PDA

View Full Version : Iron Maiden Dallas review from the Dallas Observer (Spoilers)

Maiden33
06-10-2010, 04:28 PM
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2010/06/last_night_iron_maiden_and_dre.php

Kinda pissed at a few comments:

"I'm a fan of '80s Maiden," proclaimed one tattooed spectator. "I don't even know what most of these songs are called."

"the new songs just aren't the classics of such early Maiden fare as "Aces High," "The Trooper" and the band's signature cut "Run to the Hills."
AND IRON MAIDEN DID NOT PLAY ANY OF THOSE."

"fans trudged away from the venue--some ecstatic just to have seen Iron Maiden in Dallas for the first time in nearly a decade, others grumbling about not hearing the songs that brought the band to prominence back in the day."

"Perhaps 13 is the best age to truly appreciate Iron Maiden."

powerslave_85
06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Great, now Bruce is going to hate us even more.

DethMaiden
06-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Wow, I can't put into words how ignorant those quotes make the reviewer sound. :tp:

TonyD
06-10-2010, 04:53 PM
:lol:

JRA
06-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Great, now Bruce is going to hate us even more.

Yup.

mankvill
06-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Fuck bitches. :bouville:

Crionics
06-10-2010, 06:00 PM
:lol: at the first reviwer and random fan. How can you not be excited for Wicker/Ghost 1-2 punch?

powerslave_85
06-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Aside from maybe Aces High, I think Wicker Man is their best opener.

bt11763
06-10-2010, 06:08 PM
these people are dumb, but this is my first time seeing maiden and i would like to see a few more classics :eyes:

Dissimulate
06-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Everybody bitching about them not playing classics should realize that they've played their classics on about every fucking tour ever, and have played reunion material like 3 times. (hyperbole)

Dissimulate
06-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Fuck double post.

Sanitarium78
06-10-2010, 06:20 PM
I know a lot of you don't like what he said but he's not completly in the wrong here. Maiden still sells loads of tickets to their shows because of what they did in the 80s. Not because of what they've done the last 3 albums. The vast majority of the people coming are people who wanna hear the old stuff. As great as the last three albums are I prefer they dropped a few of the newer ones in favor ANYTHING off of POM, SIT and Seventh Son.

I'll give you guys an example of an older fan of Maiden that I used to work worth back when AMOLAD came out. He was in his early 40s and used to love Maiden back in 80s when he was younger. But he grew up and got married and had two kids and that became his life from that point on. He pretty much thought they ended when Bruce left after FOTD and wasn't even aware that he was back with them and had done three albums already. It's not about being ignorant so much as it's about once you grow up there are more important things than listening to Maiden. When all you youngins on here get older you'll understand what i'm talking about;)

Anyways, I burned him the last three albums and he loved them. Without me he probably would never have heard these great albums. But just because he liked them doesn't mean they're gonna have special place the 80s stuff does with him. Maiden will draw a lot of people around his age who are in the same boat as he was when it comes to the new stuff. While they may like it, they prefer to listen to the stuff that got them into the band. The stuff that makes them feel nostalgic about their youth and brings back fond memories. Songs like NML and TCDR, while good, deffinately don't do that at all for a lot of people going to these shows.

I think the fans who are upset have every right to be because being in my early 30s I get what they're saying. I do like the newer stuff a lot too. So, i'm one of those who's torn between fans of both era's. I understand both sides of the debate but I still lean towards the older stuff because that's what got me into them.

SomewhereInTime72
06-10-2010, 06:25 PM
ALL BANDS SHOULD PLAY THE SAME SONGS ALL TOURS

mankvill
06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
ALL BANDS SHOULD PLAY THE SAME SONGS ALL TOURS

:fist:

Dextrimental
06-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Personally, that setlist is perfect, bar the AMOLAD stuff, since they played that album in whole on that tour, I think only one song, if any, should suffice. Also, I agree, they should play the classics at every concert. Wanna know why? BECUASE THEYRE FUCKING CLASSICS. Theyre the famous songs, the ones that are on the greatest hits. Its why Metallica will never drop Enter Sandman, or The Rolling Stones will never drop Paint it Black. Theyre classic songs, theyre what most people pay to see. Yes if youve seen them a bunch of times, you'd rather hear a few different songs, but the crowd isn't composed of people who've seen them a bunch of times, alot of them are kids who wanna see the big songs for the frist time. This setlist is as great a setlist as I could imagine seeing, without another 'classics' tour.

bt11763
06-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Personally, that setlist is perfect, bar the AMOLAD stuff, since they played that album in whole on that tour, I think only one song, if any, should suffice. Also, I agree, they should play the classics at every concert. Wanna know why? BECUASE THEYRE FUCKING CLASSICS. Theyre the famous songs, the ones that are on the greatest hits. Its why Metallica will never drop Enter Sandman, or The Rolling Stones will never drop Paint it Black. Theyre classic songs, theyre what most people pay to see. Yes if youve seen them a bunch of times, you'd rather hear a few different songs, but the crowd isn't composed of people who've seen them a bunch of times, alot of them are kids who wanna see the big songs for the frist time. This setlist is as great a setlist as I could imagine seeing, without another 'classics' tour.

boom.

Maiden33
06-10-2010, 08:56 PM
One more pointless thought:

Regarding comments about "the classics":
I'll bite, that maybe they should be willing to oblige people who want to hear the classics... but isn't 4 or 5 set staples enough? Because there's that many in this setlist. I'm willing to agree that 4 or 5 songs is fine, but I am Not willing to agree that every Maiden set needs to include:

Iron Maiden (a given, though)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (fine with this)
Fear of the Dark
Number of the beast
Run to the Hills
The Trooper
2 Minutes to Midnight
Wrathchild
Either Can I Play with Madness, The Clairvoyant, or The Evil That Men Do

Half of these in any setlist is more than enough. Also, I think this was mentioned in the other thread: Wasted Years and Aces High aren't staples. They may be hits, but both of them have only ever been played on 4 and 3 tours total, respectively.

idrinkwine732
06-10-2010, 08:57 PM

*enters kid who wants to see the big songs for the first time*

Sup guys?

Dextrimental
06-10-2010, 09:04 PM
One more pointless thought:

Regarding comments about "the classics":
I'll bite, that maybe they should be willing to oblige people who want to hear the classics... but isn't 4 or 5 set staples enough? Because there's that many in this setlist. I'm willing to agree that 4 or 5 songs is fine, but I am Not willing to agree that every Maiden set needs to include:

Iron Maiden (a given, though)
Hallowed Be Thy Name (fine with this)
Fear of the Dark
Number of the beast
Run to the Hills
The Trooper
2 Minutes to Midnight
Wrathchild
Either Can I Play with Madness, The Clairvoyant, or The Evil That Men Do

Half of these in any setlist is more than enough. Also, I think this was mentioned in the other thread: Wasted Years and Aces High aren't staples. They may be hits, but both of them have only ever been played on 4 and 3 tours total, respectively.

I agree with what youre saying, its just that 4 or 5 should be the minimum they play. And 4 or 5 from this list would make me happy.

Dextrimental
06-10-2010, 09:06 PM
*enters kid who wants to see the big songs for the first time*

Sup guys?

Not a kid, and yes, I want to see NOTB, FOTD and Iron Maiden live from the 'big songs'. I'm actually happier bout the BNW material more than anything else.

After that, my ideal setlist would be fairly obscure. I only got mad there cuz it seems to me that most of you 'diehard' Maiden fans will never be happy. Which really grates on me.

idrinkwine732
06-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I was referring to myself, and I agree with you.

Dextrimental
06-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I was referring to myself, and I agree with you.

Oh right, thank you!

Sorry, Im used to having to defend myself against practically everyone on this board when I post an opinion.

SomewhereInTime72
06-10-2010, 10:11 PM
I agree with what youre saying, its just that 4 or 5 should be the minimum they play. And 4 or 5 from this list would make me happy.

guess what bro

they are playing 4 of those songs

IrritatedTrout
06-10-2010, 11:10 PM

Hallowed Be Thy Name. It's there, along with 4 others. So what's the problem?

Maiden33
06-10-2010, 11:38 PM
guess what bro

they are playing 4 of those songs

This.

Hallowed Be Thy Name. It's there, along with 4 others. So what's the problem?

Also, this.

Sanitarium78
06-11-2010, 08:52 AM
I've been a little critical of them not doing a few more old tunes. But I did make a playlist on my iPOD of the current set and it flows very well together I think. I would just get something cooler than Running Free to end with. That's really the only downside to the set I think. But like i've said on one of the numerous Maiden threads about this show so far, I can't blame some people for being upset at what they're doing. Especially if you're not that into the newer stuff like a lot of people going will be.

InPatient5100
06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
I think they should do the older stuff

Crionics
06-11-2010, 10:50 AM
i'm disspointd cuz ther not plying queen of the reich

TonyD
06-11-2010, 11:13 AM

JRA
06-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Theyre the famous songs, the ones that are on the greatest hits. Its why or The Rolling Stones will never drop Paint it Black.

bad example.

rjturtle9
06-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Dude, off topic, but every time I see any of your posts, I always think your using the party smilely for whatever is written in your post. Confuses the shit outta me sometimes when I'm skimming through a thread.

Crionics
06-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Dude, off topic, but every time I see any of your posts, I always think your using the party smilely for whatever is written in your post. Confuses the shit outta me sometimes when I'm skimming through a thread.

Haha sorry, I'll remove the party thing from my sig if you'd like.

rjturtle9
06-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Haha sorry, I'll remove the party thing from my sig if you'd like.

Awwwww don't do that, I don't want to be a boner kill. It's just something I thought was funny is all ;)

Crionics
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM
Awwwww don't do that, I don't want to be a boner kill. It's just something I thought was funny is all ;)

ooo lol, haha put a smiley next time, like this ;)

rjturtle9
06-11-2010, 12:40 PM
ooo lol, haha put a smiley next time, like this ;)

yes yes, do that haha

SomewhereInTime72
06-11-2010, 01:04 PM
I just wanted to point out the flaw here. The Enter Sandman thing doesn't really apply to Maiden, because they don't really have any single song that represents their popularity to that degree: instead of one or two songs that everyone considers a classic, they have about 8 that just about everyone knows and loves. As popular as those songs are, it would be boring as hell for them to always play those 8 songs, for both the regular fans (as in people that regularly go to the shows) and the band themselves. 8 songs is half the damn setlist. Metallica's set isn't nearly that constricted by always playing Enter Sandman and Nothing Else Matters. I for one am GLAD that Maiden draw the line somewhere, and don't play every single popular song on every tour. Playing 4 or 5 of those songs is fine, and doesn't really get stale.
Just for fun, imagine if this tours set was this:

The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Wrathchild
No More Lies
Number of the Beast
The Wicker Man
Running Free
El Dorado
The Evil That Men Do
The Trooper
Can I Play With Madness
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden

2 Minutes To Midnight
Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Some people that don't like reunion Maiden might prefer something like this. Heck, I would love it. But I still like the current setlist better. If Maiden were a lesser band and catered to their fans (clingy complaining dipshits), they would do this set every tour, only changing the order and about 4 songs per tour. I'm glad they're not doing that.
It's not about being ignorant so much as it's about once you grow up there are more important things than listening to Maiden. When all you youngins on here get older you'll understand what i'm talking about;)

Also just wanted to say I'm not so sure I will ever understand this. :eyes: Both of my parents are now in their 50s and never once stopped actively following their favorite bands. :eyes:

Maiden33
06-11-2010, 01:09 PM
The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg
Wrathchild
No More Lies
Number of the Beast
The Wicker Man
Running Free
El Dorado
The Evil That Men Do
The Trooper
Can I Play With Madness
Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden

2 Minutes To Midnight
Run To The Hills
Hallowed Be Thy Name

:zzz::zzz::zzz:

IrritatedTrout
06-11-2010, 03:35 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Also just wanted to say I'm not so sure I will ever understand this. :eyes: Both of my parents are now in their 50s and never once stopped actively following their favorite bands. :eyes:

Yeah, I don't see why anyone would stop having personal interests once they got married. That seems..... miserable.

Sanitarium78
06-11-2010, 06:17 PM

I don't doubt there aren't people who continue to to that but there's a lot more who don't I think. My dad is 62 and still follows The Rolling Stones like he's still in his 20s. But there are far more people out there who don't do that with bands they used to like than people who do from what i've seen.

To what Dextremental said about the Rolling Stones always doing Paint It Black. That is not the case at all. In fact to hear them do the song is a rariety now. They did it on their last tour a few years ago but before that it had been at least 20 years since it was performed live, and before that they went many years not doing it. Sympathy For The Devil, Brown Sugar and Satisfaction would've been better examples.

Anyways, Maiden is gonna do what they're gonna do with the set. Maybe it'll open some older fans eyes to the new stuff. But it's also gonna leave people with a lot of perplexed looks on their faces at these shows. I'm not sure if potentially alienatating a lot of people with a set like this is a good move for them though.

SomewhereInTime72
06-11-2010, 06:27 PM

Glad to see I dreamed up something effective. ;)
I don't doubt there aren't people who continue to to that but there's a lot more who don't I think. My dad is 62 and still follows The Rolling Stones like he's still in his 20s. But there are far more people out there who don't do that with bands they used to like than people who do from what i've seen.

The way I see it is, it all depends on priorities. Obviously as time goes by and life gets busier (or belongs to you less ;)), some things get (mostly) dropped from your life. But I think the more important things to you will never really get disrupted (unless shit hits the fan :(). If you're extremely passionate about music, it'll probably be one of those things you never forget about or grow out of. For a parallel example: some people that play video games regularly will have stopped by the time they leave college; and there are other people who play video games well into their 40s (this number would be higher if video games were an older concept, haha). Nerdy stereotypes aside, it's just obvious that for some people it was an integral part of their life that they didn't want to let go of, and another person may have just forgotten about it after a while and still held on to something else.

personally i plan on living my entire life void of social interaction and responsibilities so that i never let go of any of my hobbies and just accumulate more and more of them

DethMaiden
06-11-2010, 06:28 PM
personally i plan on living my entire life void of social interaction and responsibilities so that i never let go of any of my hobbies and just accumulate more and more of them

:rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Every penny that would be wasted on anniversary presents and diapers will be spent on comic books and concert tickets. :blaze:

idrinkwine732
06-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Darwin says "Hi"

Sanitarium78
06-11-2010, 07:21 PM
Glad to see I dreamed up something effective. ;)

The way I see it is, it all depends on priorities. Obviously as time goes by and life gets busier (or belongs to you less ;)), some things get (mostly) dropped from your life. But I think the more important things to you will never really get disrupted (unless shit hits the fan :()

Well shit can most deffinately hit the fan quick as you get older. It's also nice that you don't want to have any social interaction of responsibilities. I used to live like that to but unfortunately as you get older there's a lot of changes and you have to juggle more things. Weather you want it or not, responsibilites pile up when you get a few years older. According to your profile you're only 20. So within the next 5-10 years you'll understand what I mean.

It looks like a lot of the young fans on here are the ones praising Maidens set. Which is understandable but there are far more people going to see them for "old times sake" and they wanna hear some more old stuff. If Maiden truely wants to just cater to the diehards and younger fanbase, like it seems they want to with this set. Then they need to stop playing the larger venues becasue they're getting more casual fans than diehards. But that's how it usually goes when a band plays bigger venues.

mankvill
06-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Well shit can most deffinately hit the fan quick as you get older. It's also nice that you don't want to have any social interaction of responsibilities. I used to live like that to but unfortunately as you get older there's a lot of changes and you have to juggle more things. Weather you want it or not, responsibilites pile up when you get a few years older. According to your profile you're only 20. So within the next 5-10 years you'll understand what I mean.

It looks like a lot of the young fans on here are the ones praising Maidens set. Which is understandable but there are far more people going to see them for "old times sake" and they wanna hear some more old stuff. If Maiden truely wants to just cater to the diehards and younger fanbase, like it seems they want to with this set. Then they need to stop playing the larger venues becasue they're getting more casual fans than diehards. But that's how it usually goes when a band plays bigger venues.

Call me crazy, but I think there's way more people who call themselves Maiden fans who would way rather hear The Trooper, Run To The Hills, etc. than, say, Benjamin Breeg and AMOLAD stuff.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-11-2010, 07:54 PM
Call me crazy, but I think there's way more people who call themselves Maiden fans who would way rather hear The Trooper, Run To The Hills, etc. than, say, Benjamin Breeg and AMOLAD stuff.

Not crazy at all.

I really think it falls along age lines. Older fans want to hear the older stuff and the fans who discovered new Maiden before old Maiden don't see what all the fuss is about.

Kinda like the young fans here who rate newer Slayer albums over Reign in Blood. ;)

mankvill
06-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Not crazy at all.

I really think it falls along age lines. Older fans want to hear the older stuff and the fans who discovered new Maiden before old Maiden don't see what all the fuss is about.

Kinda like the young fans here who rate newer Slayer albums over Reign in Blood. ;)

IMO, i agree with what you say, but backwards kind of. To me, Maiden is a band who will always be one where anyone who gets into them will start with NOTB - SSOASS material. I dunno if that means more younger people will like BNW than older people, but whatever.

SomewhereInTime72
06-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Nah, that shit's just plain silly. ;)

mankvill
06-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Nah, that shit's just plain silly. ;)

:mad:

Maiden33
06-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Not crazy at all.

This kinda backwards as fuck. If anything, the old fans should want variety for the sake of variety, and the young fans should want to hear all the old stuff they didn't see back in the day. But instead we get most of the young fans being content and most of the old fans whining that there's no old stuff.

I'm sorry, but if my two choices are old over-played songs (because that's mostly all they ever do) or barely-played newer songs - I'm going newer songs ever single time.

Dissimulate
06-11-2010, 08:54 PM
In twenty years, all you people will be talking about how awesome it was to see Maiden play a bunch of reunion era material. I think people should just all stop bitching and be happy that they're seeing Maiden.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-11-2010, 08:59 PM
This kinda backwards as fuck. If anything, the old fans should want variety for the sake of variety, and the young fans should want to hear all the old stuff they didn't see back in the day. But instead we get most of the young fans being content and most of the old fans whining that there's no old stuff.

I'm sorry, but if my two choices are old over-played songs (because that's mostly all they ever do) or barely-played newer songs - I'm going newer songs ever single time.

But a lot of older fans either a) Don't like the newer material or b) Have never heard the newer material.

I guarantee you 75% of the people the other night and tonight have never heard these new songs.

Nothing worse to me than being at a concert and not knowing a majority of the songs being played.

mankvill
06-11-2010, 09:00 PM
In twenty years, all you people will be talking about how awesome it was to see Maiden play a bunch of reunion era material. I think people should just all stop bitching and be happy that they're seeing Maiden.

Yup. I remember when the SBIT tour started there was lots of arguing about the set and shit, but when Flight 666 came out and I watched it, I came into the mindset that if you're seeing Maiden, they could play pretty much anything and it would be amazing.

Maiden33
06-11-2010, 09:09 PM
or b) Have never heard the newer material.

I guarantee you 75% of the people the other night and tonight have never heard these new songs.

Nothing worse to me than being at a concert and not knowing a majority of the songs being played.

NOT an excuse. Not for one minute. The reunion albums are now 4, 7, and 10 years old, respectively. If you don't like them, fine. But shelling out extensive money (ie anything over like $50 to see any band that isn't just a hits machine) while having completely ignored their past 3 studio albums.... failure - and you deserve to get what's coming to you.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-11-2010, 09:17 PM
NOT an excuse. Not for one minute. The reunion albums are now 4, 7, and 10 years old, respectively. If you don't like them, fine. But shelling out extensive money (ie anything over like $50 to see any band that isn't just a hits machine) while having completely ignored their past 3 studio albums.... failure - and you deserve to get what's coming to you.

Not everyone is a die hard. Not a big deal to me as I know the new material and got in for free, but I can see where older fans would be pissed.

It's the same with every band. I know Journey has new albums, but when I see them in concert I want to hear the hits. Most bands get this.

It's Iron Maiden's right to play whatever they want. Some fans would go to see them play free form Jazz and piss their pants with excitement. Doesn't mean people have to like it.

InPatient5100
06-11-2010, 09:19 PM
they usually just ignore their past two records in that situation

Maiden33
06-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Not everyone is a die hard. Not a big deal to me as I know the new material and got in for free, but I can see where older fans would be pissed.

It's the same with every band. I know Journey has new albums, but when I see them in concert I want to hear the hits. Most bands get this.

It's Iron Maiden's right to play whatever they want. Some fans would go to see them play free form Jazz and piss their pants with excitement. Doesn't mean people have to like it.

1) Yes, I can see why they'd be pissed, but I think they're completely stupid for thinking they have a right to be pissed.

2) Journey = A "hits machine" as I was previously referring to. Any band who actually moves millions of copies of greatest hits albums and has nearly that many commercially successful hits = completely different story. Maiden are not one of those bands. I've already addressed that I think it's reasonable to expect 4 or 5 hits in a set, but they ARE giving that with this show.

3) Maiden would probably suck-ass at free-form Jazz. :lol:

InPatient5100
06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
lol ya they would prob eat bloody ass or just shoot heroin with dirty needles or maybe get fuckd in the ass

Dissimulate
06-11-2010, 09:36 PM
lol ya they would prob eat bloody ass or just shoot heroin with dirty needles or maybe get fuckd in the ass
What?

InPatient5100
06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
I heard that their drummer that Nickel McBrian guy had HIV

Maiden33
06-11-2010, 09:40 PM

I heard that their drummer that Nickel McBrian guy had HIV

:confused:

:tp:

Dissimulate
06-11-2010, 09:41 PM
The guy also likes Hellyeah, he might have some kind of developmental disability.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-11-2010, 09:45 PM
2) Journey = A "hits machine" as I was previously referring to. Any band who actually moves millions of copies of greatest hits albums and has nearly that many commercially successful hits = completely different story. Maiden are not one of those bands. I've already addressed that I think it's reasonable to expect 4 or 5 hits in a set, but they ARE giving that with this show.

To make the old school fans sit through an hour and a half of newer material (at least in Dallas) before they play one "hit" is lame.

I've made my opinion known now. I'm done with this subject.

mankvill
06-11-2010, 09:49 PM
To make the old school fans sit through an hour and a half of newer material (at least in Dallas) before they play one "hit" is lame.

I've made my opinion known now. I'm done with this subject.

You make it sound like Reunion-era Maiden is all bad.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-11-2010, 10:01 PM
You make it sound like Reunion-era Maiden is all bad.

It's not all bad to me. Brave New World and Ghost of the Navigator are two of my favorite Maiden songs. Like I've said, it wasn't that a big deal to me, but I can understand why a lot of the older fans are bitching about the set list.

You have to remember, Dallas didn't get the SBIT tour.

SomewhereInTime72
06-11-2010, 11:25 PM
But a lot of older fans either a) Don't like the newer material or b) Have never heard the newer material.

Yeah but if you pay $80 to see a band with 14 albums and you only know 6 of them and they said beforehand they were going to focus on newer material and then you don't know most of the songs then.... ...nope definitely maiden's fault on that one.

TonyD
06-12-2010, 01:26 AM

I know you and most of the people walking out pissed from these shows would take older barely played songs over anything. Either the band doesn't get that or they're a bunch of assholes.

mankvill
06-12-2010, 03:43 AM
Yeah but if you pay $80 to see a band with 14 albums and you only know 6 of them and they said beforehand they were going to focus on newer material and then you don't know most of the songs then.... ...nope definitely maiden's fault on that one.

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/1852/posermaidenfanspend80on.jpg

makethemsuffer12
06-12-2010, 03:48 AM

Post of the fucking day.

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 03:52 AM
sorry I forgot to take my anti-psychotic medication zyprexa last night

Crionics
06-12-2010, 04:10 AM

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 04:55 AM
mannn my dad loves Maiden, he's kind of a dick tho

makethemsuffer12
06-12-2010, 05:02 AM
mannn my dad loves Maiden, he's kind of a dick tho

http://jenden.us/storage/JD/img/cool_story_bro2.jpg

Sanitarium78
06-12-2010, 10:39 AM

How many concerts have you been to before? You should know that people spend the money on tickets a lot of the time just to be entertained. Compare a medium to lower level priced Maiden ticket to the cost of going out drinking with your friends or taking a woman out for the night. Odds are the maiden ticket is cheaper or around the same. That's why so many casual fans or non fans go to these shows. They wanna be entertained and they at least wanna hear some stuff they're familiar with before the 90 min mark of the show.

Yes, Maiden did say they were gonna focus on the new stuff this tour. But it's not like it was mentioned all over the internet, news boards and radio stations. So while it was made known not everyone going is gonna know that. Of all the people who are going to these shows there's maybe a few thousand in attendance at each one that are aware of what's going on.

The fault goes both ways. Should fans be better aware of who they're seeing live? Most certianly they should. But it's not like this is Maiden's first tour either and they should know better as to what the vast majority of people going to see them wanna hear.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
06-12-2010, 11:05 AM
How many concerts have you been to before? You should know that people spend the money on tickets a lot of the time just to be entertained. Compare a medium to lower level priced Maiden ticket to the cost of going out drinking with your friends or taking a woman out for the night. Odds are the maiden ticket is cheaper or around the same. That's why so many casual fans or non fans go to these shows. They wanna be entertained and they at least wanna hear some stuff they're familiar with before the 90 min mark of the show.

Yes, Maiden did say they were gonna focus on the new stuff this tour. But it's not like it was mentioned all over the internet, news boards and radio stations. So while it was made known not everyone going is gonna know that. Of all the people who are going to these shows there's maybe a few thousand in attendance at each one that are aware of what's going on.

The fault goes both ways. Should fans be better aware of who they're seeing live? Most certianly they should. But it's not like this is Maiden's first tour either and they should know better as to what the vast majority of people going to see them wanna hear.

This.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-12-2010, 11:41 AM

:fist:

Maiden33
06-12-2010, 05:21 PM

I don't know a single person who's ever gone to a Maiden show just "to be entertained for the night" because they had nothing better to do. Everyone I've ever encountered at a Maiden show claimed to be a fan who cares enough to want to go see them. I really, really don't think Maiden attracts as much of that demographic of people as this post makes it out to be.

I agree that the band could've made the fact more public knowledge, but it still wouldn't have changed anything. I would bet my last dollar on that. No matter what bands do to "brace fans for impact", there's tons of oblivious-ness and bitching. When I saw WASP do all of the Crimson Idol on the Crimson Idol 15th Anniversary Tour, there were dozens of people who seemed dumbfounded to the idea they were doing the whole album even though it was announced in the press release and on the venue websites.

I just can't attempt to give a shit what Joe Schmo Radio-Friendly ass-clown is expecting to get out of a Maiden show, and I don't think the band does either, which is just one more reason I like and truly respect what they're doing here. They're at the point in their career where they don't need to pander to anyone.

Sanitarium78
06-12-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't know a single person who's ever gone to a Maiden show just "to be entertained for the night" because they had nothing better to do. Everyone I've ever encountered at a Maiden show claimed to be a fan who cares enough to want to go see them. I really, really don't think Maiden attracts as much of that demographic of people as this post makes it out to be.

I agree that the band could've made the fact more public knowledge, but it still wouldn't have changed anything. I would bet my last dollar on that. No matter what bands do to "brace fans for impact", there's tons of oblivious-ness and bitching. When I saw WASP do all of the Crimson Idol on the Crimson Idol 15th Anniversary Tour, there were dozens of people who seemed dumbfounded to the idea they were doing the whole album even though it was announced in the press release and on the venue websites.

I just can't attempt to give a shit what Joe Schmo Radio-Friendly ass-clown is expecting to get out of a Maiden show, and I don't think the band does either, which is just one more reason I like and truly respect what they're doing here. They're at the point in their career where they don't need to pander to anyone.

All great points here. But if Maiden is gonna play for the more dedicated fan shouldn't they scale back their show and play smaller venues? It just seems odd that if they're catering to the diehards as to why they would still play 15 to 20 thousand capacity venues where they know the vast majority of the people there aren't gonna be aware of what they're playing.

You may have never encountered any people at Maiden shows who were just going because they wanted to be entertained for an evening or because it's Iron Maiden. But trust me at every show that takes place at a larger venue there are plenty of people there who have that attitude. In order to ween those people out Maiden should start playing medium sized arenas with a 4 to 6 thousand capacity in the US. They would have to scale back the show a little but it'll keep more casual fans out and they would mainly be playing for the diehards. I'm not sure if they would wanna do that though.

Damn, this is the first time Maiden has toured since I became a member here and I had no idea that only three shows into the tour the discussions about this would be so exhausting:lol:

larvtard
06-12-2010, 06:18 PM
All great points here. But if Maiden is gonna play for the more dedicated fan shouldn't they scale back their show and play smaller venues? It just seems odd that if they're catering to the diehards as to why they would still play 15 to 20 thousand capacity venues where they know the vast majority of the people there aren't gonna be aware of what they're playing.

You may have never encountered any people at Maiden shows who were just going because they wanted to be entertained for an evening or because it's Iron Maiden. But trust me at every show that takes place at a larger venue there are plenty of people there who have that attitude. In order to ween those people out Maiden should start playing medium sized arenas with a 4 to 6 thousand capacity in the US. They would have to scale back the show a little but it'll keep more casual fans out and they would mainly be playing for the diehards. I'm not sure if they would wanna do that though.

Damn, this is the first time Maiden has toured since I became a member here and I had no idea that only three shows into the tour the discussions about this would be so exhausting:lol:

That's the best point I've heard yet. Congrats :)
No one wants to accept the fact that a majority/near-majority of the audience is going for their 80s hits, but that's just plain denial man. It's a given.

Maiden33
06-12-2010, 06:26 PM

Well, in all fairness, the last two album tours in America were quite scaled back. Dance of Death was 4 (only 3 were done) nights in NYC at the Hammerstein Ballroom (capacity ~3,000), and two in California, to about 7,000 per show. That's it. And A Matter of life and Death was less than a dozen dates at amphitheaters in the fall, which meant the lawns were closed, so the venues capacities were ~7,000.

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 11:26 PM
why were the lawns closed?

Maiden33
06-12-2010, 11:31 PM
why were the lawns closed?

Semi-outdoor amphitheaters close their lawns from roughly October-April.

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 11:32 PM
even in Florida?

Maiden33
06-12-2010, 11:35 PM
even in Florida?

I wouldn't know. Doesn't apply to this case though, because Maiden didn't play Florida.

EvilCheeseWedge
06-13-2010, 09:14 AM
But if Maiden is gonna play for the more dedicated fan shouldn't they scale back their show and play smaller venues? It just seems odd that if they're catering to the diehards as to why they would still play 15 to 20 thousand capacity venues where they know the vast majority of the people there aren't gonna be aware of what they're playing.

This is a really good point.

Maiden33
06-13-2010, 09:16 AM
This is a really good point.

So is this:

Well, in all fairness, the last two album tours in America were quite scaled back. Dance of Death was 4 (only 3 were done) nights in NYC at the Hammerstein Ballroom (capacity ~3,000), and two in California, to about 7,000 per show. That's it. And A Matter of life and Death was less than a dozen dates at amphitheaters in the fall, which meant the lawns were closed, so the venues capacities were ~7,000.

Sanitarium78
06-13-2010, 12:03 PM

I didn't know that. But since Maiden hasn't come near my area on their own tour since 2000 i've haven't paid attention much attention to what other venues they've played. All I know is they seem to always book the larger venues in the US. I also wasn't aware that amphitheaters closed their lawn sections once the fall comes. The latest i've even seen a show at a amphitheater was September and the lawn was still opened.

I'm not talking about select dates on a tour like you are though. I'm talking about a full American tour in smaller venues. There's a bunch of medium sized arenas they could play and it would still be worth it. I just think it would be great to see them play for the dedicated fans with a whole tour in smaller venues. Their ability to fill the bigger venues is mainly because of what they did from '82-'88 not what they've done since 2000. If they do another "best of" tour than book the big places. But if they aren't gonna do that like on this tour, then they should play smaller places. That way you'll get less people showing up who don't know the newer stuff that well or at all.

rjturtle9
06-13-2010, 12:51 PM
I was checking out the photo slide show in the link and it seems as though the writer is deliberately poking fun at the crowd and the band.

Maiden33
06-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I was checking out the photo slide show in the link and it seems as though the writer is deliberately poking fun at the crowd and the band.

I gathered that as well, not aided by the quote: "perhaps 13 is the best age at which to appreciate Iron Maiden".

Dextrimental
06-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I personally think its simply that Maiden want to remain relevant, and want to sell their newer records, therefore play the newer material, people leaving the venue who haven't heard those records might like what they heard and go out and buy the records. However, they have a greatest hits CD, it was my first Maiden CD, and, in my opinion, you release a greatest hits CD, I believe you are obliged to forever play a selection of those hits every tour.

In all honesty, this setlist is awesome to me, it does what it says on the tin for where Maiden are, specially coming off their biggest tour ever, which was a greatest hits tour.

IrritatedTrout
06-13-2010, 01:29 PM
However, they have a greatest hits CD, it was my first Maiden CD, and, in my opinion, you release a greatest hits CD, I believe you are obliged to forever play a selection of those hits every tour.

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Iron Maiden
Fear of the Dark
The Number of the Beast
Running Free
Wrathchild

evildeadjedi
06-13-2010, 01:29 PM
However, they have a greatest hits CD, it was my first Maiden CD, and, in my opinion, you release a greatest hits CD, I believe you are obliged to forever play a selection of those hits every tour.

Which greatest hits CD? There are a few actually.

Edward the Great
Best of the Beast
The Essential Iron Maiden
Iron Maiden The Very Best

Some even refer to "Ed Hunter" as a greatest hits cd.

IrritatedTrout
06-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Edward the Great
Best of the Beast

Unofficial.

Somewhere Back in Time is the other best of.

evildeadjedi
06-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Unofficial.

Somewhere Back in Time is the other best of.

Oh yea I completely forgot about that one they have too many! :lol:

Dextrimental
06-13-2010, 02:49 PM

Edward the Great
Best of the Beast

Edward the Great is the one I have.. Case in point, if you have THAT many greatest hits CD's, thats four official, one bootleg and one compilation referred to as a greatest hits, you should play a selection of hits every gig.

SomewhereInTime72
06-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Edward the Great is the one I have.. Case in point, if you have THAT many greatest hits CD's, thats four official, one bootleg and one compilation referred to as a greatest hits, you should play a selection of hits every gig.

What is the reasoning behind this...?

Dextrimental
06-13-2010, 03:10 PM
What is the reasoning behind this...?

Because they are selling these songs to them in, what, four official greatest hits. that means that those songs are on the shelves, in studio recording format, in five different cds. thus increasing the odds of a kid, who is buying his first Maiden CD, hearing them for the first time and those songs being the ones that make him want to see them live. Basically, beyond guitar hero, these greatest hits are being offer proportionately more to the un-suspecting buyer than, say, 22 acacia avenue, or charlotte the harlot.. and yes, I am aware of the huge selection of live CD's too, but most of these hits are on nearly all of those two, thus increasing the chances of people being familiar with them.

IrritatedTrout
06-13-2010, 03:13 PM

They are. See above.

evildeadjedi
06-13-2010, 03:21 PM

That one is rather meh in my opinion like most greatest hits albums since they exclude many of the best tracks in favor of the radio hits. Well as previously mentioned they are playing Number of the Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Iron Maiden, Running Free, Fear of the Dark, and now Wrathchild so I think that's a good compromise to appease people looking for the "classics".

SomewhereInTime72
06-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Because they are selling these songs to them in, what, four official greatest hits. that means that those songs are on the shelves, in studio recording format, in five different cds. thus increasing the odds of a kid, who is buying his first Maiden CD, hearing them for the first time and those songs being the ones that make him want to see them live. Basically, beyond guitar hero, these greatest hits are being offer proportionately more to the un-suspecting buyer than, say, 22 acacia avenue, or charlotte the harlot.. and yes, I am aware of the huge selection of live CD's too, but most of these hits are on nearly all of those two, thus increasing the chances of people being familiar with them.

Still not getting the connection.

Are you saying that songs people are more likely to know are the songs that they should play? I fundamentally disagree with such a sentiment.

mankvill
06-13-2010, 03:31 PM

Are you saying that songs people are more likely to know are the songs that they should play? I fundamentally disagree with such a sentiment.

Yup.

I commend Maiden for taking some risks on this tour.

Dextrimental
06-13-2010, 03:43 PM

Yes, but not in the sense that they should do ALL of them, I think they should always do three or four, 5 or 6 if they can. Simple besause statistically, kids who are buying their first Maiden CD have a high chance of hearing these songs more than others and wanting to see MAiden cuz of them, because theyre on like 6 or 7 cds, including live albums. obviously im not sayin they shouldnt take risks, i just bleieve if a band have a greatest hits CD, an official one, they should always play some songs from it.

mankvill
06-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Yes, but not in the sense that they should do ALL of them, I think they should always do three or four, 5 or 6 if they can. Simple besause statistically, kids who are buying their first Maiden CD have a high chance of hearing these songs more than others and wanting to see MAiden cuz of them, because theyre on like 6 or 7 cds, including live albums. obviously im not sayin they shouldnt take risks, i just bleieve if a band have a greatest hits CD, an official one, they should always play some songs from it.

Wrathchild
Fear Of The Dark
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Number Of The Beast

And several tours before this had even more "hits"

If they did only hits this time around, next time someone would be bitching and using the exact same argument. Maiden will never be able to please everyone, but the tour they're doing now is the logical next step for them touring.

Sanitarium78
06-13-2010, 03:46 PM

I tried talking to him about something similar the other day and he just doesn't get it at all. So save your words because he's not budging no matter what you tell him.

Dextrimental
06-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Wrathchild
Fear Of The Dark
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Number Of The Beast

And several tours before this had even more "hits"

If they did only hits this time around, next time someone would be bitching and using the exact same argument. Maiden will never be able to please everyone, but the tour they're doing now is the logical next step for them touring.

I actually have no problems with this setlist, Iv praised their current one alot, im just making the point because quite a few people are of the standing that maiden are under no obilgation to play any, which I believe they. Theyre a smart band, made the least amount of mistakes with setlists amongst most of the bands I like.

SomewhereInTime72
06-13-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm not the one making up rules about what bands should be playing. :eyes:

Dextrimental
06-13-2010, 04:07 PM
I tried talking to him about something similar the other day and he just doesn't get it at all. So save your words because he's not budging no matter what you tell him.

Figured as much, thought Id try my hand anyway. :)

mankvill
06-13-2010, 04:10 PM
I actually have no problems with this setlist, Iv praised their current one alot, im just making the point because quite a few people are of the standing that maiden are under no obilgation to play any, which I believe they. Theyre a smart band, made the least amount of mistakes with setlists amongst most of the bands I like.

I understand, and real Iron Maiden fans should be stoked at this setlist. Lots of really good cuts off the reunion-era albums.

It's just a fact that all the US non-album tours (not even counting other parts of the world) have been chock full of "the hits" from Maiden. They've yet to do an "era" tour for the reunion material, so this is the next logical step for them.

Yes, there are young fans who will be seeing Maiden for the first time on this tour, but that can be said of any tour.

Dextrimental
06-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I understand, and real Iron Maiden fans should be stoked at this setlist. Lots of really good cuts off the reunion-era albums.

It's just a fact that all the US non-album tours (not even counting other parts of the world) have been chock full of "the hits" from Maiden. They've yet to do an "era" tour for the reunion material, so this is the next logical step for them.

Yes, there are young fans who will be seeing Maiden for the first time on this tour, but that can be said of any tour.

Fair ball, you guys do get the short end of the stick with every tour they do, which is something I am still failing to understand as they could do a full sweep if they wanted to. And I will agree that being reunion heavy is the best foot forward, just pointing out the classic should still be there, which they are.. and they should always remember to put a couple in there..

mankvill
06-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Fair ball, you guys do get the short end of the stick with every tour they do, which is something I am still failing to understand as they could do a full sweep if they wanted to. And I will agree that being reunion heavy is the best foot forward, just pointing out the classic should still be there, which they are.. and they should always remember to put a couple in there..

I'd be fine without them playing "classics", but they'd better have a damn good set otherwise.

And I'm totally fine without Run To The Hills. I love NOTB though, and I'd like to hear The Trooper, but everything else is cool.

Dextrimental
06-13-2010, 04:31 PM
I'd be fine without them playing "classics", but they'd better have a damn good set otherwise.

And I'm totally fine without Run To The Hills. I love NOTB though, and I'd like to hear The Trooper, but everything else is cool.

Yeah, i wouldn mind if they replaced 'classics' woith bloody good songs, like losfer words, that would be epic. But thats just me, I still think they should be included, just as a rule of thumb or whatever.

No RTTH is fine by me, though I would like to see it live once for novelty factor, NOTB is epic, Hallowed and Fear of the Dark, well, regardless of how well they do them live, theyre still fuckin awesome songs for the live atmosphere.. this setlist, bar the AMOLAD material, is absolutely beautiful if im honest, only one song could be added, and thats Nomad, its my favorite maiden song, if they added that I would cry.

SomewhereInTime72
06-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Actually, they need to break out Flash of the Blade and The Duellists. Pretty sure it was said that the reasons those songs (and a few other songs from that era) were never played live were because they couldn't pull off what they did in the studio in a live setting (i.e. with only 2 guitars), and that with 3 guitarists now they felt comfortable playing all of the material live (hence AMOLAD tour). So now I think they should break out some of those old fucking songs they never played before and now can. :hmm:

mankvill
06-13-2010, 04:41 PM
POWERSLAVE IN ITS ENTIRETY

TonyD
06-13-2010, 04:44 PM
POWERSLAVE IN ITS ENTIRETY

:powerslav

Sanitarium78
06-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Actually, they need to break out Flash of the Blade and The Duellists. Pretty sure it was said that the reasons those songs (and a few other songs from that era) were never played live were because they couldn't pull off what they did in the studio in a live setting (i.e. with only 2 guitars), and that with 3 guitarists now they felt comfortable playing all of the material live (hence AMOLAD tour). So now I think they should break out some of those old fucking songs they never played before and now can. :hmm:

What you said here does bring up an intresting question though. That is, why Maiden is so quick to bust out deep cuts with the new material this tour but so hesistant to do that with the old stuff? Because like you said, with 3 guitar players they should be able to pull off a wider range of material live. Maybe, it's just one of those mysteries I guess:confused:

SomewhereInTime72
06-13-2010, 05:05 PM
What you said here does bring up an intresting question though. That is, why Maiden is so quick to bust out deep cuts with the new material this tour but so hesistant to do that with the old stuff? Because like you said, with 3 guitar players they should be able to pull off a wider range of material live. Maybe, it's just one of those mysteries I guess:confused:

I think they have busted out some "deep cuts" from the older material, specifically on the SBIT and early days tours. Just only to a certain degree. Nothing totally crazy like Alexander or Still Life. :mad: However, it seems to me that if Maiden don't play a song on the tour for the album it's on, it will never ever ever see the light of day. :bouville: :bouville: :bouville:

Too bad they didn't do an AMOLAD style tour for every album so that we wouldn't have this problem. :eyes: :tongue:

DethMaiden
06-13-2010, 05:11 PM

I think that the answer is that as great as they are as a band and as ballsy as some of their recent setlists have been, they're still kind of lazy. Arranging a song for three guitars that's never been done before, learning a song for the stage that they haven't played in 25 years, and coming up with an intro/backdrop/presentation for is just more effort than they're willing to put in. The new shit they're doing is still relatively fresh on their mind, has been played live before, and was written for a six-piece. Just sayin'.

Maiden33
06-13-2010, 06:57 PM
I think that the answer is that as great as they are as a band and as ballsy as some of their recent setlists have been, they're still kind of lazy. Arranging a song for three guitars that's never been done before, learning a song for the stage that they haven't played in 25 years, and coming up with an intro/backdrop/presentation for is just more effort than they're willing to put in. The new shit they're doing is still relatively fresh on their mind, has been played live before, and was written for a six-piece. Just sayin'.

Yeah, this.

Wow, these threads just keep going, haha.

This one needs more Mankvill "kid-in-Maiden-shirt" graphics though. :D