PDA

View Full Version : Bands that make you want to start a band

DethMaiden
06-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Alright, Cameron and I have discussed this after concerts in the past, but for the rest of you: aren't there just some bands who, whether they're your favorites, or whether you even necessarily love them, make you want to start a band? They make it look like something that you could feasibly do, and have fun doing. Just curious if anyone else has bands like that, that after listening to them or seeing them live, you say "Damn, I should be doing this."

For me, these are the big ones:

-Lungs: Dayton post-rock outfit that do the loud-soft thing at a perfectly acceptable degree of awesomeness. They won't make any top 10 lists, but they have fans and people get that emotional rush at their shows.
-Krisiun: It's not particularly amazing death metal, but they're such energetic and great live performers, and they steer clear of all the "br00tal" as well as overly technical temptations inherent in the genre today.
-Off With Their Heads: Catchy, hooky, simple, honest punk rock with great workingmens' lyrics and mosh-ready energy.

Div
06-04-2010, 11:21 AM
if i could choose id make a municipal waste/slough feg hybrid band

:D

ravenheart
06-04-2010, 11:30 AM
They make it look like something that you could feasibly do

Paul Di'Anno.

SomewhereInTime72
06-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Not in a band, but it's mostly soundtracks that inspire me to write music, nowadays.

Maiden33
06-04-2010, 11:40 AM
The best answer to this question for me is Edguy. They've always been their own management, produced their own albums, have a shit-ton of fun, have been the same core line-up for over a decade a now, and of course write/play music I really love. Watching them on and off-stage is really inspiring to me, that's what I think a band should be.

powerslave_85
06-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I realllly want to be in a band in the style of Off With Their Heads or Dillinger Four.

ravenheart
06-04-2010, 12:20 PM
produced their own albums

Well... they help Sascha Paeth a bit... ;)

Maiden33
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Well... they help Sascha Paeth a bit... ;)

I guess I should've said "until Rocket Ride", because the first 6 were all them. I'm not really sure why they started to work with Sascha, the last two albums don't really sound any better or different. Actually I might prefer the "Hellfire Club" production to both of them.

mankvill
06-04-2010, 12:31 PM
High On Fire.

ravenheart
06-04-2010, 12:32 PM
I guess I should've said "until Rocket Ride", because the first 6 were all them. I'm not really sure why they started to work with Sascha, the last two albums don't really sound any better or different. Actually I might prefer the "Hellfire Club" production to both of them.

Didn't Timo Tolkki produce one?

Maiden33
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Didn't Timo Tolkki produce one?

Nope, just mixed Vain Glory Opera.

ravenheart
06-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Nope, just mixed Vain Glory Opera.

Aha, just dimly remembered his name being associated.

mankvill
06-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Also Radiohead.

idrinkwine732
06-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Cormorant: These guys are incredible musicians, nice guys, and love what they do. If I could make a living doing what these guys do, I would die a happy man.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Post-Rock is my favorite non-metal genre, and these guys are so fucking good it makes me angry that I don't have any instrumental ability to create music in their honor.

Agalloch: If you ever hear my name in the lineup of a band, and we get accused of being Agalloch-clones, they're right. It's what I want to play, and if I had any ability, what would be my main inspiration.

ravenheart
06-04-2010, 05:19 PM
See I don't even consider bands I want to be like because I know I can't/won't. Hence Paul Di'Anno. Because if I wanted to, I could.

MPF
06-04-2010, 07:45 PM
The bands that made me wanna be a drummer:

Metallica
Dream Theater
Avenged Sevenfold
Clutch
Strapping Young Lad
Death
King's X

evildeadjedi
06-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Clutch

JP is fucking amazing! :rocker::bowdown::bowdown:

I swear, the hands and soul of Bonham were transferred into an overweight manly man now known as Jean Paul Gaster.

Crionics
06-04-2010, 08:34 PM
AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, and Black Sabbath made me pick up a guitar, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, and Slayer made me want to play more metal, Death, Mayhem, and Skeletonwitch made me want to add a lot of "spice" to my playing.

ChildrenofSodom
06-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Most post-rock bands make me want to start a band. Very simple, it seems, and DIY.

MPF
06-04-2010, 09:35 PM
JP is fucking amazing! :rocker::bowdown::bowdown:

I swear, the hands and soul of Bonham were transferred into an overweight manly man now known as Jean Paul Gaster.

Abso-fucking-lutely!

JP is the greatest single bass, single pedal drummer, this generation will ever hear.

Maiden33
06-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Abso-fucking-lutely!

JP is the greatest single bass, single pedal drummer, this generation will ever hear.

I'm assuming "this generation" cancels out Nicko McBrain?

DethMaiden
06-04-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm assuming "this generation" cancels out Nicko McBrain?

Man, I like Maiden more than Clutch, but there is no way Nicko can compete with JP. Being as objective as I can be, there's no one who can do so much with so few drums besides Buddy Rich. I won't pretend Dan Maines is as good as 'Arry or that Tim Sult can outplay H or Dave...but JP is where it's at.

evildeadjedi
06-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Abso-fucking-lutely!

Truly, when he is playing he makes it look so effortless most the time.

Maiden33
06-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Man, I like Maiden more than Clutch, but there is no way Nicko can compete with JP. Being as objective as I can be, there's no one who can do so much with so few drums besides Buddy Rich. I won't pretend Dan Maines is as good as 'Arry or that Tim Sult can outplay H or Dave...but JP is where it's at.

I'm not saying anything about Nicko's ability to do "more with less drums", because he's not even a THOUGHT in that category.

But I played drums for a few years (and am still really into the technicality of the instrument), and I've never heard a drummer touch Nicko in terms of single-bass-pedal ability.

mankvill
06-04-2010, 09:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL0JZb0sW6w

eh?

Dissimulate
06-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm not saying anything about Nicko's ability to do "more with less drums", because he's not even a THOUGHT in that category.

But I played drums for a few years (and am still really into the technicality of the instrument), and I've never heard a drummer touch Nicko in terms of single-bass-pedal ability.
Kollias also frequently uses a single kick pedal.

MPF
06-04-2010, 11:07 PM
I love Nicko, but JP is way more of an inspiration to me.

Of course Nicko is the shining example that you can be Metal without double bass, but JP proves that John Bonham still exists in the form of Clutch and The Bakerton Group.

It might also have to do with the fact that I grew up with Clutch in my system before I really discovered Maiden. I do love both bands almost equally but for me. Jean-Paul Gaster is the fucking best single bass drummer around!

Kollias also frequently uses a single kick pedal.

Yes he does, and he is also the reason for when I do blast beats, I do not play them with double bass. Sounds so much better with single bass blasts.

InPatient5100
06-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Cormorant: These guys are incredible musicians, nice guys, and love what they do. If I could make a living doing what these guys do, I would die a happy man.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor: Post-Rock is my favorite non-metal genre, and these guys are so fucking good it makes me angry that I don't have any instrumental ability to create music in their honor.

Agalloch: If you ever hear my name in the lineup of a band, and we get accused of being Agalloch-clones, they're right. It's what I want to play, and if I had any ability, what would be my main inspiration.

are you sure about that bro?

ravenheart
06-05-2010, 04:16 AM
are you sure about that bro?

Seems sound to me...

InPatient5100
06-05-2010, 04:37 AM
Damageplan and Hell Yeah

ravenheart
06-05-2010, 05:00 AM
Damageplan and Hell Yeah

Like them both but neither of them make me want to do anything except put a Pantera CD on...

InPatient5100
06-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Hell Yeah is better than Pantera in my opinion because of the vocals not Damageplan tho.

mastodon421
06-05-2010, 06:19 AM
The Black Dahlia Murder. They seem like they a lot of fun of making their music and they just keep getting better. If I was in a band that is what I would aspire to do.

InPatient5100
06-05-2010, 06:29 AM
The Black Dahlia Murder. They seem like they a lot of fun of making their music and they just keep getting better. If I was in a band that is what I would aspire to do.

I agree completely

InPatient5100
06-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Hell Yeah is better than Pantera in my opinion because of the vocals not Damageplan tho.

I kno I'll prob get flamed for saying this but I just listened to the first song off the last Pantera and last Hell Yeah cd, and the vocals on the Hell Yeah were far superior.

ravenheart
06-05-2010, 10:31 AM
That reminds me, I need to listen to the new Hellyeah album...

ravenheart
06-05-2010, 10:32 AM
not Damageplan tho.

That's because Damageplan's vocalist is really a guitarist, and he should have stuck to it.

Maiden33
06-05-2010, 11:30 AM
That's because Damageplan's vocalist is really a guitarist, and he should have stuck to it.

Halford FTW.

InPatient5100
06-06-2010, 12:58 AM
LoG also for me

ravenheart
06-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Halford FTW.

Absolutely. He should have stayed.

InPatient5100
06-06-2010, 09:47 AM
DevilDriver also

DethMaiden
06-06-2010, 09:56 AM
DevilDriver also

Are you trying to run up your post count by posting every time any fleeting thought occurs to you?

makethemsuffer12
06-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Damageplan and Hell Yeah

And you think Kingdom of Sorrow sucks...

InPatient5100
06-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Yes, I do