaburzum640x552.jpg/)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, too fucking perfect.

SomewhereInTime72
06-27-2010, 10:53 AM

LOL

JLRedWing13
06-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Argentina is ripping Mexico a new one...

evildeadjedi
06-27-2010, 11:45 AM

I wonder how long it will take for a band to put vuvuzelas in their music?

Burzum is a good guess on the first one though! :lol:

JLRedWing13
06-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Oh, and I did I mention the refs in this World Cup have been absolutely terrible?

ravenheart
06-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Oh, and I did I mention the refs in this World Cup have been absolutely terrible?

They've certainly had a bad day today. One goal disallowed that should have stood, one allowed to stand that was offside.

JLRedWing13
06-27-2010, 12:13 PM
They've certainly had a bad day today. One goal disallowed that should have stood, one allowed to stand that was offside.

I don't know if it would have saved Mexico, but that England-Germany game would have been much closer if the right call was made...

idrinkwine732
06-27-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't know if it would have saved Mexico, but that England-Germany game would have been much closer if the right call was made...

Mexico fell apart after the first goal, and I think England could have kept the game better if the calls had been right.

JLRedWing13
06-27-2010, 12:42 PM
FIFA isn't holding these guys accountable either, with the exception of the one who called the phantom foul in the US-Slovenia game.

treghet
07-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Well that Ghana / Uruguay game was really something. If you didn't watch it you really missed out.

JLRedWing13
07-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Hell yeah Germany and Holland! :D

darkguardian50
07-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Well that Ghana / Uruguay game was really something. If you didn't watch it you really missed out.

One of the best soccer games I have seen. Very evenly matched, great drama and some fantastic goal attempts (did you see that near miss on the bicycle kick midway through the 2nd half? Terrific shot, he only barely missed). I felt so horrible for the Ghana(ian?) team.

I do think though if you give a red card that would have resulted in a clear goal, it should be a goal. Not a penalty kick. If the Uruguay guy hadn't put his hands on the ball to knock it down then Ghana would have won.

Crionics
07-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Finals tommarow!

ravenheart
07-10-2010, 05:30 PM
I do think though if you give a red card that would have resulted in a clear goal, it should be a goal. Not a penalty kick. If the Uruguay guy hadn't put his hands on the ball to knock it down then Ghana would have won.

This has been talked about, because that's exactly what happens in Rugby.

Goal-line technology is also back on the agenda after the England-Germany game.

Nothing will happen though. It'll be the same as always, they'll discuss it, put forward ideas, and ultimately decide it would detract from the authenticity of the game. It's now such an old cycle of events that even venturing the discussion has become pointless.

And I really wanted Ghana to make it. Johnny P at right back is one of ours and it would have been a fantastic achievement for them.

Crionics
07-10-2010, 05:36 PM
This has been talked about, because that's exactly what happens in Rugby.

Goal-line technology is also back on the agenda after the England-Germany game.

Nothing will happen though. It'll be the same as always, they'll discuss it, put forward ideas, and ultimately decide it would detract from the authenticity of the game. It's now such an old cycle of events that even venturing the discussion has become pointless.

And I really wanted Ghana to make it. Johnny P at right back is one of ours and it would have been a fantastic achievement for them.

Did you see the booing of Suarez today?

ChildrenofSodom
07-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Lets go Netherlands!!! I want a blowjob from a pornstar!!!!

treghet
07-11-2010, 02:53 AM
Not much longer until the game... The Netherlands better win!!!

JLRedWing13
07-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Spain won. :bouville:

ravenheart
07-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Precisely the result I've been predicting all week. I should have put some money on it.

A fair result though. The Dutch seemed content to spend all day fouling Spain to keep them from passing through them, so they deserved to lose. Much as I wanted them to win.

ravenheart
07-11-2010, 03:10 PM
Did you see the booing of Suarez today?

No...

Crionics
07-11-2010, 03:28 PM
No...

Haha that was yesterday..Everyone in South Africa booed whenever he had the ball because of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcQkwxEGRYc.